Klipsch 12" Subwoofer / Thoughts? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8Likes
  • 1 Post By MIX_MASTER_ICE
  • 2 Post By eljaycanuck
  • 1 Post By redrovermiami
  • 1 Post By areeb319
  • 1 Post By MIX_MASTER_ICE
  • 1 Post By MIX_MASTER_ICE
  • 1 Post By MIX_MASTER_ICE
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 08-13-2015, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Lobo44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Dallas Texas
Posts: 199
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Klipsch 12" Subwoofer / Thoughts?

I am broke and cannot afford a higher end subwoofer. I am well aware that there are many better subs than the one I am going to ask about BUT I need some thoughts o this one. I already have a sub and am using this one to fill a gap in a large room and this one fits the bill due to the size and price.

Klipsch Synergy KSW12 12-Inch Powered Subwoofer

Its a downward firing model and we have a carpeted cement slab so I am not sure what the performance will be.


Frequency Response: 26Hz-100Hz(+-)3dB SENSITIVITY: 113dB SPL 1/8 space, 1 meter POWER HANDLING: FTC Rated Power: 105 watts continuous,
22-100Hz @ ≤ 1% THD
Dynamic Power*: 440 watts @ ≤ 1% THD
*Dynamic power indicates the actual power this amplifier will deliver to the woofer under normal operating conditions AMPLIFIER: Class A/B discrete MOSFET outputs WOOFER: K-1071-K 12" (30.5cm) down-firing fiber-composite cone LOW PASS CROSSOVER: Continuously variable from 40-120Hz, 24dB/octave slope above 120Hz ENCLOSURE MATERIAL: MDF ENCLOSURE TYPE: Bass reflex via rear-mounted port INPUTS: 2) Line level/LFE RCA phono jacks and 2) High level speaker terminals OUTPUTS: 2) High level speaker terminals, high pass filtered at 100Hz, 6dB/octave slope AUTO POWER ON: 2 second ON delay, 15 minute OFF delay DIMENSIONS: 17" (43.18cm) x 15" (38.1cm) x 15" (38.1cm) WEIGHT: 35 lbs. (15.9kg) FINISHES: Matte-finish Black vinyl PHASE: Switchable 0 or 180 degrees VOLTAGE: 110/120 VAC/60Hz EXPORT VOLTAGE: 230 VAC 50/60Hz

Will this one be too weak to produce much bass or with the assistance of another powered sub will it be okay? The room size is 15x20x10h

Thanks

Denon 4520CI / HK AVR-80:HK ADP303 AC-3
Klipsch SW15-II Sub / Klipsch Sub-12
Klipsch 2.1 Bookshelf
Klipsch 3650C Surround
Energy RVS Center
Samsung LN46A650A1F
Lobo44 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 24 Old 08-13-2015, 11:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MIX_MASTER_ICE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 5,086
Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2678 Post(s)
Liked: 2493
Pass on this one. What price is it? You can get the Klipsch sub-12 for $199 on sale often at frys.com. It's better than the KSW12.
MIX_MASTER_ICE is offline  
post #3 of 24 Old 08-13-2015, 11:55 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
eljaycanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 10,528
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2165 Post(s)
Liked: 3151
3000 cu.ft. is a large space. Personally, I wouldn't go with anything less than an SVS PB-1000. (Until I had enough money to add a second one.)
eljaycanuck is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 24 Old 08-13-2015, 12:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MIX_MASTER_ICE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 5,086
Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2678 Post(s)
Liked: 2493
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck View Post
3000 cu.ft. is a large space. Personally, I wouldn't go with anything less than an SVS PB-1000. (Until I had enough money to add a second one.)
The poor guy is broke and you are suggesting $500 for openers. How cruel. I ran the Klipsch sub-12 by itself in a 2700ft^3 room and it did pretty well by itself. For those on a strict budget, $199 for the sub-12 is the best choice to maximize their return.
Clayj17 likes this.
MIX_MASTER_ICE is offline  
post #5 of 24 Old 08-13-2015, 12:10 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
eljaycanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 10,528
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2165 Post(s)
Liked: 3151
Well, I'm not telling him what he should do, only what I would do.

I agree that the Sub-12 @ $199 is a solid choice.
MIX_MASTER_ICE and Clayj17 like this.
eljaycanuck is offline  
post #6 of 24 Old 08-13-2015, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Lobo44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Dallas Texas
Posts: 199
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 38
or would this be a better option?

