What to buy? $300 / 2150 ft^3 / HT only - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7Likes
  • 1 Post By stsand
  • 1 Post By MIX_MASTER_ICE
  • 1 Post By DrewB
  • 1 Post By AllenA07
  • 1 Post By JimWilson
  • 1 Post By JimWilson
  • 1 Post By stsand

post #1 of 15 Old 01-14-2017, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 27
What to buy? $300 / 2150 ft^3 / HT only

Been doing tons of reading on this forum and have gotten some great ideas. But along with great ideas comes great confusion. Can you provide me with some guidance before I pull the trigger on a new sub?

Following the advice of the sticky thread on what info to provide before asking for help, here are some details:

I've got a dedicated HT that measures 2150 ft^3 (22' deep, 14' wide, 7' high with main listening position right smack in the middle of that area). It has velvet or heavy curtains covering the front and side walls/ceiling. I'm not looking to shake the house, just want to get some good quality bass and a bit of rumble.

I've currently got an old, down-firing Dahlquist PDQ-1200 sub that's sounds "pretty good" to my ears. Not sure on the specs, but it says "60 Hz, 400 Watts" on it. 60 Hz seems sorta lame, doesn't it? It needs to be power cycled each time I sit down to watch a movie (otherwise it won't wake up from sleep mode). And I suspect that "pretty good" may mean "lousy" next to a newer, better model. Is that a fair assumption?

Will I notice a big upgrade for my investment?

Main speakers are older Phase Tech PC series that I'm very happy with. Amp is an Onkyo TX-NR636.

I'm leaning toward a front-firing sub, since I suspect my carpet & curtains are preventing me from getting a lot of reflection in the front corner of the theater. Is that valid? I haven't done a 'sub crawl' but maybe that's a good idea?

And I'm leaning toward just getting one sub, rather than two. Mostly because two seems like overkill... but I admit to being a newbie on this topic.

Budget is around the $300 range. If I need two subs, they'd both have to fit in that range. DIY is not really an option.

Some models I've heard thrown around here that might suit my needs:
- Emotiva BasX S12 (front-firing, fits my price range but just barely, no reviews as of yet)
- BIC F-12 (lots of great reviews here and on Amazon)
- Polk PSW-505
- Jamo J112
- Dayton SUB-1200 (if I need two subs, then this seems like the most well-liked option in the $150 range)

Thanks in advance...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 01-14-2017, 08:49 PM

Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethav View Post
Been doing tons of reading on this forum and have gotten some great ideas. But along with great ideas comes great confusion. Can you provide me with some guidance before I pull the trigger on a new sub?

Following the advice of the sticky thread on what info to provide before asking for help, here are some details:

I've got a dedicated HT that measures 2150 ft^3 (22' deep, 14' wide, 7' high with main listening position right smack in the middle of that area). It has velvet or heavy curtains covering the front and side walls/ceiling. I'm not looking to shake the house, just want to get some good quality bass and a bit of rumble.

I've currently got an old, down-firing Dahlquist PDQ-1200 sub that's sounds "pretty good" to my ears. Not sure on the specs, but it says "60 Hz, 400 Watts" on it. 60 Hz seems sorta lame, doesn't it? It needs to be power cycled each time I sit down to watch a movie (otherwise it won't wake up from sleep mode). And I suspect that "pretty good" may mean "lousy" next to a newer, better model. Is that a fair assumption?

Will I notice a big upgrade for my investment?

Main speakers are older Phase Tech PC series that I'm very happy with. Amp is an Onkyo TX-NR636.

I'm leaning toward a front-firing sub, since I suspect my carpet & curtains are preventing me from getting a lot of reflection in the front corner of the theater. Is that valid? I haven't done a 'sub crawl' but maybe that's a good idea?

And I'm leaning toward just getting one sub, rather than two. Mostly because two seems like overkill... but I admit to being a newbie on this topic.

