JTR 218HT 18Hz Dual 18" Most bang for buck! - Page 13 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 401Likes

post #361 of 386 Old 10-07-2016, 06:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2223 Post(s)
Liked: 2328
Ya, just redefine gravity.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 386 Old 10-07-2016, 06:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked: 984
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus33 View Post
You teach Jeff how to bend the laws of physics and make this size driver fit and work properly in a 9" deep enclosure, and I'm sure he would make you one.

Just mount it magnet side out lol JK I know with the smarts Jeff has the sky (and physics) are the limit and he already does well enough with his current designs. I love to see out of the box thinking too.

Really I was just making conversation. Im intruiged by Alcons and Quested. They have some really cool engineering. Ive also had a bit too much rum

JBL Pro Cinema/JTR/JVC/Denon/Oppo/Roku Ultra/Elite Screens/Furman/Seatcraft/Acoustimac/AudioQuest
post #363 of 386 Old 10-07-2016, 07:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjackkrash View Post

Ya just change the international constant of the universe. Nothing big lol. Or just wear Lavar Burtons glasses they gotta contain some kinda wisdom we can use in A/V. Prolly just Reading Rainbow books.

JBL Pro Cinema/JTR/JVC/Denon/Oppo/Roku Ultra/Elite Screens/Furman/Seatcraft/Acoustimac/AudioQuest
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #364 of 386 Old 10-07-2016, 07:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You teach Jeff how to bend the laws of physics and make this size driver fit and work properly in a 9" deep enclosure, and I'm sure he would make you one.

Isnt that used in the Cap4000 or am I mistaken?

post #365 of 386 Old 10-07-2016, 07:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1781 Post(s)
Liked: 1764
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddig View Post

It's the Cap 1400 driver (and the S1 and S2). I thought that's the sub you meant when you said "dual caps". IIRC, the 4000 driver is very similar dimensions, but it is modified and different than the 1400 driver.

Quote:
Dual caps would do nicely tho and I'd prefer them.

Last edited by zeus33; 10-07-2016 at 07:42 PM.
post #366 of 386 Old 10-07-2016, 08:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:

It's the Cap 1400 driver (and the S1 and S2). I thought that's the sub you meant when you said "dual caps". IIRC, the 4000 driver is very similar dimensions, but it is modified and different than the 1400 driver.

Quote:
Dual caps would do nicely tho and I'd prefer them.
Cool thanks yes I was talking the cap1400. This is partially a stupid question as I think I already know the answer. Ive read a few graphs about the different Captivator drivers and driver models with much enthusiasm along with members testimony. Seems like just what the doc ordered to match my mains and goals of a system that can play cleanly at near reference give or take a db.

I notice a high turn around on JTR gear. Its always for sale but I don't see this as a bad sign. My guess is the JTR owners/fans want to keep experiencing the next best design and need to unload old gear for space and new kit $$$ and dealing with Jeff sounds like a good experience too.

I use JBL Pro 3677 mains and 8340a surrounds and they are at ease at cinema reference level or a bit more. I prefer to listen around -20 to-10 depending on the movie and if wifes in bed but from time time I like to unleash them a bit. More like most weekends my wife has to travel.

My PSA subs are dual XV-15se's, and before my new mains and surrounds were finally saved up for and ordered, I had less then 2k to buy dual active subs that could do my mains justice so I looked into PSA. I felt they might be a good choice considering that the feedback from the owner and along with his
knowledge and dozens of testimony gave me confidence in his thinkings and should be sound. Was told that I would have no problem with dual XV15se subs in my theater and with the JBLs, if anything,THEY couldn't keep up with the JBLs. UGH!! Needless to say they were wrong in their assumptions. Bass quits increasing in volume around 3-5db under reference in my system. AKA an increase in 1 db on the volume pot no longer translates to an actual 1 db increase. Its fortunatly 5db under the loudest i would ever listen except to impress guests who want to experience its limits. My best results come from setting each PSA sub at 75db and when summed balanced and calibrated, I gained 5db. In a perfect world adding another sub along with adding double power gets you 6db is that correct? This is the only way I can conserve enough dynamic headroom to match up to the cinema JBLs. The funny thing is is that I actually really like them and they get very near my goal. Although im not in the market im sure I will be again at some point so i want to plan.

