Official JTR Speakers Subwoofer Thread - Page 182 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 17292Likes

post #5431 of 12682 Old 08-05-2017, 06:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1345 Post(s)
Liked: 2531
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamg (Ret-Navy) View Post
No worries and no need to apologize. I have done the same darn thing a hundred times myself. I hope my pot did not come across as offensive or aggressive. If it did then I'm going to toss an Apology out to you!

Keep things in balance!
Who knows how those dragons ULF are effecting you adamg, brain injury can cause some aggressiveness

I am so envious on your shopping spree today, nice to have such a great wife to voice her opinion as well. So have you given the M&L the final thumbs up??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5432 of 12682 Old 08-05-2017, 06:51 PM
The Ultimate chest punch!

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked: 1806
Quote:
Originally Posted by indebtbassfreak View Post
Who knows how those dragons ULF are effecting you adamg, brain injury can cause some aggressiveness

I am so envious on your shopping spree today, nice to have such a great wife to voice her opinion as well. So have you given the M&L the final thumbs up??
You Funny!!!!

LOL, yeah I must self report here. I have been overly aggressive long before the JTR's and Marriage. So I can't blame them. I was sent to Anger Management Courses twice. In my service Jacket. Talk about Oxymoronic or sending Mixed metaphor messages. Learn to channel your Rage, but keep that temper and anger in check! Sir Yes sir! Aye aye! So if you must kill an Enemy Combatant, do it politely and with heart.

Did you hit a nerve? Na, all good....

Great Wife. Big Copy that! Far more than I deserve, and never less than I desire.

AdamG, ...out!
The government cannot give to anybody,
anything that the government does not first,
take from somebody else.
post #5433 of 12682 Old 08-05-2017, 07:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You Funny!!!!

LOL, yeah I must self report here. I have been overly aggressive long before the JTR's and Marriage. So I can't blame them. I was sent to Anger Management Courses twice. In my service Jacket. Talk about Oxymoronic or sending Mixed metaphor messages. Learn to channel your Rage, but keep that temper and anger in check! Sir Yes sir! Aye aye! So if you must kill an Enemy Combatant, do it politely and with heart.

Did you hit a nerve? Na, all good....

Great Wife. Big Copy that! Far more than I deserve, and never less than I desire.
Geez hope i didn't hit a nerve Cant wait to hear your final decision and better yet your impressions with whatever you choose!! Are there M&L electrostatic speakers small enough for your area?
Adamg (Ret-Navy) and Gearpro like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5434 of 12682 Old 08-05-2017, 07:39 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 65
I've been taking notice of all the movies with great bass lately....lol
I'm thinking live free or die hard tonight...I guess it's fitting as that was the motto for me upgrading to a bad boy sub...

You guys and gals should see all the great deals lately on blu ray. Best Buy had some deals in the 6.99 to 10.00 range with metal covers that included transformers, King Kong the one with Naomi watts and War of the worlds...kicking myself for not taking the metal edition WOTW home for 7 bucks..maybe I will nab it tomorrow.

I've been also checking local sales and people selling a ton of blu rays since everyone is moving to streaming.

Question for anyone that knows...I've noticed Dolby digital plus on Netflix and the hbo app doesn't quite hit as hard as the blu ray disc in regards to overall sound and bass which is expected right? Has anyone experienced blu ray lossless sound streaming by chance? Wondering if anyone has a 7.1 or 5.1 with Atmos, dts master hd or Dolby true hd within a stream. I know a lot of content is moving in the stream direction but if I can't get the same feel from a blu ray or 4K disc I will gladly build a small collection from the declining prices of discs in general. Of course you won't see the Holiday or fried green tomatoes in my collection because the disc will need to have the audio nirvana for me! Well maybe the Holiday with Cameron Diaz since my wife loves that movie.
chucky7 likes this.

[I]Video: Sony XBR-75X850C 75 inch 4k - Samsung 55inch 4k -58 PANASONIC PZ850u plasma
4k-Blu Ray: Sony UBP x800 - PS3 - oppo 103 Amp and power : Pioneer elite SC - 27 - Monster Power AVS 2000 Reference - DT BP 30s- 10s - citation 5.1
Speakers and Sub : Kef Model reference 1 - DT CLR 2000 - DT UIW BP/A in ceiling rears - DT BPX Rears - JTR Captivator 118HT
post #5435 of 12682 Old 08-05-2017, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2000 View Post
I've been taking notice of all the movies with great bass lately....lol
I'm thinking live free or die hard tonight...I guess it's fitting as that was the motto for me upgrading to a bad boy sub...

You guys and gals should see all the great deals lately on blu ray. Best Buy had some deals in the 6.99 to 10.00 range with metal covers that included transformers, King Kong the one with Naomi watts and War of the worlds...kicking myself for not taking the metal edition WOTW home for 7 bucks..maybe I will nab it tomorrow.

I've been also checking local sales and people selling a ton of blu rays since everyone is moving to streaming.

