Official JTR Speakers Subwoofer Thread - Page 281 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 18821Likes

post #8401 of 13522 Old 05-30-2018, 05:51 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 20
[QUOTE=chucky7;56266512]The regular matte finish:
Thank you so much. Now waiting for someone to share a glossy one in cherry or black.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8402 of 13522 Old 05-30-2018, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 1904 Post(s)
Liked: 1853
Recently I have been listening to the JTR 1400 with 2 channel music more extensively, and have nothing but great news to report to the "audiophiles" out there who might be wary of the fact that this is a ported 18 inch subwoofer. In this evaluation, the JTR is used to supplement my Thiel CS5i driven by Krell FPB 600 power amp, and with 2 channel music only. IMHO music evaluation is the most difficult job for any subwoofer as its sound is laid bare, no hiding behind the explosions and loudness of movie. I've listened to my collection of audiophile music blockbusters, and threw in jazz and classical records where deep bass is not obviously the priority.

For me, the most critical aspect of a subwoofer for music (vs movie) is that it cannot stay in the way of music. It cannot have that bothersome muddiness/slowness/overhang (my different ways of describing the same thing) that makes the subwoofer intrusive to the sound of music. A great subwoofer for music has to be there when it's called for, and totally disappears otherwise. I have been playing with numerous so called audiophile subwoofers for 20 plus years, and the JTR is far and away the most powerful and "fastest sounding" subwoofer I have come across. It infuses music with a very satisfying mid bass foundation, yet doesn't sound slow, or slows down the rhythm and pace. It has a powerful midbass punch that made me transfixed to the soundstage with disbelief when the percussion punch of Yello's Lost Again (45 rpm UK) came on. The realism is intoxicating.

I own the JL Audio E112, a sealed subwoofer that is known in high-end audio circles for its tight clean bass, hence especially recommended for music. When I finally did a shoot-out between my JL Audio 12 incher vs JTR Captivator's 18 incher, lo and behold in my sytem, it is the JTR that subjectively is tighter and punchier, and has less muddiness/overhang. To my ears much "better" for music, and of course no comparison whatsoever for movies.

I have had multiple subwoofers and no reason to favor any particular brand, so my recommendation for JTR, without reservation, should be taken as an awesome vote of confidence for JTR's work. This is a subwoofer that stays completely out of the way when it's not needed, and then comes on with the most incredible power moments later. Order the darn thing and enjoy!

Last edited by cannga; 05-31-2018 at 10:35 AM.
post #8403 of 13522 Old 05-30-2018, 10:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 299 Post(s)
Quoted: 3577 Post(s)
Liked: 4600
Quote:
Originally Posted by mir3acles View Post
Thank you so much. Now waiting for someone to share a glossy one in cherry or black.

SuperFist, djreef and mir3acles like this.

Speakers: L/C/R: JTR Noesis 212HT. Surrounds: Jamo C103, KEF Q100, Polk Audio RTiA3.
Subwoofer: JTR Captivator 4000ULF.
AVR: Denon AVR-X4400H. TV: Samsung UN75NU8000FXZA.

FS: Jamo C103, KEF Q100 and Polk RTiA3

Last edited by chucky7; 05-31-2018 at 01:49 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8404 of 13522 Old 05-30-2018, 10:45 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by cannga View Post

Is this the glossy cherry finish posted by Cannga or the image posted by Chucky

Canngas:

Chuckys

Last edited by mir3acles; 05-30-2018 at 10:49 PM.
post #8405 of 13522 Old 05-30-2018, 11:04 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Recently I have been listening to the JTR 1400 with 2 channel music more extensively, and have nothing but great news to report to the "audiophiles" out there who might be wary of the fact that this is a ported 18 inch subwoofer. In this evaluation, the JTR is used to supplement my Thiel CS5i driven by Krell FPB 600 power amp, and with 2 channel music only. IMHO music evaluation is the most difficult job for any subwoofer as its sound is laid bare, no hiding behind the explosions and loudness of movie. I've listened to my collection of audiophile music blockbusters, and threw in jazz and classical records where deep bass is not obviously the priority.

For me, the most critical aspect of a subwoofer for music (vs movie) is that it cannot stay in the way of music. It cannot have that bothersome muddiness/slowness/overhang (my different ways of describing the same thing) that makes the subwoofer intrusive to the sound of music. A great subwoofer for music has to be there when it's called for, and totally disappears otherwise. I have been playing with numerous so called audiophile subwoofers for 20 plus years, and the JTR is far and away the most powerful and "fastest sounding" subwoofer I have come across. It infuses music with a very satisfying mid bass foundation, yet doesn't sound slow, or slows down the rhythm and pace. It has a powerful midbass punch that made me look with disbelief into the soundstage when the percussion punch of Yello's Lost Again (45 rpm UK) came on. The realism is intoxicating.

