Nearfield Ported MBM for Increased Mid-Bass Tactile Response - Page 93 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1715Likes

post #2761 of 3120 Old 08-23-2017, 07:37 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 225 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5147 Post(s)
Liked: 4696
Quote:
Originally Posted by keeper View Post
I just purchased a pair of dt bp3000s. To my surprise they have more than enough bass for my room. I always have read bad things about the subs in these speakers but they produce a lot of spl in my room. That's why I can move my v1801 around. Vnf is one of the spots I'm trying. Spl meter- Yamaha 3040.
I would set the V1801 level as high as you can without it being localizable and blending well with your mains.
keeper and SBuger like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2762 of 3120 Old 08-23-2017, 07:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 299 Post(s)
Quoted: 1127 Post(s)
Liked: 3460
Quote:
So I was able to try my V1801 vnf. Wow, it really adds a lot of tactile bass being that close. In this case I think less is better. Gain is only at like 9 o'clock. Still experimenting but I like it very much. Any tips for using a sub this close as far as gain?
Awesome! As far as the gain goes, just adjust to taste basically. If you want more tactile feel (and probably more slam to go with it) bump up the gain a little on the VNF and/or move the sub a bit closer (a couple of inches can make a very big difference IME). Vise versa for the opposite. With the Very Near Field, you can pretty much have it be what ever you want it to be, with a bit of experimenting and fine tuning.

If you have other subs in the mix (Farfield up front and/or spread around the room), it makes this a lot more possible. Meaning keeping a good FR while getting the TR and intensity balance that you want between the Farfield and Nearfield.

It could be something quick and easy or something that you could spend a whole lot of time on, depending on what you want out of it and how picky you are. REW or Omni can really help if you don't already have it.
keeper and unretarded like this.

My "Blacked Out" Home Theater Room
1400cuft sealed room on suspended floor | SY Triple Black Velvet for Blackout | Denon AVR-X6300H - 7.6.4 Atmos | KEF Q Series Speakers | GIK Treatments | Oppo UDP 203 | Eyes 7' to 120" AT Seymour Drop Screen | Epson 5030 PJ | 6x 18" Sealed DIY Subs (4x SI DS4-18s & 2x UM22-18s) | 6x Crowson MAs | 4x BK LFEs | BOSS 3x JBL-12s | MiniDSP 10x10HD
post #2763 of 3120 Old 08-24-2017, 01:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

LOL ...I seem to never be done ....I guess I just love experimenting So far I'm loving the new configuration with the sealed 18 stacked on top of the Rythmik FV15HP. As much as I love my sealed 18's, there is no denying that the FV15HP is bloody good and is a TR beast (as well as sounds real close to my sealed 18's). Also, so far the wife hasn't noticed, or least said anything yet for the last couple of days, so I think it's staying!!

Surprisingly, I was able to get the FV15HP integrated full range pretty easily with the sealed 18's. This is the first time I've tried it like this.

Not sure what I'm gonna do with the 1200d now (I'm sure I'll find a place for it). The difference in feel is interesting compared to having the 1200d stacked on top where the sealed 18 is now (on top of the FV15HP). Hard to compare apples to apples because now I'm able to run my subs pretty much exactly 3db hotter like this and not have the bass sound boomy and overbearing. Almost like its out of phase so it lets me up my trims to get the same SPL, but its not (at least its not showing it in REW). Crazy, but I'll take it!! It really helps bring the slam. Also it's cool to have a full range driver up chest high as well compared to cutting off at about 45hz. So far, it feels a fair amount bigger to me.

I messed around quite a bit with Underworld: Blood Wars and Creed. In Creed when Creed and Balboa enter the stadium for the last fight, the bass in the music hits me in a way that just feels bigger (probably because there is some under 45hz stuff as well). It seems to enter my body more, making the feeling a little more euphoric. Same with when his opponent enters ...that big bass drop, the music and when Creed nocks that other dude down. Creed has some pretty crazy bass in it, and a lot under 20hz as well.

