Klipsch R-12SW - I'm not "feeling" much of the sound :( - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 25Likes

post #31 of 48 Old 11-22-2016, 11:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2678 Post(s)
Liked: 2493
Sb12-nsd wont compete with the I-12. I used to own the sb12. It's a good sub, but it's a small, sealed sub best suited for smaller rooms and not strong for home theater.
Madmax67 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 48 Old 11-22-2016, 01:07 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 127
At USD ~400 delivered, I don't think that the SB12-NSD can be beat:

https://www.svsound.com/products/sb12-nsd

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009F8Y7SO/

http://www.audioholics.com/subwoofer...d-measurements

A/VR: Sony STR-DE598; front: 2x Polk Audio (1x RTi6 + 1x TSx220B)
subs: 1x JBL PSW-1200 + 1x BIC RtR RtR-12S
sides: 1x Boston Acoustics CS26 II + 1x Klipsch Reference R-15M
monitor: LG 24EA53V-P (panel: LG Display AH-IPS)
display: Sony BRAVIA KDL-48W600B (panel: S-LCD S-PVA)
post #33 of 48 Old 11-22-2016, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIX_MASTER_ICE View Post
Sb12-nsd wont compete with the I-12. I used to own the sb12. It's a good sub, but it's a small, sealed sub best suited for smaller rooms and not strong for home theater.
Thanks for all of your help MIX_MASTER_ICE. It seems that the I-12 seems to be the best choice for me. Now to wait and hope those clearance ones appear on their site soon!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 48 Old 11-22-2016, 07:33 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonfar View Post
My whole floor is carpet with concrete underneath.

Awesome! Thanks, that's exactly what I was wondering. I may be open to the idea of getting a second sub in the future.. Is the output of the I-12 that much more compared to the Jamo? I'm looking for that feeling a bit more than other qualities I'm sure its much more tight and clear sounding. However since the frequency response goes to 23hz that probably makes you "feel" it more as well, so many variables!
Yea, a large room with concrete floor is going to need some power/woofage to get serious bass that you can "feel."

Last edited by daudi81; 11-22-2016 at 08:30 PM.
post #35 of 48 Old 11-24-2016, 08:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1138 Post(s)
Liked: 30859
Quote:
I just bought this sub because according to all the reviews, it is "shaking everyone's house, even when it's not turned up all the way." I also bought this receiver to go along with it: Denon 700w AVR-S510BT. It does sound much better than my previous little monoprice sub and doesn't clip like it did, but I was expecting to "feel" the bass a lot more according to the many reviews i've read even when I turn the volume on the sub all the way up. I can feel it slightly, but no where near what I was hoping/expecting for this kind of price.

I'm located in a 20x20 room, I first ran the auto setup, then after that I started fiddling around with any setting I could to hopefully up the sub volume. I set all the speakers to small, and turned up the SW channel to +12db.

Does anyone have any ideas to what i'm missing to get that nice sub feel? Or were my expectation too high in the first place? Sorry for the noob question, but i've been playing with settings for the past 2 days nonstop and don't know where else to look
Hi zonfar,

I sent you a private message.
post #36 of 48 Old 11-24-2016, 03:58 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
I just bought this sub because according to all the reviews, it is "shaking everyone's house, even when it's not turned up all the way."
It does sound much better than my previous little monoprice sub and doesn't clip like it did, but I was expecting to "feel" the bass a lot more according to the many reviews i've read even when I turn the volume on the sub all the way up. I can feel it slightly, but no where near what I was hoping/expecting for this kind of price.

I'm located in a 20x20 room ...

Or were my expectation too high in the first place? Sorry for the noob question, but i've been playing with settings for the past 2 days nonstop and don't know where else to look
Your first mistake was not going to a Bricks-And-Mortar Klipsch dealer and listening to this and a number of other subwoofers. Online reviews can point you in the right direction, to make up a short list, but under no circumstances are they a substitute for auditioning. Your expectations would not have been too high had you done your due diligence before buying.

You repeated and compounded your mistake by buying a receiver without auditioning it to see if it worked well with the subwoofer you had already purchased.

Audio products cannot be evaluated from behind a computer screen. You may find you get a satisfaction from buying a given product at a good price online. The problem is you may have bought the wrong product if you haven't spent time listening to your options either at a friend's home or at a retail store. Sorry ... it's just the way it is.

Your room is huge. You need a powerful subwoofer to energize a room of that size.

A dealer would have warned you about this had you bothered to visit one, or you could have asked in a forum post what others suggest for a room of 20x20'.

