ELAC Debut S12EQ Subwoofer Review - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 56Likes

post #91 of 96 Old 11-29-2017, 11:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I'm very interested in this sub. What I'd like to know is, whether the downfirint passive radiator makes this act like a Downfire Sub, e.g. creates more "feelable" bass...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 96 Old 09-09-2018, 04:28 AM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I'm looking at this sub; is there a benefit to the built-in EQ if you are already using Audyssey XT32 which (presumably) is doing the same thing?
post #93 of 96 Old 09-24-2018, 08:14 PM

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
I'd take it over that one.
Can you please be specific which one you would take it?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

HT 5.2.4 - Marantz SR6011 -> Elac B6.2 + Elac C5.2 + Elac B6 (surround) + JBL Control 1 (TM) + JBL B15 (RH) + Two SVS PB1000
Samsung Bluray Player
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 96 Old 11-21-2018, 07:45 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 4
The S12 does not seem to be readily available. Has it been replaced with a newer model?
post #95 of 96 Old 12-04-2018, 08:43 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCG Mook View Post
Bumping this as I didnt readily find a S12 thread aside from this thread (which convinced me to buy the sub).

So after reading all the positives about this sub and reading through this thread, I decide to take the plunge and replace my polk 505. Currently, my "theater" consists of yamaha a760, elac c5 and f5s, onkyo atmos fronts and just some onkyo HTIB for surrounds (they work extremely well).

My problem is...I'm finding this sub EXTREMELY underwhelming and wondering if its either a) faulty or b) not being set up right.

I ran the yamaha auto eq first and then ran the elac eq for the sub. The elac eq is extremely quiet and boring (for lack of a better word). Even turning it up via the app, very lackluster. Turning the auto eq off produces more bass but its not as clear as one would expect. The AVR set the levl for the sub to -6.0 (Ive run it numerous times and it always dials it in right around there). I have my crossovers for the fronts at 80. It almost seems like only the passive driver it hitting and the front firing is doing nothing. Ive got the gain set to +3 in the AVR if that matters.

The currently sits in the corner of my living room, where the polk used to reside. The auto eq was supposed to make it so that there is no real need to move the sub around (my understanding at least).

The app is kind of crappy as it crashes often, doesnt let me set phase, etc. I run the sub in cinema which helps slightly.

Am I doing something wrong? The polk sounded far better, which makes me just a bit upset. I gotta be missing something.
I am currently communicating with Elac about a similar problem. I have two S12 and Audessy sets them to -12. Also, the subs out put often seems distorted with Hollywood type action movies. Again, I have two subs and they should be able to fill a 15x18 size room. Did you contact Elac?
post #96 of 96 Old 02-02-2019, 03:18 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesyates View Post
I am currently communicating with Elac about a similar problem. I have two S12 and Audessy sets them to -12. Also, the subs out put often seems distorted with Hollywood type action movies. Again, I have two subs and they should be able to fill a 15x18 size room. Did you contact Elac?
Update. ELAC seems to have lost interest in helping me. No answer to emails. Warranty expires in a few weeks. My basic conclusion at this time is that this subwoofer underperforms. I have two six feet from my listening position and they distort like crazy well below reference. Turned off ELAC Sub Eq and used Audyssey to perform all EQ and I saw some improvement. But, they still distort for movies and sometimes for music with low bass.

I finally asked ELAC what levels are the subwoofer capable of doing and am I expecting too much? At that point the conversation ended. My conclusion is that they are a really bad, overhyped product. Also, shame on AVS for give the product a stellar review. Unless I have two defective products! ELAC has not told me otherwise. Will update if anything changes.

Last edited by jamesyates; 02-09-2019 at 09:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page