Official JTR Speakers Subwoofer Thread - Page 405 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 22353Likes

post #12121 of 15276 Old 03-13-2019, 06:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1494 Post(s)
Liked: 1760
For anyone thinking of moving big subs, shoulder dollys literally are the easiest and best way to go about it. I do a lot of moving of huge subs and demo of buildings etc. 2 normal off the street people can easily do 350lbs-400lbs. 2 adults with even a slight bit of strength can do 500 to 600lbs. These and the forearm forklifts are 2 tools I would never go without. You could lift those 2 JTR4000's up the stairs in any configuration failry easily. I moved my 2 x Ghorns with my and my wife up and down 3 flights of stairs!! 280lbs each!
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00022749Q...s%20-%20LD1000

Otherwise, moving blankets with handles, rest the sub on the blanket, one push and one pull and slide it up or down the stairs works in a pinch.

Blasting brown notes for 20 years and counting!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12122 of 15276 Old 03-13-2019, 07:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1061 Post(s)
Liked: 1338
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
Ok, That's enough. By my count IIRC that is like 3 of the last 5 2400's that are suffering amp issues, and even more over the past year or so. It seems there is a systemic issue with the 2400 amps and if I were Jeff I would be LIVID.

No joke man, I was thinking the same. I hope they are taking care of him on this. Even if they are, I would be scoping out new vendors...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ahblaza and drh3b like this.
post #12123 of 15276 Old 03-13-2019, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 1970 Post(s)
Liked: 1962
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamg (Ret-Navy) View Post
Hi Can,

It has to do with the way the Cable Box manufacturers use/apply the HDMI CEC Pins assignment. From what I have been able to research, there is a mismatch ground pin between the Cable Box Out and the AVR in and the HDMI chain. The subs seem to be affected the most and they normally have the highest/sensitive Amps.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-s...l#post57638260

As to why they do this (the cable box manufacturers) I have no clue. But there is an easy and inexpensive fix. A HDMI Adapter that lifts the ground pin in the HDMI chain. Far safer solution than using an Electrical Outlet Cheater Plug. Here:

Lindy HDMI CEC Less Adapter, Female to Male (41232):

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DL48KVI...rum-convert-20

Thanks Adam. Very interesting read; I like the PS Audio article.

As for HDMI with CEC pin cut, has it actually worked as a solution (eliminating subwoofer hum from ground loop issue) for anyone here (real question)?

Regards, Can
My System & Theta Casablanca Mini-Review Uncontrolled passion for music, and sound.
Casablanca IVa Dirac Set Up Help HERE And some interesting audio diagrams.
JTR Subwoofer Thread I don't always listen to subwoofers, but when I do, it's JTR :-).

Last edited by cannga; 03-13-2019 at 10:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12124 of 15276 Old 03-14-2019, 02:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 77
I did a quick search and opted for this one. Its just a few dollars more but has more padding. It appears to be more comfortable not to mention dual straps for better stabilization. If it doesn't work out I'll just return it and get the original shoulder dolly. I didn't purchase it just for the subs but as a future tool to transport large items. Seems like a handy tool to have on standby. Thanks for the suggestion @N8DOGG .

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A1Y3GZ38UI6N2V

-groovin
Reddig likes this.
post #12125 of 15276 Old 03-14-2019, 04:56 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 5777 Post(s)
Liked: 4882
How long should it take to get a returned phone call from JTR for a new sale? Is he out of the country? I have a client who needs 4 to 8 subs and I much prefer to use one of the ID companies since both price and performance are better than what I can get from a Brick and Mortar Store, and the subs they typically offer. I wrote Seaton an email over three weeks ago and no response (I have been a Seaton customer for 10 years - and still am) and left a voice message with JTR a few days ago, and still no response. When I ran my own (non audio) company, ALL calls were returned within a half day, minimum.

