Official Deep Sea Sound Thread - Page 54 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2268Likes

post #1591 of 2022 Old 04-17-2017, 10:51 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 511 Post(s)
Liked: 464
@Jerry Bruckheimer Fan
@fantastic Bass and Where to Find It

I placed 2nd overall in the 1001+ Amateur division in the 1992 IASCA Finals, Tulsa, OK. I maxed out my RTA score and still hit 145.7dB in a car. I knew what performance was and had always dreamed of being able to do that in my own theater. Last year I was finally able to make my dream a reality. I started here on AVS and talking with local theater companies. I received very good advice on AVS. From users on these forums, I was introduced to Nyal Mellor, who is one of the best and highly certified home theater designers in the country. Nyal helped me design the room.

After close to a year, my new theater was finally built and Nyal came to calibrate it. When it came to the subs, Nyal was very impressed. He said my low frequencies are incredibly robust. Before calibration, they were really good. After calibration, they were phenomenal! I couldn't believe how tight and musical the subs were. These are 18" subs in a 280 square foot room. Before Nyal came, I was super happy with my subs and their performance. When one of the best designers in the country tells me they are impressed with my bass, that's pretty incredible confirmation of what I was hearing. You can read more about the calibration experience with Nyal here:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/86-ult...l#post52109913

Before I built my theater, I did many demos in many showrooms. I listened to their systems, including their bass. I wasn't impressed with ANY of their low frequency setups, so I started looking elsewhere, including AVS. Keep in mind, those showrooms were all very high end home theater companies.

I came across Deep Sea Sound and David Gage on these forums after having read a very positive review of the new DSS 24". I had listened to several different subs, but couldn't demo DSS. I spent a lot of time talking to others on AVS and reading their reviews. I priced out many sub manufacturer setups, including Rythmik Audio, SVS, HSU, Seaton, JTR to name a few. After researching heavily, I came to the conclusion that Seaton, JTR or Deep Sea Sound were the best performing subs out there. I would have to take a leap of faith on any of the three though, because I couldn't demo them for myself.

I spoke with each of the owners of these companies. David Gage was incredibly detailed about my particular setup and room. He has helped me in numerous ways. As an example, I have a concrete floor and David knew how important a tactile feel was for me. He tested several different floor setups with different combinations of concrete, wood, rubber and cork. He posted the results on AVS and to me. I followed David's advice and my room is FAR more tactile now because of all of David's additional efforts.

One of the channels in the amp failed. David got it repaired right away and sent me "loaner" amps because we had family coming from out of state during the holidays. He didn't want them to be disappointed. During the build, David sent me a "template" box for my contractors, so they could use it as a template to build my riser. He recently sent me a rubber and wood sandwich to help with my projector. I accidentally broke a speaker post on one of the subs while installing in the rear riser. David sent a repair kit and walked me through it over the phone.

David never asked for a dime for any of those extras ^. He did it because he is a stand-up guy and he truly wants his customers to have a great experience.

Now, I have a very nice theater, with high-performance equipment and speakers. The subs are super tight and musical. They rock my world with crazy hard impacts on movies, but are super musical during those tracks.

My theater wouldn't be nearly as good without Deep Sea Sound subs AND David's assistance!

Evolution of My Theater Build

Speakers: Procella P8 (LCR), P6V (2 Front Side), P5 (2 Rear Side, 2 Rear, 4 Ceiling). Subs: Deep Sea Sound Custom 18" Mariana (4). Amps: Crown DCi 8|300 (2), SpeakerPower SP2-12000-HT. Processors: Yamaha CX-A5100, Xilica XP-8080 (2). Video: JVC RS400, 2.37 Seymour AV 120" Enlightor 4K Screen, Kaleidescape Strato, Philips BDP7501. Control: iRule.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1592 of 2022 Old 04-19-2017, 04:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 976 Post(s)
Liked: 962
David recently set up 2 DSS 18's in my space, and even optimized their setup and positioning. Using MiniDSP and REW, he was able to produce a fantastically flat response curve, and after living with it for a few days, I can post some detailed impressions:
- the bass is tight, nuanced and detailed: it's the furthest thing from boomy or single-noted. Different effects all have their own unique sonic signature. These excel for home theater, but would also reproduce music perfectly.
-voices are not drowned out by LFE, everything seems well-balanced and natural.
-the subs don't seem to straining at all, the room is full of deep bass, but the subs appear to be loafing along (love those 4k amps!)
-my son has been having dental issues, and he complained the bass was rattling his teeth! Plenty of impact.
- there's no localization issues at all (I have each sub at the midpoint of the front and back of the room). The subs simply contribute where and when called, and don't draw any unnecessary attention to themselves.
- even my significant other is accepting of them (I think their balanced response curve helps with this, though I am tempted to bump some of the mid and lower bass frequencies a bit)
- these have a surprisingly small footprint, and the rounded corners have a very classy look. If you don't have room for the 24"'s, a pair of these would work very nicely. Very well done Mr. Gage!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
coolrda, grtuck and Aareses like this.
post #1593 of 2022 Old 04-19-2017, 05:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked: 2544
^^ good to hear. Are you running them with your 1200D Behringer MBM?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1594 of 2022 Old 04-19-2017, 06:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvuong View Post
^^ good to hear. Are you running them with your 1200D Behringer MBM?

