Buying SVS in China, anything to watch out for? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 16Likes
  • 2 Post By its phillip
  • 1 Post By mthomas47
  • 1 Post By januza
  • 1 Post By DNZone
  • 1 Post By Bill Fitzmaurice
  • 1 Post By DNZone
  • 2 Post By Bill Fitzmaurice
  • 2 Post By januza
  • 2 Post By DNZone
  • 2 Post By Bill Fitzmaurice
  • 1 Post By Bill Fitzmaurice

post #1 of 22 Old 11-22-2015, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Buying SVS in China, anything to watch out for?

This one shop online is willing to ship an SVS PB2000 for 5000RMB ($781USD).

Sounds like an amazing price as its lower than US retail, has no taxes and is already in China. This guy told me the difference is that the system is assembled in China so it's not as meticulous and has a higher chance of being defective but it comes with a 3 year warranty. Told me that the biggest problem was that some subwoofers will straight up not turn on but if they do work, then they are just as good.

There is a 7 day no-questions-asked return policy so sounds like nothing to lose. They say the driver and amp are all the same. Is the assembly process likely to affect sound quality?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 11-22-2015, 08:59 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 126
sounds like something from an unauthorized third shift.
jjackkrash and gkf15 like this.
post #3 of 22 Old 11-22-2015, 09:19 PM
AVS ***** Member

Mentioned: 324 Post(s)
Quoted: 5372 Post(s)
Liked: 10029
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNZone View Post
This one shop online is willing to ship an SVS PB2000 for 5000RMB ($781USD).

Sounds like an amazing price as its lower than US retail, has no taxes and is already in China. This guy told me the difference is that the system is assembled in China so it's not as meticulous and has a higher chance of being defective but it comes with a 3 year warranty. Told me that the biggest problem was that some subwoofers will straight up not turn on but if they do work, then they are just as good.

There is a 7 day no-questions-asked return policy so sounds like nothing to lose. They say the driver and amp are all the same. Is the assembly process likely to affect sound quality?

Hi,

If I were you, I would contact SVS directly to ask their opinion of the transaction. Their customer service is very good, so I think they will be honest with you about what, if anything, to watch out for. The other thing I might do is to post on the SVS owners' thread. There are people from all over the world who share experiences on that thread: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-su...l#post38919457

Good luck!

Regards,
Mike
lgans316 likes this.

GUIDE TO SUBWOOFER CALIBRATION AND BASS PREFERENCES

* The Guide linked above is a comprehensive guide to Audio & HT systems, including:
Speaker placements & Room treatments; HT calibration & Room EQ; Room gain; Bass
Preferences; Subwoofer Buyer's Guide: Sealed/ported; ID subs; Subwoofer placement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 11-22-2015, 09:20 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by its phillip View Post
I bought in China.. in Shanghai, I can recommend you to the authorised dealer in Shanghai.. I know the distributor.. all 100% legit recommended by Ed Mullen @ SVS
DNZone likes this.
post #5 of 22 Old 11-22-2015, 09:37 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys, those are very helpful ideas. I live in Shanghai and would love to know of a good Shanghai seller that has decent prices.
gkf15 likes this.
post #6 of 22 Old 11-22-2015, 11:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 798 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Don't, unless you can afford to lose all your money. I would be really surprised if a Chinese ripoff artist selling pirated merchandise actually refunds you anything.

You could email SVS and ask them if they know about this particular vendor. If they disavow, I would walk away.

The failure rate of their merchandise could just as easily be due to capacitor plague from pirated electrolyte recipe as assembly issues.

You would be better off DIYing a sub using a Dayton driver and local lumber.
post #7 of 22 Old 11-23-2015, 05:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 5768
Quote:
More likely a counterfeit.
gkf15 likes this.
post #8 of 22 Old 11-23-2015, 05:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1865 Post(s)
Liked: 2613
post #9 of 22 Old 11-23-2015, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the concern guys, but just to inform people, China has a rather mature and secure online shopping platform. If it is taobao, they pretty much have to honour anything that is agreed upon since the money doesn't get to them until the buyer confirms they are satisfied with the product.

The buyer did know what he was talking about and was pretty familiar with SVS. I am just assuming that within 7 days, I can recognize any potential problems that might be there. I have owned both PB and PC 12NSDs and assume that a PC2000 would be quite similar.

Counterfeit for such highend electronics would be pretty rare. I think people have a misconception of how many things are actually counterfeit here. Usually sellers are very open about whether something is counterfeit. Something niche like an SVS sub would be extremely expensive to counterfeit unlike clothes, shoes, or Lego.
januza likes this.
post #10 of 22 Old 11-23-2015, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Something niche like an SVS sub would be extremely expensive to counterfeit unlike clothes, shoes, or Lego.
Something like an SVS would be very easy to counterfeit, being that China is by a wide margin the #1 source of speaker and electronics components in the world. The insides wouldn't be the same, but who looks inside?
gkf15 and NODES like this.
post #11 of 22 Old 11-23-2015, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter

Yes I understand your logic. But good quality fakes of something this nature isn't a matter of someone slapping a box together. Counterfeit electronics are almost always extremely obvious whether it is from usage or small details. There are a small portion of high end, high quality fakes. But those are actually often advertised as high quality counterfeit, not as real products. That's because it requires volume for such an effort to be worth it.

In this instance, they are making an exact replica box, exact replica manual, everything sealed the same way, able to deliver similar sound performance, give a legit serial number and store a massive niche product.

