Official Deep Sea Sound Thread - Page 66 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2241Likes

post #1951 of 2003 Old 03-21-2019, 09:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1044 Post(s)
Liked: 615
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post
*snip*
Even if you already have carpet, it wouldn’t be that expensive to pull it up and put a couple layers of floor sheathing down over the rubber. Then again, I would understand completely if that weren’t an option but I’d at least recommend considering it as it would impart a much more tactile bass.
*snip*
I don't know if I could do that -- it's one huge open-area and raising that one spot would basically create a "stub-my-toe" situation. I'd probably have to raise it a full step, and that'd cut into my head-room too much. The real b-tch of it all is that I believe I have 9' poured walls, but the HVAC and one beam digs into the ceiling height, so the drop-ceiling was set lower to keep the whole space at a consistent level. So, I end up with 7'6"-ish finished ceiling height, with lots of wasted height under much of it.

Guess I'll just need enough woofage to shake the concrete floor, HAHA!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1952 of 2003 Old 03-22-2019, 10:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 2324 Post(s)
Liked: 1637
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWarrior View Post
Guess I'll just need enough woofage to shake the concrete floor, HAHA!
Like you, I'm also on concrete floor and I highly recommend crowsons. Its not that the subs can't shake the floor, its just the concrete doesn't transfer as much energy as riser or suspended floor would. It doesn't take away from your subs or anything but it really shakes your seating if that's what you want.

Theater room: Sony 45es | 120 inch screen | Panasonic BDT500 | Rotel RMB-1077 | Outlaw Audio 976 | Klipsch RP-280F/RP-450C/RP-160M (x4) | Funk Audio subs (x2) | MiniDSP 2x4HD | Crowson D-501/Shadow-8 Actuators (x2) | Monster Power Conditioner | GIK acoustic panels

TV Room: Panny 60 inch | Rotel RMB-1075 | Rotel RSP-1068 | Axiom Audio M60/VP150/QS8
post #1953 of 2003 Old 03-22-2019, 11:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ereed View Post
Like you, I'm also on concrete floor and I highly recommend crowsons. Its not that the subs can't shake the floor, its just the concrete doesn't transfer as much energy as riser or suspended floor would. It doesn't take away from your subs or anything but it really shakes your seating if that's what you want.
I just want to feel the pressure, but that's hard since the room is large and open-concept. I don't care much about shaking, and the back-massage comes from the near-field subs, lol. But that pressure feeling that makes the hairs on my arm stand up, I think that just needs woofage and a willingness to risk my home's structural integrity, lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1954 of 2003 Old 03-22-2019, 09:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I just want to feel the pressure, but that's hard since the room is large and open-concept. I don't care much about shaking, and the back-massage comes from the near-field subs, lol. But that pressure feeling that makes the hairs on my arm stand up, I think that just needs woofage and a willingness to risk my home's structural integrity, lol.
With dual 24 inch subs you won't have that problem! Maybe you just need to turn the subs up!

Theater room: Sony 45es | 120 inch screen | Panasonic BDT500 | Rotel RMB-1077 | Outlaw Audio 976 | Klipsch RP-280F/RP-450C/RP-160M (x4) | Funk Audio subs (x2) | MiniDSP 2x4HD | Crowson D-501/Shadow-8 Actuators (x2) | Monster Power Conditioner | GIK acoustic panels

TV Room: Panny 60 inch | Rotel RMB-1075 | Rotel RSP-1068 | Axiom Audio M60/VP150/QS8
post #1955 of 2003 Old 03-23-2019, 09:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
With dual 24 inch subs you won't have that problem! Maybe you just need to turn the subs up!
Well, right now, I don't have dual 24"s, but I do have 4 Seaton F18s (on two amps) and two Seaton Submerssive HPs (one one amp) -- but, I probably need to get their impulse responses aligned better and the whole open-area of the basement is probably around 1000sqft, so...maybe I still need more woofage, lol.
iceatola likes this.
post #1956 of 2003 Old 03-23-2019, 09:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Well, right now, I don't have dual 24"s, but I do have 4 Seaton F18s (on two amps) and two Seaton Submerssive HPs (one one amp) -- but, I probably need to get their impulse responses aligned better and the whole open-area of the basement is probably around 1000sqft, so...maybe I still need more woofage, lol.
I think you have plenty of subs. Have you got them spread out and time aligned with minidsp and checking in REW? That would be a good start. Maybe having one very near field as well. And if you decide you have done everything and still need more wooferage just add some DSS 18s or 24s in the mix. Good thing about sealed subs is they usually play very nicely together.

post #1957 of 2003 Old 03-23-2019, 10:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1301 Post(s)
Liked: 737
Quote:
1000sqft?