Yes, actually I have 3 1200's, one behind each front seat. I also supplement with Crowson Tactile Transducers under the front row, since I'm on concrete, and this adds positively to the bass experience.

post #1595 of 2022 Old 04-19-2017, 07:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked: 2544
^^ Must sound and feel awesome
post #1596 of 2022 Old 04-20-2017, 09:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvuong View Post
^^ Must sound and feel awesome

Yes, in my space (concrete) and wanting some real tactility, I really needed the 3 bass sources (the Mariana, the 1200's and the Crowsons). It s a little complicated getting them all to play nicely together, but now I've got all the BASES (pun intended) covered!

Marc Alexander likes this.
post #1597 of 2022 Old 04-20-2017, 10:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 245 Post(s)
Quoted: 1391 Post(s)
Liked: 1508
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post
Thanks for the kind words. I'd rather my customers respond on the sound quality and they have so now I can weigh in. My taste in bass was defined over 25 years ago when I installed car stereos while in high school. While I installed sub systems of all kinds including quad 15" ported monsters taking up an entire hatchback, my truck had a single Boston Acoustic Pro 10" sealed sub. I had plenty of output but the ultimate goal was tight, clean bass and that hasn't changed.

Many people new to large 18" and especially the 24" sub think they are too large to be fast and articulate. Sorry to disappoint the uninitiated but physics is on our side, an 80 lb motor-magnet has no problems moving a 1+ lb cone and making it move wherever it wants, whenever it wants. I started this company due to the 24" as I was one of those surprised by how clean, accurate, and effortless it was and even more so when I found out the sub was crossed at 100Hz. When I was at THE Newport Show in LA a couple years ago, I crossed the Mariana 24 at 120Hz just to show what it was capable of. I should point out the 18" shares many parts with the 24" including the magnet-motor so it of course is strong, powerful, clean, and tight as well.

Now, one other thing that surprises many people is how much the room truly affects a speaker and sub system. You could have the most expensive/best speakers in an untreated room and an inexpensive set of speakers in a treated room and I'd be pretty confident the speakers in the treated room would sound better. So some of the boomyness you might be referring to could be due to the room, especially with a single subwoofer. I am a huge fan of multiple subwoofers as the more subwoofers you have, the more even the bass will be in a room, up to 4 subs as beyond that there is a diminishing return. I have exchanged Mariana 24s from two customers for a pair of Mariana 18s (each) so the bass is more even as well as the fact that they weren't using the full capabilities of the single 24. But the primary reason they both wanted to exchange was for more even bass in the room provided by multiple subwoofers.

So if the Mariana 24 has too much output, why go for it? I've measured it in many rooms and the 24s are flat to about 7 Hz in those rooms, in one case it was flat down to 6 Hz. So the reason for the 24 is for those that want deep bass to be able to reproduce anything in a movie and yes there is material down below 10 Hz though not in all movies. But you will find sub-10 Hz content in all types of movies from of course action movies to animated movies and everything in between. Another reason to go with larger subs is effortless, clean bass. If you're not having to push a subwoofer hard, there won't be any distortion and you'll get much cleaner bass than pushing a smaller sub some. And I should point out that a pair of Mariana 18s is almost equal to a single Mariana 24 and if someone is trying to decide between the two, I will push towards multiple subs.

