Official JTR Speakers Subwoofer Thread - Page 396 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 17291Likes

post #11851 of 12682 Old 02-23-2019, 02:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1123 Post(s)
Liked: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by leehan76 View Post
I watched Overload with some friends tonight. Yes, the first several minutes of the film were very intense in the overall impact. Was left speechless. The rest of the movie is also great, but wow the opening scenes were just a total joy to experience with some capable subs, as you have!

Can’t wait to watch it!
leehan76 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11852 of 12682 Old 02-23-2019, 02:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddct View Post
Tron Legacy from start to finish is a bass feast! Give a shot and tell me I'm wrong.

Todd

I’ll pick it up.
post #11853 of 12682 Old 02-23-2019, 02:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
As for sound intensity Ready Player One is hard to beat, especially for newer movies. I don't recall feeling my hair and clothes moving as much on any movie as much as RP1.

Blade Runner 2049 has far fewer moments of crazy bass, but when it hits it's nuts too. The Atmos in BR2049 is the best I have ever heard, and the picture quality is one of the best I've seen too. It is the only movie that causes one of my ceiling speakers to make the HVAC (that the speaker sits right next to) rattle, and it does it quite a few times which gives you an idea of how much more content is put in the ceiling in that movie. Annoying rattle though, I'm surprised that the over all bass has never caused that but a little in ceiling speaker does.

BR is the only time I have thought, wow those overheads are LOUD.

Check out the 4K of Fury. The cannon fire is insane and the bass combined with the surround field will make you feel like bullets are ripping right through you.

As for older movies, check out the 4K Matrix. The Atmos is top 5-10 ever, and if you turn up the bass a bit it's great too while the picture quality for an "older" movie is fantastic.

Terminator Genysis in Atmos is underrated, I don't hear it talked about much but lots of very intense sound and bass.

And then of course there are the classic 5 star bass movies...

Hmmm I seem to be focused much more on the sound here...

Which 5 are those?

BR2049 - watched a portion of this a few days ago. It’s the first movie that made me turn my system down. The opening was rattling my house a part.
cannga and jamiebosco like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11854 of 12682 Old 02-23-2019, 07:31 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 98
My wife and I finally got around to watching A Quiet Place (with BEQ) and it reminded me why I stretched to purchase the Duchess of Boom (Cap 1400).

That was probably the best audio experience I have had in my home theater.....the Atmos was amazing (especially scenes where there were things happening above the characters)
The bass was superb with different textures especially in the latter portions of the story.
I was impressed with the punch of footsteps and gun fire and the floor shudder at times

My wife even said that was the best our theater has ever sounded and admitted that she was impressed

I had been saving for a long time to reach this type of performance from a sub and Jeff really brings the goods!

If you have not seen the movie, it was well written, great acting, and properly built tension throughout.....highly recommended.

LG OLED55B8PUA / Tivo Roamio (OTA) / Samsung UBD-K8500 / Apple TV 4K
Denon AVR-X4200W
Monitor Audio GS10 / Monitor Audio GSLCR / Monitor Audio Silver FX / (4) Monitor Audio Pro-IC65
JTR Captivator 1400 "Duchess of Boom"
post #11855 of 12682 Old 02-23-2019, 07:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 650 Post(s)
Liked: 1543
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottieBoysName View Post
Which 5 are those?

BR2049 - watched a portion of this a few days ago. It’s the first movie that made me turn my system down. The opening was rattling my house a part.
I think @carp just meant "And then of course there are the classic 5-star bass movies..." as in the movies that get 5 stars for bass over at dB.com

5-Star Films:

Edge of Tomorrow
Everly
Flight of the Phoenix
Hellboy II: The Golden Army
Pixels
Ragnarok
Star Trek
War Horse

http://data-bass.ipbhost.com/topic/1...mes-music-etc/

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
TV: Panasonic P65ST60 AVR: Denon 4311ci Speakers: PSA MTM-210C (Centre), PSA MTM-210 (Left & Right), PSA MT-110 (Surrounds) Subwoofers: Dual Seaton SubMersives
post #11856 of 12682 Old 02-23-2019, 09:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiebosco View Post
I think @carp just meant "And then of course there are the classic 5-star bass movies..." as in the movies that get 5 stars for bass over at dB.com

5-Star Films:

Edge of Tomorrow
Everly
Flight of the Phoenix
Pixels
Ragnarok
Star Trek
War Horse

Ahhhhh gotcha. HB2 is getting a 4k release soon! I’ll check those out.

