Official JTR Speakers Subwoofer Thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 18465Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #31 of 13213 Old 12-18-2016, 06:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
indebtbassfreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Squamish BC
Posts: 2,603
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1417 Post(s)
Liked: 2713
Three months Hope you have decent mains while you go without. We both will be grinning soon enough, i cant wait.
indebtbassfreak is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 13213 Old 12-18-2016, 07:00 PM
Member
 
metropol951's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by indebtbassfreak View Post
Three months Hope you have decent mains while you go without. We both will be grinning soon enough, i cant wait.


I have some klipsch rf 7 ii's . Truthfully, I haven't been watching much. I've been working long hours. After Christmas things will slow down...
metropol951 is online now  
post #33 of 13213 Old 12-19-2016, 05:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
cannga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Palos Verdes - Lakers Land
Posts: 3,397
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1893 Post(s)
Liked: 1841
Older review of 118HT - which is being heavily discounted during this Pre-Order sale. AFAIK @Jeff Permanian please correct me as needed, the sale is for an updated version of the one Jim Wilson reviewed below. I don't know what the change is though.

And also, btw, clock is ticking, sale ends in 12/31/2016 http://jtrspeakers.com/home-audio/captivator-118ht/. I really don't know how JTR is making money on this one.


>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
118HT: http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...ht-review.html
Do you crave pervasive bass, constant output which is seemingly never more than a hairsbreadth below the surface of everything you listen to? If so, the JTR Captivator 118HT may not be the subwoofer for you because it doesn't play that game. The overall appearance could suggest unrefined or ostentatious to some, but that couldn't be any further from the truth. This subwoofer is designed for those who relish a more subdued approach, who appreciate a subtle and textured sound. It can be relaxed, almost calm even, but don't take that to mean weak because it has teeth and it's not afraid to show them at a moments notice; it can and will bite when provoked. Virtually unflappable, the Captivator 118HT never seemed phased by what I threw at it, all the while sneering in contempt as I tried in vain to trip it up. Placid, yet with a mean right hook when warranted, the JTR Captivator 118HT evinced itself to me as a subwoofer tour-de-force.

Last edited by cannga; 12-19-2016 at 10:20 AM.
cannga is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #34 of 13213 Old 12-19-2016, 11:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
cannga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Palos Verdes - Lakers Land
Posts: 3,397
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1893 Post(s)
Liked: 1841
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucky7 View Post
Also try the following:
Olympus Has Fallen - The Washington Monument scene - it's deep, loud, and the best of all, long~
The Incredible Hulk - The fight scenes.
Edge of Tomorrow - First 40 secs, this is good to find out what 30, 25, 20, 15, 10 Hz sounds/feels like in YOUR room.
Flight of the Phoenix - Sand storm scene.
Thank you. Is this your top 4 demo movies?
I should add Olympus Has Fallen, and Battle Los Angeles to my list .

Last edited by cannga; 12-20-2016 at 12:31 AM.
cannga is offline  
post #35 of 13213 Old 12-20-2016, 12:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
cannga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Palos Verdes - Lakers Land
Posts: 3,397
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1893 Post(s)
Liked: 1841
I found the info regarding upgrade to the latest 118 HT, as posted in 218HT thread by Jeff P. And of course, Cap 1400 has also been upgraded.

118HT V2 Upgrade
"We just finalized our new Captivator 118HT and 218HT driver with a custom proprietary cone to get the characteristics we wanted. We're measuring the Captivator 118HT at 100db/1watt/1m/half space with burst numbers are on par with the Captivator 1400 from 50hz and above while still producing 114db at 16hz (105db, 2m, rms). The new Captivators also received improved dsp and cabinet damping. The new drivers are due in by the end of January and Captivator 118HT/218HT will start shipping the beginning of February. Check out our website for details."

Captivator 1400 V2 Upgrade
"JTR just stepped it up a notch by introducing an all new Captivator 1400 with a higher excursion driver for increased low end output and reduced distortion, larger port for increase low end output, improved cabinet bracing and damping for improved sound quality and lower distortion. There is also a new dsp program for the "lf adjust" that when turned all the way down will simulate a sealed subwoofers lowend roll off. The new 2017 version produces over a 1db more output on the bottom end. As soon as the weather breaks this spring we'll have them at Data-Bass. We have already started shipping."
warndry likes this.

