Official JTR Speakers Subwoofer Thread - Page 424 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 18814Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #12691 of 13495 Old 07-18-2019, 06:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bulls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: L.A.
Posts: 1,206
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 170
yeah yeah numbers don't tell anything about real performance in the real world with real people ears,
we (of the avsforum/sub subforum) know that by now guys ... it's about the love and caressing sound o' 'bass' ... the fullnesss...the dynamic... the -it rattles my windows it must be the bestost woofer... and all that pile of stanky bullwax
chucky7, jamiebosco and Dave Ol like this.

display - vizio p65
AVR x4300h +lepai 2ch amp = 7.2.4
L/C/R - Chane 2.4, SURROUND - dayton 3in cubes *temporary
BASS - 2x Seaton F18 + JTR 1400 "the wind machine" (not port noise)
2100 ft^3
bulls is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12692 of 13495 Old 07-18-2019, 06:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
chucky7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Posts: 4,698
Mentioned: 299 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3577 Post(s)
Liked: 4596
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulls View Post
yeah yeah numbers don't tell anything about real performance in the real world with real people ears,
we (of the avsforum/sub subforum) know that by now guys ... it's about the love and caressing sound o' 'bass' ... the fullnesss...the dynamic... the -it rattles my windows it must be the bestost woofer... and all that pile of stanky bullwax
Yes indeed!!

Speaking of which, your 2015 Cap 1400 is lonely and needs a mate!!!
bulls and Adamg (Ret-Navy) like this.

Speakers: L/C/R: JTR Noesis 212HT. Surrounds: Jamo C103, KEF Q100, Polk Audio RTiA3.
Subwoofer: JTR Captivator 4000ULF.
AVR: Denon AVR-X4400H. TV: Samsung UN75NU8000FXZA.

FS: Jamo C103, KEF Q100 and Polk RTiA3
chucky7 is online now  
post #12693 of 13495 Old 07-18-2019, 06:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bulls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: L.A.
Posts: 1,206
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucky7 View Post
Yes indeed!!

Speaking of which, your 2015 Cap 1400 is lonely and needs a mate!!!
Yea, no drywall or foundation cracks yet ... not even police house calls... (dB limit is by 5-10 worse here than in Rancho btw ! )
bulls is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12694 of 13495 Old 07-18-2019, 07:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
FattyMcButterPants's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,660
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1061 Post(s)
Liked: 1334
Official JTR Speakers Subwoofer Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucky7 View Post
Just saw this on JTR's FB:

"We have a pair of demo 2015 Captivator 1400 subwoofers. $1400 each O.B.O."

I asked Jeff about these. He said that these are in great shape.

This is a great opportunity for those with a 2015 Cap 1400 to go dual.


Man, I figured these were gone instantly when I saw the post. I have a pair of 1400’s, and it’s pure bliss every time I turn them on.

I had a friend over to watch Edge of Tomorrow last weekend, and that opening scene had my window blinds shaking like 1/2” peak to peak... and that’s with room size turned towards small! I have never seen something like that in my own room before. Needless to say, I played it again and made my friend watch the blinds, she wasn’t as impressed LOL


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
chucky7 and bulls like this.
FattyMcButterPants is offline  
post #12695 of 13495 Old 07-18-2019, 08:29 PM
Senior Member
 
djreef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Willis, TX (Thanx Harvey!!!)
Posts: 461
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by FattyMcButterPants View Post
Man, I figured these were gone instantly when I saw the post. I have a pair of 1400’s, and it’s pure bliss every time I turn them on.

I had a friend over to watch Edge of Tomorrow last weekend, and that opening scene had my window blinds shaking like 1/2” peak to peak... and that’s with room size turned towards small! I have never seen something like that in my own room before. Needless to say, I played it again and made my friend watch the blinds, she wasn’t as impressed LOL


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chix don’t get it.
chucky7 and bulls like this.