What’s the total cubic footage?
post #1958 of 2003 Old 03-23-2019, 08:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I think you have plenty of subs. Have you got them spread out and time aligned with minidsp and checking in REW? That would be a good start. Maybe having one very near field as well. And if you decide you have done everything and still need more wooferage just add some DSS 18s or 24s in the mix. Good thing about sealed subs is they usually play very nicely together.
I have the front four F18s pretty spread out, but it's an odd configuration if you take the entire basement space into perspective. I have the two SubMs (on one amp) near-field directly behind my seats. I do not have a minidsp, but the subs have delay control, and I've tweaked them a little by ear. I certainly need to get REW on there to check impulse -- it's on my to-do list. I bought a 25' HDMI cable and I have a calibrated mic (Dayton, it came with my OmniMic kit). I just need to find time to mess with it. Last time I tried I had no luck because I couldn't get REW to send signal just to my subs, I assume I need ASIO to do that, but my window expired before I could get to it (read my wife needed me, lol).

Quote:
Originally Posted by laserjock II View Post
1000sqft?

What’s the total cubic footage?
It's a 7.5' drop ceiling, but I'm not sure that's the right number to use as the bass probably travels right through the drop-ceiling -- maybe the height to the sub-floor above? That's about 8.5'. Plus there is a stair-case in there with dry-wall on either side. So, I don't really know how to compute how much area the subs "see" to pressurize, but likely more than the 12'x30'x7.5' area I've set the stuff up in.
post #1959 of 2003 Old 03-25-2019, 08:23 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 401 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5644 Post(s)
Liked: 5499
Quote:

It's a 7.5' drop ceiling, but I'm not sure that's the right number to use as the bass probably travels right through the drop-ceiling -- maybe the height to the sub-floor above? That's about 8.5'. Plus there is a stair-case in there with dry-wall on either side. So, I don't really know how to compute how much area the subs "see" to pressurize, but likely more than the 12'x30'x7.5' area I've set the stuff up in.
Yea the drop ceiling is basically invisible to the subs. You also need to take into account if above the drop ceiling if the sheetrock doesn't seal off the room to other parts of the basement. For instance, above my drop ceiling grid, the studs of course go floor to sub-flooring of second story, but the sheet rock only terminates about 6 inches above the grid, leaving open space to the other area of the basement which is storage. That makes the sub effectively "See" that part of the room too. Otherwise, our spaces are essentially identical in dimensions actually. I Think I may have mentioned that before though

European Models do not accept banana plugs
Belly of the Beast: Bass Bunker Theater
post #1960 of 2003 Old 03-25-2019, 01:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
Yea the drop ceiling is basically invisible to the subs. You also need to take into account if above the drop ceiling if the sheetrock doesn't seal off the room to other parts of the basement. For instance, above my drop ceiling grid, the studs of course go floor to sub-flooring of second story, but the sheet rock only terminates about 6 inches above the grid, leaving open space to the other area of the basement which is storage. That makes the sub effectively "See" that part of the room too. Otherwise, our spaces are essentially identical in dimensions actually. I Think I may have mentioned that before though
Well, if that's the case then the subs probably "see" my entire basement, including the bathroom and storage area. Maybe that's why I need more woofage, lol. But, I suppose I probably should at least put in the effort to REW the darn thing and get my subs time-aligned before coming to that conclusion definitively. Some day....

And, yes, you've said our spaces are pretty close. Your sentiments pushed me to get things set up because I was feeling pretty down-and-out beforehand. I'm glad for the motivation, because surprisingly, I like the way it sounds down there more than I did in my living room before! I still wish I had more width, but...since 90% of the time it's just me down there, I'm caring less and less! Now I just need to work on the acoustics and HVAC because it gets pretty cold down there (and the dehumidifier is loud, too)!
post #1961 of 2003 Old 03-28-2019, 12:49 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
You could definitely integrate both using the controls on the amps for each subwoofer but you may get better results with more control. Do you have a microphone that you can use with REW to determine when you've reached the correct delay and other settings? With that, you should be able to get pretty good results just using the amp controls but it will take some work. Here's a link to an audio delay calculator (http://www.brightonsoundsystem.co.uk...udio-delay.php) that you can use as a rough estimate for setting the further sub's delay. From there you would keep taking measurements making minor changes to the subs. You'd could also do the same with the crossover unless you're using the preamp to manage the crossover point.