Question for anyone that knows...I've noticed Dolby digital plus on Netflix and the hbo app doesn't quite hit as hard as the blu ray disc in regards to overall sound and bass which is expected right? Has anyone experienced blu ray lossless sound streaming by chance? Wondering if anyone has a 7.1 or 5.1 with Atmos, dts master hd or Dolby true hd within a stream. I know a lot of content is moving in the stream direction but if I can't get the same feel from a blu ray or 4K disc I will gladly build a small collection from the declining prices of discs in general. Of course you won't see the Holiday or fried green tomatoes in my collection because the disc will need to have the audio nirvana for me! Well maybe the Holiday with Cameron Diaz since my wife loves that movie.
From what I know, and what do I know! All the Streaming Codec's are lossy and do not have the same dynamic range as the Bluray lossless Sound. I use VUDU and some movies even stream a Dolby ATMOS Track. But when I put in the Bluray its a night and day difference as far as fidelity and bass depth and punch. No comparison when engaging a JTR Sub.
chucky7 and s2000 like this.

AdamG, ...out!
take from somebody else.
post #5436 of 12682 Old 08-05-2017, 10:39 PM

Quote:
From what I know, and what do I know! All the Streaming Codec's are lossy and do not have the same dynamic range as the Bluray lossless Sound. I use VUDU and some movies even stream a Dolby ATMOS Track. But when I put in the Bluray its a night and day difference as far as fidelity and bass depth and punch. No comparison when engaging a JTR Sub.
I agree that some punch and feel is lost in the stream and glad someone else comfirmed it.

I also tried the 2nd to last episode in season 6 of game of thrones. I think it was called battle of the bastards if im not mistaken. The scene where the horses and arrows were flying everywhere. Dont get me wrong the audio was nice but not quite like a disc. I expected some heavy base in that scene but im sure the disc would have been much better. The atmos demos when the ships blew up had more of a punch for sure in game of thrones.

This will also have me thinking twice about a 4k audio receiver upgrade. I just wont be able to justify upgrading anytime soon if the stream and 4k passthrough doesnt bring the same kind of audio like a blu ray. Atmos is pretty cool no doubt about it but that can also be put on the back burner. The alternative I can work with is the 4k player I have has 2 HDMI inputs specifically for folks that dont have a 4k avr. This way the player will do the 4k passthrough and my current avr the lossless audio...all is not lost!
Adamg (Ret-Navy) likes this.

[I]Video: Sony XBR-75X850C 75 inch 4k - Samsung 55inch 4k -58 PANASONIC PZ850u plasma
4k-Blu Ray: Sony UBP x800 - PS3 - oppo 103 Amp and power : Pioneer elite SC - 27 - Monster Power AVS 2000 Reference - DT BP 30s- 10s - citation 5.1
Speakers and Sub : Kef Model reference 1 - DT CLR 2000 - DT UIW BP/A in ceiling rears - DT BPX Rears - JTR Captivator 118HT

Last edited by s2000; 08-05-2017 at 10:52 PM.
post #5437 of 12682 Old 08-06-2017, 12:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked: 983
My Caps arrive Monday and IM so stoked!! But ive had a set-back with my sciatica flairing up.

Ive been working entirely too much and pushing my body too hard in the last few weeks/months. I has both ankles fused having shattered both of them as well a both of my lower fibia/tiblia from a severe moto-cross wreck back in 2003 thats made me disabled but I get around pretty good after 3 years of recovery in wheelchair.

The flat footed nature of a fused ankle joint puts added stress to the back and I have had a disc removed 3 years ago but didn't relieve all the pain. It did help a bit. Sciatica is the main cause of pain. Hot shooting pain that goes from your lower back down you but cheek into you thigh and down the the knee. Its extremely diabilitating and it happens 4-6 times a year were it gets this sever and takes weeks to get back to halfway normal. I get steroidal injections 3 times a year but they only last a month or two and the pains back. Visited a chiropractor and it helped for a few hours but then later that night and up to now its caused it to be worse.

Sorry Im rambling. My main point is im not going to be able to finisih my theater until my back is better cause I want to build it all myself as much as possible. I only needed help with lifting heavy things and mounting the screen which is a two man job anyway so far.

Its very comforting knowing i have all the gear either in my possession or days away form it. Ill report as I go and update progress.

Cheers,

Jarod Reddig

JBL Pro Cinema/JTR/JVC/Denon/Oppo/Roku Ultra/Elite Screens/Furman/Seatcraft/Acoustimac/AudioQuest
post #5438 of 12682 Old 08-06-2017, 01:21 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 230 Post(s)
Quoted: 5269 Post(s)
Liked: 4794
@Reddig you are not alone. While I suffer from Sciatica it is not severe like yours. My main problems are from the C-Spine and Brachial-Plexus. Cervocogenic headaches (Occipital/Trigeminal aNeuralgia) debilitate me more than anything else. The chronic pain limits how much I can get done in a day (some days nothing).