2kW fully active, fully balanced 2 channel Vaders

Overkill IS my middle name.
djreef is offline  
post #12696 of 13495 Old 07-18-2019, 09:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bulls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: L.A.
Posts: 1,206
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucky7 View Post
Just saw this on JTR's FB:

"We have a pair of demo 2015 Captivator 1400 subwoofers. $1400 each O.B.O."

I asked Jeff about these. He said that these are in great shape.

This is a great opportunity for those with a 2015 Cap 1400 to go dual.
wait uhm is this the same amp/driver/dsp as the one u had ??

display - vizio p65
AVR x4300h +lepai 2ch amp = 7.2.4
L/C/R - Chane 2.4, SURROUND - dayton 3in cubes *temporary
BASS - 2x Seaton F18 + JTR 1400 "the wind machine" (not port noise)
2100 ft^3
bulls is offline  
post #12697 of 13495 Old 07-18-2019, 10:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
chucky7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Posts: 4,698
Mentioned: 299 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3577 Post(s)
Liked: 4596
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulls View Post
wait uhm is this the same amp/driver/dsp as the one u had ??
YES!!! They are all 2015 Captivator 1400s.

Your 2015 Cap 1400 has the 1400W SpeaperPower's Ice Power amp, the same 30mm X-max driver and DSP (LF Adjust @ half = flat outdoors). Jeff changed the DSP in 2017, with LF Adjust @ Max = flat outdoors. This means the 2015 Cap 1400 has a turbocharge button relative to later Cap 1400s.

I know you wanted one before. You NEED another one now.

Speakers: L/C/R: JTR Noesis 212HT. Surrounds: Jamo C103, KEF Q100, Polk Audio RTiA3.
Subwoofer: JTR Captivator 4000ULF.
AVR: Denon AVR-X4400H. TV: Samsung UN75NU8000FXZA.

FS: Jamo C103, KEF Q100 and Polk RTiA3
chucky7 is online now  
post #12698 of 13495 Old 07-19-2019, 07:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
srw1000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 2,929
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucky7 View Post
YES!!! They are all 2015 Captivator 1400s.

Your 2015 Cap 1400 has the 1400W SpeaperPower's Ice Power amp, the same 30mm X-max driver and DSP (LF Adjust @ half = flat outdoors). Jeff changed the DSP in 2017, with LF Adjust @ Max = flat outdoors. This means the 2015 Cap 1400 has a turbocharge button relative to later Cap 1400s.

I know you wanted one before. You NEED another one now.
And I think there still might be one left.
chucky7 likes this.

srw1000 is offline  
post #12699 of 13495 Old 07-20-2019, 12:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
chucky7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Posts: 4,698
Mentioned: 299 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3577 Post(s)
Liked: 4596
From JTR FB: While supplies last,

The Captivator 2400 is now $1,999 (20% off) + shipping ($180 to the West Coast). This is the biggest sale on the Captivator 2400!

The Captivator 118HT is now $1500 shipped (CONUS). Only 2 left at this price!

Speakers: L/C/R: JTR Noesis 212HT. Surrounds: Jamo C103, KEF Q100, Polk Audio RTiA3.
Subwoofer: JTR Captivator 4000ULF.
AVR: Denon AVR-X4400H. TV: Samsung UN75NU8000FXZA.

FS: Jamo C103, KEF Q100 and Polk RTiA3

Last edited by chucky7; 07-20-2019 at 12:57 PM.
chucky7 is online now  
post #12700 of 13495 Old 07-20-2019, 02:00 PM
Advanced Member
 
muscles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Costa Mesa, CA 92627
Posts: 559
Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 712 Post(s)
Liked: 957
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucky7 View Post
From JTR FB: While supplies last,

The Captivator 2400 is now $1,999 (20% off) + shipping ($180 to the West Coast). This is the biggest sale on the Captivator 2400!

The Captivator 118HT is now $1500 shipped (CONUS). Only 2 left at this price!

Has this newer 2400 been measured? I find it so hard to find pictures of it and the amp up close. If I am not mistaken there is a way to attenuate the lower frequencies via the amp correct? With this sale is there still a discount for multiple subs purchased at one time?


