Nearfield Ported MBM for Increased Mid-Bass Tactile Response - Page 51 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1731Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1501 of 3159 Old 12-13-2016, 01:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Europe, Croatia
Posts: 1,746
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked: 565
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast View Post
Progress. I have an RMA. They want me to ship it to NY.
Guess I need a box.

Looks like I get to pay for shipping, too.

Michael
Horrible, box+shipping is probably worth more then Behringer. I should get mine this week.
But, I am pretty much giving up on a living room HT. Music is great, but anything coming out of center channel gives me headaches...

Revel Ultima Salon 2, Revel M106, Revel C208, Yamaha P5000S, Denon X5200, Panasonic 65" VT50, Dual VBSS w Faital 18FH510
Kef LS50, Parasound New Classic, Focusrite 2i4 2nd Gen
donktard is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1502 of 3159 Old 12-13-2016, 01:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Molon_Labe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,420
Mentioned: 113 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3664 Post(s)
Liked: 4475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post


You got REW up and running or no??
Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast View Post
Alan's being shy, but he did a nice write-up of the sub distance tweak here:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-su...l#post48610609
Michael
I read it previously. I will probably go mess with it again after my next conference call, since I just took a baseline in REW to see what the MBMs add post install. I still have the mic on the stand and my spare laptop hooked up.
timi2fly likes this.
Molon_Labe is offline  
post #1503 of 3159 Old 12-13-2016, 01:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
healthnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,725
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1033 Post(s)
Liked: 1045
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast View Post
Ceiling? That's not a port, it's a mounting hole for a pole to support main PA speakers.
The ports/vents are below the driver, on the bottom, which is why some people have the speaker upside down.
Michael


Thanks for the clarification


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
healthnut is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1504 of 3159 Old 12-13-2016, 02:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tvuong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 6,006
Mentioned: 108 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3007 Post(s)
Liked: 3092
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molon_Labe View Post
Yes



I read it previously. I will probably go mess with it again after my next conference call, since I just took a baseline in REW to see what the MBMs add post install. I still have the mic on the stand and my spare laptop hooked up.
The SDT recommends to change the same amount of distance on both sub outs if one has subeqht receiver. In my case, i have found my Denon X4000 sometime has the correct distance to my rear subs on sub out 2, other time it was off (~2ft further than the last calibration), So instead of changing distances to both subs, i just change the distance for sub out 2 and has a almost flat response at the xover. The sub distances Audyssey sets in my case are usually about 2-2.5ft further than the actual distance measured to the mlp due to sub amp relay, etc...
tvuong is offline  
post #1505 of 3159 Old 12-13-2016, 03:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Molon_Labe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,420
Mentioned: 113 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3664 Post(s)
Liked: 4475
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvuong View Post
The SDT recommends to change the same amount of distance on both sub outs if one has subeqht receiver. In my case, i have found my Denon X4000 sometime has the correct distance to my rear subs on sub out 2, other time it was off (~2ft further than the last calibration), So instead of changing distances to both subs, i just change the distance for sub out 2 and has a almost flat response at the xover. The sub distances Audyssey sets in my case are usually about 2-2.5ft further than the actual distance measured to the mlp due to sub amp relay, etc...

I just realized that I hadn't done the tweak. I was running Dirac with the MiniDSP 88a and was setting my distances in that unit. I ended up selling them and when I ran Audyssey I forgot to set the distance. Thanks for the reminder @Alan P

I still have a slight room null @110z that I hope the MBM can sort out. I am also adding some 18's to the rear next week too.
Molon_Labe is offline  
post #1506 of 3159 Old 12-13-2016, 03:44 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
LastButNotLeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: 08077
Posts: 11,047
Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3061 Post(s)
Liked: 2885
Quote:
Originally Posted by donktard View Post
Horrible, box+shipping is probably worth more then Behringer.
$45.
I could just pull the amp and wire the speakers to my iNuke.
But I didn't. They'll get it Thursday.
I'm not holding my breath for when I'll get one back.
Michael
LastButNotLeast is offline  
post #1507 of 3159 Old 12-13-2016, 03:58 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Alan P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 12,698
Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7115 Post(s)
Liked: 6985
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast View Post
Alan's being shy, but he did a nice write-up of the sub distance tweak here:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-su...l#post48610609
Michael
Not being shy, just wanted to know whether to post the "SPL" method or the "REW" method.