I'm looking forward to messing with it some more and see how I like it over the next week or so. Works great at my MLP since that seat doesn't reline. It wouldn't work so well on the reclining seat seats. For fun, here is a shot of it ....

coolrda, Alan P, ereed and 3 others like this.

1400cuft sealed room on suspended floor | SY Triple Black Velvet for Blackout | Denon AVR-X6300H - 7.6.4 Atmos | KEF Q Series Speakers | GIK Treatments | Oppo UDP 203 | Eyes 7' to 120" AT Seymour Drop Screen | Epson 5030 PJ | 6x 18" Sealed DIY Subs (4x SI DS4-18s & 2x UM22-18s) | 6x Crowson MAs | 4x BK LFEs | BOSS 3x JBL-12s | MiniDSP 10x10HD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2764 of 3120 Old 08-24-2017, 02:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 243 Post(s)
Quoted: 1387 Post(s)
Liked: 1503
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBuger View Post
LOL ...I seem to never be done ....I guess I just love experimenting So far I'm loving the new configuration with the sealed 18 stacked on top of the Rythmik FV15HP. As much as I love my sealed 18's, there is no denying that the FV15HP is bloody good and is a TR beast (as well as sounds real close to my sealed 18's). Also, so far the wife hasn't noticed, or least said anything yet for the last couple of days, so I think it's staying!!

Surprisingly, I was able to get the FV15HP integrated full range pretty easily with the sealed 18's. This is the first time I've tried it like this.

Not sure what I'm gonna do with the 1200d now (I'm sure I'll find a place for it). The difference in feel is interesting compared to having the 1200d stacked on top where the sealed 18 is now (on top of the FV15HP). Hard to compare apples to apples because now I'm able to run my subs pretty much exactly 3db hotter like this and not have the bass sound boomy and overbearing. Almost like its out of phase so it lets me up my trims to get the same SPL, but its not (at least its not showing it in REW). Crazy, but I'll take it!! It really helps bring the slam. Also it's cool to have a full range driver up chest high as well compared to cutting off at about 45hz. So far, it feels a fair amount bigger to me.

I messed around quite a bit with Underworld: Blood Wars and Creed. In Creed when Creed and Balboa enter the stadium for the last fight, the bass in the music hits me in a way that just feels bigger (probably because there is some under 45hz stuff as well). It seems to enter my body more, making the feeling a little more euphoric. Same with when his opponent enters ...that big bass drop, the music and when Creed nocks that other dude down. Creed has some pretty crazy bass in it, and a lot under 20hz as well.

I'm looking forward to messing with it some more and see how I like it over the next week or so. Works great at my MLP since that seat doesn't reline. It wouldn't work so well on the reclining seat seats. For fun, here is a shot of it ....

I was just gonna ask if anyone has tried that. Ha. Just take one of your subs and set it up like a powered MBM and place it in the same position and....well....you did it. That's how I'll do it. Nice!
SBuger likes this.

Last edited by coolrda; 08-24-2017 at 05:44 PM.
post #2765 of 3120 Old 08-24-2017, 05:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolrda View Post
I was just gonna asked if anyone has tried that. Ha. Just take one of your subs and set it up like a powered MBM and place it in the same position and....well....you did it. That's how I'll do it. Nice!
Thanks cool, perfect timing then Let us know what you think of it when you get it set up, as well as those new seats and stuff!

Good to see you posting again. BTW, I like your new avatar ....wicked and classy looking!

post #2766 of 3120 Old 08-24-2017, 05:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBuger View Post
Thanks cool, perfect timing then Let us know what you think of it when you get it set up, as well as those new seats and stuff!

Good to see you posting again. BTW, I like your new avatar ....wicked and classy looking!
Thanks SB. For starters, I know we both had concerns of premium seating killing TR. You just never know about how these things can turnout. Well, no need to worry.
SBuger likes this.