Now that you have committed to one model, you may in fact do best with dual subwoofers. Two units have advantages over one that extend beyond simply covering the area you need to cover, so consider it an upgrade overall.

Then again you may want to cut your losses, sell what you bought, and buy something more suitable to your unique requirements.
karps1987 and Madmax67 like this.

" ... It's not rocket science. Just trust your ears. You can hear as well as anyone else what sounds good and what doesn't. Given the chance to listen to all these different things, you can tell why people like [different Studio Recording Consoles]. It's not that hard to figure it out, if you hear them both in front of you — it's pretty obvious what sounds better. ..."
-Jay Masicus (Record Producer)
post #37 of 48 Old 11-25-2016, 01:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt2026 View Post
Hi zonfar,

I sent you a private message.
You sir are too kind! I'll respond to your pm once I hit posts and am able to PM! :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny2Bad View Post
Your first mistake was not going to a Bricks-And-Mortar Klipsch dealer and listening to this and a number of other subwoofers. Online reviews can point you in the right direction, to make up a short list, but under no circumstances are they a substitute for auditioning. Your expectations would not have been too high had you done your due diligence before buying.

You repeated and compounded your mistake by buying a receiver without auditioning it to see if it worked well with the subwoofer you had already purchased.

Audio products cannot be evaluated from behind a computer screen. You may find you get a satisfaction from buying a given product at a good price online. The problem is you may have bought the wrong product if you haven't spent time listening to your options either at a friend's home or at a retail store. Sorry ... it's just the way it is.

Your room is huge. You need a powerful subwoofer to energize a room of that size.

A dealer would have warned you about this had you bothered to visit one, or you could have asked in a forum post what others suggest for a room of 20x20'.

Now that you have committed to one model, you may in fact do best with dual subwoofers. Two units have advantages over one that extend beyond simply covering the area you need to cover, so consider it an upgrade overall.

Then again you may want to cut your losses, sell what you bought, and buy something more suitable to your unique requirements.
I definitely made plenty of mistakes, but I didn't know any better. As I said I am new to subwoofers. As for testing out subwoofers/receiver at a dealership isn't really an option for me as there are no dealerships anywhere remotely close to me. At least none that i'm aware of. All in all, the klipsch I have is starting to grow on me, but I think i'll still see if amazon will take it back.
post #38 of 48 Old 11-25-2016, 06:06 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
You sir are too kind! I'll respond to your pm once I hit posts and am able to PM! :P

I definitely made plenty of mistakes, but I didn't know any better. As I said I am new to subwoofers. As for testing out subwoofers/receiver at a dealership isn't really an option for me as there are no dealerships anywhere remotely close to me. At least none that i'm aware of. All in all, the klipsch I have is starting to grow on me, but I think i'll still see if amazon will take it back.

I think everyone has made mistakes, I'd prefer calling them learning curves. I have 2 large 10 year old paper weight Klipsch "curves" I'd rather see burned on youtube than selling them for a few bucks... Back then they were decent for the money...

My advise is, if some of the best of the best are not in your grasp now, save and suffer till they are. Never too much BASS IMO. You will be a happy camper when those 20-18HZ movie explosions shake the couch like a earthquake, your cloths and hair moves while the pictures fall off the wall..

Last edited by Orijen; 11-25-2016 at 06:18 AM.
post #39 of 48 Old 11-25-2016, 08:59 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Start with the sub crawl, try to find the BEST spot for you sub in your room for your listening position. There are many explanations on how to do this. Then, re-evaluate your Klipsch. It may not be everything you want, but it is likely better than what you're experiencing now. Turning the sub level up the way you're doing is a good way to blow the sub and if it's in the wrong spot, you're just not going to get much output.

Next if you want more, these are two options I would suggest:
1. Get another Klipsch (on sale today), add it to your room based on your sub crawl put both subs in the 2 best positions in the room. Simply corner loading them would be a good place to start (again, many explanations on basic setups for dual subs are available online)

2. Sell the Klipsch and get a bigger better sub. The SVS PB2000 is an excellent suggestion and represents the basics of what I suggest you look for: bigger box, more watts. This is a case where bigger really is better. Bigger boxes are MUCH more efficient with turning power into sound, so you can get lower Hz and better decibels with a bigger ported box, without having to increase the power too much.
zonfar likes this.

