Constant low (deep) rumble from my SVS SB-1000 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #1 of 32 Old 12-02-2015, 02:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Unhappy Constant low (deep) rumble from my SVS SB-1000

Hello AVS!

I have really been greatful for all the help I have recieved so far in my investment into audio equipment.
I do however, need your expertise once more.

I have just purchased a brand new SVS SB-1000 sub and it sounds great, unless everything is turned off...
It makes a constant low rumble when nothing is running (it's probably doing it while there is an audio feed coming trough it, but I can't hear it then)
I have tried almost everything.
The Rumble is there when I just have the power cord in the sub, and nothing else is plugged into it, I have also tried different wall outlets in my home.
The rumble seems to be coming from the speaker (drive?) part of the sub, and is not a humming sound, like you would get from say a Plasma screen.(wich in my googling, people complained was coming from the PSU of their sub's)
The sub didn't come with a 3 prone plug, just a 2 prone one, but since I took all the other equipment out of the wall socket, and just had the sub plugged in, and it still made that sound, I am guessing its not a ground current issue.

I could really use your input and expertise.

Thanks a bunch, in advance :-)

Regards Nick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 12-02-2015, 02:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 290
If it isn't ground loop hum then it's a short somewhere. Try and check it with another cable.
If all alternatives fail, call up SVS. They stand by their products and you should expect a replacement amp or complete sub if faulty.

History is written by those who have hanged heroes ...

Main System: PSB X2T, PSB XC, PSB XB, Cambridge Audio Azur 751R, Rythmik FV15HP, PSB S500
post #3 of 32 Old 12-02-2015, 03:08 AM - Thread Starter

thanks for The reply! so maybe try with and earthed cable instead? or just but an identical cable? (don't Think i have One laying around)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 Old 12-02-2015, 03:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 820 Post(s)
Liked: 507
Disconnect the sub cable and see if the rumble/hum is still there. If it is, defective sub, if not, well, you eliminated the possibility of the sub being defective.

Main: Mitsubishi 73736|OTA|fireTV|Sony BDP-S1100|Denon AVR4311CI|MartinLogan Preface|Phantom|MartinLogan Encore TF|1-1000watt & 1-500watt DIY 12" Subs|2 Bass Shaker|APC H15 Power Conditioner|Harmony Hub|Sennheiser RS 160|SMSL B1 BT Rx|Linksys SE2500
MBR: Vizio VF550M|OTA|fireTV3|Sony BDP-S1100|Denon AVR-X1000|Chane A1rx-c|Dayton SAT-BK|MartinLogan Dynamo 300|Belkin PF30|Harmony 550
post #5 of 32 Old 12-02-2015, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrel! View Post
Disconnect the sub cable and see if the rumble/hum is still there. If it is, defective sub, if not, well, you eliminated the possibility of the sub being defective.

Its still there :-/ might have to send it back then.
damn im always so unlucky when it comes to Electronics :-/ thanks for The help.

post #6 of 32 Old 12-02-2015, 07:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deegan View Post
Its still there :-/ might have to send it back then.
damn im always so unlucky when it comes to Electronics :-/ thanks for The help.

You're certain ity is a rumble and not a hum? Ground loop hum isn't a bad sub...

Main: Mitsubishi 73736|OTA|fireTV|Sony BDP-S1100|Denon AVR4311CI|MartinLogan Preface|Phantom|MartinLogan Encore TF|1-1000watt & 1-500watt DIY 12" Subs|2 Bass Shaker|APC H15 Power Conditioner|Harmony Hub|Sennheiser RS 160|SMSL B1 BT Rx|Linksys SE2500
MBR: Vizio VF550M|OTA|fireTV3|Sony BDP-S1100|Denon AVR-X1000|Chane A1rx-c|Dayton SAT-BK|MartinLogan Dynamo 300|Belkin PF30|Harmony 550
post #7 of 32 Old 12-02-2015, 07:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 704 Post(s)
Liked: 579
I had this problem on my Ultra. I discovered that I had a bad Y-splitter. I would do what others have said, start by unhooking the cable. If you still have the noise then it is the sub. Next try a different subwoofer cable, if that fixes it you know the problem. If it is still there after that I would start wondering about something else in the room interfering with the cable, or even a problem with the AVR itself.