Last edited by coolrda; 11-01-2017 at 06:05 AM.
post #2767 of 3120 Old 08-27-2017, 10:21 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 87
hi guys,

i have dual rythmiks LVX12s in front @ 12ft, i need more TR and mid bass slam.

i want a 1200D but my only available spot is as end table between my two recliners because my ht is in our living room.

my receiver just have audyssey XT ( denon s720w) and i don't know how to use REW.

if i place the 1200D on my back wall beside my couch what set up i need to put on the back of the sub?

boost fequency. ?
boost. ?
high cut. ?
level. ?
phase. ?

in which input or output i have to connect the subwoofer cable from the receiver?

what kind of wireless adapter can i use to avoid the cable from the receiver?

sorry but i'm newbie here...thanks in advance
post #2768 of 3120 Old 08-28-2017, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banyar View Post
hi guys,

i want a 1200D but my only available spot is as end table between my two recliners because my ht is in our living room.

my receiver just have audyssey XT ( denon s720w) and i don't know how to use REW.

if i place the 1200D on my back wall beside my couch what set up i need to put on the back of the sub?

boost fequency. ?
boost. ?
high cut. ?
level. ?
phase. ?

in which input or output i have to connect the subwoofer cable from the receiver?

can somebody help me please?
post #2769 of 3120 Old 08-28-2017, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 163 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked: 1111
Quote:
hi guys,

boost fequency. ?
boost. ?
high cut. ?
level. ?
phase. ?

Unfortunately, it all depends...

You need to get the 1200D in your room and start to play with it and blend it in with your other subs so that it doesn't stand out (can't be distinctly heard) by itself. The idea is to have the 1200D provide extra TR, but not color the excellent sq of your rythmiks.

Blending in this manner is different for every room. It will be even more difficult without REW as well. I would highly recommend learning that first.

However, if you must; you can try and dial everything in by your own taste and see what sounds/feels the best. This will involve tweaking many of the settings on the back to see what you like.

As a guideline, you could boost at around 65hz or so. All the other dials can be adjusted based on your taste and balance of TR and SQ.

As I said, you really should learn REW or purchase Omnimic first.
post #2770 of 3120 Old 08-28-2017, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominguez1 View Post
Quote:
hi guys,

boost fequency. ?
boost. ?
high cut. ?
level. ?
phase. ?

Unfortunately, it all depends...

You need to get the 1200D in your room and start to play with it and blend it in with your other subs so that it doesn't stand out (can't be distinctly heard) by itself. The idea is to have the 1200D provide extra TR, but not color the excellent sq of your rythmiks.

Blending in this manner is different for every room. It will be even more difficult without REW as well. I would highly recommend learning that first.

However, if you must; you can try and dial everything in by your own taste and see what sounds/feels the best. This will involve tweaking many of the settings on the back to see what you like.

As a guideline, you could boost at around 65hz or so. All the other dials can be adjusted based on your taste and balance of TR and SQ.

As I said, you really should learn REW or purchase Omnimic first.
thank you dominguez,

i have another dumb question, my receiver only have two subwoofers outputs so if i need to connect a third subwoofer how can i do it? with a "Y" splitter in one of the subwoofer output from the receiver?
post #2771 of 3120 Old 08-28-2017, 07:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 111 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1284 Post(s)
Liked: 3161
Quote:
thank you dominguez,

i have another dumb question, my receiver only have two subwoofers outputs so if i need to connect a third subwoofer how can i do it? with a "Y" splitter in one of the subwoofer output from the receiver?
Yes, an RCA splitter is what you want, but if the third sub is a B1200D, you'll need an RCA to XLR adapter as the Behringer has no RCA inputs.

Speakers: PSA MT-210T x2, MTM-210C, MT-110SR x2; Atmos - SVS Satellite x2, DIY Volt-10 x2
Subs: PSA V1801 x2; DIY - 18" RSS460HO, 15" RSS390HO x2
Transducers: Crowson Tech x2, BOSS Platform w/JBL 12" x3
Processing: Denon X4200, NU6KDSP, 3KDSP
Video: Epson 3700; Screen: Silver Ticket 106" High Contrast
post #2772 of 3120 Old 08-28-2017, 08:13 PM

Quote:
hi guys,

boost fequency. ?
boost. ?
high cut. ?
level. ?
phase. ?

