got a couple of g's to spend looking for a little advice. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 29Likes
  • 1 Post By Oledurt
  • 1 Post By gajCA
  • 1 Post By XBR11
  • 1 Post By torii
  • 2 Post By basshead81
  • 1 Post By Oledurt
  • 1 Post By rchunter
  • 1 Post By dsrussell
  • 1 Post By torii
  • 2 Post By Oledurt
  • 1 Post By Kini62
  • 1 Post By basshead81
  • 1 Post By Oledurt
  • 2 Post By Tom Vodhanel
  • 1 Post By Molon_Labe
  • 1 Post By Oledurt
  • 2 Post By Majister
  • 1 Post By lizrussspike
  • 4 Post By Oledurt
  • 1 Post By lizrussspike
  • 1 Post By Defcon
  • 1 Post By Oledurt
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 05-20-2016, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Oledurt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 609
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 571
got a couple of g's to spend looking for a little advice.

Should I go for duals or get one monster. I have a dedicated home theater in a basement. 2000 cu ft. 7.2.4 system all Klipsch Reference Premier.

I currently have a couple rythmik f15hp's which are really good for music but i need a bit more for home theater.

I pretty much watch movies so a good solid movie sub or subs would do me fine.

I have owned rythmik and svs subs. I think ported would be good for me since I am into movies mostly.

Any and all advice greatly appreciated.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
oneeyeblind likes this.
Oledurt is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 23 Old 05-20-2016, 01:22 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gajCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Posts: 18,103
Mentioned: 208 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8452 Post(s)
Liked: 5636
Tell us how you have the two rather powerful subs placed in the room at the moment; have you tried different placements, (ie. one in the front corner and the other behind the listening area on the opposite side of the room firing sideways)?

Also attached is a view of your amp; how do you have everything set?

Limiter on and rumble filter on?

Bass extension filter setting?

http://www.rythmikaudio.com/download...quickguide.pdf
oneeyeblind likes this.

Last edited by gajCA; 05-20-2016 at 01:29 PM.
gajCA is online now  
post #3 of 23 Old 05-20-2016, 01:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
XBR11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,496
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 805 Post(s)
Liked: 451
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oledurt View Post
got a couple of g's to spend looking for a little advice.
For a couple of g's I will be glad to sell you my little advice.

oneeyeblind likes this.
XBR11 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 23 Old 05-20-2016, 01:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
torii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 6,495
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3175 Post(s)
Liked: 1781
what kind of spl's you hitting now and how loud you want to be at?
oneeyeblind likes this.

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5 Subs: Rythmik FV25HP, Rythmik FV15HP
torii is offline  
post #5 of 23 Old 05-20-2016, 02:10 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
basshead81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Fort Wayne, IN
Posts: 13,056
Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 8734
Currently for a 2 grand budget, I do not think you can do better then a JTR Cap1400 or PSA V3600i.
oneeyeblind and Madmax67 like this.
basshead81 is offline  
post #6 of 23 Old 05-20-2016, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Oledurt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 609
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post
Currently for a 2 grand budget, I do not think you can do better then a JTR Cap1400 or PSA V3600i.
I just ordered the PSA V3600i. It is gigantic but I can fit it in the front left corner. I had my subs colocated in that corner so I know it is a good spot in my room.

I am thinking there will be enough bass

The thing weighs 200 pounds how the hell will I get it into my basement lol.
oneeyeblind likes this.
Oledurt is offline  
post #7 of 23 Old 05-20-2016, 04:23 PM
Member
 
rchunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Congrats. Put it on a dolly or get some of those dolly lift straps and get someone to help you. I got the t18ht down in my basement and it's even more awkward than the v3600.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
oneeyeblind likes this.
rchunter is offline  
post #8 of 23 Old 05-20-2016, 04:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
dsrussell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Corona, CA.
Posts: 5,836
Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2263 Post(s)
Liked: 3109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oledurt View Post
I just ordered the PSA V3600i. It is gigantic but I can fit it in the front left corner. I had my subs colocated in that corner so I know it is a good spot in my room.

I am thinking there will be enough bass

The thing weighs 200 pounds how the hell will I get it into my basement lol.
Excuse me??? You made a decision THAT fast? Wow, you don't mess around. Congratulations on a great sub. I have its little brother .
oneeyeblind likes this.

Music area: Magnepan 3.6, McIntosh MC2205 amp & C48 preamp, SVS SB13-Ultra, Oppo BDP 95, dbx 3BX, and assorted equipment.
Movie area: EMP Tek E5Bi (were rebadged to R5Bi), RBH/EMP Tek R55Ti, PSA S3000i, Denon X2000, Oppo BDP 83.
dsrussell is offline  
post #9 of 23 Old 05-20-2016, 05:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
torii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 6,495
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3175 Post(s)
Liked: 1781
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oledurt View Post
I just ordered the PSA V3600i. It is gigantic but I can fit it in the front left corner. I had my subs colocated in that corner so I know it is a good spot in my room.