Last edited by cannga; 12-20-2016 at 08:54 PM.
cannga is offline  
post #36 of 13213 Old 12-20-2016, 12:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
chucky7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Posts: 4,626
Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3529 Post(s)
Liked: 4518
Quote:
Originally Posted by cannga View Post
Thank you. Is this your top 4 demo movies?
I should add Olympus Has Fallen, and Battle Los Angeles to my list .
I would say those are my top demo SCENES. People tend to want to watch the latest movies...

Speakers: L/C/R: JTR Noesis 212HT. Surrounds: Jamo C103, KEF Q100, Polk Audio RTiA3.
Subwoofer: JTR Captivator 4000ULF.
AVR: Denon AVR-X4400H. TV: Samsung UN75NU8000FXZA.

FS: Jamo C103, KEF Q100 and Polk RTiA3
chucky7 is offline  
post #37 of 13213 Old 12-20-2016, 02:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bambam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 1,016
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 158
How would the "new" Cap 1400 compare to the new SVS PB-16 Ultra? I had PB-13's in the past and love the ported sound.
bambam is online now  
post #38 of 13213 Old 12-20-2016, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
cannga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Palos Verdes - Lakers Land
Posts: 3,397
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1893 Post(s)
Liked: 1841
^^^*Subjectively*, as with all audio components there's no way to tell what something "sounds" like until you have subwoofer in the room. But, *objectively*, you could see how old Captivator 1400 V1 compares, and hopefully new Captivator 1400 V2 would improve on that. Assuming I am doing this comparison correctly (any expert please correct me as needed), below are CEA-2010 numbers from Audioholics review of PB 16 versus Data-Bass review of Captivator 1400. Note I have added Captivator numbers next to the PB 16's extended mode's numbers, but they could be compared against other modes as well.

The PB16 is a remarkable deep-bass monster, but... Captivator is an even *BADDER* powerhouse that's out-deep-bassing a deep-bass monster, for less money. Captivator matches PB16 between 16-31 hz, and then surpasses it in all other frequencies, both infrasonic (12.5 hz by +7 dB) and all other bass range (40 hz on, up to +9 dB higher). This measurement seems to explain why Audioholics commented that the PB 16 Ultra's mid bass dynamic range is not as powerful as its deep bass.

Data-Bass noted in the Captivator 1400 V1's review that its CEA-2010 short term distortion limited burst output measurements are among the highest output of ANY commercial subwoofer tested to that point , and this is why it is so hard to beat the Captivator 1400, V1 or V2. This all around top to bottom power was one of the reasons why I picked the Cap 1400 out of so many outstanding choices available; it does seem to occupy an unparalleled sweet spot of power and low cost all on its own. (Just to think it was on sale for even lower at $1700 just a couple weeks ago.)

Jeff P. does seem to have this unusual talent of making high quality, low cost subwoofers with *STAGGERING* capability & backed by numbers measured by third party.


Regards, Can
My System & Theta Casablanca Mini-Review (CB IVa setup help HERE) Uncontrolled passion for music, and sound.
Interesting Audio Diagrams :-) & High-End Speaker Reviews
JTR Subwoofer Thread I don't always listen to subwoofers, but when I do, it's JTR :-).

Last edited by cannga; 12-22-2016 at 10:36 AM.
cannga is offline  
post #39 of 13213 Old 12-21-2016, 06:57 PM
Member
 
supergoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Anyone else get in on the Captivator 218HT pre-order sale? I am moving up from an SVS PB2000 and am worried about caving in my house
cannga and Jeff Permanian like this.
supergoon is offline  
post #40 of 13213 Old 12-22-2016, 05:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Jeff Permanian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,364
Mentioned: 157 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 894 Post(s)
Liked: 1972
Quote:
Originally Posted by supergoon View Post
Anyone else get in on the Captivator 218HT pre-order sale? I am moving up from an SVS PB2000 and am worried about caving in my house
The Captivator 118HT posted 122db 50hz and above while producing 105db at 16hz (2m, rms).
warndry likes this.