I own the JL Audio E112, a sealed subwoofer that is known in high-end audio circles for its tight clean bass, hence especially recommended for music. When I finally did a shoot-out between my JL Audio 12 incher vs JTR Captivator's 18 incher, lo and behold in my sytem, it is the JTR that subjectively is tighter and punchier, and has less muddiness/overhang. To my ears much "better" for music, and of course no comparison whatsoever for movies.

I have had multiple subwoofers and no reason to favor any particular brand, so my recommendation for JTR, without reservation, should be taken as an awesome vote of confidence for JTR's work. This is a subwoofer that stays completely out of the way when it's not needed, and then comes on with the most incredible power moments later. Order the darn thing and enjoy!

My goodness, that subwoofer is just so beautiful. I've seen it embedded in this thread several times before, and I genuinely believe that it should have an honor of one sort or another bestowed upon it. That is true excellence. Congratulations to both the builder and to the owner.

2-Channel:
Wharfedale Opus 2-3, Jolida JD1502, Arcam irDAC
3.2 Home Theater:
Marantz SR7013, Klipsch RP-160 piano black X 3, JTR 2400 ULF X 2
post #8406 of 13522 Old 05-30-2018, 11:38 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 241 Post(s)
Quoted: 5490 Post(s)
Liked: 4992
Quote:
Originally Posted by mir3acles View Post
Ordered the cap 2400. I am thinking of upgrading the finish though. I am not sure how the regular matte looks like. Can anyone please share a close up picture of the regular matte or the glossy cherry/ black. Just wanted to see how the matte would like and is it worth to upgrade. Once again thank you all so much for helping me select the subwoofer. Looking forward for the shipment to come in.
The upgrade is worth it IMO. Especially on the 2400 (the 4000 is all drivers on its face).

The basic wood veneer has square corners. Jeff can match your existing furniture with this option. See custom/matched Oak S1s:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=55746012

Jeff can now provide solid wood, rounded corners which provides an even more polished appearance (the sides are still veneer). Similar to what Funk Audio offers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpe4ever View Post
@cannga 's sub is an automotive finish. The cabinet goes through a gel process before finish. You can get any vehicle color on Earth. (I would love some S1s or S2s in BMW Carbon Black).

Jeff will be making several announcents June 1, which will include the new pricing structure.

JTR and Funk Audio are trailblazing and pushing the envelope. The only limits are your imagination and budget (damn you budget!).
Spoiler!

Last edited by Marc Alexander; 05-30-2018 at 11:54 PM.
post #8407 of 13522 Old 05-30-2018, 11:49 PM

@chucky7 did you take a picture of your 4000 next to my 2400?
My wife is the one who ordered the custom 2400. She said the veneer color is "cabernet". I will happily go along with it!
SuperFist likes this.
post #8408 of 13522 Old 05-30-2018, 11:58 PM

How are things Todd?

I just wanted to show off your 2400ULFs in the standard finish.

Do you have in-room pics yet? What is the size of your room?
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddct View Post
Man these things are heavy! The drivers are huge!

The short review: WORTH! EVERY! PENNY!

I didn't take any measurements, just put them in place, ran audy and level matched then started watching all the usual suspects. I went through like 25 different movies. I was like a kid in a candy store trying to figure out what to watch first. It was choice overload so I just started throwing movies in. As @AdamG would call them, the twin dragons did not disappoint!

I did have a ground loop hum problem. I tried XLR cables but those didn't work and then I tried to find an audio isolation transformer (no luck in the stores) but did buy 2 cheater plugs. Those silenced the hum right up. I'm fairly certain that is not a long term fix. Anyone care to offer any other suggestions? SVS ships their subs without a ground, can the SpeakerPower amps be plugged in the same way?

Forgive me for not posting sooner, as I have not had any subwoofers in the house since February and I was going through withdrawals.

A fuller review will be forthcoming and I will do my best not to disappoint.

It's good to finally be in the JTR club.

Todd
post #8409 of 13522 Old 05-31-2018, 01:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Alexander View Post
Yup... But in 640*480 resolution...

SuperFist likes this.

Speakers: L/C/R: JTR Noesis 212HT. Surrounds: Jamo C103, KEF Q100, Polk Audio RTiA3.

post #8410 of 13522 Old 05-31-2018, 04:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1286 Post(s)
Liked: 431
Quote:
The upgrade is worth it IMO. Especially on the 2400 (the 4000 is all drivers on its face).

The basic wood veneer has square corners. Jeff can match your existing furniture with this option. See custom/matched Oak S1s:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=55746012

Jeff can now provide solid wood, rounded corners which provides an even more polished appearance (the sides are still veneer). Similar to what Funk Audio offers.

