Official Deep Sea Sound Thread - Page 52 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2240Likes

post #1531 of 2003 Old 11-17-2016, 12:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3347 Post(s)
Liked: 4028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowmanick View Post
Thanks for the replies guys. I really appreciate the comments and suggestions. The room is fun. Looking at the pics, my punch list has grown. 😑

@Molon_Labe , no easy way to move those. We wired all the subs in wall. The floor is concrete pad and three of the walls are insulated. The pillar is also solid. I suppose I could run cables overhead to the far wall, down the wall and under the couch...but that comes with other issues.

The black table is a cheap little IKEA deal to hold drinks and toys. This way I don't care what the kids do to it. If I move the subs then I will be worried about my kids banging the subs up.

Final bit, I am really loving how well the subs and SCL's blend. Currently the bass just blends to whatever channel it needs to. If something happens in the back left corner, it sounds like all the bass is coming from just that channel. During two channel music it sounds like I am listening to full range towers as opposed to inwalls crossed over at 100Hz. And when diffuse bass happens in films, like when Kylo Ren uses the Force in TFA, it just surrounds you.

I'm sure the added tactile response from the nearfield placement would be cool, but I am getting a pretty solid kick as it is.

Thanks though. I'm happy to hear ideas to improve things.
Yeah if everything is all wired in place then moving them would be a waste. I was just trowing the idea out there to help get some additional tactile feel at the MLP on that concrete. Room looks great buddy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1532 of 2003 Old 11-17-2016, 12:15 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 396 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5538 Post(s)
Liked: 5367
Quote:
I suck at taking pics and these are just from my phone, but here are some pics.

Is that an acoustic treatment wrap of a sonogram on the left? Never seen that done before! Haha. Dude I like the scl4's. I could see some of those being tested out in my space at some point for sure.

European Models do not accept banana plugs
Belly of the Beast: Bass Bunker Theater
post #1533 of 2003 Old 11-17-2016, 12:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
Is that an acoustic treatment wrap of a sonogram on the left? Never seen that done before! Haha. Dude I like the scl4's. I could see some of those being tested out in my space at some point for sure.
The ones on the right are my kids. The one on the left is of an old stairwell in Blarney Castle that my wife took. The light spots are where the sun was shining through the old windows/turrets.

The SCL's are pretty awesome. Movies are a blast and music is very very good.

Last edited by Snowmanick; 11-17-2016 at 01:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1534 of 2003 Old 11-17-2016, 01:27 PM

Quote:
The ones on the right are my kids. The one on the left is of an old stairwell in Blarney Castle that my wife took. The light spots are where the sun n was shiny by through old windows.

The SCL's are pretty awesome. Movies are a blast and music is very very good.
Thank goodness it's not a sonogram. Glad you are happy with the SCL's. Are they backc-boxed or just IB with the sheetrock?

post #1535 of 2003 Old 11-17-2016, 01:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thank goodness it's not a sonogram. Glad you are happy with the SCL's. Are they backc-boxed or just IB with the sheetrock?
They come with a backbox. Only way to install them now (JBL revised their recommendations after the original manual was written and now don't recommend using them without their backboxes. Big holes to cut but well worth it. They fit perfectly in between studs in a 16" on center set up and the -4's are 4" deep, so that part is nice. (The smaller SCL-3's are deeper at 6").

Now I'm thinking a need a GIK Momster bass trap with the sonograms from each of my kids. Hmmm.
beastaudio likes this.
post #1536 of 2003 Old 11-17-2016, 04:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Quoted: 3711 Post(s)
Liked: 3317
Quote:
Thank goodness it's not a sonogram.
LOL

@Snowmanick Sweet room man!
post #1537 of 2003 Old 11-26-2016, 12:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Just a couple quick shout outs to David and DSS subs. I received my grills for my 18S's and they look great! Thanks David.