Last edited by Jeff Permanian; 12-22-2016 at 06:04 AM.
Jeff Permanian is offline  
post #41 of 13213 Old 12-22-2016, 10:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
chucky7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Posts: 4,626
Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3529 Post(s)
Liked: 4518
The following is smellyfungus 's review of Captivator 118HT. I will post it here.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-su...l#post49151793

Hi Guys,

I've had the Cap 118HT for a while now and told Jeff I would be posting a review but with work and life I've been pretty lazy. It seems like the 118HT doesn't get as much fanfare as JTR's more powerful options but I wanted to chime in for any of those considering purchasing the 2017 version.

My current man cave is a loft only about 13' x 12' but opens to the rest of the house on the side. It's not the best room acoustically but it's my only option until I move one day.

I had tried sealed with RA's Gamma and realized ported was the way to go, unfortunately the debacle with RA left me low on funds. My options were settling with what I had or seeing what deals I could swing. I really wanted JTR after what I've read in the forums and Jeff was kind enough to give me a great offer on a "prototype" which he described as parts laying around the shop.

The sub shipped within a few days and Jeff even checked in around the time I was supposed to receive the sub to ask for my thoughts on the product. Many many weeks later here are my thoughts (and photos).

So as many warned but very little heed, the sub is the size of a mini fridge. The box is fairly massive and I had a couple flights of stairs to go up in my condo. The delivery guy looked angry that I answered the door and he begrudgingly went back to the truck and hauled the package up the steps to my front door. I had originally planned to wait for a friend but I was so excited I ended up carefully pushing the package up the stairs (no worries, it's carpet).

I was immediately impressed by how well packed the subwoofer was. Everything was wrapped neatly in plastic and cushioned by large foam blocks. I was semi lost on why there were holes where the amp and woofer were but I guessed it's so they know it's a 118HT and not a Cap 1400.

I also thought it was funny that the power cord is tucked in one of the ports, smart packaging indeed. I had really wanted a high gloss/veneer sub (couldn't swing the cost difference) but I was surprised that the default matte black ain't too shabby. It actually has a little shimmer to it, feels like sandpaper. It can get white scuff marks easily but that can be wiped off. If you could afford a paint job/veneer I would say go for it, with such a large size I think it's likely worth the cost. If I ever can afford to upgrade I will definitely get a veneered one next time.

Now the part that matters, the sound. Right off the bat I ran ARC on my Anthem but used the same distance settings. I immediately noticed a much fuller sound, ARC had this flat til it's cutoff of 15hz which got me really excited. The sub is at 0 for the LF adjust.

On the RA Gamma I had to run at +3db hot to get a satisfactory balance of bass quantity and quality. With the 118HT I'm running it at the calibrated level and still feeling every thump my movies/shows provide. I had already thought my Gamma sounded good/clean but with the additional low end provided by the 118HT it is simply a much more involving and satisfying experience.

The bass sounds clean, quick, and integrates well with my system (probably has to do more with the EQ but sub rounds out the system on the bottom end). It definitely is confusing hearing something so light on it's feet for something so large but when it's time for impact the sub delivers.

I wish I remembered the movie but it was one involving monsters and there were bassy footsteps. I swear I got confused and thought there was construction going on in the evening (they're building new homes near me) and paused the movie to double check since my house was shaking. It was my first holy crap moment with this sub and it continues to deliver every time I watch movies or listen to music.

I think for anyone who doesn't have a large room the 118HT will be great and don't worry too much about paying extra for the Cap 1400 (minus how sexy it looks, but the 118HT is pretty sexy in person).

Thank you again Jeff for making this happen and I encourage anyone who isn't sure about buying to give him a call. He's extremely straight forward and isn't pushy when it comes to buying.

Thank you all for reading and enjoy the pics!












Speakers: L/C/R: JTR Noesis 212HT. Surrounds: Jamo C103, KEF Q100, Polk Audio RTiA3.
Subwoofer: JTR Captivator 4000ULF.
AVR: Denon AVR-X4400H. TV: Samsung UN75NU8000FXZA.