I hate asking any more from PSA cause I feel like the info may not be correct. A loss of confidence. I do know that Mark or Jeff are the complete opposite of this and can be trusted and I already have passively through all the knowledge they leave on the forums and share. Passion speaks volumes.

So Mr. JTR sir or any other dude that cares to weigh in on this I have question that I feel few could answer (thanks zuess) but I must plan in the future to know for sure the capabilities before committing to yet another set of subs. In my dedicated basement 22x13.4x7 theater thats deaded and treated, would a pair of Cap1400s match up to the volume and dynamic headroom of my JBLs? Would a beefier model be a better choice. Im am not one to chase louder and louder bass as I did that from age 13- 25 only to realise that it can be and endless road but my next dual sub purchase will be my last and I need to know. What would you do if you had a system like mine? Will Cap1400s have to stress at any point at reference like levels? I know its not a perfect science and my room needs checked for what modes it possess and such but just generally with the 2 cap1400s play at those levels even when low end is boosted?

I have gone thru 4 extra subs from HSU alone and his answer would be jokingly but would say "my subs perfect volume, anything more is too much. It happened with HSU and with PSA tho in same maner.Very tired of incompetent workers who don't got the jewels to just admit Im not sure about that insteadd of bs. I have so many powered subs laying around that I shld sell. that another story. Dr. HSU did his thing and I believe the PSA gentlemen was part of SVS but I am not clear on Marks history. Anyway I guess they either underestimated my speakers capabilities by a mile. My best guess is that they just told me what I wanted to hear to get a sale as they themselves don't know. Im just guessing. Just hate how you can go out of your way to avoid a problem only to
get exactly the opposite of what was described. I had a family death at that time of purchase and I could not find time to box and return them before the deadline. Or I would have gotten a beefier design. I still do like them tho as they have a fun like tone to them thats less woofer and more speaker. I could live with them for many years.

But I already am planing my next subs purchase as my income does not allow affluent spendiing. A man can wish lol.

Thanks Jeff in advance and to all that takes the time to read and give an opinion.

Last edited by Reddig; 11-04-2016 at 10:29 PM. Reason: Typo
post #367 of 386 Old 10-08-2016, 11:59 AM
AVS ***** Member

Mentioned: 324 Post(s)
Quoted: 5376 Post(s)
Liked: 10050
Quote:
Cool thanks yes I was talking the cap1400. This is partially a stupid question as I think I already know the answer. Ive read a few graphs about the different Captivator drivers and driver models with much enthusiasm along with members testimony. Seems like just what the doc ordered to match my mains and goals of a system that can play cleanly at near reference give or take a db.

I notice a high turn around on JTR gear. Its always for sale but I don't see this as a bad sign. My guess is the JTR owners/fans want to keep experiencing the next best design and need to unload old gear for space and new kit $$$ and dealing with Jeff sounds like a good experience too.

I use JBL Pro 3677 mains and 8340a surrounds and they are at ease at cinema reference level or a bit more. I prefer to listen around -20 to-10 depending on the movie and if wifes in bed but from time time I like to unleash them a bit. More like most weekends my wife has to travel.