Since you linked to the "SPL" version, here is the REW "short" version:

  • Measure CC+subs (REW HDMI CH3)
  • Add/subtract to the sub distance setting (both subs equally) in 1' increments (on some AVRs you must make sure to back out of the distance setting menu before the new setting will take effect)
  • Re-measure
  • Repeat until you get the smoothest transition over the crossover
  • You can repeat the process with the L/R+sub, but will usually have to compromise the CC+subs to get them all fairly smooth (if you are primarily movies, balance the compromise in favor of CC+sub, if music the L/R+sub)

Sony XBR75X940D | Denon X4500H | Nvidia Shield | Synology NAS [52TB] | miniDSP 2x4 HD | TiVo Roamio
PSA MTM210 [x3] | Polk LS/fx [x4] | Klipsch RB61 [x2] | Crowson LvL3 MA [x2] | PSA TV42 Ipal [x2]
Alan P is offline  
post #1508 of 3159 Old 12-13-2016, 04:08 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
LastButNotLeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: 08077
Posts: 11,047
Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3061 Post(s)
Liked: 2885
You can use the RTA feature of REW rather than sweeps if you don't mind pink noise.

Michael
LastButNotLeast is offline  
post #1509 of 3159 Old 12-13-2016, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
dominguez1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,349
Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1176 Post(s)
Liked: 1118
Quote:
Originally Posted by mthomas47 View Post
I know there has been discussion on the ULF Score thread about the ULF difference between being on concrete (or in a concrete box) and being on a wood or suspended floor. Has anyone tried to speculate about whether wall surfaces might make a difference with respect to mid-bass pressure response? Although, I believe that I may be slightly more sensitive to mid-bass TR/PR, I have wondered whether my thick wood paneling might also make a difference. The reason for my speculation is that I feel percussive waves playing music, even at what I would consider very moderate volumes, with no speakers within 12' (and no subs at all).

Does it make sense that the vertical surfaces in the room could reflect pressure waves in a way that enhances the tactile sensation in mid-bass frequencies? It seems to me that, with respect to the mid-bass frequencies, dense reflective vertical surfaces could be a factor in what we feel at chest level.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mthomas47 View Post
Thanks! That flexing property of wood, or glass for that matter, was part of what I have in mind. But, sheetrock flexes too, so I think that density is also an aspect of what I am speculating about. I have a very large room and don't use a couch for either music listening or most of my movie viewing.

It seems to me that this is another dimension to the pressure response phenomenon that is worth discussing. Incidentally, the percussive sensation I am referring to is distinctly in the mid-bass range-- the strike of a kick drum; the deep strum of an upright bass, etc. Those sounds can each create a separate little pressure wave which is palpable from a distance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mthomas47 View Post
Hi,

I don't think we are quite communicating here, and I'm going to let it go after this post.

I am suggesting that room construction may be an influencing factor in determining the sensation of Pressure Response we feel. Just that, nothing more. I'm not talking about room gain in a small room, or about walking around the room and feeling more tactile sensation in some parts of the room, or about ported speakers delivering more Tactile Response.

Dom has differentiated between Tactile Response, which seems to be strongly influenced by floor construction, and by transmission through a riser, or chair or sofa; and Pressure Response, which is more of a direct free air sensation, and which may be influenced by proximity to a driver or a port. I simply speculated that I may be experiencing more mid-bass Pressure Response (it is occurring at chest level, after all) from the nature of the vertical surfaces in my room, which are fairly thick and dense wood paneling. So, if I am correct in that speculation, it is possible that there may be a reflected component to the Pressure Response, at mid-bass frequencies, which is not strictly direct (free air) and proximity-dependent.

I thought that Dom, and others, might want to consider that speculation as part of the increasing body of knowledge regarding the differences among FR, TR and PR, in the same way that room construction may be a factor in determining perceived ULF.

Regards,
Mike
Good points...and good discussion point for clarity to some of these things we experience physically.

Sound Intensity (SIL) is really the cause of sound vibrations directly or indirectly and is made up of two quantities; pressure (SPL) and particle velocity (PVL). In the nearfield, PVL is elevated and why it is more tactile compared to farfield at the same SPL.