FS: Jamo C103, KEF Q100 and Polk RTiA3

Last edited by chucky7; 12-22-2016 at 10:38 AM.
chucky7 is offline  
post #42 of 13213 Old 12-22-2016, 11:56 AM
Advanced Member
 
detroit1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 705
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 42
can anyone comment on the specific pros and cons of the 1400 vs the S1 ?
detroit1 is offline  
post #43 of 13213 Old 12-22-2016, 12:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
chucky7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Posts: 4,626
Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3529 Post(s)
Liked: 4518
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroit1 View Post
can anyone comment on the specific pros and cons of the 1400 vs the S1 ?
Cap 1400 is ported and Cap S1 is sealed.

You should research the difference between them to determine which one is better for you.

Speakers: L/C/R: JTR Noesis 212HT. Surrounds: Jamo C103, KEF Q100, Polk Audio RTiA3.
Subwoofer: JTR Captivator 4000ULF.
AVR: Denon AVR-X4400H. TV: Samsung UN75NU8000FXZA.

FS: Jamo C103, KEF Q100 and Polk RTiA3
chucky7 is offline  
post #44 of 13213 Old 12-22-2016, 12:55 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 162
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucky7 View Post
The following is smellyfungus 's review of Captivator 118HT. I will post it here.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-su...l#post49151793

Hi Guys,

I've had the Cap 118HT for a while now and told Jeff I would be posting a review but with work and life I've been pretty lazy. It seems like the 118HT doesn't get as much fanfare as JTR's more powerful options but I wanted to chime in for any of those considering purchasing the 2017 version.

My current man cave is a loft only about 13' x 12' but opens to the rest of the house on the side. It's not the best room acoustically but it's my only option until I move one day.

I had tried sealed with RA's Gamma and realized ported was the way to go, unfortunately the debacle with RA left me low on funds. My options were settling with what I had or seeing what deals I could swing. I really wanted JTR after what I've read in the forums and Jeff was kind enough to give me a great offer on a "prototype" which he described as parts laying around the shop.

The sub shipped within a few days and Jeff even checked in around the time I was supposed to receive the sub to ask for my thoughts on the product. Many many weeks later here are my thoughts (and photos).

So as many warned but very little heed, the sub is the size of a mini fridge. The box is fairly massive and I had a couple flights of stairs to go up in my condo. The delivery guy looked angry that I answered the door and he begrudgingly went back to the truck and hauled the package up the steps to my front door. I had originally planned to wait for a friend but I was so excited I ended up carefully pushing the package up the stairs (no worries, it's carpet).

I was immediately impressed by how well packed the subwoofer was. Everything was wrapped neatly in plastic and cushioned by large foam blocks. I was semi lost on why there were holes where the amp and woofer were but I guessed it's so they know it's a 118HT and not a Cap 1400.

I also thought it was funny that the power cord is tucked in one of the ports, smart packaging indeed. I had really wanted a high gloss/veneer sub (couldn't swing the cost difference) but I was surprised that the default matte black ain't too shabby. It actually has a little shimmer to it, feels like sandpaper. It can get white scuff marks easily but that can be wiped off. If you could afford a paint job/veneer I would say go for it, with such a large size I think it's likely worth the cost. If I ever can afford to upgrade I will definitely get a veneered one next time.

Now the part that matters, the sound. Right off the bat I ran ARC on my Anthem but used the same distance settings. I immediately noticed a much fuller sound, ARC had this flat til it's cutoff of 15hz which got me really excited. The sub is at 0 for the LF adjust.

On the RA Gamma I had to run at +3db hot to get a satisfactory balance of bass quantity and quality. With the 118HT I'm running it at the calibrated level and still feeling every thump my movies/shows provide. I had already thought my Gamma sounded good/clean but with the additional low end provided by the 118HT it is simply a much more involving and satisfying experience.

The bass sounds clean, quick, and integrates well with my system (probably has to do more with the EQ but sub rounds out the system on the bottom end). It definitely is confusing hearing something so light on it's feet for something so large but when it's time for impact the sub delivers.

I wish I remembered the movie but it was one involving monsters and there were bassy footsteps. I swear I got confused and thought there was construction going on in the evening (they're building new homes near me) and paused the movie to double check since my house was shaking. It was my first holy crap moment with this sub and it continues to deliver every time I watch movies or listen to music.

I think for anyone who doesn't have a large room the 118HT will be great and don't worry too much about paying extra for the Cap 1400 (minus how sexy it looks, but the 118HT is pretty sexy in person).

