Need 2.1 Speaker Setup Help... - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By bear123

post #1 of 20 Old 12-25-2015, 10:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Exclamation Need 2.1 Speaker Setup Help...

Hey guys im new to AVS, and i'm, in need of new speakers. My old forums are dead.
Just a little bit about me, I love EDM, Trap, and other Electronic music.

This music I listen to as well.
Bass Nation on YouTube.

I am looking for a 2.1 Setup, with a powerful sub, for under $80.

This is what I looked at, from Logitech, is it good? If not suggest some more and please tell me what the 9 pin output on the sub is for.

Cant post links, but its the Logitech Z523.

Thanks AVS!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 12-26-2015, 12:19 AM

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 4588 Post(s)
Liked: 4797
I can't even think of any powerful subs for under $80. Let alone a 2.1 system. No info of use on the Logitech site for the Z523 I can see. I know some are happy with their Logitech computer speaker sets like this, though, depends what you're used to I suppose . Assume this is for your computer? Do you have any other audio gear, particularly a receiver?
post #3 of 20 Old 12-26-2015, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post
I can't even think of any powerful subs for under $80. Let alone a 2.1 system. No info of use on the Logitech site for the Z523 I can see. I know some are happy with their Logitech computer speaker sets like this, though, depends what you're used to I suppose . Assume this is for your computer? Do you have any other audio gear, particularly a receiver?
This is for my computer, and look at it on Amazon.com, and there will be more info, including reviews.
(Also, subs at $80 are mostly 6.5-7 inch driver ones)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 12-26-2015, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beejebus View Post
This is for my computer, and look at it on Amazon.com, and there will be more info, including reviews.
(Also, subs at $80 are mostly 6.5-7 inch driver ones)
Not really any more information that way. No useful specs. No manual, no real details. Amazon reviews are meh.

This is not what I'd consider a real subwoofer, more a midbass module, it just doesn't go low enough with sufficient spl to qualify. I was also looking for more info on the speaker connections, they're probably proprietary so of limited use with standard audio components. Again, might be fine for a computer with limited audio goals....especially for only $80.
post #5 of 20 Old 12-26-2015, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, thanks for the help. I've decided on these which I am buying today.

"Genius GX-Gaming SW-G2.1 3000"

There are sound tests on YouTube, and they can play great bass, boosted or not.
post #6 of 20 Old 12-26-2015, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter

They will also collab to my setup theme.
post #7 of 20 Old 12-26-2015, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Ok, thanks for the help. I've decided on these which I am buying today.

"Genius GX-Gaming SW-G2.1 3000"

There are sound tests on YouTube, and they can play great bass, boosted or not.
Man those are kinda fugly, and doubt they can play great bass. You just don't know yet what great bass is I think....cuz once you do, there's no going back.
post #8 of 20 Old 12-26-2015, 03:25 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked: 585
Dang that's an ugly set of speakers. And a whole whopping 40W of power to the 6.5" 'sub'.

You are far better off spending a few bucks more and getting the Logitech Z623. It has 200W RMS of power.
post #9 of 20 Old 12-26-2015, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter

I understand, but I really dont need broken windows, but I see what you mean.

My room is about 20 feet all around, and Ive cranked my dads bass amp at only 100 W of power. That's even too loud.
post #10 of 20 Old 12-26-2015, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter

Plus, i'm on a budget.
post #11 of 20 Old 12-26-2015, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Man those are kinda fugly, and doubt they can play great bass. You just don't know yet what great bass is I think....cuz once you do, there's no going back.
What would you suggest for good bass anyway so I know what you mean?
post #12 of 20 Old 12-26-2015, 06:17 PM

Quote:
What would you suggest for good bass anyway so I know what you mean?
I'm just yanking your chain a bit, the bass bug can get big around here . I realize you're on a budget and between bass and budget, follow the budget first, always good to stay within your means or even wait and save for a more worthy step up...

Hard to compare experiences over the internet. You go to live shows? Clubs or theaters? What's your dad got in the way of a bass amp, is that for a guitar?

