down to dual PSA S1500 or dual SVS SB13-Ultra - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 29Likes

post #31 of 42 Old 11-18-2015, 10:08 AM

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4588 Post(s)
Liked: 4791
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL D View Post
The driver in the Ultra is one of the most stout commercial offerings available. Thing weighs like 42 pounds (that's almost as much as the far larger ultimax 18). The sledge amp is also realllllly nice in terms of DSP options.

I can see why someone could come to that conclusion. In terms of performance though, the S1500 should have a clear advantage by a a couple dB.

The box that thing sits in is also a lot prettier in person than the pictures give it credit for.

If it was me though, I'd go with the PSA offering. Lower price and higher output.
Still rather hear from the guy who made the comment....no doubt the Ultra is a nice sub but....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 42 Old 11-18-2015, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadio917 View Post
well, my wife asked me about reviews. Made me realize that while there are several glowing "independent" reviews on the ultra there are none that I can find on the S1500. There are a few user reviews on the S1500 but far fewer than the ultra. I suspect either will put out much more "output" than we'll ever use. Really looking for very clean well distributed bass. So while the SVS is a bit more $ it looks less risk and probably better re-sale as well (even though my sons tend to get my leftovers for free). So...as of this moment the ultra is my leaning.
You of course told her about all the silly professional audio reviews out there, right?
post #33 of 42 Old 11-18-2015, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 4
sure, am skeptical about all reviews. But you have to admit the reviews on the ultra are uniformly positive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 42 Old 11-18-2015, 12:52 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 199
You can get 10 of these and you'll need nothing else..

post #35 of 42 Old 11-18-2015, 01:11 PM
AVS ***** Member

Mentioned: 319 Post(s)
Quoted: 5301 Post(s)
Liked: 9834
Quote:
sure, am skeptical about all reviews. But you have to admit the reviews on the ultra are uniformly positive.

Hi,

We are all reassured by seeing professional, and user reviews, especially if we don't have a great opportunity to demo everything for ourselves. I happen to have three Ultras, two PC's and one PB, and I like them very much. Although I started with something else (a SuperCube), I went to SVS some years ago, for a better sub, because I liked the cylinder form, and it fit well in the room. And I just upgraded and added from there.

But in all honesty, I don't think that subs have nearly the sound quality variety that other speakers do. So, I think you would be very happy with the PSA subs, and I personally would not hesitate to buy them if I didn't have some long-standing brand loyalty to SVS. I have spent some time on the PSA owners thread and I am convinced that both the quality of the subs, and the service, are excellent--lot's of satisfied customers.

With all that said, you are obviously leaning toward the SVS subs for reasons that can't always be clearly articulated. And if you are anything like most of us on AVS, you won't be quite happy unless you get what you really want. So, it's certainly okay to follow your heart on something like this, if you can afford the price difference.

Regards,
Mike

GUIDE TO SUBWOOFER CALIBRATION AND BASS PREFERENCES

* The Guide linked above is a comprehensive guide to Audio & HT systems, including:
Speaker placements & Room treatments; HT calibration & Room EQ; Room gain; Bass
Preferences; Subwoofer Buyer's Guide: Sealed/ported; ID subs; Subwoofer placement.
post #36 of 42 Old 11-18-2015, 05:51 PM

Quote:
I just shiver when some gals talk about reviews for audio...then they want Bose. The Ultra is a great sub but has been around a whole lot longer....
post #37 of 42 Old 11-19-2015, 09:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 23
All great products, some with more history than others. Of course PSA is actually a rebirth of "old" SVS persons. So, both companies have benefitted from great minds. Many of the makers talked about on AVS have reputable warranty and product support. I've personally got a pair of Ultras (PB) and have loved them over several years, except the BASH amp failures. But those got upgraded to Sledge amps and are even better.

As far as bashing those prior opinions of "overall" better parts and finish, it's rather comical. It's HIS/HER opinion from their observation on the outside of the box likely. No further indication of tearing in was mentioned, so take it for what it is - a basic opinion. Man, this place has gotten touchy again.

I've not seen a PSA in person, but from interweb pics, I might agree with that poster that in general the SVS "seems" to ME a slightly better product. I make this based on the amp for one... SVS has balanced inputs and the PSA doesn't. Not a huge issue for most, but it is for me. This is a simple eye test to me as to the assumed amp quality - nothing scientific, just a statistical probability - more higher end amps have balanced ins and more entry level amps don't - but this isn't a guarantee in this case either. Now, PSA's triple triangular unit does have balanced ins, so there's that option. The speaker driver also is more robust in the SVS, again just a visual eye test. Of course there are plenty of car audio over-the-top subs that look fantastic but are crap. So, just because the basket is killer built, doesn't mean the driver will provide lower distortion, flatter response, more output, longer life, etc.

The PSA finish options are wonderful - something SVS has dropped in recent years. That's too bad. That's what almost pushed me to try a PSA, if it wasn't for the lack of balanced inputs. The natural wood finishes are a special touch in a piece of furniture that most of us have sitting in our living rooms, not a dedicated separate room. Of course the gloss of SVS is nice too, but it's like the Model-T car - "You can have any color you want, as long as it's black."