Thank you again Jeff for making this happen and I encourage anyone who isn't sure about buying to give him a call. He's extremely straight forward and isn't pushy when it comes to buying.

Thank you all for reading and enjoy the pics!











What is that place on the ring where the bolts are located? 4th picture where it looks like a scuff mark. Is that where two separate ends of the ring meet? Almost looks like there is another one on the opposite side.
4kicknsnd is offline  
post #45 of 13213 Old 12-22-2016, 01:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
chucky7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Posts: 4,626
Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3529 Post(s)
Liked: 4518
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4kicknsnd View Post
What is that place on the ring where the bolts are located? 4th picture where it looks like a scuff mark. Is that where two separate ends of the ring meet? Almost looks like there is another one on the opposite side.
Are you referring to the subwoofer gasket?

The gasket used on Cap 118HT is more for decoration only. It is put/adhered around the driver after the driver has been screwed onto the front of the cabinet.

https://www.google.com/search?q=subw...CgAQ_AUI2gEoAQ

Speakers: L/C/R: JTR Noesis 212HT. Surrounds: Jamo C103, KEF Q100, Polk Audio RTiA3.
Subwoofer: JTR Captivator 4000ULF.
AVR: Denon AVR-X4400H. TV: Samsung UN75NU8000FXZA.

FS: Jamo C103, KEF Q100 and Polk RTiA3

Last edited by chucky7; 12-22-2016 at 01:36 PM.
chucky7 is offline  
post #46 of 13213 Old 12-22-2016, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
cannga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Palos Verdes - Lakers Land
Posts: 3,397
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1893 Post(s)
Liked: 1841
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroit1 View Post
can anyone comment on the specific pros and cons of the 1400 vs the S1 ?
See graph below, tells part of the story, "all else being equal." Meaning similar size, driver, cost. Physically, the S1 is smaller. Otherwise a somewhat controversial topic (because personal taste and opinions are involved), but IMHO:

For music, where content is mostly above 30 hz: Depends on taste, room, type of music, either would be great. I personally would very likely favor the sealed S1. The sealed subwoofers that I have (JL E112, etc.) tend to have relatively prominent mid bass, that tight punch, which is great for movie, but *really* great for music.

For movie, where content dips often enough to 20 and below into infrasonic: Again depends on room, taste, content, but I personally would vote for the ported 1400. A ported 18 incher would give you that tremendous *bloom*, or maybe "boom" , in the low 15-30 range.

The Fletcher Munson "phenomenon" would tend to favor a ported subwoof with the big boom at 15-20 hz also. Anyway, if you are serious, it might be a good idea to call Jeff P. for his advice; he might just say, ah ignore that guy cannga! :-) FWIW most of JTR subwoofs are ported, except for sealed S1 & S2, and folder horn Orbit Shifter.



Last Mile likes this.

Regards, Can
My System & Theta Casablanca Mini-Review (CB IVa setup help HERE) Uncontrolled passion for music, and sound.
Interesting Audio Diagrams :-) & High-End Speaker Reviews
JTR Subwoofer Thread I don't always listen to subwoofers, but when I do, it's JTR :-).

Last edited by cannga; 12-22-2016 at 06:25 PM.
cannga is offline  
post #47 of 13213 Old 12-22-2016, 06:37 PM
Member
 
metropol951's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Official JTR Speakers Subwoofer Thread

. My captivator 118 Ht arrived today!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by metropol951; 12-22-2016 at 06:44 PM.
metropol951 is online now  
post #48 of 13213 Old 12-23-2016, 07:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
cannga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Palos Verdes - Lakers Land
Posts: 3,397
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1893 Post(s)
Liked: 1841
Quote:
Originally Posted by metropol951 View Post
My captivator 118 Ht arrived today!
Happy Holibass :-). "Isn't she pretty?"

What a fun weekend for you; I too was hoping for a pre Christmas delivery but the paint finish is a lot more work than I thought. If possible please give impression.
Jeff Permanian likes this.