Also, my wife and I watched Bad Moms tonight (actually a really funny movie) and the soundtrack features several hip hop songs. The Marianna's just killed it with these and my wife mentioned 2-3 times that she "loves these subs!" It's fantastic to get the spousal validation and that she's getting a kick out of them even with comedies.

Fantastic purchase!!
dgage, COACH2369, grtuck and 2 others like this.
post #1538 of 2003 Old 11-26-2016, 01:26 PM
Deep Sea Sound

Mentioned: 219 Post(s)
Quoted: 1786 Post(s)
Liked: 1706
Glad to hear you are enjoying the subs, but especially great to hear your wife likes them. When I first setup my personal system with multiple 18s, I asked my wife if it was too much bass and if I should put rubber isolators under the couches. She looked over at me with a mean glare and said don't you dare. So definitely like to hear when the wife likes them too, which is one of the reasons I offer the side and end table options.
grtuck, Aareses and hlnoiku like this.

David Gage
Deep Sea Sound
"You don't listen to our subs, you EXPERIENCE them!"
post #1539 of 2003 Old 12-23-2016, 09:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thumbs up Another Satisfied Customer

Hey Guys,

I received a pair of Mariana 24SC about a month ago and have been putting them through the paces. I feel that I now know them well enough to write a brief review.

Background:
My setup is a bit unusual, in that I'm primarily using these subs for listening to music (digital and analog sources). Secondarily, I use these for A/V. I have a TV in the room, purely out of convenience

First Impressions:
Allow me to start with my interactions with David. For me, vendor relationship is equally important as product quality. Throughout the purchasing process, he's been very professional and highly-communicative. Most importantly, he's met or exceeded all set expectations.

David personally delivered my subs. He helped me bring them into my house and set them up. They arrived in perfect condition; something you always worry about, when shipping something large and heavy.

I was immediately impressed by the fit and finish. They are professionally made. I knew they were going to be big. But words or pictures on a computer screen just don't do these speakers justice. They are huge. I mean, "Back to the Future" huge.

Performance:
I already have a set of active analog crossovers (Klark Teknik DN800). I'm pushing anything under 80Hz to these subs. Although I'm not using the built-in crossover, the speakers' DSP does a nice job keeping the frequency response flat, even at under 20Hz.

In terms of the actual listening experience, these speakers are very tight and accurate. It's amazing how something of such size and power can sound so clean. Music effortlessly hits those low octaves, without coloration or strain.

And then there's the shear power. I had some friends over for a demo with a collection of movies. They've never heard anything like this. These subs rival even what you'll find at a commercial movie theatre. They brought so much life to the movie scenes.

I've spent many years building my audio setup. I can now finally say it's finished. I am extremely pleased with how these subs perform. I highly recommend Deep Sea Sound to anyone looking to pull the trigger.

Best regards,

Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20161201_171546.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	157.0 KB
ID:	1850769  
post #1540 of 2003 Old 12-24-2016, 07:25 AM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Wow, 2 Mariana 24s near-field . How are your organs not liquefied? And are those concert speakers? Looks like your system could adequately fill the Sydney Opera House with sound.
post #1541 of 2003 Old 12-24-2016, 07:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked: 943
Congrats! Yes David is a class act and I can't think of any other subs I'd rather own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #1542 of 2003 Old 12-24-2016, 11:37 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood Simple View Post
Wow, 2 Mariana 24s near-field . How are your organs not liquefied? And are those concert speakers? Looks like your system could adequately fill the Sydney Opera House with sound.
Lol - yes, my Altec A5's and A7's were pulls from an old movie theatre. My friends think they look like raid sirens. They definitely fill the house with sound. And the subs are in "brown note" proximity to the listener. On the high-end of the frequency response (greater than 8kHz), I have a pair of Acapella Ion tweeters.

-Brian
post #1543 of 2003 Old 12-31-2016, 09:38 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Liked: 457
I have repeatedly said David Gage is incredible to work with! Others have said it many times as well. Well...

