Buttkicker BKA-1000-N Alternative - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By bear123
  • 1 Post By Dolus
  • 1 Post By Tsunamijhoe

post #1 of 23 Old 02-15-2016, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Buttkicker BKA-1000-N Alternative

My buddy has a Buttkicker LFE (one of my old ones actually), but there is never the amplifier for sale, always out of stock, everywhere (besides non-credible sites). What is an alternative to power this LFE?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 02-16-2016, 06:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 364
Did you check Fullcompass ?

http://www.fullcompass.com/prod/1921...cker-BKA1000-N

Any of the Behringer i-Nuke series amplifiers would be great as well plus they are very inexpensive. At one time I was running 2 of the original Buttkickers (the huge ones) and 2 of the current LFE's off a single Sanway FP-10000K 4 channel amplifier. I am currently running each pair of Buttkickers off a BKA-1000 each .

You might want to be careful with the BKA-1000-N. Some of them have noisy power supplies which emit a high frequency tone due to their switching power supply design. I have had 2 already which I sent back in the past. Just FYI. Perhaps they are updating the design and will have a new model number for it which is why so many places are out of stock.

Give Guitammer a call and ask for Marvin Clamme. He can fill you in on the details of what may be going on.

Last edited by rms8; 02-17-2016 at 01:32 PM.
post #3 of 23 Old 02-16-2016, 06:55 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rms8 View Post

Any of the Behringer i-Nuke series amplifiers would be great as well plus they are very inexpensive. At one time I was running 2 of the original Buttkickers (the huge ones) and 2 of the current LFE's off a single Sanway FP-10000K 4 channel amplifier. I am currently running each pair of Buttkickers off a single BKA-1000.

You might want to be careful with the BKA-1000-N. Some of them have noisy power supplies which emit a high frequency tone due to their switching power supply design. I have had 2 already which I sent back in the past. Just FYI. Perhaps they are updating the design and will have a new model number for it which is why so many places are out fo stock.

Give Guitammer a call and ask for Marvin Clamme. He can fill you in on the details of what may be going on.

I've never heard of Full Compass, and I tend to shy away from places I've never heard of. Are they legit? My experience with this situation is they say it is in stock, you order it, and expected delivery is like May.

For the I-Nuke series, will this one work for one buttkicker lfe? http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-NU10.../dp/B005EHIN3A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 02-16-2016, 07:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzirkelb View Post
I've never heard of Full Compass, and I tend to shy away from places I've never heard of. Are they legit? My experience with this situation is they say it is in stock, you order it, and expected delivery is like May.

For the I-Nuke series, will this one work for one buttkicker lfe? http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-NU10.../dp/B005EHIN3A

Fullcompass has been around for quite some time. I have ordered plenty from them in the past. Just call them and have them confirm if the item is IN STOCK, heck, even see if they can provide a serial number or something....But, the NU-1000DSP in bridged mode would be fine for a single LFE plus you can fine tune it with the DSP portion the iNuke offers! That is a win-win in my book.

post #5 of 23 Old 02-16-2016, 07:02 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks. I suggested to buy from Full Compass as he will probably expand to one or more LFE's I the future.
post #6 of 23 Old 02-16-2016, 07:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 3099 Post(s)
Liked: 4663
If you order an Inuke, it makes more sense to get the 3000 model imo. That way you have the option to use the amp to power 2-4 items in the future if you ever desire, i.e. a 2nd 3rd or 4th buttkicker or multiple subs. The price difference is not much to have an item that will be more flexible for future needs.
rms8 likes this.
post #7 of 23 Old 02-16-2016, 02:18 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Do the non DSP iNuke have the Low pass filter (cut of frequency above a set threshold) ?

The BKA-1000-N and the DSP iNuke for sure have it, maybe the non DSP iNukes have it too, but you'd likely need this to get the BK setup to your liking.

Having the ability to set delay is also beneficial, in order to be able to set it up so it syncs nicely with your subs, so another reason why a DSP might be a good thing to have.

Heck, having an EQ might be a good too in case you go all out and want to be able to adjust the effect for different frequency ranges. The DSP iNuke will give you that.

That said, I own the BKA-1000 and a single BK LFE transducer, no issues at all with the amp.
I also own an iNuke 6000DSP but use it to drive two of my subs.
Had I known better at the time, I might have considered one of the iNukes instead.

To be honest, now that I have the two 18" ported subs in my setup, I am kind of wondering if I still need the BK. It sure helps with immersion when playing movies with volume at a low setting, but the iNuke DEQ can be somewhat used as a similar workaround.
post #8 of 23 Old 02-17-2016, 11:57 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:

Any of the Behringer i-Nuke series amplifiers would be great as well plus they are very inexpensive. At one time I was running 2 of the original Buttkickers (the huge ones) and 2 of the current LFE's off a single Sanway FP-10000K 4 channel amplifier. I am currently running each pair of Buttkickers off a single BKA-1000.

