AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-subwoofers-bass-transducers/)
-   -   Nearfield Ported MBM for Increased Mid-Bass Tactile Response (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-subwoofers-bass-transducers/2434250-nearfield-ported-mbm-increased-mid-bass-tactile-response.html)

dominguez1 05-15-2016 06:42 PM

Just watched a good portion of Force Awakens again...HUGE difference in midbass slam. I thought the TR was perfect between the FVs ULF and the MBM LF! Big, big difference. It was like watching the movie for the first time again, it was that different.

The decision has been made: the 1200D is a keeper and has earned its way into my HT. Nearfield, it holds its own at above reference levels with my FTW21s and my FV15HPs. I still can't get over that this is less than $300...crazy.

Still planning on performing the VS tests, but regardless of the results, this has found its home. Very impressed. :cool:

SBuger 05-15-2016 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dominguez1 (Post 44050306)
Just watched a good portion of Force Awakens again...HUGE difference in midbass slam. I thought the TR was perfect between the FVs ULF and the MBM LF! Big, big difference. It was like watching the movie for the first time again, it was that different.

The decision has been made: the 1200D is a keeper and has earned its way into my HT. Nearfield, it holds its own at above reference levels with my FTW21s and my FV15HPs. I still can't get over that this is less than $300...crazy.

Still planning on performing the VS tests, but regardless of the results, this has found its home. Very impressed. :cool:

Awesome! I'm glad to hear it made such a huge difference. I've enjoyed following along and will definitely keep this in mind if I started feeling the need for more mid bass slam. Thanks for sharing the info! :)

coolrda 05-15-2016 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dominguez1 (Post 44048626)
Well @coolrda , you were right...my clark transducers are fried...tried to dial them in today, and well, there is no dial. Deed.

The good news is, is that this little MBM does a much better job for the side seats! This is actually the biggest surprise of this 1200D, is the effect it has on the side seats. HUGE boost in midbass slam...HUGE. Like I said, this mbm does a much better job than my transducers (which weren't really used for ULF as the FVs handled that department, but more of the 'simulated' midbass slam).

So unfortunately...no VS on the Clark's...

Also, I did move the 1200D back about 4 inches, and that seemed to help tame the "midblass" slam a bit...will have to wait and see for the next non-LFE movie to know for sure.

That's too bad about the Clarks as I know they make good TT's. No worries. Great to hear the MBM is delivering the goods. I'm taking a serious look at those. I broke both my laptops yesterday. The netbook running WinXP was bad enough as that ran all my peripherals, Omnimic, MiniDSP, HCFR, WinISD, But then I knocked my pristine 8 yesr old MacBook off my nightstand and broke it. All the pics and files of all kinds of my last 4 HT room builds, all gone. It just gutted me. These things happen. Anyway, I got a new Win10 HP laptop. I'm pretty intimidated by windows os as its been a decade since I've used MS software. Hopefully I can get it all to work and re eq and load everything back up by next weekend and post some thought.

DotJun 05-15-2016 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolrda (Post 44052602)
That's too bad about the Clarks as I know they make good TT's. No worries. Great to hear the MBM is delivering the goods. I'm taking a serious look at those. I broke both my laptops yesterday. The netbook running WinXP was bad enough as that ran all my peripherals, Omnimic, MiniDSP, HCFR, WinISD, But then I knocked my pristine 8 yesr old MacBook off my nightstand and broke it. All the pics and files of all kinds of my last 4 HT room builds, all gone. It just gutted me. These things happen. Anyway, I got a new Win10 HP laptop. I'm pretty intimidated by windows os as its been a decade since I've used MS software. Hopefully I can get it all to work and re eq and load everything back up by next weekend and post some thought.

No backup solution?

coolrda 05-16-2016 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DotJun (Post 44052810)
No backup solution?

Several backups but the drives have failed prior to this happening. Sloppy file management on my part.

dominguez1 05-16-2016 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolrda (Post 44052602)

Ugh, that really sucks. I used a cloud based backup...$5 a month or so, and backs up to their cloud server. DONE.