As a side note, if you run a new cable to test that problem out, try taking a different route to the sub, just to see if the difference in position changes anything.

My Theater: The Ugly Theater
post #8 of 32 Old 12-02-2015, 07:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
thanks for The reply! so maybe try with and earthed cable instead? or just but an identical cable? (don't Think i have One laying around)

Disconnect the audio cable, don't change the power cord. If the power cord has a grounding pin, it needs to be grounded.
post #9 of 32 Old 12-03-2015, 12:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrel! View Post
You're certain ity is a rumble and not a hum? Ground loop hum isn't a bad sub...

Well as sure as Can be, i have never Owned a powered sub before, so i don't know what to look for.
but Its def a rumble, kinda Like Thunder in the distance or deep Wind on your window outside. but constant. does that make sense? :-/

post #10 of 32 Old 12-03-2015, 12:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenA07 View Post
I had this problem on my Ultra. I discovered that I had a bad Y-splitter. I would do what others have said, start by unhooking the cable. If you still have the noise then it is the sub. Next try a different subwoofer cable, if that fixes it you know the problem. If it is still there after that I would start wondering about something else in the room interfering with the cable, or even a problem with the AVR itself.

As a side note, if you run a new cable to test that problem out, try taking a different route to the sub, just to see if the difference in position changes anything.

Well there is no cables in The sub BUT The power cable, and it still does it, and there is no change in The Sound when i plug the sub cord in. Its just The same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by highfigh View Post
Disconnect the audio cable, don't change the power cord. If the power cord has a grounding pin, it needs to be grounded.

it came with a 2 pin powercord, would it help to buy a 3 pin?

post #11 of 32 Old 12-03-2015, 01:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Well there is no cables in The sub BUT The power cable, and it still does it, and there is no change in The Sound when i plug the sub cord in. Its just The same.

it came with a 2 pin powercord, would it help to buy a 3 pin?

If it happens with only the power cord connected, it needs to go back although I would check the level control to make sure it's not maxed. Lower the input level a bit and if it stops, see if it operates normally.

If the power cord wasn't grounded, don't bother- it won't help and in some cases, it's better to not ground it with a third pin because distance between the source and sub causes ground loops and you don't want that.
post #12 of 32 Old 12-03-2015, 02:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
If it happens with only the power cord connected, it needs to go back although I would check the level control to make sure it's not maxed. Lower the input level a bit and if it stops, see if it operates normally.

If the power cord wasn't grounded, don't bother- it won't help and in some cases, it's better to not ground it with a third pin because distance between the source and sub causes ground loops and you don't want that.

damn.
Well the input and phase and all that is turned OFF and to LFE per the manual.

post #13 of 32 Old 12-03-2015, 03:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
damn.
Well the input and phase and all that is turned OFF and to LFE per the manual.

If the subwoofer's input level control is all the way to minimum, call first- they may allow you to remove the amplifier and ship that without the whole speaker. Easy enough to remove and disconnect/reconnect.
Squirrel! likes this.
post #14 of 32 Old 12-03-2015, 05:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
If the subwoofer's input level control is all the way to minimum, call first- they may allow you to remove the amplifier and ship that without the whole speaker. Easy enough to remove and disconnect/reconnect.
Well
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Right.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	1095586  

post #15 of 32 Old 12-03-2015, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

thanks, ill try that first :-)

post #16 of 32 Old 12-03-2015, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
thanks, ill try that first :-)

ok new finding, when i have the sub plugged in the power outlet and nothing else connected, it goes Down as i turn the low pass filter dial from 0 to max, and when it reaches max it stops the noise completely. but the manual says for my av receiver to work properly it needs to be at 0 alone with the phase dial. hope that made sense. BTW my findings are the same with the sub connected to the receiver.

post #17 of 32 Old 12-03-2015, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

ok new finding, when i have the sub plugged in the power outlet and nothing else connected, it goes Down as i turn the low pass filter dial from 0 to max, and when it reaches max it stops the noise completely. but the manual says for my av receiver to work properly it needs to be at 0 alone with the phase dial. hope that made sense. BTW my findings are the same with the sub connected to the receiver.

post #18 of 32 Old 12-03-2015, 02:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

If the Low Pass filter is set to minimum, you won't get much from the subwoofer- I think the AVR wants the LP to be at Max, so it can determine what is needed and use the program to make that happen. The phase control is usually set at 0 degrees, as you posted.