A little over a week ago, my rear subs stopped working. That caused a panic for me because of the way we embedded the rear subs into the floor of the rear riser. A wiring issue would have been catastrophic! I did some troubleshooting and thought it was the SpeakerPower 12000 HT amp. David had me do an OHM test on all four subs and they checked out. It wasn't wiring...phew! It was unfortunately channel 2 of the amp.

We had family from out of state who were really looking forward to listening to our theater and I only had two working subs...uggh! My family was going to show up on Friday, only two days from when the channel decided to quit. Any other time, this isn't an emergency, but now it was. SpeakerPower was going on an almost two week (including weekends) holiday break the next day and couldn't get me in business in time.

Mr. Awesome "a.k.a. David Gage" came to the rescue. He sent me two amps next day air! So I didn't have to undress my very nicely dressed rack, he sent me extra XLR cables and pulled a speaker plate out of his own house and sent to me. He even sent me a fan to keep them cool since they could not fit in the rack.

Because of David, my family who is rarely here, was able to experience the full sensation of our theater and they were impressed!

Thanks again, David! You literally saved the day for us. You are truly amazing!
Frohlich, dgage, audiofan1 and 7 others like this.

Evolution of My Theater Build

Speakers: Procella P8 (LCR), P6V (2 Front Side), P5 (2 Rear Side, 2 Rear, 4 Ceiling). Subs: Deep Sea Sound Custom 18" Mariana (4). Amps: Crown DCi 8|300 (2), SpeakerPower SP2-12000-HT. Processors: Yamaha CX-A5100, Xilica XP-8080 (2). Video: JVC RS400, 2.37 Seymour AV 120" Enlightor 4K Screen, Kaleidescape Strato, Philips BDP7501. Control: iRule.
post #1544 of 2003 Old 12-31-2016, 09:47 AM
Advanced Member

On another note, a few weeks ago a FedEx Freight Delivery guy asked about our acoustic treatments he was delivering. He is big time into car and home audio. After a pretty good discussion, he wanted to hear my theater. I normally wouldn't take a stranger into my house, but I could tell this guy was legit, so I showed him a demo.

His jaw literally dropped. He said he had no idea a theater could do "that". He said the performance of the subs was better than most high end car systems. Of course, I talked up David Gage and Deep Sea Sound. We exchanged contact information and he later asked for links to DSS.

DSS performs!

Speakers: Procella P8 (LCR), P6V (2 Front Side), P5 (2 Rear Side, 2 Rear, 4 Ceiling). Subs: Deep Sea Sound Custom 18" Mariana (4). Amps: Crown DCi 8|300 (2), SpeakerPower SP2-12000-HT. Processors: Yamaha CX-A5100, Xilica XP-8080 (2). Video: JVC RS400, 2.37 Seymour AV 120" Enlightor 4K Screen, Kaleidescape Strato, Philips BDP7501. Control: iRule.
post #1545 of 2003 Old 01-24-2017, 12:57 PM
Advanced Member

As I posted a few weeks ago, unfortunately channel 2 of my SpeakerPower rack amp died. Even worse, it was right before Christmas break when we had family coming in from out of state, eager to hear our new theater. Mr. Awesome "David Gage" sent me 2 of 4,000 watt 120v plate amps in the interim. He saved our holidays big time!

I sent the SpeakerPower amp in for repair and received it back today. My amp is a 12,000 watt 240v, which I connected as soon as it came in the door. I listened at low levels to make sure all subs were working and let it play for a while. I eventually turned it up to nominal listening levels (for me). When I heard the system I was like OH MY GOD! I couldn't believe how big of a difference there was between 8,000 watt 120v and 12,000 watt 240v. It was literally night and day! I asked my wife to come in and check it out on her lunch. I didn't say anything except, tell me whats different. She said, "it's hitting me in the back of the head really hard". LOL! I put on another track and she said, we got our new sub amp back didn't we. Yep!