BIC Formula F-12 12" Subwoofer 475 Watts

Denon 4520CI / HK AVR-80:HK ADP303 AC-3
Klipsch SW15-II Sub / Klipsch Sub-12
Klipsch 2.1 Bookshelf
Klipsch 3650C Surround
Energy RVS Center
Samsung LN46A650A1F
Lobo44 is offline  
post #7 of 24 Old 08-13-2015, 12:22 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
eljaycanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 10,528
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2165 Post(s)
Liked: 3151
The F-12 is rated at 150W continuous / 475W dynamic vs. the Sub-12's 300W continuous / 650W dynamic. I'd take the Sub-12 over the F-12.
eljaycanuck is offline  
post #8 of 24 Old 08-13-2015, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Lobo44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Dallas Texas
Posts: 199
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIX_MASTER_ICE View Post
Pass on this one. What price is it? You can get the Klipsch sub-12 for $199 on sale often at frys.com. It's better than the KSW12.
I must miss the sales where they take $100 off?
http://www.frys.com/product/7580936?...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Denon 4520CI / HK AVR-80:HK ADP303 AC-3
Klipsch SW15-II Sub / Klipsch Sub-12
Klipsch 2.1 Bookshelf
Klipsch 3650C Surround
Energy RVS Center
Samsung LN46A650A1F
Lobo44 is offline  
post #9 of 24 Old 08-13-2015, 12:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MIX_MASTER_ICE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 5,086
Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2678 Post(s)
Liked: 2493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobo44 View Post
I must miss the sales where they take $100 off?
http://www.frys.com/product/7580936?...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG
It was actually on sale just yesterday. It goes on sale often, so it won't be long before it's on sale again. Get on the frys.com emailed code list. They have sales and codes sent out every day.
MIX_MASTER_ICE is offline  
post #10 of 24 Old 08-23-2015, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Lobo44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Dallas Texas
Posts: 199
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIX_MASTER_ICE View Post
It was actually on sale just yesterday. It goes on sale often, so it won't be long before it's on sale again. Get on the frys.com emailed code list. They have sales and codes sent out every day.
I think this is going to take a while, if ever, for Frys to have a sale on just this one sub. Are there other choices in and or around the $300 dollar range? Eventually I will upgrade everything but not today and I cannot work the price upwards anymore than $300. I have been checking Craigslist but for me it is always hit or miss using that method and many of the deals are sketchy and/or the area they are in I am not going to.

Denon 4520CI / HK AVR-80:HK ADP303 AC-3
Klipsch SW15-II Sub / Klipsch Sub-12
Klipsch 2.1 Bookshelf
Klipsch 3650C Surround
Energy RVS Center
Samsung LN46A650A1F
Lobo44 is offline  
post #11 of 24 Old 08-23-2015, 01:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MIX_MASTER_ICE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 5,086
Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2678 Post(s)
Liked: 2493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobo44 View Post
I think this is going to take a while, if ever, for Frys to have a sale on just this one sub. Are there other choices in and or around the $300 dollar range? Eventually I will upgrade everything but not today and I cannot work the price upwards anymore than $300. I have been checking Craigslist but for me it is always hit or miss using that method and many of the deals are sketchy and/or the area they are in I am not going to.

The Klipsch sub-12 was on sale all last week at frys.com and amazon.com. Literally just ended today. How you missed it is crazy. Anyway, it will be on sale again soon, as it seems to be on sale 2-3 times a month minimum. Now the NXG NX-BAS-500 is on sale at newegg.com for $159. It's a very good performing budget sub, but there have been some issues with some of them lately. This is a closeout price.

Last edited by MIX_MASTER_ICE; 08-23-2015 at 01:16 PM.
MIX_MASTER_ICE is offline  
post #12 of 24 Old 08-23-2015, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Lobo44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Dallas Texas
Posts: 199
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIX_MASTER_ICE View Post
The Klipsch sub-12 was on sale all last week at frys.com and amazon.com. Literally just ended today. How you missed it is crazy. Anyway, it will be on sale again soon, as it seems to be on sale 2-3 times a month minimum. Now the NXG NX-BAS-500 is on sale at newegg.com for $159. It's a very good performing budget sub, but there have been some issues with some of them lately. This is a closeout price.
I looked back at every single sale day at Frys from the time that you first mentioed their sales. Each time I go to their audio sales and it is never listed. Maybe my store doesn't carry it? But it is NOT there. They had a different Klipsch sub on sale down to $250 but it was the lower powered Reference sub.

