• 1 Post By Tom Vodhanel
  • 2 Post By smurraybhm

post #1 of 25 Old 12-21-2015, 04:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 19
PSA S1500 or Rythmik E15HP?

Hi, was wondering if anyone has had the opportunity to hear both of these subwoofers?
I plan on purchasing one of these subs but can not audition either of them.
Interested in hearing anyone's thoughts on advantages of either.
I think they will both be great with music but the Rythmik may have the edge there. What about movies which would be better for movies?
Appreciate anyone's thoughts and advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 12-21-2015, 05:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1846 Post(s)
Liked: 2591
Although both subs will do very well with both music and movies, PSA offers free shipping and free return shipping (for an in-home demo cost of $0), so I'd start with that sub.

If you like how it performs, keep it and you're set. If you don't like how it performs, return it and get the Rythmik.
post #3 of 25 Old 12-21-2015, 08:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 2522 Post(s)
Liked: 2119
I don't think anyone here actually have these two subs for comparison. I would suggest you to order both and compare for yourself and us. If you prefer the S1500, you just have to pay to ship the E15 back. The free shipping both ways sounds nice but it is actually factored in your total cost. If you order the S1500 and like it enough to keep it, you don't really know what the E15 sounds like cuz you didn't give it a chance thinking you have to pay shipping. What if the E15 is better?
Blacklightning likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 Old 12-21-2015, 09:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1486 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewjitsu View Post
Hi, was wondering if anyone has had the opportunity to hear both of these subwoofers?
I plan on purchasing one of these subs but can not audition either of them.
Interested in hearing anyone's thoughts on advantages of either.
I think they will both be great with music but the Rythmik may have the edge there. What about movies which would be better for movies?
Appreciate anyone's thoughts and advice.
Reaction Audio has a b-stock Gama 15 in outlet now for $750 (regular price $900.) It is very comparable S1500 - same amplifier and similar driver. I think it comes with a zero cost return policy (the new ones do) and is likely just someone else's return after a 45 days trial. It also has a 5 year everything (including amplifier) warranty.

If you plan to get a retail sealed 15 inch quality subwoofer, you cannot beat that deal.
post #5 of 25 Old 12-21-2015, 02:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2263 Post(s)
Liked: 3109
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvuong View Post
The free shipping both ways sounds nice but it is actually factored in your total cost.
This always seems to come up. Each company must factor in the cost of doing business, while remaining competitive. Otherwise they won’t be around long. When SVS, then PSA (and now RA) decided to add free return shipping to their policies, it didn't show up as raised prices to the consumer. Each of these companies decided not to raise prices. That means they are willing to eat the cost of possible return shipping in hopes of increased sales. But if one wants to state that free return shipping is already built into their pricing structure, fine. I say that it wasn’t and isn’t, but I won’t change anyone’s mind. Adding free return shipping to their policy is a business profit/loss vs sales decision. Subwoofers are getting bigger and heavier, not smaller and lighter. Shipping cost continue to increase, not decrease. And return shipping does indeed get very costly for these manufacturers. Obviously, those companies who have decided to provide this service have seen a significant increase in sales to help mitigate those losses, which was their hope to begin with. It’s a fine line for many companies. PSA, like SVS before them, has become a surprising juggernaut in the I.D. subwoofer world. That summer offer a couple of years ago of free return shipping has turned out well for PSA. So well in fact, that it is now part of their policy for all but a couple of subwoofers.

That other I.D. companies don’t offer this is also a business decision. A company must have large enough sales to mitigate the loss in revenue, otherwise they won’t be in business. I don’t blame any company for not offering this service. It’s a very risky business decision. But for those who have decided to take the risk and incorporate this type of policy, it has given the consumer a “risk-free” reason to try their products.

Music area: Magnepan 3.6, McIntosh MC2205 amp & C48 preamp, SVS SB13-Ultra, Oppo BDP 95, dbx 3BX, and assorted equipment.
Movie area: EMP Tek E5Bi (were rebadged to R5Bi), RBH/EMP Tek R55Ti, PSA S3000i, Denon X2000, Oppo BDP 83.
post #6 of 25 Old 12-21-2015, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the suggestions eljaycanuck, tvuong, checker9 and dsrussell they are appreciated.

I should have made it more clear when I said I cant audition the subs it was because I live in Australia and even though the two companies are fantastic they are still not nice enough to do return shipping to Australia yet, plus that might annoy there distributors here.

I guess I was hoping someone may have done what you have suggested above and had both these subs at home to compare before sending one back.