I was just watching Suicide Squad. There’s some rumbling in there.
post #11857 of 12682 Old 02-23-2019, 09:23 AM

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 610
This is also a great list to check out. Recommended by the infamous @cannga !

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-s...l#post48981473

I've also heard from chucky7 that Hunter Killer has some........killer...........bass.

Plenty of ear candy out there.

Todd
cannga and Adamg (Ret-Navy) like this.

“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh
post #11858 of 12682 Old 02-23-2019, 11:26 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 672 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3513 Post(s)
Liked: 3195
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiebosco View Post

5-Star Films:

Edge of Tomorrow
Everly
Flight of the Phoenix
Pixels
Ragnarok
Star Trek
War Horse

Some of the 4.75 rated movies are subjectively better than some of the 5.0 rated movies IMO so check out those too, especially the all time bass classic The Incredible Hulk. Other stand outs are the first How to Train Your Dragon, War of the Worlds (picture quality isn't good and it's not scope which sucks), Dredd, and maybe the best worst movie but amazing sound/bass/picture quality movie of all time: Jupiter Ascending.

Olympus Has Fallen has a scene (Washington Monument) that is the only scene ever that has tripped my breaker while NOT during a demo (including the intro to Edge of Tomorrow), just normal movie watching. It's because it's so long, that rumble just keeps going and going...

Flight of the Phoenix will open some eyes because while it does have great extension the most impressive scene IMO is the barrel roll plane scene which has a massive hump centered at 32 hz. Yes, 32 hz. It is my belief that many would think that the content would be centered much, much lower.
post #11859 of 12682 Old 02-23-2019, 12:25 PM
The Ultimate chest punch!

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked: 1805
Quote:
Since we’re all JTR LFE junkies in here, I thought I’d pose this question here first. I’m currently running an all JTR setup, sans overheads which are JBL SCS8s. Dual 2400ULFs on sub duty. Have a blast watching stuff so far.

Watching the first race scene in Ready Player One was a religious experience. I’ve never felt ULF/LFE like that before and combined with the image, Atmos, and general mayhem - it was awesome. I was stunned.

What other scenes have visual and sonic impact like that? What else has the total package of

1. ULF/LFE
2. Stunning Image
3. Immersive Sound
4. Aggressive Sequence

Anybody? I didn’t even feel Jurassic Park dig as deep as the swinging cannon balls in Ready Player One.

I ran the sequence for my wife and her statement was “I can’t watch an entire film with stuff that intense.”

That’s a good word for it. Intense. What else is out there?

I’ve heard the opening plane scene in Overlord is killer. I’ll check it out next.
Hi Scottie,

A little late to the party here. However, for the ultimate list of BASS Mega Movies, look no further then right here in "AVS Forums". Great list updated almost daily and lots of data, plots and in-depth discussions about Movies with killer Bass content. Anybody with Subs like "JTR" makes needs to keep this Thread bookmarked. Here is the link:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-s...l#post51057089

Have fun and let the "Dogs of Bass" lose upon your neighbors!!!!!
toddct and mthomas47 like this.

AdamG, ...out!
The government cannot give to anybody,
anything that the government does not first,
take from somebody else.
post #11860 of 12682 Old 02-23-2019, 02:40 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by imureh View Post
Did u say 1db variation? If so that is darn good. The goal is flag to +-3db. You may have to tweak post calibration. I know I had to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was getting 9db variation as shown in one of the attached pics, the other is what ARC doing its work on my subwoofers. In REW shown at MLP, the green line is peq only without any ARC. The blue is ARC and PEQ. And red is ARC and no PEQ. I wonder if I should let ARC just handle frequencies above my crossover point and let MiniDSP alone handle subwoofer frequencies. With ARC and PEQ’s doing different things to my graph, from what I’ve gathered, perhaps I should focus on getting my graph as straight as possible w/ PEQ’s alone?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8650AAB0-7E6B-40FD-97CF-5AB022F5E6C5.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	185.7 KB
ID:	2530084   Click image for larger version