But if you wanted more control to get more optimal results with even just one subwoofer, I might recommend getting a MiniDSP 2x4HD or similar DSP, which would give you significantly improved control. And if you do buy a second subwoofer, a fantastic piece of software to help optimize them is offered by a talented and generous AVS member and it is called the Multi Subwoofer Optimizer (MSO). He gets a lot of support requests so it is highly recommended to thoroughly read the tutorials before asking questions.

https://www.andyc.diy-audio-engineering.org/mso/html/
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-s...optimizer.html

Let me know if you have any questions.

David
I’ve decided I’m just going to sell the G25HP. I plan on purchasing one of your 24SR’s as soon as I can get a few things in order. Any chance we could put a front panel of polished stainless steel on it? Maybe front and top? With chrome plated clamping pieces? I want this thing to grab your attention as soon as you walk into the room. I do have a WAF to deal with but she and I have similar tastes. I mean what wife wouldn’t want a massive chrome monolith with a huge black circle staring at them in the living room every day?
grtuck likes this.
post #1962 of 2003 Old 03-28-2019, 01:35 PM
Deep Sea Sound

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked: 1714
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianrozzano View Post
I’ve decided I’m just going to sell the G25HP. I plan on purchasing one of your 24SR’s as soon as I can get a few things in order. Any chance we could put a front panel of polished stainless steel on it? Maybe front and top? With chrome plated clamping pieces? I want this thing to grab your attention as soon as you walk into the room. I do have a WAF to deal with but she and I have similar tastes. I mean what wife wouldn’t want a massive chrome monolith with a huge black circle staring at them in the living room every day?
You want to defile one of our subs with chrome fiddle bits? How dare you?

Ha! Of course we can come up with that. We can go with the black maple in gloss, which should pop and then if you want a chrome or polished aluminum top plate, we can put a thin layer of rubber underneath to protect the finish underneath as well as to ensure no vibrations. And yes we can get the driver clamping me plated before the driver is assembled. I’ll work on coordinating the work prior to your order so that we can move forward quickly.

David Gage
Deep Sea Sound
"You don't listen to our subs, you EXPERIENCE them!"
post #1963 of 2003 Old 03-28-2019, 01:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Good choice!

Quote:

Ha! Of course we can come up with that. We can go with the black maple in gloss, which should pop and then if you want a chrome or polished aluminum top plate, we can put a thin layer of rubber underneath to protect the finish underneath as well as to ensure no vibrations. And yes we can get the driver clamping me plated before the driver is assembled. I’ll work on coordinating the work prior to your order so that we can move forward quickly.
Can't wait to see another custom finish of this product!

post #1964 of 2003 Old 03-28-2019, 04:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1464 Post(s)
Liked: 2830
Quote:

Sorry David if this has already been asked,,, but in the past i've seen some custom finishes posted i think earlier in this thread, however no (gallery) on your website, unless i missed it somewhere? It would be a nice touch to the DSS website to see some custom and standard finished product in a gallery page.

-Marantz SR-8012
-Yamaha BD-A1060
-Funk 21.0LX Master/Slave combo 4800 watts RMS/9600watts (peak)-
-Chane A-2.4 L/C/R
-Chane A-1.4 side/rear surrounds.
post #1965 of 2003 Old 03-28-2019, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indebtbassfreak View Post
Sorry David if this has already been asked,,, but in the past i've seen some custom finishes posted i think earlier in this thread, however no (gallery) on your website, unless i missed it somewhere? It would be a nice touch to the DSS website to see some custom and standard finished product in a gallery page.
I agree with this. It would be great to see a gallery of all the finishes you’ve done so far. Especially mine! Haha. I’ve never seen a subwoofer with polished metal and chrome trim. It would be a real eye catcher for your website!
post #1966 of 2003 Old 04-02-2019, 09:52 PM