Let's looks at the 'ear popping' and 'weight' phenomena. This "pressure feeling" seems to be a function of high SPL in the ULF range, particularly in the lowest octaves. I've experienced this in smaller rooms where there is a lot of room gain (which is dependent on transmission loss related to boundary construction)...

"But wait, I thought you said room gain doesn't significantly impact TR (low PVL)"?

My thought is that because our ears are essentially pressure meters, high ULF SPL impacts our ears and we perceive these things as physical sensations describing them as 'weight' or 'ear popping', like going under water.

Additionally, high ULF has also been described as "goose bumps" or causing an "uneasy" feeling. Looking at the image below:




You can see that the arm has a resonant frequency in the 5-10hz range...which might explain the "goose bumps", and the abdominal cavity has a resonant frequency of 4-8hz...which might explain the "uneasy" feeling.

I think this is what you are essentially describing and a good point of clarification/speculation: what happens with an object's resonant frequency? How does SPL and PVL influence that?

Perhaps...

Resonant frequencies of objects or (body parts in this case) are influenced by SPL where room gain "counts". Why? Because those objects at those frequencies don't need the same amount of PVL in the nearfield to excite them as compared to objects that don't have that same resonant frequency. Even small levels of increased PVL (from room gain) can excite those objects in an elevated fashion, while the non-resonant frequencies would not be impacted.

That being the case, boundary construction that minimizes transmission loss and maximizes room gain (SPL) might excite those resonant frequencies in your chest more for that "chest slam" sensation.

Ever seen those examples where a certain frequency will break a glass while other glasses don't shatter? The glasses that break have resonant frequencies in that range, while the other glasses do not. Same SPL, but some objects are more sensitive.
mthomas47 likes this.

Last edited by dominguez1; 12-13-2016 at 07:10 PM.
dominguez1 is offline  
post #1510 of 3159 Old 12-13-2016, 08:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Europe, Croatia
Posts: 1,746
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked: 565
Quote:
Originally Posted by dominguez1 View Post
Even small levels of increased PVL (from room gain) can excite those objects in an elevated fashion, while the non-resonant frequencies would not be impacted.
You wanted to say SPL, not PVL. Right?

Revel Ultima Salon 2, Revel M106, Revel C208, Yamaha P5000S, Denon X5200, Panasonic 65" VT50, Dual VBSS w Faital 18FH510
Kef LS50, Parasound New Classic, Focusrite 2i4 2nd Gen
donktard is offline  
post #1511 of 3159 Old 12-13-2016, 10:11 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Marc Alexander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Inland Empire, CA
Posts: 14,299
Mentioned: 293 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6111 Post(s)
Liked: 5672
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molon_Labe View Post
How wide is your room Marc?
14½ feet wide.
Molon_Labe likes this.
Marc Alexander is offline  
post #1512 of 3159 Old 12-14-2016, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
dominguez1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,349
Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1176 Post(s)
Liked: 1118
Quote:
Originally Posted by donktard View Post
You wanted to say SPL, not PVL. Right?
Actually, should have said SIL.
dominguez1 is offline  
post #1513 of 3159 Old 12-14-2016, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
dominguez1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,349
Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1176 Post(s)
Liked: 1118
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBuger View Post
Question: Does your seat at the MLP recline back, getting you closer to the 1200D since you have it about 21 inches away?
It doesn't recline, so stays that distance.

Will definitely check out that Potter scene!
dominguez1 is offline  
post #1514 of 3159 Old 12-14-2016, 07:01 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Marc Alexander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Inland Empire, CA
Posts: 14,299
Mentioned: 293 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6111 Post(s)
Liked: 5672
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBuger View Post
IRCC, a while back you said you were underwhelmed when you tried your S3000 in this fashion. Do you think you were underwhelmed with it nearfield possibly from the DO (Dual Opposed) design?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
I have no idea if the Dual Opposed design would have anything to do with TR in this case, my problem was that the S3000s just won't fit behind my chair with a driver facing the chair...I had to place them long-ways and it wasn't very impressive IIRC. I may have to re-visit this option...thanks for bringing it up!
@SBuger I think you are spot on. I have 2 S1500s and a S3000i. The DO setup of the S3000i is less than optimal for nearfield setups IME. I did some AB testing vs the dual S1500s and the dual S1500s won every comparison I knew to perform.