I am thinking there will be enough bass

The thing weighs 200 pounds how the hell will I get it into my basement lol.
so you just bought 1 sub that equals the output of the 2 you already own?

http://www.powersoundaudio.com/products/v3600i

I am confused, did you sell your old subs?
oneeyeblind likes this.

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5 Subs: Rythmik FV25HP, Rythmik FV15HP
torii is offline  
post #10 of 23 Old 05-20-2016, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Oledurt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 609
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 571
got a couple of g's to spend looking for a little advice.

no no...that power sound sub has way more output than what I have. I have the F15HP sealed not the FV15HP which is ported and has substantially more output than the f15 sealed subs.

One Rythmik FV15HP has more output at 20hz than my dual F15HP subs. The PSA has more output than the FV15HP. So it has way more power than dual F15HP's. Don't get me wrong these F15HP's are amazingly accurate servo subwoofers. They are perfect for music.

For movies though I find them too dry and lacking that grunt you only get from ported subwoofers.

I have not sold my subs yet, but I am sure I will. That PSA is pure beast mode. Why wait? Everything I want in one gigantic cabinet that I can set in a corner. It has a great price for what you get...why not buy it now?

I will keep the thread updated. I will let you know when I get it if I am disappointed.

Great advice on the dolly. No doubt I will need one for this.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Madmax67 and oneeyeblind like this.
Oledurt is offline  
post #11 of 23 Old 05-20-2016, 06:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Kini62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 7,897
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2657 Post(s)
Liked: 2435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oledurt View Post
I just ordered the PSA V3600i. It is gigantic but I can fit it in the front left corner. I had my subs colocated in that corner so I know it is a good spot in my room.

I am thinking there will be enough bass

The thing weighs 200 pounds how the hell will I get it into my basement lol.
Leave it in the box and slide it down the stairs
oneeyeblind likes this.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Onkyo RZ820
Roku Ultra, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Quattron
Kini62 is online now  
post #12 of 23 Old 05-20-2016, 07:58 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
basshead81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Fort Wayne, IN
Posts: 13,056
Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 8734
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrussell View Post
Excuse me??? You made a decision THAT fast? Wow, you don't mess around. Congratulations on a great sub. I have its little brother .
He bought the V3600i not the S3600i.
oneeyeblind likes this.
basshead81 is offline  
post #13 of 23 Old 05-25-2016, 06:41 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Oledurt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 609
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 571
the Monster will be here tomorrow morning. Arriving by freight truck. I bought a hand truck to get it into my basement. It will go right up front horizontal underneath my center. Tom was extremely helpful, and answered all questions I had. I will snap some pics and let you all know my first impressions tomorrow...


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
oneeyeblind likes this.
Oledurt is offline  
post #14 of 23 Old 05-25-2016, 07:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Tom Vodhanel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 4,658
Mentioned: 111 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2845 Post(s)
Liked: 9144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oledurt View Post
the Monster will be here tomorrow morning. Arriving by freight truck. I bought a hand truck to get it into my basement. It will go right up front horizontal underneath my center. Tom was extremely helpful, and answered all questions I had. I will snap some pics and let you all know my first impressions tomorrow...


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks Oledurt,

Be sure to pop into chat/call if you bump into any setup or calibration questions too. And don't be shy about running your favorite concert discs for initial demos either. You may be a bit surprised by the sound quality of the V3600i...

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio
oneeyeblind and torii like this.
Tom Vodhanel is online now  
post #15 of 23 Old 05-25-2016, 11:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Molon_Labe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 2,051
Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3059 Post(s)
Liked: 3676
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oledurt View Post
...lacking that grunt you only get from ported subwoofers
Congrats on the purchase - excellent choice. However, I can assure you that sealed is very capable of grunt too
oneeyeblind likes this.
Molon_Labe is offline  
post #16 of 23 Old 05-25-2016, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Oledurt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 609
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 571
and I agree with you that sealed subs are great. However, in my experience owning both sealed and ported subs for home theater I prefer ported subwoofers. The powersound V3600i I have coming tomorrow will be the biggest, and baddest subwoofer I have ever owned.

It will be paired up with my Klipsch reference premier 7.2.4 atmos system. I will update this thread with my initial impressions. Stay tuned!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
oneeyeblind likes this.
Oledurt is offline  
post #17 of 23 Old 05-26-2016, 12:00 AM
Member
 
Majister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 123
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oledurt View Post
and I agree with you that sealed subs are great. However, in my experience owning both sealed and ported subs for home theater I prefer ported subwoofers. The powersound V3600i I have coming tomorrow will be the biggest, and baddest subwoofer I have ever owned.