Greg

Subwoofers: Dual Rythmik F18SEs - SB13 Ultra
Speakers: Martin Logan Expressions - Martin Logan ESL-C - SVS Ultra Surrounds - KEF LS50W
Audio:McIntosh C2600 Pre - Marantz SR-8012 -Dual McIntosh 601's- McIntosh MT5 - McIntosh MP100 - Oppo UDP-205 - Panamax M5300PMx2 - Apple TV 4k - BlueSound Node 2
TV: Samsung 75" Q9FN - Sony 75" 940D
muscles is online now  
post #12701 of 13495 Old 07-20-2019, 02:46 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 293
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by muscles View Post
Has this newer 2400 been measured? I find it so hard to find pictures of it and the amp up close. If I am not mistaken there is a way to attenuate the lower frequencies via the amp correct? With this sale is there still a discount for multiple subs purchased at one time?


Greg
I just added a third 2400. Here you go:

Edit: apparently Photobucket watermarks photos now.







Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	67310480_1512764675543665_4313650781694722048_o.png
Views:	37
Size:	209.6 KB
ID:	2592872   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1680.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	733.9 KB
ID:	2592874   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1681.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	649.4 KB
ID:	2592876   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1679.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	549.9 KB
ID:	2592878  
BassMojo is online now  
post #12702 of 13495 Old 07-20-2019, 03:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
chucky7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Posts: 4,698
Mentioned: 299 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3577 Post(s)
Liked: 4596
Quote:
Originally Posted by muscles View Post
Has this newer 2400 been measured? I find it so hard to find pictures of it and the amp up close. If I am not mistaken there is a way to attenuate the lower frequencies via the amp correct? With this sale is there still a discount for multiple subs purchased at one time?

Greg
Yes, of course.

https://data-bass.com/#/systems/5ba9...f8b5?_k=hdwx1c

The amp looks the same as the 2400/4000ULF.

No further multiple discount applies.
muscles likes this.

Speakers: L/C/R: JTR Noesis 212HT. Surrounds: Jamo C103, KEF Q100, Polk Audio RTiA3.
Subwoofer: JTR Captivator 4000ULF.
AVR: Denon AVR-X4400H. TV: Samsung UN75NU8000FXZA.

FS: Jamo C103, KEF Q100 and Polk RTiA3
chucky7 is online now  
post #12703 of 13495 Old 07-20-2019, 04:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
darthray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Cold lake Alberta Canada
Posts: 6,618
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2260 Post(s)
Liked: 3283
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassMojo View Post
I just added a third 2400. Here you go:

Edit: apparently Photobucket watermarks photos now.

Thanks for the pictures since they are always appreciated, on these threads

For the watermarks, this is too bad
Photobucket use to be such a great Free Site, and then asking money to host your pictures.
Then end-up loosing lots of pictures without warning, and now this

I now use this site;
https://postimages.org/
Completely free without watermarks, and fairly easy to use.


Darth
BassMojo likes this.

Last edited by darthray; 07-20-2019 at 04:55 PM.
darthray is offline  
post #12704 of 13495 Old 07-20-2019, 04:53 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 293
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 372
Awesome, thanks for the suggestion. I’ll start using this one.
darthray likes this.
BassMojo is online now  
post #12705 of 13495 Old 07-20-2019, 05:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
chucky7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Posts: 4,698
Mentioned: 299 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3577 Post(s)
Liked: 4596
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassMojo View Post
Awesome, thanks for the suggestion. I’️ll start using this one.
I use imgur. Try it.
BassMojo likes this.

Speakers: L/C/R: JTR Noesis 212HT. Surrounds: Jamo C103, KEF Q100, Polk Audio RTiA3.
Subwoofer: JTR Captivator 4000ULF.
AVR: Denon AVR-X4400H. TV: Samsung UN75NU8000FXZA.