Adding an MBM is an advanced topic that I wouldn't recommend for a newbie right off the bat.

If I were you I would try one of the Rythmiks as an end table first. Post in the Rythmik thread and work with Rythmik to optimize them first.

You may want to add a MiniDSP 2x4 HD so you can add PEQ to help tune mid-bass on your Rythmiks to your liking. The MiniDSP is a great tool when its time to add a MBM.
post #2773 of 3120 Old 08-31-2017, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ll3d00d View Post
it's in https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...ion-meter.html

I have compared them, VS is miles off both my analogue accelerometer (I have an ACH-01) and the rpi based one. The rpi tracks the ACH-01 closely so I am confident in its accuracy. I posted a comparison somewhere on avs, perhaps on that vibe thread.
I now have the Clio Pocket kit. I just learned that it supports the ACH-01, so I have ordered one from digi!

http://www.audiomatica.com/wp/?page_id=264
http://www.audiomatica.com/wp/wp-con...ads/ach_01.pdf
https://media.digikey.com/pdf/Data%2...DFs/ach_01.pdf

I may still build the RPI but I am focusing on Clio for now.
post #2774 of 3120 Old 08-31-2017, 06:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Alexander View Post
I now have the Clio Pocket kit. I just learned that it supports the ACH-01, so I have ordered one from digi!

http://www.audiomatica.com/wp/?page_id=264
http://www.audiomatica.com/wp/wp-con...ads/ach_01.pdf
https://media.digikey.com/pdf/Data%2...DFs/ach_01.pdf

I may still build the RPI but I am focusing on Clio for now.
Lay it out for me please. Total cost, parts and build.
post #2775 of 3120 Old 08-31-2017, 11:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 229 Post(s)
Quoted: 2224 Post(s)
Liked: 2241
FWIW the rpi is better for this use case as you really need to measure on all 3 axes and only need a limited frequency resolution. The ACH-01 is better suited for things like measuring cabinet resonances.
post #2776 of 3120 Old 10-04-2017, 02:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I thought it was time for a post in this thread since its been a while since it's had much activity. The last time I posted (a couple posts up above), I was experimenting with stacking one of my sealed 18's up chest level right behind me VNF style in place of my 1200d MBM.

I never did make it back in here to give my impressions of it compared to the 1200d after I lived with it for a week or so. So here goes a quick summary:

I really liked what the sealed 18" brought in place of the 1200d. For lack of a better word, it felt a little bigger. Maybe because the driver is just physically a lot bigger, or maybe because the frequencies did not stop and roll off at around 45-50hz like it does on the 1200d - you get it all from MB down to the ULF. So after I lived with it for a while and lots of demoing of different movie material, I kind of began to miss the 1200d in that spot. Not just because of the big size of the 2 18's stacked behind the couch in the middle of the living room (kind of an eyesore), but because I felt like when it came to the mid bass chest slam (which is what the 1200d is all about here), the 18 just wasn't quite as lethal feeling. The 1200d had more of a concentrated feel, like a direct hit to the chest that is hard to describe. It gave a little more of that take your breath away feeling, along with that direct hit to the chest thing I was talking about. The combo of that can build up some pretty crazy pressure in the chest cavity after taking hit after hit on movie material that has a lot of good MB. Do that for a period of time, and it can make the chest ache pretty good. That might not sound so good, but it is So I ended moving it back.

But now for an experiment, I moved all my gear up to a 1400 cuft room to compare to my huge room downstairs on concrete, because I've always wanted a dedicated room and thought I may just luck out and get one after all without having to move to a different house if I liked it.