There have been many discussions in the forums (mainly this one) about 120v vs 240v and 2,000 watts per sub vs 3,000 watts per sub. I now have a first hand, very unique perspective of both with the same four subs. Let's just say, I'm SUPER glad, Mr. Awesome talked me into the 12,000 watt 240v amp. It is literally night and day. The 8,000 watts (2,000 watts per sub) is very, very good, but the 12,000 watts (3,000 watts per sub) is OMG!

Another discussion is two of the 18" vs. four of the 18" subs. Once channel 2 of my amp was down, it felt very good in the theater, way more bass than most other systems, but having four literally puts it in a different planet altogether.

Conclusion: Two Deep Sea Sound subs with 2,000 watts each will out perform just about anything out there. Four with 3,000 watts will rock your world! I'm in heaven again!!!

At first I was a bit apprehensive about buying from an Internet Direct company, but many here held David and his products in high regard. I pulled the trigger and I'm so glad I did. I have experienced everything from planning to warranty replacement, I can say...

I have NEVER met anyone more passionate about his products and willing to support as David Gage from Deep Sea Sound. He has helped me make my theater better in so many different ways. He truly cares! Thank you, David!!!
dgage, healthnut, grtuck and 2 others like this.

post #1546 of 2003 Old 01-25-2017, 07:46 PM

Mentioned: 231 Post(s)
Quoted: 5333 Post(s)
Liked: 4834
@Aareses did/do you level match?
post #1547 of 2003 Old 01-26-2017, 08:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Alexander View Post
@Aareses did/do you level match?
Yes and no. The typical method without specialized equipment is to use a multi-meter. Turn up the main volume to 75% of maximum and match the amplifier gain(s) through a multi-step process. I did not perform that process, but I did level match by ear and an dB app on my phone. Before I describe that, here are the two DSS amps I experienced in summary:

2 of DSS Plate Amps - 120v, 2,000 watts per sub. Total of 8,000 watts.
1 of DSS Rack Amp - 240v, 3,000 watts per sub. Total 12,000 watts.

Keep in mind, the rest of the system remained the same through both experiences, including the subs and locations. Nothing changed except the plate amps vs. the rack amp.

I have heard many systems and subs in my life. I was sponsored by Rockford Fosgate in the early 90's and won 2nd in the Nation in the 1,001+ watts power class. My car hit 150db with a maxed RTA score. In the past year I have listened to many high end theaters in my area. I know what real performance is and have always dreamed to put that type of performance in my own theater. If I were to rate subwoofers and amplifier combinations on a scale from 1 to 10 for performance, here how I would classify them given my experiences:

Baseline 10 - My Competition Vehicle (2nd in IASCA Finals) - 10
Most of the high-end home theater subwoofer/amp combos - 6
DSS Plate Amp described above - 9
DSS Rack Amp described above - 14

Now before I go on, remember, I am a serious BASS HEAD. I love massive amounts of hard hitting, great sounding bass. There is a big difference between a lot of bass and really good, hard-hitting bass. I'm not looking for a lot of bass, but rather very impactful and great sounding bass. Most haven't experienced the difference and just don't know. Of those that do know, most do not like nearly as much bass. Meaning they would not listen at the levels I expect of my system. I consider myself very hard to please when it comes to good bass. In fact, the first local company and I parted ways over subwoofers. The owner of that company was great and had all the gear I would need, but I didn't want to buy four of his JL Audio Dominator or E-series subs (nor any other subs he sold). Great subs, but not anything near what I wanted. Literally he said, if I didn't buy my subs from him we needed to part ways, so we parted ways and I did most of the theater myself, with the help of Nyal Mellor, David Gage and the people of AVS. I have an approximately 280sf space with 8.2 foot ceilings and a 18" rear-riser in the back 1/3 of the theater.