I am now very reluctant to recommend either of these companies. If their lack of response on a new large sale opportunity is this bad, I can't even image how poor it might be if it were a real service issue. Very disappointing to say the least.
vardo and ahblaza like this.
post #12126 of 15276 Old 03-14-2019, 07:55 AM

Mentioned: 145 Post(s)
Quoted: 2760 Post(s)
Liked: 3203
Try facebook, it might work faster. It seems anything through the mobile phone these days is the fastest route, and not by a call through the mobile lol.

Building the room, speakers, and subs.
post #12127 of 15276 Old 03-14-2019, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post
Try facebook, it might work faster. It seems anything through the mobile phone these days is the fastest route, and not by a call through the mobile lol.
I have already written them off. It is not my job to try every conceivable option to contact an audio company. If a company can neither return a phone call or respond to an email on a new sales opportunity, I have zero interest in doing business with them. And based upon some PMs I have received, JTR is not very good at returning his clients calls when they have issues to be dealt with (like 2 and 3 weeks? Seriously? ). While I have no doubt his subs are first class, his Customer Service clearly needs serious work.

There are other companies who clearly do have interest in my client's business. I called, and they answered the phone!!
post #12128 of 15276 Old 03-14-2019, 10:17 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post
How long should it take to get a returned phone call from JTR for a new sale? Is he out of the country? I have a client who needs 4 to 8 subs and I much prefer to use one of the ID companies since both price and performance are better than what I can get from a Brick and Mortar Store, and the subs they typically offer. I wrote Seaton an email over three weeks ago and no response (I have been a Seaton customer for 10 years - and still am) and left a voice message with JTR a few days ago, and still no response. When I ran my own (non audio) company, ALL calls were returned within a half day, minimum.

I am now very reluctant to recommend either of these companies. If their lack of response on a new large sale opportunity is this bad, I can't even image how poor it might be if it were a real service issue. Very disappointing to say the least.

I have to agree with this. I'd hire a college kid to at least take messages. Been trying to get some rubber feet! I will try to call now....
post #12129 of 15276 Old 03-14-2019, 10:24 AM

Good things come to those who wait! I am surprised you are upset with a quote like that in your signature. We all know Jeff makes great products and he is a one man show. So expecting more is unreasonable. Before even trying to get a hold of him you should of known what to expect. If not, then the call should have never happened in the first place, no?

post #12130 of 15276 Old 03-14-2019, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Good things come to those who wait! I am surprised you are upset with a quote like that in your signature. We all know Jeff makes great products and he is a one man show. So expecting more is unreasonable. Before even trying to get a hold of him you should of known what to expect. If not, then the call should have never happened in the first place, no?
We clearly have a different view of things. "The call should never have happened". Seriously? How was I to have any idea he would not respond to a phone call? I ran a very small company (me + 2 guys working in the field and managing 500 customers as well as continually adding new ones) and responding to calls did not take multiple days. Maybe multiple hours. And that he is "one man" company shouldn't mean he can't or won't return calls. And based upon some PMs I have just received, his response to customer issues is not very good either. That he chooses to not have CS support is his choice. That I opt to do business with a company who provides better support is my choice. Clearly lots of others have no issue with lack of timely response. I don't happen to be one of them.
post #12131 of 15276 Old 03-14-2019, 11:01 AM

I did not say you don't have a choice, of course you do. I am saying everyone in this thread knows Jeff is not easy to get a hold of so anybody wanting him should expect that. This is a long thread and has been known for a long time, that is all I am saying. The link to the bible struck me because we need to be patient, kind, you name it.

post #12132 of 15276 Old 03-14-2019, 11:05 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 93
I finally got my JTR order but I was sent the 4000ULF instead of the 4000ULF-LP I asked for. That being said the drivers and port will have to be against/facing a wall instead of out into the room as a LP would.