Name:	D9F2F20D-10A9-4E12-8A77-0E644F7BCF2A.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	206.4 KB
ID:	2530086  

Subs: JTR Captivator S1 x2 Speakers: KEF R300 (L/R), KEF R600c (Center), KEF Ci160QR x4 (Atmos), Dynaudio Audience 50 (Surrounds) Processor/Amps: Anthem AVM60, Anthem MCA325, Rotel RB985 mkII Misc: Samsung K8500, ATV 4k, Sony PS4, MiniDSP 2x4HD Video: BenQ HT2050, 100” Screen Room: 2500 cu sq. ft. sealed on suspended floor
post #11861 of 12682 Old 02-23-2019, 02:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamg (Ret-Navy) View Post
Hi Scottie,

A little late to the party here. However, for the ultimate list of BASS Mega Movies, look no further then right here in "AVS Forums". Great list updated almost daily and lots of data, plots and in-depth discussions about Movies with killer Bass content. Anybody with Subs like "JTR" makes needs to keep this Thread bookmarked. Here is the link:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-s...l#post51057089

Have fun and let the "Dogs of Bass" lose upon your neighbors!!!!!

Will do! I also wasn’t JUST looking for bass bombers, but the whole package - like that RPO sequence.
Adamg (Ret-Navy) likes this.
post #11862 of 12682 Old 02-23-2019, 05:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 290 Post(s)
Quoted: 3403 Post(s)
Liked: 4160
Quote:
I was getting 9db variation as shown in one of the attached pics, the other is what ARC doing its work on my subwoofers. In REW shown at MLP, the green line is peq only without any ARC. The blue is ARC and PEQ. And red is ARC and no PEQ. I wonder if I should let ARC just handle frequencies above my crossover point and let MiniDSP alone handle subwoofer frequencies. With ARC and PEQ’s doing different things to my graph, from what I’ve gathered, perhaps I should focus on getting my graph as straight as possible w/ PEQ’s alone?
It's time to learn to do a proper screen capture of the REW graphs...

Click on the camera icon. set the image width to 1000(what I use) and add a title to the screen. Then enter a save as name for the screen.

It's important to post graphs that are clear and to the point. Presentation is everything.

Speakers: L/C/R: JTR Neosis 212HT. Surrounds: Jamo C103, KEF Q100, Polk Audio RTiA3.
Subwoofer: JTR Captivator 4000ULF.
AVR: Denon AVR-X4400H. TV: Samsung UN75NU8000FXZA.

FS: Jamo C103, KEF Q100 and Polk RTiA3
post #11863 of 12682 Old 02-23-2019, 06:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 2191 Post(s)
Liked: 1483
Quote:
I watched Overload with some friends tonight. Yes, the first several minutes of the film were very intense in the overall impact. Was left speechless. The rest of the movie is also great, but wow the opening scenes were just a total joy to experience with some capable subs, as you have!

Thanks for having me and my wife over to experience your theater in action. Enjoyed listening to those dual S1s and that movie Overlord has tons of good ULF bass.
chucky7 and leehan76 like this.

Sony 45es | 120 inch screen | Panasonic BDT500 | Rotel RMB-1075 | Rotel RMB-1077 | Rotel RSP-1068 | Klipsch RP-280F/RP-450C/RP-160M (x4) | Funk Audio subs (x2) | MiniDSP 2x4HD | Crowson D-501/Shadow-8 Actuators (x2) | Monster Power Conditioner | GIK acoustic panels
post #11864 of 12682 Old 02-23-2019, 07:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Since we’re all JTR LFE junkies in here, I thought I’d pose this question here first. I’m currently running an all JTR setup, sans overheads which are JBL SCS8s. Dual 2400ULFs on sub duty. Have a blast watching stuff so far.

Watching the first race scene in Ready Player One was a religious experience. I’ve never felt ULF/LFE like that before and combined with the image, Atmos, and general mayhem - it was awesome. I was stunned.