I've been away from AVS and I'm catching up now.

Last edited by Marc Alexander; 12-15-2016 at 04:12 PM.
Marc Alexander is offline  
post #1515 of 3159 Old 12-15-2016, 12:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
SBuger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Land of Enchantment
Posts: 3,189
Mentioned: 565 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1742 Post(s)
Liked: 5900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Alexander View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
I have no idea if the Dual Opposed design would have anything to do with TR in this case, my problem was that the S3000s just won't fit behind my chair with a driver facing the chair...I had to place them long-ways and it wasn't very impressive IIRC. I may have to re-visit this option...thanks for bringing it up!
@SBuger I think you are spot on. I have 2 S1500s and a S3000i. The DO setup of the S3000i is less than optimal for nearfield setups IME. I did some AB testing vs the dual S1500s and the dual S1500s won every comparison I knew to perform.

I've been away from AVS and I'm catching up now.
Interesting, thanks for chiming in. I meant to ask you about it as well when I asked Alan.

My 'Blacked Out' Home Theater | Tactile Response for BASS | BassEQ for Filtered Movies
1400cuft Sealed Room | SY Triple Black Velvet Blackout | GIK Treatments | Denon AVR-X6300H - 7.1.4 Atmos | KEF Q Series Speakers | Epson 5040UB | 120" 16:9 AT Screen | Oppo203 | XB1X | ATV4K | 3x 18" Subs | MegaHoverBOSS w/6x JBL12s HB + 3x 18s CLHB | MegaBossBack w/3x JBL12s BB + 3x BK LFEs MBK | 4x BK LFEs CLBK | 6x Crowson MAs | MiniDSP 10x10HD
SBuger is offline  
post #1516 of 3159 Old 12-15-2016, 06:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
laugsbach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 2,852
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 226
I just had a demo at Dom's house today with his MBM and I left very impressed...

I have known Dom for quite a while and have sat through all of his changes over the years...his system has never sounded better. He ran me through several of his mid bass demos with the MBM off/on and the difference was surprising to me. His system has never lacked in any area but this change was eye opening.

The quality, immersion and detail of these scenes have all increased with the MBM active...it was like a foundation was laid and the rest of the presentation rested comfortably on it. Accuracy comes to my mind...it sounded more accurate and true to what I was watching on his large screen. His surround speakers are pin point and now his subs sound equally "pin point"...the trench scene from War Horse was as good as it gets! The sound of the shells exploding went right through me...

Congrats Dom! A big upgrade from a tiny sub package located right behind the money seat...
laugsbach is offline  
post #1517 of 3159 Old 12-16-2016, 06:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
coolrda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Bakersfield, CA
Posts: 3,923
Mentioned: 245 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked: 1512
Quote:
Originally Posted by mthomas47 View Post
I know there has been discussion on the ULF Score thread about the ULF difference between being on concrete (or in a concrete box) and being on a wood or suspended floor. Has anyone tried to speculate about whether wall surfaces might make a difference with respect to mid-bass pressure response? Although, I believe that I may be slightly more sensitive to mid-bass TR/PR, I have wondered whether my thick wood paneling might also make a difference. The reason for my speculation is that I feel percussive waves playing music, even at what I would consider very moderate volumes, with no speakers within 12' (and no subs at all).

