Deciding on New Sub - ULS -15 MKII vs. PSA S1500 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 21Likes

post #1 of 40 Old 08-10-2016, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Deciding on New Sub - ULS -15 MKII vs. PSA S1500

Hi Guys,

It's been a while since I have been on these boards (been happy with my system with no upgraditis (UNTIL NOW!)), and now I am out of the lingo. I am looking for a sealed 15" only, and the only 2 choices that will fit my application are the HSU ULS-15 MkII or PSA S1500. From what I have researched the PSA has a bit more headroom, but the HSU can play deeper?

My rough final decision is to pickup the HSU because:
1) HSU is only 20 miles from my house, so I can audition before purchasing.
2) I can pickup locally and avoid shipping costs, but I will have to pay tax. Total will be $842 out the door
3) I can pretty much get the sub instantly (no shipping).

Would it be worth to spend the extra $60 and purchase a B-stock PSA 1500?...considering that I might have to wait a while to receive the sub....and pay return shipping if I do not like it.

I'm currently using a SVS SB12-NSD, so either of these will be a huge upgrade. Room size is roughly 16.5x15x9 (~2250cf), and half of one side of the wall opens into the kitchen, and on the other side an open doorway to a stairwell. The sub will be inside the perforated tv cabinet where the SB12 is currently located.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	446
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	1594793   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	391
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	1594801   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	421
Size:	134.4 KB
ID:	1594809   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	385
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	1594817  
oneeyeblind likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old 08-10-2016, 11:43 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 230 Post(s)
Quoted: 5228 Post(s)
Liked: 4760
Hi, I am in Corona right near Yorba Linda. I have a pair of PSA S1500s. I am measuring ULF extension down to 6Hz! My room is sealed so I'm getting room gain you likely will not. I do not believe the HSUs play deeper or match the headroom of the PSAs. At worst it is a wash. I believe HSU subs are made in china. PSA builds their subs in the US with parts sourced from US vendors. Their warranty & customer service are also superior to HSU.

I will be glad to have you over to checkout the S1500s. You can audition the HSUs at their office.

I am not a fan of predetermining were a sub goes. That sub's performance most likely will be compromised. Your open concept also would likely play better with a vented subwoofer like the PSA 15V or V1500.

Feel free to send me a PM neighbor.

PS… don't forget about sales tax with HSU!
mthomas47 and oneeyeblind like this.
post #3 of 40 Old 08-10-2016, 12:10 PM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 8742
There was a member that went from a ULS15.2 to S1500 and preferred the PSA. That being said I think both are solid units from a performance standpoint. I would give the edge to PSA in customer support...Tom is available 7 days a week and very seldom does it take more then a few days to receive a product that is in stock.

I would probably audition the HSU first and see how you like it and go from there.

I agree with Marc that ported would be better for your open concept so you might want to rethink your options.
ss nimrod and oneeyeblind like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 40 Old 08-10-2016, 12:17 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjihana View Post
Hi Guys,

It's been a while since I have been on these boards (been happy with my system with no upgraditis (UNTIL NOW!)), and now I am out of the lingo. I am looking for a sealed 15" only, and the only 2 choices that will fit my application are the HSU ULS-15 MkII or PSA S1500. From what I have researched the PSA has a bit more headroom, but the HSU can play deeper?

My rough final decision is to pickup the HSU because:
1) HSU is only 20 miles from my house, so I can audition before purchasing.
2) I can pickup locally and avoid shipping costs, but I will have to pay tax. Total will be $842 out the door
3) I can pretty much get the sub instantly (no shipping).

Would it be worth to spend the extra $60 and purchase a B-stock PSA 1500?...considering that I might have to wait a while to receive the sub....and pay return shipping if I do not like it.

I'm currently using a SVS SB12-NSD, so either of these will be a huge upgrade. Room size is roughly 16.5x15x9 (~2250cf), and half of one side of the wall opens into the kitchen, and on the other side an open doorway to a stairwell. The sub will be inside the perforated tv cabinet where the SB12 is currently located.
I'm going to make a completely unrelated comment: beautiful house! Do you know what kind of floors those are and the brand/finish? I'm about to redo a house and might copy your hardwoods!
oneeyeblind likes this.

