9 Things to Consider When Shopping for a Subwoofer - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 61Likes

post #61 of 68 Old 10-31-2017, 11:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Hello All,

I have a newbie question as I need help finding the best sub for my setup. This is for a HT setup in a room that is 17x19x9. I'm looking more so for low end frequency response with decent SPL output. As the first post mentioned, I plan to watch movies and need the extended bottom end for around $250 - $350. After reading almost the entire thread I've learned there are awesome budget sub's that can do this. What has me scratching my head is, I currently have a Velodyne DLS-3750R that I'm not impressed with. The spec's are telling me I should be happy with this sub, but.....my old JBL PSW-1000 sub had a better response. The JBL did bottom out at high levels. So it had to go. Sorry JBL, maybe next time. With the Velodyne, I tried different placement positions and crossover/EQ settings and I'm not getting that rumble at 28hz. So, I found a Boston HPS12HO for little to nothing. Here are the advantages the HPS12HO has on paper over the DLS-3750. Note: The Velo also has a noisy vent at 30Hz.
DLS-3750 HPS12HO
175RMS watts 300RMS watts
28hz-150hz 25hz-200hz
10" Driver 12" Driver

I have yet to test the Boston sub in comparison to the Velo, but I'm learning Spec's doesn't always equal performance. Is there a budget sub ($300) that magically hit 20Hz with a decent SPL?

Thanks All.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 68 Old 11-12-2018, 07:39 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willkr3 View Post
Hello All,

I have a newbie question as I need help finding the best sub for my setup. This is for a HT setup in a room that is 17x19x9. I'm looking more so for low end frequency response with decent SPL output. As the first post mentioned, I plan to watch movies and need the extended bottom end for around $250 - $350. After reading almost the entire thread I've learned there are awesome budget sub's that can do this. What has me scratching my head is, I currently have a Velodyne DLS-3750R that I'm not impressed with. The spec's are telling me I should be happy with this sub, but.....my old JBL PSW-1000 sub had a better response. The JBL did bottom out at high levels. So it had to go. Sorry JBL, maybe next time. With the Velodyne, I tried different placement positions and crossover/EQ settings and I'm not getting that rumble at 28hz. So, I found a Boston HPS12HO for little to nothing. Here are the advantages the HPS12HO has on paper over the DLS-3750. Note: The Velo also has a noisy vent at 30Hz.
DLS-3750 HPS12HO
175RMS watts 300RMS watts
28hz-150hz 25hz-200hz
10" Driver 12" Driver

I have yet to test the Boston sub in comparison to the Velo, but I'm learning Spec's doesn't always equal performance. Is there a budget sub ($300) that magically hit 20Hz with a decent SPL?

Thanks All.

My vote would be Premier Acoustic PA150 if they still have them in stock as it has been discontinued earlier this year. If not then my second vote would be BIC-PL200 II or F12. Good luck

Video: BenQ HT3550 4K Projector - Elite Screens Manual Grande Series - 128inch
Pre Amp: Marantz 7705/ Power Amplifiers: Emotiva XPA-3, UPA-700
JBL - Stage A190 Towers L/R , Stage A135 Center , Stage A190 surrounds , Atmos Klipsch rp-500sa
Subwoofer PSA 2xV1801 / Xbox One X, Nvidia Shield, Darbee Darblet 5000
post #63 of 68 Old 01-19-2019, 09:45 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Is there a general rule of thumb based on the size of a living room that would give me an indication of how much sub I would need (power wise and/or size wise)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 68 Old 01-20-2019, 05:09 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hello. Is anyone around?
post #65 of 68 Old 01-22-2019, 07:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1245 Post(s)
Liked: 1064
Quote:
Originally Posted by grampi View Post
Is there a general rule of thumb based on the size of a living room that would give me an indication of how much sub I would need (power wise and/or size wise)?
For the most part you can't generalize a sub's output based on just power rating or size nor can you generalize what's appropriate for a particular room without more specific information regarding your setup and needs. Best to give what your room size is, open or sealed room, listening preferences (movies/music mix, listening volume relative to reference), budget, size constraints. With this you can get some better tailored recs from the forum. Also of interest Audioholics does rate subs in their reviews in terms of room size appropriateness but again this can be hard to generalize. See below link.

