ID Subwoofers by Pricepoint and Vendor - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 36Likes

post #31 of 64 Old 04-27-2015, 10:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 290 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3419 Post(s)
Liked: 4197
Quote:
Originally Posted by nalthien View Post
Yeah, I should do that. But, since the shipping costs vary, I didn't want to be unfair. Maybe it'd be better to simply note that you do have to pay for shipping with Hsu and Rythmik.
I think Hsu's shipping is the same for 48 states. ie the shipping for VTF15H-MK2 is $109 and VTF-3 MK5 is $89. So I think it is safe to include them in the total cost.

Rythmik's shipping is the same for 47 states, cheaper in Texas. So I think including the $142 max shipping in the cost for FV15 HP would reflect the total out of pocket cost for most folks here.
oneeyeblind and nalthien like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 64 Old 04-27-2015, 10:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 485 Post(s)
Liked: 537
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucky7 View Post
I think Hsu's shipping is the same for 48 states. ie the shipping for VTF15H-MK2 is $109 and VTF-3 MK5 is $89. So I think it is safe to include them in the total cost.

Rythmik's shipping is the same for 47 states, cheaper in Texas. So I think including the $142 max shipping in the cost for FV15 HP would reflect the total out of pocket cost for most folks here.
Yeah, to get the numbers right I'd need to go put each of the items into the cart and calculate shipping (since each item has its own associated cost).

Music: McIntosh C1100T/C | McIntosh MC452 | Revel Salon 2 | PSA S3000i x2 | VPI Traveler | Parasound ZDac | AppleTV
Movies Add: Marantz AV7702 | Revel Voice 2 | Emotiva UPA-1 | Sony Ps4 | Custom HTPC
Ordered: VPI Prime
post #33 of 64 Old 04-28-2015, 04:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1290 Post(s)
Liked: 823
Quote:
I'm arbitrary omitting price points; not omitting brands.

How high is "too high?" $8k? $10k? $25k? At some point, it becomes such a niche that it's not worth my time and energy to maintain.
I get that. but I think if you're including a pricepoint you should include the relevant subs (I appreciate you adding the Funk subs; I think the Outlaw audio x12 should be on the list). There certainly is "too high" price point and it'll be up to your gut feel to figure it out. It's probably fine to omit the deep sea subs currently. If there is a lot of action/talk in the deep sea thread, then it probably warrants a mention.

I agree it is a lot of work to maintain. It's why I think it should be clear when it is "up to date to". I certainly appreciate your efforts, and my suggestions are only aimed to get the thread "sticky" status.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 64 Old 04-28-2015, 05:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 2541 Post(s)
Liked: 2186
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucky7 View Post
Don't forget about paying tax if one lives in TX.
post #35 of 64 Old 04-28-2015, 01:06 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked: 476
Outlaw should definitely find their way on the list.
post #36 of 64 Old 04-28-2015, 01:20 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
I'm sure you're right.

What else competes in the $4,000 space though? Funk is the only ID name that comes to mind--even JTR and Seaton don't push above $3500 with their main products. I'm sure there are others that I'm not aware of.

If I expand the list to include a $4000 price point, I'll definitely add Deep Sea to the list.
You could say that a Seaton SubM Master/Slave setup competes at the $3500 to $4000+ space. I got mine (b-stock special) for just over $3500 shipped. And I would say it was the best thing going at that price point.

But I am biased ... and have not heard Funk, JTR or Deep Sea -- but am super satisfied with what I have.
post #37 of 64 Old 04-28-2015, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL D View Post
Outlaw should definitely find their way on the list.
I'll go ahead and add them. Like Funk and Seaton only touch the high end of the list, Outlaw, I expect, will only touch the low end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrill View Post
You could say that a Seaton SubM Master/Slave setup competes at the $3500 to $4000+ space. I got mine (b-stock special) for just over $3500 shipped. And I would say it was the best thing going at that price point.

But I am biased ... and have not heard Funk, JTR or Deep Sea -- but am super satisfied with what I have.
Yeah, I really need to go through and add dual configurations to the list since it's so common to recommend dual subwoofers.

