Official JTR Speakers Subwoofer Thread - Page 185 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 17292Likes

post #5521 of 12682 Old 08-10-2017, 01:23 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 230 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5269 Post(s)
Liked: 4794
Thanks for 3:10 to Yuma!

I haven't redeemed yet because I'm not sure if this is UHD or HD. I'll wait until Adam comes back online to confirm.

For UHD titles Lionsgate recommends waiting until Vudu adds the title in UHD before redeeming UV, otherwise you will only get HD streaming rights.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5522 of 12682 Old 08-10-2017, 02:02 PM

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 4434 Post(s)
Liked: 5761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Alexander View Post
Thanks for 3:10 to Yuma!

I haven't redeemed yet because I'm not sure if this is UHD or HD. I'll wait until Adam comes back online to confirm.

For UHD titles Lionsgate recommends waiting until Vudu adds the title in UHD before redeeming UV, otherwise you will only get HD streaming rights.
I understand that if your UHD HDR code redeems as 1080P on Vudu but Vudu later adds the UHD HDR version, they will upgrade it for you. The problem appears to be, though, that getting this done can be a hassle. Note, that this is just what I have heard. Any UHD HDR rights I have, I got by buying the disk or the equivalent file from the Kaleidescape Store. Thus, I don't much worry about what my UHD HDR digital rights are. I do redemptions mostly so other members of my family can watch my movies on Vudu and they care nothing about UHD HDR.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB and Terra Server 24 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player; Mac Mini HTPC. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+
post #5523 of 12682 Old 08-10-2017, 02:36 PM
The Ultimate chest punch!

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked: 1806
Marc,. It's UHD
Marc Alexander likes this.

AdamG, ...out!
The government cannot give to anybody,
anything that the government does not first,
take from somebody else.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5524 of 12682 Old 08-10-2017, 06:56 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Hey Adamg?

What is the total amperage capacity of the circuit breaker you have both your dragons (2400ULFs) operating on and do you have anything else operating on that same breaker?

I know this is an odd question, but I have been sending e-mails back and forth with SubMaster Jeff P about purchasing two dragons for myself (I finally have the money!) however, my house is rather old and I believe all of the outlets in my living room are operating on a single 20-amp breaker…

I’ve never tripped the breaker but Jeff says each dragon operates at an average of 10 amps and did not recommend putting both dragons on the same 20 amp breaker along with anything else, which royally screws up my bass dream!!!

The only solution I could think of is I could have an electrician do some re-wiring, add an additional sub-breaker box, or upgrade my current breaker box, but I’m not sure I want to spend potentially thousands of dollars more in electrical upgrades just to accommodate a pair of home theater subwoofers…which may sound like blasphemy to some of you on this thread haha! I promise I want this to work!!!

I could always just rock one dragon instead of two but then I’m sure I would just constantly obsess over not having two…First World problems!

Thank you kindly for your response (and anyone else’s)!

• Blake
post #5525 of 12682 Old 08-10-2017, 07:31 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 169
So I've had my 228HT's, S8's and one of my two S1's set up now for about a week now, and prior to running Anthems Room Correction (ARC) software the sound has harsh to my ears (at -15dB it was too loud to listen too). My 228HT's have been sitting in there box for well over a year which may have also contributed to this. ARC dramatically improved the sound and its seems as the speakers are being broken in the sound continues to settle down and sound better and better. Has anyone else heard this effect before, it really has been quite a dramatic change??

Watched Midnight Special last night with a mate. Its been a long time since ive seen a grown man jump that high (his arms went up to protect his face on one occassion ). The way the bass is used in this movie is quite amazing. Kong Skull Island tonight.
chucky7 likes this.
post #5526 of 12682 Old 08-10-2017, 07:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked: 713
Quote:
Originally Posted by solomobl View Post
Hey Adamg?

What is the total amperage capacity of the circuit breaker you have both your dragons (2400ULFs) operating on and do you have anything else operating on that same breaker?

