SVS PB-1000 worth buying? - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 86Likes

post #61 of 82 Old 02-05-2020, 01:04 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelman99 View Post
I had a neighbor on the 5th floor of a 14 story high rise that planted his giant always on 24/7, boom box on the wall shared with my bedroom....not a happy time in my life. I lasted about 6 months . If u have neighbors that are "ok", you are fortunate.
Yes I am..... most are nurses that are not home during the night.... so that helps...

Juju
ClawAndTalon likes this.

Sub List: 1- Red Five Mini V1 Devastator 18" w/PA460, 1- Red Five Devastator LFE 21", 1- Red Five Devastator 21" Finalizer V2 DF , 1- BOSS platform [The Hideaway Theater], 2- 18" "Full Marty" tuned to 17Hz w/RSS460HO
Wish List: Anthology http://www.speakerdesignworks.com/Anthology_1.html

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 82 Old 02-05-2020, 03:04 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I'm learning so much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #63 of 82 Old 02-05-2020, 03:05 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 145 Post(s)
Quoted: 7115 Post(s)
Liked: 6987
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClawAndTalon View Post
@Alan P

Start at post 27 or so

Sony XBR75X940D | Denon X4500H | Nvidia Shield | Synology NAS [52TB] | miniDSP 2x4 HD | TiVo Roamio
PSA MTM210 [x3] | Polk LS/fx [x4] | Klipsch RB61 [x2] | Crowson LvL3 MA [x2] | PSA TV42 Ipal [x2]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 82 Old 02-05-2020, 03:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked: 1504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrari_1996 View Post
Even if it can "play" a 3Hz note, it's certainly not going to be playing it at a meaningful SPL for it to make a tangible difference to the experience. It's a 10" ported subwoofer tuned probably around 30Hz (multiple octaves above 3Hz) considering it's rated down to 27Hz. A ported subwoofer drops off quite sharply below the port tune, so there's no way you're getting meaningful output at 3Hz which is wayyy below the port tune. How do you even "know" that it can play 3Hz as you said your SPL meter can't read capture such low frequencies? Can you measure the frequency response with REW or something and share the graph here? Doesn't matter if the mic can't capture such low frequencies as we're going to see a drop off on the graph well above 3Hz, which will be proof that you're not getting any meaningful output at 3Hz.
He measured it with his eyes...HIS EYES!!

QUOTE: "Three. It plays 3 and you could literally count the 3 movements per second by eye. At moderate volume this was literally almost as much air movement as a fan."

...HIS EYES!!!!

"Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken." - Tyler Durden

Living Room - Denon AVR-X2400H/MiniDSP 2X4HD/Hsu Research HB-1 Bookshelf (4) w/HC-1 Center/SVS PB12 Plus (1)/Samsung UN65H7150/Sony UBP-X800/PC Built by D-Rail/XBox One S/Rythmik T-Shirt (1)
post #65 of 82 Old 02-05-2020, 04:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 655 Post(s)
Liked: 494
Quote:
Originally Posted by d-rail34 View Post

QUOTE: "Three. It plays 3 and you could literally count the 3 movements per second by eye. At moderate volume this was literally almost as much air movement as a fan."

...HIS EYES!!!!

I’ve read some unbelievable stuff on here before, but this is in my top 3 if not 2 or 1.
@Alan P can you remember anything more outlandish? I’m drawing a blank.

d-rail34 likes this.

"Most theories on audio and audio reproduction will be proven wrong only when the laws of physics change."
post #66 of 82 Old 02-05-2020, 04:02 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Quote:

...HIS EYES!!!!

He must have some high tech cyborg eyes......LOL

Juju
ClawAndTalon likes this.

Sub List: 1- Red Five Mini V1 Devastator 18" w/PA460, 1- Red Five Devastator LFE 21", 1- Red Five Devastator 21" Finalizer V2 DF , 1- BOSS platform [The Hideaway Theater], 2- 18" "Full Marty" tuned to 17Hz w/RSS460HO
Wish List: Anthology http://www.speakerdesignworks.com/Anthology_1.html

post #67 of 82 Old 02-05-2020, 04:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jujuman200 View Post
He must have some high tech cyborg eyes......LOL

Juju
Something! That is AMAZING!! And here I am just wanting Lasik!

I think I need to reassess what it is that I'm doing with my life...
jujuman200 and ClawAndTalon like this.

