Official JTR Speakers Subwoofer Thread - Page 441 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 18722Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #13201 of 13411 Old 09-17-2019, 10:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
desertdome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Blair, NE
Posts: 3,780
Mentioned: 315 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1535 Post(s)
Liked: 1837
Quote:
Originally Posted by llang269 View Post
That sounds like an awesome video set up! Maybe add the Lumagen to take it to the best it can get. I don’t want to derail the thread can you pm your thoughts on the Paladin Dcr?
I used the Lumagen Pro two years ago at AXPONA for tone mapping and 3D LUT. Last year I used madVR. Next year I'll probably allow the PJ to do the tone mapping, but will use either a Lumagen or madVR for the 3D LUT. The only way to calibrate a PJ for a show is with a 3D LUT. We only have one day for setup and audio/video calibration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottieBoysName View Post
That’s the exact setup I’m rolling now, an N7 with the DCR lens. JVC drops a new firmware in October that will add Dynamic Tone Mapping - should look amazing.

What speakers will you use for the mains? 215RTs?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC3 View Post
Ok- since I just bought an NX7 from you...great choice...on the speaker and subwoofer side- 7 215RM's running both full range (LFE) and running small with 2 ULF 4000's for sound (or 2 S2's sealed). Be able to toggle back and forth...that's my vote, LOL...
We haven't decided yet on mains, but I would like 215RT's because they sound so good for two channel listening. The 215RM's are hard to implement in a show since they all need stands. We also do 9 base layer speakers. I do like the idea of running all sealed and the Captivator RS2 subwoofers are brand new and would make for a nice setup.

Ponderosa Theater
High Impact AV
- ISF Level III Video Calibrator, THX-HAA HT3 Audio Designer/Calibrator
desertdome is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #13202 of 13411 Old 09-17-2019, 10:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ScottieBoysName's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,981
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1255 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdome View Post
I used the Lumagen Pro two years ago at AXPONA for tone mapping and 3D LUT. Last year I used madVR. Next year I'll probably allow the PJ to do the tone mapping, but will use either a Lumagen or madVR for the 3D LUT. The only way to calibrate a PJ for a show is with a 3D LUT. We only have one day for setup and audio/video calibration.









We haven't decided yet on mains, but I would like 215RT's because they sound so good for two channel listening. The 215RM's are hard to implement in a show since they all need stands. We also do 9 base layer speakers. I do like the idea of running all sealed and the Captivator RS2 subwoofers are brand new and would make for a nice setup.


The 215RTs are always show stoppers for sure.
ScottieBoysName is online now  
post #13203 of 13411 Old 09-17-2019, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
cannga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Palos Verdes - Lakers Land
Posts: 3,406
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1900 Post(s)
Liked: 1845
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdome View Post
I used the Lumagen Pro two years ago at AXPONA for tone mapping and 3D LUT. Last year I used madVR. Next year I'll probably allow the PJ to do the tone mapping, but will use either a Lumagen or madVR for the 3D LUT. The only way to calibrate a PJ for a show is with a 3D LUT. We only have one day for setup and audio/video calibration.

We haven't decided yet on mains, but I would like 215RT's because they sound so good for two channel listening. The 215RM's are hard to implement in a show since they all need stands. We also do 9 base layer speakers. I do like the idea of running all sealed and the Captivator RS2 subwoofers are brand new and would make for a nice setup.
Always interesting to hear the the thought process of a pro. Although I would admit the video portion is a bit over my head. 😅
cannga is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #13204 of 13411 Old 09-17-2019, 03:25 PM
Member
 
DennisPagoulatos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Northern CA
Posts: 132
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 119
I've been seriously thinking of upgrading to Atmos (5.1.4) and am trying to find a way to make 215RTs fit in my system but to make it work I would have to do some re-configuring of my room.
My thought process on the 215s vs the 212s or 210s which Jeff assures me will be more than enough in just about any room is to be able to run the 215s full range without a sub for 2 channel music listening and cross them over to my Cap 4000 for surround sound duties (movies, concerts, gaming).
For a center channel I'm thinking of a 215RM (for you know, symmetry...), 4 8HT slanted on ceiling for Atmos duty and maybe 212 HTRs on stands for side surrounds at ear height.

