AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-subwoofers-bass-transducers/)
-   -   SVS Unleashes 16-Ultra Series Subwoofers Featuring 8" Voice Coil Drivers (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-subwoofers-bass-transducers/2602833-svs-unleashes-16-ultra-series-subwoofers-featuring-8-voice-coil-drivers.html)

imagic 10-06-2016 07:01 AM

SVS Unleashes 16-Ultra Series Subwoofers Featuring 8" Voice Coil Drivers
 
Subwoofer specialist SVS sound has just announced two new models that instantly stand out for their awe-inspiring specifications. The new 16-Ultra series, featuring the SB16-Ultra ($2000) sealed-box sub and the PB16-Ultra ($2500) ported sub, are the company's new reference standard for bass reproduction.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/imageh...63a6dce88e.jpg
The new top of the line at SVS, the Ultra-16 series.


The mechanical centerpiece of these subwoofers is a 16-inch driver that features an 8-inch edge wound voice coil capable of handling the juice supplied by the built-in amplifier's 1500 watts of continuous output—with 5000+ watts peaks. SVS says that the 1500-watt continuous, 5000-watt peak power STA-1500D amplifier is actually conservatively rated, and offers superior performance to other class-D designs thanks to the use of discrete MOSFET output.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/imageh...63a6e16dba.jpg
The amp used in the Ultra-16 series subs.


According to SVS, the use of a unprecedented (in the consumer market) 8-inch voice coil gives the amplifier complete control over the driver, with the benefit being improved transient response and lower distortion. The cone is made of fiberglass resin composite, and the company says that the four toroidal ferrite magnets that make up the motor are the heaviest ever used in a subwoofer.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/imageh...63a6dbe715.jpg
An SVS SB16-Ultra sub in its natural environment.


A newly-developed smartphone app allows 16-Ultra owners to control and manipulate the integrated DSP processor. Options include polarity, room gain, phase alignment, parametric EQ, etc. It includes custom user presets, and you can also program the subwoofer as well as recall those presets using an available infrared remote the sub's panel display. The DSP itself comes from Analog Devices, operates at 50 MHz, and uses 56-bit filtering. The company says it's the most sophisticated processor to ever be featured in a consumer subwoofer, and that it allows for precision tuning of the sub's output.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/imageh...63a6e04c52.jpg
You can control the Ultra-16 sub's DSP with a smartphone app.


https://www.avsforum.com/forum/imageh...63a6de758d.jpg
The new subs also include a display on the front, for adjusting settings with an IR remote.


Unsurprisingly, 16-Ultra series subwoofers have extra thick MDF front baffles and rigid internal bracing to help prevent resonances and coloration caused by the cabinet.

"The Ultra Series subwoofers have been the most important SVS products for so long that we knew our newest iteration had to be groundbreaking on many levels. I challenged our engineering team to create a signature subwoofer line for the entire industry and not just for SVS and to push the boundaries of innovation and performance as much as possible," said Gary Yacoubian, SVS president and managing partner. "We set out to create the reference standard for all subwoofers and shake the foundations of the audio world by making this level of experience available to more people than ever before."

Expect these new subwoofers to ship starting November 1 in either a black oak, or a piano gloss black finish.

MIkeDuke 10-06-2016 07:07 AM

I am quite happy with my SubMersive but I remember rumors of a sub like this from SVS years ago. I don't think they were ever sure they would get it done. I am sure it will be quite the performer though.

classicrecording 10-06-2016 07:30 AM

WOW, I'm impressed!

Jonas2 10-06-2016 07:30 AM

This is pretty tasty, but I'm so pressed for space already I'll have to stick with my SB13U. Didn't know what SVS was going to offer, and I'm still in the trade-up period on my 13 so was thinking upgrade, but this 16 is just a bit too big. :( Still, looks like a great offering from SVS, maybe when I get a bigger place...:)

Steve1981 10-06-2016 07:41 AM

Will definitely be interesting to see what these puppies can do.

On the downside, I H-A-T-E the look of the totally exposed display on the front baffle, and corresponding hole in the grill. Looks like it'd give my 2 year old at least a few minutes of entertainment mashing buttons at looking at pretty lights though :p

tezster 10-06-2016 07:42 AM

Specs look pretty darn good - not sure if I like the high-tech look with the LED display on the front panel, but that's a nit-pick.

eljaycanuck 10-06-2016 07:51 AM

I like the front panel - much better / more useful than a rear-mounted panel...as long as:
- the buttons can be disabled ("lock" mode); and
- the display can be turned off (or at least significantly dimmed).