Just wanted to say that I’ve been working with Dave to design the most badass subwoofer in the history of the universe. My home is modest, but it’s drenched in psychedelic beauty and shimmers in a luminous sheen. Intensely vivid laser lights reflect playfully over a multitude of glossy surfaces and fascinating textures. Outside, the entire home is ensconced in enchanting bamboo, which sways peacefully in the mild evening air, uplit with deep purple and green. It’s the culmination of years of creativity and hard work. When music is introduced into the space, it takes on a magical ambiance, and silky smooth bass fills it up with heavenly bliss. That’s with my old sub though. This new one I’m imagining will dramatically improve how we live, visually as well as audibly (tactiley too). I am looking forward to making this dreamer’s dream a reality. With David Gage as an ally I am confident we will achieve it!
post #1967 of 2003 Old 04-05-2019, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1208 Post(s)
Liked: 1006
I just finished up "Hunter Killer" and also watched "Aquaman" last weekend.

Talk about two movies that will give your subs a workout... WOW!?!

My Mariana 24 and 18 subs were working OT in both movies.
post #1968 of 2003 Old 04-05-2019, 08:28 PM
Deep Sea Sound

Stop lying. They were still coasting since you have 5 subs in a small room. But boy is it effortless and fun. I’ll need to get over there to hear the new JBLs since Chad calibrated them.
audiofan1 likes this.

David Gage
Deep Sea Sound
post #1969 of 2003 Old 05-01-2019, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Stop lying. They were still coasting since you have 5 subs in a small room. But boy is it effortless and fun. I’ll need to get over there to hear the new JBLs since Chad calibrated them.
Hey Dave, check your emails! Have you done any testing on those chrome feet? Let’s get an update man! With pics hopefully.
post #1970 of 2003 Old 05-05-2019, 11:17 AM
Deep Sea Sound

Quote:
Hey Dave, check your emails! Have you done any testing on those chrome feet? Let’s get an update man! With pics hopefully.
Sorry Ian, it has been one of those 2 week periods. Here's an update for you. I took the subwoofer driver to a friend who does tinting/wrapping and we put a chrome vinyl wrap on the cone of the driver with positive and negative results. The good news is the vinyl wrap seemed to adhere to the cone but since the cone has a textured surface, it didn't look good at all. We also looked at covering the dustcap, which is pretty smooth but the rounded shape can't be covered by vinyl since the chrome vinyl has no flexibility. So then I took the driver to a couple of painters and it was clear they weren't interested in doing the work since it would take longer to clean the equipment than actually paint the cone or dustcap. They also said the cone wouldn't look good since it wasn't smooth. So we might be able to get the dustcap painted chrome but not the cone. And we already discussed that the clamp pieces of the 24" could easily be chrome painted. I've reached out to Nick, my driver builder about getting some dustcaps painted but haven't been able to nail him down to details yet though I expect to this week. Regarding the building of a 24SR with squared corners, it isn't finished yet since we had some major issues to deal with and several orders to get out. We do have several 24SRs built (and painted) with rounded corners but not with the squared corners that we need to test the 7" feet on but we will get that done this week and tested for you. I expect it will be stable on those feet (picture attached so others know what we're talking about) but need to test thoroughly before we move forward as I wouldn't want the subwoofer to be unstable and potentially injure someone.

The issue we had is that both of our concrete veneering jigs broke (picture attached) presumably by a faulty air pressure valve. We had to use our old wood jig to get some orders out, which isn't nearly as efficient or reliable. We had to build replacement veneering jigs as we have a backup of subs to veneer (picture attached, which isn't all of them), partially for orders and partially to get high quality pictures of subs in our standard finishes. By the way, that concrete jig is about 9” thick with 4,000psi concrete. We usually run the fire hose at 25psitoput pressure gluing the veneer to the sub. Not sure what the faulty pressure valve actually ended up exposing the concrete veneer jig to but it cracked all the way through. By the way, there is a support that connects over the top to push the sub down and support both sides of the jig.