Front L&R: Polk RTi A3 (cherry finish)
Center: Polk CSi A6 (cherry finish)
Surrounds: Polk FXi A6 (black finish)
Subwoofer: Dual Sealed SI-HT 18" with iNuke 3000dsp
Receiver: Yamaha RX-V673
TV: 55" LCD
post #5 of 40 Old 08-10-2016, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

I tried a ported sub for my application, and it would have been my preference, but the port made too much noise chuffing against the cabinet doors at the point where it became very annoying. I could of fixed the rattles, but I was also getting cancellation at certain frequencies, where I would not notice any issues with the SB12. Oddly, the SB12 sounds great inside the cabinet (built into the wall and fixed to the floor, very sturdy). I do get some room gain (and cabinet gain) at my seating position, and with Audyssey it sounds excellent, I would just like it lower and louder.

I'm leaning against he HSU because it would be easier to test it and return it if it doesn't work for me. With the PSA, I would have to pay return shipping if it doesn't work with my application.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zpatter1 View Post
I'm going to make a completely unrelated comment: beautiful house! Do you know what kind of floors those are and the brand/finish? I'm about to redo a house and might copy your hardwoods!
Thanks! Just moved in 4 months ago. These pictures are photo-shopped a bit by the realtor.....the floors aren't really that red, they are more of a natural color. I do have some pieces in the garage, I'll check to see if any of the pieces has any info about the brand and type and let you know.
zpatter1 likes this.
post #6 of 40 Old 08-10-2016, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Alexander View Post
Hi, I am in Corona right near Yorba Linda. I have a pair of PSA S1500s. I am measuring ULF extension down to 6Hz! My room is sealed so I'm getting room gain you likely will not. I do not believe the HSUs play deeper or match the headroom of the PSAs. At worst it is a wash. I believe HSU subs are made in china. PSA builds their subs in the US with parts sourced from US vendors. Their warranty & customer service are also superior to HSU.

I will be glad to have you over to checkout the S1500s. You can audition the HSUs at their office.

I am not a fan of predetermining were a sub goes. That sub's performance most likely will be compromised. Your open concept also would likely play better with a vented subwoofer like the PSA 15V or V1500.

PS… don't forget about sales tax with HSU!
Marc,

You have the speakers that I want! I have the Omni 550/150 setup and really want the OMD-28's, but the wife will not tolerate bigger speakers . The only reason I have a sub is because I can hide it in the cabinet, otherwise no sub
oneeyeblind likes this.
post #7 of 40 Old 08-10-2016, 12:53 PM

Quote:
I'm leaning against he HSU because it would be easier to test it and return it if it doesn't work for me. With the PSA, I would have to pay return shipping if it doesn't work with my application.
That makes perfect sense. Both subs are excellent performers and are likely more alike than different when it come to performance. For me, made in USA is of great value. However, I understand that no two of us have the exact same priorities when making purchasing decisions.

If you get the HSU (or before), I'm willing to bring a PSA over for you to test. I would just ask for your help transporting it.
oneeyeblind likes this.
post #8 of 40 Old 08-10-2016, 12:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Quote:

PS? don't forget about sales tax with HSU!
Marc,

You have the speakers that I want! I have the Omni 550/150 setup and really want the OMD-28's, but the wife will not tolerate bigger speakers . The only reason I have a sub is because I can hide it in the cabinet, otherwise no sub

Lmao
jjackkrash likes this.
post #9 of 40 Old 08-10-2016, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Marc,

I worked my way up to the OMD-28s. I started with the Omnisat v2 fs, then she fell in love with the Rosewood OMD-15s. She wanted the Rosewood OMD-28s but all I could find was black (at a decent price a least) a year ago.

I just put up a pair of OM-R2 side surrounds. Now I have a spare pair of OMD-15s I may sell or put in the bedroom. Let me know if you are interested.
oneeyeblind likes this.