I know this is an odd question, but I have been sending e-mails back and forth with SubMaster Jeff P about purchasing two dragons for myself (I finally have the money!) however, my house is rather old and I believe all of the outlets in my living room are operating on a single 20-amp breaker…

I’ve never tripped the breaker but Jeff says each dragon operates at an average of 10 amps and did not recommend putting both dragons on the same 20 amp breaker along with anything else, which royally screws up my bass dream!!!

The only solution I could think of is I could have an electrician do some re-wiring, add an additional sub-breaker box, or upgrade my current breaker box, but I’m not sure I want to spend potentially thousands of dollars more in electrical upgrades just to accommodate a pair of home theater subwoofers…which may sound like blasphemy to some of you on this thread haha! I promise I want this to work!!!

I could always just rock one dragon instead of two but then I’m sure I would just constantly obsess over not having two…First World problems!

• Blake
You are going to have to be pushing them pretty hard to trip the breaker. I have seen many people run 2 of the Speaker Power 2400 or 4000 watt amps off of 1 20amp circuit and not have issues.

I know it has been covered before in this thread and others also about how your circuit breaker can take more than a 20amp draw for short bursts that most movies of music would draw from a subwoofer amp.

Edit found a post from the maker of the amp in another JTR thread https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-su...l#post50346289

"All I can add is that for home theater operation, many people are running two SP1-4000-HT from a single 20A branch circuit with no problem. Better to not put anything else on that circuit though. Remember that for short periods of time, a 20A breaker can pass many times the 20A rating, typically 10 times the current for 1 second! That's a lot of boom. "

HTPC, Sony 40es, 120" Silver Ticket, 7702mkii, Sunfire Amp 225w, JBL 590, JBL 520

PSA XS30, Seaton Submersive, 2 Um-18 8cf sealed, Outlaw Ultra x 12, Kappa Pro 18LF, BFM Tuba 60 horn, B&C 18TBW100 6cf 41hz, 34hz, 28hz tune

iNuke 3000 & 6000 DSP's, Crowson Motion Actuator

Last edited by bscool; 08-10-2017 at 07:56 PM.
post #5527 of 12682 Old 08-10-2017, 08:25 PM
Writer & Reviewer

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 2155 Post(s)
Liked: 3234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott27 View Post
So I've had my 228HT's, S8's and one of my two S1's set up now for about a week now, and prior to running Anthems Room Correction (ARC) software the sound has harsh to my ears (at -15dB it was too loud to listen too). My 228HT's have been sitting in there box for well over a year which may have also contributed to this. ARC dramatically improved the sound and its seems as the speakers are being broken in the sound continues to settle down and sound better and better. Has anyone else heard this effect before, it really has been quite a dramatic change??
More than likely it's your ears becoming accustomed to high efficiency speakers. They tend to eschew the 'warm' sound that conventional speakers have, and for some that initially comes across as a bit strident. Most people acclimate themselves to the lighter, less veiled presentation though. In the end, however, it's all personal preference. It's quite possible you'll end up enjoying the additional clarity, but only time will tell.
gwsat likes this.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite...
post #5528 of 12682 Old 08-10-2017, 08:48 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post
More than likely it's your ears becoming accustomed to high efficiency speakers. They tend to eschew the 'warm' sound that conventional speakers have, and for some that initially comes across as a bit strident. Most people acclimate themselves to the lighter, less veiled presentation though. In the end, however, it's all personal preference. It's quite possible you'll end up enjoying the additional clarity, but only time will tell.
You may well be right, and I think im rapidly being converted! Now, i need to get back to practising my soldering so i can get these xlr plugs connected up!! Its looks so much easier on Youtube!
post #5529 of 12682 Old 08-10-2017, 10:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
That was written by the great @JimWilson (I am a big fan)! I'm a wanna-be Jman, a shade-tree Josh Ricci. 🤡
Spoiler!
Since, you are selling your other subs Marc, have you decided on what is going to replace them? I was following for a while but then lost the track. I still cannot decide what sub(s) to get for my needs now AND future.
post #5530 of 12682 Old 08-10-2017, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olegg View Post
Since, you are selling your other subs Marc, have you decided on what is going to replace them? I was following for a while but then lost the track. I still cannot decide what sub(s) to get for my needs now AND future.
Upstairs media room: Seaton F18+ (4), & Funk custom 18.0C equiv. (2)