FS: Jamo C103, KEF Q100 and Polk RTiA3
chucky7 is online now  
post #12706 of 13495 Old 07-20-2019, 05:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
darthray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Cold lake Alberta Canada
Posts: 6,618
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2260 Post(s)
Liked: 3283
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassMojo View Post
Awesome, thanks for the suggestion. I’ll start using this one.
Give them a try
Just for your personal information, when it come to computer stuff. I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer. But now, I can snap a picture. Put my memory card in my computer to download. Then post a picture on this forum within 15 minutes.

Not too bad for an old Cat, that when it come to computer/smart phone. Is still in the dinosaur ages (my wife has a smart phone, mine is a good flip flop and proud of it).

Hope you enjoy my link.


Darth
shivaji and BassMojo like this.
darthray is offline  
post #12707 of 13495 Old 07-20-2019, 06:45 PM
Advanced Member
 
muscles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Costa Mesa, CA 92627
Posts: 559
Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 712 Post(s)
Liked: 957
After looking at the data-bass numbers it almost looks like the JTR Captivator 1400 was a better design. It has more output where it would be usable. I don't use BEQ so I don't see much advantage to emphasizing the sub 16hz frequencies (just an opinion, dont get crazy lol). This is geared for BEQ users correct? I only know of a handful of movies with sub 20hz content, certainly not enough to tune a sub to those frequencies. Anyone shed any light on this? Is there another reason?



Greg
turbojohngt likes this.

Subwoofers: Dual Rythmik F18SEs - SB13 Ultra
Speakers: Martin Logan Expressions - Martin Logan ESL-C - SVS Ultra Surrounds - KEF LS50W
Audio:McIntosh C2600 Pre - Marantz SR-8012 -Dual McIntosh 601's- McIntosh MT5 - McIntosh MP100 - Oppo UDP-205 - Panamax M5300PMx2 - Apple TV 4k - BlueSound Node 2
TV: Samsung 75" Q9FN - Sony 75" 940D

Last edited by muscles; 07-20-2019 at 08:05 PM.
muscles is online now  
post #12708 of 13495 Old 07-20-2019, 09:50 PM
Senior Member
 
Dave Ol's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Brentwood, CA
Posts: 212
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by muscles View Post
After looking at the data-bass numbers it almost looks like the JTR Captivator 1400 was a better design. It has more output where it would be usable. I don't use BEQ so I don't see much advantage to emphasizing the sub 16hz frequencies (just an opinion, dont get crazy lol). This is geared for BEQ users correct? I only know of a handful of movies with sub 20hz content, certainly not enough to tune a sub to those frequencies. Anyone shed any light on this? Is there another reason?

Greg

The lower tuned subs tend to add some weight to the bass even on bass above 20hz. This is my experience (used to own a JTR2400, now a PSA TV36 ipal) as well as many others that have a low tuned sub. I really like it and it adds a lot to the movie viewing experience.

Note: I don't use BEQ either, but even without it, the lower tuned subs add to the experience.
zorax2, muscles and BassMojo like this.
Dave Ol is offline  
post #12709 of 13495 Old 07-20-2019, 10:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
chucky7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Posts: 4,698
Mentioned: 299 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3577 Post(s)
Liked: 4596
Quote:
Originally Posted by muscles View Post
After looking at the data-bass numbers it almost looks like the JTR Captivator 1400 was a better design. It has more output where it would be usable. I don't use BEQ so I don't see much advantage to emphasizing the sub 16hz frequencies (just an opinion, dont get crazy lol). This is geared for BEQ users correct? I only know of a handful of movies with sub 20hz content, certainly not enough to tune a sub to those frequencies. Anyone shed any light on this? Is there another reason?

Greg
I wouldn't say the Cap 1400 is a better design. It is definitely more mainstream. It is JTR's first active sub tuned to 17Hz and priced under $2000 plus shipping.

BEQ actually became popular after LT ported became more common.

Back in the days, if your goal is reference capable down to single digits, your only choice would be multiple sealed subs. The bigger the room, the more you need. However, 2 sealed subs just don't provide the same amount of TR from 2 ported. A 17Hz tuned ported certainly is more efficient from 16~40Hz. Below the port tune, its output drops like a cliff.