I typically have had subwoofers in corners with the driver facing away from the wall. There would be a couple of inches between the drivers/port and wall, how much of a impact in the sound do you guys think this will make? Quick searches show that this should lower the tuning but also muddy the mid-bass, which is the bass I prefer to have sounding strong and clean.
post #12133 of 15276 Old 03-14-2019, 11:15 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 574 Post(s)
Liked: 851
Quote:
Originally Posted by smbsocal View Post
I finally got my JTR order but I was sent the 4000ULF instead of the 4000ULF-LP I asked for. That being said the drivers and port will have to be against/facing a wall instead of out into the room as a LP would.

I typically have had subwoofers in corners with the driver facing away from the wall. There would be a couple of inches between the drivers/port and wall, how much of a impact in the sound do you guys think this will make? Quick searches show that this should lower the tuning but also muddy the mid-bass, which is the bass I prefer to have sounding strong and clean.
I think I’d be having JTR call in for a freight pickup and in turn send you what you ordered.
toddct and ahblaza like this.
post #12134 of 15276 Old 03-14-2019, 11:19 AM

It sounds like Jeff is taking on too much work for himself, which means he needs to raise prices or hire help which will lead to raising prices too. If I wanted subs pronto JTR is not the company I would call, it usually takes a while to get from him.

post #12135 of 15276 Old 03-14-2019, 11:19 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Clearly lots of others have no issue with lack of timely response. I don't happen to be one of them.

I agree that the lack of CS is very frustrating. I put in a order and was told a specific shipping date, that date came and went without any word. I had to get the CC company involved to get get a response from Jeff. Forward to today, I just got my order; 2x212RTs, 1x212HTR and 1x4000ULF-LP but got a 4000ULF instead. The sub is so large and heavy not sure what to do at this point.

To be honest this is the second time I placed an order with JTR. Back in 2011 when I put my first order in he was a lot more responsive. I hate to say it but if I knew now what I did when I put the order in I probably would have gone with something else which is unfortunate.
post #12136 of 15276 Old 03-14-2019, 11:19 AM

Quote:
I did not say you don't have a choice, of course you do. I am saying everyone in this thread knows Jeff is not easy to get a hold of so anybody wanting him should expect that. This is a long thread and has been known for a long time, that is all I am saying. The link to the bible struck me because we need to be patient, kind, you name it.
My bad. I guess I should have read more of the thread to know that he was non-responsive. And I would never have tried to contact him.

Nathan Funk is also a very small company. But he answered the phone immediately when I called.

And this has nothing to do with being patient or kind. This is about a business practice I neither understand nor agree with. He may be the nicest guy in the galaxy. I just like doing business with companies who are more responsive - so I do.
post #12137 of 15276 Old 03-14-2019, 11:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 292 Post(s)
Quoted: 3568 Post(s)
Liked: 4865
Quote:

I would return it and get what you paid for. Turning the driver away from you can potentially have negative impacts and sound less clear. Plus I would not be firing those beasts into my wall close distance due to potential damage. I know some folks lost dry wall each time in such instances.

ahblaza likes this.

Subwoofers: Dual Rythmik FV18s Rev2 with Paper cone, BOSS Platform mini riser, 2 BK LFE
Speakers: PSA MTM-210 L/C/R - Klipsch 250S Surrounds, PSA MT 110sr Rear Surrounds, 4 x SVS Prime Elevation for Atmos
Video: Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 6500 UB; Room: 2100 cuft sealed on suspended floor
Receiver & Players: Denon X4400H, Oppo UDP-203, Roku Ultra. Apple TV, Minidsp 2X4 HD
post #12138 of 15276 Old 03-14-2019, 11:25 AM

Quote:
My bad. I guess I should have read more of the thread to know that he was non-responsive. And I would never have tried to contact him.

Nathan Funk is also a very small company. But he answered the phone immediately when I called.