Been meaning to get back on the VS thread to ask more questions about the Crowsons...plenty to learn there and just at the tip of the iceberg...for example:

Is TR linear to SPL? IOW, can we predict what max TR is based on 75-80db test?

Assuming ported produces more TR around tune, at what output does a sealed sub need to be at to recreate the TR?

How does the crowson TR subjectively compare to your sub TR at the same level at the MLP?

When your gear is up and running, I'll pop these (and more) in your thread... :)

coolrda 05-16-2016 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dominguez1 (Post 44073442)
Ugh, that really sucks. I used a cloud based backup...$5 a month or so, and backs up to their cloud server. DONE.

Been meaning to get back on the VS thread to ask more questions about the Crowsons...plenty to learn there and just at the tip of the iceberg...for example:

Is TR linear to SPL? IOW, can we predict what max TR is based on 75-80db test?

Assuming ported produces more TR around tune, at what output does a sealed sub need to be at to recreate the TR?

How does the crowson TR subjectively compare to your sub TR at the same level at the MLP?

When your gear is up and running, I'll pop these (and more) in your thread... :)

Great questions Dom. I started writing up a review that has turned into a novel:eek:. It started as a product review but has since crossed over to include all of these threads together. It's farmigrated into a massive LF/ULF journey experience thing. Part of it is a TMI on the Crowsons. There will be some good subjective thoughts and objective data. I've read all I ever want too on seat testing and terminology. I've done more research into accelerometer testing and found that VibSensor testing is actually better suited for random vibration testing than the constant vibration. Random being movie demos and Constant being sines and sweeps. There'll be a ton VS testing over the coming months. Found some interesting VS data on the Crowsons with the tests run so far.

SBuger 05-16-2016 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dominguez1 (Post 44073442)

I can kind of answer this one. I just moved from the FV right behind me (at 12hz tune) to 3 sealed 18's right behind my couch (one behind each seat). I wanted 18's but still needed to stay with a pretty small footprint and still have the ULF. Since I'm so used to having the FV right behind me, from what I can tell so far (subjectively), is that below 17hz or so, the sealed need to be about 6db higher to get about the same feel. So pretty much what you guys proved in your ULF thread. Fortunately with them being able to take quite a bit of amp power and gaining 7-9db across the board going from 1 to 3 because they are basically co located, its not to much of a problem to boost it up there.

mrcoop 05-17-2016 05:22 AM

I had jtr triple 12 and still couldnt get the mid bass slam...maybe my room, but decided to get hsu mbm's nearfiled and it made a world of distance...sold those and and just built 2 mbm's diy soundgroup flatpacks with the magnum 12...oh my goodness..these thing are just insane! some say get better mains, but sometimes that still just doesnt work.

dominguez1 05-17-2016 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SBuger (Post 44077402)
I can kind of answer this one. I just moved from the FV right behind me (at 12hz tune) to 3 sealed 18's right behind my couch (one behind each seat). I wanted 18's but still needed to stay with a pretty small footprint and still have the ULF. Since I'm so used to having the FV right behind me, from what I can tell so far (subjectively), is that below 17hz or so, the sealed need to be about 6db higher to get about the same feel. So pretty much what you guys proved in your ULF thread. Fortunately with them being able to take quite a bit of amp power and gaining 7-9db across the board going from 1 to 3 because they are basically co located, its not to much of a problem to boost it up there.

Very cool...more evidence (subjective or not) is always insightful. :cool: I've found the FVs to be TR monsters...probably because of the low tune, but perhaps its the overall design.

So, you have 3 18s behind you now compared to 1 FV before? Is that right?

So with 3 18s, you needed to raise the level of the combined subs by 6db in order to subjectively match the FV? How about the other frequencies? Are they equivalent? Is it just around tune that there seems to be more impact?