Downstairs den: JTR Cap 2400 ULF-T (if all goes according to plan)

I took a huge detour from my plan and got a deal (IMO) on a new 77" LG G6 OLED. Hopefully I can sell my 65 E6 locally and quickly.
post #5531 of 12682 Old 08-10-2017, 11:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by olegg View Post

I took a huge detour from my plan and got a deal (IMO) on a new 77" LG G6 OLED. Hopefully I can sell my 65 E6 locally and quickly.
Hey Marc, sounds like you got quite a bit of new gear since the last gtg. Are you having another one soon? I would love to hear the the upstairs theater and the Funks.
post #5532 of 12682 Old 08-11-2017, 12:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 290 Post(s)
Quoted: 3403 Post(s)
Liked: 4161
Quote:

OMG... You are on a roll here...

Where is your self control???

And didn't you tell me that you are more of an audio guy than a video guy?

Speakers: L/C/R: JTR Neosis 212HT. Surrounds: Jamo C103, KEF Q100, Polk Audio RTiA3.
Subwoofer: JTR Captivator 4000ULF.
AVR: Denon AVR-X4400H. TV: Samsung UN75NU8000FXZA.

FS: Jamo C103, KEF Q100 and Polk RTiA3

Last edited by chucky7; 08-11-2017 at 10:58 AM.
post #5533 of 12682 Old 08-11-2017, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solomobl View Post
Hey Adamg?

• Blake
Hi solomobl,

Good questions. In my Set up I have two 15 amp circuits. One Dragon on each. One Amp on each (XPA-5, and Denon 7200wa) Plus a bunch pf other gear spread about. Sony 75 TV, PS4 Pro, Nvidia Shield, Cable Box, Oppo 203 UDP, WD Hard drive Server, Roku Ultra, Wifi Router, Harmoney remote hub, Several Lights, Hue Light Hub, Insteon Hub, several PC style fans, Chargers, Table Lamps.

Back when I set everything up I did the Watt math and divided up the loads as evenly as possible. I will say this. Going in I did expect to have to have to add a dedicated electrical circuit. But so far I have never, not once, had a breaker trip!

Does that mean your going to be good? No. My home is brand new. Or was when I moved in. So all the electrical circuits and associate wiring are new. You sound like you have an old house. Which may present some different problems. I obviously cant say you will be good or predict you won't be good.

But I can say that the way the JTR amps work is amazing. I can go into more detail, but it gets complicated. Do some reading on how home circuits breakers work. Using capacitors and short drawl high demand voltage. 20 or 15 Amps is just a rating. Most breakers and the associated wiring can push much higher Amp numbers for short periods of time. You might want to have an Electrician come give you a quote. In some instances no added wiring may be needed. A Breaker in the breaker box can just be upgraded if you have sufficient capacity built in. It may be cheaper that you think.

Then again, you may not need an upgrade at all and everything will run fine on what you have. It does sound tight, but who knows. Sorry if I could not be more help here.

AdamG, ...out!
take from somebody else.
post #5534 of 12682 Old 08-11-2017, 08:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 1264 Post(s)
Liked: 4954
I was introduced to these JTR speakers, namely the subs, by @Scott Simonian and I just wanted to ask...

Is there a good prefab for their 18" subs I could buy other than making it myself? Any recommendations on a large 18" box with a low tuned port?

I ask because though I was gun-ho about this type of DIY stuff in my youth when tools where easily accessible, it is not at this point in my life and I'd much rather buy certain things rather than doing it myself, PC building aside.

Subwoofers: PSA S3000i x 2 | L+R Front: Onkyo SKF-200F | Center: Onkyo SKC-200C | L+R Surround: Onkyo SKM-200S | Atmos: Pioneer SP-T22A-LR | AVR: Yamaha RX-A660BL | HTPC: Lenovo Q190
post #5535 of 12682 Old 08-11-2017, 09:26 AM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 200 Post(s)
Quoted: 5985 Post(s)
Liked: 5114
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFist View Post

Is there a good prefab for their 18" subs I could buy other than making it myself? Any recommendations on a large 18" box with a low tuned port?

http://www.diysoundgroup.com/ported-...tonehenge.html

That's about as close as you can get without going full DIY.
SuperFist likes this.
post #5536 of 12682 Old 08-11-2017, 09:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFist View Post
I don't think JTR offers anything for DIY... Well, Rythmik is the only ID sub company that offers drivers/amps for DIY.