Regarding the amps, I have run a rack-mount SP2-8000 on a shared 20A circuit without issue so you can generally run a pair of the SP1-4000 amps on a single 120V 20A circuit without issue though I wouldn't have a bunch of other stuff on the same circuit. A 20A circuit can pull more amperage in short bursts plus you have to realize the SpeakerPower amps were designed specifically for subs and are over 95% efficient. So you can't exactly do the 4,000w calculations against 20A in terms of power but realize that it is a true continuous 4,000w and has been tested to have more long-term power output than any other amp that I know of. Again, part of that is the amp is a purpose-built subwoofer amp while most other amps are full range. Now Snowmanick and Aareses both have quad Mariana 18S systems with the SpeakerPower SP2-12000 240V amplifier, which saves some money by using 2 amp channels but still providing 3,000w per sub. This is likely my highest performing, yet bang for the buck system as you get 4 subwoofers, great power, yet not spend as much for 4 amplifiers. The only issue with sharing subwoofer channels is you will have to equally position each pair of subs equi-distant to the listening position such as in the corners or left/right of the center and similar in back.

Thanks for your interest, I hope that answered your questions effectively, along with feedback from owners living with their subs. Thanks guys!
Nice summation. This post should be place on the first page.
post #1598 of 2022 Old 04-20-2017, 11:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 3479 Post(s)
Liked: 4201
As much as I love my DSS and David personally, I long for the day when his products will surpass the pinnacle of LFE.

post #1599 of 2022 Old 04-20-2017, 11:46 AM
Deep Sea Sound

Mentioned: 224 Post(s)
Quoted: 1797 Post(s)
Liked: 1716
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolrda View Post
Nice summation. This post should be place on the first page.
I'm working to include this information on the website and plan to offer multiples as well (shared amps). I will publish the updated website with the updated rounded look of the Mariana 18S (not the 24 due to so large, at least not yet) once I get some inventory of subs ready to ship out. Probably will have everything buttoned up in June.

David Gage
Deep Sea Sound
"You don't listen to our subs, you EXPERIENCE them!"
post #1600 of 2022 Old 04-20-2017, 11:48 AM
Deep Sea Sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molon_Labe View Post
As much as I love my DSS and David personally, I long for the day when his products will surpass the pinnacle of LFE.

I actually bought one to see if I could match the output, quality, and depth but when I did ground-plane measurements, it broke my microphone and the software simply said "too awesome". So unfortunately, I had to set my sights a little lower. You can't beat them all.

David Gage
Deep Sea Sound

Last edited by dgage; 04-20-2017 at 12:30 PM.
post #1601 of 2022 Old 04-20-2017, 12:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 3479 Post(s)
Liked: 4201
Quote:
I actually bought one to see if I could match the output, quality, and depth but when I did ground-plane measurements, it broke my microphone and the software simply said "too awesome". So unfortunately, I had to set my sites a little lower. You can't beat them all.
I am so thankful you understand. I knew I was "settling" with your subs compared to the Bose, but I really wanted to pull for the "little guy". I couldn't bring myself to tell you in person when you were at the house, and I felt so two-faced after you left. There are subs and then there is the...... Acoustomas. I am so glad we were able to clear the air on this buddy. I am still a fan, but physics are physics and marketing is still marketing. Still friends?
dgage, Hopinater and grtuck like this.
post #1602 of 2022 Old 04-20-2017, 12:25 PM
Deep Sea Sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowmanick View Post
@Jerry Bruckheimer Fan ,

I was in a bit of a rush this morning so I didn't get to really expound on my system much, but I do want to share that these are amazing, musical, powerful subs at a very reasonable size and more than reasonable price. David is a top notch guy to work with, very patient in answering my many, many questions before and after the sale.

I've been bouncing back and forth between action movies on Bluray and music on vinyl a lot lately. The subs don't blink at either. Even after hours of work they just him along like nothing happened.

Having a rack mount amp also made setup easier as it was just speaker wire that I ran to the locations and didn't need to worry about power cords, running new lines to multiple locations and so on.

Plus everything is "kid proof." I have two young ones who climb on and play around the subs. Since they are built like tanks (the subs.... well my son is too) I haven't had a single issue. Plus with all the controls being located in my audio rack and not on the back of the subs, the kids can't change settings.