You might want to be careful with the BKA-1000-N. Some of them have noisy power supplies which emit a high frequency tone due to their switching power supply design. I have had 2 already which I sent back in the past. Just FYI. Perhaps they are updating the design and will have a new model number for it which is why so many places are out of stock.

If you look closer at that link it is a special order item so not in stock which explains 'Usually ships in 7-14 business days.'
post #9 of 23 Old 03-23-2016, 08:49 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by alextr75 View Post
Do the non DSP iNuke have the Low pass filter (cut of frequency above a set threshold) ?

The BKA-1000-N and the DSP iNuke for sure have it, maybe the non DSP iNukes have it too, but you'd likely need this to get the BK setup to your liking.

Having the ability to set delay is also beneficial, in order to be able to set it up so it syncs nicely with your subs, so another reason why a DSP might be a good thing to have.

Heck, having an EQ might be a good too in case you go all out and want to be able to adjust the effect for different frequency ranges. The DSP iNuke will give you that.

That said, I own the BKA-1000 and a single BK LFE transducer, no issues at all with the amp.
I also own an iNuke 6000DSP but use it to drive two of my subs.
Had I known better at the time, I might have considered one of the iNukes instead.

To be honest, now that I have the two 18" ported subs in my setup, I am kind of wondering if I still need the BK. It sure helps with immersion when playing movies with volume at a low setting, but the iNuke DEQ can be somewhat used as a similar workaround.
How exactly would you wire this? Seeing as the subwoofer signal is RCA and Inuke has speakon, and buttkickers need bare wire/banana plugs?
I am also looking at the LFE kit,but are worried about the report about the noise from the buttkicker amp..

Also, how loud is the fan in the inukes?

Marantz 7704, Emotiva XPA-5,Emotiva XPA-2,Densen B-340+,B&W 683,B&W HTM61,B&W DS3,2XSVS PB-2000,4XMonitor Audio BX1 (Atmos),Sony VPL-HW65ES,Stewart 123" CIMA Neve Motorized, Dune HD Pro 4K, Mede8er x600 3D,Panasonic BD60,PS4
post #10 of 23 Old 03-23-2016, 12:57 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsunamijhoe View Post
How exactly would you wire this? Seeing as the subwoofer signal is RCA and Inuke has speakon, and buttkickers need bare wire/banana plugs?
I am also looking at the LFE kit,but are worried about the report about the noise from the buttkicker amp..

Also, how loud is the fan in the inukes?
Only speaking for wiring the Buttkicker LFE kit. The RCA sub out on the AVR goes to the RCA sub in on the BK Amp and then the actual Buttkicker is connected via the speaker terminals on the BK amp.

What noise do you mean from the Buttkicker amp? It is fanless and the only moving parts are the knobs and switches on the front.
AlphaRomeoTango likes this.
post #11 of 23 Old 03-23-2016, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolus View Post
Only speaking for wiring the Buttkicker LFE kit. The RCA sub out on the AVR goes to the RCA sub in on the BK Amp and then the actual Buttkicker is connected via the speaker terminals on the BK amp.

What noise do you mean from the Buttkicker amp? It is fanless and the only moving parts are the knobs and switches on the front.
Dolus, i know how the LFE kit is connected,but we are talking about using an Inuke DSP amp with speakon instead of the buttkicker amp. Please read rest of the posts before answering,will save everyone some time and explanation.

The noise from the buttkicker amp is also mentioned in earlier posts in this thread..Hence why the Inuke was recommended..

So original question stands, how do i connect the RCA signal out to the inuke,and the inuke to the buttkickers? I plan on using 2 LFE buttkickers

Marantz 7704, Emotiva XPA-5,Emotiva XPA-2,Densen B-340+,B&W 683,B&W HTM61,B&W DS3,2XSVS PB-2000,4XMonitor Audio BX1 (Atmos),Sony VPL-HW65ES,Stewart 123" CIMA Neve Motorized, Dune HD Pro 4K, Mede8er x600 3D,Panasonic BD60,PS4
post #12 of 23 Old 03-24-2016, 03:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Dolus, i know how the LFE kit is connected,but we are talking about using an Inuke DSP amp with speakon instead of the buttkicker amp. Please read rest of the posts before answering,will save everyone some time and explanation.

The noise from the buttkicker amp is also mentioned in earlier posts in this thread..Hence why the Inuke was recommended..

