Nearfield Ported MBM for Increased Mid-Bass Tactile Response - Page 106 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1731Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #3151 of 3159 Old 11-18-2019, 10:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MOberhardt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Posts: 2,160
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1586 Post(s)
Liked: 1234
As another dumb newbie question, as a rough idea on tuning, are you referring to running REW/ARC/Audyssey once you have connected the additional subwoofer? Or do you have to get more fiddly playing with crossovers, or even more complicated, separate DSP for each sub with say a miniDSP? I'm looking at the simple Behringer 1200D option.

I take it also with phase, if this sub is behind the couch pointing at it, you would have it 180 degrees out of phase with front subwoofers which face the couch?
MOberhardt is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #3152 of 3159 Old 11-19-2019, 06:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
dominguez1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,349
Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1176 Post(s)
Liked: 1118
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOberhardt View Post
As another dumb newbie question, as a rough idea on tuning, are you referring to running REW/ARC/Audyssey once you have connected the additional subwoofer? Or do you have to get more fiddly playing with crossovers, or even more complicated, separate DSP for each sub with say a miniDSP? I'm looking at the simple Behringer 1200D option.

I take it also with phase, if this sub is behind the couch pointing at it, you would have it 180 degrees out of phase with front subwoofers which face the couch?
I think the first approach is to get your FR before integrating the 1200D. Then, plug the 1200D into the system and play some select songs and movies that emphasize the midbass range. Adjust the phase, gain, and boost on the 1200D based on how it best "feels", not sounds. ***Note: it will be difficult to disconnect the "feel" from "hear", but try to.

Take another sweep of your FR and see how it looks. Adjust your FR of your other subs to target the FR you want if you have that capability, or run Audyssey again.

Try the sames songs and movies, and also try full range clips as well.

It's definitely an art to tweaking, and often you may have to sacrifice either FR or TR to get that happy medium. Most folks have been super happy with the result.
SBuger and MOberhardt like this.
dominguez1 is offline  
post #3153 of 3159 Old 11-19-2019, 11:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MOberhardt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Posts: 2,160
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1586 Post(s)
Liked: 1234
Quote:
Originally Posted by dominguez1 View Post
I think the first approach is to get your FR before integrating the 1200D. Then, plug the 1200D into the system and play some select songs and movies that emphasize the midbass range. Adjust the phase, gain, and boost on the 1200D based on how it best "feels", not sounds. ***Note: it will be difficult to disconnect the "feel" from "hear", but try to.

Take another sweep of your FR and see how it looks. Adjust your FR of your other subs to target the FR you want if you have that capability, or run Audyssey again.

Try the sames songs and movies, and also try full range clips as well.

It's definitely an art to tweaking, and often you may have to sacrifice either FR or TR to get that happy medium. Most folks have been super happy with the result.
Ok that sounds easier.

Phase wise, should it in general be out of phase with and front subs?
MOberhardt is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #3154 of 3159 Old 11-19-2019, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
dominguez1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,349
Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1176 Post(s)
Liked: 1118
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOberhardt View Post
Ok that sounds easier.

Phase wise, should it in general be out of phase with and front subs?
Generally speaking, yes; as the starting point.
MOberhardt likes this.
dominguez1 is offline  
post #3155 of 3159 Old 12-16-2019, 08:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
qguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,580
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 194
I read up to page 11 of this thread and is the Behringer B1200D still the goto for near field MBM or something better has come along?
qguy is offline  
post #3156 of 3159 Old 12-17-2019, 05:55 AM
Member
 
ya9ae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by qguy View Post
I read up to page 11 of this thread and is the Behringer B1200D still the goto for near field MBM or something better has come along?
@dominguez1
Hello,
Please advise us, I have the exact same question? What would be the better option Behringer B1200D-PRO or Behringer VQ1500D as they are almost the same price, VQ1500D is even cheaper with 15" vs 12" !??

Does anyone have experience with the VQ1500D ? Can you advise?
Thanks a lot
ya9ae is offline  
post #3157 of 3159 Old 12-17-2019, 06:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
qguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,580
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 194
How would the Behringer B1200D compete with the VBSS in a near field placement ?
qguy is offline  
post #3158 of 3159 Old 12-17-2019, 12:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
darrellh44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: North Dallas
Posts: 1,774
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1234 Post(s)
Liked: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by qguy View Post
I read up to page 11 of this thread and is the Behringer B1200D still the goto for near field MBM or something better has come along?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ya9ae View Post
@dominguez1
Hello,
Please advise us, I have the exact same question? What would be the better option Behringer B1200D-PRO or Behringer VQ1500D as they are almost the same price, VQ1500D is even cheaper with 15" vs 12" !??

Does anyone have experience with the VQ1500D ? Can you advise?
Thanks a lot
I had a pair of B1200D behind my row-of-3 recliners along with a pair PSA S3000i flanking either side of the recliners. The B1200Ds certainly provided some punch, but I could not get the combination to sound natural, at least compared to a GTG demo I heard with two pair of Seaton F18 master/slave subs. I have since sold the B1200D and PSAs in favor of a pair of Marianas placed in the mid front and rear walls. I'm still chasing proper balance between ULF wobble and mid-bass punch, but I'm getting closer.

I've read accounts from others on the Tactile Response threads that if you go with VNF subs, they need to have strong mid-bass punch AND also be strong in the lower frequencies as well - at least down to 20 Hz. The tune on the B1200Ds is a little too high for this lower-end punch.

darrellh44's Home Theater
Guide to Subwoofer Calibration and Bass Preferences

"Don't trouble Trouble until Trouble troubles you".
darrellh44 is offline  
post #3159 of 3159 Old 06-11-2020, 02:25 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 6
I'm looking at the 1200D and then this pops up.
https://www.thomann.de/gb/fun_genera...l_15_sub_a.htm
15"
40-250hz
125db

@ €166 a piece it's almost 3 for the price of two 1200D (€244)
kane7 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off