So, back to your question. I knew what the DSS Rack amp was all about since I had experienced it, but knowing what I know now, there was a problem with channel 2 of that amp since day 1. When that channel went out, I was left with just two DSS subs. Those two subs far outperformed four of those expensive JL Audio subs (and other high end home theater subs), but it was weaker than I signed up for.

When I received the two plate amps David sent, I had to turn both plate amps close to maximum volume in order to achieve the incredible base I wanted. Right about 90% for the front two subs and about 80% for the rear two subs. It did great, but the gains were definitely set much higher.

Once I received my fully repaired rack amp back, I put it on the same gain and LF settings I had previously when it did work. OMG it blew me away! I had to turn down the gains substantially. It made me realize channel 2 was never really working at full strength. Like literally right now, the front subs gain is set at about 35% and the rears at about 25%. That subwoofer amp and subs have SOOOOOO much more to give. If I turn the gains up substantially more, it literally hurts me and my ears. I have so much headroom it's RIDICULOUS! If Nyal calibrates my system, we will likely have a friendly argument about me wanting more bass than he wants to calibrate.

In summary:

- Two 18" DSS subs with a single 4,000 plate amp is fantastic and beats most high-end home theater four sub systems!

- Four 18" DSS subs with two 4,000 watt plate amps (8,000 watts total) is way more than most would ever need!!

- Four 18" DSS Subs combined with the 12,000 watt (3,000 watts per sub) is literally out of control. Mr. Awesome seriously needs to put warning stickers on this system. It can literally hurt you!

- Four 24" DSS Subs combined with the 12,000 watt (3,000 watt per sub)...I seriously can't even imagine that. My insides hurt thinking about it.

I hope that answers your question.
grtuck and MaxTemp like this.

Last edited by Aareses; 01-26-2017 at 10:05 AM.
post #1548 of 2003 Old 01-26-2017, 02:30 PM

Mentioned: 231 Post(s)
Quoted: 5333 Post(s)
Liked: 4834
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aareses View Post
Yes, it was a great read!👍
post #1549 of 2003 Old 01-26-2017, 03:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 695 Post(s)
Liked: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aareses View Post
Yes and no. The typical method without specialized equipment is to use a multi-meter. Turn up the main volume to 75% of maximum and match the amplifier gain(s) through a multi-step process. I did not perform that process, but I did level match by ear and an dB app on my phone. Before I describe that, here are the two DSS amps I experienced in summary:

2 of DSS Plate Amps - 120v, 2,000 watts per sub. Total of 8,000 watts.
1 of DSS Rack Amp - 240v, 3,000 watts per sub. Total 12,000 watts.

Keep in mind, the rest of the system remained the same through both experiences, including the subs and locations. Nothing changed except the plate amps vs. the rack amp.

I have heard many systems and subs in my life. I was sponsored by Rockford Fosgate in the early 90's and won 2nd in the Nation in the 1,001+ watts power class. My car hit 150db with a maxed RTA score. In the past year I have listened to many high end theaters in my area. I know what real performance is and have always dreamed to put that type of performance in my own theater. If I were to rate subwoofers and amplifier combinations on a scale from 1 to 10 for performance, here how I would classify them given my experiences:

Baseline 10 - My Competition Vehicle (2nd in IASCA Finals) - 10
Most of the high-end home theater subwoofer/amp combos - 6
DSS Plate Amp described above - 9
DSS Rack Amp described above - 14

Now before I go on, remember, I am a serious BASS HEAD. I love massive amounts of hard hitting, great sounding bass. There is a big difference between a lot of bass and really good, hard-hitting bass. I'm not looking for a lot of bass, but rather very impactful and great sounding bass. Most haven't experienced the difference and just don't know. Of those that do know, most do not like nearly as much bass. Meaning they would not listen at the levels I expect of my system. I consider myself very hard to please when it comes to good bass. In fact, the first local company and I parted ways over subwoofers. The owner of that company was great and had all the gear I would need, but I didn't want to buy four of his JL Audio Dominator or E-series subs (nor any other subs he sold). Great subs, but not anything near what I wanted. Literally he said, if I didn't buy my subs from him we needed to part ways, so we parted ways and I did most of the theater myself, with the help of Nyal Mellor, David Gage and the people of AVS. I have an approximately 280sf space with 8.2 foot ceilings and a 18" rear-riser in the back 1/3 of the theater.