I saw the commercial for Quell (available at Best Buy, WTH?) and I'm wondering if anyone knows anything about it?
chucky7 and Reddig like this.
post #5439 of 12682 Old 08-06-2017, 04:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 290 Post(s)
Quoted: 3403 Post(s)
Liked: 4161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Alexander View Post
@Reddig you are not alone. While I suffer from Sciatica it is not severe like yours. My main problems are from the C-Spine and Brachial-Plexus. Cervocogenic headaches (Occipital/Trigeminal aNeuralgia) debilitate me more than anything else. The chronic pain limits how much I can get done in a day (some days nothing).

I saw the commercial for Quell (available at Best Buy, WTH?) and I'm wondering if anyone knows anything about it?
It is available on Amazon... The reviews are not that great... Seems to work but not durable...
Reddig likes this.

Speakers: L/C/R: JTR Neosis 212HT. Surrounds: Jamo C103, KEF Q100, Polk Audio RTiA3.
Subwoofer: JTR Captivator 4000ULF.
AVR: Denon AVR-X4400H. TV: Samsung UN75NU8000FXZA.

FS: Jamo C103, KEF Q100 and Polk RTiA3
post #5440 of 12682 Old 08-06-2017, 05:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Question for anyone that knows...I've noticed Dolby digital plus on Netflix and the hbo app doesn't quite hit as hard as the blu ray disc in regards to overall sound and bass which is expected right? Has anyone experienced blu ray lossless sound streaming by chance?
My experience with audio and video quality is streaming is nowhere near as good as the actual disc. So I only rent discs from Netflix and then look for a good deal to come up to purchase if I really like the movie. I also stopped renting blue-ray discs that are Dolby Digital audio only after experiencing some really bad ones like House of Flying Daggers.
chucky7 and s2000 like this.
post #5441 of 12682 Old 08-06-2017, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddig View Post
My Caps arrive Monday and IM so stoked!! But ive had a set-back with my sciatica flairing up.

Ive been working entirely too much and pushing my body too hard in the last few weeks/months. I has both ankles fused having shattered both of them as well a both of my lower fibia/tiblia from a severe moto-cross wreck back in 2003 thats made me disabled but I get around pretty good after 3 years of recovery in wheelchair.

The flat footed nature of a fused ankle joint puts added stress to the back and I have had a disc removed 3 years ago but didn't relieve all the pain. It did help a bit. Sciatica is the main cause of pain. Hot shooting pain that goes from your lower back down you but cheek into you thigh and down the the knee. Its extremely diabilitating and it happens 4-6 times a year were it gets this sever and takes weeks to get back to halfway normal. I get steroidal injections 3 times a year but they only last a month or two and the pains back. Visited a chiropractor and it helped for a few hours but then later that night and up to now its caused it to be worse.

Sorry Im rambling. My main point is im not going to be able to finisih my theater until my back is better cause I want to build it all myself as much as possible. I only needed help with lifting heavy things and mounting the screen which is a two man job anyway so far.

Its very comforting knowing i have all the gear either in my possession or days away form it. Ill report as I go and update progress.

Cheers,

Jarod Reddig
Hi Red,

Lets just say I can relate to what you are going through. Life can suck, but it beats the alternatives, right?

Maybe you already know this, I don't know, and I don't want to come off telling you something you already know. So here it goes. When I have major flare ups, much like you just described. I grab a Medoral Dosepack (Methylprednisolone - Oral). Its a steroid pack you take for a week in decreasing dosages. It really helps! What is does is help reduce the swelling in tissue(s) that are pressing on your nerves causing the increased levels of pain. If you have never tried it, give your Doc a call and ask it you can get a scrip for it and try. It does wonders for me when I have major episodes. Good luck and I hope and pray you get better and find relief soon.

Nerve pain like the kind you have is the worst possible type of pain a human can endure. Another home treatment I use is Ice/Heat therapy. You use an Ice pack on the effected area (in this case your lower back). The ice must stay in place for 20 mins. Its called deep Ice Therapy. At first it will feel cold, then it will begin to burn, then the area will go numb. You must achieve the numb stage for it to work. I use a 20 min timer. After the Ice pack, use a heating pad for the same time interval. Repeat the cycle three full times. Ending with Ice. What this does is cause the tissue to shrink (from the Ice), and then swell (from the heat). But as you accomplish uninterrupted cycles of this, it creates a type of pumping action that helps flush the area and draw in fresh blood to promote healing and draw out the toxins that build up from swelling. This also really helps me cope and it may work for you as well. Can't hurt to try right.

Link to the Medrol info:

https://healthy.kaiserpermanente.org...vZ0FBIS9nQSEh/

Link to the type of Ice packs I use (Need at least three in freezer to support the three cycles):

https://www.amazon.com/ACE-Reusable-...ce%2Bpack&th=1

These work great and can be put directly against the skin. No towel in-between necessary.
chucky7, mthomas47, Reddig and 2 others like this.