Living Room - Denon AVR-X2400H/MiniDSP 2X4HD/Hsu Research HB-1 Bookshelf (4) w/HC-1 Center/SVS PB12 Plus (1)/Samsung UN65H7150/Sony UBP-X800/PC Built by D-Rail/XBox One S/Rythmik T-Shirt (1)
post #68 of 82 Old 02-05-2020, 04:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Something! That is AMAZING!! And here I am just wanting Lasik!

I think I need to reassess what it is that I'm doing with my life...

I wonder if that was when he was watching his sweet car subs play a YouTube review of the subwoofer, or the actual sub. I can’t tell... lol

d-rail34 likes this.

"Most theories on audio and audio reproduction will be proven wrong only when the laws of physics change."
post #69 of 82 Old 02-05-2020, 04:19 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Maybe he used the same phone he measured his SPL with to take a video. I demand a video share of this 3 Hz sub. He might be on to something here

ClawAndTalon likes this.
post #70 of 82 Old 02-05-2020, 04:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangePhile View Post
Maybe he used the same phone he measured his SPL with to take a video. I demand a video share of this 3 Hz sub. He might be on to something here

I found it!

Alan P, d-rail34 and Polyrythm1k like this.

post #71 of 82 Old 02-05-2020, 04:33 PM
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 475 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9559 Post(s)
Liked: 17009
ROFL zombie thread brought back to life, best to enjoy it for the entertainment value I guess.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #72 of 82 Old 02-05-2020, 06:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
ROFL zombie thread brought back to life, best to enjoy it for the entertainment value I guess.
This!^^^^

It's amazing how one's delusions can be so entertaining to others.
ClawAndTalon likes this.

post #73 of 82 Old 02-05-2020, 06:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
This!^^^^

It's amazing how one's delusions can be so entertaining to others.

I can’t hear you over my new RCA subs which get so low they cause quantum black hole irregularities in the space time continuum which I can detect

with...

my...

eyes...

lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Alan P, d-rail34 and Polyrythm1k like this.

post #74 of 82 Old 02-06-2020, 04:59 AM
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 475 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9559 Post(s)
Liked: 17009
Quote:
I can’t hear you over my new RCA subs which get so low they cause quantum black hole irregularities in the space time continuum which I can detect

with...

my...

eyes...

lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
A stunning discovery that will truly and forever change how I LOOK at subwoofers. For example, I have just discovered that my hand is a subwoofer and I can actually watch my palm move back and forth as I slap it against my forehead. There is a bit of THD with the "smack" but it's worth it, because I would not want the bass to be so clean that I can't even hear it. I'm guessing I can do 3 or 4 Hz easy, 5 if I really push it. 1 Hz is super easy.
ClawAndTalon and d-rail34 like this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #75 of 82 Old 02-06-2020, 05:17 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
A stunning discovery that will truly and forever change how I LOOK at subwoofers. For example, I have just discovered that my hand is a subwoofer and I can actually watch my palm move back and forth as I slap it against my forehead. There is a bit of THD with the "smack" but it's worth it, because I would not want the bass to be so clean that I can't even hear it. I'm guessing I can do 3 or 4 Hz easy, 5 if I really push it. 1 Hz is super easy.

Yes. The forehead slap is easily good for 1 hurts.
ClawAndTalon likes this.
post #76 of 82 Old 02-06-2020, 08:59 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 145 Post(s)
Quoted: 7115 Post(s)
Liked: 6987
Quote:
I’ve read some unbelievable stuff on here before, but this is in my top 3 if not 2 or 1.
@Alan P can you remember anything more outlandish? I’m drawing a blank.

Oh, there's been quite a few over the years, but his one is right up there.
ClawAndTalon and d-rail34 like this.

Sony XBR75X940D | Denon X4500H | Nvidia Shield | Synology NAS [52TB] | miniDSP 2x4 HD | TiVo Roamio
PSA MTM210 [x3] | Polk LS/fx [x4] | Klipsch RB61 [x2] | Crowson LvL3 MA [x2] | PSA TV42 Ipal [x2]
post #77 of 82 Old 02-07-2020, 11:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked: 565
Thats nothing!!!!!!!! My 5" bookshelf speakers have movement at 2 Hz!!!!

Take that!