What other scenes have visual and sonic impact like that? What else has the total package of

1. ULF/LFE
2. Stunning Image
3. Immersive Sound
4. Aggressive Sequence

Anybody? I didn’t even feel Jurassic Park dig as deep as the swinging cannon balls in Ready Player One.

I ran the sequence for my wife and her statement was “I can’t watch an entire film with stuff that intense.”

I’ve heard the opening plane scene in Overlord is killer. I’ll check it out next.
I would look at Hunter Killer, Wonder Woman, A Quite Place, Don't Breathe and Deep Water Horizon.

I do want to point out that HT experience with HE speakers may be different from regular speakers. I found out about this after getting the JTR 212HTs... I have been re-watching the movies that I saw since getting the 4000ULF but before the JTR speakers.

Last 2 weeks, I watched Pacific Rim Uprising, Mission Impossible Fall and Deep Water Horizon. I wasn't that impressed the first time (with regular speakers) watching them. This time it was much much more satisfying. I know you also have JTR 212 speakers.

Speakers: L/C/R: JTR Neosis 212HT. Surrounds: Jamo C103, KEF Q100, Polk Audio RTiA3.

post #11865 of 12682 Old 02-23-2019, 07:17 PM

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 606 Post(s)
Liked: 774
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucky7 View Post
I would look at Hunter Killer, Wonder Woman, A Quite Place, Don't Breathe and Deep Water Horizon.

I do want to point out that HT experience with HE speakers may be different from regular speakers. I found out about this after getting the JTR 212HTs... I have been re-watching the movies that I saw since getting the 4000ULF but before the JTR speakers.

Last 2 weeks, I watched Pacific Rim Uprising, Mission Impossible Fall and Deep Water Horizon. I wasn't that impressed the first time (with regular speakers) watching them. This time it was much much more satisfying. I know you also have JTR 212 speakers.
Chucky, do you have access to a 4k UHD player that you could test physical media? I was wondering if you would get even more out of it if you experienced truly lossless audio from a very competent player (oppo, high end Panasonic)? I have done some back to back tests with stuff that is streamed and DL'd off the internet and the 4k UHD's blow them out of the water. I wonder if you are losing anything streaming from a computer/device??

Greg
Adamg (Ret-Navy) and llang269 like this.

Subwoofers: Dual Rythmik F18SEs - SB13 Ultra
Speakers: Martin Logan Expressions - Martin Logan ESL-C - SVS Ultra Surrounds - KEF LS50W
Audio:McIntosh C2600 Pre - Marantz SR-8012 -Dual McIntosh 601's- McIntosh MT5 - McIntosh MP100 - Oppo UDP-205 - Panamax M5300PMx2 - Apple TV 4k - BlueSound Node 2
TV: Samsung 75" Q9FN - Sony 75" 940D
post #11866 of 12682 Old 02-23-2019, 07:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I’ll check those out for sure! Yup. Love my 212RTs.
chucky7 likes this.
post #11867 of 12682 Old 02-23-2019, 07:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscles View Post
Chucky, do you have access to a 4k UHD player that you could test physical media? I was wondering if you would get even more out of it if you experienced truly lossless audio from a very competent player (oppo, high end Panasonic)? I have done some back to back tests with stuff that is streamed and DL'd off the internet and the 4k UHD's blow them out of the water. I wonder if you are losing anything streaming from a computer/device??

Greg

I can’t imagine streaming media that’s not a direct rip holding a candle to physical media. Streaming media is often lossy, while physical media is lossless.
post #11868 of 12682 Old 02-23-2019, 07:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Greg
Greg,

I don't have a 4k UHD player but I did just get a media streaming player that can play 4K content.

The stuff I have, including the bass demo clips you heard while you were here, all contain the original lossless audio. In fact, many Blu Ray titles have the exact same audio tracks as the 4K UHD counterparts if they are both object-based surround.

Last edited by chucky7; 02-24-2019 at 01:56 AM.
post #11869 of 12682 Old 02-23-2019, 07:35 PM

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 606 Post(s)
Liked: 774
Quote:
Greg,

I don't have a 4k UHD player but I did just get a media streaming player that can play 4K content.