I've had these for about six months and listen to the system with them every single day. Yet they still impress and surprise the hell out of me. Truly a fantastic product.
I also want to thank you guys for the great reviews. I've been asked in the past if I plan to work with dealers and the answer is no since I thoroughly enjoy interacting with my customers, which allow me to sometimes help make their systems better and also get feedback on how to make my products better. Thanks.

David Gage
Deep Sea Sound
post #1603 of 2022 Old 04-20-2017, 01:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3583 Post(s)
Liked: 11402
Quote:
Quote:
I actually bought one to see if I could match the output, quality, and depth but when I did ground-plane measurements, it broke my microphone and the software simply said "too awesome". So unfortunately, I had to set my sights a little lower. You can't beat them all.
Quote:
I am so thankful you understand. I knew I was "settling" with your subs compared to the Bose, but I really wanted to pull for the "little guy". I couldn't bring myself to tell you in person when you were at the house, and I felt so two-faced after you left. There are subs and then there is the...... Acoustomas. I am so glad we were able to clear the air on this buddy. I am still a fan, but physics are physics and marketing is still marketing. Still friends?
LOL… You know what's really awesome? Is owning an Acoustomas. Which I did at one time back in the mid 90's. And I kid you not, I don't think I ever actually heard what could be considered a bass note come out of it. So…. I got that going for me.

I would love to hear a DSS sub some day. They look like they are something to behold.
Molon_Labe likes this.

Subwoofers: PSA TV36 iPal X2 ...Speakers: PSA MTM-210T L/R - PSA MTM-210C Center- PSA MT110SR's Surrounds - RSL C34E Atmos... Motion Actuators: Crowson Shadow 8 - X2
Video: Samsung UN65KS9000 4K SUHD - Oppo UDP-203... AVR:Denon X4400... Gaming: XBOX ONE S

Guide to Subwoofer Calibration and Bass Preferences
post #1604 of 2022 Old 04-20-2017, 02:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
sometimes help make their systems better
That is an understatement! David took my system to a level I never thought was achievable. My music to movie ratio used to be around 80/20, since Deep Sea Sound subs entered my home the music to movie ratio has changed to 20/80. I have also purchased a new 75 inch Sony 4k tv and an Oppo 4k dvd payer because I have a new found love of movie watching in my home. All thanks to David.

Keep up the great work Deep Sea Sound.

Grady
healthnut, grtuck and Aareses like this.

Last edited by Airgrady; 04-21-2017 at 08:44 AM.
post #1605 of 2022 Old 04-27-2017, 01:55 PM
Deep Sea Sound

Just wanted to give an update and a few teaser images. We've been working on solidifying our design and dealing with a few issues as I'll detail below but we're pretty close to our goal of keeping inventory of subwoofers in stock and ready to ship within a matter of a couple days. We already have drivers and amps in stock (including the SP2-8000 and SP2-12000 rack mount amps) and we're almost there with the enclosures. We plan to update the website with pictures of all of the stains we offer (pictures will switch when you select a different stain) as well as update the information, FAQs, etc based on questions we often get via email. And once that happens, we'll then focus on a marketing push with reviews and everything.

One of the recent changes that made us really happy was the work we did with Nick at Stereo Integrity in developing the mkII version of the 18" and 24" drivers. Two primary goals were to make them work even better in our smaller enclosures as well as to standardize on a single magnet-motor for both drivers to reduce component inventory requirements. For the Mariana 24SC/SR, this resulted in more magnet force and even better sound (heard and measured) than the mkI driver. For the Mariana 18S, the move to a much stronger magnet-motor made an even greater improvement in sound quality, this one really blew me away. The mkI driver was impressive but the mkII driver takes it to another level of quality, capability, and refinement. Unfortunately, there was an engineering challenge in dealing with the more powerful and larger magnet of the mkII 18" driver. The magnet-motor was so big and powerful, and so close to the amp in the Mariana 18s, the SP1-4000 wouldn't turn on. In working with SpeakerPower, we identified the magnetic field was interfering with a component on the amp and had to get it shielded. This was a new one for SpeakerPower so that tells you we truly do have one of the most powerful 18" subwoofers on the market or at least that is the way I plan to spin it. LOL!