https://www.audioholics.com/loudspea...ofer-room-size

LG OLED65C7P (Chad B Calibrated) | Denon X4300H | Tivo Roamio OTA | Nvidia Shield | ATV 4K | Oppo UDP-203 | Plex server
5.2.4 | Front Klipsch RP-160M x2 | Center Klipsch RP-450C | Surrounds Klipsch RP-150M x2 | Atmos Klipsch RP-140SA x 4 | Subs SVS PC-4000 x 2
post #66 of 68 Old 02-12-2019, 07:35 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I am looking at upgrading my speakers and getting a sub for a nice basic system for 80% music and 20% home theater. Where I want to put the speakers and subs limits the size. I want to put the bookshelf speakers up on my shelves and they have a depth of 10" - so that has limited the bookshelf speaker options. I am leaning toward the Dynamic Technology D7s for the speaker portion (I am open to other options, but the depth needs to be equal to or less then 9.5").

The sub portion has me a bit confused as there are a few options from brands that all seem to be pretty reputable and seem to make nice products - with that they seem to have different setups that may or may not be better in the space - passive radiators (maybe not a good idea if there will only be 1/4" of space on either side of the sub?), downward facing, and forward facing orientations. The spot I want to put the sub is about 11.75" wide - this obviously limits the sub options and I want a little space on each side so limited width to 11.5". The main area where these speakers and sub will be is 13"x15" with an 8" ceiling - although this area is open to our kitchen and eating area as well.

The subs I have found that look like they would work dimension wise are the following - Monitor Audio CW8, KEF Cube 8b, Dynamic Technology ProSub 800 or their SuperCube 4000, Martin Logan Dynamo 700, and Rel T5/i. The specs on speakers and subs completely confuse me and I am guessing that a bigger sub in this scenario may not mean it is a better sub?

I play a wide variety of music and do not plan on absolutely blasting it - it would probably be higher volume for home theater use versus music. Which of these (or open to other options as long as they are equal to or less then 11.5" wide) would be best for 80% music and 20% home theater function? I have enough hobbies and tend to fall into hobby rabbit holes quite easily. I really do not want to fall into an audiophile rabbit hole so I figured it was just easier to ask all of you! If it matters - which it probably does - the receiver is pretty basic and is a Denon AVR-S10BT. I can update that later if I need to, but new speakers and sub are a priority at the moment. Thank you in advance for your help!
post #67 of 68 Old 02-17-2019, 05:50 AM

Location: North Shore of central Long Island, NY (Stony Brook)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I don't know if it's appropriate to attach my question to this thread, but it's related so here goes. Two questions:
1. Why do some mfrs. have different models for music or home theater? I'm considering Rhythmics which so pose that question. Back in the day, when ported speakers were called Bass Reflex, they were quite boomy and Acoustic Research and KLH introduced their sealed bookshelf speakers. So I'm limiting my considerations to sealed boxes.
2. For a music system, and a fixed budget, is it better to have two smaller or one larger sub (same total cost)?
post #68 of 68 Old 08-22-2019, 11:18 AM

Location: North Shore of central Long Island, NY (Stony Brook)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 48
In the 6 months since I wrote the above post, I've gotten my living room set up, with a NAD C368 amplifier. I'm currently using a pair of AR15s and/or KLH17s (one pair in the living room and the other pair in the basement on zone 2). I am still interested in adding a sub; because my music tastes lean to classical orchestral and organ music; not extremely loud, but good sub-16 Hz however. On another thread, I saw some links to Youtube videos of some very impressive organ music, but I've only listened to them in my office on small computer speakers. (Parenthetically, how good are Youtube videos? Some of them seemed to break up a lot).
I'm leaning toward Rhythmic subs; I'm intrigued by their feedback control system; I notice that they weren't mentioned in this thread at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page