So I still have the VNF 18's right behind me (well surrounding me this time in my single recliner), and have the 1200d stacked on top of the sealed 18 right behind me as well to get it up high on my back. I have to say, I'm still VERY impressed at what this little 1200d can bring to the chest pounding party! My VNF 18's still do most of it, but the 1200d definitely adds to it. It doesn't even really effect my FR at all, which is cool. It's so close right behind me that it doesn't need to be turned up much at all the get the effect. What a great way to enhance the experience with this little $300 woofer. Yes I'm sure there is better out there (Marc Alexander showed a few not to long ago that looked good, as well as the diysoundgroup stuff), but then again, maybe not when it comes to doing what it does best and it is right behind you, which is pound the hell out of your chest. Yup ...I'm still singing its praise after quite a while now and don't really see that changing anytime soon!

Here's a few pics of how I have it positioned in the new test setup. A bit of VNF madness I guess you could say ...

Last edited by SBuger; 10-04-2017 at 02:39 PM.
post #2777 of 3120 Old 10-04-2017, 04:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 594 Post(s)
Liked: 241
Ok probably a stupid question but here it goes. I have my v1801 behind my main seating and I love what it does. My flooring is cork on concrete. Would adding isolators to my theater recliner increase the impact of the v1801?
post #2778 of 3120 Old 10-06-2017, 01:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Ok probably a stupid question but here it goes. I have my v1801 behind my main seating and I love what it does. My flooring is cork on concrete. Would adding isolators to my theater recliner increase the impact of the v1801?
It may or may not increase the shake a little, IDK, but probably not the impact. But, you never know until you try it (go for it). I would think to increase the impact, you would need to either move the sub a little closer (this will most likely increase shake as well), turn up the level on the sub via the sub trim or gain on the amp, or create a bit of a house curve with PEQ in a certain area or areas (maybe in the 50-80hz region where the mid bass chest punch resides).

Impact and Shake/TR usually go hand in hand with VNF right behind the seating, but might not always be the case exactly, depending on your seating and where and how much the sub is actually contributing in relation to your other subs.
keeper and unretarded like this.

post #2779 of 3120 Old 10-16-2017, 10:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 903 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Hi guys. How much of db increase does MB frequencies (assuming its 50-120Hz) need to get the strong chest slam if sub is not NF? I have a 23x14x8 sealed room and my subs are placed 75" away from MLP. I have been trying to get that super punchy MB slam. Before I doubt my subs, wanna know if I have dialed them properly. Currently this is what I have

30Hz: 12dB Hotter
50Hz: 10dB Hotter
80: 8dB
100: 5dB
120: 3.5dB
150: 2.5dB
300: 1dB
400: Flat

I have good room treatment and reflection is in good control and therefore, I can turn up the system fairly loud.
Thx.
post #2780 of 3120 Old 10-16-2017, 12:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked: 869
Gene Delascalla from Audioholics has done some work on where these “chest thumping” frequencies reside. The conclusion: from 50-63hz.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
unretarded likes this.
post #2781 of 3120 Old 10-16-2017, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrisu View Post
Hi guys. How much of db increase does MB frequencies (assuming its 50-120Hz) need to get the strong chest slam if sub is not NF? I have a 23x14x8 sealed room and my subs are placed 75" away from MLP. I have been trying to get that super punchy MB slam. Before I doubt my subs, wanna know if I have dialed them properly. Currently this is what I have

30Hz: 12dB Hotter
50Hz: 10dB Hotter
80: 8dB
100: 5dB
120: 3.5dB
150: 2.5dB
300: 1dB
400: Flat

I have good room treatment and reflection is in good control and therefore, I can turn up the system fairly loud.
Thx.
Your question is simple and straightforward. The answer is not!

What subs (sealed or ported?)? What main speakers & x-over? Sub EQ? REQ? What measurement tools?

