Forum Jump: 
 26Likes

post #1 of 34 Old 04-24-2015, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1330 Post(s)
Liked: 1358
Mother of god!

A madman has decided to put the SI24 driver with a 4 kW SpeakerPower amp in a commercial subwoofer! Deep Sea Sound

I had the opportunity to hear this thing today. IT IS AWESOME!

More details and pics to come in a few days...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 04-24-2015, 09:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 104
How does the cost compare with DIY versions ?
post #3 of 34 Old 04-25-2015, 05:57 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Looks very intriguing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 Old 04-25-2015, 06:41 AM - Thread Starter

If I remember right, I think the cost was $4k for one. Considering the cost of the driver and amp, that is a really good deal. The driver alone is $1600. In most commercial subs, the driver cost constitutes a minor fraction of the end price, even though it is the most critical part in determining the sub's performance. That, of course, makes this a sub with performance as the absolute highest priority. $4k is pricey, of course, but considering the amount of air displacement it offers for the dollar, it really is a bargain. It would be the most powerful sealed sub that I know of, likely far surpassing even the JTR S2.
gkf15 likes this.
post #5 of 34 Old 04-25-2015, 06:52 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post
If I remember right, I think the cost was $4k for one. Considering the cost of the driver and amp, that is a really good deal. The driver alone is $1600. In most commercial subs, the driver cost constitutes a minor fraction of the end price, even though it is the most critical part in determining the sub's performance. That, of course, makes this a sub with performance as the absolute highest priority. $4k is pricey, of course, but considering the amount of air displacement it offers for the dollar, it really is a bargain. It would be the most powerful sealed sub that I know of, likely far surpassing even the JTR S2.
And the speaker power amp retails for around $1500. So driver is $1600 and amp is $1500. That is only around $900 left for box design and construction and profit margin. Unless he can obtain better deals on the above pricing than is advertised. Still sounds like quite a reasonable price if $4000 is correct. Given that the speaker power amp is only available to OEM's and is an awesome amp, this could be challenging to replicate in DIY (at that price).
shadyJ and gkf15 like this.

Last edited by yosh7; 04-25-2015 at 06:55 AM.
post #6 of 34 Old 04-25-2015, 08:00 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 8853
The SI24 is a beast.

Last edited by basshead81; 04-25-2015 at 08:08 AM.
post #7 of 34 Old 04-25-2015, 02:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1168 Post(s)
Liked: 986
I have two of these in my room and have pictures posted in the Deep Sea Sound thread..

Compared to what I have heard/had in my room, these are the real deal and a game changer.
gkf15 likes this.
post #8 of 34 Old 04-25-2015, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIEGAR View Post
Thanks for posting. Can't wait to see your pics of this beast!
I'll post pics in the Deep Sea Sound thread.
post #9 of 34 Old 04-26-2015, 10:24 AM
Deep Sea Sound

Mentioned: 219 Post(s)
Quoted: 1781 Post(s)
Liked: 1703
ShadyJ - Loved your post - I resemble that remark! Then again, there are many that resemble that remark on AVS. It was great meeting and talking with you. I liked the SI HS24 driver so much when I heard it, I decided to start a company around it. I believe it is that good and I'm glad to hear others agree.
gkf15 and shadyJ like this.
post #10 of 34 Old 04-26-2015, 10:08 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 114 Post(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked: 806
Quote:
I'll post pics in the Deep Sea Sound thread.
ShadyJ, thanks for stopping by the room again today and thanks for donating your two test CD's to me to use at my house. That one track that dropped down to the single digits was just nuts. I took a video of that track and I'll upload it after I get some rest and am able to post it tomorrow. Even though it looks and sounds impressive we were still only tickling the 24's at 1" or maybe 1.5" of total cone travel even at the deepest moments in that track.
shadyJ and gkf15 like this.
post #11 of 34 Old 04-27-2015, 12:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrodynamic View Post
ShadyJ, thanks for stopping by the room again today and thanks for donating your two test CD's to me to use at my house. That one track that dropped down to the single digits was just nuts. I took a video of that track and I'll upload it after I get some rest and am able to post it tomorrow. Even though it looks and sounds impressive we were still only tickling the 24's at 1" or maybe 1.5" of total cone travel even at the deepest moments in that track.
Glad you enjoyed it. By the way, here is a post I made with info about that pipe organ track, but I will just repost it here:
Quote:
Saint-Saëns: Organ Symphony, excerpt from second movement (Poco Adagio). The infamous track 1 from Hsu's demo CD which they send with some of their subs models. Here is a description:Quote:WARNING: When playing this track for the first time, lower the volume, as your woofers may be at risk. The bottom octave of this recording may damage vented or planar loudspeakers. (The opening string passage should be quite soft.) Boston Civic Symphony conducted by Max Hobart, James David Christie, organist. Two AKG 414 ORTF cardioids, about the third row in Boston’s Jordan Hall, spring 1983. This was one of the last times that the Jordan Hall organ, already showing signs of serious asthma, was heard in a public performance. [Micha Schattner]

