• 3 Post By Bill Fitzmaurice
  • 1 Post By Patzig

post #1 of 23 Old 01-08-2016, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 34
too much bass???!!!!

My buddy came over to watch Age of Ultron in my theater the other night. He actually said I have too much bass in the theater. It was not muddy, mind you, but it did hit you in the chest and rock the seats. I don't think there is such a thing as too much bass! Thank you HSU and SVS!!!!
eljaycanuck, januza and grtuck like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 01-08-2016, 01:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked: 685
If the LF level is too high, even if no muddy, it will sound kind of OFF and feel not right, unrealistic for trained listeners. Do you have any FR measurements of your room?

Dedicated Sonus Faber HT 7.2.4 | FRONTS: Sonus Faber Venere 2.0 CENTER: Sonus Faber Venere Centre FRONT WIDES: Sonus Faber Venere 1.5 SURROUNDS: Sonus Faber Venere 1.5 TF/TR - ATMOS-DTS:X: Sonus Faber Venere Wall (4) | RECEIVER: Marantz SR7010 AMPLIFICATION: Monolith 7x200 | SUBWOOFERS: Dual 18" Dayton RSS460 Custom Build | Behringer iNuke 6000DSP | Velodyne SMS-1 DISPLAY: JVC D-ILA RS-46 w/ 128" 16:9 1.4 TREATMENT: Custom Bass Traps and Acoustic Panels (11)
post #3 of 23 Old 01-08-2016, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsgrise View Post
If the LF level is too high, even if no muddy, it will sound kind of OFF and feel not right, unrealistic for trained listeners. Do you have any FR measurements of your room?
He is definitely not a trained listener. I do not have a FR of the room but I have had surround sound systems with subwoofers since the late 80's. This is the first time that my room replicates what a commercial movie theater sounds like. To me it sounds great!
mthomas47 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 01-08-2016, 01:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked: 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWolf View Post
To me it sounds great!
Well I guess you have your answer!
WildWolf likes this.

Dedicated Sonus Faber HT 7.2.4 | FRONTS: Sonus Faber Venere 2.0 CENTER: Sonus Faber Venere Centre FRONT WIDES: Sonus Faber Venere 1.5 SURROUNDS: Sonus Faber Venere 1.5 TF/TR - ATMOS-DTS:X: Sonus Faber Venere Wall (4) | RECEIVER: Marantz SR7010 AMPLIFICATION: Monolith 7x200 | SUBWOOFERS: Dual 18" Dayton RSS460 Custom Build | Behringer iNuke 6000DSP | Velodyne SMS-1 DISPLAY: JVC D-ILA RS-46 w/ 128" 16:9 1.4 TREATMENT: Custom Bass Traps and Acoustic Panels (11)
post #5 of 23 Old 01-08-2016, 01:58 PM
AVS ***** Member

Mentioned: 324 Post(s)
Quoted: 5383 Post(s)
Liked: 10078
Quote:
He is definitely not a trained listener. I do not have a FR of the room but I have had surround sound systems with subwoofers since the late 80's. This is the first time that my room replicates what a commercial movie theater sounds like. To me it sounds great!

Hi,

How much bass people like is definitely one of those individual preference kinds of things. If it sounds great to you, that's the ultimate goal for audio entertainment, IMO.

Regards,
Mike
WildWolf likes this.

GUIDE TO SUBWOOFER CALIBRATION AND BASS PREFERENCES

* The Guide linked above is a comprehensive guide to Audio & HT systems, including:
Speaker placements & Room treatments; HT calibration & Room EQ; Room gain; Bass
Preferences; Subwoofer Buyer's Guide: Sealed/ported; ID subs; Subwoofer placement.
post #6 of 23 Old 01-08-2016, 03:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1865 Post(s)
Liked: 2615
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWolf
My buddy came over to watch Age of Ultron in my theater the other night. He actually said I have too much bass in the theater. It was not muddy, mind you, but it did hit you in the chest and rock the seats. I don't think there is such a thing as too much bass! ...
"Too much bass" is subjective. What matters is whether you have enough (clean) bass to make you happy. Sounds like you do.

Nice HT set-up, BTW.