:)

smurraybhm 10-06-2016 07:55 AM

Kudos to SVS for finally rolling out a larger driver after sticking with the well respected SB/PB13 for so many years. At the price points of the new models they will have a lot of competition, personally I would buy something else, SVS lost the value proposition on the high end for me years ago. Please note I own a PC12+, so I'm on the team.

The EQ - meh - unnecessary cost given all the other options including XT32 (with Denon rolling out adjustable Audie EQ), improved YPAO, and the mighty offerings from Dirac. As pointed out above heaven forbid if you have any kids in the house - maybe there is a lockout function :)

basshead81 10-06-2016 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smurraybhm (Post 47289337)
Kudos to SVS for finally rolling out a larger driver after sticking with the well respected SB/PB13 for so many years. At the price points of the new models they will have a lot of competition, personally I would buy something else, SVS lost the value proposition on the high end for me years ago. Please note I own a PC12+, so I'm on the team.

The EQ - meh - unnecessary cost given all the other options including XT32 (with Denon rolling out adjustable EQ, improved YPAO, and the mighty offerings from Dirac. As pointed out above heaven forbid if you have any kids in the house - maybe there is a lockout function :)

I have to agree here...I would of liked to seen a bare bones 1500watt amp with knobs. Todays advancement with room correction software does a pretty good job with subs, so most controls end up being bypassed anyway. If they could of kept the price the same as the 13's while increasing performance, I would said home run...what I see is a ground rule double, not bad. Even if the 16 Ultra gains 4-4.5 DB, you still have the JTR Cap 1400 and PSA V3600i matching or exceeding those performance gains for 500.00 less.

Mashie Saldana 10-06-2016 08:19 AM

And exactly how heavy will the PB16 be considering what a pain the PB13 was to get up two flights of stairs?

Steve1981 10-06-2016 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mashie Saldana (Post 47289833)
And exactly how heavy will the PB16 be considering what a pain the PB13 was to get up two flights of stairs?

A mere 174.5lbs.

KidHorn 10-06-2016 08:31 AM

I'm sure they're nice subs, but $2000/$2500 seems a bit pricey to me.

Billy p 10-06-2016 08:33 AM

50 Attachment(s)
Ok...I'll say it...to little to late.... thou...definitely nice looking units. Never a fan of the DSP controls in back...nice to see control access up front...iirc....the DSP based program.... was intended for individuals who use integrated amp or separates...i wasn't a fan of paying a premium for redundant processing... if you already have a newer a capable AV receiver....

basshead81 10-06-2016 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Billy p (Post 47290177)
Ok...I'll say it...to little to late.... thou...definitely nice looking units. Never a fan of the DSP controls in back...nice to see control access up front...iirc....the DSP based program.... was intended for individuals who use integrated amp or separates...i wasn't a fan of paying a premium for redundant processing... if you already have a newer a capable AV receiver....

I would think majority these days have a AVR with room correction and the minority would be those with separates. So yes I agree the extra processing is redundant and just adds extra cost that is unwarranted.

marcdorfman 10-06-2016 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by basshead81 (Post 47290449)
I would think majority these days have a AVR with room correction and the minority would be those with separates. So yes I agree the extra processing is redundant and just adds extra cost that is unwarranted.

No mention on the website, anyone know if there is a cylinder model planned for the 16" driver line?

TVMAN1991 10-06-2016 09:22 AM

HNNNNGGGGG

What makes SVS attractive for me is the gorgeous styling. That woofer looks beautiful, the cabinet's piano black finish is a match for JL, and they are just awesome subs.

I've been missing a sealed sub for my small room, as my eyesore of a PSA V1500 looks disgusting.

To buy an SB16-U or not... still a month away!

BrolicBeast 10-06-2016 09:49 AM

I remember 2008 or 2009, these 16" subs were announced...and then scrapped. As a former PB-13 owner, I looked forward to these releases and the scrapping of those plans caused me to seek low Hz fix elsewhere. I am SO excited that these are being released. Although I'm not a prospective customer, I know how good SVS products are and the owners of these subs will definitely enjoy themselves.

rms8 10-06-2016 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smurraybhm (Post 47289337)
.... XT32 (with Denon rolling out adjustable Audie EQ)....


Hmmm, can you elaborate on this?

Is this something new vs. what they currently already offer?

