Official Deep Sea Sound Thread - Page 41 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2239Likes

post #1201 of 2003 Old 03-05-2016, 09:09 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Looks like that monitor will blow over!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1202 of 2003 Old 03-05-2016, 08:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthnut View Post
Spoiler!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dgage, yosh7, Patriot666 and 2 others like this.
post #1203 of 2003 Old 03-08-2016, 04:21 PM

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:

sent from my iphone using tapatalk
niiiiiiiiiiiiiiice..

If you KRANK it.. They will Listen..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1204 of 2003 Old 03-08-2016, 04:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 922 Post(s)
Liked: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by yosh7 View Post
Looks like that monitor will blow over!!!!
I was actually concerned about that, since the projection screen was vibrating. I do plan to better anchor the front speakers to avoid even the possibility.
post #1205 of 2003 Old 03-08-2016, 04:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phonzo07 View Post
Quote:

sent from my iphone using tapatalk
niiiiiiiiiiiiiiice..
Thanks! One of the things I'm growing to love about it is how effortlessly it can slam! There really are no limits with this thing! Never seems to break a sweat, I've never owned a sub like this.
Electrodynamic likes this.
post #1206 of 2003 Old 03-09-2016, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1168 Post(s)
Liked: 986
Had my system re-calibrated by ChadB yesterday. Recently I added an Anthem AVM60, JVC X750R(RS500) and 8 of the JBL SCS8 speakers for new surrounds and ATMOS.

The first movie I revisited was "John Wick". WOW, my favorite scenes really impressed me with the new additions. My dual Mariana's really shined during The sledge hammer scene and the first attack at John's house. Chad did a nice job of dialing in the mid bass to play nice with the subs. Those scenes made both of our hair move.
post #1207 of 2003 Old 03-09-2016, 08:55 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 114 Post(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked: 806
Reading these latest responses has taken me back to people asking why there are not more 24" subwoofer reviews? My simple reply is: the customers are in bass nirvana. They do not feel compelled to post about the performance because they have experienced/heard complete subwoofer bliss. Is it "bad" to not have official reviews? Maybe. Is a better to have customers so pleased with the performance that they no longer need to post? Yes.
post #1208 of 2003 Old 03-09-2016, 09:55 PM
Deep Sea Sound

Mentioned: 219 Post(s)
Quoted: 1781 Post(s)
Liked: 1703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrodynamic View Post
Reading these latest responses has taken me back to people asking why there are not more 24" subwoofer reviews? My simple reply is: the customers are in bass nirvana. They do not feel compelled to post about the performance because they have experienced/heard complete subwoofer bliss. Is it "bad" to not have official reviews? Maybe. Is a better to have customers so pleased with the performance that they no longer need to post? Yes.
Official reviews are important as we want more people to be exposed to this fantastic driver you designed and built. They will be coming soon enough but not within the next month. Working on a few things in the mean time but I'm not ready to speak to those at this time...soon though.

David Gage
Deep Sea Sound
"You don't listen to our subs, you EXPERIENCE them!"
post #1209 of 2003 Old 03-10-2016, 12:46 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 52
David,

Do you ship to Canada?

Chris
post #1210 of 2003 Old 03-10-2016, 06:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked: 3850
Quote:
Originally Posted by COACH2369 View Post
Had my system re-calibrated by ChadB yesterday. Recently I added an Anthem AVM60, JVC X750R(RS500) and 8 of the JBL SCS8 speakers for new surrounds and ATMOS.

The first movie I revisited was "John Wick". WOW, my favorite scenes really impressed me with the new additions. My dual Mariana's really shined during The sledge hammer scene and the first attack at John's house. Chad did a nice job of dialing in the mid bass to play nice with the subs. Those scenes made both of our hair move.
Glad your liking your setup buddy. I bet it is sounding superb.

AVP - Trinnov Alt16
Speakers - JBL M2 (3), JBL 708p (4), JBL 705i (4)
Subs - (2) Deep Sea Sound 24" & (2) Dual Stereo Integrity 18"
Video - Sony 55es
Screen - Seymour 127" A/T 16:9
post #1211 of 2003 Old 03-10-2016, 09:52 PM
Deep Sea Sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumps View Post
David,

Do you ship to Canada?

Chris
Hi Chris,

We would definitely be willing to ship to Canada but it is a little expensive. Check your private messages as I sent you a more detailed message with a quick quote for shipping to Ottawa as well as just across the Us border in NY. Thanks for your interest.

David
Billy p likes this.

David Gage
Deep Sea Sound
post #1212 of 2003 Old 03-27-2016, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Force Awakens Mini Review- SPOILER ALERT!!

Happy Easter to everyone. Hope y'all had a wonderful day celebrating with your families.