I know they will both be great and both handle music and movies well. I guess my issue is that I don't really understand all the graphs and terminology well enough to know if one of these subs has an advantage over the other and why. Im learning and trying but struggling
I think Rythmik has better adjustment? May be better with music. But I will mainly be using it with movies and in a 5000^3 room. I know I should go ported but Im not due to size and WAF.

Would really love any advice from someone who can understand all the graphs and terminology if they think one has a slight advantage over the other. Price is essentially the same however I can get the sweet looking gloss piano black in the Rythmik for the same price as the Matt finish on the PSA. However the PSA is slightly smaller and has more WAF.

Any thoughts and any advice really appreciated
post #7 of 25 Old 12-21-2015, 02:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2263 Post(s)
Liked: 3109
Being in Australia is a whole different ballgame. You don’t have the luxury of “risk-free”. Sadly, I’ve never heard a Rythmik sub. I really wanted to audition them and was willing to pay the price for shipping both ways to do just that, but there was a six-month backorder on the subs I was looking at when I was auditioning.

I think you have two very good subwoofers that you are considering, so I doubt you’ll hear a big difference between them. Both are relatively small sealed designs and both should provide you with solid bass for HT. Rythmik has a reputation of being a very good subwoofer for music, and their FV15HP has always been consider a great performer for a large ported design.

Perhaps you need to find out the trial and return policy in Australia before making your decision. Either way, I wish you the best.

Music area: Magnepan 3.6, McIntosh MC2205 amp & C48 preamp, SVS SB13-Ultra, Oppo BDP 95, dbx 3BX, and assorted equipment.
Movie area: EMP Tek E5Bi (were rebadged to R5Bi), RBH/EMP Tek R55Ti, PSA S3000i, Denon X2000, Oppo BDP 83.
post #8 of 25 Old 12-22-2015, 03:34 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks dsrussell unfortunately no policy in Australia. You buy it you keep it thus my interest in people's opinions because I only get one shot at it. Thinking since I can't really see much difference between the two I may as well get the PSA as it is smaller. I would love to know which one handles movies better but in sure both will perform well.
post #9 of 25 Old 12-22-2015, 08:29 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:

I know they will both be great and both handle music and movies well. I guess my issue is that I don't really understand all the graphs and terminology well enough to know if one of these subs has an advantage over the other and why. Im learning and trying but struggling
I think Rythmik has better adjustment? May be better with music. But I will mainly be using it with movies and in a 5000^3 room. I know I should go ported but Im not due to size and WAF.

Would really love any advice from someone who can understand all the graphs and terminology if they think one has a slight advantage over the other. Price is essentially the same however I can get the sweet looking gloss piano black in the Rythmik for the same price as the Matt finish on the PSA. However the PSA is slightly smaller and has more WAF.

Any thoughts and any advice really appreciated
Dont worry too much about it my friend, both are good subs and u wont go wrong with either. Dont lose sleep over this.

But if i were u, given a choice, since u are already shipping it from afar, and no local agent, i would lean towards having a sub that has more useful functions to configure your bass, and able to have a subsonic filter that can prolong the life of your sub.

In the sub market, it's easy to get a sub that can give u the output/ grunt, but for it to be also musical, that's probably much harder and u have to pay a lot more for it. But not for Rythmik, it has both in the same package and within reasonable price.

I will refer u to Jim Wilson's review of the E15HP, which articulates bass quality and the differences is bass quite well. Enjoy
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-su...l#post24544440
post #10 of 25 Old 12-22-2015, 10:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2285 Post(s)
Liked: 3119
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenz View Post
Dont worry too much about it my friend, both are good subs and u wont go wrong with either. Dont lose sleep over this.

But if i were u, given a choice, since u are already shipping it from afar, and no local agent, i would lean towards having a sub that has more useful functions to configure your bass, and able to have a subsonic filter that can prolong the life of your sub.

In the sub market, it's easy to get a sub that can give u the output/ grunt, but for it to be also musical, that's probably much harder and u have to pay a lot more for it. But not for Rythmik, it has both in the same package and within reasonable price.

I will refer u to Jim Wilson's review of the E15HP, which articulates bass quality and the differences is bass quite well. Enjoy
Strong start with the first sentence and then you lost me. I will never figure out the musical comment. It has been said many times by those with more experience listening to subs then I have that if a sub is well designed then its going to sound good for music and HT. Rythmik makes very good subs, but the comments about how musical they are compared to other well designed subs is just

If a sub doesn't do both equally well, it is a sub that should not be bought. That being said the OP can't go wrong with either sub, they may also want to check directly with the ID options in the States to see if they have someone selling their subs in their country. I can't speak for Rythmik or RA, but I know that SVS and PSA have dealers in other countries.
CruelInventions likes this.