As to where I am now, aside from a long history of going to live shows of all sorts as well as clubs and great movie theaters....(stop reading if your eyes are glazing already). No real subwoofage for years with very nice dedicated 2ch gear and then a modest 5.0 set (although the LR speakers had some sad excuse of "subs", the Cambridge Soundworks Ensemble speakers). Then moved and changed things up, I got an Energy Take 5.1 set with an 8" ported sub for my bedroom; my roommate had a nicer setup in the living room with a 10" Infinity ported sub. It got worse from there. I bought an Epik Empire, a dual-opposed 15" sealed design. Now we're cooking but I had a really big room so had to add a couple more subs I found on sale, Infinity subs with 10" driver with two 10" passive radiators each and the multiple subs even with limitations was even better. Added a Klipsch RW12d later for the bedroom. Moved and now had a workshop so have been building some subs lately, now up to 3 18" sealed subs plus that Epik in the living room. Just waiting for warmer weather to go build some more, have several drivers waiting boxes now....

Last edited by lovinthehd; 12-26-2015 at 06:24 PM.
post #13 of 20 Old 12-26-2015, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I'm just yanking your chain a bit, the bass bug can get big around here . I realize you're on a budget and between bass and budget, follow the budget first, always good to stay within your means or even wait and save for a more worthy step up...

Hard to compare experiences over the internet. You go to live shows? Clubs or theaters? What's your dad got in the way of a bass amp, is that for a guitar?

As to where I am now, aside from a long history of going to live shows of all sorts as well as clubs and great movie theaters....(stop reading if your eyes are glazing already). No real subwoofage for years with very nice dedicated 2ch gear and then a modest 5.0 set (although the LR speakers had some sad excuse of "subs", the Cambridge Soundworks Ensemble speakers). Then moved and changed things up, I got an Energy Take 5.1 set with an 8" ported sub for my bedroom; my roommate had a nicer setup in the living room with a 10" Infinity ported sub. It got worse from there. I bought an Epik Empire, a dual-opposed 15" sealed design. Now we're cooking but I had a really big room so had to add a couple more subs I found on sale, Infinity subs with 10" driver with two 10" passive radiators each and the multiple subs even with limitations was even better. Added a Klipsch RW12d later for the bedroom. Moved and now had a workshop so have been building some subs lately, now up to 3 18" sealed subs plus that Epik in the living room. Just waiting for warmer weather to go build some more, have several drivers waiting boxes now....
Yeah, its the newest CRATE bass amp, and yes, its for guitars.
post #14 of 20 Old 12-26-2015, 08:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 2842 Post(s)
Liked: 4324
The cheapest subwoofer that I am aware of that one could remotely consider a "real" subwoofer would be the Dayton Sub1200. They can be had for $119. Anything less than that and its just a mid bass woofer. As far as speakers go for an extremely tight budget, I doubt anything made can compare to the Dayton B652 bookshelf speakers. Currently on sale for $29/pair. They use a 6.5" woofer. I'm possibly about to pick up a set soon for my basement/workout room. Going to power them with a $20 amp, really curious to find out what kind of sound I get for $50. I have a cheap 10" Polk sub in the attic that plays down to 38 Hz, decent for most normal music. But if I didn't have that, I'd be grabbing the Dayton Sub1200 as the most dirt cheap sub option that doesn't suck.
post #15 of 20 Old 12-26-2015, 08:49 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 56
if your budget is $80, you are truly better off trying to score something like an Audioengine A2 on Ebay. 2.1 computer systems for $80 sound like crap compared to them. there are other good systems too. what i can guarantee is that a basic $80 2.1 computer system investment is not a long term thing. also look at creative t40 speakers. with that budget, stick to 2.0. my opinion.
post #16 of 20 Old 12-26-2015, 10:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123 View Post
The cheapest subwoofer that I am aware of that one could remotely consider a "real" subwoofer would be the Dayton Sub1200. They can be had for $119. Anything less than that and its just a mid bass woofer. As far as speakers go for an extremely tight budget, I doubt anything made can compare to the Dayton B652 bookshelf speakers. Currently on sale for $29/pair. They use a 6.5" woofer. I'm possibly about to pick up a set soon for my basement/workout room. Going to power them with a $20 amp, really curious to find out what kind of sound I get for $50. I have a cheap 10" Polk sub in the attic that plays down to 38 Hz, decent for most normal music. But if I didn't have that, I'd be grabbing the Dayton Sub1200 as the most dirt cheap sub option that doesn't suck.
I really dont wanna do over $100 with anything. I should have told you this beforehand, (I will edit my profile) but i'm 14.
But, I LOVE bass, and cant get away from it. I will look into long term investing into decent subs, but for now I need cheap.
That Dayton sub looks fabulous, but again, $119 dollar price tag. The bookshelf speakers look nice, and go up my alley.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"if your budget is $80, you are truly better off trying to score something like an Audioengine A2 on Ebay. 2.1 computer systems for $80 sound like crap compared to them. there are other good systems too. what i can guarantee is that a basic $80 2.1 computer system investment is not a long term thing. also look at creative t40 speakers. with that budget, stick to 2.0. my opinion."