Does it make sense that the vertical surfaces in the room could reflect pressure waves in a way that enhances the tactile sensation in mid-bass frequencies? It seems to me that, with respect to the mid-bass frequencies, dense reflective vertical surfaces could be a factor in what we feel at chest level.
This is absolutely the case. Most of my first six months of VS and Omnimic comparisons testing proved that FR/PR/TR track fairly well with full wavelengths in room. When that wave foldsback, due to the boundary, the problems start. The good news is they, the responses, stay together, unlike whats happens in the low LF and ULF region. The bad news is that peaks and nulls abound to varying degrees and has to be dealt with. FR always trumps TR when it comes to smoothing response and curve setup, even though FR and TR equally important to be immersed. Its not fair but bad FR is destructive. Bad TR does't even exists, does it?
SBuger and mthomas47 like this.
coolrda is offline  
post #1518 of 3159 Old 12-16-2016, 06:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tvuong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 6,006
Mentioned: 108 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3007 Post(s)
Liked: 3092
^^ I can definitely attest to the awesome effect my 2 1200D's added to my experience. I have them on remote On/off switch outlets and can definitely hear the BIG impact when they are on. Currently playing a 15 second loop back clip from John Wick club fight scene with the AC outlet switch remote control on my hand at mlp that I can turn the MBMs on/off instantly. Everytime the MBMs are on, i have a big smile on my face and say to myself 'that's more like it' . Gun shots just have more weight to it, background music just sounds more club like and of course my couch shakes more. The 1200d pair has brought my system up a notch (more like 2 notches)
SBuger and dominguez1 like this.
tvuong is offline  
post #1519 of 3159 Old 12-16-2016, 11:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Molon_Labe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,420
Mentioned: 113 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3664 Post(s)
Liked: 4475
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvuong View Post
^^ I can definitely attest to the awesome effect my 2 1200D's added to my experience. I have them on remote On/off switch outlets and can definitely hear the BIG impact when they are on. Currently playing a 15 second loop back clip from John Wick club fight scene with the AC outlet switch remote control on my hand at mlp that I can turn the MBMs on/off instantly. Everytime the MBMs are on, i have a big smile on my face and say to myself 'that's more like it' . Gun shots just have more weight to it, background music just sounds more club like and of course my couch shakes more. The 1200d pair has brought my system up a notch (more like 2 notches)
FedEx can't get here fast enough. I look forward to experiencing the same results when my two arrive.
Molon_Labe is offline  
post #1520 of 3159 Old 12-16-2016, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
dominguez1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,349
Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1176 Post(s)
Liked: 1118
Quote:
Originally Posted by laugsbach View Post
I just had a demo at Dom's house today with his MBM and I left very impressed...

I have known Dom for quite a while and have sat through all of his changes over the years...his system has never sounded better. He ran me through several of his mid bass demos with the MBM off/on and the difference was surprising to me. His system has never lacked in any area but this change was eye opening.

The quality, immersion and detail of these scenes have all increased with the MBM active...it was like a foundation was laid and the rest of the presentation rested comfortably on it. Accuracy comes to my mind...it sounded more accurate and true to what I was watching on his large screen. His surround speakers are pin point and now his subs sound equally "pin point"...the trench scene from War Horse was as good as it gets! The sound of the shells exploding went right through me...

Congrats Dom! A big upgrade from a tiny sub package located right behind the money seat...
Thanks laugsbach!

Always a pleasure having you over...look forward to next week and checking out the new projector! Also, I am looking forward to baptizing your system with some VS holy water as well! Laugsbach has monster setup comprised of 8x18s, and the ported ricci monster sub. In addition to that, he's got a pair of crowsons and BKs....he's missing some MBMs though...

If you'd like, I could bring the 1200D over if you wanted to test it out...

I think I've found my go to demo: War Horse Trench scene...it has everything from ULF to Midbass to surround mix...for my system at least, I think it's the best demo scene I've heard on my system yet.
Marc Alexander and laugsbach like this.
dominguez1 is offline  
post #1521 of 3159 Old 12-16-2016, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
dominguez1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,349
Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1176 Post(s)
Liked: 1118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molon_Labe View Post
FedEx can't get here fast enough. I look forward to experiencing the same results when my two arrive.
What subs are you integrating the 1200Ds with?
dominguez1 is offline  
post #1522 of 3159 Old 12-16-2016, 11:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Molon_Labe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,420
Mentioned: 113 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3664 Post(s)
Liked: 4475
Quote:
Originally Posted by dominguez1 View Post
What subs are you integrating the 1200Ds with?
Two Deep Sea Sound 24" Mariana that have upgraded SI-BHS driver.

I am also adding two DIY DS4-18's to the rear of the room but the cabinets aren't done yet.
Molon_Labe is offline  
post #1523 of 3159 Old 12-16-2016, 11:54 AM
Senior Member
 
stsand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 209
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molon_Labe View Post
Two Deep Sea Sound 24" Mariana that have upgraded SI-BHS driver.

