Home theatre room getting a lot smaller - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 09-05-2016, 07:32 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 287
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Home theatre room getting a lot smaller

Hi everyone

Will be moving to a new house shortly. My current HT is my basement, which is about 20x15x8 feet and opens to stairs but has a door at the top.

The new house has a much larger but unfinished basement. However, there is a finished bedroom in the basement. It's very small, maybe 12x8x6.5 if I had to guestimate.

I'm going to make this bedroom my little HT. I think the sound would be a lot better than having it in the big open unfinished basement.

My biggest question, that will be answered in a few weeks when I move in, is how much better will my LFE be? I'm using a 300 watt 10" sealed sub. I'm hoping a lot better with the room gain.

For sure excited to set up my small, manageable cost HT and maybe have some more control over the sound and acoustics than I do with my current basement.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Spectre55 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 Old 09-05-2016, 10:29 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
cel4145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 16,705
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2668 Post(s)
Liked: 3015
What 10" sub is it?

Definitely a sealed sub may benefit from room gain for boosting it's low end extension.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
Living room HT: Energy RC-50, Ascend Sierra Horizon w/RAAL, Ascend Sierra 1, PSB Imagine XA | PSA V1500 and CHT SS 18.1 | Denon X4200W | modified Dayton SA1000
Other rooms: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | Parasound Zamp | JBL LSR305
Headphone & Portable AKG K7XX | HE-400i | NAD HP50 | Sony MDR-1A | Soundmagic E50 & E80 | X5ii | DX50 | E12
cel4145 is offline  
post #3 of 11 Old 09-05-2016, 10:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
asarose247's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: DIY enabled in SoCal / OC
Posts: 4,425
Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1244 Post(s)
Liked: 1090
The possibilities of a brand new beginning, STS, . . unlimited ?

If you don't have a mic and REW set up, get it

bass management is small rooms will be "tricky'

DIY FAN Denon X4400 , ATI A 2000 for 7.4.6 SCATMOS Sammy 82" 4K/HDR
L/R: Fusion 15 V2 , C: 88 Special , SL/SR: 88 Special(V2) , RL/RR: F-3, TF/TR: Volt 6's TM: SLX, FH: F4Q4
SUBMAXIMUS V2, ,Submaximus V3,LOWARHORNCustom Dual Driver VBSS,2 x 6000DSP
asarose247 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 11 Old 09-05-2016, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 287
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 51
It's not letting me post a link. I will once I get a few more posts




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Spectre55 is offline  
post #5 of 11 Old 09-05-2016, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 287
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by asarose247 View Post
The possibilities of a brand new beginning, STS, . . unlimited ?



If you don't have a mic and REW set up, get it



bass management is small rooms will be "tricky'


Haha yeah as much as I liked having my setup in my old basement, it was basement first, HT second. So now it will be really nice to have my own dedicated HT. And it's small enough that it will be manageable and affordable.

Getting a REW mic is a good idea. Good place to start for me I think.

The room is a weird shape. Rectangle attached to a triangle. Like a house shape I guess. Not sure what the acoustics are going to be like.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Spectre55 is offline  
post #6 of 11 Old 09-05-2016, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 287
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post
What 10" sub is it?



Definitely a sealed sub may benefit from room gain for boosting it's low end extension.


Okay I'm at 5 posts now lol.

This setup in a 56L enclosure as described on the website.

http://www.creativesound.ca/details....del=DUETSDX10A


I am going to rebuild the enclosure as I don't think it's completely sealed and I don't think it needs to be as big as it is.

I'd like to throw some wood veneer on as well.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Spectre55 is offline  
post #7 of 11 Old 09-05-2016, 04:16 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Bismarck, ND
Posts: 905
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 496 Post(s)
Liked: 187
I had a room that was about 11x15x7 or roughly 1200^3 ft. I had a Rythmik F12 that would get a flat response down to 7hz due to room gain. your room is still smaller yet so you dont require as big or powerful of a sub. However, my output was not up to par with what I wanted. It was at first, until I got a taste or real bass. Now I have a FV15HP on the way and the F12 was returned
Theriddler07sms is offline  
post #8 of 11 Old 09-05-2016, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 287
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theriddler07sms View Post
I had a room that was about 11x15x7 or roughly 1200^3 ft. I had a Rythmik F12 that would get a flat response down to 7hz due to room gain. your room is still smaller yet so you dont require as big or powerful of a sub. However, my output was not up to par with what I wanted. It was at first, until I got a taste or real bass. Now I have a FV15HP on the way and the F12 was returned
That is ridiculous. Never thought that was possible with that sort of sub. Crazy.

See...this is my problem. I haven't heard any top end subs...I know I hate the crap at the stores here, so this was my solution. I can't spend the money on SVS or anything like that yet, but I'd love to just be able to have a listen somewhere to know what I am missing out on.

Not even sure how these subs in a HT compare to a movie theatre. I figured they'd be better since a real movie theatre is a huge amount of space to pressurize. However, after seeing the trailer for "Split" I am convinced the Cineplex by house has invested in some serious subs. Very impressed.

But I digress...

Hopefully the room layout isnt too funky and the bass will sound good. Dedicated HT means I can put the sub anywhere
Spectre55 is offline  
post #9 of 11 Old 09-05-2016, 04:55 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Bismarck, ND
Posts: 905
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 496 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectre55 View Post
That is ridiculous. Never thought that was possible with that sort of sub. Crazy.

See...this is my problem. I haven't heard any top end subs...I know I hate the crap at the stores here, so this was my solution. I can't spend the money on SVS or anything like that yet, but I'd love to just be able to have a listen somewhere to know what I am missing out on.

Not even sure how these subs in a HT compare to a movie theatre. I figured they'd be better since a real movie theatre is a huge amount of space to pressurize. However, after seeing the trailer for "Split" I am convinced the Cineplex by house has invested in some serious subs. Very impressed.

But I digress...

Hopefully the room layout isnt too funky and the bass will sound good. Dedicated HT means I can put the sub anywhere
Where are you located at? There is a sticky that shows where people are located that are willing to demo their subs.

As far as the theater comment, a $1000 sub in a room that size or even twice as big will sound and feel like a whole new world compared to a theater. I have a hard time sitting in a theater anymore after building my system. Actually havent been back since I got my sub haha. No reason to...except for the popcorn and mixed icees
Theriddler07sms is offline  
post #10 of 11 Old 09-05-2016, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 287
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Just outside Toronto. I'll check out the sticky for fellow Canadian enthusiasts.

I really want to know if it's just more output that id be feeling or "different" feelings. I don't want the equivalent of a huge car subwoofer blowing my ear drums out. I don't listen particularly loud. But I know when there's a scene that calls for bass i never want to be without my subwoofer. Just wondering if it's more of the same just louder, or a different experience altogether.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Spectre55 is offline  
post #11 of 11 Old 09-05-2016, 05:56 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Bismarck, ND
Posts: 905
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 496 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectre55 View Post
Just outside Toronto. I'll check out the sticky for fellow Canadian enthusiasts.

I really want to know if it's just more output that id be feeling or "different" feelings. I don't want the equivalent of a huge car subwoofer blowing my ear drums out. I don't listen particularly loud. But I know when there's a scene that calls for bass i never want to be without my subwoofer. Just wondering if it's more of the same just louder, or a different experience altogether.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looks like @kevinzoe has dual F15s about 50 min from Toronto
Theriddler07sms is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off