Have you ever tried the VibSensor app? You can turn subjective into objective... :D

dominguez1 05-17-2016 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrcoop (Post 44079410)
I had jtr triple 12 and still couldnt get the mid bass slam...maybe my room, but decided to get hsu mbm's nearfiled and it made a world of distance...sold those and and just built 2 mbm's diy soundgroup flatpacks with the magnum 12...oh my goodness..these thing are just insane! some say get better mains, but sometimes that still just doesnt work.

I remember reading a post from you somewhere about that...interesting.

I thought about building those DIYSG MBMs, but stumbled across the cheap 1200D. It sounds like the DIYSG MBMs have a lot more impact? Were they in the same positions and calibrated to the same levels?

mrcoop 05-17-2016 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dominguez1 (Post 44100002)
I remember reading a post from you somewhere about that...interesting.

I thought about building those DIYSG MBMs, but stumbled across the cheap 1200D. It sounds like the DIYSG MBMs have a lot more impact? Were they in the same positions and calibrated to the same levels?

I have them temporarily in my living room. My theater is getting ready for a remodel but I put the 2 magnums nearfield and they hit hard...seemed much harder then the hsu's but...The only problem the hsu's were in the theater room and never in the living room so I really couldn't make a comparison but my living room is big...33x16 with 18' ceilings. My theater room is only about 2600 cubic ft. That may not matter since they were nearfield...the magnums just play effortlessly, even if I decide to really put the hammer to them.

SBuger 05-17-2016 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dominguez1 (Post 44099946)
Very cool...more evidence (subjective or not) is always insightful. :cool: I've found the FVs to be TR monsters...probably because of the low tune, but perhaps its the overall design.

So, you have 3 18s behind you now compared to 1 FV before? Is that right?

So with 3 18s, you needed to raise the level of the combined subs by 6db in order to subjectively match the FV? How about the other frequencies? Are they equivalent? Is it just around tune that there seems to be more impact?

Have you ever tried the VibSensor app? You can turn subjective into objective... :D

Yes the FV's are definitely TR monsters! Probably because of what you mention - low tune and perhaps the overall design. I love the thing and the SQ is wonderful IMO! It's a damn nice sub, as I'm sure you would agree :) I just wish it had more power and was a little fuller/thicker from 50ish down to about 20ish like the cap (more power and thicker in that range). I've just gotten to the point of wanting more and more and more bass impact (I've got the sickness), hence the decision to go with 18's right behind me that would have a lot more power on tap, even if they are not ported. I'd love to have 3 18'" ported subs right behind me that were tuned to 12hz, but dont really see that as an option, even if there was one available right now (I think Rythmik has one in the works). Even then its probably going to be to big to have one behind my couch, much less three. I wanted one behind each of my seats on the 3 seat couch. I guess I could have just bought two more FV's , and I thought about that, but decided to go DIY sealed because of the small footprint, savings and still have really good ULF. Also the FV's are pretty deep and hung out pretty far behind my couch and kind of went into the dining area, which is open to the back side of my living room and also the wires sticking out from the plate amp (one of the downsides of having your HT in the living room).

So yes, 3 sealed 18's behind me now instead of 1 FV. But still just one directly behind me and the other two behind the other two seats, which are still pretty close. But as you probably know, even moving the driver away form your back two to three inches or more, reduces the tactile effect quite a bit. But the other two do help with TR a little and also makes is sound and feel a little fuller and hit a bit harder.

I mainly did my comparisons to the FV with just one behind me because I wanted it to be somewhat of a more apples to apples comparison (although its an 18 vs 15 and sealed vs ported). I was curious how they would compare to one other. So yes, about 6 db more subjectively under 17hz or so to get that same kind of wobble feel. I then tried 3 of them and was able to lower the gain about 4 clicks (almost 2db per click) on 3 different inuke channels giving way more headroom. The wobble was a little better with the three. I could probably now pick the low end up a fair amount more. With some pretty spirited demos I never really saw where the lights were close to clipping. Also its really cool to have a simlar experience in all three seats now, opposed to just the seat with the sub behind it. A driver being that close to you makes one hell of a difference!