AdamG, ...out!
take from somebody else.
post #5442 of 12682 Old 08-06-2017, 08:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:

looks like a TENS unit
Reddig likes this.
post #5443 of 12682 Old 08-06-2017, 08:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

+1^

Thanks Adamg, i myself have ankylousing spondylitis (sorry about spelling) and cannot move right now. Got off the opiates years ago, but could sure use some right now. I will do the ice and heat all day today and look into steriod pack. Lol this thread sure is a helpful one in many ways
chucky7, mthomas47, Reddig and 1 others like this.
post #5444 of 12682 Old 08-06-2017, 09:18 AM

Mentioned: 230 Post(s)
Quoted: 5269 Post(s)
Liked: 4794
^^ Yep, the worst flares are helped by short course of Medrol, Prednisone, or Toridol.
chucky7 and indebtbassfreak like this.
post #5445 of 12682 Old 08-06-2017, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulls View Post
looks like a TENS unit
Be careful with TENs like units and treatment. TENs units are designed to work the Muscle to reduce spasm and relax the muscle tissue. If you have Nerve involvement, like its seems many here do, a TENs unit can exacerbate the Nerve pain. I have a TENs unit and if I am just having muscle spasm and tightness it works wonders. But if I have associated excited and pissed off Nerves involved. Using a TENS unit then is equal to being placed in a "Pain Amplifier". Rule of thumb, if the pain is localized in one area, a tens may help. Conversely, if the pain is radiating, moving or covering multiple zones of your body. A tens unit may hurt more than help.

Again, I hope I am not preaching to the Choir here. Just trying to heal my Friends better cope with the things life throws our way. Every word is from direct personal experience. No Wikipedia Animals were hurt, injured and employed in the above advice column.

Ice, Ice baby! Warning about Deep Ice therapy. When the area goes numb, life is good and the pain is muted to a great degree. You will be tempted to leave the Ice Pack on longer. This can be dangerous for several reasons. The first is you can cause Frost Bite skin damage, secondly you can actually cause damage and hypersensitivity to the involved Nerve groups. So you MUST use a Timer and you MUST adhere to the 20 minuet time hack. Also don't leave the heat on any longer and ALWAYS, ALWAYS, finish with ICE.
chucky7 likes this.

AdamG, ...out!
take from somebody else.
post #5446 of 12682 Old 08-06-2017, 11:25 AM

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 4434 Post(s)
Liked: 5761
Boy, you guys are making me count my blessings where my back is concerned. I have had periodic low back pain for many years but can always heal myself by concentrating on sitting up very straight and making sure that I maintain the normal inward curve of my lumbar spine. That's sometimes easier said than done but always seems to to the job for me. At my age, I don't have anything to complain about.

My inexpensive Olympus Has Fallen BD arrived and I watched it earlier. The audio is excellent and some of the LFE is better than that. The story is dumber than rocks but the film's production values elevated it for me. It was something of a guilty pleasure, I gave it 7 Stars our of 10.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB and Terra Server 24 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player; Mac Mini HTPC. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+
post #5447 of 12682 Old 08-06-2017, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucky7 View Post
Curves

Could you please do the following:

1. Where: Cap 118HT @ 1ft to the left of the center of the MLP and 2.5 feet back.
What: run the auto calibration
Setting: Gain @ 10 o'clock, LF Adjust @ 1/2, Crossover @ 120 Hz/Out, Delay @ 0 ms, RCA input @ left and input switch @ RCA.

Do not add trim or adjust anything.

Then do a FR with REW.

2. Where: Cap 118HT @ the front of the room.
What: run the auto calibration
Setting: Gain @ 11 o'clock, LF Adjust @ 1/2, Crossover @ 120 Hz/Out, Delay @ 0 ms, RCA input @ left and input switch @ RCA.

Do not add trim or adjust anything.

Then do a FR with REW.

Capture the FR and report back.

I would like to see the comparison.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-su...l#post52359193
Attached are the FR from REW for the Front of the room and the Back.
Gain 3 means Gain at min + 3 clicks higher.
LF 6 means LF Adjust at min + 6 clicks higher.
You can see my room is better with LF Adjust at Max.
I also tried higher Gain, the FR is the same just higher DB throughout the range.

Now that I am running +11db hot, I quite like the the Front location because now I get port wind
But I still prefer the Back despite the worse FR below 30Hz because of the TR.

I could add a second sub in the Front to have the best of both worlds
But then each sub would only output 1/2 which means less Wind and TR to the seat back.
But two bigger subs would take care of it all. Where does this end LOL!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg back.JPG (70.2 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg Front.JPG (70.1 KB, 67 views)
post #5448 of 12682 Old 08-06-2017, 04:26 PM

It never ends. And thats the good news!
Reddig likes this.

AdamG, ...out!
take from somebody else.
post #5449 of 12682 Old 08-06-2017, 09:17 PM

We just finished watching the Rise of the Planet of the Apes. Just wow...at least a 9 out of 10 for me. I didn't realize this movie had so much Bass!! This was the first movie I have watched start to finish at -8 to -10 db. I set the sub at -1 DB hot and boy did that make a difference from the -3.5 to -5db the MCAAC set it at.

The scene where he first spoke was pretty cool and was shaking the whole room. The back round music in certain scenes had some heavy bass as well. There was a part near the city that caught my attention. It was when the Gorilla flinged the coin meter towards the police car. The base was very fast and responsive and heavy while it passed the screen. Really subtle but awesome and more impressed with this more I turn it on.