@cannga 's sub is an automotive finish. The cabinet goes through a gel process before finish. You can get any vehicle color on Earth. (I would love some S1s or S2s in BMW Carbon Black).

Jeff will be making several announcents June 1, which will include the new pricing structure.

JTR and Funk Audio are trailblazing and pushing the envelope. The only limits are your imagination and budget (damn you budget!).
Spoiler!

Several announcements? Such as new products as well as pricing? New speakers coming?
post #8411 of 13522 Old 05-31-2018, 05:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked: 1261
Perhaps an S4 - like an S2 but two drivers on the back as well, deeper, prob less than 400 lbs
post #8412 of 13522 Old 05-31-2018, 06:44 AM

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 784
Quote:
How are things Todd?

I just wanted to show off your 2400ULFs in the standard finish.

Do you have in-room pics yet? What is the size of your room?
Quote:
Man these things are heavy! HThe drivers are huge! [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/eek.gif[/IMG]

The short review: WORTH! EVERY! PENNY!

I didn't take any measurements, just put them in place, ran audy and level matched then started watching all the usual suspects. I went through like 25 different movies. I was like a kid in a candy store trying to figure out what to watch first. It was choice overload so I just started throwing movies in. As @AdamG would call them, the twin dragons did not disappoint!

I did have a ground loop hum problem. I tried XLR cables but those didn't work and then I tried to find an audio isolation transformer (no luck in the stores) but did buy 2 cheater plugs. Those silenced the hum right up. I'm fairly certain that is not a long term fix. Anyone care to offer any other suggestions? SVS ships their subs without a ground, can the SpeakerPower amps be plugged in the same way?

Forgive me for not posting sooner, as I have not had any subwoofers in the house since February and I was going through withdrawals. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/IMG]

A fuller review will be forthcoming and I will do my best not to disappoint.

It's good to finally be in the JTR club.

Todd
Hey Marc, sorry, im out of pocket this week on vacation. 😉

This is the only picture I have showing it off naked in its natural form.

The black finish is quite industrial. I think the upgraded veneer is worth the money. That being said, I definitely don't feel the need to touch or move it around with kid gloves. And when you sit 13 ft away it doesn't really make a difference. They look matte black.

I will take more pics next week.

I don't remember exact measurements but my room is roughly 18x35x12. It's a big space to fill. 🙂

Todd
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E6AFE31B-2A7D-4BF4-8583-B8DC718862C8_1527773611188.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	2409858   Click image for larger version

Name:	9EEE5B5A-15E0-4193-B6EF-96D53BE03A30_1527773796748.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	2409864  
Marc Alexander likes this.

“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh
post #8413 of 13522 Old 05-31-2018, 06:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

The black finish is quite industrial. I think the upgraded veneer is worth the money. That being said, I definitely don't feel the need to touch or move it around with kid gloves. And when you sit 13 ft away it doesn't really make a difference. They look matte black.

I don't remember exact measurements but my room is roughly 18x35x12. It's a big space to fill. 🙂

Todd

Am I crazy or is there supposed to be two port holes in the bottom. I think there are in mine? Those are 2400ULFs, right?
post #8414 of 13522 Old 05-31-2018, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottieBoysName View Post
Quote:

Todd

Am I crazy or is there supposed to be two port holes in the bottom. I think there are in mine? Those are 2400ULFs, right?
Good catch! Nobody mentioned that the first time I posted that pic. Yes, it is a 2400 and Jeff will have more to say about that tomorrow I believe.

Todd

“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh
post #8415 of 13522 Old 05-31-2018, 07:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Good catch! Nobody mentioned that the first time I posted that pic. Yes, it is a 2400 and Jeff will have more to say about that tomorrow I believe.

Todd

Uhhhhh, changes?

Well crap. I just picked up a ton of speakers and subs from him. Delivered this month. Should I have waited? Lol.

Seems I would have paid more for them though.
post #8416 of 13522 Old 05-31-2018, 07:18 AM

[QUOTE=ScottieBoysName;56268898]
Quote:
Uhhhhh, changes? [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]

Well crap. I just picked up a ton of speakers and subs from him. Delivered this month. Should I have waited? Lol.

Seems I would have paid more for them though.
I only know about the one specific change on the 2400. I don't know anything else. I can't speak for Jeff but I wouldn't worry about your order. If he didn't say anything about changes, then you may not have any. Just my thoughts.

Todd

post #8417 of 13522 Old 05-31-2018, 07:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

[quote=toddct;56268978]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottieBoysName View Post

I only know about the one specific change on the 2400. I don't know anything else. I can't speak for Jeff but I wouldn't worry about your order. If he didn't say anything about changes, then you may not have any. Just my thoughts.