What do you guys think -is this talking crazy or am I on the right path?
BassMojo likes this.
DennisPagoulatos is offline  
post #13205 of 13411 Old 09-17-2019, 03:46 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 292
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisPagoulatos View Post
I've been seriously thinking of upgrading to Atmos (5.1.4) and am trying to find a way to make 215RTs fit in my system but to make it work I would have to do some re-configuring of my room.
My thought process on the 215s vs the 212s or 210s which Jeff assures me will be more than enough in just about any room is to be able to run the 215s full range without a sub for 2 channel music listening and cross them over to my Cap 4000 for surround sound duties (movies, concerts, gaming).
For a center channel I'm thinking of a 215RM (for you know, symmetry...), 4 8HT slanted on ceiling for Atmos duty and maybe 212 HTRs on stands for side surrounds at ear height.

What do you guys think -is this talking crazy or am I on the right path?
Absolutely crazy, and you will love it! You will want some serious amplification for the 215s if you want to get the most out them without subs.
DennisPagoulatos likes this.
BassMojo is offline  
post #13206 of 13411 Old 09-17-2019, 04:14 PM
Member
 
DennisPagoulatos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Northern CA
Posts: 132
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassMojo View Post
Absolutely crazy, and you will love it! You will want some serious amplification for the 215s if you want to get the most out them without subs.
Yes, I'd have to spring for a beefy 2 channel amp to run the 215s full range.
When it comes to this hobby, you may not be the right guy to ask for an opinion on what constitutes crazy but I'll go with it and solicit more opinions from the rest of the gang!
DennisPagoulatos is offline  
post #13207 of 13411 Old 09-17-2019, 04:19 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 292
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisPagoulatos View Post
Yes, I'd have to spring for a beefy 2 channel amp to run the 215s full range.
When it comes to this hobby, you may not be the right guy to ask for an opinion on what constitutes crazy but I'll go with it and solicit more opinions from the rest of the gang!
That made for a good laugh out loud chuckle, thanks.
BassMojo is offline  
post #13208 of 13411 Old 09-17-2019, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
cannga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Palos Verdes - Lakers Land
Posts: 3,406
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1900 Post(s)
Liked: 1845
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisPagoulatos View Post
When it comes to this hobby, you may not be the right guy to ask for an opinion on what constitutes crazy but I'll go with it and solicit more opinions from the rest of the gang!
Haha too funny. Yeah the first clue is our friend's forum handle.
I AM jealous of his twin monsters though.

Regards, Can
My System & Theta Casablanca Mini-Review (CB IVa setup help HERE) Uncontrolled passion for music, and sound.
Interesting Audio Diagrams :-) & High-End Speaker Reviews
JTR Subwoofer Thread I don't always listen to subwoofers, but when I do, it's JTR :-).
cannga is offline  
post #13209 of 13411 Old 09-18-2019, 02:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ScottieBoysName's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,981
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1255 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisPagoulatos View Post
Yes, I'd have to spring for a beefy 2 channel amp to run the 215s full range.

When it comes to this hobby, you may not be the right guy to ask for an opinion on what constitutes crazy but I'll go with it and solicit more opinions from the rest of the gang!


You’d also have to find a way to run the LFE single to the mains as well, correct?
ScottieBoysName is online now  
post #13210 of 13411 Old 09-18-2019, 09:04 AM
Member
 
DennisPagoulatos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Northern CA
Posts: 132
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottieBoysName View Post
You’d also have to find a way to run the LFE single to the mains as well, correct?
I think I'd run my subs via the LFE output and let my processor handle the 2 channel processing for music. Of course, things can get significantly more complicated and expensive if I use a separate pre-amp for music but I'm still hoping to keep the electronics relatively simple.
Ultimately, it all depends on how it sounds but so far I really like the sound of the Yamaha CX-A5100 for both movies and music so I anticipate keeping it in the mix as my processor for a long time.
DennisPagoulatos is offline  
post #13211 of 13411 Old 09-18-2019, 10:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ScottieBoysName's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,981
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1255 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisPagoulatos View Post
I think I'd run my subs via the LFE output and let my processor handle the 2 channel processing for music. Of course, things can get significantly more complicated and expensive if I use a separate pre-amp for music but I'm still hoping to keep the electronics relatively simple.

Ultimately, it all depends on how it sounds but so far I really like the sound of the Yamaha CX-A5100 for both movies and music so I anticipate keeping it in the mix as my processor for a long time.


I think a lot of folks are actually pushing LFE via processing (MiniDSP) to the mains if they have 215RTs due to them being so capable.

That was actually my plan before I just went 212RTs.
tebling and DennisPagoulatos like this.
ScottieBoysName is online now  
post #13212 of 13411 Old 09-18-2019, 11:04 AM
Member
 
DennisPagoulatos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Northern CA
Posts: 132
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottieBoysName View Post
I think a lot of folks are actually pushing LFE via processing (MiniDSP) to the mains if they have 215RTs due to them being so capable.