Also have an update on the inwall sub that I showed at the end of last year. Testing was very successful and I look forward to offering the IW-DUAL and IW-QUAD subs. I had some challenges getting enough stock to officially offer the subs and ended up having to place a pretty sizable order to ensure I had enough drivers. Dealing with Minimum Order Quantities (MOQ) is not fun and is quite expensive. I'm constantly reminded it takes money to make money but I expect it will be completely worth it. 4 12" subs powered by 2,400w in an enclosure that will fit in a standard 2x6 wall with 16" stud spacing will be a game changer in the inwall market.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stackedsubtoveneer.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	182.8 KB
ID:	2562668   Click image for larger version

Name:	feetforsub.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	2562670   Click image for larger version

Name:	brokenveneerjig.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	2562672  
ereed likes this.

David Gage
Deep Sea Sound

Last edited by dgage; 05-05-2019 at 02:37 PM.
post #1971 of 2003 Old 05-05-2019, 12:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Nice looking feet there! This whole time I thought this "chrome sub build" was just the box/cabinet and maybe grills. I wasn't expecting customer wanted the driver to be chromed. Regardless....I'm ready to see the finished product.

Sucks to hear about your veneer jig! Hope you get it back up and running soon.

post #1972 of 2003 Old 05-05-2019, 11:54 PM

Mentioned: 244 Post(s)
Quoted: 5528 Post(s)
Liked: 5076
Are you sure you don't want rounded corners. Or is square necessary to pull off this concept?
post #1973 of 2003 Old 05-05-2019, 11:57 PM

Mentioned: 244 Post(s)
Quoted: 5528 Post(s)
Liked: 5076
Quote:

Also have an update on the inwall sub that I showed at the end of last year. Testing was very successful and I look forward to offering the IW-DUAL and IW-QUAD subs. I had some challenges getting enough stock to officially offer the subs and ended up having to place a pretty sizable order to ensure I had enough drivers. Dealing with Minimum Order Quantities (MOQ) is not fun and is quite expensive. I'm constantly reminded it takes money to make money but I expect it will be completely worth it. 4 12" subs powered by 2,400w in an enclosure that will fit in a standard 2x6 wall with 16" stud spacing will be a game changer in the inwall market.
This is news to me. Exciting news! I agree re: game changer.
grtuck likes this.
post #1974 of 2003 Old 05-06-2019, 06:37 AM
Writer & Reviewer

Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Quoted: 2227 Post(s)
Liked: 3389
Quote:
Nice looking feet there!
Are we still talking about subwoofers or did I stumble into a fetish thread?
Frohlich and ereed like this.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite...
post #1975 of 2003 Old 05-06-2019, 06:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2056 Post(s)
Liked: 4147
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post
Yes.
post #1976 of 2003 Old 05-06-2019, 06:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 2060 Post(s)
Liked: 2275
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post
Rounded corners....sexy feet...we should get a moderator Jim and let them know!!!!!!
JimWilson and Molon_Labe like this.
post #1977 of 2003 Old 05-06-2019, 06:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 108 Post(s)
Quoted: 3443 Post(s)
Liked: 4136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post
Rounded corners....sexy feet...we should get a moderator Jim and let them know!!!!!!
Don't forget the 16" stud spacing David mentioned.
Frohlich and JimWilson like this.
post #1978 of 2003 Old 05-06-2019, 06:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molon_Labe View Post
Don't forget the 16" stud spacing David mentioned.
"deep" sea sound...its all coming together what David is really selling....this thread is filthy!!!!
ereed, JimWilson and drh3b like this.
post #1979 of 2003 Old 05-20-2019, 12:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm a few years late, but I officially joined the party last night. Ordered a couple of mariana 18S subs through David but don't need them until I move into my new house so it will be a couple of months before I asked him to take delivery. As always, David was a gentlemen and can't wait to see him work his magic and top notch craftsmanship.
dgage, COACH2369, femi and 1 others like this.
post #1980 of 2003 Old 05-20-2019, 09:59 PM
Deep Sea Sound

I had to order some heavy duty threaded inserts as I didn't like the standard threaded inserts available from my local supplier. With the heavy duty threaded inserts, the 7" feet were rock solid and the cabinet didn't move a bit when we were jamming in the warehouse. So it looks like there are no issues with the feet.

My driver builder knows a painter so he's going to drop some 18" and 24" dustcaps to be painted chrome along with the clamping pieces that go around the 24. So hopefully we'll have some pictures of a chrome accessorized driver soon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mariana24SR_On_Feet.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	383.8 KB
ID:	2569378  

David Gage
Deep Sea Sound
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers