Need opinions on Martin Logan Dynamo 300 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7Likes
  • 1 Post By Mosh07
  • 1 Post By lovinthehd
  • 2 Post By lovinthehd
  • 1 Post By Hopinater
  • 1 Post By lovinthehd
  • 1 Post By fuquay
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 11-04-2015, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Need opinions on Martin Logan Dynamo 300

I found a Martin Logan Dynamo 300 on craigslist for $100. It would be used with my Overnight Sensations in a desk setup, used mostly for music and games. The room is about 17.5 x 14.5 with two 4 x 5 dormers.
Would it work well for me vs. building my own subwoofer? Thanks
Squirrel! likes this.
Mosh07 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 22 Old 11-04-2015, 07:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Hopinater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Central VA
Posts: 6,535
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3330 Post(s)
Liked: 10008
Depends how much output you're looking for. If you're just looking for a some low end it would most likely work well enough. I would talk them down to $75 if possible. New it cost between $250 to $300. Make sure it's in good condition before you pay for it.

Subwoofers: PSA TV36 iPal X2 ...Speakers: PSA MTM-210T L/R - PSA MTM-210C Center- PSA MT110SR's Surrounds - RSL C34E Atmos... Motion Actuators: Crowson Shadow 8 - X2
Video: Samsung UN65KS9000 4K SUHD - Oppo UDP-203... AVR:Denon X4400... Gaming: XBOX ONE S

Guide to Subwoofer Calibration and Bass Preferences
Hopinater is offline  
post #3 of 22 Old 11-04-2015, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopinater View Post
Depends how much output you're looking for. If you're just looking for a some low end it would most likely work well enough. I would talk them down to $75 if possible. New it cost between $250 to $300. Make sure it's in good condition before you pay for it.
Not looking for a whole lot of output, as I'm only using it at a desk setup.
Mosh07 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 22 Old 11-05-2015, 06:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
eljaycanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 9,784
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1861 Post(s)
Liked: 2611
A couple of alternatives to that used ML sub are:
- a Dayton SUB-1000 ($119, shipped, from parts-express.com); and
- a Dayton SUB-1200 (currently on sale for $138, shipped, from parts-express.com).

They are well-rated budget subs. (Personally, I'd go with the -1200.)
eljaycanuck is offline  
post #5 of 22 Old 11-05-2015, 09:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Elihawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Iowa City, Iowa
Posts: 6,011
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1889 Post(s)
Liked: 2009
I owned the Martin Logan Dynamo 300 and a "Dynamo" it is NOT!

Set up #1: EMP e5Ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, SVS NSD SB12 sub, Marantz Slimeline 1504 AV receiver
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and EMPtek10i10i sub, Denon 1910 AV receiver
Set up #3: Philharmonics- BMR in a 2.0 system, music only, Yamaha RXV-363 AV receiver
Elihawk is offline  
post #6 of 22 Old 11-05-2015, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post
I owned the Martin Logan Dynamo 300 and a "Dynamo" it is NOT!
Was it just not loud enough for you?
Mosh07 is offline  
post #7 of 22 Old 11-05-2015, 11:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Transmaniacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 6,597
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1779 Post(s)
Liked: 1610
It might be alright if you keep it pretty close, but I agree you would be better off with a Dayton SUB-1000 or 1200 if it's not too big.

What else is available near you?

5.1: Samsung PN60F5300 | Sony BDP-S1700 | Denon AVR-1713 | EMP E55Ti | EMP E56Ci | EMP E5Bi | Outlaw Ultra-X12

2.0: Oppo DV-980H | Apple Airport Express | Topping D30 | Parasound HCA-1500a | Chane A1.4
Transmaniacon is online now  
post #8 of 22 Old 11-05-2015, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmaniacon View Post
It might be alright if you keep it pretty close, but I agree you would be better off with a Dayton SUB-1000 or 1200 if it's not too big.

What else is available near you?
I'm in Indianapolis, would also be willing to build a subwoofer if it offers good performance.
Mosh07 is offline  
post #9 of 22 Old 11-05-2015, 01:10 PM
 
lovinthehd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: OROR
Posts: 16,231
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4588 Post(s)
Liked: 4791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosh07 View Post
I'm in Indianapolis, would also be willing to build a subwoofer if it offers good performance.
How much would you be willing to spend on a diy/aiy sub? The minimal costs for a driver, box and amp add up....but even with a budget driver like the Infinity 1260/1262 you can do much better than something like the Dynamo 300....
lovinthehd is offline  
post #10 of 22 Old 11-05-2015, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post
How much would you be willing to spend on a diy/aiy sub? The minimal costs for a driver, box and amp add up....but even with a budget driver like the Infinity 1260/1262 you can do much better than something like the Dynamo 300....
$150 would probably be the most I would spend unless spending more offers substantial improvement. If possible, having a smaller box like the Martin Logan would be great.
Mosh07 is offline  
post #11 of 22 Old 11-05-2015, 01:47 PM
 
lovinthehd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: OROR
Posts: 16,231
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4588 Post(s)
Liked: 4791
The Infinity 1260/1262 driver is about $60-70 (altho there is a twofer deal at one site for $106). A cheap amp on the light side watts and dsp-wise maybe $100, but better choices are probably at least $150-200. Then there's the box, if you can't build your own that's probably another $100....
Box size and type are related to performance and the amp/dsp needed. Small usually means sealed with a larger amp and some dsp to bring up the low end....

You probably for $150 should keep looking for a good used one to pop up. I'd agree that $100 for a $170 sub is a bit much used....may as well buy one http://www.safeandsoundhq.com/Martin...FQOSfgod6_4LlA

There's a big fan of the Dynamo300 around here, think its @Squirrel!
Squirrel! likes this.
lovinthehd is offline  
post #12 of 22 Old 11-05-2015, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post
The Infinity 1260/1262 driver is about $60-70 (altho there is a twofer deal at one site for $106). A cheap amp on the light side watts and dsp-wise maybe $100, but better choices are probably at least $150-200. Then there's the box, if you can't build your own that's probably another $100....
Box size and type are related to performance and the amp/dsp needed. Small usually means sealed with a larger amp and some dsp to bring up the low end....

You probably for $150 should keep looking for a good used one to pop up. I'd agree that $100 for a $170 sub is a bit much used....may as well buy one http://www.safeandsoundhq.com/Martin...FQOSfgod6_4LlA

There's a big fan of the Dynamo300 around here, think its @Squirrel!
Alright, thanks for the help.
Mosh07 is offline  
post #13 of 22 Old 11-06-2015, 06:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Squirrel!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 1,714
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 791 Post(s)
Liked: 467
I wouldn't spend over $120 for a Dynamo 300, but that's just me. I love the heck out of them...for a good price. At normal retail, there are better. DIY will cost you more than the one on CL and your time. I would offer $80 if it is immaculate condition. It is a VERY good sub for the size...VERY articulate. $150/above, I'd keep looking. I like the 300 so much because they were selling as refurbs (but new was shipped) for under $120 each. The best bang for the buck in this size sub at that price, in my opinion.

Main: Mitsubishi 73736|OTA|fireTV|Sony BDP-S1100|Denon AVR4311CI|MartinLogan Preface|Phantom|MartinLogan Encore TF|2 - DIY 12" Subs|Behringer KM750|2 Bass Shaker|APC H15 Power Conditioner|Harmony Hub|Sennheiser RS 160|SMSL B1 BT Rx|Linksys SE2500
MBR: Vizio VF550M|OTA|fireTV3|Sony BDP-S1100|Denon AVR-X1000|Chane A1rx-c|Dayton SAT-BK|MartinLogan Dynamo 300|Belkin Bridge|Belkin PF30|Harmony 550
Squirrel! is offline  
post #14 of 22 Old 11-06-2015, 08:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Elihawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Iowa City, Iowa
Posts: 6,011
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1889 Post(s)
Liked: 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosh07 View Post
Was it just not loud enough for you?
It lacked in volume, depth and accuracy. Oh, did I mention it was UGLY? however, it may be as good as the other 100 dollar subs out there! Btw, I bought mine new for 100 dollars from New Egg, maybe 3 years ago.

I moved up the ladder from the Dynamo to the Klipsch Synergy (mediocre), the Klipsch Rw12D (more mediocre, leading me to believe that Klipsch does NOT make great subs) and finally, my EMPtek10i10i (very accurate and pretty good output, just doesn't hit low) and my Outlaw LFM-1 plus (ouput, good acuuracy, good, low, good!)

Set up #1: EMP e5Ti, e5Ci, and EMP e5Bi surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, SVS NSD SB12 sub, Marantz Slimeline 1504 AV receiver
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and EMPtek10i10i sub, Denon 1910 AV receiver
Set up #3: Philharmonics- BMR in a 2.0 system, music only, Yamaha RXV-363 AV receiver

Last edited by Elihawk; 11-06-2015 at 08:51 AM.
Elihawk is offline  
post #15 of 22 Old 11-06-2015, 12:05 PM
 
lovinthehd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: OROR
Posts: 16,231
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4588 Post(s)
Liked: 4791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post
It lacked in volume, depth and accuracy. Oh, did I mention it was UGLY? however, it may be as good as the other 100 dollar subs out there! Btw, I bought mine new for 100 dollars from New Egg, maybe 3 years ago.

I moved up the ladder from the Dynamo to the Klipsch Synergy (mediocre), the Klipsch Rw12D (more mediocre, leading me to believe that Klipsch does NOT make great subs) and finally, my EMPtek10i10i (very accurate and pretty good output, just doesn't hit low) and my Outlaw LFM-1 plus (ouput, good acuuracy, good, low, good!)
Sub journeys are so much fun. What, you haven't discovered diy subs yet? Dude!
Hopinater and Squirrel! like this.
lovinthehd is offline  
post #16 of 22 Old 11-06-2015, 02:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Hopinater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Central VA
Posts: 6,535
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3330 Post(s)
Liked: 10008
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post
Sub journeys are so much fun. What, you haven't discovered diy subs yet? Dude!
It's funny you mention that. Personally I'm scared to start down that road, not because I'm not handy (because actually I am pretty handy). But because I'm afraid of the addiction that seems to afflict a lot of the DIYers. I think once I start down the DIY road I wouldn't be able to stop.
smurraybhm likes this.

Subwoofers: PSA TV36 iPal X2 ...Speakers: PSA MTM-210T L/R - PSA MTM-210C Center- PSA MT110SR's Surrounds - RSL C34E Atmos... Motion Actuators: Crowson Shadow 8 - X2
Video: Samsung UN65KS9000 4K SUHD - Oppo UDP-203... AVR:Denon X4400... Gaming: XBOX ONE S

Guide to Subwoofer Calibration and Bass Preferences
Hopinater is offline  
post #17 of 22 Old 11-06-2015, 02:21 PM
 
lovinthehd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: OROR
Posts: 16,231
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4588 Post(s)
Liked: 4791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopinater View Post
It's funny you mention that. Personally I'm scared to start down that road, not because I'm not handy (because actually I am pretty handy). But because I'm afraid of the addiction that seems to afflict a lot of the DIYers. I think once I start down the DIY road I wouldn't be able to stop.
I have no idea what you're talking about

I can tell you that the three I've built (sealed using SI HT18"s) are pretty awesome (my best commercial sub is an Epik Empire, a dual opposed 15" sealed design, but doesn't quite keep up); I did buy two more drivers since they're no longer in production and wanted a couple more just in case.....not sure yet what those are going to be built into. Is there a 12-stepper for sub guys? I can see it now...we admitted we have no power over our subs.....a list of the neighbors harmed....LOL.
Hopinater likes this.
lovinthehd is offline  
post #18 of 22 Old 11-06-2015, 06:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Hopinater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Central VA
Posts: 6,535
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3330 Post(s)
Liked: 10008
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post
I have no idea what you're talking about

I can tell you that the three I've built (sealed using SI HT18"s) are pretty awesome (my best commercial sub is an Epik Empire, a dual opposed 15" sealed design, but doesn't quite keep up); I did buy two more drivers since they're no longer in production and wanted a couple more just in case.....not sure yet what those are going to be built into. Is there a 12-stepper for sub guys? I can see it now...we admitted we have no power over our subs.....a list of the neighbors harmed....LOL.
Ha Ha Ha… That would be a Loooooong list.

Subwoofers: PSA TV36 iPal X2 ...Speakers: PSA MTM-210T L/R - PSA MTM-210C Center- PSA MT110SR's Surrounds - RSL C34E Atmos... Motion Actuators: Crowson Shadow 8 - X2
Video: Samsung UN65KS9000 4K SUHD - Oppo UDP-203... AVR:Denon X4400... Gaming: XBOX ONE S

Guide to Subwoofer Calibration and Bass Preferences
Hopinater is offline  
post #19 of 22 Old 11-09-2015, 12:11 PM
Newbie
 
fuquay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I've had one in a 2-channel setup for more than a year to complement Magnapan MMGWs, and really like it. I got it new for about $100 at the local Fry's. It's in a room about the same size as yours, but I don't listen at loud levels.
Squirrel! likes this.
fuquay is offline  
post #20 of 22 Old 03-30-2019, 09:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Squirrel!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 1,714
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 791 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Blast from the past! LOL

Just wanted to stop in and say that almost 4 years later, I am still luvvin' my 3, Dynamo 300's!!! Just fantastic little subs these things are. No issues at all, just wonderfully clean and powerful bass.

Very pleased with the investment and another reason MartinLogan is no. 1, at least to my family. Happened to see an open box deal for one today...$170!!!

But, in all honesty, it IS worth it. The quality of the cabinetry and components are just top notch, all the way around. I'm just an old penny-pinching cheapskate is all.

Main: Mitsubishi 73736|OTA|fireTV|Sony BDP-S1100|Denon AVR4311CI|MartinLogan Preface|Phantom|MartinLogan Encore TF|2 - DIY 12" Subs|Behringer KM750|2 Bass Shaker|APC H15 Power Conditioner|Harmony Hub|Sennheiser RS 160|SMSL B1 BT Rx|Linksys SE2500
MBR: Vizio VF550M|OTA|fireTV3|Sony BDP-S1100|Denon AVR-X1000|Chane A1rx-c|Dayton SAT-BK|MartinLogan Dynamo 300|Belkin Bridge|Belkin PF30|Harmony 550
Squirrel! is offline  
post #21 of 22 Old 03-30-2019, 09:50 AM
Advanced Member
 
dpc716's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 555
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Did you buy it??
dpc716 is online now  
post #22 of 22 Old 04-05-2019, 06:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Squirrel!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 1,714
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 791 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpc716 View Post
Did you buy it??
No, no, no...the 3 I have are in use and another isn't needed.

Main: Mitsubishi 73736|OTA|fireTV|Sony BDP-S1100|Denon AVR4311CI|MartinLogan Preface|Phantom|MartinLogan Encore TF|2 - DIY 12" Subs|Behringer KM750|2 Bass Shaker|APC H15 Power Conditioner|Harmony Hub|Sennheiser RS 160|SMSL B1 BT Rx|Linksys SE2500
MBR: Vizio VF550M|OTA|fireTV3|Sony BDP-S1100|Denon AVR-X1000|Chane A1rx-c|Dayton SAT-BK|MartinLogan Dynamo 300|Belkin Bridge|Belkin PF30|Harmony 550
Squirrel! is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off