JTR's design philosophy is always about filling a niche. Jeff saw a market for 10Hz tuned ported subs so he created the Cap 4000ULF. The 2400ULF was the 4000ULF scaled down. The 2400 was the 1400 tuned to 10Hz.

I believe Jeff decided to lower the 1400's 17Hz port tune to the 2400's 10Hz because there are a lot of competition in <$2000 market. The Cap 1400 was selling for $2199 + shipping. Therefore, for $300 more ( and $2,200 now shipped!!! ), bassheads can get a Cap 2400 that covers down to 10Hz and is much more efficient than a sealed around port tune. With 2 of them, most rooms can be 110dB capable down to 10Hz.

Further, there is sonic advantage. Though JTR excels at clamping down the port noise while maximizing the port wind, the 17Hz tuned Cap 1400 is not immune to chuffing from movies with super hot content at ~20Hz, which are much more common than those with super hot content at single digits.

The 10Hz tuned Cap 2400 also creates enough product differentiation because most people would go for the Cap 1400 (@$2199) rather than the Cap 118HT ($1699).

Speakers: L/C/R: JTR Noesis 212HT. Surrounds: Jamo C103, KEF Q100, Polk Audio RTiA3.
Subwoofer: JTR Captivator 4000ULF.
AVR: Denon AVR-X4400H. TV: Samsung UN75NU8000FXZA.

FS: Jamo C103, KEF Q100 and Polk RTiA3

Last edited by chucky7; 07-20-2019 at 10:31 PM.
chucky7 is online now  
post #12710 of 13495 Old 07-20-2019, 10:37 PM
Advanced Member
 
muscles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Costa Mesa, CA 92627
Posts: 559
Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 712 Post(s)
Liked: 957
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucky7 View Post
I wouldn't say the Cap 1400 is a better design. It is definitely more mainstream. It is JTR's first active sub tuned to 17Hz and priced under $2000 plus shipping.

BEQ actually became popular after LT ported became more common.

Back in the days, if your goal is reference capable down to single digits, your only choice would be multiple sealed subs. The bigger the room, the more you need. However, 2 sealed subs just don't provide the same amount of TR from 2 ported. A 17Hz tuned ported certainly is more efficient from 16~40Hz. Below the port tune, its output drops like a cliff.

JTR's design philosophy is always about filling a niche. Jeff saw a market for 10Hz tuned ported subs so he created the Cap 4000ULF. The 2400ULF was the 4000ULF scaled down. The 2400 was the 1400 tuned to 10Hz.

I believe Jeff decided to lower the 1400's 17Hz port tune to the 2400's 10Hz because there are a lot of competition in <$2000 market. The Cap 1400 was selling for $2199 + shipping. Therefore, for $300 more ( and $2,200 now shipped!!! ), bassheads can get a Cap 2400 that covers down to 10Hz and is much more efficient than a sealed around port tune. With 2 of them, most rooms can be 110dB capable down to 10Hz.

Further, there is sonic advantage. Though JTR excels at clamping down the port noise while maximizing the port wind, the 17Hz tuned Cap 1400 is not immune to chuffing from movies with super hot content at ~20Hz, which are much more common than those with super hot content at single digits.

The 10Hz tuned Cap 2400 also creates enough product differentiation because most people would go for the Cap 1400 (@$2199) rather than the Cap 118HT ($1699).

Now this is a response! Thanks for the clarification Chucky. That makes a lot more sense now. I have owned almost all brands except JTR. I know there is a way on the back of the amp to turn down lower frequencies? If this is possible I could run the for a bit in my current setup, I just have to watch the low frequencies because of my HOA. I was kicking around the idea of buying this during the sale and using them until I get a new house (within a year). I want to keep my Sealed subs and perhaps go music only in an office or extra bedroom. Not sure if I can justify spending this much on subs that will go unused for a while. Decisions....decisions.
chucky7 likes this.