Music: McIntosh C1100T/C | McIntosh MC452 | Revel Salon 2 | PSA S3000i x2 | VPI Traveler | Parasound ZDac | AppleTV
Movies Add: Marantz AV7702 | Revel Voice 2 | Emotiva UPA-1 | Sony Ps4 | Custom HTPC
post #38 of 64 Old 04-28-2015, 03:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 2505 Post(s)
Liked: 3916
Quote:
Yeah, I really need to go through and add dual configurations to the list since it's so common to recommend dual subwoofers.
If you do this, the main thing that would make sense would be special master/slave combos. Such as the Seaton Submersive master slave or the Reaction Audio PS-18X master slave. Since it isn't just XYZ subwoofer X 2.
post #39 of 64 Old 04-28-2015, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123 View Post
If you do this, the main thing that would make sense would be special master/slave combos. Such as the Seaton Submersive master slave or the Reaction Audio PS-18X master slave. Since it isn't just XYZ subwoofer X 2.
The only reason to include other duos is that vendors often give a discount for ordering multiple of the same subwoofer.

post #40 of 64 Old 04-28-2015, 04:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 2505 Post(s)
Liked: 3916
Quote:
The only reason to include other duos is that vendors often give a discount for ordering multiple of the same subwoofer.
They pretty much all do that though, so it's basically a standard dual sub discount(even though the % may vary).
post #41 of 64 Old 04-28-2015, 07:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 776 Post(s)
Liked: 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123 View Post
Funk Audio will also do a Master / Slave.

post #42 of 64 Old 04-28-2015, 08:20 PM
Deep Sea Sound

Mentioned: 219 Post(s)
Quoted: 1781 Post(s)
Liked: 1703
I just want to introduce myself since my new company has been mentioned. My name is David Gage and I recently attended Axpona and have started Deep Sea Sound. @COACH2369 has had a pair of my 24" subs in his room for about 3 months now after having replaced 4 dual-opposed SI HT18 (8 subs total) that took up way too much space around his room. Sounds like some great subs have been mentioned so you really can't go wrong with any of them. If you can make it up to The Show Newport, I'd love for you to stop by and introduce yourself and take a listen. The subs speak for themselves much better than I ever could. Since I've learned so much from AVSers, it is only fair that I give discounts to other AVSers so definitely contact me if you're interested. And I plan to have the website up in the next day or two so you'll be able to get more info and order online.

David
edgebsl and dsrussell like this.
post #43 of 64 Old 04-28-2015, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post
I just want to introduce myself since my new company has been mentioned. My name is David Gage and I recently attended Axpona and have started Deep Sea Sound. @COACH2369 has had a pair of my 24" subs in his room for about 3 months now after having replaced 4 dual-opposed SI HT18 (8 subs total) that took up way too much space around his room. Sounds like some great subs have been mentioned so you really can't go wrong with any of them. If you can make it up to The Show Newport, I'd love for you to stop by and introduce yourself and take a listen. The subs speak for themselves much better than I ever could. Since I've learned so much from AVSers, it is only fair that I give discounts to other AVSers so definitely contact me if you're interested. And I plan to have the website up in the next day or two so you'll be able to get more info and order online.

David
Hi David,

I've been following the Deep Sea thread with great interest and I do look forward to demoing your products! Unfortunately, I'm going to be on the East Coast during that event and I won't be able to make it down to SoCal (which sucks because when I learned about the show I was really excited).

I want to be very clear that the only reason I'm not including your product on the list at this point is the fact that it's over the price points covered by my list. If-and-when I add options at the $4k+ level, I will absolutely add your 24" monster to the list. That said, I believe I read in your thread that you're doing an 18" subwoofer as well for somewhat cheaper. If you can give me a model name, I'll definitely add to the list!

post #44 of 64 Old 04-28-2015, 08:33 PM
Deep Sea Sound

Quote:
Hi David,

I've been following the Deep Sea thread with great interest and I do look forward to demoing your products! Unfortunately, I'm going to be on the East Coast during that event and I won't be able to make it down to SoCal (which sucks because when I learned about the show I was really excited).