The stuff I have, including the bass demo clips you heard while you were here all contain the original lossless audio. In fact, many Blu Ray titles have the exact same audio tracks as the 4K UHD counterparts if they are both object-based surround.
I have the same bass demo clips and they aren't nearly as impressive as the real deal. Not sure if the Oppo-205 has anything to do with it, but I stream them through it anyways. I should have brought it over! I would love to see the real deal on that system!

Greg
chucky7 and llang269 like this.

Subwoofers: Dual Rythmik F18SEs - SB13 Ultra
Speakers: Martin Logan Expressions - Martin Logan ESL-C - SVS Ultra Surrounds - KEF LS50W
Audio:McIntosh C2600 Pre - Marantz SR-8012 -Dual McIntosh 601's- McIntosh MT5 - McIntosh MP100 - Oppo UDP-205 - Panamax M5300PMx2 - Apple TV 4k - BlueSound Node 2
TV: Samsung 75" Q9FN - Sony 75" 940D
post #11870 of 12682 Old 02-23-2019, 07:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3319 Post(s)
Liked: 1873
I only own a couple blu ray discs cause I stream/use my cable provider. the paid for discs I do own are a good 3-6db louder and way better dynamically. streaming just isnt same as paid for recordings from the very small use I have.
Adamg (Ret-Navy) likes this.

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5, Magnepan LRS
Subs: Rythmik FV25HP, Rythmik FV15HP
post #11871 of 12682 Old 02-23-2019, 07:47 PM

Quote:

Quote:
It's time to learn to do a proper screen capture of the REW graphs...

Click on the camera icon. set the image width to 1000(what I use) and add a title to the screen. Then enter a save as name for the screen.

It's important to post graphs that are clear and to the point. Presentation is everything.
Thanks, I didn’t know it was possible to take computer screenshot of REW measurements. Good to know, as I’m still a newbie at the software but I already find it indispensable!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8ACD2EA9-A5C8-482E-84EB-F640B94852D7.png
Views:	35
Size:	243.2 KB
ID:	2530220  
chucky7 and Adamg (Ret-Navy) like this.

Subs: JTR Captivator S1 x2 Speakers: KEF R300 (L/R), KEF R600c (Center), KEF Ci160QR x4 (Atmos), Dynaudio Audience 50 (Surrounds) Processor/Amps: Anthem AVM60, Anthem MCA325, Rotel RB985 mkII Misc: Samsung K8500, ATV 4k, Sony PS4, MiniDSP 2x4HD Video: BenQ HT2050, 100” Screen Room: 2500 cu sq. ft. sealed on suspended floor

Last edited by leehan76; 02-23-2019 at 07:56 PM.
post #11872 of 12682 Old 02-23-2019, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ereed View Post

Thanks for having me and my wife over to experience your theater in action. Enjoyed listening to those dual S1s and that movie Overlord has tons of good ULF bass.
The pleasure was all mine. It was a fun time indeed. Insane movie too (in a good way).
chucky7 likes this.

post #11873 of 12682 Old 02-23-2019, 08:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I have the same bass demo clips and they aren't nearly as impressive as the real deal. Not sure if the Oppo-205 has anything to do with it, but I stream them through it anyways. I should have brought it over! I would love to see the real deal on that system!

Greg
I don't want to get into the specifics. However, I know when playing the media with the Oppo 205 / HTPC / media streamer in a full fledged HT, the audio signal is bit-streamed (pass-thru) to the AVR to be decoded. Therefore, there isn't any audio difference as long as the media has as the same audio as the physical source.

A 4K movie streamed from Amazon or whatever does not contain the same lossless audio as the 4K UHD Blu Ray.
jamiebosco likes this.

Last edited by chucky7; 02-23-2019 at 10:35 PM.
post #11874 of 12682 Old 02-23-2019, 08:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3319 Post(s)
Liked: 1873
Quote:
I don't want to get into the specifics. However, I know when playing the media with the Oppo 205 / HTPC / media streamer in a full fledged HT, the audio signal is bit-streamed to the AVR to be decoded. Therefore, there isn't any audio difference as long as the media has as the same audio as the physical source.