I was fortunate enough to snag a copy of The Force Awakens on blu-ray yesterday and just finished up watching it.

I also posted this over in the JBL thread....but the star of the show tonight were my dual Mariana 24's. This movie, in my room, really showed how AWESOME these subs are. I had my hair blown back, felt like my stomach was being churned(in a good way) and jumped out of my seat a couple of times. It was audio bliss for me! Having to dial down the subs was never something I did with previous systems....Very, VERY impressive.

While this was in the theaters, I saw it three times at three different theaters. Each time was with a different sound system and auditorium size. Overall, I was underwhelmed with the audio presentation in the theaters. The surrounds were weak and the LFE wasn't very effective...more than usual for a viewing in the theater.

IMO, the blu-ray release more than makes up for it. I was bummed that they didn't include an Atmos track on this release, but the DTS 7.1 soundtrack was outstanding.

I am not a big Sci-Fi fan, but I have always felt the impact of laser guns vs regular guns in home audio are different. That would be the only knock I would give this soundtrack. I felt every gun shot in my chest from John Wick, but as much in this movie. Now some scenes I did, but not nearly enough as I would have liked.

The real winner is the LFE. I had to adjust the volume twice and then halfway through the movie, drop the sub levels down by 4 db on my DSS Mariana 24's. Once I did that, I was able to adjust the volume back up and WOW the presentation was kicked up a notch. This is the first time I have had to do this since my system changes a month ago(especially on the subs) Every time Ryo was "using the force", the impact was intense. I could feel the hair on my legs and head move. It was night and day from the presentation in the theaters. Several scenes were borderline "scary". Towards the end when they are in the basement after discovering the light saber, the attack on the building begins. The first explosion made me jump out of my seat. The bass was that good and VERY tight. Kudos to the subs on that part.

No Atmos track meant the upmixer in my Anthem AVM60 was engaged. It didn't disappoint one bit. Clean, dynamic sound throughout the whole movie. The ships panned from speaker to speaker, both vertical and horizontal which gave my 8 JBL SCS-8's a great workout..

4722's +SCS-8's + DSS Mariana 24's = the best audio presentation, to date, I have had in my newly updated room!
muzz, Gooddoc, mumps and 4 others like this.
post #1213 of 2003 Old 03-28-2016, 09:06 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Spoiler!

Thanks for sharing, I'm even more excited to watch it at the house now

Sony 75" Z9D - Tivo Bolt+ - Roku Ultra - OPPO UDP-203 - Apple TV 4K
Datasat LS10 (w/ DIRAC - Atmos - DTS-X) - Two Emotiva XPA-7's (2nd Gen)
Seven Triad InWall Silver LCR's & Four KEF Ci200RR-THX Atmos speakers - Two Deep Sea Sound Mariana 24" subs - Vicoustic room treatment

Last edited by grtuck; 03-28-2016 at 09:32 AM. Reason: Changed quote to a spoiler to save space
post #1214 of 2003 Old 03-28-2016, 01:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked: 1075
As all know here, bass waves are long and can travel far and wide, through rooms and walls and sometimes into the neighbors homes as well. Is there any correlation to the size and impact of a larger 24" driver impacting further afield than a smaller driver? Like instead of just hitting the neighbor, now one is hitting the neighbors neighbor too.
post #1215 of 2003 Old 03-28-2016, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Good question for the master..

@dgage
post #1216 of 2003 Old 03-28-2016, 01:36 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 393 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5506 Post(s)
Liked: 5324
Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaji View Post
As all know here, bass waves are long and can travel far and wide, through rooms and walls and sometimes into the neighbors homes as well. Is there any correlation to the size and impact of a larger 24" driver impacting further afield than a smaller driver? Like instead of just hitting the neighbor, now one is hitting the neighbors neighbor too.
No, it just has to do with overall displacement. If you only have a single 15" driver, you have 1/10th (or thereabouts) of the displacement of a 24" driver. A 20hz bass tone still is over 50ft in wavelength, but if you are getting clean, uncompressed spl at 120dB via a 12 pack of 15" drivers, or you are getting 120dB from a mariana, the results will be the same.
shivaji likes this.

European Models do not accept banana plugs
Belly of the Beast: Bass Bunker Theater
post #1217 of 2003 Old 03-28-2016, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
No, it just has to do with overall displacement. If you only have a single 15" driver, you have 1/10th (or thereabouts) of the displacement of a 24" driver. A 20hz bass tone still is over 50ft in wavelength, but if you are getting clean, uncompressed spl at 120dB via a 12 pack of 15" drivers, or you are getting 120dB from a mariana, the results will be the same.
Or the other master.