That was actually my plan before I just went 212RTs.
So just use a MiniDSP to tame the the response a bit and run them full range for music? Are people using the MiniDSP to tame the bass response or the entire frequency spectrum on the 215RTs?
DennisPagoulatos is offline  
post #13213 of 13411 Old 09-18-2019, 11:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ScottieBoysName's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,981
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1255 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisPagoulatos View Post
So just use a MiniDSP to tame the the response a bit and run them full range for music? Are people using the MiniDSP to tame the bass response or the entire frequency spectrum on the 215RTs?


I can’t actually remember. Maybe someone here will chime in. Hmmmm. I might be able to find it from Jeff, he’s the one that told me that was a huge advantage of the 215RTs, and suggested I process it that way. That’s when I was looking at them. I was gonna run several 215RTs with no sub. I’d pass LFE to LCR in that instance.

Perhaps that was why he suggested it. I was gonna run with no sub.

I’d check in the JTR Speaker thread.
DennisPagoulatos likes this.
ScottieBoysName is online now  
post #13214 of 13411 Old 09-23-2019, 10:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ScottieBoysName's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,981
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1255 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Does anyone know if the warranty on JTR subs is transferable? Or is it original owner only?
ScottieBoysName is online now  
post #13215 of 13411 Old 09-23-2019, 12:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
zeus33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 4,116
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1821 Post(s)
Liked: 1871
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottieBoysName View Post
Does anyone know if the warranty on JTR subs is transferable? Or is it original owner only?

I'm pretty sure it is. @Jeff Permanian can take care of it for you.
zeus33 is offline  
post #13216 of 13411 Old 09-23-2019, 12:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ScottieBoysName's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,981
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1255 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus33 View Post
I'm pretty sure it is. @Jeff Permanian can take care of it for you.


Gotcha. Thanks. I’ve also heard that I can convert the 14hz version of the 2400ULF to the 10hz version by plugging one of the ports. Chucky I believe you told me that as well.

Is that possible/correct without changing the DSP/settings as well?
ScottieBoysName is online now  
post #13217 of 13411 Old 09-23-2019, 04:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
chucky7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Posts: 4,692
Mentioned: 299 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3569 Post(s)
Liked: 4591
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottieBoysName View Post
Gotcha. Thanks. I’ve also heard that I can convert the 14hz version of the 2400ULF to the 10hz version by plugging one of the ports. Chucky I believe you told me that as well.

Is that possible/correct without changing the DSP/settings as well?
JTR's product warranties are transferrable.

Yes, the conversion can be done. However, you would have to Jeff about how much port to stuff. You would also have to send in the sub amp to reprogram the DSP.

Speakers: L/C/R: JTR Noesis 212HT. Surrounds: Jamo C103, KEF Q100, Polk Audio RTiA3.
Subwoofer: JTR Captivator 4000ULF.
AVR: Denon AVR-X4400H. TV: Samsung UN75NU8000FXZA.

FS: Jamo C103, KEF Q100 and Polk RTiA3

Last edited by chucky7; 09-23-2019 at 05:04 PM.
chucky7 is online now  
post #13218 of 13411 Old 09-23-2019, 05:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ScottieBoysName's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,981
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1255 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucky7 View Post
JTR's product warranties are transferrable.

Yes, the conversion can be done. However, you would have to Jeff about how much port to stuff. You would also have to send in the sub amp to reprogram the DSP.


Thanks Chucky!
ScottieBoysName is online now  
post #13219 of 13411 Old 09-27-2019, 11:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
chucky7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Posts: 4,692
Mentioned: 299 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3569 Post(s)
Liked: 4591
Just finished watching Spider-Man: Far from Home in 4K Atmos. I wasn't that impressed with the bass. It was potent but seemed to be missing some depth...

As shown in the graph,


It is a mid bass monster and does not dig low.

The directional effect, however, was much more impressive. I don't have Atmos speakers installed but I heard rich voices panning all over the place. This is definitely surround demo worthy.

Speakers: L/C/R: JTR Noesis 212HT. Surrounds: Jamo C103, KEF Q100, Polk Audio RTiA3.
Subwoofer: JTR Captivator 4000ULF.
AVR: Denon AVR-X4400H. TV: Samsung UN75NU8000FXZA.