It will be paired up with my Klipsch reference premier 7.2.4 atmos system. I will update this thread with my initial impressions. Stay tuned!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Regarding sealed. I will take sealed all day long...as long as you have a big budget for them. Fewest compromises, deepest extension, space saving. An example of this is the Funk Audio 21.0. If you have the money, the most powerful HT driver ever mated to a 5kw amp with SOLID single digit extension and ridiculous output across the frequency range...and the ability to cross over unusually high. Your original statement is in fact correct...but if you can go for it, the Sealed sub simply costs more to implement right. Yet will reward you. But it all comes down to dollars. It costs money to get that race horse. But once you have it, you are essentially in the top 1% of sub performance across the board. Please note, I hold the requisite love for Ported and horn designs. But if you want 10hz just under 100db. It's hard to pass up proper high end sealed.

Congrats on your sub. It's a beast!
oneeyeblind and Madmax67 like this.
Majister is offline  
post #18 of 23 Old 05-26-2016, 07:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
lizrussspike's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Parkview, IA
Posts: 2,772
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1091 Post(s)
Liked: 1608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post
Leave it in the box and slide it down the stairs
+1, that is exactly what I did, and when you get ready to stand it up, a few furniture movers will help. Be ready to be amazed as the V3600 is a beast!!
oneeyeblind likes this.
lizrussspike is offline  
post #19 of 23 Old 05-26-2016, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Oledurt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 609
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 571
got a couple of g's to spend looking for a little advice.

so here is the update.

First impression is DAMN THIS THING IS HUGE! lol. I don't think it can appreciated until you see one up close in person.

I got it off the palette, and loaded on my hand truck. Got it down into the basement it is very heavy, and I would not recommend moving this thing alone unless you are a pretty strong dude. I got it in place and hooked it up. Reran MCACC. I had Lotr Fellowship of the ring in from last night so fired it up.

Very first thing I noticed almost immediately was the accuracy. This has to be one of the most accurate vented sub I have heard. I will be playing some Pearl Jam later, and get a good feel for what it does for music.

The mid bass is really nice you feel it in your body. The sub will jump out and slam you when necessary but will also just disappear into the mix when meant to. I can't wait to listen to this thing all weekend.

It is a beast I only had to turn the gain up a quarter turn. It just has a certain authority to it. Effortless, clean, articulate, powerful come to mind in my first listening off it.

So that is really my initial impressions. I will do a lot more listening, and will let you know.

I am very very happy with this purchase. Tom was just great count me as a Power Sound Fanboi!




Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by Oledurt; 05-26-2016 at 10:52 AM.
Oledurt is offline  
post #20 of 23 Old 05-26-2016, 11:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
lizrussspike's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Parkview, IA
Posts: 2,772
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1091 Post(s)
Liked: 1608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oledurt View Post
so here is the update.

First impression is DAMN THIS THING IS HUGE! lol. I don't think it can appreciated until you see one up close in person.

I got it off the palette, and loaded on my hand truck. Got it down into the basement it is very heavy, and I would not recommend moving this thing alone unless you are a pretty strong dude. I got it in place and hooked it up. Reran MCACC. I had Lotr Fellowship of the ring in from last night so fired it up.

Very first thing I noticed almost immediately was the accuracy. This has to be one of the most accurate vented sub I have heard. I will be playing some Pearl Jam later, and get a good feel for what it does for music.

The mid bass is really nice you feel it in your body. The sub will jump out and slam you when necessary but will also just disappear into the mix when meant to. I can't wait to listen to this thing all weekend.

It is a beast I only had to turn the gain up a quarter turn. It just has a certain authority to it. Effortless, clean, articulate, powerful come to mind in my first listening off it.

So that is really my initial impressions. I will do a lot more listening, and will let you know.

I am very very happy with this purchase. Tom was just great count me as a Power Sound Fanboi!




Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
@Oledurt
Glad you got it in, and in place. It is a struggle, but worth every bit of $ and effort. I remember when I first got mine before running Audy, I had the gain about 12:00, and I could feel my ears moving with the pressure. Congrats and welcome to the PSA Family. You will find yourself revisiting many movies now with the V3600. Looks great where you have it. Now movies will be even better on the big screen with that monster underneath!
oneeyeblind likes this.
lizrussspike is offline  
post #21 of 23 Old 05-26-2016, 02:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Defcon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 2,895
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1529 Post(s)
Liked: 856
This is the fastest 'what do I get' thread I've seen, less than a week from OP posting the question to making a decision and getting the sub installed
Great location for the sub as a center stand too!
oneeyeblind likes this.
Defcon is offline  
post #22 of 23 Old 05-26-2016, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Oledurt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 609
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 571
well let me tell you I am 100% sure I made the right decision. I just watched 30 minutes of Mad Max. Jaw Dropping. The subwoofer barely breaks a sweat, and bass is so accurate.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
oneeyeblind likes this.
Oledurt is offline  
post #23 of 23 Old 05-26-2016, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
Oledurt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 609
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked: 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defcon View Post
This is the fastest 'what do I get' thread I've seen, less than a week from OP posting the question to making a decision and getting the sub installed

Great location for the sub as a center stand too!


i don't mess around ...lol


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Oledurt is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off