There is no perfect display, quit looking for faults and enjoy

LG OLED 65” B7 and 55” C8
Ascend's with RAAL, Love my PSA v1800 and a 7.2.4 speaker config, Oppo 203 and other stuff
post #11 of 25 Old 12-22-2015, 12:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

^^ I believe subs are not created equally. @dsrussell prefers his sb13 for music over his other sub. It's up to the op if he can tell the difference and if it's worth the price difference.
dsrussell and ceetee1115 like this.
post #12 of 25 Old 12-22-2015, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenz View Post

Hi Sevenz could you or someone else explain what the Rythmik's more useful functions are for configuring? What features does the rythmik have that the PSA doesn't and how does that benefit.

Someone mentioned that the PSA would draw far less current in standby mode...something like 1/2 a watt vs 20 watts

Both PSA and Rythmik do have distributors in Australia and that's where I have been getting my pricing from. Im going to contact them and see if there is an option to audition them at home. I think they will allow it but I might have to pay the freight which could be rather expensive?
post #13 of 25 Old 12-22-2015, 07:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 252 Post(s)
Quoted: 3592 Post(s)
Liked: 4276
Quote:
Thanks dsrussell unfortunately no policy in Australia. You buy it you keep it thus my interest in people's opinions because I only get one shot at it. Thinking since I can't really see much difference between the two I may as well get the PSA as it is smaller. I would love to know which one handles movies better but in sure both will perform well.
Contact our Australian dealer, Audio Salon and ask them for a quote. They can get the subwoofer you want in one week or so. Also you get local support and warranty.

http://www.audiosalon.com.au/Rythmik_Audio.html

Enrico Castagnetti @ Rythmik Audio - Dialing In Rythmik Audio Subwoofers
Media Room: Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Horizon w/RAAL, Sierra 2s & Lunas | Rythmik F12SE(x2) + FV25HP | Denon X6500H | Panny 820 + ATV 4K | Bluesound Node 2 | 92" Stewart ST100 | Sony VW295ES |
Desktop: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII | Rythmik L22 | Apogee Quartet | 27" iMac| Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz SR6013 | Sony X700 + ATV 4K | Sony XBR-65Z9D |
post #14 of 25 Old 12-22-2015, 09:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post
Contact our Australian dealer, Audio Salon and ask them for a quote. They can get the subwoofer you want in one week or so. Also you get local support and warranty.

http://www.audiosalon.com.au/Rythmik_Audio.html
Thanks enricoclaudio I have contacted both Audio Salon and Deep Hz the distributors here in Australia for PSA and Rythmik. I will contact them and see if there are any home trial offers such as what is available in the USA. They may do which would be great but I don't think distributors will be too happy to pay freight both ways.
Could you answer for me my question regarding what and how the Rythmik offers more configurability with their subs that sevenz alluded to. And how many watts the Rythmik draws in standby.
post #15 of 25 Old 12-23-2015, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Hi Sevenz could you or someone else explain what the Rythmik's more useful functions are for configuring? What features does the rythmik have that the PSA doesn't and how does that benefit.
Let me try my best cos i'm not good at explaining technical stuff

The extension settings - allows u to configure if u want the sub to have maximum extension to different frequencies. (ie how deep u want the sub to dig) There is damping setting to calibrate your sound to have a sharper and quicker bass; or, a fuller wholesome type of bass by controlling the roll-off

PEQ function - allows u to boost a dip in your room. Many rooms have 1-2 major dips (imagine dips as the frequencies which u see the DB plunging down severely in the FR graph) , and this PEQ can help u eliminate the biggest dip in your room. Not many sub brands offer this at this type of price point.

Rumble filter - when u listen very loud, and esp when u set your sub to dig deep (max extension), it may cause your woofer/driver to bottom out (over driven) and thus damaging the woofer/driver easily. This rumble filter sets a limit to the lower frequencies and helps protect your driver from being damaged.

Limiter function - there is also a limiter function that helps protect the sub. not sure how to explain this =)

more info here: http://www.rythmikaudio.com/amplifier_controls.html

I shall let Enrico have the honor to answer in detail. Hope this helps my friend.