Subwoofers: Dual Rythmik F18SEs - SB13 Ultra
Speakers: Martin Logan Expressions - Martin Logan ESL-C - SVS Ultra Surrounds - KEF LS50W
Audio:McIntosh C2600 Pre - Marantz SR-8012 -Dual McIntosh 601's- McIntosh MT5 - McIntosh MP100 - Oppo UDP-205 - Panamax M5300PMx2 - Apple TV 4k - BlueSound Node 2
TV: Samsung 75" Q9FN - Sony 75" 940D
muscles is online now  
post #12711 of 13495 Old 07-20-2019, 11:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
chucky7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Posts: 4,698
Mentioned: 299 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3577 Post(s)
Liked: 4596
Quote:
Originally Posted by muscles View Post
Now this is a response! Thanks for the clarification Chucky. That makes a lot more sense now. I have owned almost all brands except JTR. I know there is a way on the back of the amp to turn down lower frequencies? If this is possible I could run the for a bit in my current setup, I just have to watch the low frequencies because of my HOA. I was kicking around the idea of buying this during the sale and using them until I get a new house (within a year). I want to keep my Sealed subs and perhaps go music only in an office or extra bedroom. Not sure if I can justify spending this much on subs that will go unused for a while. Decisions....decisions.
You're quite welcome!

Remember when you were at my place, I had the LF Adjust at 3 clicks and the bass was very subtle, then I turned it up to the max (10 clicks) thus provided the complete JTR experience?


The yellow graph was with the LF Adjust at the minimum.
The orange graph, at 3 clicks.
The green graph, at 6 clicks.
The blue graph, at 10 clicks, the maximum.

The difference between 3 clicks and 10 clicks? @ 20Hz , the output was 50% more (+3dB). @ 15Hz, the output doubled (+6dB). @ 10Hz, the output more than quadrupled (+13dB).

You are more than welcome to come by and relive that experience...
zorax2, serith, bulls and 3 others like this.

Speakers: L/C/R: JTR Noesis 212HT. Surrounds: Jamo C103, KEF Q100, Polk Audio RTiA3.
Subwoofer: JTR Captivator 4000ULF.
AVR: Denon AVR-X4400H. TV: Samsung UN75NU8000FXZA.

FS: Jamo C103, KEF Q100 and Polk RTiA3

Last edited by chucky7; 07-21-2019 at 02:39 PM.
chucky7 is online now  
post #12712 of 13495 Old 07-21-2019, 05:19 PM
Advanced Member
 
muscles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Costa Mesa, CA 92627
Posts: 559
Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 712 Post(s)
Liked: 957
What about the amps that ship with the 2400's? Do they still have any problems? Not too happy if they hum or go out intermittently. Anyone received one recently that can comment on the QC of these going out?


Greg

Subwoofers: Dual Rythmik F18SEs - SB13 Ultra
Speakers: Martin Logan Expressions - Martin Logan ESL-C - SVS Ultra Surrounds - KEF LS50W
Audio:McIntosh C2600 Pre - Marantz SR-8012 -Dual McIntosh 601's- McIntosh MT5 - McIntosh MP100 - Oppo UDP-205 - Panamax M5300PMx2 - Apple TV 4k - BlueSound Node 2
TV: Samsung 75" Q9FN - Sony 75" 940D
muscles is online now  
post #12713 of 13495 Old 07-21-2019, 06:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
imureh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 4,574
Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2865 Post(s)
Liked: 3594
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucky7 View Post
most people would go for the Cap 1400 (@$2199) rather than the Cap 118HT ($1699).
That is what had prompted me to try out the Cap 1400 and then the 2400 ULF but my favorite JTR sub is the 118HT and at the $1599 shipped price was a steal. That accordion style driver comes close to the PA drivers that are being raved about these days. What I mean to say is that they both have their place in the line up but I think the 118HT holds its own against all of it bigger brothers...
chucky7 and jamiebosco like this.