It doesn't really fit the characteristics of Chinese counterfeit unless since they target popular brands like beats and Bose and when you buy fake beard online, they will straight up tell you because that market is big enough by itself. The most likely place to run into counterfeit at real prices is at tourist traps.

Saying this, I am also on guard myself because of how cheap this particular unit is. I can't assure its 100% real. But I don't want people to have an overly exaggerated view of the Chinese market, which is very different from how it was before the online markets emerged.
post #12 of 22 Old 11-23-2015, 08:02 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post
Something like an SVS would be very easy to counterfeit, being that China is by a wide margin the #1 source of speaker and electronics components in the world. The insides wouldn't be the same, but who looks inside?
9 out of 10 times the taobao seller will tell you if its fake or not.. but I have recommended the authorized SVS dealer in SHA to OP.. Lets see what happens
DNZone and gkf15 like this.
post #13 of 22 Old 11-23-2015, 09:47 PM - Thread Starter

The subwoofer arrives tomorrow so I will report back when it arrives. >
januza and gkf15 like this.
post #14 of 22 Old 11-24-2015, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Yes I understand your logic. But good quality fakes of something this nature isn't a matter of someone slapping a box together.
Of course. But what few people realize is that the majority of speakers aren't made in factories owned by the speaker manufacturer, they're made in factories that build speakers to spec. A given factory may produce legitimate products for a dozen brands. They possess the level of expertise required to produce not only cheap knock-offs, but counterfeits that are externally indistinguishable from the real thing, and given a large enough order to make it worth their while some will do just that.
gkf15 and Cvetan1 like this.
post #15 of 22 Old 11-24-2015, 11:11 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Of course. But what few people realize is that the majority of speakers aren't made in factories owned by the speaker manufacturer, they're made in factories that build speakers to spec. A given factory may produce legitimate products for a dozen brands. They possess the level of expertise required to produce not only cheap knock-offs, but counterfeits that are externally indistinguishable from the real thing, and given a large enough order to make it worth their while some will do just that.
That's what I meant by "unauthorized third shift." Basically extra product from the same factory but produced unofficially/without authorization/no QC/etc.

post #16 of 22 Old 11-24-2015, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:
That's what I meant by "unauthorized third shift." Basically extra product from the same factory but produced unofficially/without authorization/no QC/etc.
So aside from giving the serial number to SVS, what else can I do to confirm authenticity? Any kind of stress tests I could run to ensure the parts are to SVS specs?
post #17 of 22 Old 11-25-2015, 05:33 AM

Quote:
So aside from giving the serial number to SVS, what else can I do to confirm authenticity?
The heart of the speaker is the driver. You'd have to open it up and confirm that the driver is SVS OEM. From the outside even an expert would have trouble telling the difference between a $75 and a $200 driver.
gkf15 likes this.
post #18 of 22 Old 11-26-2015, 11:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
The heart of the speaker is the driver. You'd have to open it up and confirm that the driver is SVS OEM. From the outside even an expert would have trouble telling the difference between a $75 and a $200 driver.
Thanks for the info. I've gotten my sub later than expected but I have now gotten my subwoofer setup and calibrated. Great news is that it is very powerful! My entire house was shaking when u ran 15 and 20hz signals. The concerning thing was at 20hz, I could hear some kind of noise that sounded like my ceiling lights but I really hope it wasn't the driver. I've since tested it out with Gravity (the first film I tested on my old NSDs) and it was terrific with the dial set at 10 o' clock!

I am not sure if I want to open up the sub and look inside, I am waiting for SVS to get back to me.

Thanks for your concern Bill, I appreciate the advice. You are always very helpful!

Sadly my subwoofer is not in an optimal location. I did a bass crawl (sort of) by putting the subwoofer in the only place it can fit and crawled around the house looking for the best spot. Where I am sitting is actually not very good at all. I understand this has to die with the size of the bass wavelength and how it is large enough to go right over you if you are on the wrong spot. Is that what the Phase dial is for, changing the position of the wavelength?

I am thinking of going home and playing around with that. Will changing the phase change the optimal location of the subwoofer?
post #19 of 22 Old 11-27-2015, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Will changing the phase change the optimal location of the subwoofer?
Probably not. The main issue is usually nulls, which are caused by the distance relationships between the sub, the listening position and the room walls. The phase adjustment won't alter those relationships.
post #20 of 22 Old 11-27-2015, 09:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Couldn't of said it better. When I was in Iraq for the past decade, you wouldn't believe the quality of knock-off products all over the Middle East. About 99% of the stuff out there was fake and only a discerning eye could tell the difference. Lots of electronic stuff to a high end Rolex.
post #21 of 22 Old 11-27-2015, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cvetan1 View Post
When I was in Iraq for the past decade, you wouldn't believe the quality of knock-off products all over the Middle East.
It would be the same here if not for the diligence of not Customs but rather the manufacturers of the real thing. Take golf clubs, for instance. Most of the components come from China and Taiwan anyway, so it's easy for counterfeiters to find factories willing to make fakes. Shafts are easy prey, as all it takes is a different paint job to make a $10 shaft look like a $200 shaft. That situation led to this:
http://www.keepgolfreal.com/
Customs does the seizing of fakes at the ports of entry, but it's primarily the golf manufacturers themselves who track the sources down.
post #22 of 22 Old 11-28-2015, 12:45 AM

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:

Your very right lol!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page