So original question stands, how do i connect the RCA signal out to the inuke,and the inuke to the buttkickers? I plan on using 2 LFE buttkickers
I don't see why you would not be able to make your own speaker wire with Speakon connector on one end, and banana plugs on the other, both sides very easy to do.

I own both an iNuke 6000DSP and the BK Amp, I do not find the BK Amp noisy at all.

iNuke on the other hand I find quite a bit, but still not enough to make me decide changing the fan, hmm, maybe some of these days.
post #13 of 23 Old 03-24-2016, 04:31 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

One thing the iNuke cannot offer that the BK amp has is fanless design. If you want to avoid any noise in the room, you could look at picking up some old Crown K1 or K2 amps on eBay. The Crowns are fanless and will easily drive the 4 Ohm load. The Crowns also have standard binding post outputs. You would simply need to get RCA to XLS converters for the input.

If you decide to stick with the iNuke for the advantages the DSP provides, you will need to get an RCA -> XLS adapter. Something like the Rolls MB15b ProMatch Balanced/Unbalanced Converter 3.5mm/RCA/XLR. Any Speakon cables can be used to connect the iNuke to the BKs. You will just have to cut the end off and connect the wires directly to the binding posts.

One way to save some money if you go with the Crowns is to buy a balanced MiniDSP. You can get an RCA to Phoenix cable to connect your source to the MiniDSP. Do your EQ on the MiniDSP and then run the balanced output to your Crowns. This saves on the converter and adds the DSP capabilities otherwise lacking. This is how my LFE setup currently works. I have the LFE out from my Receiver run to the MiniDSP 2x4 and then run one output to my ButtKicker Amps and the other output to the Crowns powering my Subwoofers.
post #14 of 23 Old 03-24-2016, 05:23 PM
Advanced Member

By the way, this is what I use to connect my RCA cable from my receiver sub out to the iNuke

http://www.amazon.com/Hosa-Cable-GPR...nch+TS+Adaptor
post #15 of 23 Old 03-24-2016, 09:04 PM

Thanks guys.. So the noise from the BK amps power supply is not a regular thing? This was why i wanted to go inuke instead,but if this is not a problem, i will just buy the kit and and extra kicker

post #16 of 23 Old 04-01-2016, 06:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So the noise from the BK amps power supply is not a regular thing? This was why i wanted to go inuke instead,but if this is not a problem, i will just buy the kit and and extra kicker

I would say it should NOT be a "regular" thing....but I have had two back to back -N's that had the high frequency power supply squeal. The 3rd -N was fine. I currently have 2 original 1000's and 2 of the newer 1000-N's.

I love these amps for their power output, stability at 2ohms, fanless design and their filter features. As far as reliability goes, I have only had the 2 -N's for ~ 3years. BUT...(no pun intended) I have owned the originals -1000's since 1999. And they are still operating like new.

post #17 of 23 Old 04-01-2016, 10:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1005 Post(s)
Liked: 767
I use an I Nuke 3000 DSP for my TT's. No complaints with this setup.
post #18 of 23 Old 04-01-2016, 11:08 AM

Quote:
I would say it should NOT be a "regular" thing....but I have had two back to back -N's that had the high frequency power supply squeal. The 3rd -N was fine. I currently have 2 original 1000's and 2 of the newer 1000-N's.

I love these amps for their power output, stability at 2ohms, fanless design and their filter features. As far as reliability goes, I have only had the 2 -N's for ~ 3years. BUT...(no pun intended) I have owned the originals -1000's since 1999. And they are still operating like new.

Thank you.. Got my kit today, quiet as a church mouse..

I do however find it hard to find a setting that works when watching at near reference as well as moderate volume.. But i am sure my neighbour will be happy,as i could dial down my dual svs pb-2000 to a mere 30% volume from 50% to get the couch shaking,which the buttkicker now does,so a fine trade off.
derrickdj1 likes this.

post #19 of 23 Old 05-07-2016, 01:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssb201 View Post
One thing the iNuke cannot offer that the BK amp has is fanless design. If you want to avoid any noise in the room, you could look at picking up some old Crown K1 or K2 amps on eBay. The Crowns are fanless and will easily drive the 4 Ohm load. The Crowns also have standard binding post outputs. You would simply need to get RCA to XLS converters for the input.

If you decide to stick with the iNuke for the advantages the DSP provides, you will need to get an RCA -> XLS adapter. Something like the Rolls MB15b ProMatch Balanced/Unbalanced Converter 3.5mm/RCA/XLR. Any Speakon cables can be used to connect the iNuke to the BKs. You will just have to cut the end off and connect the wires directly to the binding posts.