Subwoofers: Dual Rythmik FV18s Rev2 with Paper cone, BOSS Platform mini riser, 2 BK LFE
Speakers: PSA MTM-210 L/C/R - Klipsch 250S Surrounds, PSA MT 110sr Rear Surrounds, 4 x SVS Prime Elevation for Atmos
Video: Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 6500 UB; Room: 2100 cuft sealed on suspended floor
Receiver & Players: Denon X4400H, Oppo UDP-203, Roku Ultra. Apple TV, Minidsp 2X4 HD
imureh is offline  
post #12714 of 13495 Old 07-21-2019, 06:11 PM
Senior Member
 
turbojohngt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 336
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucky7 View Post
I wouldn't say the Cap 1400 is a better design. It is definitely more mainstream. It is JTR's first active sub tuned to 17Hz and priced under $2000 plus shipping.

BEQ actually became popular after LT ported became more common.

Back in the days, if your goal is reference capable down to single digits, your only choice would be multiple sealed subs. The bigger the room, the more you need. However, 2 sealed subs just don't provide the same amount of TR from 2 ported. A 17Hz tuned ported certainly is more efficient from 16~40Hz. Below the port tune, its output drops like a cliff.

JTR's design philosophy is always about filling a niche. Jeff saw a market for 10Hz tuned ported subs so he created the Cap 4000ULF. The 2400ULF was the 4000ULF scaled down. The 2400 was the 1400 tuned to 10Hz.

I believe Jeff decided to lower the 1400's 17Hz port tune to the 2400's 10Hz because there are a lot of competition in <$2000 market. The Cap 1400 was selling for $2199 + shipping. Therefore, for $300 more ( and $2,200 now shipped!!! ), bassheads can get a Cap 2400 that covers down to 10Hz and is much more efficient than a sealed around port tune. With 2 of them, most rooms can be 110dB capable down to 10Hz.

Further, there is sonic advantage. Though JTR excels at clamping down the port noise while maximizing the port wind, the 17Hz tuned Cap 1400 is not immune to chuffing from movies with super hot content at ~20Hz, which are much more common than those with super hot content at single digits.

The 10Hz tuned Cap 2400 also creates enough product differentiation because most people would go for the Cap 1400 (@$2199) rather than the Cap 118HT ($1699).

I have to admit I do wonder what I would notice if anything going from dual 1400’s in my 2300 cubic ft room to dual 2400’s 🤔
chucky7 likes this.
turbojohngt is offline  
post #12715 of 13495 Old 07-21-2019, 06:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
chucky7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Posts: 4,698
Mentioned: 299 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3577 Post(s)
Liked: 4596
Quote:
Originally Posted by muscles View Post
What about the amps that ship with the 2400's? Do they still have any problems? Not too happy if they hum or go out intermittently. Anyone received one recently that can comment on the QC of these going out?

Greg
I know a member in the Bay area got 2 2400ULFs at the end of May. No hum and no problem with the amp.

It is preposterous to think that JTR would send out products without proper QC and extensive testing.

Speakers: L/C/R: JTR Noesis 212HT. Surrounds: Jamo C103, KEF Q100, Polk Audio RTiA3.
Subwoofer: JTR Captivator 4000ULF.
AVR: Denon AVR-X4400H. TV: Samsung UN75NU8000FXZA.

FS: Jamo C103, KEF Q100 and Polk RTiA3
chucky7 is online now  
post #12716 of 13495 Old 07-21-2019, 06:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
chucky7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Posts: 4,698
Mentioned: 299 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3577 Post(s)
Liked: 4596
Quote:
Originally Posted by imureh View Post
That is what had prompted me to try out the Cap 1400 and then the 2400 ULF but my favorite JTR sub is the 118HT and at the $1599 shipped price was a steal. That accordion style driver comes close to the PA drivers that are being raved about these days. What I mean to say is that they both have their place in the line up but I think the 118HT holds its own against all of it bigger brothers...
The 2018 Cap 118HT is $1500 shipped now. Only 2 left at this price.