As far as the other frequencies go, in that 50-80hz region (I cross at 80) they are real comparable IMO, which is great because I love that area on the FV - mid bass slam is wonderful. Below that to about 20hz, it feels fuller/fatter (again subjectively) and really hits your gut, with just one and even more so with three. I guess you could say, I'm super pleased with them so far. Combine that with dual BK LFE's and dual Crowsons on the same couch, I usually have a pretty big grin on my face! :D

I haven't tried the VS app yet. Might have to do that one of these days when I get the 4th sub built and have everything really dialed in.

dominguez1 05-18-2016 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SBuger (Post 44101362)
So yes, 3 sealed 18's behind me now instead of 1 FV. But still just one directly behind me and the other two behind the other two seats, which are still pretty close.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SBuger (Post 44101362)
Combine that with dual BK LFE's and dual Crowsons on the same couch, I usually have a pretty big grin on my face! :D

LOL, you sir are a Tactile Response FIEND! :eek: :cool:

Thanks for your explanation. I'm going to have to try the FV directly behind my seat again, and compare it to the 1200D...hmmm

More to come...

derrickdj1 05-18-2016 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolrda (Post 44075010)
Great questions Dom. I started writing up a review that has turned into a novel:eek:. It started as a product review but has since crossed over to include all of these threads together. It's farmigrated into a massive LF/ULF journey experience thing. Part of it is a TMI on the Crowsons. There will be some good subjective thoughts and objective data. I've read all I ever want too on seat testing and terminology. I've done more research into accelerometer testing and found that VibSensor testing is actually better suited for random vibration testing than the constant vibration. Random being movie demos and Constant being sines and sweeps. There'll be a ton VS testing over the coming months. Found some interesting VS data on the Crowsons with the tests run so far.

The VS testing on movies may tell us more than on sweeps and sine waves. I think sweeps and sine wave is a little more dangerous to the gear. Less time to move air and cool off.

Sometime the VS has reached the limit for a TR score. This is common with TT's.

SBuger 05-18-2016 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dominguez1 (Post 44127370)
LOL, you sir are a Tactile Response FIEND! :eek: :cool:

Thanks for your explanation. I'm going to have to try the FV directly behind my seat again, and compare it to the 1200D...hmmm

More to come...

lol, I do like a bit of TR :) As long as the subs are providing intense chest slam and a gut punch (which they do with drivers that close to the back), I'll take all the extra shake I can get from the TT's. At least when the listening volumes are really loud. Under about -15 or so MVC I have to back them off accordingly or its just to much. The BK's can be so strong in that 12-27hz range. I know some folks around here don't really care for them, but I lov'em. They kind of make my couch feel like its on a trampoline when they are cranked up - its almost hypnotizing in a way and kind of creates a warm fuzzy feeling. Sorry this is kind of getting off your mid bass topic, but one of my favorite movies scenes for this effect is in Pacific Rim, chapter 11, starting at about the 1:33:30sih mark when they are inside one of the fallen Kajju's and the baby's heartbeat starts pounding. The BK's (and the nearfield subs too of coarse) just shakes the livin crap out me! :) Actually that whole movie has a lot of good moments like that and is quite a ride.

I'm betting the 1200D will be stronger for mid bass compared to the FV, especially if its up against your back. But I think you said you experienced it being to strong when it was real close to the back of your chair and as mentioned by a few others, mid bass can actually be to much/intense sometimes if set to high. Seems hard to believe that one could have to much tactile mid bass, but it can be a distraction. As with most things I guess, balance is key.

When you try the FV directly behind your couch again, you may try it on its side as well as the standard upright position if you haven't already in the past. If your seat reclines, I think it works a little better this way and allows the driver to be in a little different position. Even when not reclined, I liked it a little better this way, but cant remember for sure why. It could just be the design of my couch and the way it interacts with the FV.

coolrda 05-19-2016 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derrickdj1 (Post 44131986)
The VS testing on movies may tell us more than on sweeps and sine waves. I think sweeps and sine wave is a little more dangerous to the gear. Less time to move air and cool off.