Besides some of the engineering challenges, we've also been working on refining the enclosure design, especially since we received so many requests for rounded corners or anything other than a square box. We initially offered an option for solid wood rounded corners but we soon learned this was difficult and time-consuming and wouldn't work for our standard design. As you'll see in the attached pictures, we went with rounded corners on the Mariana 18S along with veneering the recessed area next to the subwoofer. We've developed the jigs and capabilities that allows this to become our standard offering as well as offering 8 standard colors using furniture quality dyes/stains. Due to the sheer size of the Mariana 24, we won't be switching to a rounded design there though we will look at that in the future. One challenge of the Mariana 24, again with the size is we'd need a sheet of veneer almost 12' long to go around all 4 sides. The veneer that goes around the Mariana 18 is over 7' long as it is. Another challenge specific to the Mariana 24SR is that it can be placed upright or longways, which makes it difficult to identify where the seam of the veneer should be located. Again, we'll look at the Mariana 24 but there are no current plans to switch it to a rounded design.

So we're now working to build up an inventory of enclosures (all colors) so we can ship subs out within a few days of placing an order. We'll be getting professional pictures of each color and updating the website so that a change in stain choice will also change the pictures to that color. We'll also update the website information to address many questions we often get via email. Once we do that, we'll make a marketing push and gets subs into reviewers hands. Just wanted to give an update since we've been pretty quiet over the last many months. Things are moving slower than we would like but I'd rather do things right than put us into a situation that could negatively affect our reputation. And to our customers, especially the ones active in this thread, thank you so much for the detailed responses, information, and impressions you've shared. I truly appreciate it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mariana 18S Rosewood Front Profile.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	2105801   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mariana 18S Rosewood Rear.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	2105809  

David Gage
Deep Sea Sound

Last edited by dgage; 04-27-2017 at 02:01 PM.
post #1606 of 2022 Old 04-27-2017, 02:00 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Holy moly. I would never take the grill out of the box.
dgage likes this.
post #1607 of 2022 Old 04-27-2017, 03:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 468 Post(s)
Liked: 641
Wow, that Rosewood looks great!
dgage likes this.
post #1608 of 2022 Old 04-27-2017, 03:43 PM
Writer & Reviewer

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2252 Post(s)
Liked: 3441
Hopefully you're able to find a solution that will allow for rounding the corners on the 24, because that 18 looks very impressive with the new style!
dgage likes this.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite...
post #1609 of 2022 Old 04-27-2017, 03:58 PM
Deep Sea Sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post
Hopefully you're able to find a solution that will allow for rounding the corners on the 24, because that 18 looks very impressive with the new style!
Actually its pretty simple. Just buy veneer in 144" lengths either online in smaller quantities or from my supplier in much larger quantities since they don't normally stock it. Oh yeah, and get an overhead crane (fine, I'm exaggerating, but at least a hoist) to pick up the Mariana 24 and drop it into the (supersized) veneering jig I designed for the Mariana 18. LOL! Thanks Jim. There you go adding one more item to my overly lengthy to-do list.

David Gage
Deep Sea Sound
post #1610 of 2022 Old 04-27-2017, 04:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1871 Post(s)
Liked: 1947
Quote:
Just wanted to give an update and a few teaser images......

That sub is beautiful David. I'm glad to hear things are coming together for you. It sounds very promising with the new improvements.
dgage likes this.
post #1611 of 2022 Old 04-27-2017, 04:11 PM
Writer & Reviewer

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2252 Post(s)
Liked: 3441
Quote:
Thanks Jim. There you go adding one more item to my overly lengthy to-do list.
Always glad to help!
dgage likes this.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite...
post #1612 of 2022 Old 04-27-2017, 04:13 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 253 Post(s)
Quoted: 5628 Post(s)
Liked: 5218
Quote:
Just wanted to give an update and a few teaser images.
I love it!
dgage likes this.
post #1613 of 2022 Old 04-27-2017, 04:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3583 Post(s)
Liked: 11402
I agree with all the others, that's a beautiful looking sub. Well done… very well done.
dgage likes this.