If you have a link to it I would love to see what you're seeing. Otherwise are you running me in circles?lol If it ends today then I will buy it today if my store(s) have it so send me the link and or code

Denon 4520CI / HK AVR-80:HK ADP303 AC-3
Klipsch SW15-II Sub / Klipsch Sub-12
Klipsch 2.1 Bookshelf
Klipsch 3650C Surround
Energy RVS Center
Samsung LN46A650A1F
Lobo44 is offline  
post #13 of 24 Old 08-23-2015, 02:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MIX_MASTER_ICE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 5,086
Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2678 Post(s)
Liked: 2493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobo44 View Post
I looked back at every single sale day at Frys from the time that you first mentioed their sales. Each time I go to their audio sales and it is never listed. Maybe my store doesn't carry it? But it is NOT there. They had a different Klipsch sub on sale down to $250 but it was the lower powered Reference sub.

If you have a link to it I would love to see what you're seeing. Otherwise are you running me in circles?lol If it ends today then I will buy it today if my store(s) have it so send me the link and or code
lol...no, I'm not running you in circles. The Klipsch sub-12 was on sale starting last Sunday through Saturday (yesterday). Frys didn't have it listed in their ads, but it was on sale on their site all week. Amazon had it all week for $199, as well. I even mentioned it in the budget sub thread being on sale back on 8/17. You have to pay attention, dude. You snooze, you lose! https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-su...0-less-54.html
MIX_MASTER_ICE is offline  
post #14 of 24 Old 08-23-2015, 03:23 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 182
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIX_MASTER_ICE View Post
The Klipsch sub-12 was on sale all last week at frys.com and amazon.com. Literally just ended today. How you missed it is crazy. Anyway, it will be on sale again soon, as it seems to be on sale 2-3 times a month minimum. Now the NXG NX-BAS-500 is on sale at newegg.com for $159. It's a very good performing budget sub, but there have been some issues with some of them lately. This is a closeout price.
Caveat emptor on this one. Read many bad reviews on this sub before i started searching for a sub. Albeit it might be a great deal, might be a PITA to return when it goes bad and stuff.


Quote:
Originally Posted by MIX_MASTER_ICE View Post
lol...no, I'm not running you in circles. The Klipsch sub-12 was on sale starting last Sunday through Saturday (yesterday). Frys didn't have it listed in their ads, but it was on sale on their site all week. Amazon had it all week for $199, as well. I even mentioned it in the budget sub thread being on sale back on 8/17. You have to pay attention, dude. You snooze, you lose! https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-su...0-less-54.html
@MIX_MASTER_ICE steered me to the sub-12 I originally got one 2 weeks ago for $229 was on sale all this past week for $199. Called Frys got $30 back on my card. @MIX_MASTER_ICE knows his stuff been helping me for a few weeks pick out a sub. I did pick up an svs-pb1000 for 449 in the outlet so Im sending the sub-12 back now. BTW he was right the sub-12 was on sale for 229 then 199 Im sure it will go back on sale again...if you can wait

The people on this forum are great in suggesting advising and helping out!!!
Thanks @MIX_MASTER_ICE
MIX_MASTER_ICE likes this.
redrovermiami is offline  
post #15 of 24 Old 08-23-2015, 05:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MIX_MASTER_ICE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 5,086
Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2678 Post(s)
Liked: 2493
Glad I could help out, redrovermiami. There are several guys on this forum that are very helpful and knowledgeable, more so than myself. I also appreciate all those who help out and give their personal experience with various aspects of subwoofers.
MIX_MASTER_ICE is offline  
post #16 of 24 Old 08-23-2015, 05:39 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 67
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 2
How does the Klipsch 12HG compare to the Dayton Sub-1500 i have?
Lobo44 likes this.
areeb319 is offline  
post #17 of 24 Old 08-23-2015, 05:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MIX_MASTER_ICE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 5,086
Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2678 Post(s)
Liked: 2493
Quote:
Originally Posted by areeb319 View Post
How does the Klipsch 12HG compare to the Dayton Sub-1500 i have?
I would personally take the Klipsch sub-12 over the Dayton sub-1500 and I've owned both. The Klipsch is more powerful, has more output and just sounds better overall. The Dayton sub-1200 was actually a little better than the sub-1500 to me. Seemed a bit tighter and had didn't really have any real noticeable decrease in output. 150w isn't much of an amp to be powering a 15" driver.
Lobo44 likes this.
MIX_MASTER_ICE is offline  
post #18 of 24 Old 08-26-2015, 02:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MIX_MASTER_ICE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 5,086
Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2678 Post(s)
Liked: 2493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobo44 View Post
I looked back at every single sale day at Frys from the time that you first mentioed their sales. Each time I go to their audio sales and it is never listed. Maybe my store doesn't carry it? But it is NOT there. They had a different Klipsch sub on sale down to $250 but it was the lower powered Reference sub.