Last edited by cannga; 12-24-2016 at 07:11 AM.
cannga is offline  
post #49 of 13213 Old 12-23-2016, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
cannga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Palos Verdes - Lakers Land
Posts: 3,397
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1893 Post(s)
Liked: 1841
Quote:
Originally Posted by supergoon View Post
Anyone else get in on the Captivator 218HT pre-order sale? I am moving up from an SVS PB2000 and am worried about caving in my house
"Anyone else" - did you pull the trigger on the pre-order sale? Product like the 218HT brings to mind two words: one, implode, two, explode. As in will my tympanic membrane implode? Will the room explode?

40 inch size subwoofer box reminds me very much of old style ultra high-end audio companies (Thiel, Wilson, etc.), owned by single person with singular vision. The goal is perhaps less about matching what other people are doing and what you want, more about what HE wants you to want :-), which seems to be making the most powerful subwoofers on the planet. Basically: this is what I do, these are the numbers, take it or leave it. Thankfully he does seem to think of "normal" people and make smaller boxes LOL like Cap 118HT and Cap 1400. Ok maybe only S1 is small.

For anyone new and shopping around, if you have any doubt about this goes to this page http://www.data-bass.com/systems, look at the column that says 16 hz, and compare JTR's numbers with others (bigger is, this time, better) :-).

Last edited by cannga; 12-24-2016 at 07:11 AM.
cannga is offline  
post #50 of 13213 Old 12-23-2016, 08:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RMK!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 95608
Posts: 7,690
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1712 Post(s)
Liked: 1661
Quote:
Originally Posted by cannga View Post
^^^*Subjectively*, as with all audio components there's no way to tell what something "sounds" like until you have subwoofer in the room. But, *objectively*, you could see how old Captivator 1400 V1 compares, and hopefully new Captivator 1400 V2 would improve on that. Assuming I am doing this comparison correctly (any expert please correct me as needed), below are CEA-2010 numbers from Audioholics review of PB 16 versus Data-Bass review of Captivator 1400. Note I have added Captivator numbers next to the PB 16's extended mode's numbers, but they could be compared against other modes as well.

The PB16 is a remarkable deep-bass monster, but... Captivator is an even *BADDER* powerhouse that's out-deep-bassing a deep-bass monster, for less money. Captivator matches PB16 between 16-31 hz, and then surpasses it in all other frequencies, both infrasonic (12.5 hz by +7 dB) and all other bass range (40 hz on, up to +9 dB higher). This measurement seems to explain why Audioholics commented that the PB 16 Ultra's mid bass dynamic range is not as powerful as its deep bass.

Data-Bass noted in the Captivator 1400 V1's review that its CEA-2010 short term distortion limited burst output measurements are among the highest output of ANY commercial subwoofer tested to that point , and this is why it is so hard to beat the Captivator 1400, V1 or V2. This all around top to bottom power was one of the reasons why I picked the Cap 1400 out of so many outstanding choices available; it does seem to occupy an unparalleled sweet spot of power and low cost all on its own. (Just to think it was on sale for even lower at $1700 just a couple weeks ago.)

Jeff P. does seem to have this unusual talent of making high quality, low cost subwoofers with *STAGGERING* capability & backed by numbers measured by third party.

I was going to like this post but I can't bring myself to like any post authored by a Lakers fan ...
cannga and Last Mile like this.

Anxiety is contagious, please keep yours to yourself.
RMK! is offline  
post #51 of 13213 Old 12-23-2016, 10:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Jeff Permanian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,364
Mentioned: 157 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 894 Post(s)
Liked: 1972
Quote:
Originally Posted by cannga View Post
[/URL]
If you want to add:
Captivator 118HT CEA2010, 1m, peak
131db 50-125hz average (122db, 2m/rms)
127db 40hz (118db, 2m/rms)
124db 31.5hz (115db, 2m/rms)
122db 25hz (113db, 2m/rms)
119db 20hz (110db, 2m/rms)
114db 16hz (105db, 2m/rms)