.

supert 10-06-2016 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rms8 (Post 47292937)
Hmmm, can you elaborate on this?

Is this something new vs. what they currently already offer?

.

How much more of output over SB13-ultra or PB13? 4-6DB+?

Charles R 10-06-2016 10:30 AM

My take is these are "designed" not for the AVS market rather your typical high-end customer and the bells and whistles will impress.

Darian97 10-06-2016 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eljaycanuck (Post 47289265)
I like the front panel - much better / more useful than a rear-mounted panel...as long as:
- the buttons can be disabled ("lock" mode); and
- the display can be turned off (or at least significantly dimmed).

:)

On their current amps on their ultra series the lcd screen only illuminates when making adjustments. I'm sure the same will be the case for these new amps. Not sure about the "lock" mode.

Quote:

Originally Posted by basshead81 (Post 47289449)
If they could of kept the price the same as the 13's while increasing performance, I would said home run...what I see is a ground rule double, not bad. Even if the 16 Ultra gains 4-4.5 DB, you still have the JTR Cap 1400 and PSA V3600i matching or exceeding those performance gains for 500.00 less.

Being the "over the top" home theater enthusiasts that we are, it would have been extremely difficult for SVS to introduce a new line of superior subs to keep up with our demands and expectations without increasing the cost. Could they have cut out some of the fancy electronics and paint it with some sort of industrial type finish? Sure but that's not what SVS is known for. To be fair, if you get a Cap1400 with a piano finish it would cost $2400 plus shipping. I'm really surprised the V3600 gets compared so often to much smaller subs. Yes, the V3600 may perform very similar to the Cap1400 and other single driver subs but the size alone puts the V3600 in a different category.

enricoclaudio 10-06-2016 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rms8 (Post 47292937)
Hmmm, can you elaborate on this?

Is this something new vs. what they currently already offer?

.

This only apply to 2016 Denon and Marantz models:

Another feature added for 2016 is support for the new Audyssey smartphone app. As Audyssey Pro is phased out, this app will provide many of the same features in an easier to use fashion, making it accessible to consumers as well as custom installers. The app will guide the user through the Audyssey calibration, using the included Audyssey microphone for auto-calibration. The app will also allow the user to check correction results, set target sound options, adjust frequency roll-off, set mid-range compensation controls and save/load/view/print results. The new app will be available from app stores in October for a cost of €19.99, which is considerably less than the old Audyssey Pro kit.

Ted Sheckler 10-06-2016 10:46 AM

Nice, now let's see the numbers:)

Craig Peer 10-06-2016 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrolicBeast (Post 47292425)
I remember 2008 or 2009, these 16" subs were announced...and then scrapped. As a former PB-13 owner, I looked forward to these releases and the scrapping of those plans caused me to seek low Hz fix elsewhere. I am SO excited that these are being released. Although I'm not a prospective customer, I know how good SVS products are and the owners of these subs will definitely enjoy themselves.

I can only imagine how good these subs would sound in my room, although I'm happy with my current PC12 + subs ! :)

Sean Spamilton 10-06-2016 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darian97 (Post 47293417)
On their current amps on their ultra series the lcd screen only illuminates when making adjustments. I'm sure the same will be the case for these new amps. Not sure about the "lock" mode.



Being the "over the top" home theater enthusiasts that we are, it would have been extremely difficult for SVS to introduce a new line of superior subs to keep up with our demands and expectations without increasing the cost. Could they have cut out some of the fancy electronics and paint it with some sort of industrial type finish? Sure but that's not what SVS is known for. To be fair, if you get a Cap1400 with a piano finish it would cost $2400 plus shipping. I'm really surprised the V3600 gets compared so often to much smaller subs. Yes, the V3600 may perform very similar to the Cap1400 and other single driver subs but the size alone puts the V3600 in a different category.

Actually, initially SVS was known for their extremely well designed subs that significantly outperformed those from traditional sub manufacturers by offering the (now ubiquitous) Internet direct model of building and shipping goods straight to customers for a fraction of what you'd pay otherwise. Their price/performance ratio was off the charts.

It seems though that more and more SVS is being forced to cater to a more boutique customer due to increased competition from Power Sound Audio, Rythmik and HSU who adopted the same model, improved on it, and made it their own. Instead of taking on the aforementioned manufacturers from a price/performance standpoint, they're now adopting a business model closer to those that they initially sought to usurp by offering a premium priced product with increased reliance on aesthetics and gadgetry such as internal room correction.