I find that boost centered at 63Hz is the most effective. It requires trial & error.
post #2782 of 3120 Old 10-17-2017, 09:00 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked: 228
I ordered a 1200D today,should be delivered on Thursday,I currently have a HSU MBM,going to see if there is much difference. I'm assuming that the Behringer should be better,I'll keep ya posted.

bscool and unretarded like this.

2 Channel: Fi 2A3 mono's,Hovland HP100,Technics SP10MK2/SME/Benz....HT:126" Seymour AT Screen,JBL Studio 590's for LCR, Side and Rear Surrounds. Jbl SCS8'S for Fr Heights, and Rear Heights,2 Epik Empire Subs,2 Behringer B1200D Midbass Subs,Marantz 7702MK2,Proceed Amp-5,Outlaw 7125,Panasonic UB900,Toshiba HD35,JVC RS600. Black Velvet.
post #2783 of 3120 Old 10-20-2017, 04:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skypop View Post
I ordered a 1200D today,should be delivered on Thursday,I currently have a HSU MBM,going to see if there is much difference. I'm assuming that the Behringer should be better,I'll keep ya posted.

Well I received my 1200 today,so far so good,what are the increments for the frequencies? So I know where I'm at with the controls,what kind of knob positions are people using? Just to get me going. You the way my room is on a Concrete floor in my basement. Thanks for any help.

2 Channel: Fi 2A3 mono's,Hovland HP100,Technics SP10MK2/SME/Benz....HT:126" Seymour AT Screen,JBL Studio 590's for LCR, Side and Rear Surrounds. Jbl SCS8'S for Fr Heights, and Rear Heights,2 Epik Empire Subs,2 Behringer B1200D Midbass Subs,Marantz 7702MK2,Proceed Amp-5,Outlaw 7125,Panasonic UB900,Toshiba HD35,JVC RS600. Black Velvet.
post #2784 of 3120 Old 10-21-2017, 11:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Well I received my 1200 today,so far so good,what are the increments for the frequencies? So I know where I'm at with the controls,what kind of knob positions are people using? Just to get me going. You the way my room is on a Concrete floor in my basement. Thanks for any help.

Last night I did some more adjusting of the Gain,Boost,Frequency of Boost and I have it sounding very good,works good with my Epic Subs. Still more testing to do but so far I'm really liking the extra Feel without having to play with my Empires to much.

post #2785 of 3120 Old 10-22-2017, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Last night I did some more adjusting of the Gain,Boost,Frequency of Boost and I have it sounding very good,works good with my Epic Subs. Still more testing to do but so far I'm really liking the extra Feel without having to play with my Empires to much.

Congrats on the 1200d! It really is the little engine that could!

Dial it in via how they feel first, then check your FR.
skypop likes this.
post #2786 of 3120 Old 10-24-2017, 05:09 AM
Advanced Member

So far the 1200D is much more impactful than my HSU midbass cabinet! So I bought another one! Lol. Was watching Pacific Rim last night and with both of them with the Gain on 9-10 the sound was The best sound I've ever heard in my room or most rooms I've ever heard! They are sitting about 3-4' apart behind my couch.

post #2787 of 3120 Old 10-31-2017, 07:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 903 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Alexander View Post
Your question is simple and straightforward. The answer is not!

What subs (sealed or ported?)? What main speakers & x-over? Sub EQ? REQ? What measurement tools?

I find that boost centered at 63Hz is the most effective. It requires trial & error.
Sorry, I totally missed your post.
Subs: 2 Gamma 218 placed at 75" away from MLP on each side of room, 2 DIY passive subs each with 18" in front of room (all subs sealed and placed carefully to get best FR).
Mains: L/C/R JBL 4722N
Room Correction System: Dirac.
Cross-Over: Currently using at 100
Measurement Tool: REW