One way to save some money if you go with the Crowns is to buy a balanced MiniDSP. You can get an RCA to Phoenix cable to connect your source to the MiniDSP. Do your EQ on the MiniDSP and then run the balanced output to your Crowns. This saves on the converter and adds the DSP capabilities otherwise lacking. This is how my LFE setup currently works. I have the LFE out from my Receiver run to the MiniDSP 2x4 and then run one output to my ButtKicker Amps and the other output to the Crowns powering my Subwoofers.
Ok, I for one don't like the BK amp. I have went through 2 of them. I want an alternative and it sounds like the inuke is plausible. To summarize the advice I've seen here:

1) Best to go with an inuke3000 DSP (provides the ability to power 4 LFEs). I have 4 of the original BKs.
2) Connections: RCA from AVR to inuke AMP (modify cable using speakon adaptor)
Hosa Cable GPR101 RCA To 1/4 Inch TS Adaptor - 2 Pack (this was mentioned previously). I assume I cut one RCA off and then use the adapor above to connect to the amp.
From the inuke I would use speakon to banaplug (cut the end off and either bind directly or add banana plug to the BK)

Is my understanding correct? I'm just trying to make sure I understand what I'm buying and how I need to modify the cables to get this to work. Also advice on the 3000DSP being the right equivalent would be appreciated. My elementary questions have to do with not being familiar with having anything outside of an AVR and speakers in the past. This is new territory for me.
post #20 of 23 Old 05-10-2016, 05:32 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwwrig View Post
Ok, I for one don't like the BK amp. I have went through 2 of them. I want an alternative and it sounds like the inuke is plausible. To summarize the advice I've seen here:

1) Best to go with an inuke3000 DSP (provides the ability to power 4 LFEs). I have 4 of the original BKs.
2) Connections: RCA from AVR to inuke AMP (modify cable using speakon adaptor)
Hosa Cable GPR101 RCA To 1/4 Inch TS Adaptor - 2 Pack (this was mentioned previously). I assume I cut one RCA off and then use the adapor above to connect to the amp.
From the inuke I would use speakon to banaplug (cut the end off and either bind directly or add banana plug to the BK)

Is my understanding correct? I'm just trying to make sure I understand what I'm buying and how I need to modify the cables to get this to work. Also advice on the 3000DSP being the right equivalent would be appreciated. My elementary questions have to do with not being familiar with having anything outside of an AVR and speakers in the past. This is new territory for me.
The iNuke3000DSP should work just fine. Be aware that the fans will generate some noise. The built-in DSP will allow you to tune the frequencies (since you may want a different crossover or a house curve for the BKs compared with your subwoofer(s)) though you may be limited or at least have to use workarounds if you want to do anything under 20hz.

RCA to 1/4 inch adapters- you should not need to cut anything. Just connect the male end of the RCA cable to the adapter and plug it into the 1/4 inch input on the amplifier. You may need a splitter as I do not know if you can share a single input in the DSP.

For the output you will need to use a cable with Speakon connector and likely cut and strip the wire at the other end and bind it directly to the BK posts.
post #21 of 23 Old 05-28-2016, 11:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Could the iNuke3000DSP drive two sets of 3 (6 total) Buttkickers?

I don't really like talking about my flair
post #22 of 23 Old 01-02-2017, 03:58 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
No Subwoofer pre-out?

Hi, I've been following the advice in this thread since I plan to use the iNuke DSP1000, however, I've only noticed now that I will have connection issues. I have an Onkyo HT-R380 receiver, and this uses speaker-level inputs for the subwoofer. It doesn't have a dedicated subwoofer output that would use RCA cables like mentioned in this thread.

Is there any way I can use regular speaker wires from my receiver to connect to the combo jack inputs on the iNuke DSP1000? I've been doing a lot of Google searches, but it's all very confusing. I'm not very tech-savvy with this, so any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
post #23 of 23 Old 02-13-2020, 08:23 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My BKA-10004A just died, so I found this thread in searching for a reasonable replacement, hopefully on the cheap side. In my search; it seems incredibly difficult to find an alterative. After reading through this thread, it seems that there's always a hiccup in amplifier options (filtered under 20Hz is a killer for me). Seems like a hard gamble to buy an amp.

But how about the Gemini XGA 3000 ($128) with a MiniDSP 2x4? I already have a MiniDSP. It seems that this is my cheapest route. Most bad reviews complain about fan noise; but, it'll be in a separate room.

Will this setup work? There's other models, going up to the Gemini XGA 5000 (2x 550W RMS at 4Ω stereo); still under $200.

Last edited by Matt174e; 02-13-2020 at 08:38 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page