Budget is around the $300 range. If I need two subs, they'd both have to fit in that range. DIY is not really an option.

Some models I've heard thrown around here that might suit my needs:
- Emotiva BasX S12 (front-firing, fits my price range but just barely, no reviews as of yet)
- BIC F-12 (lots of great reviews here and on Amazon)
- Polk PSW-505
- Jamo J112
- Dayton SUB-1200 (if I need two subs, then this seems like the most well-liked option in the $150 range)

Thanks in advance...
There is another post of SVS SB12 NSD for sale by onecall on eBay for $350 if you apply the coupon code. Thats the best sub you could get close to your budget. Look for the post. Hurry!!!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
post #3 of 15 Old 01-15-2017, 02:10 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 88
My room is the same size as yours, within a foot on all sides. I'm not sure what the end game is for you.
I know I never thought I'd be where I am (2 x 21" subs).
The suggestion above is an excellent one. I'd start there. Really, anything less in terms of expenditure will leave you wanting - eventually.
Why throw good money after bad?

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
kennethav likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 01-15-2017, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for that suggestion... that's a great idea and a sub I hadn't really considered. My hesitation is that it's not ported. Don't I want a ported sub for a medium sized room that is a dedicated home theater? Also, the shiny metal grill turns me off a bit, but I guess I can always cover it with speaker fabric.
post #5 of 15 Old 01-15-2017, 01:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 2675 Post(s)
Liked: 2483
Quote:
Thanks for that suggestion... that's a great idea and a sub I hadn't really considered. My hesitation is that it's not ported. Don't I want a ported sub for a medium sized room that is a dedicated home theater? Also, the shiny metal grill turns me off a bit, but I guess I can always cover it with speaker fabric.
$300 is a tough budget spot. Not enough to get a really high quality sub. The Jamo J-112 is still available on ebay. With discount code CGAMEDAY10, the dark apple finish is $252 and the white finish is $225. For this price range, this is probably the best sub you can get. http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...j-112&_sacat=0
kennethav likes this.
post #6 of 15 Old 01-15-2017, 03:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Although I haven't heard much about this subwoofer here...these guys were pretty impressed with this subwoofer for $399 shipped. Plus its a vented design (similar to ported).

http://www.audioholics.com/subwoofer...peedwoofer-10s

http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...bwoofer-review
kennethav likes this.

Last edited by DrewB; 01-15-2017 at 03:29 PM.
post #7 of 15 Old 01-16-2017, 08:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 704 Post(s)
Liked: 580
Quote:
The SVS sub is your best option even sealed it will give you a lot of power.

If you're looking at the BIC F-12, I would instead steer you towards the BIC PL-200. That's one of the best options you will find under $300 (sometimes a little under, other times it can be a little over). Any chance you can save up a little longer and swing $500 for a SVS PB-1000?
kennethav likes this.

My Theater: The Ugly Theater
post #8 of 15 Old 01-16-2017, 10:53 AM
Writer & Reviewer

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2248 Post(s)
Liked: 3429
Quote:
For a room/budget combo like you have definitely consider ported. That alignment will be able to cope with the space better.

Quote:
I've currently got an old, down-firing Dahlquist PDQ-1200 sub that's sounds "pretty good" to my ears. Not sure on the specs, but it says "60 Hz, 400 Watts" on it. 60 Hz seems sorta lame, doesn't it?
That 60Hz designation wouldn't happen to be by the power plug, would it? My guess is it's associated to the A/C voltage cycle and not the lower response of your subwoofer.

Quote:
I'm leaning toward a front-firing sub, since I suspect my carpet & curtains are preventing me from getting a lot of reflection in the front corner of the theater. Is that valid?
Not really. Curtains won't influence the response of your subwoofer like they would speakers.
kennethav likes this.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite...
post #9 of 15 Old 01-16-2017, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post
For a room/budget combo like you have definitely consider ported. That alignment will be able to cope with the space better.
OK, good to hear that confirmation. Any thoughts on my list of options, or maybe some other option I haven't considered yet?