FS: Jamo C103, KEF Q100 and Polk RTiA3

Last edited by chucky7; 09-28-2019 at 03:39 AM.
chucky7 is online now  
post #13220 of 13411 Old 09-28-2019, 02:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
serith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: syracuse, ny
Posts: 1,063
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 816 Post(s)
Liked: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucky7 View Post
Just finished watching Spider-Man: Far from Home in 4K Atmos. I wasn't that impressed with the bass. It was potent but with missing some depth...

As shown in the graph,


It is a mid bass monster and does not dig low.

The directional effect, however, was much more impressive. I don't have Atmos speakers installed but I heard rich voices panning all over the place. This is definitely surround demo worthy.
i just started watching that movie tonight. i've been using my room again sans subwoofers and it's still really enjoyable even without, which i find interesting. i think it'll make me appreciate whatever subs i end up with in the future that much more though. i'm actually really impressed with the psa speakers--maybe more now than before when i had the rythmik subs paired with them. i've changed the psa's from small to large in the receiver and played with the crossover a bit. watching movies in my basement now feels very similar to watching them in a paid cinema--no low end to speak of but a lot of mid-bass for sure. i look forward to having proper subs in the room again but i'm in no hurry to get there.
ahblaza and subacabra like this.


7.0.6 / 1700 ft³ / PSA MTM-210T³ / Epson HC 2150 / 147" AT 2.39:1 Spandex Screen / Seatcraft Rialto³ / Velvet Everywhere / Chasing LFE
serith is online now  
post #13221 of 13411 Old 09-28-2019, 09:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ScottieBoysName's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,981
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1255 Post(s)
Liked: 429
The 2400ULFs have been sold!

Only a few more weeks until my pair of 4000ULFs get here.
mbw23air, chucky7, serith and 5 others like this.
ScottieBoysName is online now  
post #13222 of 13411 Old 09-28-2019, 01:53 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Nothing to add to this thread currently, only popping in to say that yesterday I put in an order for the 2400, and my PB-4000 (as much as I've loved it) is going back to SVS. Excited to join the ranks!

Anyone here running a MiniDSP with their sub? I'm thinking of picking one up for finer control and also for the app (which could be garbage for all I know).

Also, regarding BEQ curves - do these only apply to Blu-ray releases? How do streaming services handle the LFE tracks? I ask because (although I ran it pretty hot), I can't say I noticed a shortage of LFE from Oblivion, John Wick 3, Fury, etc. on iTunes or Vudu. I would also hate to take a curve intended for a particular audio track on a BluRay (which does not change) and risk damaging the sub by applying it to a streaming movie (which can change based on the whims of the studio/service). Am I off base here?
Sergey Feingold is offline  
post #13223 of 13411 Old 09-28-2019, 03:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ereed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 3,456
Mentioned: 116 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2304 Post(s)
Liked: 1625
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucky7 View Post
Just finished watching Spider-Man: Far from Home in 4K Atmos. I wasn't that impressed with the bass. It was potent but seemed to be missing some depth...

As shown in the graph,


It is a mid bass monster and does not dig low.

The directional effect, however, was much more impressive. I don't have Atmos speakers installed but I heard rich voices panning all over the place. This is definitely surround demo worthy.
You should have waited for it to be BEQed in few days! Otherwise those cap 4000s aren't getting into the good ULF stuff!
chucky7 likes this.

Sony 45es | 120 inch screen | Panasonic BDT500 | Rotel RMB-1075 | Rotel RMB-1077 | Rotel RSP-1068 | Klipsch RP-280F/RP-450C/RP-160M (x4) | Funk Audio subs (x2) | MiniDSP 2x4HD | Crowson D-501/Shadow-8 Actuators (x2) | Monster Power Conditioner | GIK acoustic panels
ereed is online now  
post #13224 of 13411 Old 09-28-2019, 06:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
imureh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 4,564
Mentioned: 215 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2857 Post(s)
Liked: 3583
Quote:
Originally Posted by ereed View Post
You should have waited for it to be BEQed in few days! Otherwise those cap 4000s aren't getting into the good ULF stuff!