Last edited by eljaycanuck; 01-08-2016 at 03:38 PM.
post #7 of 23 Old 01-08-2016, 03:33 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 6148 Post(s)
Liked: 5373
Quote:
Granted, I kind of live in the sticks...but my HT sounds light-years better than any commercial theater around these parts.
mesasone, derrickdj1 and grtuck like this.
post #8 of 23 Old 01-08-2016, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck View Post
"Too much bass" is subjective. What matters is whether you have enough (clean) bass to make you happy. Sounds like you do.

Nice HT set-up, BTW.
Thank you
post #9 of 23 Old 01-08-2016, 03:58 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
My buddy came over to watch Age of Ultron in my theater the other night. He actually said I have too much bass in the theater. It was not muddy, mind you, but it did hit you in the chest and rock the seats. I don't think there is such a thing as too much bass! Thank you HSU and SVS!!!!

Time to find new friends!!

just kidding
grtuck and WildWolf like this.

post #10 of 23 Old 01-08-2016, 04:03 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
I do not have a FR of the room but I have had surround sound systems with subwoofers since the late 80's. This is the first time that my room replicates what a commercial movie theater sounds like.
If you haven't done scans on the room, and corrections of the results shown- then no, it sounds nowhere as good as you think it does.

Bringing down the peaks, and then raising the volume back up to make up for the perceived loss of the peaks..which effectively raises the lower levels you weren't really hearing before and getting rid of the boomy bass parts- is HUGE!!

Honestly, you would be amazed at what a few hours of moving the sub around and EQing it will do. I wish I could capture the experience of what my simple (and less than ideal) system sounds like before and after to show people- major difference.
WildWolf, Alan P, mesasone and 1 others like this.
post #11 of 23 Old 01-08-2016, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerdubs View Post
If you haven't done scans on the room, and corrections of the results shown- then no, it sounds nowhere as good as you think it does.

Bringing down the peaks, and then raising the volume back up to make up for the perceived loss of the peaks..which effectively raises the lower levels you weren't really hearing before and getting rid of the boomy bass parts- is HUGE!!

Honestly, you would be amazed at what a few hours of moving the sub around and EQing it will do. I wish I could capture the experience of what my simple (and less than ideal) system sounds like before and after to show people- major difference.
How do you do scans of the room and what do you use to EQ the sub? I am using an outlaw 990 preamp/ processor.
post #12 of 23 Old 01-08-2016, 05:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 207
What we all tend to forget in these forums is that subs really aren't meant to be noticed while they're running. We really don't need to run subs hot as we do. Subs should only be noticed with they're turned off. If the bass is punching you in the chest, then it's probably way over exaggerated.
audiofan1 likes this.

Projector: Benq W1070 1080p 2D/3D
AVR: Denon X2200W
Mains: Klipsch RF-62ii x 2
Center: Klipsch RC-62ii
Surrounds: Klipsch RS-42ii x 4
Subs: Dual Hsu VTF-15H's
post #13 of 23 Old 01-08-2016, 05:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 939 Post(s)
Liked: 909
Quote:
Maybe there is more bass in the other LP.
post #14 of 23 Old 01-08-2016, 05:23 PM

Quote:
How do you do scans of the room and what do you use to EQ the sub? I am using an outlaw 990 preamp/ processor.
For scans, I purchased a simple USB mic that plugs into my laptop- and the free REW software. It is really quite simple. The mic costs $75 from the manufacturer online, but I bought mine from Amazon, same product, quicker shipping, still under $100. There are other mics that can work as well.

For the adjustments, on my sub, I am using a Dspeaker Anti-mode 8033s-II but there are many many options- most AVR have options. Another option- many people use a product called mini-dsp (which happens to be the same company that made my mic) that is inexpensive, and capable of making adjustments that can improve your sound. The advantage of the anti-mode is that it does the work for you- you simply push a button and sit back while it auto adjusts. But before you use it to adjust- use the REW software (free) and a laptop & mic to scan your sub in various positions with the mic located at your main listening position. Once you find the best results with sub placement- use some sort of eq, etc to improve the room response.
post #15 of 23 Old 01-08-2016, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you
post #16 of 23 Old 01-08-2016, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime316 View Post
What we all tend to forget in these forums is that subs really aren't meant to be noticed while they're running. We really don't need to run subs hot as we do. Subs should only be noticed with they're turned off. If the bass is punching you in the chest, then it's probably way over exaggerated.
I want to feel a car door slam and an explosion. There is nothing like feeling the bass hit u in the chest!!!
post #17 of 23 Old 01-08-2016, 05:48 PM

Quote:

While I understand what you are intending to say- I disagree with the first sentence. Properly integrated, subs can have substantial impact and rumble when called upon, while not overwhelming the scene when not needed. And for most people who have normal tv (no stereos hooked up, much less a sub) they will notice the sub even without it being too loud or booming frequencies simply because they are hearing things they never did before.