Beast knows his LFE...
shivaji and beastaudio like this.
post #1218 of 2003 Old 03-28-2016, 01:46 PM
Deep Sea Sound

Quote:
Or the other master.

Beast knows his LFE...
I concur.

David Gage
Deep Sea Sound
post #1219 of 2003 Old 03-28-2016, 02:20 PM
Deep Sea Sound

I've been meaning to do an update as things have been crazy and busy and crazily busy.

1. I'm still working on finding another cabinet builder but so far the cabinet builders in my area seem too busy to take on additional work. So I'm still working on that aspect as I'd like to shift to having inventory available than build to order.
2. I'm working on a 12" midrange driver for the speakers I want to design. The initial design was powerful and clean in the midbass region but had some issues and weren't clean enough higher in the frequency range. We went back and tweaked the design some and the latest plots looks like it will meet my needs perfectly. Now to just get a few pre-production units to review before final approval of a full production run occurs.
3. I've developed a plan for a complete speaker line including surrounds and (Atmos) ceiling speakers. Just have to get the components here so I can start designing in earnest. The initial version will be active as it will allow me to ensure the complete system works as I expect and design. I will likely work on a passive version after that.
4. Speaking of active speakers, I had a chance to visit the man himself at SpeakerPower (guess who's license plate that is below) and learned about many of the updated products he has been working on lately. He brought out a home theater line of amps compared to the pro audio amps we previously used so I'm definitely excited with some of those changes as well as the modular amps he has that will work great with active speakers.
5. I also have a new product I'm working on that will come out before the speakers but I'll keep that quiet for now.

I'm growing slowly but have some big plans for the rest of this year. Will be a lot of work but it will be exciting and fun.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	spkrpwr.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	1344690  
yosh7, femi, ambesolman and 3 others like this.

David Gage
Deep Sea Sound

Last edited by dgage; 03-28-2016 at 02:28 PM.
post #1220 of 2003 Old 03-28-2016, 02:26 PM
Deep Sea Sound

Quote:
Happy Easter to everyone. Hope y'all had a wonderful day celebrating with your families.

I was fortunate enough to snag a copy of The Force Awakens on blu-ray yesterday and just finished up watching it.

I also posted this over in the JBL thread....but the star of the show tonight were my dual Mariana 24's. This movie, in my room, really showed how AWESOME these subs are. I had my hair blown back, felt like my stomach was being churned(in a good way) and jumped out of my seat a couple of times. It was audio bliss for me! Having to dial down the subs was never something I did with previous systems....Very, VERY impressive.

While this was in the theaters, I saw it three times at three different theaters. Each time was with a different sound system and auditorium size. Overall, I was underwhelmed with the audio presentation in the theaters. The surrounds were weak and the LFE wasn't very effective...more than usual for a viewing in the theater.

IMO, the blu-ray release more than makes up for it. I was bummed that they didn't include an Atmos track on this release, but the DTS 7.1 soundtrack was outstanding.

I am not a big Sci-Fi fan, but I have always felt the impact of laser guns vs regular guns in home audio are different. That would be the only knock I would give this soundtrack. I felt every gun shot in my chest from John Wick, but as much in this movie. Now some scenes I did, but not nearly enough as I would have liked.

The real winner is the LFE. I had to adjust the volume twice and then halfway through the movie, drop the sub levels down by 4 db on my DSS Mariana 24's. Once I did that, I was able to adjust the volume back up and WOW the presentation was kicked up a notch. This is the first time I have had to do this since my system changes a month ago(especially on the subs) Every time Ryo was "using the force", the impact was intense. I could feel the hair on my legs and head move. It was night and day from the presentation in the theaters. Several scenes were borderline "scary". Towards the end when they are in the basement after discovering the light saber, the attack on the building begins. The first explosion made me jump out of my seat. The bass was that good and VERY tight. Kudos to the subs on that part.

No Atmos track meant the upmixer in my Anthem AVM60 was engaged. It didn't disappoint one bit. Clean, dynamic sound throughout the whole movie. The ships panned from speaker to speaker, both vertical and horizontal which gave my 8 JBL SCS-8's a great workout..

4722's +SCS-8's + DSS Mariana 24's = the best audio presentation, to date, I have had in my newly updated room!
Glad to hear you are enjoying your system Coach. You have made some really nice upgrades to put together one heck of a SYSTEM. I often look at a system and naturally think about the limiting factors, the bottleneck, or what should be upgraded first. I can't think of a single thing that I'd even consider changing, except maybe its location...we might be able to turn it up a bit more if it was at my house.