Here is a spectral analysis of one of the infrasonic passages:

As you can see, a massive 16 Hz note, produced from a 32' organ pipe, a CCCC, meaning its a C note four octaves below middle C (middle C is 261.6 Hz). However, it is such a clean note it does not sound as thunderous as one would expect, but when it hits it gives the song such underlying presence. I will add it is a very beautiful recording. You can get the recording from the Boston Acoustic Society, or you could just buy one of Hsu's subs.
A funny bit of trivia for anyone reading this thread: the guy who made the SI24 driver literally developed nausea after repeatedly listening to this tune on his own product, and not because its a bad tune, but because of the physical effects of such powerful sustained deep bass!
post #12 of 34 Old 04-27-2015, 07:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Glad you enjoyed it. By the way, here is a post I made with info about that pipe organ track, but I will just repost it here:

A funny bit of trivia for anyone reading this thread: the guy who made the SI24 driver literally developed nausea after repeatedly listening to this tune on his own product, and not because its a bad tune, but because of the physical effects of such powerful sustained deep bass!
Thanks for the graph. It is a huge sustained note focused right at 16 Hz. And yes, having fun with that note one one of David's Deep Sea Sound 24" offerings literally made me feel sick after playing the track three times in a row.

Coincidentally I played the same track on my home DO HST-11 subwoofer system to find out that I have an air leak around one screw that holds down the woofer. Time to pull each screw and seal the surround again one-by-one.
post #13 of 34 Old 04-27-2015, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter

Before you get carried away with the track again, you should think about taking some dramamine- that might help with the nausea. Perhaps that is an accessory Dave can sell with the Marianas, dramamine pills specially formulated to prevent bass sickness; it does fit in with the 'deep sea' theme of the company name!
post #14 of 34 Old 04-27-2015, 10:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Before you get carried away with the track again, you should think about taking some dramamine- that might help with the nausea. Perhaps that is an accessory Dave can sell with the Marianas, dramamine pills specially formulated to prevent bass sickness; it does fit in with the 'deep sea' theme of the company name!
ShadyJ, your two demo disks are nuts.

Here are screen shots of various music tracks from your disks on my DO HST-11's:

WTF:

Beginning of a track:

More into the track:

Intro to the organ track:

Further into the track:

And the end of the track:

shadyJ likes this.
post #15 of 34 Old 04-27-2015, 10:23 PM
Advanced Member

And here is the SkyFall Train Crash scene:

shadyJ likes this.
post #16 of 34 Old 04-27-2015, 10:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2524 Post(s)
Liked: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrodynamic View Post
Okay Nick, I think you've had enough time to rest up. I know there's others just like me waiting to see this video you've mentioned!...lol
post #17 of 34 Old 04-27-2015, 11:00 PM - Thread Starter

Your spectragrams are way better than mine! I really should get into Spectrum Lab, but I would need a decent mic first. And yeah, I can see that Skyfall scene has some serious bass now. That scene is a doozie.

By the way, if you wanted to see some pictures of some of the exhibits from AXPONA, I made a thread with lots of pics here. However, I have to warn you there is a monster at the end of that thread which you may recognize, so tread carefully.
post #18 of 34 Old 04-28-2015, 08:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post
Okay Nick, I think you've had enough time to rest up. I know there's others just like me waiting to see this video you've mentioned!...lol
Here is the crazy bass track on the DSS (Deep Sea Sound) 24:

shadyJ, jbrown15, GIEGAR and 2 others like this.

Last edited by Electrodynamic; 04-28-2015 at 08:22 PM.
post #19 of 34 Old 04-28-2015, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter

Great video! But that's not the pipe organ track, that one is called Bassline Terrorthon. And that sucker is plunging down to the single digits, probably one of the few things that we could play which could cause visible cone movement with the 24. Here is a spectragram of that passage, as it descends in frequency- note my spectral analysis program does not draw below 10 hz, but you can easily see there is a lot of energy in the single digits after a certain point:

By the way, I found your thread at data-bass.com about your DO HST-11, that thing is awesome! The amount of displacement you are getting from those woofers is amazing. I can't believe there there would be a subwoofer anywhere in the world that could beat it for the performance/size. Really nice work on that one!
post #20 of 34 Old 04-28-2015, 09:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Great video! But that's not the pipe organ track, that one is called Bassline Terrorthon. And that sucker is plunging down to the single digits, probably one of the few things that we could play which could cause visible cone movement with the 24. Here is a spectragram of that passage, as it descends in frequency- note my spectral analysis program does not draw below 10 hz, but you can easily see there is a lot of energy in the single digits after a certain point:

By the way, I found your thread at data-bass.com about your DO HST-11, that thing is awesome! The amount of displacement you are getting from those woofers is amazing. I can't believe there there would be a subwoofer anywhere in the world that could beat it for the performance/size. Really nice work on that one!
Yeah I realized that I uploaded the wrong video so I edited the post accordingly. I'm uploading the pipe organ track video right now. It should be live in less than one minute.
post #21 of 34 Old 04-28-2015, 09:08 PM
Advanced Member

Pipe organ track video of the Deep Sea Sound 24:

shadyJ and GIEGAR like this.
post #22 of 34 Old 04-29-2015, 09:01 AM
Deep Sea Sound

Nice videos but I like this one, here's a video of the Mariana24SR subwoofer playing the Skyfall subway train crash scene. Even though the video may make it sound like there was subwoofer motor noise, there was none, that was simply the phone microphone not handling the loud sound in the room.