If you have a link to it I would love to see what you're seeing. Otherwise are you running me in circles?lol If it ends today then I will buy it today if my store(s) have it so send me the link and or code
Okay, here's your chance, Lobo44. Frys.com has the Klipsch sub-12 on sale today for $199 w/promo code. Check your email and get your code. $199 price is for today only, but if for some reason you miss this again, just wait a week or two and it will be on sale again.
Lobo44 likes this.
MIX_MASTER_ICE is offline  
post #19 of 24 Old 08-26-2015, 02:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Defcon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 3,232
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1828 Post(s)
Liked: 1123
Thanks foe the heads up man, I also might pick up this sub and I have the promo code in my email. Now I need to do research on this sub since I haven't heard much about it.

My current sub is a old SVS cylinder sub which I realize is very good (it has a 320W RMS BASH amp I think). How much better than the Klipsch would you say it is? I'm asking because I wanted to add a 2nd sub and this looks like an affordable option.
Defcon is offline  
post #20 of 24 Old 08-26-2015, 08:35 AM
Senior Member
 
COZisBack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Pickerington, Ohio
Posts: 220
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIX_MASTER_ICE View Post
Pass on this one. What price is it? You can get the Klipsch sub-12 for $199 on sale often at frys.com. It's better than the KSW12.
Sub-12 is definitely in my running considerations for my new setup.
COZisBack is offline  
post #21 of 24 Old 08-26-2015, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Lobo44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Dallas Texas
Posts: 199
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIX_MASTER_ICE View Post
Okay, here's your chance, Lobo44. Frys.com has the Klipsch sub-12 on sale today for $199 w/promo code. Check your email and get your code. $199 price is for today only, but if for some reason you miss this again, just wait a week or two and it will be on sale again.
Thanks! I just logged into everything to find this out. Apparently I didn't have an account set up which is separate from the email deal. Soooo Frys server will not send me a return on the account confirmation so I cannot buy it. I will wait until 11pm so if they don't return my email I am screwed. I'll look elsewhere after this since I am not going to be trapped into looking for the deal every day.

Denon 4520CI / HK AVR-80:HK ADP303 AC-3
Klipsch SW15-II Sub / Klipsch Sub-12
Klipsch 2.1 Bookshelf
Klipsch 3650C Surround
Energy RVS Center
Samsung LN46A650A1F
Lobo44 is offline  
post #22 of 24 Old 08-26-2015, 05:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MIX_MASTER_ICE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 5,086
Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2678 Post(s)
Liked: 2493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobo44 View Post
Thanks! I just logged into everything to find this out. Apparently I didn't have an account set up which is separate from the email deal. Soooo Frys server will not send me a return on the account confirmation so I cannot buy it. I will wait until 11pm so if they don't return my email I am screwed. I'll look elsewhere after this since I am not going to be trapped into looking for the deal every day.
Lobo44, check your PM. I just sent you a promo code for frys.com so you can finally get this sub.
Lobo44 likes this.
MIX_MASTER_ICE is offline  
post #23 of 24 Old 08-26-2015, 06:13 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 182
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 11
lol if not he can buy mine before I sent it back
redrovermiami is offline  
post #24 of 24 Old 08-26-2015, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Lobo44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Dallas Texas
Posts: 199
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIX_MASTER_ICE View Post
Lobo44, check your PM. I just sent you a promo code for frys.com so you can finally get this sub.
Finally got it to go through! Thanks for the PM but I was able to get it to take my card and info after figuring out their log in lol. Now the wait for free delivery and will have to figure out how to wire this thing.

Now I'll need a wireless feed to this or I am going to have to do some serious wiring to hook this up. Never have had 2 subs at once.

Denon 4520CI / HK AVR-80:HK ADP303 AC-3
Klipsch SW15-II Sub / Klipsch Sub-12
Klipsch 2.1 Bookshelf
Klipsch 3650C Surround
Energy RVS Center
Samsung LN46A650A1F

Last edited by Lobo44; 08-26-2015 at 06:57 PM.
Lobo44 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off