Speakers: L/C/R: JTR Neosis 212HT. Surrounds: Jamo C103, KEF Q100, Polk Audio RTiA3.

post #5537 of 12682 Old 08-11-2017, 10:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 2492 Post(s)
Liked: 3887
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucky7 View Post
Well, outside of real wood veneers, my favorite stock finish is Hsu Research's matte black finish.
I would have to agree, although the finish is satin, and not matte. I'm quite impressed how nice the finish is on my $159 Hsu speakers.
post #5538 of 12682 Old 08-11-2017, 11:02 AM

Quote:
I don't think JTR offers anything for DIY... Well, Rythmik is the only ID sub company that offers drivers/amps for DIY.
They are moving away from this as well.
post #5539 of 12682 Old 08-11-2017, 11:27 AM

Quote:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2911356
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcjago View Post
Hey Marc, sounds like you got quite a bit of new gear since the last gtg. Are you having another one soon? I would love to hear the the upstairs theater and the Funks.
I should be receiving the Lyngdorf MP-50 next week along with the 77 G6!

I will definitely be hosting another GTG. It would be in July SEPTEMBER. We could screen a movie. I can't wait to watch GotGv2 on the 77" in Atmos!

I'm working with Nathan Funk on a strange issue with one of the DO12s.
Spoiler!
Quote:
OMG... You are on a roll here...

Where is your self control???

And didn't you tell me that you are more of an audio guy than a video guy?
My self-control is MIA. I am about audio first. But, we love 3D. My wife wanted projection but we prefer the emissive displays so much more. I figured this would be my last chance to get an emissive, large 3DTV. We looked at the cheaper Sony 75Z9D but the 3D is active and we prefer passive.

Once I sell the 65" OLED, the PSA S3000I, and the two Seaton MFW-15 Turbos I will get the Cap 2400ULF-T.
chucky7 likes this.

Last edited by Marc Alexander; 08-11-2017 at 01:02 PM.
post #5540 of 12682 Old 08-11-2017, 11:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drh3b View Post
I know you live in California, but dig a basement! Solves all neighbor/AV problems. Nevermind that in particular bassy passages, and earthquakes it will all come down, it would be worth it just to make it through a whole movie! (?)
I have always wondered about that so I did some digging, no pun intended, and here is what I found... http://www.finehomebuilding.com/1998...-in-california

Quote:
The biggest reason why houses are built on basements in areas such as Colorado and the Northeast is to get the footings for the house below the frost line, which can be 3 ft. or 4 ft. down, depending on where you are. The logic is that if you’re digging that deep, why not put in a floor and use the space?

With no danger of frost in much of California, those footings need only be a few inches down. As for getting extra storage space, out here it’s generally cheaper to build at ground level and to use a little more land area, unless real-estate prices are extremely high where you want to build.

Many houses in California are built into hillsides and have the opportunity for at least a half-basement. But even if a basement is built, there are often no stairs connecting this space to the main part of the house, even if the space is usable. (Stairs are expensive and take up space, and most California housing has been built to maximize profit.)

You can, of course, include a basement in your floor plans. But if you have a flat site, I bet that nine out of ten contractors will try to talk you out of it. Most of them do not want the worry of waterproofing a basement.
warndry and drh3b like this.

Last edited by chucky7; 08-11-2017 at 11:56 AM.
post #5541 of 12682 Old 08-11-2017, 12:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I will definitely be hosting another GTG. It would be in July. We could screen a movie. I can't wait to watch GotGv2 on the 77" in Atmos!

My self-control is MIA. I am about audio first. But, we love 3D. My wife wanted projection but we prefer the emissive displays so much more. I figured this would be my last chance to get an emissive, large 3DTV. We looked at the cheaper Sony 75Z9D but the 3D is active and we prefer passive.