To be honest these new products remind me of subs from Velodyne, which wouldn't be such a bad thing EXCEPT for the fact that it was at the expense of subwoofer manufacturers like Velodyne that they built their company in the first place.

I've owned SVS products before and loved them; their bill of customer rights was/is fantastic for consumers and their subs do sound great - BUT, I am honestly concerned that this new strategic direction (in direct opposition to their founding ideology) doesn't bode well for the future profitability of the company.

STL D 10-06-2016 11:10 AM

I'm going to mention the aspect people seem to be ignoring here: The native tuning on the PB-16u is 12hz. A 12hz f3 native tuning is pretty significant, as even the titans of the market are tuned ~17hz. I do believe the price is higher than it should be, and I won't be buying as I have a UM18, but I look forward to seeing this thing tested. If the motor strength is as high as I expect it to be, this thing should have some serious output down low where other subs are cut via HPF.

MichaelJW 10-06-2016 11:11 AM

25 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by basshead81 (Post 47289449)
Quote:

Originally Posted by smurraybhm (Post 47289337)
Kudos to SVS for finally rolling out a larger driver after sticking with the well respected SB/PB13 for so many years. At the price points of the new models they will have a lot of competition, personally I would buy something else, SVS lost the value proposition on the high end for me years ago. Please note I own a PC12+, so I'm on the team.

The EQ - meh - unnecessary cost given all the other options including XT32 (with Denon rolling out adjustable EQ, improved YPAO, and the mighty offerings from Dirac. As pointed out above heaven forbid if you have any kids in the house - maybe there is a lockout function https://www.avsforum.com//forum/images/smilies/smile.gif

I have to agree here...I would of liked to seen a bare bones 1500watt amp with knobs. Todays advancement with room correction software does a pretty good job with subs, so most controls end up being bypassed anyway. If they could of kept the price the same as the 13's while increasing performance, I would said home run...what I see is a ground rule double, not bad. Even if the 16 Ultra gains 4-4.5 DB, you still have the JTR Cap 1400 and PSA V3600i matching or exceeding those performance gains for 500.00 less.

And they are now competing directly with companies like Funk Audio who offers the 18.0C for $2245 with a choice of real wood veneers and a fantastic TSAD 18" driver in a small footprint. DSP in subwoofers can be useful for instance time aligning multiple subwoofers.

Tom Vodhanel 10-06-2016 11:15 AM

All new driver design, amp design, and new enclosures. Even given a modest 3dB increase in headroom you have to look at it from SVS's POV. Hey, we're selling the $2000 PB13 like crazy. If we up the performance by about 50% and price the new one 20% higher...

After reading the marketing blurb I was honestly expecting $3000 for the vented and $2500 for the sealed. bet they sell these things as fast as they can import them. I say well done svs.

They're not going to sweat about AVS comparisons to true ID companies, svs is more worried about joe-audio walking into Nebraska Furniture Mart and seeing one of these things and begging his wife to be allowed to get one..;)

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

MichaelJW 10-06-2016 11:21 AM

25 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Vodhanel (Post 47294785)
All new driver design, amp design, and new enclosures. Even given a modest 3dB increase in headroom you have to look at it from SVS's POV. Hey, we're selling the $2000 PB13 like crazy. If we up the performance by about 50% and price the new one 20% higher...

After reading the marketing blurb I was honestly expecting $3000 for the vented and $2500 for the sealed. bet they sell these things as fast as they can import them. I say well done svs.

They're not going to sweat about AVS comparisons to true ID companies, svs is more worried about joe-audio walking into Nebraska Furniture Mart and seeing one of these things and begging his wife to be allowed to get one..https://www.avsforum.com//forum/images/smilies/wink.gif

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

I thought you were kidding about the Nebraska Furniture Mart part until I looked it up.

rms8 10-06-2016 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enricoclaudio (Post 47293465)
This only apply to 2016 Denon and Marantz models:

Another feature added for 2016 is support for the new Audyssey smartphone app. As Audyssey Pro is phased out, this app will provide many of the same features in an easier to use fashion, making it accessible to consumers as well as custom installers. The app will guide the user through the Audyssey calibration, using the included Audyssey microphone for auto-calibration. The app will also allow the user to check correction results, set target sound options, adjust frequency roll-off, set mid-range compensation controls and save/load/view/print results. The new app will be available from app stores in October for a cost of €19.99, which is considerably less than the old Audyssey Pro kit.


Nice.

THX !


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:53 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.