SVS Unleashes 16-Ultra Series Subwoofers Featuring 8" Voice Coil Drivers - Page 132 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2818Likes

post #3931 of 3934 Old 05-05-2019, 11:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
my 3 week old pb 16 ultra went down after contacting the usa and going through the fault process they told me to contact my local dealer who will send an amp out to me for replacement

i told them this will take forever if they have to get one from the usa first. They said they keep spares!! so i told them this is a known issue not very good. They replied it is not a know issue so i said why do the local dealers keep spare amps then he could not answer it

whatever it is not good reliability is it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3932 of 3934 Old 05-05-2019, 12:13 PM
AVS ***** Member

Mentioned: 356 Post(s)
Quoted: 5554 Post(s)
Liked: 10772
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjohn777 View Post
my 3 week old pb 16 ultra went down after contacting the usa and going through the fault process they told me to contact my local dealer who will send an amp out to me for replacement

i told them this will take forever if they have to get one from the usa first. They said they keep spares!! so i told them this is a known issue not very good. They replied it is not a know issue so i said why do the local dealers keep spare amps then he could not answer it

Hi,

Everyone gets a little frustrated when a product doesn't work properly. It happens with almost every electronic component from time-to-time. Subwoofer amplifiers are covered by dealer warranties precisely because they can fail, after three weeks or after three years. Knowing that, I would say that an SVS dealer who is not in the USA is smart to keep spare amplifiers available for his customers.

SVS products are generally reliable, and are backed by a good warranty and by good customer service. The PB16 is no more subject to amp failures than most other subwoofers. But, as noted, all subwoofers can fail, as can most other electronic components. As long as your dealer can take care of the problem for you, I don't think you have anything to be concerned about.

I have owned a dozen SVS subwoofers, including three PB16's. I upgraded several times from my original starting point, and I added more subs as I learned more about my personal bass requirements. I have only had one real amp failure in all that time. SVS took care of it immediately, as your dealer is doing for you. (Incidentally, the first SVS sub I ever bought is still going strong at a friend's house.)

Regards,
Mike

GUIDE TO SUBWOOFER CALIBRATION AND BASS PREFERENCES

* The Guide linked above is a comprehensive guide to Audio & HT systems, including:
Speaker placements & Room treatments; HT calibration & Room EQ; Room gain; Bass
Preferences; Subwoofer Buyer's Guide: Sealed/ported; ID subs; Subwoofer placement.
post #3933 of 3934 Old 05-05-2019, 02:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2100 Post(s)
Liked: 4249
Quote:

The amp is easily the least reliable part of any brand's subwoofer. The fact that your dealer keeps spares on hand for warranty service says great things about either SVS, your dealer, or both.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3934 of 3934 Old 05-10-2019, 05:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3585 Post(s)
Liked: 11409
Quote:

I wouldn't worry about this being a reliability issue or a statement against SVS products... its simply bad luck because you got a bad amp. As MThomas said, amps are the most likely part to fail on any subwoofer and any dealer worth their salt will know enough to keep spare amps on hand so they can maintain good customer service. I've had amp failures on subs from more than one highly respected subwoofer manufacturer, it happens.
gene4ht, galonzo and mthomas47 like this.

Subwoofers: PSA TV36 iPal X2 ...Speakers: PSA MTM-210T L/R - PSA MTM-210C Center- PSA MT110SR's Surrounds - RSL C34E Atmos... Motion Actuators: Crowson Shadow 8 - X2
Video: Samsung UN65KS9000 4K SUHD - Oppo UDP-203... AVR:Denon X4400... Gaming: XBOX ONE S

Guide to Subwoofer Calibration and Bass Preferences
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
pb16-ultra , sb16-ultra , Svs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page