*note: that is not my speaker
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	giphy.gif
Views:	93
Size:	604.3 KB
ID:	2681766  

Speakers: KEF Q100, Q300, Q750, Q650C, Q50a / Fluance Signature Series/ DCM TP160S-CH Subwoofers: Outlaw Ultra X12 (x2) / BIC H100-IIReceiver: Denon AVR-X4500H, AVR-X1400H Integrated Amplifier: Yamaha A-S501/ Fosi Audio TPA3116 mini amp Extras: MiniDSP Umik-1 Amplifier: Emotiva BasX-A300 Next Speakers: Revel Concerta2 M16, Dynaudio Emit M20, Buchardt S400, Triangle Comet ez, KEF R3
post #78 of 82 Old 03-09-2020, 03:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by New7.1 View Post
Well I ordered it Tuesday night and received it Today Thursday morning. It plays clean down to 3hz. Thanks Worldwide stereo for the quick shipping! (Not affiliated in any way, only thing I ever ordered there)

If I can contribute one thing to anyone in the World looking to buy a subwoofer and reading through this stuff it is this: 99% of the advice you get from 99% of people who appear to sound like experts is wrong 99% of the time.

Please, anyone looking for honest advice do not believe anyone who says you need two subs. I am in a room that is 3,342‘ ^3, not counting the entry foyer, Behind the seating area, which puts the space over 3,500’ ^3.

This SPL-120 is waaaaaay overpowered for this space. It can be felt at a relatively low volume, in rooms far away, through the walls. At a moderate volume, it moves so much air it blows air on us like a fan from 15.5 feet away! So that said, even if a PB-1000 has less output, it still would have been plenty too powerful for this space.

I’m not directing this at any one person, but I literally got only bad advice on the internet. It’s too bad. I had to read through enough of the claims of everyone saying that the subs don’t play below the stats ratings, to just not take that advice seriously. I can say they definitely do.

Don’t be afraid to buy a major brand that they sell in major stores, either.

We watched Into the spider verse to test it out. It sounds great. And, yes, I know, the right front speaker is too close to the TV, it’s going to be moved this weekend. I spent last week repositioning the hard wired surrounds, which required patching and painting. The end table to the right will be moved. That is a 15.5’ distance. Anyone going 2 subs this size at less distance In a room this size is just crazy.
Sooo, I doubt very much that you'll be back on here after the abuse you've received for daring to voice your opinion, but on the off-chance you are - Would love to know your thoughts on the SPL 120 after living with it for a month?

I am in the similar position of going for a sub in the same price range, and over here in Europe we have Klipsch or we have SVS. So I've also been looking at the PB 1000, but the Klipsch is cheaper and has a 12 inch woofer compared to the 10 inch of the SVS.

I would mainly be watching movies and my other speakers are Klipsch RP.

Just wondering if you really feel the bass in certain movie scenes, to the extent where it sometimes puts a smile on your face?
post #79 of 82 Old 03-09-2020, 03:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 43
He did say it plays clean to 3hz. The JTR Captivator 4000 can't manage that so I'm sure hes enjoying it.
d-rail34, drh3b and Polyrythm1k like this.
post #80 of 82 Old 03-09-2020, 03:58 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by blondie88 View Post
Sooo, I doubt very much that you'll be back on here after the abuse you've received for daring to voice your opinion, but on the off-chance you are - Would love to know your thoughts on the SPL 120 after living with it for a month?

I am in the similar position of going for a sub in the same price range, and over here in Europe we have Klipsch or we have SVS. So I've also been looking at the PB 1000, but the Klipsch is cheaper and has a 12 inch woofer compared to the 10 inch of the SVS.

Just wondering if you really feel the bass in certain movie scenes, to the extent where it sometimes puts a smile on your face?
Yes, I love it. It sounds great with all kinds of music, movies & TV. It even provides great bass at lower TV volumes. If you get it, you’ll see, it plays test tones way lower than people on this site will try to convince you it can’t. At those low frequencies, it will literally be pushing air like a fan 10-15 feet away. I don’t recommend doing that for more than a few seconds, but it definitely can and does play extremely low. Most available testing instruments cannot test accurately below 17-20hz, so don’t believe the hype. I’d take this 12” sub over 2 10” subs any day.
post #81 of 82 Old 03-09-2020, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondie88 View Post

He shouldn’t be back here. All he does is spout stuff that’s complete nonsense.
d-rail34 and Sn1per666 like this.
post #82 of 82 Old 03-09-2020, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn1per666 View Post
He did say it plays clean to 3hz. The JTR Captivator 4000 can't manage that so I'm sure hes enjoying it.

What!!!! It’s just that you can’t measure how low the cap really goes. Didn’t you see what 7.1 said?
Alan P and Sn1per666 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page