Last edited by sevenz; 12-23-2015 at 03:43 AM.
post #16 of 25 Old 12-23-2015, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks sevenz so are all these functions listed above not on the PSA S1500?
post #17 of 25 Old 12-23-2015, 04:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked: 1028
Another criteria to consider. Since you are buying it for Australia, perhaps get the one that is better known down under, for if and when you decide to resell it at some point and that will be easier to do with a known product.
post #18 of 25 Old 12-24-2015, 06:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 111 Post(s)
Quoted: 2845 Post(s)
Liked: 9144
Quote:

The S1500 uses a customized DSP enabled amplifier that allows far greater engineering refinement versus a non DSP amplifier. There is no need for a "rumble filter" option or a "limiter option" as the system design already handles these functions for you with micro-processor control. The system is designed to be inherently "bullet proof". You cannot "bottom out" the driver for example.

The room size control will allow you a fairly wide range of extension customization.

The ICE amplifier modules we use on our products are also ROHS and Energy Star compliant. These certifications offer various advantages but one example is the standby mode energy savings. Our amplifier will draw about 0.5 watts in standby. Many other amps will be in the 15-20 watt range. This one benefit alone can add up to hundreds of dollars in energy savings over the life of the product.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
CruelInventions likes this.
post #19 of 25 Old 12-26-2015, 04:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vodhanel View Post
The S1500 uses a customized DSP enabled amplifier that allows far greater engineering refinement versus a non DSP amplifier. There is no need for a "rumble filter" option or a "limiter option" as the system design already handles these functions for you with micro-processor control. The system is designed to be inherently "bullet proof". You cannot "bottom out" the driver for example.

The room size control will allow you a fairly wide range of extension customization.

The ICE amplifier modules we use on our products are also ROHS and Energy Star compliant. These certifications offer various advantages but one example is the standby mode energy savings. Our amplifier will draw about 0.5 watts in standby. Many other amps will be in the 15-20 watt range. This one benefit alone can add up to hundreds of dollars in energy savings over the life of the product.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
Thanks for the information Tom. Does the PSA s1500 have anything similar to the peq function offered on the Rythmik?
post #20 of 25 Old 12-26-2015, 06:49 AM

Quote:
dont think so based on what i see on the back panel of the sub on the web.
post #21 of 25 Old 12-26-2015, 07:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 111 Post(s)
Quoted: 2845 Post(s)
Liked: 9144
Quote:
Thanks for the information Tom. Does the PSA s1500 have anything similar to the peq function offered on the Rythmik?
No, no manual EQing. We have chosen not to implement anything like that for a couple reasons. 1)You will need to take in room FR curves to properly set any type of manual EQ. The large majority of our customers don't have that capability. 2)99% of our customers already have much more advanced room correction on hand(Audyssey for example). Also, if additional bass correction is desired adding something like the miniDSP or Anti Mode products will give you magnitudes more power and flexibility.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
post #22 of 25 Old 12-26-2015, 08:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I (and many others) have subs calibrated by Audyssey and find the peq on Rythmik quite helpful to minimize the dip or peak after calibration without spending extra money on a minidsp or other room correction equipment. Of course, one will need to see graphs in order to properly correct those.
post #23 of 25 Old 12-26-2015, 07:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2285 Post(s)
Liked: 3119
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvuong View Post
I (and many others) have subs calibrated by Audyssey and find the peq on Rythmik quite helpful to minimize the dip or peak after calibration without spending extra money on a minidsp or other room correction equipment. Of course, one will need to see graphs in order to properly correct those.
If one is that concerned going into it, the MiniDSP isn't a huge investment and it's a lot easier to use then REW. Even with REW your having to invest in a calibrated mic.

Maybe Rythmik subs are just tougher to set up
That's a joke just to be clear.
basshead81 and Mike Butny like this.

There is no perfect display, quit looking for faults and enjoy

LG OLED 65” B7 and 55” C8
Ascend's with RAAL, Love my PSA v1800 and a 7.2.4 speaker config, Oppo 203 and other stuff
post #24 of 25 Old 12-27-2015, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post
If one is that concerned going into it, the MiniDSP isn't a huge investment and it's a lot easier to use then REW. Even with REW your having to invest in a calibrated mic.
Agree too. If we are really keen into improving the bass in our system, getting a MiniDSP or REW with USB mic would be recommended as you will be able to see what happens in your room and decide how to fix those dips/ peaks.
post #25 of 25 Old 12-27-2015, 01:11 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 8734
I would go with the 15s over the s1500 anyway...basically the same performance for less coin.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page