AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-subwoofers-bass-transducers/)
-   -   Nearfield Ported MBM for Increased Mid-Bass Tactile Response (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-subwoofers-bass-transducers/2434250-nearfield-ported-mbm-increased-mid-bass-tactile-response.html)

MOberhardt 11-18-2019 10:26 PM

As another dumb newbie question, as a rough idea on tuning, are you referring to running REW/ARC/Audyssey once you have connected the additional subwoofer? Or do you have to get more fiddly playing with crossovers, or even more complicated, separate DSP for each sub with say a miniDSP? I'm looking at the simple Behringer 1200D option.

I take it also with phase, if this sub is behind the couch pointing at it, you would have it 180 degrees out of phase with front subwoofers which face the couch?

dominguez1 11-19-2019 06:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOberhardt (Post 58841786)
As another dumb newbie question, as a rough idea on tuning, are you referring to running REW/ARC/Audyssey once you have connected the additional subwoofer? Or do you have to get more fiddly playing with crossovers, or even more complicated, separate DSP for each sub with say a miniDSP? I'm looking at the simple Behringer 1200D option.

I take it also with phase, if this sub is behind the couch pointing at it, you would have it 180 degrees out of phase with front subwoofers which face the couch?

I think the first approach is to get your FR before integrating the 1200D. Then, plug the 1200D into the system and play some select songs and movies that emphasize the midbass range. Adjust the phase, gain, and boost on the 1200D based on how it best "feels", not sounds. ***Note: it will be difficult to disconnect the "feel" from "hear", but try to.

Take another sweep of your FR and see how it looks. Adjust your FR of your other subs to target the FR you want if you have that capability, or run Audyssey again.

Try the sames songs and movies, and also try full range clips as well.

It's definitely an art to tweaking, and often you may have to sacrifice either FR or TR to get that happy medium. Most folks have been super happy with the result. :cool:

MOberhardt 11-19-2019 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dominguez1 (Post 58842632)
I think the first approach is to get your FR before integrating the 1200D. Then, plug the 1200D into the system and play some select songs and movies that emphasize the midbass range. Adjust the phase, gain, and boost on the 1200D based on how it best "feels", not sounds. ***Note: it will be difficult to disconnect the "feel" from "hear", but try to.

Take another sweep of your FR and see how it looks. Adjust your FR of your other subs to target the FR you want if you have that capability, or run Audyssey again.

Try the sames songs and movies, and also try full range clips as well.

It's definitely an art to tweaking, and often you may have to sacrifice either FR or TR to get that happy medium. Most folks have been super happy with the result. :cool:

Ok that sounds easier.

Phase wise, should it in general be out of phase with and front subs?

dominguez1 11-19-2019 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOberhardt (Post 58844150)
Ok that sounds easier.

Phase wise, should it in general be out of phase with and front subs?

Generally speaking, yes; as the starting point.

qguy 12-16-2019 08:34 AM

I read up to page 11 of this thread and is the Behringer B1200D still the goto for near field MBM or something better has come along?

ya9ae 12-17-2019 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qguy (Post 58964764)
I read up to page 11 of this thread and is the Behringer B1200D still the goto for near field MBM or something better has come along?

@dominguez1
Hello,
Please advise us, I have the exact same question? What would be the better option Behringer B1200D-PRO or Behringer VQ1500D as they are almost the same price, VQ1500D is even cheaper with 15" vs 12" !??

Does anyone have experience with the VQ1500D ? Can you advise?
Thanks a lot

qguy 12-17-2019 06:08 AM

How would the Behringer B1200D compete with the VBSS in a near field placement ?

darrellh44 12-17-2019 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qguy (Post 58964764)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ya9ae (Post 58968628)
@dominguez1
Hello,
Please advise us, I have the exact same question? What would be the better option Behringer B1200D-PRO or Behringer VQ1500D as they are almost the same price, VQ1500D is even cheaper with 15" vs 12" !??

Does anyone have experience with the VQ1500D ? Can you advise?
Thanks a lot

I had a pair of B1200D behind my row-of-3 recliners along with a pair PSA S3000i flanking either side of the recliners. The B1200Ds certainly provided some punch, but I could not get the combination to sound natural, at least compared to a GTG demo I heard with two pair of Seaton F18 master/slave subs. I have since sold the B1200D and PSAs in favor of a pair of Marianas placed in the mid front and rear walls. I'm still chasing proper balance between ULF wobble and mid-bass punch, but I'm getting closer.

I've read accounts from others on the Tactile Response threads that if you go with VNF subs, they need to have strong mid-bass punch AND also be strong in the lower frequencies as well - at least down to 20 Hz. The tune on the B1200Ds is a little too high for this lower-end punch.