My PSA subs are dual XV-15se's, and before my new mains and surrounds were finally saved up for and ordered, I had less then 2k to buy dual active subs that could do my mains justice so I looked into PSA. I felt they might be a good choice considering that the feedback from the owner and along with his
knowledge and dozens of testimony gave me confidence in his thinkings and should be sound. Was told that I would have no problem with dual XV15se subs in my theater and with the JBLs, if anything,THEY couldn't keep up with the PSA's. UGH!! Needless to say they were wrong in their assumptions. Bass quits increasing in volume around 3-5db under reference in my system. AKA an increase in 1 db on the volume pot no longer translates to an actual 1 db increase. Its fortunatly 5db under the loudest i would ever listen except to impress guests who want to experience its limits. My best results come from setting each PSA sub at 75db and when summed balanced and calibrated, I gained 5db. In a perfect world adding another sub along with adding double power gets you 6db is that correct? This is the only way I can conserve enough dynamic headroom to match up to the cinema JBLs. The funny thing is is that I actually really like them and they get very near my goal. Although im not in the market im sure I will be again at some point so i want to plan.

I hate asking any more from PSA cause I feel like the info may not be correct. A loss of confidence. I do know that Mark or Jeff are the complete opposite of this and can be trusted and I already have passively through all the knowledge they leave on the forums and share. Passion speaks volumes.

So Mr. JTR sir or any other dude that cares to weigh in on this I have question that I feel few could answer (thanks zuess) but I must plan in the future to know for sure the capabilities before committing to yet another set of subs. In my dedicated basement 22x13.4x7 theater thats deaded and treated, would a pair of Cap1400s match up to the volume and dynamic headroom of my JBLs? Would a beefier model be a better choice. Im am not one to chase louder and louder bass as I did that from age 13- 25 only to realise that it can be and endless road but my next dual sub purchase will be my last and I need to know. What would you do if you had a system like mine? Will Cap1400s have to stress at any point at reference like levels? I know its not a perfect science and my room needs checked for what modes it possess and such but just generally with the 2 cap1400s play at those levels even when low end is boosted?

I have gone thru 4 extra subs from HSU alone and his answer would be jokingly but would say "my subs perfect volume, anything more is too much. It happened with HSU and with PSA tho in same maner.Very tired of incompetent workers who don't got the jewels to just admit Im not sure about that insteadd of bs. I have so many powered subs laying around that I shld sell. that another story. Dr. HSU did his thing and I believe the PSA gentlemen was part of SVS but I am not clear on Marks history. Anyway I guess they either underestimated my speakers capabilities by a mile. My best guess is that they just told me what I wanted to hear to get a sale as they themselves don't know. Im just guessing. Just hate how you can go out of your way to avoid a problem only to
get exactly the opposite of what was described. I had a family death at that time of purchase and I could not find time to box and return them before the deadline. Or I would have gotten a beefier design. I still do like them tho as they have a fun like tone to them thats less woofer and more speaker. I could live with them for many years.

But I already am planing my next subs purchase as my income does not allow affluent spendiing. A man can wish lol.

Thanks Jeff in advance and to all that takes the time to read and give an opinion.
Hi,

I have several thoughts on this. First, I'm sorry that your previous experiences in buying subs didn't work out well. Without wishing to defend Tom (I don't own any PSA products) it can be difficult to accurately predict what will satisfy someone in a given room. And, even though the 2100^3 room is not especially large, a lot depends on how much bass boost you like as you try to decide what will work at Reference volumes.

FWIW, in addition to other options, I think that you might consider contacting Tom to see if he would take back your two XV-15's on a trade-up to a pair of V3600's (dual 18" per cabinet) if you have room for them. A pair of V3600's would be roughly equivalent to a pair of Cap 1400's and might save you some money in an upgrade.

With respect to dual Cap 1400's, a pair of them would be equivalent to three of your current subs at nearly all frequencies and four of your current subs at lower frequencies (say, about 40Hz and down). You can do a direct comparison of their output capabilities by comparing them on Data-Bass. I just glanced at the two lines, so please double-check me on the numbers, but the difference compared to what you have now would be literally enormous. And, for the record, maker and owner testimonials aside, referring to test data on Data-Bass is by far the best way to make apples-to-apples comparisons. http://www.data-bass.com/systems

To specifically answer your question, yes two Cap 1400's would give you all the headroom you could need to reach Reference volumes in a 2100^3 room, unless you were using an unusually large bass boost at Reference (which you haven't specified). If you are using even a 6db bass boost, which is my guess as to the upper limit of what you would probably use at 0.0 MV, I believe you would be fine with the Cap 1400's. They are one of the most powerful subs made, particularly considering their relatively compact size.

Regards,
Mike
Reddig likes this.

GUIDE TO SUBWOOFER CALIBRATION AND BASS PREFERENCES

* The Guide linked above is a comprehensive guide to Audio & HT systems, including:
Speaker placements & Room treatments; HT calibration & Room EQ; Room gain; Bass
Preferences; Subwoofer Buyer's Guide: Sealed/ported; ID subs; Subwoofer placement.
post #368 of 386 Old 10-08-2016, 05:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mthomas47 View Post
Hi,

I have several thoughts on this. First, I'm sorry that your previous experiences in buying subs didn't work out well. Without wishing to defend Tom (I don't own any PSA products) it can be difficult to accurately predict what will satisfy someone in a given room. And, even though the 2100^3 room is not especially large, a lot depends on how much bass boost you like as you try to decide what will work at Reference volumes.

FWIW, in addition to other options, I think that you might consider contacting Tom to see if he would take back your two XV-15's on a trade-up to a pair of V3600's (dual 18" per cabinet) if you have room for them. A pair of V3600's would be roughly equivalent to a pair of Cap 1400's and might save you some money in an upgrade.

With respect to dual Cap 1400's, a pair of them would be equivalent to three of your current subs at nearly all frequencies and four of your current subs at lower frequencies (say, about 40Hz and down). You can do a direct comparison of their output capabilities by comparing them on Data-Bass. I just glanced at the two lines, so please double-check me on the numbers, but the difference compared to what you have now would be literally enormous. And, for the record, maker and owner testimonials aside, referring to test data on Data-Bass is by far the best way to make apples-to-apples comparisons. http://www.data-bass.com/systems

To specifically answer your question, yes two Cap 1400's would give you all the headroom you could need to reach Reference volumes in a 2100^3 room, unless you were using an unusually large bass boost at Reference (which you haven't specified). If you are using even a 6db bass boost, which is my guess as to the upper limit of what you would probably use at 0.0 MV, I believe you would be fine with the Cap 1400's. They are one of the most powerful subs made, particularly considering their relatively compact size.

Regards,
Mike
Hello Mike. Thanks a bunch for the kind sentiments and taking the time to answer. Cheers

I usually calibrate my subs without a boost although if a movie is tame I will turn the trims up about 5-6db. I prefer my system to be able to handle the toughest bass scenes at no more then reference levels for those let loose occasions. I like it to sound balanced, musical, powerful and big without strain even on those demo nights and must be up to par with pro JBL cinema cabs talking of dynamic capabilities and output that needs to match up. He and others said, as you alluded to as well, that since I don't require a boost the dual XVs will be plenty. While I do get considerable room gain around 18-20hz I would like the ability to add about a 6-10db boost down low. Hard to imagine but maybe Tom wasn't aware of exactly how capable my LCRs are. He was nice and I didn't push the issue but as time went by I guess I feel I didn't get what I thought I was getting. The XVs are a real nice sub but is comfy at -5mv, and mostly thats where I listen at. But for those times.....like owning a Ferrari. Just knowing the headroom is there gives a special feeling.

I think you make a good point about talking more with Tom as i never got to know him much cause I think he kept confusing me with another customer cause he called me by another name. It happens, and im an understanding guy. But In turn I didn't exactly get what I expected I was getting, or was told by many, many PSA fans that it would be overkill. I bet if I had a nice chat with Tom he may do a trade in plus cash as I think he has before. It did on my end take a leap of faith to believe in a new product ive never heard. They do sound great too just not exactly the performance gain from the HSUs I was looking for, not by a long shot. Awe yes data-bass. Been a few since ive been over there so I think ill be doing some reading tonight.

Mistakes are nothing if nothing is learned from them. I tried HSU with dual VTF-MK4s then PSA with dual XV15se. Honestly after either was set up and eqed they were more alike then different....and that made me mad. Im not exactly a wealthy guy so throwing down a couple grand or two or three isn't something I do often. So I think next time Im gunna join team JTR and go with what fits my budget and stage area behind the screen the best. Other wise ill just be chasing those incremental improvements.

Thanks again Mike you got me thinking.
mthomas47 likes this.

post #369 of 386 Old 10-08-2016, 05:46 PM
AVS ***** Member

Mentioned: 324 Post(s)
Quoted: 5376 Post(s)
Liked: 10050
Quote:
Hello Mike. Thanks a bunch for the kind sentiments and taking the time to answer. Cheers

Mistakes are nothing if nothing is learned from them. I tried HSU with dual VTF-MK4s then PSA with dual XV15se. Honestly after either was set up and eqed they were more alike then different....and that made me mad. Im not exactly a wealthy guy so throwing down a couple grand or two or three isn't something I do often. So I think next time Im gunna join team JTR and go with what fits my budget and stage area behind the screen the best. Other wise ill just be chasing those incremental improvements.

Thanks again Mike you got me thinking.
You are very welcome, and I'm glad if I helped a little! I think it's pretty hard to beat Cap 1400's for the money. And, I believe that Jeff just lowered the price a bit. So, that would be a great decision.

But, if you change your mind and do decide to trade-up with Tom, the V3600's are also very powerful subs. Either would give you a very substantial performance upgrade to the two subs you currently have.
Reddig likes this.

GUIDE TO SUBWOOFER CALIBRATION AND BASS PREFERENCES

* The Guide linked above is a comprehensive guide to Audio & HT systems, including:
Speaker placements & Room treatments; HT calibration & Room EQ; Room gain; Bass
Preferences; Subwoofer Buyer's Guide: Sealed/ported; ID subs; Subwoofer placement.
post #370 of 386 Old 10-08-2016, 06:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Sorry to hear about your issues.

Your mains are very capable speakers, but I would be amazed if a pair of Cap 1400s wouldn't keep up.

As mthomas posted, Data-bass.com has some very useful info. Unfortunately, they didn't test the SE version of the sub that you have. I'm not familiar enough to know how much of an improvement over the non-SE version it was, but even if it was a couple of db, it still pales in comparison to the Cap. It's not a knock on the PSA sub, as the Cap is larger with a bigger driver and more power. It should outperform the PSA model.

Here is the comparison graph of the non-SE version and the Cap 1400. You see the Cap has a 7-10db advantage across the range.

I would speak with @Jeff Permanian . He probably has experience with your JBLs and can give you some good info.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cap vs PSA.JPG
Views:	812
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	1705993  
mthomas47 and Reddig like this.
post #371 of 386 Old 10-08-2016, 06:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

mthomas also had another good suggestion about contacting @Tom Vodhanel and seeing if he can help you out. His V3600s are very capable subs as well.

Honestly, I'm very surprised with the experience that you had with Tom. It doesn't sound like him at all. I have to be honest, Tom has given me the best customer service that I have ever received from any company in my entire life. The most recent time, he went out of his way to track down a sub for an old SVS product for me. BEYOND exceptional service. I purchased multiple sets of SVS subs from Tom back when they started, but the most recent was about ten years prior. He still took time out from his busy schedule (and Jim too!) to get me up and running again.

Definitely contact Tom as well. I'm sure that he will want to make you happy.
Reddig likes this.
post #372 of 386 Old 10-09-2016, 04:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
mthomas also had another good suggestion about contacting @Tom Vodhanel and seeing if he can help you out. His V3600s are very capable subs as well.

Honestly, I'm very surprised with the experience that you had with Tom. It doesn't sound like him at all. I have to be honest, Tom has given me the best customer service that I have ever received from any company in my entire life. The most recent time, he went out of his way to track down a sub for an old SVS product for me. BEYOND exceptional service. I purchased multiple sets of SVS subs from Tom back when they started, but the most recent was about ten years prior. He still took time out from his busy schedule (and Jim too!) to get me up and running again.

Definitely contact Tom as well. I'm sure that he will want to make you happy.
Great to hear about the great service. I would believe you are of a special customer type to him cause of all the past sales and all the possible futures as well. Please don't take this the wrong way its just business 101 kinda stuff. One thing I really want understood is that I wasn't near proactive enough for Tom to offer a deal cause last we communicated I asked the reference question and he said with confidence that these will do reference cleanly and hearing that made me instatnly order them as I had just enough saved up. He responded after I messeged that Im still likeig the subs but trying to get more headroom. It was never answered. I got pretty good customer service with HSU but other then a missing foam insert nothing needed attention. He did email me some incredible setup tips and trial and error etc. I really liked that.

I just gotta get SOME feedback with purchases like this. Tough to find but it requires a thing that develops over time in many cases. Didn't think for a sec honestly Id be in this position of making realistically, an almost more then anything a lateral move from my HSU VTF-MK4. Over the last few months ive just thought of it. I can still get close to cinema levels but not with these subs. I hope to find them a good home some day cause they are a great sub just not quite enough headroom in my particular HT room. Even still Im more satisfied then ever with the audio in my theater. I bet Tom is a great guy and likes helping people out. Theres alot of excellent testimony about PSA too. Im sure hes swamped too.

One other thing...same week I took delivery of the new JBLs and built stage higher and tougher and installed a new pro/ac condensor unit outside that finally bit the dust so for 4 maddening weeks I didn't even get a chance to hear them cause we briefly moved in with my folks until the new AC installed and of course it was 105 in the shade. Once I did tho I was confident these will get the job done. If theres one pet peeve of mine its when Im incorrect because of advice that more then likey was subjective and/or an assumption or...the string broke between the cans lol. Of course now Im assuming.

Last edited by Reddig; 11-04-2016 at 10:38 PM.
post #373 of 386 Old 10-09-2016, 10:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 2921 Post(s)
Liked: 9640
Hi Reddig,

Very sorry if I missed an email. As much as I hate to say it...yours wouldn't the only one. No excuses, I just drop the ball on occasion. I would suggest for anyone who has sent an email without a reply within say 2 days max---please resend. I promise I'm not trying to avoid anyone..

As for calling someone by the wrong name, ouch, sorry! But I remember doing that more than once too. No disrespect intended of course. It isn't unusual for me to be on the phone, have several chats going simultaneously, answering the door for a freight, UPS, fedex, or usps delivery, working the PC on the fedex site tryng to get a Canada quote for someone(usually waiting in real time in chat) and who knows what else. I'm pretty good at the multi-task thing but I do make errors like that, sorry again.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, But I have promises to keep,
post #374 of 386 Old 10-09-2016, 10:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Quoted: 886 Post(s)
Liked: 1965
Quote:
Originally Posted by mthomas47 View Post
Please, give us ID manufactures the opportunity to do everything we can.
chucky7, Shniks, mthomas47 and 2 others like this.

Last edited by Jeff Permanian; 10-09-2016 at 10:53 AM.
post #375 of 386 Old 10-10-2016, 06:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 597 Post(s)
Liked: 163
@Reddig

I'll give you my biased suggestion: Orbit Shifter
Reddig likes this.
post #376 of 386 Old 11-04-2016, 09:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotJun View Post
@Reddig

I'll give you my biased suggestion: Orbit Shifter
I like your way of thinking and I've considered one!

post #377 of 386 Old 11-04-2016, 10:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vodhanel View Post
Hi Reddig,

Very sorry if I missed an email. As much as I hate to say it...yours wouldn't the only one. No excuses, I just drop the ball on occasion. I would suggest for anyone who has sent an email without a reply within say 2 days max---please resend. I promise I'm not trying to avoid anyone..