So, back to your question. I knew what the DSS Rack amp was all about since I had experienced it, but knowing what I know now, there was a problem with channel 2 of that amp since day 1. When that channel went out, I was left with just two DSS subs. Those two subs far outperformed four of those expensive JL Audio subs (and other high end home theater subs), but it was weaker than I signed up for.

When I received the two plate amps David sent, I had to turn both plate amps close to maximum volume in order to achieve the incredible base I wanted. Right about 90% for the front two subs and about 80% for the rear two subs. It did great, but the gains were definitely set much higher.

Once I received my fully repaired rack amp back, I put it on the same gain and LF settings I had previously when it did work. OMG it blew me away! I had to turn down the gains substantially. It made me realize channel 2 was never really working at full strength. Like literally right now, the front subs gain is set at about 35% and the rears at about 25%. That subwoofer amp and subs have SOOOOOO much more to give. If I turn the gains up substantially more, it literally hurts me and my ears. I have so much headroom it's RIDICULOUS! If Nyal calibrates my system, we will likely have a friendly argument about me wanting more bass than he wants to calibrate.

In summary:

- Two 18" DSS subs with a single 4,000 plate amp is fantastic and beats most high-end home theater four sub systems!

- Four 18" DSS subs with two 4,000 watt plate amps (8,000 watts total) is way more than most would ever need!!

- Four 18" DSS Subs combined with the 12,000 watt (3,000 watts per sub) is literally out of control. Mr. Awesome seriously needs to put warning stickers on this system. It can literally hurt you!

- Four 24" DSS Subs combined with the 12,000 watt (3,000 watt per sub)...I seriously can't even imagine that. My insides hurt thinking about it.

I thought going from 2000w to 3000w was only a 1.5db gain, assuming you're maxing the amp out already. Personally, I didn't notice that much of a difference when I upgraded from my sp1-4000 to sp1-6000 (240v), which is a 2000w/1.5db difference with my bhs-24.
post #1550 of 2003 Old 01-27-2017, 08:52 AM
Deep Sea Sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by lz7j View Post
I thought going from 2000w to 3000w was only a 1.5db gain, assuming you're maxing the amp out already. Personally, I didn't notice that much of a difference when I upgraded from my sp1-4000 to sp1-6000 (240v), which is a 2000w/1.5db difference with my bhs-24.
Couple of things going on here but the main one is a difference in gain. The SP2-12000 was special ordered from SpeakerPower and sent direct to Aareses with my DSP settings. So the internal DSP settings for gain were different from the SP1-4000 though I have increased the gain based on Aareses and feedback from a couple others. This is the primary issue as it pertains to Aareses' system.

A second discussion point is more anecdotal and I first noticed it before starting Deep Sea Sound when I had LMS-5400 Ultra 18" drivers. I initially had them powered by a single SP2-8000 so each sub would get 2000w. After feedback from Brian Oppegaard and Mark Seaton, I added a second SP2-8000 to my personal system and it took my system to the next level. So when I started Deep Sea Sound, I decided to jump straight to 4,000w per driver although that is a little much and I need to use a mild limiter to protect the driver. However, the gain over 2,000w is definitely noticeable, more so with the 18" driver than the 24" driver.
Aareses likes this.

David Gage
Deep Sea Sound
post #1551 of 2003 Old 01-27-2017, 09:01 AM
Deep Sea Sound

With the warranty issues Aareses had as well as to have rack mount amps available for sale, I added an SP2-8000 and SP2-12000 to my amp inventory with my latest amp order, which arrived yesterday. So now I have plenty of amps. And I have a delivery of subs coming in early next week so I have plenty of subs too.