Sometime the VS has reached the limit for a TR score. This is common with TT's.

Yep. I'm gonna go with a lot more dangerous. But I 'm always pushing the limits. Anyway the random vibration testing should be interesting and fun because its want we demo and watch.

dominguez1 05-22-2016 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SBuger (Post 44132954)
lol, I do like a bit of TR :) As long as the subs are providing intense chest slam and a gut punch (which they do with drivers that close to the back), I'll take all the extra shake I can get from the TT's. At least when the listening volumes are really loud. Under about -15 or so MVC I have to back them off accordingly or its just to much. The BK's can be so strong in that 12-27hz range. I know some folks around here don't really care for them, but I lov'em. They kind of make my couch feel like its on a trampoline when they are cranked up - its almost hypnotizing in a way and kind of creates a warm fuzzy feeling. Sorry this is kind of getting off your mid bass topic, but one of my favorite movies scenes for this effect is in Pacific Rim, chapter 11, starting at about the 1:33:30sih mark when they are inside one of the fallen Kajju's and the baby's heartbeat starts pounding. The BK's (and the nearfield subs too of coarse) just shakes the livin crap out me! :) Actually that whole movie has a lot of good moments like that and is quite a ride.

I'm betting the 1200D will be stronger for mid bass compared to the FV, especially if its up against your back. But I think you said you experienced it being to strong when it was real close to the back of your chair and as mentioned by a few others, mid bass can actually be to much/intense sometimes if set to high. Seems hard to believe that one could have to much tactile mid bass, but it can be a distraction. As with most things I guess, balance is key.

My buddy has both Crowsons and the BKs as well. I liked the BKs a lot...I'd say they were pretty even, with a slight edge to the Crowsons as being more natural.

As far as midbass being too much...only for the content that doesn't call for it. It just becomes distracting. However, for the content that does call for it, bring it on. :D

In my case, I don't like tweaking my setting for different content, and like to find a good balance so I don't have to mess with it, and it all sounds good. I did more tweaking with the 1200D, turned it down a few db, and I think I've got it dialed in. Watched some non-LFE movies, and it's much better, but when called upon, can be pretty brutal.

Still need to find time to VibSensor the MBM vs the FV though...

SBuger 05-23-2016 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dominguez1 (Post 44205922)
My buddy has both Crowsons and the BKs as well. I liked the BKs a lot...I'd say they were pretty even, with a slight edge to the Crowsons as being more natural.

As far as midbass being too much...only for the content that doesn't call for it. It just becomes distracting. However, for the content that does call for it, bring it on. :D

In my case, I don't like tweaking my setting for different content, and like to find a good balance so I don't have to mess with it, and it all sounds good. I did more tweaking with the 1200D, turned it down a few db, and I think I've got it dialed in. Watched some non-LFE movies, and it's much better, but when called upon, can be pretty brutal.

Still need to find time to VibSensor the MBM vs the FV though...

I agree, the Crowsons do have a slight edge for being a little more natural. They also take the cake for under 10hz easily! I still like the BK's a tad better in the 12-25hz range, just because of there sheer ability to just shake the crap out of you when I want, but love my Crowsons for different reasons as well and wouldn't give them up for anything! :)

Cool, sounds like you have that 1200D tuned in perfectly now! I'm super happy with my midbass TR right now, but may order one one of these days just to play around with it (maybe stack it on top of one of my 18's right behind me)! :D Would probably be to much mid bass TR, but fun though!

lefthandluke 05-24-2016 07:29 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I finally got around to placing my 1200 behind my loveseat...was a little tricky as I have a suspended riser right behind it. the back half of the 1200D is on the riser and I had to make a shelf level with the riser to hold the front half (see pics)...the back of the loveseat is only about 6in from the front of the sub...

the first and as of now only demo ive done thus far is Jeff Beck live at Ronnie Scotts and I was giggling like the proverbial schoolgirl when Vinnie Colaiuta's kick drum first pounded my back...even after reading dom's experiences this still kinda caught me off guard...

dom I pretty much used your settings initially but eventually backed the subs gain off a bit to get a smoother blend...right now its between 9:30 and 10 on the dial. definitely have some tweaking to do but, fer cryin out loud, this is a effin blast!!

need to try some movies tomorrow...can't wait!

thanks fer startin this thread brother...!