Last edited by Marc Alexander; 08-10-2016 at 09:52 PM.
post #10 of 40 Old 08-10-2016, 06:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2263 Post(s)
Liked: 3109
Quote:
Hi, I am in Corona right near Yorba Linda.
Then why, oh why do you not have Corona in your avatar .

Music area: Magnepan 3.6, McIntosh MC2205 amp & C48 preamp, SVS SB13-Ultra, Oppo BDP 95, dbx 3BX, and assorted equipment.
Movie area: EMP Tek E5Bi (were rebadged to R5Bi), RBH/EMP Tek R55Ti, PSA S3000i, Denon X2000, Oppo BDP 83.
post #11 of 40 Old 08-10-2016, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsrussell View Post
Then why, oh why do you not have Corona in your avatar .
Not a fan of Corona the beer. There is a reason they serve it with lime (helps prevent bitter beer face). Too bad my city is not called Tecate or Dos Equis! 😉
shivaji likes this.
post #12 of 40 Old 08-11-2016, 06:23 AM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
That makes perfect sense. Both subs are excellent performers and are likely more alike than different when it come to performance. For me, made in USA is of great value. However, I understand that no two of us have the exact same priorities when making purchasing decisions.

If you get the HSU (or before), I'm willing to bring a PSA over for you to test. I would just ask for your help transporting it.
I would definitely take Marc up on his generous offer. If not to audition it in your own home, then just to listen to his setup and get a first hand impression of the subs capabilities. Then Demo the HSU and pick whichever one you like the best.
post #13 of 40 Old 08-11-2016, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

HI Marc,

Thanks for the offer. In a few weeks after things settle down, with your permission I would like to come and demo your setup. Just hearing the subs capabilities should be a good enough for me.

Thanks!
post #14 of 40 Old 08-11-2016, 10:50 AM
Writer & Reviewer

Mentioned: 101 Post(s)
Quoted: 2122 Post(s)
Liked: 3153
Quote:
I tried a ported sub for my application, and it would have been my preference, but the port made too much noise chuffing against the cabinet doors at the point where it became very annoying. I could of fixed the rattles, but I was also getting cancellation at certain frequencies, where I would not notice any issues with the SB12. Oddly, the SB12 sounds great inside the cabinet (built into the wall and fixed to the floor, very sturdy).
Houston, we have a problem; subwoofers should never be placed inside cabinets. Structural integrity and heat will conspire against you.

Given you had rattles with the SB12 that indicates the cabinets may not be "very sturdy" after all. Frankly, I'm not sure you could design a cabinet that wouldn't cause some of its own resonance when directly coupled to the subwoofer like that. And if you had the issue with a 12" subwoofer, what will happen with a 15" version? Then there's the fact a sub amp cools itself using convection, which means it can quickly overheat in an enclosed space.

Quote:
I do get some room gain (and cabinet gain) at my seating position, and with Audyssey it sounds excellent, I would just like it lower and louder.
Whatever type of enclosed space the subwoofer was in would have been too small to provide any benefit, so I'm not sure what type of 'cabinet gain' you could have derived. That may have been more of a placebo affect then anything else.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite...
post #15 of 40 Old 08-11-2016, 10:59 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 3
I would audition the HSU first since you live nearby. If you're not satisfied you can order the PSA.

Either way you can't go wrong with either. Choose whatever sounds better and aesthetically looks better to you.
post #16 of 40 Old 08-11-2016, 11:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2263 Post(s)
Liked: 3109
Quote:
Not a fan of Corona the beer. There is a reason they serve it with lime (helps prevent bitter beer face). Too bad my city is not called Tecate or Dos Equis! 😉
Well, I assumed the name Corona as being from the hot plasma surrounding the sun and driven off by solar winds. After all, it "IS" hotter and windier than hell here .
oneeyeblind likes this.