I want to be very clear that the only reason I'm not including your product on the list at this point is the fact that it's over the price points covered by my list. If-and-when I add options at the $4k+ level, I will absolutely add your 24" monster to the list. That said, I believe I read in your thread that you're doing an 18" subwoofer as well for somewhat cheaper. If you can give me a model name, I'll definitely add to the list!
No problem Nalthien, it's your list. I do appreciate you considering the 18". And I plan to attend the Capital Audiofest at the end of August, which will be in DC but my guess is you won't be on the East Coast then because that would be too easy.

Mariana 18S - $2,600
  • 18" driver (Stereo Integrity HST-18)
  • 4,000w SpeakerPower SP1-4000 amp
  • 19-100 Hz (sub-15 Hz typical in-room response)
  • Standard black oak or black maple veneer (custom veneer and other finishes optional)
  • 21.2" x 21.2" x 18" sealed enclosure
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mariana 18S_Small.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	142.2 KB
ID:	692218  

Last edited by dgage; 04-28-2015 at 08:50 PM. Reason: Adding the picture
post #45 of 64 Old 04-28-2015, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Updated the list to include the Deep Sea Sound Mariana 18s.

Unfortunately, no, I won't be on the east coast in August. Where's your HQ? If you're out west, I'd love to come visit and see (and hear) the 24" beast myself!

post #46 of 64 Old 04-28-2015, 08:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 776 Post(s)
Liked: 418
Nalthien, by the way. Nice job with this. This should help out some people that are new to ID subs, like I was about 6 months ago and never heard of any of these names besides SVS, which was on a advertisement somewhere. I know this work takes quite a bit of your time. Its going to be very appreciated.

post #47 of 64 Old 04-28-2015, 08:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm going through this evening and modifying the list. Each product will only persist through 3 price points. Beyond that, I'll remove it. It should help keep noise to a minimum.

post #48 of 64 Old 04-28-2015, 08:53 PM
Deep Sea Sound

Quote:
Updated the list to include the Deep Sea Sound Mariana 18s.

Unfortunately, no, I won't be on the east coast in August. Where's your HQ? If you're out west, I'd love to come visit and see (and hear) the 24" beast myself!
Thanks Nalthien. I updated my previous post with a picture. The sub comes with a round grill that sits flush in the center of the front face. It makes a big difference, especially on the 24 NOT to see a solid plane of grill cloth.

I'm out of Knoxville, TN.
post #49 of 64 Old 04-28-2015, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post
I'm out of Knoxville, TN.
Good ole, Rocky Top. Go big orange!

I'm a Georgia Tech alum, myself; but, one of my best friends and former roommate lives and breathes UT football. GT will always be number 1; but, I can sing Rocky Top with the best of 'em!
dgage likes this.

post #50 of 64 Old 04-28-2015, 09:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I've got several more updates this evening:
  • Added Outlaw Audio
  • Edited the list so that each subwoofer can appear a maximum of 4 times. After 4 appearances, it is simply removed from the list. In all honesty, a $1000 subwoofer doesn't really compete with a $3000 subwoofer.

post #51 of 64 Old 04-28-2015, 09:14 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
One of the most commonly asked questions around AVS is, "What subwoofer should I buy given that my budget is X?" Everyone has their thoughts and opinions; however, this is a question that we shouldn't need to answer over-and-over--especially when the real question people want to ask is: What subwoofers are available at my budget?

The answer is actually simple; so, I've made a Google Doc to share with folks. Rather than providing any particular suggestions, it simply shows you the best available option from several ID subwoofer vendors at various price points. I like to think of it as: If your budget is X, these are the subwoofers you should be researching.