Think of a scene with a rocket launching, or a train barreling towards you... they are supposed to have impact and punch- as that is how they would sound in real life.

The problem with subs, is that yes most people run them hot to get more rumble or feel, and also tend to just stick them somewhere and turn them on- but that makes certain freq stand out above the rest which is annoying. Correctly adjusted, the result is great though- even when still substantial when called upon.
WildWolf likes this.
post #18 of 23 Old 01-09-2016, 06:23 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 557 Post(s)
Liked: 187
I'm not sure that I was a friend of OP but I have seen/watched/viewed/listened to a few HT systems that owners crank up sub's gain just to show people that they have a new powerful sub.
A shot fired, a bullet zips through air ........ sounds like bomb explosion, LOL
Another case, Jason Statham punches the dude in the face ............. sounds like a dinosaur just stumbles on land, rumblingggggggggggggggggggggg.
I know quite a few people don't even calibrate their sub, left alone running measurements.
post #19 of 23 Old 01-09-2016, 06:37 PM

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 6148 Post(s)
Liked: 5373
Quote:
See the REW link in my sig.

Beware, it's a very deep, dark rabbit hole.
post #20 of 23 Old 01-09-2016, 06:52 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 5768
Quote:
I agree to the extent that subs shouldn't drown out everything else. If you're going to play them loud play everything loud.
audiofan1, BassThatHz and Patzig like this.
post #21 of 23 Old 01-11-2016, 12:28 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 363
Quote:
I think you are about 1.2% right seen in the contrast to this forum and how the general public like they subs running. When firing off a Magnum 44 you`ll get the idea, a punch in the chest is needed. Sorry to say most subs don't have the power and db to authenticate in real life extreme sounds.

GOOD TIMES:

Listening Preference
post #22 of 23 Old 01-12-2016, 06:38 PM

Mentioned: 222 Post(s)
Quoted: 3682 Post(s)
Liked: 4181
You want loud?

There are several AVS'ers that have 16 or more subwoofers and 18kW or more burst-power in their theaters.

I'm one of them.
My biggest subwoofer is a 34ft long horn that weighs 400lbs. (I'm building two of them...) Thankfully they are folded-horns though. LOL!
I have roughly ~52kW burst power @ 2-ohms (and I STILL want more bass!)

I believe N8Dogg said he had something around ~100kW burst @ 2-ohms and 10 21's.
Or at least he used to... not sure if he still does or not. (He probably has MORE by now knowing him... LOL!)
His is definitely one of the loudest theaters on Earth.

I'm trying to keep up. hehe

Several of these systems are summarized and compared in the ULF Score thread:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-su...ulf-score.html

Many of them are a permanent work-in-progress, constantly being beefed up in various ways over time...
post #23 of 23 Old 01-12-2016, 07:27 PM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post
I agree to the extent that subs shouldn't drown out everything else. If you're going to play them loud play everything loud.
This is definitely the right answer. Once you have a system that will play loud cleanly (subs AND speakers), your tolerance/ability to enjoy audio at louder frequencies goes up. Some people just don't enjoy music/movies at loud levels, but for those of us that do, you can get great sounding/feeling bass that doesn't sound out of place in a capable and properly set up system/room. Some of Bill's horn designs can definitely help you get there

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassThatHz View Post
You want loud?

There are several AVS'ers that have 16 or more subwoofers and 18kW or more burst-power in their theaters.

I'm one of them.
My biggest subwoofer is a 34ft long horn that weighs 400lbs. (I'm building two of them...) Thankfully they are folded-horns though. LOL!
I have roughly ~52kW burst power @ 2-ohms (and I STILL want more bass!)
lol you're crazy though. I had to sell my lil wrecker horn I just don't have the space to run more than 1 or 2. I will join the 16 sub driver club soon though. It was a quarter life crisis purchase.

VRausch likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page