Did you call SVS?
post #19 of 32 Old 12-03-2015, 03:40 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 562 Post(s)
Liked: 189
A product should work straight out of the box.
If ones suffer that much, just return the entire thing and try something else.
post #20 of 32 Old 12-04-2015, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
If the Low Pass filter is set to minimum, you won't get much from the subwoofer- I think the AVR wants the LP to be at Max, so it can determine what is needed and use the program to make that happen. The phase control is usually set at 0 degrees, as you posted.

Did you call SVS?

no not yet, i Will monday :-)

post #21 of 32 Old 12-05-2015, 12:27 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinhvo View Post
A product should work straight out of the box.
If ones suffer that much, just return the entire thing and try something else.
Try something else? Nothing is 100%, which is why there is warranty. Along with 5 years of it.

SVS Ultra Bookshelves (Gloss White) / SVS SB13-Ultra / 2x Flex 12's / 2x V.B.S.S's / 2x Dayton 460HO's Marantz SR7008
AKG K712 Pros / SB ZxR
post #22 of 32 Old 02-20-2016, 06:31 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Deegan, what did you find out from SVS? I just purchased a SB-1000 with an identical problem.
post #23 of 32 Old 02-21-2016, 01:19 PM

If anyone is curious, SVS says the hum is normal.
post #24 of 32 Old 02-21-2016, 08:40 PM

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Doe it hum when you set Low Pass filter all the way up??
post #25 of 32 Old 02-21-2016, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evoll88 View Post
Doe it hum when you set Low Pass filter all the way up??
I hear the hum from 160hz to LFE Bypass, but I can feel the driver moving up until 120hz.
post #26 of 32 Old 02-22-2016, 09:06 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 130
I have not noticed this behavior.

Paradigm PW AMP, KEF Q100, Emotiva B1, Rythmik L12
post #27 of 32 Old 02-22-2016, 10:22 AM

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Sounds like a bad amp, I had the same problem in a car where the the speaker would hum/buzz and the sub speakers would move. It turned out that the rca jacks on the amp was messed up so I had to get a new amp which fixed the problem.
post #28 of 32 Old 10-14-2016, 03:27 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
i have the same issue, i returned it to the store.
they say they want to give me a new one, but before i take it home, i will listen in the store
post #29 of 32 Old 10-14-2016, 04:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1245 Post(s)
Liked: 1064
Quote:
Originally Posted by Problemtullip View Post
i have the same issue, i returned it to the store.
they say they want to give me a new one, but before i take it home, i will listen in the store
I have a new PB-1000 with same thing. Very low frequency rumble from speaker when on (not standby) but no audio content. Can be unplugged from avr. Only can hear it with ear up to driver or feel driver vibrating. SVS told me it was normal.
post #30 of 32 Old 03-06-2018, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Hello AVS!

I have really been greatful for all the help I have recieved so far in my investment into audio equipment.
I do however, need your expertise once more.

I have just purchased a brand new SVS SB-1000 sub and it sounds great, unless everything is turned off...
It makes a constant low rumble when nothing is running (it's probably doing it while there is an audio feed coming trough it, but I can't hear it then)
I have tried almost everything.
The Rumble is there when I just have the power cord in the sub, and nothing else is plugged into it, I have also tried different wall outlets in my home.
The rumble seems to be coming from the speaker (drive?) part of the sub, and is not a humming sound, like you would get from say a Plasma screen.(wich in my googling, people complained was coming from the PSU of their sub's)
The sub didn't come with a 3 prone plug, just a 2 prone one, but since I took all the other equipment out of the wall socket, and just had the sub plugged in, and it still made that sound, I am guessing its not a ground current issue.

I could really use your input and expertise.

Thanks a bunch, in advance :-)

Regards Nick
Exactly same problem here. Received my SB1000 today and first thing I noticed when I powered it on: low hum (like distant wind).

Some observations:
- Hum is present even when audio cable isn't connected (but won't go away/change either when it is connected)
- Hum is present when sub is connected to power outlet or to Furrman power conditioner
- Hum gradually appears to go away if I rotate Low-Pass dial from disable towards 30Hz

I contacted SVS to see what they suggest (other than to return the unit ASAP).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page