I am also adding two DIY DS4-18's to the rear of the room but the cabinets aren't done yet.
How big is your room? Can't recall if you've stated dimensions. Okay, I'm just too lazy to look.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
stsand is offline  
post #1524 of 3159 Old 12-16-2016, 11:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Molon_Labe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,420
Mentioned: 113 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3664 Post(s)
Liked: 4475
Quote:
Originally Posted by stsand View Post
How big is your room? Can't recall if you've stated dimensions. Okay, I'm just too lazy to look.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
10x8


Just kidding

20 wide by 30 deep. However, it does have knee walls and angled ceilings (bonus room over 3 car garage), so I loose a lot of volume. I am too lazy to do the math to determine the total volume of the room. Being a suspended floor makes it a ton of fun though.
Molon_Labe is offline  
post #1525 of 3159 Old 12-16-2016, 11:58 AM
Senior Member
 
stsand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 209
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molon_Labe View Post
10x8


Just kidding

20 wide by 30 deep. However, it does have knee walls and angled ceilings (bonus room over 3 car garage), so I loose a lot of volume. I am too lazy to do the math to determine the total volume of the room. Being a suspended floor makes it a ton of fun though.
Wow. Huge space!

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
stsand is offline  
post #1526 of 3159 Old 12-16-2016, 12:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Molon_Labe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,420
Mentioned: 113 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3664 Post(s)
Liked: 4475
Quote:
Originally Posted by stsand View Post
Wow. Huge space!

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
Yeah, its a good sized room even with the angled ceilings and half walls.
Molon_Labe is offline  
post #1527 of 3159 Old 12-16-2016, 02:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Europe, Croatia
Posts: 1,746
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked: 565
Well, I did some experimenting today at rehearsal with band. I was testing out on guitar cabinet when does chest rattle fun start. No front port...maybe back port but I hardly find it relevant. About 115 dB from 1feet produces desired effect, 120-125 is probably sweet spot but 20-30 seconds of bashing guitar easily leaves me out of breath because of all chest rattle. I suppose ported equivalent would require less SPL for similar chest slam effect. Also, effect was much better when directed to chest instead to back (but I am a pretty stiff guy so count that in equation). My SPL meter fails after 125, but it did get rather insane when cranking volume up further.
Drummers kick drum was actually really strong today. For all those who don't know, kick drum has a port, interestingly though chest slam was harder in a room mode then out of it on similar distance (even though both times I was in front of a port). I didn't measure SPL or try to move closer to test PVL further, will leave that for next time.

So, right now I have concluded that it might take quite a bit more SPL on MBM for effect I want to achieve, and that it will either require crazy house curve or maybe just pronounced bell curve in port tune area. Will know for sure when replacement MBM arrives...but either way, I am pretty happy even with flat response and just a bit of a punch added.

Revel Ultima Salon 2, Revel M106, Revel C208, Yamaha P5000S, Denon X5200, Panasonic 65" VT50, Dual VBSS w Faital 18FH510
Kef LS50, Parasound New Classic, Focusrite 2i4 2nd Gen
donktard is offline  
post #1528 of 3159 Old 12-16-2016, 02:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
COACH2369's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 3,516
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1239 Post(s)
Liked: 1049
Over the last week or so, I have been playing around with both the Berhringer and a DSS Mariana 18 in Nearfield...

Couldn't agree more with how much fun these add to the overall experience...and I will add that I haven't done any different calibrations. Just plugged these in with the existing settings in place for the dual Mariana 24's.

The fun part will be when Chad gets here next month and really gets them playing nice together.

At this point I prefer just the sound of the Mariana 18, if I am picking one over the other. I might decide to keep both of them in play, but that won't be decided until Chad is here next month.

You are in for a treat Molon!
Molon_Labe likes this.
COACH2369 is offline  
post #1529 of 3159 Old 12-16-2016, 02:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tvuong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 6,006
Mentioned: 108 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3007 Post(s)
Liked: 3092
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molon_Labe View Post
Two Deep Sea Sound 24" Mariana that have upgraded SI-BHS driver.

I am also adding two DIY DS4-18's to the rear of the room but the cabinets aren't done yet.
Plus 7 JBL 4722's and 2 upcoming 1200D's .
tvuong is offline  
post #1530 of 3159 Old 12-16-2016, 03:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Molon_Labe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,420
Mentioned: 113 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3664 Post(s)
Liked: 4475
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvuong View Post
Plus 7 JBL 4722's and 2 upcoming 1200D's .
Guilty as charged

When you coming back to San Antonio for that demo? Sorry the room wasn't finished last time you were in town.
Molon_Labe is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off