Also, since I use Dirac, boosting a specific area in FR is fairly easy. Sub is 10dB hot. Here is my current FR at MLP.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Center with front and back subs.jpg
Views:	548
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	2308330  
chucky7 and unretarded like this.
post #2788 of 3120 Old 11-02-2017, 04:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 594 Post(s)
Liked: 241
So a few months ago I incorporated a v1801 vnf as right behind my middle recliner. Great effect love what it does. I recently purchased a pair of dt-bp7000s and use them as surrounds. They are within a couple feet of my side chairs. They also do a great job with tactile feel.
post #2789 of 3120 Old 11-03-2017, 02:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 78
I'm getting ready to take down my setup and begin construction on a dedicated room. I'm currently in an open basement using 4 Danley DTS-10's. I had a hard time getting the Danleys to all play nicely together but am still learning. I'm in Dayton, Ohio and see a couple guys are close if anyone is willing to help/teach? I'd also love to check out your setups.....any way back to the point.

The dedicated room is in a basement on a concrete slab. I really want to build a riser for 2 rows of seats and design it with TR in mind. After seeing this thread o decided to buy a 1200D to see what I thought (I did have an HSU MBM a few years ago but never got it working to my liking). So far I like the effect from the D1200. I do have a lot of tweaking to do as I feel I'm losing some fidelity of the DTS-10's.

it will be difficult to design the riser I'm thinking because after soundproofing the room ceiling height will only be 7'8" or so and I wanna keep as much height as possible. I plan on placing one DTS-10 in each corner of the room when it's finalized with my original idea being to build the riser multi level so both rows of seating would be on the riser as well as the rear DTS-10s.

Reading into this thread I thought I'd try the 1200D to see how I like it. And now am thinking of only building a riser for the rear seating, subs still on riser but putting 3-4 of the 1200D's or 3 or 4 DIY sound group MBM's as they both have smaller dimensions as I'll need to keep the rear riser no higher than 13" or so.

Any thoughts or suggestions? And again I'd love to meet some of the Ohio guys in the thread and maybe get some setup advice and help with REW.

Sorry if things were repeated wife and kids wouldn't leave me alone as I was typing this 😗

post #2790 of 3120 Old 11-05-2017, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcallister View Post
I'm getting ready to take down my setup and begin construction on a dedicated room. I'm currently in an open basement using 4 Danley DTS-10's. I had a hard time getting the Danleys to all play nicely together but am still learning. I'm in Dayton, Ohio and see a couple guys are close if anyone is willing to help/teach? I'd also love to check out your setups.....any way back to the point.

The dedicated room is in a basement on a concrete slab. I really want to build a riser for 2 rows of seats and design it with TR in mind. After seeing this thread o decided to buy a 1200D to see what I thought (I did have an HSU MBM a few years ago but never got it working to my liking). So far I like the effect from the D1200. I do have a lot of tweaking to do as I feel I'm losing some fidelity of the DTS-10's.

it will be difficult to design the riser I'm thinking because after soundproofing the room ceiling height will only be 7'8" or so and I wanna keep as much height as possible. I plan on placing one DTS-10 in each corner of the room when it's finalized with my original idea being to build the riser multi level so both rows of seating would be on the riser as well as the rear DTS-10s.

Reading into this thread I thought I'd try the 1200D to see how I like it. And now am thinking of only building a riser for the rear seating, subs still on riser but putting 3-4 of the 1200D's or 3 or 4 DIY sound group MBM's as they both have smaller dimensions as I'll need to keep the rear riser no higher than 13" or so.

Any thoughts or suggestions? And again I'd love to meet some of the Ohio guys in the thread and maybe get some setup advice and help with REW.

Sorry if things were repeated wife and kids wouldn't leave me alone as I was typing this 😗
Hey there! You've got quite the fire power with the quad DTS10s! Nice!

Normally I'd gladly swing by and help (I'm in Cincinnati), but way too busy at the moment. Perhaps @laugsbach would be interested...

My immediate thought is to put your a pair of your DTS10s in the riser with the mouth firing up at your seats. @Scott Simonian built a sub riser and is very effective.

You could also put the mbms as you envisioned behind those seats. That would be some serious TR and Intensity! You'll get the ulf wobble from the dts and chest slam from the mbms.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page