HT setup: Vizio 50" 4K | Xbox & PS3 | Pioneer Elite VSX-94TX | Bose 701 towers (V1) | JBL S Center | Def Tech Reference SuperCube & DIY Nearfield cabinet ported UM18 dual ported PA380 ULF+MBM
post #40 of 48 Old 11-30-2016, 11:45 PM - Thread Starter

I just wanted to update everyone that thanks to the very thoughtful super sweet and awesome Matt2026 who donated his extra klipsch to me, having this second sub definitely fills the room with bass and I am very content. Thanks again Matt2026, you rock my socks off both literally, and figuratively!

Also thanks to all the help from users giving me suggestions in this thread. I may upgrade later down the line to the I-12, but for now, I am content!
post #41 of 48 Old 12-01-2016, 07:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked: 393
@1201 is right. For some of the prices discussed above you can DIY/AIY a ported 18" that will give you plenty of feeling and much more value for your $

Display 2013 Samsung 75" UN75F6300 TV Media Xbox One X, Dune Solo, QNAP TS-453A NAS
Pre/Amp Marantz 7702mk2 Processor + DIY 11ch Icepower 50ASX2BTL Monoblock Amp Amp Build Link
7.2.4 Speakers DIYSG 1099s (LCR), Volt 10LX (SL, SR), Volt 8LX (BL, BR), Volt 10LX (TF, TR) Volt Build Link
Subs Dual 19Hz DIY Ported UXL-18s + FP14k Amp + MiniDSP 2x4 Balanced Tactile Crowsons + iNuke 6000DSP
post #42 of 48 Old 06-10-2020, 05:48 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Costco has the Klipsch R-12SW on sale for $60 off at $189.99 now (June 2020)
Dom Di Stroia likes this.
post #43 of 48 Old 06-10-2020, 07:23 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWLinPHX View Post
woo weee talk about bringing back a lost thread! you really likin' this R-12sw deal eh?

My HT: 7.3.4
Spoiler!
post #44 of 48 Old 06-10-2020, 07:37 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Lmao!!!

AVR: Yamaha TSR-7850, Fronts: DCM TP260, Center: DCM TP160C, Sub: Premier Acoustic PA-150 (2-FV18/PC on the way!!)
post #45 of 48 Old 06-11-2020, 01:41 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by phatfreeza View Post
woo weee talk about bringing back a lost thread! you really likin' this R-12sw deal eh?
Well it's still considered a current model on the market (Costco still features it) but the threads I found about it were all a few years old so figured someone might like to know about the current low price at a place that takes unlimited returns (this does not fall under their 90-day-only return policy).
Dom Di Stroia likes this.
post #46 of 48 Old 06-11-2020, 07:50 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWLinPHX View Post

Thank you.

A/VR: Sony STR-DE598; front: 2x Polk Audio (1x RTi6 + 1x TSx220B)
subs: 1x JBL PSW-1200 + 1x BIC RtR RtR-12S
sides: 1x Boston Acoustics CS26 II + 1x Klipsch Reference R-15M
monitor: LG 24EA53V-P (panel: LG Display AH-IPS)
display: Sony BRAVIA KDL-48W600B (panel: S-LCD S-PVA)
post #47 of 48 Old 06-22-2020, 06:25 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
I just wanted to update everyone that thanks to the very thoughtful super sweet and awesome Matt2026 who donated his extra klipsch to me, having this second sub definitely fills the room with bass and I am very content. Thanks again Matt2026, you rock my socks off both literally, and figuratively!

Also thanks to all the help from users giving me suggestions in this thread. I may upgrade later down the line to the I-12, but for now, I am content!
Hey zonfar,
I plan to get second R-12SW to match current one I have in my large family room and considering to get from Costco sale for $190. I was curious if you have 2 of these in your room and how much bass improvement you noticed after adding second one?
I got my first R-12SW few years ago from BB in PM deal for just $180! and with second one from Costco I will be at $380 for two R-12SW sub setup, seems to be good price point to me for dual sub setup.

I have Pioneer Elite sc-95 receiver and have currently setup sub to plus setting so that it fires bass while listening to stereo youtube songs from Samsung tv through ARC. Also I primarily use receiver/sub for music and less for movies and I like music with bass, intention is to improve both music and movies experience by adding second sub.

Thanks!

TV:Samsung QN75Q90R
HT: Pioneer Elite sc-95, 5.1.2 speaker setup
Player: Nvidia Shield 2017
post #48 of 48 Old 06-29-2020, 09:33 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:

Hi Zonfar, Do you got a R-12SW from Matt2016 and now have 2 of these in your setup? Is it way better than having one R-12sw?
Thanks!

TV:Samsung QN75Q90R
HT: Pioneer Elite sc-95, 5.1.2 speaker setup
Player: Nvidia Shield 2017
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page