I just need to finalize a few production and shipping details and then I will work on getting a few reviews. So I'm poised for growth I've been purposely putting off while I try to get the back-end in shape to handle some solid growth. Will be an exciting year.

David Gage
Deep Sea Sound
post #1552 of 2003 Old 01-27-2017, 09:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post
However, the gain over 2,000w is definitely noticeable.
Huge difference!

Quote:
With the warranty issues Aareses had as well as to have rack mount amps available for sale, I added an SP2-8000 and SP2-12000 to my amp inventory with my latest amp order, which arrived yesterday. So now I have plenty of amps. And I have a delivery of subs coming in early next week so I have plenty of subs too.

I just need to finalize a few production and shipping details and then I will work on getting a few reviews. So I'm poised for growth I've been purposely putting off while I try to get the back-end in shape to handle some solid growth. Will be an exciting year.
I went from being skeptical about buying to becoming a huge advocate after my experience. For the money, you can't do any better than Deep Sea Sound products. David's support and service is unparalleled.
healthnut, grtuck and Airgrady like this.

post #1553 of 2003 Old 01-27-2017, 11:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I'm really looking forward to reading these reviews and the response (and sales) they are sure to generate.

post #1554 of 2003 Old 01-31-2017, 07:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I've been rockin' with my Mariana 24" through some pretty bass intensive movies, but last week I was playing John Wick, (the scene where he's breaking up the concrete with a sledgehammer about 10 minutes in), and my sub started rattling, the dreaded "bottoming out." I then checked my overall volume level and it was only 57 Db, and my sub is set 8 db hot, so it was only outputting at 65 Db. I emailed David, awaiting his response, but does anyone here have any thoughts? Even the rescue scene in Lone Survivor didn't bottom it out, (and I think I had it a bit louder).

post #1555 of 2003 Old 01-31-2017, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthnut View Post
I've been rockin' with my Mariana 24" through some pretty bass intensive movies, but last week I was playing John Wick, (the scene where he's breaking up the concrete with a sledgehammer about 10 minutes in), and my sub started rattling, the dreaded "bottoming out." I then checked my overall volume level and it was only 57 Db, and my sub is set 8 db hot, so it was only outputting at 65 Db. I emailed David, awaiting his response, but does anyone here have any thoughts? Even the rescue scene in Lone Survivor didn't bottom it out, (and I think I had it a bit louder).

Did you attempt playback of the same scene over again to see if you can replicate it?

Not sure what you mean by your overall volume level.... What is 57dB on your volume in reference to reference volume?

post #1556 of 2003 Old 01-31-2017, 10:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Did you attempt playback of the same scene over again to see if you can replicate it?

Not sure what you mean by your overall volume level.... What is 57dB on your volume in reference to reference volume?

Yes, I went back and replayed the scene, same result. It also occurred in a number of scenes following. The 57 db was the overall volume using an SPL meter at my listening position. Reference is something like 85db, I believe. The point I was making was I was not over driving the Mariana. Thanks for responding.

post #1557 of 2003 Old 01-31-2017, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthnut View Post
Yes, I went back and replayed the scene, same result. It also occurred in a number of scenes following. The 57 db was the overall volume using an SPL meter at my listening position. Reference is something like 85db, I believe. The point I was making was I was not over driving the Mariana. Thanks for responding.

You can't check overall volume that way unfortunately. What volume was your receiver set to? Assuming you use the relative scale (-79dB to 0.0), I'd need to know what that was.