GIEGAR and Electrodynamic like this.
post #23 of 34 Old 05-01-2015, 10:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1138 Post(s)
Liked: 1076
just a query from an inquiring mind in regards to magnetic fields and subs. I assume that most subwoofer drivers are not magnetically shielded, including this ones 80 pound monster motor, as stated. Does anyone have any idea how far the magnetic field might extend from the cabinet, if at all. Lets say you actually feel the need to buy 2 of these and set them up on either side of a couch as mine are now, sitting about 3 feet from each arm. Could one be sitting inside the magnetic field they generate. Or, if one decides to lay down and take a nap, could you be giving your head a nice magnetic resonance massage while doing so.
post #24 of 34 Old 05-01-2015, 11:49 AM
Deep Sea Sound

Shivaji - I really don't have the equipment, actually I don't know what equipment is needed to measure a magnetic field so I really can't answer your question. I will say that while the magnet is really powerful, it is a ferrite magnet so doesn't have the same power as a neodymium magnet, then again, if it were neo, it wouldn't need to be 80 pounds. The magnet is in the middle of the cabinet and so it is a good 12-14" from the sides of the cabinet. On the workbench, if I get a screw too close to the magnet, it will jump to the magnet but that is within 4 inches or so. So while I can't answer your question scientifically like I'd like, I don't think it would be an issue. If you were to buy one and find it actually did interfere with you, I'd pay to have it shipped back and give you a full refund.
Pawee likes this.

David Gage
Deep Sea Sound
"You don't listen to our subs, you EXPERIENCE them!"
post #25 of 34 Old 05-01-2015, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter

You would use a gauss meter to measure the magnetic field, but there won't be any problems with the field of the Deep Sea Sound subs. The motor of the sub won't interfere with anything that isn't super sensitive. It's motor doesn't have that much more of a magnetic field than many 18"s out there which have less of a distance from magnet to cabinet wall. Leave the driver inside the cabinet and your magnetically sensitive stuff should be fine.
post #26 of 34 Old 05-01-2015, 01:32 PM
Deep Sea Sound

Quote:
You would use a gauss meter to measure the magnetic field, but there won't be any problems with the field of the Deep Sea Sound subs. The motor of the sub won't interfere with anything that isn't super sensitive. It's motor doesn't have that much more of a magnetic field than many 18"s out there which have less of a distance from magnet to cabinet wall. Leave the driver inside the cabinet and your magnetically sensitive stuff should be fine.
Thanks James. I concur. I did some research and while there are less expensive gauss meters, I'd probably need to spend $350-500 for a decently accurate one. I agree the cabinet is significantly larger than an 18" sub and I've never heard anyone complain about those. Doubt there is anything to worry about but the offer still stands for you to order one and if you have a sensitivity, I will pay to have it shipped back.

Actually, I'd be more concerned with you having an inner ear sensitivity due to the charging of the air in the room with a near field sub as powerful as the Mariana 24SR or 24SC. ShadyJ was there on Saturday when we were pushing the volume some and there were times I could feel a sensation in my ear.

David Gage
Deep Sea Sound
"You don't listen to our subs, you EXPERIENCE them!"

Last edited by dgage; 05-01-2015 at 01:41 PM.
post #27 of 34 Old 05-01-2015, 05:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1138 Post(s)
Liked: 1076
Thanks for the responses and congratulations on your subwoofer creation and setting up a business. i would love to hear it in action one day.
post #28 of 34 Old 05-03-2015, 07:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1189 Post(s)
Liked: 876
That's pretty sweet, 4 corners of those should qualify as epic in my book. 24" drivers probably barely move during most normal listening which should make for a very clear and distortion free sound.

Blazar!
post #29 of 34 Old 05-03-2015, 07:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1189 Post(s)
Liked: 876
Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaji View Post
just a query from an inquiring mind in regards to magnetic fields and subs. I assume that most subwoofer drivers are not magnetically shielded, including this ones 80 pound monster motor, as stated. Does anyone have any idea how far the magnetic field might extend from the cabinet, if at all. Lets say you actually feel the need to buy 2 of these and set them up on either side of a couch as mine are now, sitting about 3 feet from each arm. Could one be sitting inside the magnetic field they generate. Or, if one decides to lay down and take a nap, could you be giving your head a nice magnetic resonance massage while doing so.
Don't put your floppy discs on that thing, your pirated copy of "King's Quest" will almost surely be erased!

Blazar!
post #30 of 34 Old 05-04-2015, 01:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:

Hi ShadyJ, that would be an interesting proposition if it would be competing with the JTR S2. Just out of curiosity how did you calculate that? I know people say very good things about that driver in the JTR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page