Once I sell the 65" OLED, the PSA S3000I, and the two Seaton MFW-15 Turbos I will get the Cap 2400ULF-T.
It's August already... Are you alright?

3D is about dead on TVs... I think it may come back in a glass free version... You can't beat the inch per dollar offered by projectors especially in a dedicated media room like yours... But then UHD projector is not mainstream yet.

Last edited by chucky7; 08-11-2017 at 12:38 PM.
post #5542 of 12682 Old 08-11-2017, 01:00 PM

Quote:
It's August already... Are you alright?

3D is about dead on TVs...
SEPTEMBER… I am so not ok! 🤢

3D on OLED is an amazing experience. 77 should be surreal! You are right that it is dead, but we are keeping it alive in my house. The only movie I have wanted in 3D that was not released in 3D (worldwide) so far has been Trolls. I read that the glitter fart in 3D theaters was amazing.
post #5543 of 12682 Old 08-11-2017, 01:40 PM

Quote:
I have always wondered about that so I did some digging, no pun intended, and here is what I found... http://www.finehomebuilding.com/1998...-in-california
Down here, Florida, we call Basements "In Ground Pools". Or very large Aquariums. Since the water table is about 1 foot down. Not much room for error here. We don't much like Stairs either for that much. Rare to see a multilevel house down here. They do exist for the folks with Kiddies and the ultra Rich just have to have those Mini Mansions.

The good part here is Sunny South Florida. Most of the Neighbors are deaf! Myself included

The last house I owned with a Basement, became a Nightmare to sell. Discovered "Radon" gas and then all hell broke lose. The Inspector who did the Radon testing, had a Brother who incidentally did Radon remediation work. Go figure. Cost me tens of thousands to fix what I eventually assumed never existed. My ass hurt for months
chucky7 and metropol951 like this.

AdamG, ...out!
take from somebody else.
post #5544 of 12682 Old 08-11-2017, 01:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 2540 Post(s)
Liked: 2186
Quote:
3D on OLED is an amazing experience.
+1 and I didn't buy my 65C6 for this feature. OLED is for real 😳
post #5545 of 12682 Old 08-11-2017, 02:03 PM

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 4434 Post(s)
Liked: 5761
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvuong View Post
+1 and I didn't buy my 65C6 for this feature. OLED is for real 😳
3D glasses have always been a deal breaker for me and remain so. If glasses free 3D is ever perfected I might take another look but as matters stand, I have no interest in 3D.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB and Terra Server 24 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player; Mac Mini HTPC. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+
post #5546 of 12682 Old 08-11-2017, 03:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1860 Post(s)
Liked: 3377
Quote:
Huh. I grew up in Orange County a long, long time ago, and I was told back then it was a combination of earthquakes and sandy earth which would make a normal basement unsafe. Learn something new every now and then.
chucky7 likes this.

Last edited by drh3b; 08-12-2017 at 02:02 PM.
post #5547 of 12682 Old 08-11-2017, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
3D glasses have always been a deal breaker for me and remain so. If glasses free 3D is ever perfected I might take another look but as matters stand, I have no interest in 3D.
Grey, do you wear sunglasses?

I can't do dim 3D (which is why I love OLED 3D). When we go to the movies we see in Cinemark XD or Dolby Vision theaters which are nice and bright.
post #5548 of 12682 Old 08-11-2017, 04:49 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked: 520
Quote:
Grey, do you wear sunglasses?

I can't do dim 3D (which is why I love OLED 3D). When we go to the movies we see in Cinemark XD or Dolby Vision theaters which are nice and bright.

3D on an OLED panel is nothing like you've ever experienced before. No flicker since glasses are passive and the picture is quite amazing. Even my wife, who hates 3D, loves the experience on the OLED panels. But a good authored UHD disk is almost 3D like in itself. Oh yeah, S1 will be here next week. Ended up doing the black oak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
chucky7 likes this.