Beyond that, both units look impressive and with free in-home auditions possible, it's easy to compare visually and audibly in person! Glad we have these great options from great builders and companies. Otherwise we could be buying B&M store units and have to be satisfied with 30Hz extensions.
dsrussell likes this.

Why do all of my threads suck? Is there an internet posting school somewhere? -wes k
post #38 of 42 Old 11-21-2015, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Here’s an update on our direction.
Printed out big pictures of the Ultra and S1500 in CordobaCherry and mocked them up. Our house isrustic with lots of wood so the piano black ultra looked nicer, giving a contrastto all the wood. Also the soft lines ofthe ultra go well with the waning on our wood trims. On the other hand, keep learning the Ultra islarger than the specs do to the grill (2”) and a couple inches clearance in theback. So the aesthetics of both haveturned negative.
Then, in a chat with SVS about the real size of the Ultra I askedthem about how their sub matching tool Merlin recommended SB2000 with our kefrdm2 fronts and 200C center. Theyreplied that the Ultra would be ok but would overpower our speakers and we’d not see its real benefit, and thatthe SB2000 would be a better match and duals would be plenty for our room. Have to admit I’d been wondering if either theS1500 or ultra would be way overkill for our listening style, but being a guyhave an el mondo el better philosophy. Mywife does not share that view for some reason! I have to respect SVS for being honest about their opinion given theprice difference.
So…dual piano black SB2000s on order! Can’t wait to try them out and suspect thepop over our old Rel Strata III (which my son will soon inherit) will be dramatic. Btw, we use a SVS SB12-plus in the livingroom and have been very happy with it….so maybe we have some brand loyalty aswell.
I will post how it goes once I get them. Damn….been 24 hours since I ordered….whereare they!?
post #39 of 42 Old 11-22-2015, 09:16 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Quote:
Printed out big pictures of the Ultra and S1500 in CordobaCherry and mocked them up. Our house isrustic with lots of wood so the piano black ultra looked nicer, giving a contrastto all the wood. Also the soft lines ofthe ultra go well with the waning on our wood trims. On the other hand, keep learning the Ultra islarger than the specs do to the grill (2”) and a couple inches clearance in theback. So the aesthetics of both haveturned negative.
Then, in a chat with SVS about the real size of the Ultra I askedthem about how their sub matching tool Merlin recommended SB2000 with our kefrdm2 fronts and 200C center. Theyreplied that the Ultra would be ok but would overpower our speakers and we’d not see its real benefit, and thatthe SB2000 would be a better match and duals would be plenty for our room. Have to admit I’d been wondering if either theS1500 or ultra would be way overkill for our listening style, but being a guyhave an el mondo el better philosophy. Mywife does not share that view for some reason! I have to respect SVS for being honest about their opinion given theprice difference.
So…dual piano black SB2000s on order! Can’t wait to try them out and suspect thepop over our old Rel Strata III (which my son will soon inherit) will be dramatic. Btw, we use a SVS SB12-plus in the livingroom and have been very happy with it….so maybe we have some brand loyalty aswell.
I will post how it goes once I get them. Damn….been 24 hours since I ordered….whereare they!?
Those 2 suckers will absolutely destroy ur house :-)
post #40 of 42 Old 11-22-2015, 09:31 PM
AVS ***** Member

Mentioned: 319 Post(s)
Quoted: 5301 Post(s)
Liked: 9834
Quote:

Congratulations, and I know what you mean. Seriously, how long can it take?

I like that they actually suggested stepping down two sizes. Most of the good sub makers are pretty reputable about that sort of thing. I hope that the two PB-2000's will work out perfectly for you. One of the nice things about the situation, though, is that if the PB-2000's turn out to be not quite enough, you have 45 days to upgrade with free shipping both ways. And you still have PB-12 Pluses above the 2000's.

Regards,
Mike

GUIDE TO SUBWOOFER CALIBRATION AND BASS PREFERENCES

* The Guide linked above is a comprehensive guide to Audio & HT systems, including:
Speaker placements & Room treatments; HT calibration & Room EQ; Room gain; Bass
Preferences; Subwoofer Buyer's Guide: Sealed/ported; ID subs; Subwoofer placement.
post #41 of 42 Old 11-22-2015, 09:56 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post
Still rather hear from the guy who made the comment....no doubt the Ultra is a nice sub but....
@lovinthehd ...sorry I have not been on AVS much recently with holidays and work..be glad to answer any questions you have

Last edited by deepat04; 11-22-2015 at 10:00 PM.
post #42 of 42 Old 11-22-2015, 09:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Nice choice....I am running dual SB12- NSD with energy RC-Micro's crossed over at 120Hz and love the sound. The speakers and subs do a nice job of filling my large open concept living room/kitchen. I was not after earth shattering base with this set up, just clean sound for tv sports and music and it does the job well.

Wish you the best
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page