Quote:
That 60Hz designation wouldn't happen to be by the power plug, would it? My guess is it's associated to the A/C voltage cycle and not the lower response of your subwoofer.
Ha! I guess that was just me being dense
Thanks for the help.
post #10 of 15 Old 01-16-2017, 01:23 PM
Writer & Reviewer

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2248 Post(s)
Liked: 3429
Quote:
OK, good to hear that confirmation. Any thoughts on my list of options, or maybe some other option I haven't considered yet?
Based upon the suggestions thus far, I put some comments in parenthesis...

- Emotiva BasX S12 (this is an unknown as it's very new, so no info yet available)
- BIC F-12 (long established option with a lot of happy owners)
- Polk PSW-505 (most owners consider it a little boomy and inaccurate)
- Jamo J112 (@mix_master_ice is the resident Jamo expert, so I'll defer to him on this one)
- Dayton SUB-1200 (very good value for the money)
- RSL Speedwoofer 10S (based upon my experience with RSL, this is probably a real nice sub)
eljaycanuck likes this.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite...
post #11 of 15 Old 01-16-2017, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Based upon the suggestions thus far, I put some comments in parenthesis...

- Emotiva BasX S12 (this is an unknown as it's very new, so no info yet available)
- BIC F-12 (long established option with a lot of happy owners)
- Polk PSW-505 (most owners consider it a little boomy and inaccurate)
- Jamo J112 (@mix_master_ice is the resident Jamo expert, so I'll defer to him on this one)
- Dayton SUB-1200 (very good value for the money)
- RSL Speedwoofer 10S (based upon my experience with RSL, this is probably a real nice sub)
Thanks, that's awesome feedback. It looks like the BIC PL-200 can be had in my price range as well.

The Emotiva response graph looks great, which makes me curious. But I'm not sure I should be trusting their own numbers?
post #12 of 15 Old 01-16-2017, 04:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1688 Post(s)
Liked: 2082
Quote:
Originally Posted by khurramtm View Post
There is another post of SVS SB12 NSD for sale by onecall on eBay for $350 if you apply the coupon code. Thats the best sub you could get close to your budget. Look for the post. Hurry!!!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
What coupon code ?

Link to Stereo Integrity SI HT 18 sub build......https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...-pedestal.html
Speakers and subs for sale...https://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-au...kers-subs.html
post #13 of 15 Old 01-16-2017, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by unretarded View Post
what coupon code ?
cgameday10
post #14 of 15 Old 01-16-2017, 09:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stsand View Post
anything less in terms of expenditure will leave you wanting - eventually.
Why throw good money after bad?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIX_MASTER_ICE View Post
$300 is a tough budget spot. Not enough to get a really high quality sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenA07 View Post
The SVS sub is your best option even sealed it will give you a lot of power.
Quote:
For a room/budget combo like you have definitely consider ported.
OK, OK, I can take a hint

It sounds like I'm better off stretching my budget and getting to the low-end of the high-end. I used that coupon and got an open-box SVS PB-1000 for $400. That should eliminate any potential buyer's remorse and should be a huge upgrade over my existing sub.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.
post #15 of 15 Old 01-16-2017, 11:02 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
OK, OK, I can take a hint

It sounds like I'm better off stretching my budget and getting to the low-end of the high-end. I used that coupon and got an open-box SVS PB-1000 for $400. That should eliminate any potential buyer's remorse and should be a huge upgrade over my existing sub.

Thanks again for all the suggestions.
Not that we're always right, but it's nice to see you seek out advice and then really use it.
I rarely offer suggestions as there's so many others with significantly more knowledge than me on the forum, but this particular issue I've had experience with.
Bought and sold a few times and spent more money that way than if I'd just budgeted for more at the outset.
Enjoy your new subwoofer, and please post your observations after you have spent some time with it.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
Fattykidd likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page