And this has nothing to do with being patient or kind. This is about a business practice I neither understand nor agree with. He may be the nicest guy in the galaxy. I just like doing business with companies who are more responsive - so I do.
I understand, I happen to be the first JTR customer on AVS, back in 2006, waited 2 months after a 1 month quote. Like I said above, it sounds like Jeff is taking on too much business for himself.

post #12139 of 15276 Old 03-14-2019, 11:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 2456 Post(s)
Liked: 5467
Quote:
I understand, I happen to be the first JTR customer on AVS, back in 2006, waited 2 months after a 1 month quote. Like I said above, it sounds like Jeff is taking on too much business for himself.
I am not Jeff, nor a businessman, but I can't help wondering if he couldn't make things a lot easier on himself by outsourcing cabinets, at least standard finish ones. Or even hiring a bored retired audio nut or wood worker part time. There's got to be something he can do.
ahblaza likes this.
post #12140 of 15276 Old 03-14-2019, 11:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked: 1888
Maybe Jeff and Mark go into business! JM Audio

llang269 and drh3b like this.
post #12141 of 15276 Old 03-14-2019, 11:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 339 Post(s)
Quoted: 3931 Post(s)
Liked: 5593
Quote:
Originally Posted by drh3b View Post
I am not Jeff, nor a businessman, but I can't help wondering if he couldn't make things a lot easier on himself by outsourcing cabinets, at least standard finish ones. Or even hiring a bored retired audio nut or wood worker part time. There's got to be something he can do.
The cabinets are outsourced to local woodworkers.

He gets the components (drivers, SpeakerPower amps, cabinets) and puts them together.
drh3b likes this.

Speakers: L/C/R: JTR Noesis 212HT. Surrounds: Jamo C103, KEF Q100, Polk Audio RTiA3.
Subwoofer: JTR Captivator 4000ULF.
AVR: Denon AVR-X4400H. TV: Samsung UN75NU8000FXZA.
post #12142 of 15276 Old 03-14-2019, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Yes, I agree.

post #12143 of 15276 Old 03-14-2019, 11:44 AM
AVS ***** Member

Mentioned: 430 Post(s)
Quoted: 6023 Post(s)
Liked: 12363
Quote:

Quote:
I agree that the lack of CS is very frustrating. I put in a order and was told a specific shipping date, that date came and went without any word. I had to get the CC company involved to get get a response from Jeff. Forward to today, I just got my order; 2x212RTs, 1x212HTR and 1x4000ULF-LP but got a 4000ULF instead. The sub is so large and heavy not sure what to do at this point.

To be honest this is the second time I placed an order with JTR. Back in 2011 when I put my first order in he was a lot more responsive. I hate to say it but if I knew now what I did when I put the order in I probably would have gone with something else which is unfortunate.

Hi,

I'm sorry to hear about the mix-up, and I agree that you should get what you wanted, and what you ordered, so I would go ahead and contact Jeff about it ASAP. But, while you wait to hear from Jeff, and wait for an exchange, you may still be able to use the subwoofer and perhaps it will still work well for you. This is called making lemonade out of lemons.

Seriously, I wouldn't prejudge the result if I were you. I would give it a try and find out whether it will work for you, while you wait, if nothing else. I am having trouble visualizing why the subwoofer would have to face a wall? If the 4000 is going to be parallel to the front wall for instance, and near a corner, why can't it face away from the corner and back toward the display?

Subwoofers can, theoretically at least, play well regardless of the direction that they face, because the bass frequencies radiate omnidirectionally from the cabinet, anyway. But, the frequency response can change, depending on cabinet orientation, as the acoustic center of a subwoofer is the center point of the front of the driver (or between the two drivers, in this case). It is a good idea to keep the port at least 4" away from a wall, so that the airflow will be unimpeded, but there isn't necessarily a problem with a driver firing into a wall. Some people end-up getting the best frequency response that way.

You should certainly do whatever you think best here with respect to leaving the subwoofer in its packing materials, or with respect to experimenting with it while you wait to hear back from Jeff. But, I don't think you can predict that it won't sound good, due solely to its cabinet orientation. I hope this helps!