I will say that the ending scenes where they were on the Golden Gate Bridge was probably the showcase. So far the heaviest tactile feel from gun fire was from this movie. I think it was a 50 cal gun from the helicopter....man that was really a chest hitting feel and the strongest I have felt thus far even more so than the 50 cal shots from the Jeep in the hulk Edward norton version. A fun movie to watch with the JTR for sure.

By the way Andy Serkis is a hidden gem in this movie. He did golem in LOrd of the rings and I didn't know he played Caesar in this movie. The deleted scenes show how he was incorporated in the movie. Talented fellow.

My kids and wife could not take their eyes of the movie the whole time. Wife impressions were already what I have been getting from my whole audio setup and now with the cap 118. She said the sound was just more crisp and louder than the movie theatres and a lot more enjoyable to watch. Smooth was another word described with this sub. Cheers! 🍻

post #5450 of 12682 Old 08-06-2017, 09:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked: 983
Quote:

Thanks Marc. Im a bit familiar with your condition but I need to study it a bit more. A friend of my dad suffers from it and he says its def no picnic. Sorry to hear that. Chronic pain is terrible yes. And it affects others around us as well cause loved ones care for us and theres times where theres nothing no one can do to help other then bring you stuff you etc.

Interesting about Quell. I havnt seen the commercial. Weird you can get it at BB lol.

Quote:
It is available on Amazon... The reviews are not that great... Seems to work but not durable...
Cool thanks chucky.

Quote:
Hi Red,

Lets just say I can relate to what you are going through. Life can suck, but it beats the alternatives, right?

Maybe you already know this, I don't know, and I don't want to come off telling you something you already know. So here it goes. When I have major flare ups, much like you just described. I grab a Medoral Dosepack (Methylprednisolone - Oral). Its a steroid pack you take for a week in decreasing dosages. It really helps! What is does is help reduce the swelling in tissue(s) that are pressing on your nerves causing the increased levels of pain. If you have never tried it, give your Doc a call and ask it you can get a scrip for it and try. It does wonders for me when I have major episodes. Good luck and I hope and pray you get better and find relief soon.

Nerve pain like the kind you have is the worst possible type of pain a human can endure. Another home treatment I use is Ice/Heat therapy. You use an Ice pack on the effected area (in this case your lower back). The ice must stay in place for 20 mins. Its called deep Ice Therapy. At first it will feel cold, then it will begin to burn, then the area will go numb. You must achieve the numb stage for it to work. I use a 20 min timer. After the Ice pack, use a heating pad for the same time interval. Repeat the cycle three full times. Ending with Ice. What this does is cause the tissue to shrink (from the Ice), and then swell (from the heat). But as you accomplish uninterrupted cycles of this, it creates a type of pumping action that helps flush the area and draw in fresh blood to promote healing and draw out the toxins that build up from swelling. This also really helps me cope and it may work for you as well. Can't hurt to try right.

Link to the Medrol info:

https://healthy.kaiserpermanente.org...vZ0FBIS9nQSEh/

Link to the type of Ice packs I use (Need at least three in freezer to support the three cycles):

https://www.amazon.com/ACE-Reusable-...ce%2Bpack&th=1

These work great and can be put directly against the skin. No towel in-between necessary.
Yes indeed. One thing I learned through and continue to learn is that life is perspective. I think there is a saying that goes something like "To exist is to suffer". We all have problems we must endure on a daily basis; be it pain, or stress, or a ****ty boss, or a financial troubles. Before my accident I had alot of hate in me; i got it from my dad. I just was annoyed by the injustices of the world. I was a party animal too. After my accident and 9 surgeries Im up and walking and the feeling I just to be able to get up and walk around and drive to the grocery store is something I will never take for granted. My perspective on life changed. I became more humble and less erogant. I feel much more sympathy for anyone in a tough situation. I hate to say it but it in the same breath I enjoy saying this; Id go through the hell again just to once again gain the perspective. My accident made me meet my wife and she helped me through my last surgery and loaded my wheelchair for me. And if that doesn't test a relationship nothing will. She now has a successful job and we are happier and in love more then ever. Today was our 6th wedding ann. actually Been together 12 years total. Funny how bad news can be good news in disguise. Oh and it led me to home theater as well. I was a car audio nut and live sound dude before and being laid up led me to in home audio and the rest is history.

Thank you yes I was taught deep ice therapy early on in my treatment and it does help a bunch. I really appreciate your advice. I really do. I learned to use a timer the hardway lol. Few years back I started icing and nodded off and woke up about an hour later to frost bite. I use a timer now if Im at all sleepy which my opiates can cause. I do similar where I will ice for 20-30 min; like you say you gotta reach that numb point. Then Ill take a hot bath and soak for 20, then end with the ice. My wife pours in bath salts and other stuff and it seems to help but not sure if its just the nice smell.