As for calling someone by the wrong name, ouch, sorry! But I remember doing that more than once too. No disrespect intended of course. It isn't unusual for me to be on the phone, have several chats going simultaneously, answering the door for a freight, UPS, fedex, or usps delivery, working the PC on the fedex site tryng to get a Canada quote for someone(usually waiting in real time in chat) and who knows what else. I'm pretty good at the multi-task thing but I do make errors like that, sorry again.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Hello Tom. Thanks for replying! No hard feelings what so ever and I understand. Really I do. I may have spoke unkindly of you and over reacted. How is one to judge performance exactly to the T?

I'm guilty of a late response and I apologize. I blame it on all the time I've been spending enjoying my theater and not being on the forums. Its been a blast.

In all honestly, I've never been this satisfied with my theaters audio EVER. Played soft or loud. Thanks for making a great sub!

post #378 of 386 Old 11-04-2016, 10:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Permanian View Post
Please, give us ID manufactures the opportunity to do everything we can.
Thanks Jeff yes I should be more considerate as well. Thank you and all other ID companies for all your hard work in creating all these incredible subs.

post #379 of 386 Old 12-05-2016, 12:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

We just finalized our new Captivator 118HT and 218HT driver with a custom proprietary cone to get the characteristics we wanted. We're measuring the Captivator 118HT at 100db/1watt/1m/half space with burst numbers are on par with the Captivator 1400 from 50hz and above while still producing 114db at 16hz (105db, 2m, rms). The new Captivators also received improved dsp and cabinet damping. The new drivers are due in by the end of January and Captivator 118HT/218HT will start shipping the beginning of February. Check out our website for details.
post #380 of 386 Old 12-05-2016, 01:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1330 Post(s)
Liked: 1832
Jeff is constantly kicking it up a notch, have to respect that.
Jeff Permanian likes this.
post #381 of 386 Old 12-05-2016, 03:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Pre-order deals on both 118HT and 218HT make them tough to pass up.
Jeff Permanian likes this.
post #382 of 386 Old 12-06-2016, 10:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood Simple View Post
Pre-order deals on both 118HT and 218HT make them tough to pass up.
We already have amplifiers and cabinets in stock so we are just waiting on drivers. Eminence has always shipped within their time window of 8 weeks.
post #383 of 386 Old 12-07-2016, 01:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Here is the Captivator 1400 and the Captivator 118HT side by side.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Captivator 1400 vs Captivator 118HT.png
Views:	147
Size:	507.5 KB
ID:	1815057  
chucky7, Blood Simple and gtorresn like this.
post #384 of 386 Old 12-08-2016, 01:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 290 Post(s)
Quoted: 3413 Post(s)
Liked: 4172
@ Jeff Permanian,

You might want to take the "off" word off in the 118HT and 218HT page... as it says "$1399 (Pre-Order- December $1099 off, January $1249)" and "$2299 (Pre-Order- December $1899 off, January $2099)" now

@ $400 each ( $1899 off $2299 ), I will take 200 218HTs...

Speakers: L/C/R: JTR Neosis 212HT. Surrounds: Jamo C103, KEF Q100, Polk Audio RTiA3.
Subwoofer: JTR Captivator 4000ULF.
AVR: Denon AVR-X4400H. TV: Samsung UN75NU8000FXZA.

FS: Jamo C103, KEF Q100 and Polk RTiA3

Last edited by chucky7; 12-08-2016 at 02:00 PM.
post #385 of 386 Old 12-08-2016, 03:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks. Fixed.
post #386 of 386 Old 12-13-2016, 06:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The only driver I've found on the market close the our Captivator 118HT driver is the BMS 18n862 which has similar moving mass and xmax however our driver has 35% more motor strength and is a couple db more efficient. FYI, that 18n862 is a $800 driver.

http://www.data-bass.com/data?page=driver&id=51
chucky7 and gtorresn like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page