Regards,
Mike

GUIDE TO SUBWOOFER CALIBRATION AND BASS PREFERENCES

* The Guide linked above is a comprehensive guide to Audio & HT systems, including:
Speaker placements & Room treatments; HT calibration & Room EQ; Room gain; Bass
Preferences; Subwoofer Buyer's Guide: Sealed/ported; ID subs; Subwoofer placement.

Last edited by mthomas47; 03-14-2019 at 11:50 AM. Reason: Typo
post #12144 of 15276 Old 03-14-2019, 11:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Charles View Post

Yeah, I had thought the same, as I believe he is also a one man show with CS issues.
post #12145 of 15276 Old 03-14-2019, 11:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 292 Post(s)
Quoted: 3568 Post(s)
Liked: 4865
Quote:
Yeah, I had thought the same, as I believe he is also a one man show with CS issues.

Then they will have twice the orders and still not around.

They need someone to help them respond to people

ahblaza likes this.

Subwoofers: Dual Rythmik FV18s Rev2 with Paper cone, BOSS Platform mini riser, 2 BK LFE
Speakers: PSA MTM-210 L/C/R - Klipsch 250S Surrounds, PSA MT 110sr Rear Surrounds, 4 x SVS Prime Elevation for Atmos
Video: Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 6500 UB; Room: 2100 cuft sealed on suspended floor
Receiver & Players: Denon X4400H, Oppo UDP-203, Roku Ultra. Apple TV, Minidsp 2X4 HD
post #12146 of 15276 Old 03-14-2019, 11:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked: 1888
Those would be the baddest subs known to man if that ever happened!!!

llang269 likes this.
post #12147 of 15276 Old 03-14-2019, 11:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imureh View Post
Then they will have twice the orders and still not around.

They need someone to help them respond to people

I was thinking more of pooling resources to build stuff, with them stepping back some, and doing final quality control.

I don't know how much more Rythmik sells, but they have at least 3 employees, and they don't even assemble most of their subwoofers, from what I understand. I believe(could be wrong, I assume you know) that Brian assembles the bigger ones himself, but everything else is assembled overseas.

Last edited by drh3b; 03-14-2019 at 11:57 AM.
post #12148 of 15276 Old 03-14-2019, 11:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2466 Post(s)
Liked: 1765
Quote:
It sounds like Jeff is taking on too much work for himself, which means he needs to raise prices or hire help which will lead to raising prices too. If I wanted subs pronto JTR is not the company I would call, it usually takes a while to get from him.
Didn't he just increase the prices like not even a year ago?

Theater room: Sony 45es | 120" screen | Panasonic BDT500 | Rotel RMB-1077 | Outlaw Audio 976 | Klipsch RP-280F/RP-450C/RP-160M | Funk Audio 18.0L (2), 21.0LX (2 coming soon) | MiniDSP 2x4HD | Crowson Tech MAs | Surgex XR 315 | CyberPower UPS | GIK room treatments

TV Room: Panny 60 inch | Rotel RMB-1075 | Rotel RSP-1068 | Axiom Audio M60/VP150/QS8 |
post #12149 of 15276 Old 03-14-2019, 11:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2466 Post(s)
Liked: 1765
Quote:

Quote:
Those would be the baddest subs known to man if that ever happened!!!

I believe Jeff and Mark used to work together before going their separate ways.

Theater room: Sony 45es | 120" screen | Panasonic BDT500 | Rotel RMB-1077 | Outlaw Audio 976 | Klipsch RP-280F/RP-450C/RP-160M | Funk Audio 18.0L (2), 21.0LX (2 coming soon) | MiniDSP 2x4HD | Crowson Tech MAs | Surgex XR 315 | CyberPower UPS | GIK room treatments

TV Room: Panny 60 inch | Rotel RMB-1075 | Rotel RSP-1068 | Axiom Audio M60/VP150/QS8 |
post #12150 of 15276 Old 03-14-2019, 11:56 AM

It is not stopping JTR from apparently being over tasked.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page