Sony XBR-65A1E, XBR-55A1E, Marantz AV8805, AV7704
Naim SN2, Hi-Cap DR, ND5XS2, Naim Unity Core, Emotiva XPA-9, A-5175
Dynaudio Contour 30, Focus 210C, IC17, S4-W80, Emit 10, 2X JTR S1, SVS SB-2000
Panasonic UBD-820, Bluesound Node 2i, Ansuz Mainz C2 Power Distribution,X Power and speaker cables
post #5549 of 12682 Old 08-11-2017, 05:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
SEPTEMBER… I am so not ok! 🤢

3D on OLED is an amazing experience. 77 should be surreal! You are right that it is dead, but we are keeping it alive in my house. The only movie I have wanted in 3D that was not released in 3D (worldwide) so far has been Trolls. I read that the glitter fart in 3D theaters was amazing.
Yeah, I just checked. There is news/rumor that Troll in 3D on Blu Ray is planned in Mexico. The release date is TBA. Nothing for the rest of the world so far.

The way you are distracted ( spending $$$ on other stuff ) I will probably get my Cap 4000ULF before you get your 2400ULF...
Adamg (Ret-Navy) likes this.

Last edited by chucky7; 08-11-2017 at 05:04 PM.
post #5550 of 12682 Old 08-11-2017, 10:31 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by bscool View Post
You are going to have to be pushing them pretty hard to trip the breaker. I have seen many people run 2 of the Speaker Power 2400 or 4000 watt amps off of 1 20amp circuit and not have issues.

I know it has been covered before in this thread and others also about how your circuit breaker can take more than a 20amp draw for short bursts that most movies of music would draw from a subwoofer amp.

Edit found a post from the maker of the amp in another JTR thread https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-su...l#post50346289

"All I can add is that for home theater operation, many people are running two SP1-4000-HT from a single 20A branch circuit with no problem. Better to not put anything else on that circuit though. Remember that for short periods of time, a 20A breaker can pass many times the 20A rating, typically 10 times the current for 1 second! That's a lot of boom. "
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamg (Ret-Navy) View Post
Hi solomobl,

Good questions. In my Set up I have two 15 amp circuits. One Dragon on each. One Amp on each (XPA-5, and Denon 7200wa) Plus a bunch pf other gear spread about. Sony 75 TV, PS4 Pro, Nvidia Shield, Cable Box, Oppo 203 UDP, WD Hard drive Server, Roku Ultra, Wifi Router, Harmoney remote hub, Several Lights, Hue Light Hub, Insteon Hub, several PC style fans, Chargers, Table Lamps.

Back when I set everything up I did the Watt math and divided up the loads as evenly as possible. I will say this. Going in I did expect to have to have to add a dedicated electrical circuit. But so far I have never, not once, had a breaker trip!

Does that mean your going to be good? No. My home is brand new. Or was when I moved in. So all the electrical circuits and associate wiring are new. You sound like you have an old house. Which may present some different problems. I obviously cant say you will be good or predict you won't be good.

But I can say that the way the JTR amps work is amazing. I can go into more detail, but it gets complicated. Do some reading on how home circuits breakers work. Using capacitors and short drawl high demand voltage. 20 or 15 Amps is just a rating. Most breakers and the associated wiring can push much higher Amp numbers for short periods of time. You might want to have an Electrician come give you a quote. In some instances no added wiring may be needed. A Breaker in the breaker box can just be upgraded if you have sufficient capacity built in. It may be cheaper that you think.

Then again, you may not need an upgrade at all and everything will run fine on what you have. It does sound tight, but who knows. Sorry if I could not be more help here.

Thank bscool and Adamg (you WERE helpful)!!! Within reason I guess I won't worry about it too much then...

My house was built in 1945 (it's been essentially completely re-modeled and renovated in that time of course) and I have a 100-AMP capacity main house breaker box (as most do) as well as a small sub-breaker box in the utility room with additional circuits, and off the top of my head, I don't think I'm currently using the whole capacity of the main breaker box, the 20-AMP circuit I'm currently using in my living room area MAY be able to be upgraded to a 30-AMP circuit...I have absolutely no problem at least having an electrician come out and give me some advice. Although I'm afraid whatever they find they may just want to get money out of me and try to scare or fool me in to getting electric work done that I don't really need. Call me paranoid...but it's happened before...

As always, thanks for everyone's input!!!

- Blake
chucky7 and Adamg (Ret-Navy) like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page