Defcon 05-24-2016 11:22 PM

Any thoughts on these vs the 1200D :-

http://smile.amazon.com/Seismic-Audi.../dp/B00CPSR13E
http://smile.amazon.com/Seismic-Audi.../dp/B00F5C06T8

I only have a single SVS right now, would adding one of these as MBM make a big difference?

dominguez1 05-25-2016 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lefthandluke (Post 44272978)
I finally got around to placing my 1200 behind my loveseat...was a little tricky as I have a suspended riser right behind it. the back half of the 1200D is on the riser and I had to make a shelf level with the riser to hold the front half (see pics)...the back of the loveseat is only about 6in from the front of the sub...

the first and as of now only demo ive done thus far is Jeff Beck live at Ronnie Scotts and I was giggling like the proverbial schoolgirl when Vinnie Colaiuta's kick drum first pounded my back...even after reading dom's experiences this still kinda caught me off guard...

dom I pretty much used your settings initially but eventually backed the subs gain off a bit to get a smoother blend...right now its between 9:30 and 10 on the dial. definitely have some tweaking to do but, fer cryin out loud, this is a effin blast!!

need to try some movies tomorrow...can't wait!

thanks fer startin this thread brother...!

Nice!!! Great to hear, and look forward to what you think about movies. :cool:

That has gotta be some serious slam being right up against your seating and aimed right at your chest! :eek:

What are you other subs? Single S3000?

dominguez1 05-25-2016 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Defcon (Post 44276338)
Any thoughts on these vs the 1200D :-

http://smile.amazon.com/Seismic-Audi.../dp/B00CPSR13E
http://smile.amazon.com/Seismic-Audi.../dp/B00F5C06T8

I only have a single SVS right now, would adding one of these as MBM make a big difference?

http://cdn-tp1.mozu.com/2199-2317/cm...max=400&_mzcb=

Don't know much about the brand; Seismic Audio, but at first glance it looks like a lot of great value for $269 shipped.

I looked at the specs here:

http://www.seismicaudiospeakers.com/...Baby-Tremor_PW

The only thing that concerns me a bit is the Max SPL rating. It lists it at 108db continuous. Not sure if it's an apples to apples comparison but the 1200D lists Max SPL rating of 122db.

When I think about a good MBM pro sub, I think it's important to have the tune in the midbass range (50-60hz) or so. This sub claims to dig down to 35hz, but I think that's the -10db mark.

If you look at the FR below, you can see that it start to drop of right at the 60hz range or so...which is actually a good thing IMO for an MBM.

http://d3d71ba2asa5oz.cloudfront.net...morfrchart.jpg

This is quite a bit larger than the 1200D as well, so might be more of challenge to physically fit in your area.

Lastly, if SA is an off brand, there might be sound quality tradeoffs, but that's really hard to tell without listening to it.

Having said all that, it's tuned right and priced right, so I'd give it a shot! If you don't like it, just pay shipping back.

Keep us posted if you pull the trigger on something. :cool:

Defcon 05-25-2016 05:37 PM

The 1200D is gone from Amazon now, it was $299 earlier. I'll keep waiting, I wish there was more discussion of this kind of sub on AVS vs chasing single digits.

dominguez1 05-25-2016 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Defcon (Post 44296538)
The 1200D is gone from Amazon now, it was $299 earlier. I'll keep waiting, I wish there was more discussion of this kind of sub on AVS vs chasing single digits.