Subwoofers: PSA TV36 iPal X2 ...Speakers: PSA MTM-210T L/R - PSA MTM-210C Center- PSA MT110SR's Surrounds - RSL C34E Atmos... Motion Actuators: Crowson Shadow 8 - X2
Video: Samsung UN65KS9000 4K SUHD - Oppo UDP-203... AVR:Denon X4400... Gaming: XBOX ONE S

Guide to Subwoofer Calibration and Bass Preferences
post #1614 of 2022 Old 04-28-2017, 03:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked: 632
Awesome, man! If I ever get to build a new house and put in a dedicated room, adding two 24"-ers near-field for effect will certainly be on my mind...something about cone area to distance and particle velocity, bla bla, lol.
dgage likes this.
post #1615 of 2022 Old 04-28-2017, 03:40 PM
Deep Sea Sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWarrior View Post
Awesome, man! If I ever get to build a new house and put in a dedicated room, adding two 24"-ers near-field for effect will certainly be on my mind...something about cone area to distance and particle velocity, bla bla, lol.
Naw. Two 24s near-field is more like liquified organs, bla bla, lol. Though come to think of it, I haven't tried that...hmm...just might have to try that.
DreamWarrior and grtuck like this.

David Gage
Deep Sea Sound
post #1616 of 2022 Old 04-28-2017, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWarrior View Post
Don't forget what happened to Kevin Bacon in Hollow Man!
DreamWarrior likes this.
post #1617 of 2022 Old 04-28-2017, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipless View Post
Sounds like that forum member to whom you referred should have posted those pictures by now Better late than never though!

My outdated iPhone 4s camera doesn't do this thing justice, but these should give people some idea of the scale and quality of the DSS 24 Mariana "Max" (i.e. "Kaiju") End Table:

I love these side tables!
Quote:
An AVSer asked me about providing an end table option on the smaller Mariana 18s...I thought it too small but there is no real reason not to offer it so I added it to the website.

Further discussions with this AVSer gave me the idea to offer a more end table sized 18" offering, in this case a Mariana D18S. This dual opposed 18" offering would use a single 4,000w amp so each sub would get 2,000 watts. Size wise it would be end table sized around 28-30" x 28-30" x 21-22" tall (+4" for end table option). Any thoughts on this offering?
Whatever happened with these ideas? I don't see a 18" side table option on the website. The dual opposed setup sounds especially appealing (to keep the cab inert)!

Has a DO ever been built/sold? Pics? 😁

Last edited by Marc Alexander; 04-28-2017 at 08:18 PM.
post #1618 of 2022 Old 04-29-2017, 11:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

More positive feedback from my dual 18's, this time from my 24 year old son. He greatly appreciated the quality of the bass and the lack of boominess: powerful, yet tight and controlled and clean. That, along with the surprising endorsement of my significant other, "seals" the deal. I believe the bass quality is due to a number of factors:
-the sealed design
-the 4k amp
-careful application of the DSP
These factors, along with the careful positioning and EQing that David performed, produced a winning combination.

dgage, femi, ambesolman and 1 others like this.
post #1619 of 2022 Old 04-29-2017, 03:45 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 112
I received some nice feedback last night as well.

I had four friends over that hadn't watched a movie at my house previously. We decided to watch the 4K UHD version of John Wick, as none of them had seen it, and it allows the all parts of the system stretch its legs a bit (though they were mostly interested in the subs).

Before we started the movie, they requested that I show them what the subs can do...so I turned it up to some random bass song. They were in shock, it was pretty hilarious.

After the movie was over they said that it wasn't "watching a movie, it was an experience!"

On a side note, I measured the DB-C of the system with the bass song and was getting 120db's in most parts of the room, and 130 right at the subs. This was just with some $60 meter that says it is calibrated to within +/- 1.5db but I'm far from an expert as the accuracy of this, and I didn't want to set up my better mic and REW. I was pretty ecstatic seeing my meter last night, especially since my room is not small (~4000 cu ft). The reason I brought this up is that I was wondering what levels some of the rest of you are getting with these amazing subs?

dgage and Airgrady like this.

Sony 75" Z9D - Tivo Bolt+ - Roku Ultra - OPPO UDP-203 - Apple TV 4K
Datasat LS10 (w/ DIRAC - Atmos - DTS-X) - Two Emotiva XPA-7's (2nd Gen)
Seven Triad InWall Silver LCR's & Four KEF Ci200RR-THX Atmos speakers - Two Deep Sea Sound Mariana 24" subs - Vicoustic room treatment
post #1620 of 2022 Old 04-29-2017, 04:39 PM
Deep Sea Sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Alexander View Post
Don't forget what happened to Kevin Bacon in Hollow Man!
That was a scary picture for the web page to open onto, especially with a big monitor.

David Gage
Deep Sea Sound
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page