Reference peaks on the LFE channel if set flat would be 115dB, with average being 85dB, but once again, impossible to test at your seat with an spl meter.

post #1558 of 2003 Old 01-31-2017, 11:03 AM
Deep Sea Sound

Healthnut,

Couple of things.
  • The John Wick concrete breaking scene is one of my favorites. The way the sub hits so hard and then immediately stops is jaw-dropping impressive, especially on the 24. I'm not sure what frequency range that primarily hits in but I'm going to run it through SpecLab shortly to get a better idea. I do know the Lone Survivor long helicopter scene is around 6.7Hz, which should make it much more demanding than even the concrete breaking scene.
  • Can you go to your level setting in your receiver to play the pink noise and let us know what the receiver's volume says compared to your speaker and subwoofer volume? For the SPL meter, it should be set to C-weighting and Slow.
  • With the system off, can you go and push on the subwoofer driver straight in and out to see if you hear any scraping which would suggest a rubbing coil. However, for the sub to sound good on such a deep scene as Lone Survivor and bad on others may suggest a DSP setting. Do you have any DSP settings in your system affecting the subwoofer signal?

Let me take a look at the John Wick scene and then let's talk to figure this out.

David
hlnoiku and Molon_Labe like this.

David Gage
Deep Sea Sound
post #1559 of 2003 Old 01-31-2017, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1183 Post(s)
Liked: 986
In the last month, my home theater has gone through an extensive renovation.

Included in that was the addition of a near field sub, A Mariana 18. This past weekend I had my system calibrated to integrate that sub and the results were AWESOME!

Here is what I posted in the JBL thread with the addition of my thoughts on the subs...

The last two nights I went back to some additional demo material that I knew I was familiar with to see if I could hear a difference.

Answer is definitely yes.... I am so happy with how my room turned out, from a performance stand point.

Overall I find that the room is much more controlled. Dialog is very smooth and crisp compared to before. Besides the CD upgrade, I did do some modifications to my room acoustics as well. However I did listen to the stock CD's right after I made the acoustic changes. While that helped, the upgraded CD's made the most difference..

Regarding the DSS subs: My bass has never sounded so good, even Chad was happy with how it turned out. Bass is tight and hits even harder in the mid bass region. Having the 18" in near field is a game changer for my room. It allows me to smooth things out overall in my room still giving me PLENTY of low end with the near field adding a little more mid bass. End result is FANTASTIC LFE!

We are having 20-30 folks over for the SB on Sunday and I plan on running through some demos which should be fun. My favorite has to be John Wick. The cement scene and the first shootout in his house both show how special the DSS subs are.
grtuck and Molon_Labe like this.
post #1560 of 2003 Old 01-31-2017, 04:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Healthnut,

Couple of things.

• The John Wick concrete breaking scene is one of my favorites. The way the sub hits so hard and then immediately stops is jaw-dropping impressive, especially on the 24. I'm not sure what frequency range that primarily hits in but I'm going to run it through SpecLab shortly to get a better idea. I do know the Lone Survivor long helicopter scene is around 6.7Hz, which should make it much more demanding than even the concrete breaking scene.
  • Can you go to your level setting in your receiver to play the pink noise and let us know what the receiver's volume says compared to your speaker and subwoofer volume? For the SPL meter, it should be set to C-weighting and Slow.
  • With the system off, can you go and push on the subwoofer driver straight in and out to see if you hear any scraping which would suggest a rubbing coil. However, for the sub to sound good on such a deep scene as Lone Survivor and bad on others may suggest a DSP setting. Do you have any DSP settings in your system affecting the subwoofer signal?

Let me take a look at the John Wick scene and then let's talk to figure this out.

David

Hi David: When this first occurred, I played pink noise from the receiver and measured it as you described, and the mains were measuring 57 DB. I've been running the sub about 8db hot, so it would have been at 65db. I'm applying no separated DSP processing from my Yamaha 3060, but I do have a DSpeaker in the mix to tame peaks.
Pushing on the sub driver reveals no scrapping or other abnormal sounds. I also forwarded you some clips where the rattling occurs. Appreciate your help with this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page