Plenty of stock elsewhere for the same price:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...12_active.html

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-a...tive-subwoofer

Musician friend looks like it has a 10% Memorial day sale as well.

Part express says back in stock on 6/3.

So are you not going to give the Seismic a shot? If you have the room, I'd say go for it! Bring some more intelligence to the MBM pro sub space. :)

lefthandluke 05-25-2016 06:06 PM

I guess things work out for a reason...
if I would have offered dom the use of the 1200 just a bit earlier he would have taken me up on the offer and he would have been impressed with it and since I wasn't using it I probably would have sold it to him on the cheap and I would never have known what I would have been missing...
thank God for small favors...

I just finished playing Oblivion and the first 10 minutes or so were kinda hit or miss...in fact mostly miss as I felt the 1200 added a bit too much boom to the action. but I went ahead and let it run to the "rope break" scene and well...to put it eloquently...HOLY SHEEET!
I've never measured that scene but have always thought it to be strong in the 30hz and under zone but I felt intense massaging that I had not felt before and I've played this scene a bunch...which is a mystery to me being the berry is (I thought) at its best in the 40-70hz arena. regardless, it was a lotta fun! still have some fine-tuning to do, but what a riot!

dom my other subs are a psa s3600i and a pair of def tech trinitys...

dominguez1 05-25-2016 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lefthandluke (Post 44297154)
I guess things work out for a reason...
if I would have offered dom the use of the 1200 just a bit earlier he would have taken me up on the offer and he would have been impressed with it and since I wasn't using it I probably would have sold it to him on the cheap and I would never have known what I would have been missing...
thank God for small favors...

I just finished playing Oblivion and the first 10 minutes or so were kinda hit or miss...in fact mostly miss as I felt the 1200 added a bit too much boom to the action. but I went ahead and let it run to the "rope break" scene and well...to put it eloquently...HOLY SHEEET!
I've never measured that scene but have always thought it to be strong in the 30hz and under zone but I felt intense massaging that I had not felt before and I've played this scene a bunch...which is a mystery to me being the berry is (I thought) at its best in the 40-70hz arena. regardless, it was a lotta fun! still have some fine-tuning to do, but what a riot!

dom my other subs are a psa s3600i and a pair of def tech trinitys...

I know...I've noticed the same thing! I'll be watching the famous MWB demo scenes, and this seems to be digging much deeper and more tactile than I thought it would!?!

Actually, if you look at my FR:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/attach...1&d=1462126158

It starts adding output at the 25hz or so mark...but remember that's just SPL...who knows what is happening from a Sound Intensity or Tactile Response standpoint!

dominguez1 05-26-2016 07:59 PM

So I threw in Terminator Salvation just now...

HOLY MIDBASS! :eek: :eek: :eek:

The opening credits are pretty good, but at the end of that when the Terminator Salvation title appears on the screen...the midbass was literally breath-taking. My heart raced a bit, and I seemed short of breath! :eek: :D

That's probably the best midbass scene I've experienced. I played it with and without the 1200D. Without it, it was still pretty good...however with it, it took by breath away. Cavity pressure beating kicks to the chest...

You guys gotta check that one out...keep in mind that without the 1200D I run DIYSG Fusions 12s LCR, and 4 Volt 10s for surrounds. I also have 2 FTW21s and 2 FV15HPs nearfield in a 1900cf room. Needless to say, my equipment is very capable for re-producing strong midbass.

This little 1200D nearfield made a huge difference. :cool:

dominguez1 05-26-2016 08:03 PM

@coolrda , it would be interesting to see if your crowsons could fake you into believing you had that chest cavity kick compared to your nearfield 18s....

coolrda 05-26-2016 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dominguez1 (Post 44324121)
@coolrda , it would be interesting to see if your crowsons could fake you into believing you had that chest cavity kick compared to your nearfield 18s....

I'm always up for it. I'll checkout TS. We're gonna need the your MBM's VS numbers as a benchmark.