I would say your room doesn't like the JTR 33mm X-Max driver... The Cap 1400 is a step up from the Cap 118HT. Most rooms can benefit from more ULF output and TR from the Cap 1400.

Speakers: L/C/R: JTR Noesis 212HT. Surrounds: Jamo C103, KEF Q100, Polk Audio RTiA3.
Subwoofer: JTR Captivator 4000ULF.
AVR: Denon AVR-X4400H. TV: Samsung UN75NU8000FXZA.

FS: Jamo C103, KEF Q100 and Polk RTiA3
chucky7 is online now  
post #12717 of 13495 Old 07-21-2019, 06:30 PM
Advanced Member
 
muscles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Costa Mesa, CA 92627
Posts: 559
Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 712 Post(s)
Liked: 957
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucky7 View Post
I know a member in the Bay area got 2 2400ULFs at the end of May. No hum and no problem with the amp.

It is preposterous to think that JTR would send out products without proper QC and extensive testing.

Oh, that's not what I meant. I know he received a bad batch. I wasn't trying to disparage JTR. I was more trying to convince myself that it was good enough to warrant the 4500$ outlay to purchase I suppose I should wait until I get a bigger house first....arrrgh.


Greg

Subwoofers: Dual Rythmik F18SEs - SB13 Ultra
Speakers: Martin Logan Expressions - Martin Logan ESL-C - SVS Ultra Surrounds - KEF LS50W
Audio:McIntosh C2600 Pre - Marantz SR-8012 -Dual McIntosh 601's- McIntosh MT5 - McIntosh MP100 - Oppo UDP-205 - Panamax M5300PMx2 - Apple TV 4k - BlueSound Node 2
TV: Samsung 75" Q9FN - Sony 75" 940D
muscles is online now  
post #12718 of 13495 Old 07-21-2019, 10:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
chucky7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Posts: 4,698
Mentioned: 299 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3577 Post(s)
Liked: 4596
Quote:
Originally Posted by muscles View Post
Oh, that's not what I meant. I know he received a bad batch. I wasn't trying to disparage JTR. I was more trying to convince myself that it was good enough to warrant the 4500$ outlay to purchase I suppose I should wait until I get a bigger house first....arrrgh.

Greg
I know you are not.

Jeff's is a one man show. Any amount of time/energy/expense Jeff spends on CS due to bad amps is the time/energy/expense that he can't use to answer calls/reply emails regarding product inquiry or assemble and perfect his products. Therefore, cutting corners on QC is not cost effective for JTR.
jamiebosco, muscles and llang269 like this.

Speakers: L/C/R: JTR Noesis 212HT. Surrounds: Jamo C103, KEF Q100, Polk Audio RTiA3.
Subwoofer: JTR Captivator 4000ULF.
AVR: Denon AVR-X4400H. TV: Samsung UN75NU8000FXZA.

FS: Jamo C103, KEF Q100 and Polk RTiA3

Last edited by chucky7; 07-22-2019 at 02:39 PM.
chucky7 is online now  
post #12719 of 13495 Old 07-23-2019, 09:54 AM
Member
 
nirosha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: North Jersey
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I was lucky enough to get 2 demo Cap 1400s and Jeff is going to ship them this week. I already have 2017 tall Cap 2400ULF. Seems 1400s are slightly different (e.g. LF Adjust) as they were built in 2015. I really appreciate if you can share your expert thoughts/recommendations.
chucky7 and srw1000 like this.
nirosha is offline  
post #12720 of 13495 Old 07-23-2019, 10:02 AM
Member
 
DennisPagoulatos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Northern CA
Posts: 132
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by muscles View Post
What about the amps that ship with the 2400's? Do they still have any problems? Not too happy if they hum or go out intermittently. Anyone received one recently that can comment on the QC of these going out?


Greg
I've had my Cap 4000 since early May- the amp is dead quiet on my system, even if I put my ear up to the drivers- no cheater plug or filtering was needed. It is plugged into a dedicated 20 amp circuit.
chucky7 and muscles like this.
DennisPagoulatos is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off