I have not heard of the Medoral. Ill check them out. Oh as of the last few months my doc noticed my Testosterone was low so I first tried the Androgel with no results then she gave me straight injections every two weeks and I feel like a teenager! It has helped my overall body pain except it makes me more active which in turn hurts my body lol. Its worth it to me cause its put me in a better mood and the wifes not complaining

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulls View Post
looks like a TENS unit

Cool thanks man.

JBL Pro Cinema/JTR/JVC/Denon/Oppo/Roku Ultra/Elite Screens/Furman/Seatcraft/Acoustimac/AudioQuest

Last edited by Reddig; 08-06-2017 at 09:59 PM.
post #5451 of 12682 Old 08-06-2017, 10:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Charles View Post
Play x men first class on BR at 28:15 and let me know what happens

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
http://data-bass.ipbhost.com/index.p...nt&comment=311

X-men: First Class

Level - 3 Stars (109.41dB composite)
Extension - 5 Stars (1Hz)
Dynamics - 4 Stars (25.06dB)
Execution - 5 Stars - Save for a sonic boom that was way too boomy, this film is packed with more ULF goodness than nearly any here.

Overall - 4.25 Stars

Recommendation - Buy. This film is terrific. The fact that it is a ULF-happy film is just bonus.

This one is great! Other than that the volume is on the low side, (which is easily correctable, just turn it up!) it is a top notch bass flick! January Jones is smoking hot in the movie!

There were a lot of port wind @ 00:28:15 and if you listen at your normal MV, there should be no chuffing!

Olympus Has Fallen Washington Monument scene is like that, except the movie is louder and even more wind for longer duration.

Speakers: L/C/R: JTR Neosis 212HT. Surrounds: Jamo C103, KEF Q100, Polk Audio RTiA3.

Last edited by chucky7; 08-07-2017 at 10:47 AM.
post #5452 of 12682 Old 08-06-2017, 11:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
We just finished watching the Rise of the Planet of the Apes. Just wow...at least a 9 out of 10 for me. I didn't realize this movie had so much Bass!! This was the first movie I have watched start to finish at -8 to -10 db. I set the sub at -1 DB hot and boy did that make a difference from the -3.5 to -5db the MCAAC set it at.

The scene where he first spoke was pretty cool and was shaking the whole room. The back round music in certain scenes had some heavy bass as well. There was a part near the city that caught my attention. It was when the Gorilla flinged the coin meter towards the police car. The base was very fast and responsive and heavy while it passed the screen. Really subtle but awesome and more impressed with this more I turn it on.

I will say that the ending scenes where they were on the Golden Gate Bridge was probably the showcase. So far the heaviest tactile feel from gun fire was from this movie. I think it was a 50 cal gun from the helicopter....man that was really a chest hitting feel and the strongest I have felt thus far even more so than the 50 cal shots from the Jeep in the hulk Edward norton version. A fun movie to watch with the JTR for sure.

By the way Andy Serkis is a hidden gem in this movie. He did golem in LOrd of the rings and I didn't know he played Caesar in this movie. The deleted scenes show how he was incorporated in the movie. Talented fellow.

My kids and wife could not take their eyes of the movie the whole time. Wife impressions were already what I have been getting from my whole audio setup and now with the cap 118. She said the sound was just more crisp and louder than the movie theatres and a lot more enjoyable to watch. Smooth was another word described with this sub. Cheers! 🍻
Another job well done by the JTR subs!

From data-bass:

Rise of the Planet of the Apes (5.1 DTS-HD MA)

Level - 3 Stars (108.88dB composite)
Extension - 5 Stars (1Hz)
Dynamics - 5 Stars (28.33dB)
Execution - 4 Stars (by poll)

Overall - 4.25 Stars

Same deal: Just turn it up and you have a demo worthy bass flick!

post #5453 of 12682 Old 08-06-2017, 11:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curves View Post
Attached are the FR from REW for the Front of the room and the Back.
Gain 3 means Gain at min + 3 clicks higher.
LF 6 means LF Adjust at min + 6 clicks higher.
You can see my room is better with LF Adjust at Max.
I also tried higher Gain, the FR is the same just higher DB throughout the range.

Now that I am running +11db hot, I quite like the the Front location because now I get port wind
But I still prefer the Back despite the worse FR below 30Hz because of the TR.

I could add a second sub in the Front to have the best of both worlds
But then each sub would only output 1/2 which means less Wind and TR to the seat back.
But two bigger subs would take care of it all. Where does this end LOL!
Well, I did recommend getting the Cap 1400 right? Not that I don't like the Cap 118HT, but for $400 more, I don't have to worry about the what ifs...

Here is the part I don't understand. It appears that the front location is 5 dB louder than the rear location but the TR is still better with the sub behind you?

From your graphs, the front location definitely gives you better FR, output and extension. You are getting 13~96 Hz +/-7 dB with just 1 Cap 118HT. That is excellent! Your FR is better than mine!

My FR:

By default, the LFE should be 10 dB hotter than the other 5/7 channels so your +11dB hot is nothing to worry about. For example, I calibrated with LF Adjust @ 12 o'clock and after calibration I turned it up to the max. This means I am at least +16dB hot!