Last edited by Jeff Permanian; 12-23-2016 at 04:39 PM.
Jeff Permanian is offline  
post #52 of 13213 Old 12-23-2016, 10:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
indebtbassfreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Squamish BC
Posts: 2,603
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1417 Post(s)
Liked: 2713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Permanian View Post
If you want to add:
Captivator 118HT CEA2010, 1m, peak
131db 50-125hz average (122db, 2m/rms)
127db 40hz (118db, 2m/rms)
124db 31.5hz (115db, 2m/rms)
122db 25hz (113db, 2m/rms)
117db 20hz (110db, 2m/rms)
105db 16hz (105db, 2m/rms)
Wow!!, i new the 1400 was potent, but didn't realize by that much. Well done Jeff!! I would have to check box size but believe its smaller than the chest freezer of the PB16? I'm getting nervous to the damage my S-1 is going to do to my house lol. I see i responded to the wrong sub as the 1400 was also been talked about in the previous post. Better go have some coffee. That been said the 118HT's performance in a sub selling right now for $1099 is just such a good value, jeff is giving some who may not have a large budget the opportunity to really experience something special in their home theater.
chucky7, warndry and Last Mile like this.

Last edited by indebtbassfreak; 12-23-2016 at 11:50 AM.
indebtbassfreak is offline  
post #53 of 13213 Old 12-23-2016, 04:16 PM
Member
 
supergoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by cannga View Post
"Anyone else" - did you pull the trigger on the pre-order sale? Product like the 218HT brings to mind two words: one, implode, two, explode. As in will my tympanic membrane implode? Will the room explode?
Yes I did order the 218HT. February can't come soon enough...
cannga likes this.
supergoon is offline  
post #54 of 13213 Old 12-24-2016, 05:29 AM
Member
 
metropol951's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by metropol951 View Post
. My captivator 118 Ht arrived today!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Quick post about my captivator 118HT. It arrived professionally packaged,in a heavy duty cardboard box with stiff foam on the inside. The custom finish is flawless. I used the foam to slide it along my hardwood floor. Put it in the spot where my JL audio e110 used to be. I listen at moderate levels,so last night i finally had a chance to watch a movie. I put in the force awakens and was grinning from ear to ear . It's awesome fills a large space that I have. Truthfully I am not sure I'll ever use it's full potential. It blows the e110 out of the water! I can't take measurements since I don't have a laptop. If anyone in San Antonio wants to swing by and take some measurements, let me know.
cannga, chucky7, Peterc613 and 1 others like this.
metropol951 is online now  
post #55 of 13213 Old 12-24-2016, 05:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
cannga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Palos Verdes - Lakers Land
Posts: 3,397
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1893 Post(s)
Liked: 1841
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post
I was going to like this post but I can't bring myself to like any post authored by a Lakers fan ...

Ah c'mon we've suffered enough, in the spirit of the season give me a Like! Boston, or, San Antonio?

PS Is this the same "RMK!" who started the JTR Captivator thread many years ago? I read a few of your helpful posts. Thank you.

Last edited by cannga; 12-24-2016 at 06:15 AM.
cannga is offline  
post #56 of 13213 Old 12-24-2016, 06:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
cannga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Palos Verdes - Lakers Land
Posts: 3,397
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1893 Post(s)
Liked: 1841
Quote:
Originally Posted by supergoon View Post
Yes I did order the 218HT. February can't come soon enough...


Wow congrats - I could harly wait for my 1400 myself. 40 inch cabinet is for the true bassheads whose dedication to bass has surpassed sanity (this is meant to be a compliment, I'm fairly nutty myself )? Truly outrageous, and... admirable. Same goes for whoever that designs this powerhouse .

218 HT is about same size as 4000 ULF, and below is one of my most favorite youtubes :-).



Last edited by cannga; 12-24-2016 at 07:04 AM.
cannga is offline  
post #57 of 13213 Old 12-24-2016, 06:23 AM
Member
 
supergoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by cannga View Post
Wow congrats - I could harly wait for my 1400 myself. 40 inch cabinet is for the true bassheads whose dedication to bass has surpassed sanity (this is meant to be a complement, I'm fairly nutty myself )? Truly outrageous, and... admirable. Same goes for whoever that designs this powerhouse .