Music area: Magnepan 3.6, McIntosh MC2205 amp & C48 preamp, SVS SB13-Ultra, Oppo BDP 95, dbx 3BX, and assorted equipment.
Movie area: EMP Tek E5Bi (were rebadged to R5Bi), RBH/EMP Tek R55Ti, PSA S3000i, Denon X2000, Oppo BDP 83.
post #17 of 40 Old 08-11-2016, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post
Houston, we have a problem; subwoofers should never be placed inside cabinets. Structural integrity and heat will conspire against you.

Given you had rattles with the SB12 that indicates the cabinets may not be "very sturdy" after all. Frankly, I'm not sure you could design a cabinet that wouldn't cause some of its own resonance when directly coupled to the subwoofer like that. And if you had the issue with a 12" subwoofer, what will happen with a 15" version? Then there's the fact a sub amp cools itself using convection, which means it can quickly overheat in an enclosed space.

Whatever type of enclosed space the subwoofer was in would have been too small to provide any benefit, so I'm not sure what type of 'cabinet gain' you could have derived. That may have been more of a placebo affect then anything else.
No, the rattling I was getting was from the ported sub that I had. And I think it had more to do with the fact that the sub was too big to fit in the cabinet, so I had to rest it sideways and it did not have any rubber feet decoupling it from the cabinet floor, therefore transferring all the cabinet resonances to the cabinet. The cabinet wasn't the rattling though, it was transferring to the tv and the tv was rattling.

The sb12 causes no rattles at all, I can turn it up to very loud levels and the only rattles I hear are from other items in the house. I think the isolated feet is what helps. I included a screen shot of the cabinet. It is built into the floor and walls, it is very structurally sound.

I have a cabinet fan installed that removes the heat away from all my components and sub, works really well.

I don't know if its room gain or cabin gain, but the bass gets louder as you sit closer to the rear wall , which is where the seating position is.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20160811_132802.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	123.4 KB
ID:	1597425  
post #18 of 40 Old 08-11-2016, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultra_Sound View Post
I would audition the HSU first since you live nearby. If you're not satisfied you can order the PSA.

Either way you can't go wrong with either. Choose whatever sounds better and aesthetically looks better to you.
That's what I was thinking. I can try the HSU first, and then PSA after if the HSU doesn't fit the bill.
post #19 of 40 Old 08-11-2016, 02:54 PM
Writer & Reviewer

Quote:
No, the rattling I was getting was from the ported sub that I had. And I think it had more to do with the fact that the sub was too big to fit in the cabinet, so I had to rest it sideways and it did not have any rubber feet decoupling it from the cabinet floor, therefore transferring all the cabinet resonances to the cabinet. The cabinet wasn't the rattling though, it was transferring to the tv and the tv was rattling.
Some portion of that enclosure was resonating, so while it may not have been an obvious 'rattle' there was a sympathetic contribution to the sound. The TV is clear evidence vibrations are being transmitted through the structure. It may have shown the most apparent affect, but that certainly wasn't the only thing impacted.

Quote:
I don't know if its room gain or cabin gain, but the bass gets louder as you sit closer to the rear wall , which is where the seating position is.
That phenomenon will happen with any bass wave as it reflects off a boundary. You would probably notice something similar on a side wall as well.
oneeyeblind likes this.

post #20 of 40 Old 08-11-2016, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post
Some portion of that enclosure was resonating, so while it may not have been an obvious 'rattle' there was a sympathetic contribution to the sound. The TV is clear evidence that vibrations are being transmitted through the structure. It may have shown the most apparent affect, but it certainly wasn't the only thing impacted.

That phenomenon will happen with any bass wave as it reflects off a boundary. You would probably notice something similar on a side wall as well.
the vibration was noticeable when I laid the sub on its side and the full size was resting on the cabinet floor and coupling itself to the cabinet. The effect was gone once I had decoupled it with rubber feet.