I think all you have to do is just turn up the sub trim maybe 3 to 5dB. You should get the wind and the TR you are looking for.
Curves likes this.

Last edited by chucky7; 08-06-2017 at 11:46 PM.
post #5454 of 12682 Old 08-07-2017, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Well, I did recommend getting the Cap 1400 right? Not that I don't like the Cap 118HT, but for $400 more, I don't have to worry about the what ifs...

Here is the part I don't understand. It appears that the front location is 5 dB louder than the rear location but the TR is still better with the sub behind you?

From your graphs, the front location definitely gives you better FR, output and extension. You are getting 13~96 Hz +/-7 dB with just 1 Cap 118HT. That is excellent! Your FR is better than mine!

By default, the LFE should be 10 dB hotter than the other 5/7 channels so your +11dB hot is nothing to worry about. For example, I calibrated with LF Adjust @ 12 o'clock and after calibration I turned it up to the max. This means I am at least +16dB hot!

I think all you have to do is just turn up the sub trim maybe 3 to 5dB. You should get the wind and the TR you are looking for.
Yeah I remember you recommending the Cap 1400 but I was concerned about the extra weight since I have never had this big a sub before. But now I know, it does not matter that much because you just slide it around anyway. Oh well, at least I know that if I had a 2400 Tall, I won't be concerned about moving it around. Not that I have been thinking about a 2400 or anything like that

I am calibrating using REW Pink Noise. Speakers use "Speaker Calibration" and -30dbFS. This measures 75db. Sub use "Custom 50 100". This measures 86db. I interpret this as +11dB hot.
Chucky, if you measure like this, you would be +16dB hot?
I will have to try +16dB hot in the front. Of course TR and Wind will increase. The house will also shake. I probably won't be able to handle Interstellar at that level.

The sub at the back gives you the TR hitting you in the back. My favorite scene for that is Terminator Genesis Chapter 16 1:47:40 where John Connor Machine lands body blows to Arnold. You feel every punch in your body! I can see why people put MBM's behind their seat.

It's funny how ones +dB hot increases once they get their first real sub. You are in awe of it initially, ears get used to the levels then you want more and try hotter. Then hotter becomes bigger and/or multiple
post #5455 of 12682 Old 08-07-2017, 11:03 AM

Quote:
It's funny how ones +dB hot increases once they get their first real sub. You are in awe of it initially, ears get used to the levels then you want more and try hotter. Then hotter becomes bigger and/or multiple
Hi Curves,

Agree with your observation. It may be a combination of we start out timid, then lean in by upping the gains as we become more accustomed to the bass power of these JTR Subs. What I realized in my case was at first I was very timid and ultra conservative setting the gains. My mental comparison of MAX SPL was from dual pb13 Ultras. The JTR were so much more capable than my previous Subs. However my mind got in the way, and set limits of loudness based on my old subs! It took me many months to allow the JTR's to really perform up to their capabilities. "Gain Creep" is a term that comes to mind. I remain absolutely certain that I have yet to reach the limiters and have gobs of reserve to boot. This combination results in incredibly loud and tactile energy output with little to zero distortion. This is exactly why we can listen to these JTR subs at such higher levels and still sound great. Low distortion output makes the sound so much less fatiguing on our ears.

I must admit there were a few times I thought the Subs were going to explode into flying shrapnel of bits of wood, speaker material, and metal basket fragments. The JTR's just kept on cranking and asking for more Juice Please! Jeff builds some Industrial grade Subs. They seem to never reach any type of limit and continue on a daily basis make me smile from ear to ear. I have literally run out of adjectives and adverbs, worthy of being included in the same sentence as these three letters "JTR".
chucky7 and indebtbassfreak like this.

AdamG, ...out!
take from somebody else.
post #5456 of 12682 Old 08-07-2017, 12:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yeah I remember you recommending the Cap 1400 but I was concerned about the extra weight since I have never had this big a sub before. But now I know, it does not matter that much because you just slide it around anyway. Oh well, at least I know that if I had a 2400 Tall, I won't be concerned about moving it around. Not that I have been thinking about a 2400 or anything like that [IMG]file:///C:\Users\Charlie\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtml1\01\cl ip_image001.gif[/IMG]
Putting furniture sliders under the sub helps tremendously, whether it's protecting the bottom or help moving it around. The only time the Cap 1400's weight is a concern is whenever I have to load it to or unload it from my car. When push comes to shove, I can get my 107 lb wife to give me a hand.

Quote:
I am calibrating using REW Pink Noise. Speakers use "Speaker Calibration" and -30dbFS. This measures 75db. Sub use "Custom 50 100". This measures 86db. I interpret this as +11dB hot.
I will have to try +16dB hot in the front. Of course TR and Wind will increase. The house will also shake. I probably won't be able to handle Interstellar at that level.
What you did is the most accurate way to ensure the loudness of the system. I just used the MCACC in my Pioneer to calibrate with LF Adjust @ 12 o'clock. I double checked with spl meter in REW and the sub is indeed 10dB hotter than the other speakers. Then I turned LF Adjust to Max, which I know adds 6db at the bottom end... This is how I arrive at 16dB hot.