218 HT is about same size as 4000 ULF, and below is one of my most favorite youtubes :-).


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-k2mJjz6XUE
I watched that video as well and my favorite part is at about 1:59 when the wife says "Ryan that is way too much"

No doubt I will be hearing that as well from my wife, the kids, the neighbors, and any passers-by within a few square miles
supergoon is offline  
post #58 of 13213 Old 12-24-2016, 06:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
cannga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Palos Verdes - Lakers Land
Posts: 3,397
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1893 Post(s)
Liked: 1841
Quote:
Originally Posted by metropol951 View Post
Quick post about my captivator 118HT. It arrived professionally packaged,in a heavy duty cardboard box with stiff foam on the inside. The custom finish is flawless. I used the foam to slide it along my hardwood floor. Put it in the spot where my JL audio e110 used to be. I listen at moderate levels,so last night i finally had a chance to watch a movie. I put in the force awakens and was grinning from ear to ear. It's awesome fills a large space that I have. Truthfully I am not sure I'll ever use it's full potential. It blows the e110 out of the water! I can't take measurements since I don't have a laptop. If anyone in San Antonio wants to swing by and take some measurements, let me know.

Not fair for bringing a rose to a gun fight! In the world of 2 channel high-end audio, JL Audio is perhaps king of the hill, but I too have realized for hometheaters these uncompromising JTR ported 18 inchers are necessary & don't want to miss out on it. Have fun and thanks for the report.

BTW friendly reminder - countdown = 7 days to the end of the $1099 pricing :-). Simply put: at this price unlikely that any commercial subwoofer will match this baby's CEA-2010 metrics. Nothing will reach as low as powerfully, and we know low bass is expensive bass :-).

Regards, Can
My System & Theta Casablanca Mini-Review (CB IVa setup help HERE) Uncontrolled passion for music, and sound.
Interesting Audio Diagrams :-) & High-End Speaker Reviews
JTR Subwoofer Thread I don't always listen to subwoofers, but when I do, it's JTR :-).

Last edited by cannga; 12-24-2016 at 11:43 AM.
cannga is offline  
post #59 of 13213 Old 12-24-2016, 10:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
raynist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: PA
Posts: 4,598
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2105 Post(s)
Liked: 2270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Permanian View Post
The "lf adjust" is a cut only filter and is there to tailor the subwoofer's lowend response to the room gain of the room it is being installed into. With the "lf adjust" all the way up it will give you a flat response outdoors and with it all the way down it will give you a flat response is a small sealed room. Because subwoofers have more maximum output capability on the topend you gain headroom with the "lf adjust" turned down. I would start with the "lf adjust" turned all the way down, take a measurement and adjust from there until you have a nice flat response. In our 16'x18'x8' demo room we ended up with the "lf adjust" at 1/4 the way up.
Hi Jeff,

On my S2's the LF Adjust has cut and boost. I currently have it set in the middle which I assume does neither.

What is the affect of setting it all the way to boost? What frequency and how much does this boost?

Thanks!
raynist is online now  
post #60 of 13213 Old 12-25-2016, 07:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
cannga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Palos Verdes - Lakers Land
Posts: 3,397
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1893 Post(s)
Liked: 1841
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post
Hi Jeff,

On my S2's the LF Adjust has cut and boost. I currently have it set in the middle which I assume does neither.

What is the affect of setting it all the way to boost? What frequency and how much does this boost?

Thanks!

Hi raynist (lucky S2 owner!), see graph below from Data- Bass that measures the effect of the LF Adjust in the King of Kings Captivator ULF 4000. Frequency range affected is sub 30 hz and I believe this would apply to all Captivators. I had questions about this setting too until I saw JP's explanation, which made me realize it's not "boost vs cut" (which to me imply a "safest/best/flat" setting in the middle), but simply a gain setting for the amplifier's DSP brain.

The way I understand it (anyone pls correct as needed): The max setting provides a flattest frequency response outdoor where subwoofers are meaured during testing. Once move indoors, room gain means this flat outdoor setting might be too much especially in small sealed room, etc., and if that's the case, either subjectively (too boomy) or objectively (not flat measurement indoor), the LF Adjust could be used. You could see this in the graph below: the max setting gives the flattest response outdoors.

Jeff actually suggests to start with the LF Adjust turned all the way down, take a measurement and adjust from there until you have a nice flat response. His explanation: Because subwoofers have more maximum output capability on the top end you gain headroom with the LF Adjust turned down. This way subwoof's bottom-end has more reserve to match higher headroom of top-end - I hope I make sense :-). Happy Holidays and hope this helps.



Last edited by cannga; 12-25-2016 at 08:29 AM.
cannga is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off