David Gage
Deep Sea Sound
post #1221 of 2003 Old 03-28-2016, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post
Glad to hear you are enjoying your system Coach. You have made some really nice upgrades to put together one heck of a SYSTEM. I often look at a system and naturally think about the limiting factors, the bottleneck, or what should be upgraded first. I can't think of a single thing that I'd even consider changing, except maybe its location...we might be able to turn it up a bit more if it was at my house.
Appreciate the kind words. I am a good spot right now with my system. So good, that I am almost ready for a room thread with pictures of everything. Still need to touch up a few things and add a couple more treatments. Then I will be ready to do that.
mumps likes this.
post #1222 of 2003 Old 03-30-2016, 06:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

David, I'd be interested especially in the Atmos ceiling speakers you referenced. Do you have an estimate when they will be ready?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #1223 of 2003 Old 04-01-2016, 10:55 AM
Deep Sea Sound

I'm close to approving a final version of the 12" midrange/midbass driver I'm having built and also working on another driver, which is initial stages of design but I expect production on both of those to start within 4 to 6 weeks. Assume a few weeks for production and then 4 weeks for shipping and we're looking at the middle of the summer when I get the speakers. Actually I'll get a few drivers shipped faster but still won't be able to start working with production drivers for at least two months. I'm going to start designing speakers with my most popular version first, which will share components with the ceiling and surround speakers. I'm shooting to have those done by late summer. Then I'll work on the flagship model, which will have four 12" midrange/midbass drivers with a high-frequency driver, and 1 or 2 24" subs built in. Hoping to have those done by the end of the year.
ambesolman and grtuck like this.

David Gage
Deep Sea Sound
post #1224 of 2003 Old 04-03-2016, 04:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm close to approving a final version of the 12" midrange/midbass driver I'm having built and also working on another driver, which is initial stages of design but I expect production on both of those to start within 4 to 6 weeks. Assume a few weeks for production and then 4 weeks for shipping and we're looking at the middle of the summer when I get the speakers. Actually I'll get a few drivers shipped faster but still won't be able to start working with production drivers for at least two months. I'm going to start designing speakers with my most popular version first, which will share components with the ceiling and surround speakers. I'm shooting to have those done by late summer. Then I'll work on the flagship model, which will have four 12" midrange/midbass drivers with a high-frequency driver, and 1 or 2 24" subs built in. Hoping to have those done by the end of the year.

Thanks, David. Those speakers should be very interesting!
hlnoiku likes this.
post #1225 of 2003 Old 04-19-2016, 10:16 PM
Deep Sea Sound

It looks like it has been a few weeks since I've given an update but things have been busy in a positive way. Here are some pictures of a pair of custom Mariana 18S subwoofers I delivered a couple weeks ago. And another forum member should be posting some pictures of the absolutely gorgeous black oak end table Mariana 24SC we built, which he should receive this afternoon. Definitely looking forward to his feedback on the build quality and sound quality, which are both top notch in my opinion and hopefully his too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000086.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	177.1 KB
ID:	1392978   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000088.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	180.2 KB
ID:	1392986   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000093.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	208.1 KB
ID:	1392994  

David Gage
Deep Sea Sound
post #1226 of 2003 Old 04-20-2016, 02:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It looks like it has been a few weeks since I've given an update but things have been busy in a positive way. Here are some pictures of a pair of custom Mariana 18S subwoofers I delivered a couple weeks ago. And another forum member should be posting some pictures of the absolutely gorgeous black oak end table Mariana 24SC we built, which he should receive this afternoon. Definitely looking forward to his feedback on the build quality and sound quality, which are both top notch in my opinion and hopefully his too.
Very nice...
dgage likes this.
post #1227 of 2003 Old 04-20-2016, 04:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1286 Post(s)
Liked: 823
Quote:

Gorgeous!

Seeing the symetric custom 18's reminds me to move forward on the slave unit we had talked about; its been a busy few weeks but I finally got a UMIK. Hopefully I'll be able to figure out REW and get some measurements of my single 18 and see wether I really need another or not!
dgage likes this.

Selling in AVS Classifieds
FS: Trinnov Altitude 16
post #1228 of 2003 Old 04-20-2016, 04:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked: 3850
Quote:
Originally Posted by madhuski View Post
Gorgeous!

Seeing the symetric custom 18's reminds me to move forward on the slave unit we had talked about; its been a busy few weeks but I finally got a UMIK. Hopefully I'll be able to figure out REW and get some measurements of my single 18 and see wether I really need another or not!
No REW needed, you need it
post #1229 of 2003 Old 04-20-2016, 07:51 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 393 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5506 Post(s)
Liked: 5324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molon_Labe View Post
No REW needed, you need it
Beastaudio approves this message.
ambesolman, madhuski and grtuck like this.

European Models do not accept banana plugs
Belly of the Beast: Bass Bunker Theater
post #1230 of 2003 Old 04-20-2016, 09:55 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 113
End table, sweet, can't wait to see the pics!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page