It’s been BEQ’d for some time. Don’t think it’s updated on the main page though. If you pull the repo you will get it


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Subwoofers: Dual Rythmik FV18s Rev2 with Paper cone, BOSS Platform mini riser, 2 BK LFE
Speakers: PSA MTM-210 L/C/R - Klipsch 250S Surrounds, PSA MT 110sr Rear Surrounds, 4 x SVS Prime Elevation for Atmos
Video: Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 6500 UB; Room: 2100 cuft sealed on suspended floor
Receiver & Players: Denon X4400H, Oppo UDP-203, Roku Ultra. Apple TV, Minidsp 2X4 HD
imureh is online now  
post #13225 of 13411 Old 09-28-2019, 06:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
imureh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 4,564
Mentioned: 215 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2857 Post(s)
Liked: 3583
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergey Feingold View Post
Nothing to add to this thread currently, only popping in to say that yesterday I put in an order for the 2400, and my PB-4000 (as much as I've loved it) is going back to SVS. Excited to join the ranks!



Anyone here running a MiniDSP with their sub? I'm thinking of picking one up for finer control and also for the app (which could be garbage for all I know).



Also, regarding BEQ curves - do these only apply to Blu-ray releases? How do streaming services handle the LFE tracks? I ask because (although I ran it pretty hot), I can't say I noticed a shortage of LFE from Oblivion, John Wick 3, Fury, etc. on iTunes or Vudu. I would also hate to take a curve intended for a particular audio track on a BluRay (which does not change) and risk damaging the sub by applying it to a streaming movie (which can change based on the whims of the studio/service). Am I off base here?


Have you visited the BEQ thread? There are different versions noted.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Subwoofers: Dual Rythmik FV18s Rev2 with Paper cone, BOSS Platform mini riser, 2 BK LFE
Speakers: PSA MTM-210 L/C/R - Klipsch 250S Surrounds, PSA MT 110sr Rear Surrounds, 4 x SVS Prime Elevation for Atmos
Video: Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 6500 UB; Room: 2100 cuft sealed on suspended floor
Receiver & Players: Denon X4400H, Oppo UDP-203, Roku Ultra. Apple TV, Minidsp 2X4 HD
imureh is online now  
post #13226 of 13411 Old 09-29-2019, 02:43 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by imureh View Post
Have you visited the BEQ thread? There are different versions noted.
I did but must have missed that part. I'll pop back in there.
Sergey Feingold is offline  
post #13227 of 13411 Old 09-29-2019, 08:45 AM
Senior Member
 
schwaggs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Atlanta Metro area
Posts: 418
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergey Feingold View Post
Anyone here running a MiniDSP with their sub? I'm thinking of picking one up for finer control and also for the app (which could be garbage for all I know).
Welcome to the club!


You should also pickup a calibrated mic to use with REW of you don't have one already.


I used a MiniDSP HD to tune my system. Much better than what auto room correction does in the typical AVR. Setting up and tuning your response with REW and MiniDSP is more work than pushing the "room correction" button on your AVR but combined with REW you can get a super flat response. You can use REW to create the EQ curve that you import into the MiniDSP to flatten it out.



Plus once you have it flat, you can use BEQ (I have not done that yet).
toddct and Sergey Feingold like this.
schwaggs is offline  
post #13228 of 13411 Old 09-29-2019, 08:53 AM
Senior Member
 
toddct's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 424
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 783
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergey Feingold View Post
Anyone here running a MiniDSP with their sub? I'm thinking of picking one up for finer control and also for the app (which could be garbage for all I know).
Yep, miniDSP and 2400s. The mD is probably the best bang for your buck to tweak your room response if your room doesn't cooperate. Using it with REW really let's you see what you are listening to. Highly recommended!

The app is ok but I have a laptop at my seat and it's easy to get in and out of to make any changes.

Todd
schwaggs likes this.

“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh
toddct is online now  
post #13229 of 13411 Old 09-29-2019, 08:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ereed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 3,456
Mentioned: 116 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2304 Post(s)
Liked: 1625
Quote:
Originally Posted by imureh View Post
It’s been BEQ’d for some time. Don’t think it’s updated on the main page though. If you pull the repo you will get it


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, it will be in repo first. I was just hoping to show him a graph of the after beq to show what he was missing.

Sony 45es | 120 inch screen | Panasonic BDT500 | Rotel RMB-1075 | Rotel RMB-1077 | Rotel RSP-1068 | Klipsch RP-280F/RP-450C/RP-160M (x4) | Funk Audio subs (x2) | MiniDSP 2x4HD | Crowson D-501/Shadow-8 Actuators (x2) | Monster Power Conditioner | GIK acoustic panels
ereed is online now  
post #13230 of 13411 Old 09-29-2019, 09:08 AM
Senior Member
 
toddct's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 424
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 783
Quote:
Originally Posted by schwaggs View Post
Plus once you have it flat, you can use BEQ (I have not done that yet).
You need to get on that straight away schwaggs!

Todd

“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh
toddct is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off