Best Available ID Subwoofers by Pricepoint and Vendor

Last Updated: 4/28/2015

A couple of quick notes:
  • This list covers only the 9 most common brands suggested on AVS: SVS, PSA, Reaction, Hsu, Rythmik, Seaton, JTR, Funk Audio, and Deep Sea Sound
  • The order of the vendors listed should not be read into; it was simply the order of the tabs in my browser when I made the sheet.
  • This list covers single subwoofers only; it would be a lot more useful if it had dual configurations; but, I don't have time right now.
Would it benefit new members to add high end subwoofers to this list? When is the last time a new member created a thread asking for advice with a 3-4k budget? Usually new members are just getting their feet wet into the subwoofer world, prior experience is limited and motivation to spend 3-4k on a subwoofer has not developed. Adding deep sea and higher end models probably will not benefit the target audience for this list.
post #52 of 64 Old 04-29-2015, 09:03 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepat04 View Post
Would it benefit new members to add high end subwoofers to this list? When is the last time a new member created a thread asking for advice with a 3-4k budget? Usually new members are just getting their feet wet into the subwoofer world, prior experience is limited and motivation to spend 3-4k on a subwoofer has not developed. Adding deep sea and higher end models probably will not benefit the target audience for this list.
You'd be surprised. Plenty of new members come here asking if they should buy a JL Fathom or a Velodyne DD series. It's not as common as the cheap skates, but they do happen. Those guys definitely should see the higher tier products on the list.
madhuski likes this.
post #53 of 64 Old 04-29-2015, 01:15 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Good ole, Rocky Top. Go big orange!

I'm a Georgia Tech alum, myself; but, one of my best friends and former roommate lives and breathes UT football. GT will always be number 1; but, I can sing Rocky Top with the best of 'em!
Off Topic: Mizzou's gonna eat up the Vols (again) this year ...

Edit: to be on topic ... I have to say thanks to the OP for making this list.

Last edited by Skrill; 04-29-2015 at 01:20 PM.
post #54 of 64 Old 04-29-2015, 01:47 PM
Deep Sea Sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrill View Post
Off Topic: Mizzou's gonna eat up the Vols (again) this year ...

Edit: to be on topic ... I have to say thanks to the OP for making this list.
Off Topic - Those are fighting words...just for that, you will be subjected to an extensive pummeling by bass transducer at the Capital Audiofest!

On Topic - I really like the layout of the list as well...pretty innovative to have the color coding/staging.

And I will say I was one of the ones that came on this board a few years ago to get an upper end subwoofer...but I got bit by the DIY bug...and then it got worse. This forum is dangerous...I recommend everyone stop reading immediately or your wallet with suffer greatly.
dsrussell likes this.
post #55 of 64 Old 05-07-2015, 03:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2263 Post(s)
Liked: 3109
This is a great compilation. Thanks, nalthien! It is going to save people a lot of time and will give people a good idea of what to look for in different price ranges. Heaven knows I spend way too much time going from website to website to see what's new and what's available.
nalthien likes this.

Music area: Magnepan 3.6, McIntosh MC2205 amp & C48 preamp, SVS SB13-Ultra, Oppo BDP 95, dbx 3BX, and assorted equipment.
Movie area: EMP Tek E5Bi (were rebadged to R5Bi), RBH/EMP Tek R55Ti, PSA S3000i, Denon X2000, Oppo BDP 83.
post #56 of 64 Old 05-07-2015, 03:24 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 557 Post(s)
Liked: 187
No love for PSA XS15se and Hsu VTF3-MK5?
post #57 of 64 Old 05-07-2015, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinhvo View Post
No love for PSA XS15se and Hsu VTF3-MK5?
There's nothing wrong with those products. It's simply the "best available at a certain price point." Had I chosen different price levels, those would have been included.

post #58 of 64 Old 07-17-2015, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Updated with the latest offerings from all of the vendors including:

PSA V1800
PSA V3600i
Reaction Audio Echo 18 XL

post #59 of 64 Old 07-17-2015, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Also, I'm setting the doc to allow people to propose edits--so if there's anything else out of date, please feel free to submit updates!

post #60 of 64 Old 07-19-2015, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Updated with the new Hsu ULS-15 Mk 2

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page