Official Deep Sea Sound Thread - Page 27 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2239Likes

post #781 of 2003 Old 09-01-2015, 06:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2018 Post(s)
Liked: 983
I demand Olympus has Fallen Washington monument scene Yosh! Wasn't that scene the single most demanding yet to be released on a blu ray? I think it hits like 132db at reference? Or am I totally mistaken... Great scene but I love the VERY beginning when a jet slashes from upper left to bottom right. If running bass hot its nuts!

Coach you mean like modify your house curve down a bit? I did that also after developing my last one. I prefer a 4-6db rise from 100hz to 30hz the flat behind that. I had like 9db rise there to start.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #782 of 2003 Old 09-01-2015, 06:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 939 Post(s)
Liked: 444
@dgage Congrats on delivering quadruplets
I'm motivated to find a couple of rca splitters
dgage likes this.
post #783 of 2003 Old 09-01-2015, 06:51 PM
Deep Sea Sound

Mentioned: 219 Post(s)
Quoted: 1781 Post(s)
Liked: 1703
Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post
This appears to be the general consensus from all that have experienced the 24's in action. Even a consensus from owners still doesn't give the full perspective. Regardless of what we say, one still has to experience it first hand to understand.

Kind of an endless cycle...lol.

@dgage, have you considered approaching any local audio boutique stores about putting one of your subs on their floor to demo? Meh, I'm sure there would be a whole host of politics to wade though, but it seems like a fun exercise from a business standpoint.

I know you have been going to a lot of audio shows over the past year or so, but getting one of your monsters in a high end boutique store might be good exposure to clientele with more money than sense...

Obviously such a venture would have to be lucrative for the audio shop, so a $8,000 maple burl masterpiece sounds about right. Hell, even if they had the common sense to research your brand to get ID pricing, it would still be a win for you.

Meh, I'm sure it's not that easy, but...why not...
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
Yep, I like the idea for sure. I have some guys that I know pretty well from years ago that just moved their shop to a new location right near my house. They are just setting up their demo rooms and a mariana night fit nicely right in the front room
Before I respond to these, I'm going to compare against the JL Gotham with an MSRP of $12,000. Realize that it would take at least 2 and maybe 3 JL Gotham subs to equal the output of a single Mariana 24. Josh has 4 Mariana 24s of which he could have purchased 3 Mariana 24s or a single JL Gotham. I pointed out to Josh that he has one of the best sub systems in the world and he got it for a bargain.

Now I brought up the JL Gotham because it is pertinent to the points being raised of retail and custom integrating using my subs. The reality is the JL Gotham has more in profit margin than a single Mariana 24 even costs. Of the shops I've talked to, I'm not sure if the issue is the profit margin, brand loyalty, or the thought that a 24" can't sound good but the response I received was not very good. But in due time I'll definitely take a sub by a shop and see if they are courageous enough to put my sub against their best sub. What I'd like to see is more system integrators/installers willing to install DSS subs not for the money, which I've discussed giving CIs discounts, but at this point they'd have to choose my subs to give their customers the best performance as opposed to making the most money on an individual job. With how hard business is out there, I'm not holding my breath.

David Gage
Deep Sea Sound
"You don't listen to our subs, you EXPERIENCE them!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #784 of 2003 Old 09-01-2015, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1168 Post(s)
Liked: 986
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlpowell84 View Post
I demand Olympus has Fallen Washington monument scene Yosh! Wasn't that scene the single most demanding yet to be released on a blu ray? I think it hits like 132db at reference? Or am I totally mistaken... Great scene but I love the VERY beginning when a jet slashes from upper left to bottom right. If running bass hot its nuts!

Coach you mean like modify your house curve down a bit? I did that also after developing my last one. I prefer a 4-6db rise from 100hz to 30hz the flat behind that. I had like 9db rise there to start.
I am not sure exactly what I need to do, but I need to dial it down a bit so I can get the overall volume up some without shaking things in the room/house to a distracting level. Again - my room has some "loose" items that need tightened up so they don't rattle.
Molon_Labe likes this.
post #785 of 2003 Old 09-01-2015, 07:09 PM
Deep Sea Sound

Oops! I forgot the most important pictures. By the way Josh, the files I sent you can be opened with Room EQ Wizard.

And notice for those thinking the deep bass is just because Josh bought 4 subs; "only" 2 subs (front pair) have the same low frequency extension, starting to roll off at 7 Hz.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	All 4 Subs wAudy_All 4 Subs_2 Subs.jpg
Views:	421
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	919554  

David Gage
Deep Sea Sound

Last edited by dgage; 09-01-2015 at 07:13 PM.
post #786 of 2003 Old 09-01-2015, 07:10 PM
Deep Sea Sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereWolf84 View Post
Thanks for the pictures

The 4 Mariana-24 placed on each corner of the room? I just spot 2 Mariana-24 placed on front left and rear left corner, maybe another hide behind the AT screen?
Mirrored on opposite side of the room. So you see the front left and mid-wall left. There are corresponding subs in the same positions on the right.

David Gage
Deep Sea Sound
post #787 of 2003 Old 09-01-2015, 07:14 PM
Deep Sea Sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by COACH2369 View Post
Glad you are loving them! Do yourself a favor and watch "John Wick". The scene where he is using the sledge hammer on his basement floor is AWESOME....along with the first gun scenes in his house and the club scene.. Great demo material!
Josh and I talked about John Wick to demo and he went out and purchased it just for us to demo. Definitely great demo material for a sub...just wish I could use it at a show/exhibit but with the language and violence...uh, no.

David Gage
Deep Sea Sound
post #788 of 2003 Old 09-01-2015, 07:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post
Mirrored on opposite side of the room. So you see the front left and mid-wall left. There are corresponding subs in the same positions on the right.
Nice, just read that from your previous post from the REW graph, it seems flat to 6-7Hz, I might doing similar to achieve even bass response throughout the room, currently I'm flat to around 12Hz only with some dips/nulls around 55Hz, 71Hz and 85Hz (with dual HS24 15cf sealed feed with 1200W each without EQ)
post #789 of 2003 Old 09-01-2015, 07:20 PM
Deep Sea Sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molon_Labe View Post
Have you gotten any ready for any upcoming forum meets?
I've got two subs up at Asoofi1s that I'll get back from him after I give him a few weeks or so to test them...just have to exchange one of the amps that must have been damaged on the way to/from the show in Cali.

I have an 18" and 24" I need to get up to Josh Ricci for testing.

And I'll be ordering a new CNC next week. Once I get that setup and in, I'll refine my design a little with the more accurate CNC and then build a new set of subs to send up to @JimWilson for a review.

And needing the new CNC is one of the reason I haven't pushed too hard on marketing but once I get the CNC dialed in, I'll push for demo subs as well as start building subs even if I don't have orders. Maybe I'll actually have some inventory for quick delivery during the holiday seasons...that would be nice.
femi, asoofi1, Gorilla83 and 1 others like this.

David Gage
Deep Sea Sound
post #790 of 2003 Old 09-01-2015, 07:22 PM
Deep Sea Sound

Quote:
So Josh and Jeff get the personal setup. Is this a J think? You can call me Jennifer if that will get you to come over and dial my stuff in
Jennifer - Move a little closer than San Antonio. And I'm up in DC this week so Josh's place was on the way. But I do like San Antonio, especially the BBQ, just not in the middle of July.

David Gage
Deep Sea Sound
post #791 of 2003 Old 09-01-2015, 07:24 PM
Deep Sea Sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by asoofi1 View Post
@dgage Congrats on delivering quadruplets
I'm motivated to find a couple of rca splitters
Thanks man. Wish your schedule allowed me to come over this week but I'll catch you when I'm back up in DC in a couple weeks.

David Gage
Deep Sea Sound
post #792 of 2003 Old 09-01-2015, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I wish I wasn't in New Orleans this week.....I am pumped to get back and watch John Wick again..
post #793 of 2003 Old 09-01-2015, 08:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 163 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked: 1111
Quote:
Originally Posted by yosh7 View Post
Well - I wanted to write something more formal but I want to get some impressions out there....So we calibrated them via Audessey XT 32 first. I only had the dial 2 clicks from mute on all the amps and to use David's words - "I have 4 Porsche 911's driving down a highway at 60 when the speed limit is 70" - and most go well over the speed limit. To say I have TONS of headroom is an understatement. After Audessey, David took the time to do sweeps with some very fancy equipment to ensure everything was dialed in and we discovered that Audessey did a pretty darn good job --

CAN YOU SAY NO ROLL OFF TILL 6 HZ!

And with them dialed back they had tons of impact and slam. My setup is in a basement with concrete floors (with carpet) and you could easily FEEL the bass through the chairs. There is absolutely no need for shakers now! Oh - and despite all of the pictures and videos of the 24's out there - let's just say they don't do them justice. You have to see and experience these guys to get an idea of what a serious piece of equipment his subs are. Just amazing.

A major thank you to David Gage. He is truly a courteous, conscientious guy. He took the time to set up and measure his subs and ensured I was completely satisfied with their performance. I really appreciate everything!

I'd like to post the measurements that Dgage took and emailed to me but I can't get them to open. Maybe I will figure it out or David might be able to post them.
Congrats Yosh7! I would love to hear (and see) one of those beasts one day!

Also congrats to being the first on the ULF thread members with the Marianna 24...5hz ULF card and all.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ULF Score - yosh7.png
Views:	653
Size:	12.3 KB
ID:	919802  
The Bogg, yosh7 and Electrodynamic like this.
post #794 of 2003 Old 09-01-2015, 09:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 2018 Post(s)
Liked: 983
Quote:
When I ran Audyssey, I had to dial it down to just a hair over nothing, so I assume I was two clicks as well to get the 75db or whatever it was looking for. That chit was way too weak. I had the dial at noon before and running hot in the receiver. Talk about tactile feel Audyssey just neuters everything.
Well Audyssey goes for flat. Science has proven humans don't like flat below 100hz. For example 90db sine wave noise at 120hz sounds way louder than a 90db sine wave at 40hz. I personally felt 40hz needed almost 10db to be perceived as the same loudness at 100hz. I used a mini dsp unit with Audyssey XT 32 in the past. I would set a low shelf filter for a rising response from 80hz to 30hz. Then I would bypass it until AFTER Audyssey was done. But before Audyssey I would apply a few cuts to some peaks to present Audyssey with an easier job. It ended up with a much smoother response. IMO just plain Audyssey with nothing else really sucks. You ca bump the sub trim but that raise all frequencies that are crossed to the sub.
Molon_Labe likes this.
post #795 of 2003 Old 09-02-2015, 08:29 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 392 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5503 Post(s)
Liked: 5317
Yosh nice looking room. Four mariana's outa blow the door off the hinges if you aren't careful in that size space. Are any of those panels diffusion or just all absorption?

European Models do not accept banana plugs
Belly of the Beast: Bass Bunker Theater
post #796 of 2003 Old 09-02-2015, 10:02 AM
Deep Sea Sound

Quote:
Yosh nice looking room. Four mariana's outa blow the door off the hinges if you aren't careful in that size space. Are any of those panels diffusion or just all absorption?
Josh mentioned that he alternated between absorption and diffusion based on some research he did. He has the former top of the line Definitive's, which have the bipolar speaker configuration and the speakers sounded really nice and immersive. Then again, he also had wides just in front of the mains on each side and some dipole side surrounds. As I mentioned to Josh, I felt no reason for him to "upgrade" his speakers when he asked me.

David Gage
Deep Sea Sound
post #797 of 2003 Old 09-02-2015, 07:07 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Quote:
Thanks to everyone for the great comments! Unfortunately I have been immersed in my job since the installation so I have not had much time to listen

This 3 day weekend is going to be just what the doctor ordered. To answer the treatment question, I follow the Anthony Grimani school of thought on room treatments. He was featured on episode 177 of home theater geeks featured on the forums. He basically recommends about 20% absorption and 25% diffusion. I use 4" of 6pcf ecose for the side panels and 6-8" for the bass traps and rear panels. I alternated 2 dimensional hemispherical fiberglass diffusers I ordered off the internet. Everything kind of looks black on the pics but the absorbers and diffusers alternate. With the concrete dungeon I am in that level of treatment was required to make things sound the way I like it.

I can't wait to dig into some serious movie, music and gaming content to really hear what these babies can do.

Many more impressions to follow.

So far, I simply grin ear to ear every time i hear the new additions. Simply incomprehensible to have such a capable system. And I know I am just scratching the surface as to what these can do.
post #798 of 2003 Old 09-02-2015, 07:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 2540 Post(s)
Liked: 2183
^^ try Mad Max Fury Road. I don't think I can handle 4 Mariana's watching this whole movie.
post #799 of 2003 Old 09-02-2015, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I am PUMPED for this movie and have it waiting for me when I get home from New Orleans on Friday.

Almost scared to watch this until I get things tamed down some in my room...
post #800 of 2003 Old 09-02-2015, 07:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 3178 Post(s)
Liked: 3822
@tvuong and @COACH2369 - You two need to stop being girls. Crank it up and let the plaster and sheet rock lay where it falls
tvuong, dgage, jlpowell84 and 1 others like this.

Don't waste your money on a new set of speakers.....you get more mileage from a cheap pair of sneakers - Billy Joel
post #801 of 2003 Old 09-02-2015, 07:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 2540 Post(s)
Liked: 2183
^^ didn't realize you have SEVEN 4722's. Dude I need to visit you (if allowed) some day when work sends me there. South TX= San Antonio, Austin or...?
post #802 of 2003 Old 09-02-2015, 07:53 PM
Deep Sea Sound

With all of this talk of not being able to physically handle multiple Mariana 24s and plaster falling, I'd like to have a quick intermission to point out that while these are incredibly capable and powerful subwoofers, they are also very articulate and detailed subwoofers. Output capability is great but not at the expense of great sound, it simply doesn't fit with my standards. In this case you can get the best of both worlds, world-class output with world-class sound quality for both home theater and music. There's not a sub on the market I wouldn't be willing to put my subs up against in terms of sound quality. My subs may or may not win but they'd be right there and when you bring in the output capabilities and value, that is where my subs would take home the prize. At least in my opinion, which unfortunately is very biased.
tvuong, yosh7, jlpowell84 and 4 others like this.

David Gage
Deep Sea Sound
post #803 of 2003 Old 09-02-2015, 07:55 PM
Deep Sea Sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by COACH2369 View Post
I am PUMPED for this movie and have it waiting for me when I get home from New Orleans on Friday.

Almost scared to watch this until I get things tamed down some in my room...
I can come over Friday or Saturday and turn down the hotness of your system some. I don't know what you said to Chad but he really made sure you wouldn't be wanting for bass. I'm not quite the basshead of some on this forum but even I was thinking this was way too much bass.
FattyMcButterPants likes this.

David Gage
Deep Sea Sound
post #804 of 2003 Old 09-02-2015, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
With all of this talk of not being able to physically handle multiple Mariana 24s and plaster falling, I'd like to have a quick intermission to point out that while these are incredibly capable and powerful subwoofers, they are also very articulate and detailed subwoofers. Output capability is great but not at the expense of great sound, it simply doesn't fit with my standards. In this case you can get the best of both worlds, world-class output with world-class sound quality for both home theater and music. There's not a sub on the market I wouldn't be willing to put my subs up against in terms of sound quality. My subs may or may not win but they'd be right there and when you bring in the output capabilities and value, that is where my subs would take home the prize. At least in my opinion, which unfortunately is very biased.

I think these subs perform amazingly at "normal, non-AVS levels"

I know I haven't heard a sub that comes close in that regards.. Clean and Tight...
post #805 of 2003 Old 09-02-2015, 07:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You are 100% correct. They knock the **** off and out of the wall with the most polite and considerate manners
dgage and Electrodynamic like this.

Don't waste your money on a new set of speakers.....you get more mileage from a cheap pair of sneakers - Billy Joel
post #806 of 2003 Old 09-02-2015, 07:57 PM
Deep Sea Sound

Quote:
San Antonio - Bring conversation and I will bring the beer

My signature is a bit premature. My rear 4722s are on order with JBL and won't arrive until mid Sept. I figured since they charged my card I could post them in my signature
I'd love to get down there and visit you too Jennifer. You are going to have an absolute fantastic, phenomenal, amazing, etc, etc system.
Molon_Labe likes this.

David Gage
Deep Sea Sound
post #807 of 2003 Old 09-02-2015, 08:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'd love to get down there and visit you too Jennifer. You are going to have an absolute fantastic, phenomenal, amazing, etc, etc system.
Stop teasing me big boy

Common on down man. Bring the family, I got plenty of room for all.

If anyone wants to come down or is in town, feel free to PM me and come by. I need some fellow nerdy friends that like HT like me. All my other redneck buddies think Bose is the end all be all. Poor fellas and their diesel trucks. Nothing against diesels, I love my 4x4 Cummins, just sayin my boys down here are a bit dense when it comes to HT
dgage likes this.

Last edited by Molon_Labe; 09-03-2015 at 06:14 AM.
post #808 of 2003 Old 09-03-2015, 07:07 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 392 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5503 Post(s)
Liked: 5317
Quote:
Originally Posted by yosh7 View Post
Thanks to everyone for the great comments! Unfortunately I have been immersed in my job since the installation so I have not had much time to listen

This 3 day weekend is going to be just what the doctor ordered. To answer the treatment question, I follow the Anthony Grimani school of thought on room treatments. He was featured on episode 177 of home theater geeks featured on the forums. He basically recommends about 20% absorption and 25% diffusion. I use 4" of 6pcf ecose for the side panels and 6-8" for the bass traps and rear panels. I alternated 2 dimensional hemispherical fiberglass diffusers I ordered off the internet. Everything kind of looks black on the pics but the absorbers and diffusers alternate. With the concrete dungeon I am in that level of treatment was required to make things sound the way I like it.

I can't wait to dig into some serious movie, music and gaming content to really hear what these babies can do.

Many more impressions to follow.

So far, I simply grin ear to ear every time i hear the new additions. Simply incomprehensible to have such a capable system. And I know I am just scratching the surface as to what these can do.
I'd love more pics of your treatment setup if you care to indulge me Also, now that I know how (relatively speaking) close by you are, I'll need to swing through next time I am down that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvuong View Post
^^ try Mad Max Fury Road. I don't think I can handle 4 Mariana's watching this whole movie.
MM will give em a workout. It will also show structural issues you may have in your room, and shake the dust loose from anything you have in the room. And it will do that for basically 2 hours straight.

European Models do not accept banana plugs
Belly of the Beast: Bass Bunker Theater
post #809 of 2003 Old 09-03-2015, 07:53 AM
Writer & Reviewer

Quoted: 2155 Post(s)
Liked: 3234
Quote:
Perhaps some day I might be able to quantify that statement. Oh wait, did I say that out loud?

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite...
post #810 of 2003 Old 09-03-2015, 07:58 AM
Deep Sea Sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post
Perhaps some day I might be able to quantify that statement. Oh wait, did I say that out loud?
Did you miss this post (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-su...l#post36958562) where I mentioned you? I'm finalizing the CNC order now and it should be official next week. Then in about a month I should have it so hopefully you'll get them by the beginning of Nov to review.

David Gage
Deep Sea Sound
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page