A 4K movie streamed from Amazon or whatever does not contain the same lossless audio as the 4K UHD Blu Ray.

you confused me...not hard to do...but I never have heard a stream sound like a hard copy

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5, Magnepan LRS
Subs: Rythmik FV25HP, Rythmik FV15HP
post #11875 of 12682 Old 02-23-2019, 09:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks, I didn’t know it was possible to take computer screenshot of REW measurements. Good to know, as I’m still a newbie at the software but I already find it indispensable!
Yes the REW is indeed indispensable especially for those looking to take the audio in their HT to the next level. I think many HT professionals are losing business because of it

You can also install a screen capture software on the laptop/computer you use to view REW measurements. I use ScreenHunter 6.0 Free for that.

I like the green graph better. Which one is that? It also looks like the ARC is not doing what it says it will do on "Target"...
leehan76 likes this.

post #11876 of 12682 Old 02-23-2019, 09:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by torii View Post
you confused me...not hard to do...but I never have heard a stream sound like a hard copy
Let's look at it this way...

Playing Pink Floyd - The Dark Side of the Moon CD and a wav file of the same CD on a Xbox One S should sound exactly the same.
jamiebosco likes this.

Last edited by chucky7; 02-24-2019 at 01:53 AM.
post #11877 of 12682 Old 02-23-2019, 10:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 154
yep, as long as you have your device/player/software/settings correct, and the sound file data is set to 'passthru', then the AVR will do its job correctly. aka ATMOS/DTSHD will be the same as when coming from a 'physical' source/disc.
online streaming media is often re-compressed prior or realtime to adapt to user's bandwidth which means sound data as well can be degraded...
chucky7 and Bittermidget like this.

display - vizio p65
AVR x4300h +lepai 2ch amp = 7.2.4
L/C/R - Chane 2.4, SURROUND - dayton 3in cubes *temporary
BASS - 2x Seaton F18 + JTR 1400 "the wind machine" (not port noise)
2100 ft^3
post #11878 of 12682 Old 02-23-2019, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Yes the REW is indeed indispensable especially for those looking to take the audio in their HT to the next level. I think many HT professionals are losing business because of it

You can also install a screen capture software on the laptop/computer you use to view REW measurements. I use ScreenHunter 6.0 Free for that.

I like the green graph better. Which one is that? It also looks like the ARC is not doing what it says it will do on "Target"...
I’ll look into that tool too.

Thanks, the green graph is 3 PEQ’s I applied in different frequencies to flatten the curve. Right, it was dissapointing what ARC did to the response of the subs below 30hz. I may try raising ARC’s Minimum Eq. Frequency to 120hz so that would prevent ARC from applying any EQ. to subs. Alternatively I heard several suggestions of first running ARC while restoring MiniDSP’s configuration to default, as if I didn’t have a MiniDSP in my system. Then after ARC does it’s thing, I can apply any additional PEQ’s as needed. Then finally importing them back into MiniDSP. Then I can keep my MiniDSP settings without ARC trying to flatten the response. Theoretically this sounds good, just hope it works when I try it.

I’m still trying to figure out all these EQ software out. Wish there was a button to push to just get subs sounding perfect without stepping into a rabbit hole...
chucky7 likes this.

Last edited by leehan76; 02-23-2019 at 11:12 PM.
post #11879 of 12682 Old 02-24-2019, 01:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 77
So many movies I'm putting on hold to watch for the first time because I want to get these subs first. I know Jeff is playing catch up since his return but my antsy pants made me send another email just in case the first one got lost in the chaos. My current subs had enough and want to retire but can't until their replacements show up.

-groovin
post #11880 of 12682 Old 02-24-2019, 10:30 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 406
Quote:

1. ULF/LFE
2. Stunning Image
3. Immersive Sound
4. Aggressive Sequence

You have received several great suggestions that I love as well!

Specifically, the opening scene of 2049 where K is landing his ship at the farmer's place. You can hear the ship circle around ABOVE you as it lands. Love that scene. The rest of the movie is a sonic treat in both bass and immersion as well.

Interstellar - good movie, great soundtrack. The Black Hole scene is incredibly immersive and will take your house down if you are not careful. Several other really immersive scenes in this one.

Hacksaw Ridge - not an outstanding ATMOS movie but the "softening of the ridge" scene is demo worthy. It illustrates the "violence" of JTR subs which I believe comes from the speed and agility of the JTR driver/Amp pairing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page