Todd

I wonder why the change to a single port hole? I can’t see Jeff doing something without a specific reason.
post #8418 of 13522 Old 05-31-2018, 07:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 2621 Post(s)
Liked: 2380
Lower tuned? 10hz?
SuperFist likes this.
post #8419 of 13522 Old 05-31-2018, 07:44 AM

Oh......there's a reason.....but he made me pinky swear. 🙂

I'm sure it will be out tomorrow on here, FB and the website.

Todd

post #8420 of 13522 Old 05-31-2018, 08:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Oh......there's a reason.....but he made me pinky swear. 🙂

I'm sure it will be out tomorrow on here, FB and the website.

Todd

Aaaaaaaargh!!!!

I hope I don’t have buyers remorse. Lol.
post #8421 of 13522 Old 05-31-2018, 08:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvuong View Post
Lower tuned? 10hz?

What’s the tune at now? 15?
post #8422 of 13522 Old 05-31-2018, 08:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 2621 Post(s)
Liked: 2380
^^ 14hz
post #8423 of 13522 Old 05-31-2018, 09:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

A fellow JTR customer had PMed me about the reason for the price change. Is it due to newer design, or just rising cost. I emailed Jeff about it and Jeff did not reply. I also forgot to ask Jeff when I saw him last weekend. I guess we will have to wait for the announcement tomorrow.

post #8424 of 13522 Old 05-31-2018, 10:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked: 1261
There was talk about Fi Audio getting out of the OEM business. Perhaps a change in driver manufacturer? That could explain the change in port design. Endless speculation will continue till we get official news
post #8425 of 13522 Old 05-31-2018, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 1904 Post(s)
Liked: 1853
Quote:
My wife is the one who ordered the custom 2400. She said the veneer color is "cabernet". I will happily go along with it!
Awesome pictures.
Re. changes, I hope it’s not new drivers. I am sure he’ll make it good but I love the sound of my JTR as is.

This may make me order my 2400 sooner than expected. 😬😁
toddct likes this.
post #8426 of 13522 Old 05-31-2018, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucky7 View Post
A fellow JTR customer had PMed me about the reason for the price change. Is it due to newer design, or just rising cost. I emailed Jeff about it and Jeff did not reply. I also forgot to ask Jeff when I saw him last weekend. I guess we will have to wait for the announcement tomorrow.
The price changes are due to rising costs. Jeff has vowed never to compromise on component quality (so don't mention MDF to him ).

<spoiler>
The 10Hz tune is to, 1) allow for mixing and matching of 2400 and 4000 ULFs without worrying about phase cancellations (likely only a potential issue in sealed rooms). 2) Allow someone to take advantage of dual subs while preserving the performance/extension of a single 4000.

Jeff listens to the customers. Folks wanted an upright version of the 2400 (this was the first time I had ever emailed him) and I don't think many have requested the low-rider since. I've always had a preference for the 2400 as its size & weight are much more manageable and have more placement flexibility.
SuperFist and Pradeep2 like this.
post #8427 of 13522 Old 05-31-2018, 10:48 AM

Mentioned: 400 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5625 Post(s)
Liked: 5464
Quote:
Awesome pictures.
Re. changes, I hope it’s not new drivers. I am sure he’ll make it good but I love the sound of my JTR as is.

This may make me order my 2400 sooner than expected. 😬😁
Why would you hope it isn't newer drivers? Fi drivers are decent enough, but they are no real premium type of product. I can think of several other build houses that could produce something even better...

European Models do not accept banana plugs
Belly of the Beast: Bass Bunker Theater
post #8428 of 13522 Old 05-31-2018, 10:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Ordered 2 Captivator S1’s from Jeff yesterday over the phone for a new construction house in Texas. It was a great experience and Jeff was very helpful. I won’t be in the house until June 25, and should get the subs at some point in the near future after that. I’m very excited as I have been a GTR fan for a few years without ever having owned one. Will definitely check back in with some impressions. They will be part of a 7.2.4 Atmos system in a sealed 18‘ x 14‘ media room with an 85 inch Sony 900f television and Klipsch speakers all around and in the ceiling. I will also be putting in some acoustic treatment. Should be a fun room and also plan on doing a little “build“ thread here on AVS. My goal with the two Captivator S1’s is to have 115 dB from 15hz and up and usable output from 10 to 15 hz. Hopefully it all comes to fruition.
post #8429 of 13522 Old 05-31-2018, 11:00 AM

Mentioned: 136 Post(s)
Quoted: 2525 Post(s)
Liked: 2628
Quote:
Hey Marc, sorry, im out of pocket this week on vacation. &#x1f609;

I don't remember exact measurements but my room is roughly 18x35x12. It's a big space to fill. &#x1f642;

Todd
I fixed it for you

SuperFist likes this.

Building the room, speakers, and subs.
post #8430 of 13522 Old 05-31-2018, 11:02 AM

Thank you! I need to learn how to do that.

Todd

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page