Quote:
It's funny how ones +dB hot increases once they get their first real sub. You are in awe of it initially, ears get used to the levels then you want more and try hotter. Then hotter becomes bigger and/or multiple [IMG]file:///C:\Users\Charlie\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtml1\01\cl ip_image002.gif[/IMG]
I think I just kept on turning it up until my neighbor complains every time I watch a movie... Before I also added 3db trim to the sub level too, but not anymore. Of course my next door neighbor won't be completely satisfied until I don't watch movies anymore.
Adamg (Ret-Navy) and Curves like this.

post #5457 of 12682 Old 08-07-2017, 12:19 PM
AVS ***** Member

Mentioned: 324 Post(s)
Quoted: 5371 Post(s)
Liked: 10023
Quote:
Yeah I remember you recommending the Cap 1400 but I was concerned about the extra weight since I have never had this big a sub before. But now I know, it does not matter that much because you just slide it around anyway. Oh well, at least I know that if I had a 2400 Tall, I won't be concerned about moving it around. Not that I have been thinking about a 2400 or anything like that

The sub at the back gives you the TR hitting you in the back. My favorite scene for that is Terminator Genesis Chapter 16 1:47:40 where John Connor Machine lands body blows to Arnold. You feel every punch in your body! I can see why people put MBM's behind their seat.

Hi,

I have a couple of observations, I would like to add. First, as Chucky said, your subs are always calibrated 10db hotter than your regular channels, because at Reference (0.0 MV) the LFE channel needs to be able to hit peaks of 115db, where the regular channels only need to hit peaks of 105db. When you calibrate your system using an automated calibration system such as Audyssey or YPAO, your AVR will automatically set the subs 10db higher than the regular channels. But, how much more bass you may choose to have, particularly at below Reference listening levels, is purely a matter of personal preference. For instance, if you increase your sub volume by 3db post-calibration, you are running your sub 3db "hot".

Looking at your graphs and listening to your descriptions, I would recommend a second sub, but I would have one at the front of the room and one behind you. I believe that would give you the best of both worlds. Tactile response is not directly tied to either SPL or FR although there is a relationship. But, for instance, we may be able to feel much more TR from a nearfield sub than from one farther away, even if they are playing at the same relative volume at the MLP. That's because the tactile response we feel is only partly the product of SPL. Some of what we feel is transmitted through the floor and furniture, and some of it is direct particle velocity, which we feel more strongly at close range.

If you are seriously considering upgrading to a Cap 2400, I am certainly not going to discourage that. Starting with the most powerful sub you can afford is a great way to go. But, knowing that there are things that you like about both front and back sub placement, I would encourage you to go with duals to achieve both placements and probably a better FR to boot. And, you could still work your way up gradually--perhaps adding a Cap 1400 now for the front of the room with your 118HT as a rear nearfield sub. Then later, perhaps upgrading the 118HT to another Cap 1400, or even to a Cap 2400, and so on. We don't always know exactly how much subwoofage we want starting off, so upgrading is not uncommon.

It's always a difficult decision: one more powerful sub now, or lesser duals. But, although I lean toward having more powerful subs, I can tell you that hardly anyone who has tried duals is ever willing to go backwards to having a single powerful sub again. It isn't just about FR, or adding headroom, although those are important. It's also the sensation of bass and tactile envelopment that accompanies having the sound and feel coming from more than one physical location. Just something to think about.

Regards,
Mike

GUIDE TO SUBWOOFER CALIBRATION AND BASS PREFERENCES

* The Guide linked above is a comprehensive guide to Audio & HT systems, including:
Speaker placements & Room treatments; HT calibration & Room EQ; Room gain; Bass
Preferences; Subwoofer Buyer's Guide: Sealed/ported; ID subs; Subwoofer placement.
post #5458 of 12682 Old 08-07-2017, 12:35 PM

^^^^Excellent Post and advice Mike! Duals are absolutely the way to go and once you hear/feel what duals can do, you never shop for just One Sub again.
mthomas47 and Reddig like this.

AdamG, ...out!
take from somebody else.
post #5459 of 12682 Old 08-07-2017, 12:41 PM

Thanks Mike for your response. As usual great words of wisdom and I always enjoy reading your posts.
mthomas47 likes this.
post #5460 of 12682 Old 08-07-2017, 01:15 PM
AVS ***** Member

Mentioned: 324 Post(s)
Quoted: 5371 Post(s)
Liked: 10023
Quote:
Thanks Mike for your response. As usual great words of wisdom and I always enjoy reading your posts.
Thank you very much, although I don't know about the wisdom part!

GUIDE TO SUBWOOFER CALIBRATION AND BASS PREFERENCES

* The Guide linked above is a comprehensive guide to Audio & HT systems, including:
Speaker placements & Room treatments; HT calibration & Room EQ; Room gain; Bass
Preferences; Subwoofer Buyer's Guide: Sealed/ported; ID subs; Subwoofer placement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page