The crappy thing is, that I can only have a sub in the cabinet or no sub at all. If the new sub does not work in the cabinet, I may have to stick with the sb12, or convince the wife that not having a sub outside of the cabinet is bad for the relationship
post #21 of 40 Old 08-11-2016, 03:19 PM
Writer & Reviewer

Quote:
the vibration was noticeable when I laid the sub on its side and the full size was resting on the cabinet floor and coupling itself to the cabinet. The effect was gone once I had decoupled it with rubber feet.
Gone? You a betting man?

Four little rubber feet would serve to minimized the coupling affect, but they would not have eliminated it. In the end though the only thing that matters is whether or not any of it was audible for you. If not, then it doesn't really matter.
oneeyeblind likes this.

post #22 of 40 Old 08-11-2016, 03:29 PM
AVS ***** Member

Mentioned: 319 Post(s)
Quoted: 5302 Post(s)
Liked: 9840
Quote:

The crappy thing is, that I can only have a sub in the cabinet or no sub at all. If the new sub does not work in the cabinet, I may have to stick with the sb12, or convince the wife that not having a sub outside of the cabinet is bad for the relationship
Hi,

It's a nice room, and I certainly understand the desire to keep things clean looking. But depending on how much you enjoy your HT/audio system, being limited to a relatively small sealed sub, inside a cabinet, absolutely would be bad for the relationship. I would give it a pretty serious go, if I were you.

Regards,
Mike
oneeyeblind likes this.

GUIDE TO SUBWOOFER CALIBRATION AND BASS PREFERENCES

* The Guide linked above is a comprehensive guide to Audio & HT systems, including:
Speaker placements & Room treatments; HT calibration & Room EQ; Room gain; Bass
Preferences; Subwoofer Buyer's Guide: Sealed/ported; ID subs; Subwoofer placement.
post #23 of 40 Old 08-12-2016, 09:41 AM

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 286
Quote:
That's what I was thinking. I can try the HSU first, and then PSA after if the HSU doesn't fit the bill.

Hi Benji,

Feel free to PM me here or give us a call to schedule an appointment to audition. Please also bear in mind that the comparison chart on PSA is comparing our original ULS-15 to their S1500, not the ULS-15 Mk2.

Kevin W.
Hsu Research
Sales and Marketing Representative
post #24 of 40 Old 08-12-2016, 08:28 PM

Quote:
C'mon man! By the looks of the pics she doesn't like furniture either!

PSA's sealed subs make great side & corner couch tables. Be creative. Maybe post some pictures of what the lived in home looks like.
oneeyeblind likes this.
post #25 of 40 Old 08-12-2016, 10:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
C'mon man! By the looks of the pics she doesn't like furniture either!

PSA's sealed subs make great side & corner couch tables. Be creative. Maybe post some pictures of what the lived in home looks like.
Lol, those pics were before we moved in. I included pics of what the house looks like now. If I can convince her to have a sub in the living room, I'm going duals!

If the cabinet location with the new sub doesn't work optimally for me, I will be trying outside locations and make her get used to it.....lol
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20160812_215503.jpg
Views:	388
Size:	161.0 KB
ID:	1600097   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160812_215537.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	133.5 KB
ID:	1600105   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160812_215556.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	160.5 KB
ID:	1600113   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160706_211519.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	132.4 KB
ID:	1600121  
mthomas47 likes this.
post #26 of 40 Old 08-12-2016, 10:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1534 Post(s)
Liked: 857
You can put a black SVS cylinder next to the plant and it would look quite good. Or one on each side Just another option as most people don't consider the cylinder subs.
post #27 of 40 Old 08-12-2016, 11:21 PM

I see many places for subs. Even hidden. We pulled the couch away from the wall in our family room and put the sub behind. Its a win-win because it puts the wife closer to the fireplace.
post #28 of 40 Old 08-12-2016, 11:34 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 494 Post(s)
Liked: 187
+1 on the beautiful house
post #29 of 40 Old 08-13-2016, 12:18 AM

Ask Tom V for some veneer samples. I think the room would look great with a furniture grade S1500 or S3000i! There was a 3000i in the PSA outlet, might still be there.
post #30 of 40 Old 08-13-2016, 08:36 AM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 8742
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page