I saw those, but I dont trust eBay enough, as they could be a pair of stressed subs.
post #17 of 20 Old 12-26-2015, 11:01 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
I saw those, but I dont trust eBay enough, as they could be a pair of stressed subs.
there are many other used forums... i truly sugest giving your limited budget you research the used market, you will get ENORMOUS returns on that.

if you sit close by your speakers in front of a computer, the Audioengine A2 are awesome. my main system is over $10k, and yet i enormously enjoy my secondary system which consists of my work computer, an Arcam rpac DAC, and the audioengine a2 speakers. i sit right in front of them, no sub required, really. and if you plug a $400 Shure SRH1540 into the arcam rpac, you have audio nirvana. when i was 14 there was nothing anywhere remotely close. of course when i was 16 i lived off my Dad's hifi reject equipment :-) but when i bought myself my real system as a student at 18, it cost me far more than i'd spend today (SQ compared), and it was total utter garbage in comparison. you know that's the case when compact cassettes sounded audiophile. :-) so you're lucky. :-D
post #18 of 20 Old 12-27-2015, 05:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 2842 Post(s)
Liked: 4324
Quote:
I really dont wanna do over $100 with anything. I should have told you this beforehand, (I will edit my profile) but i'm 14.
But, I LOVE bass, and cant get away from it. I will look into long term investing into decent subs, but for now I need cheap.
That Dayton sub looks fabulous, but again, $119 dollar price tag. The bookshelf speakers look nice, and go up my alley.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's all good, I assumed you were young based on budget. I thought it might help to point out those speakers to you....they will be much better than any computer speakers in that price range but they are not powered like computer speakers normally would be. For $30 they would make a good start on a first music system. I would keep my eyes on classifieds where you might find a used sub. Or, keep your eye on Parts-Express, you might find their 10" sub on sale for $99 someday(Sub1000). Good luck. If you can find someone local with a sub for sale like a Polk or Klipsch or something where you don't have to pay shipping you might score one that way. If you find one, hop on here and ask about it.
pablolie likes this.
post #19 of 20 Old 12-27-2015, 11:00 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 571 Post(s)
Liked: 633
Hi Bee, welcome to AVS. I'd recommend this package: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/klipsch-...=1218095770265

I might be mistaken but I'm pretty sure I've seen this sold for around 100 bucks at times if you can find the right deal. A bit over your budget but they have good clarity for the money. There is a lot of good stuff to learn on this site about subs and some really cool DIY builds over here: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/

I remember my first setup when I was your age was a half taken apart 1.0 (mono) Fisher-price tape recorder connected to a dangerous load of used car speakers. Welcome to the addiction of audio.
post #20 of 20 Old 12-27-2015, 11:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreds View Post
Hi Bee, welcome to AVS. I'd recommend this package: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/klipsch-...=1218095770265

I might be mistaken but I'm pretty sure I've seen this sold for around 100 bucks at times if you can find the right deal. A bit over your budget but they have good clarity for the money. There is a lot of good stuff to learn on this site about subs and some really cool DIY builds over here: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/

I remember my first setup when I was your age was a half taken apart 1.0 (mono) Fisher-price tape recorder connected to a dangerous load of used car speakers. Welcome to the addiction of audio.
Thanks for the suggestion! I have looked at Klipsch before, they sure do look good!
That DIY looks sweet too!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page