1Likes
  • 1 Post By RKSKYDANCER

post #1 of 4 Old 02-25-2017, 03:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 2
best budget sub?

For my kid's ballet studio, there is a studio with ceiling mounted speakers (WHY???). The music played in there includes some fairly loud hip-hip which blew them out.

Considering changing out the ceiling speakers (likely 6", possibly larger) for new ones and adding a sub with a new receiver.

Any suggestions on the above? Literally lowest bang for the buck.

We don't need a high end sub. just something to take care of the lower bass so the ceiling mounted speakers aren't working as hard, hopefully to keep them from blowing out as easily.

I've looked at the Monoprice $100 12" sub that Wirecutter likes but never heard it, $141 on Amazon

I can get an SVS SB1000 or PB1000 for $250 used from a friend (he has both), but this is pretty far over budget

any other suggestions?

what do you guys think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-25-2017, 06:57 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2006 View Post
For my kid's ballet studio, there is a studio with ceiling mounted speakers (WHY???). The music played in there includes some fairly loud hip-hip which blew them out.

Considering changing out the ceiling speakers (likely 6", possibly larger) for new ones and adding a sub with a new receiver.

Any suggestions on the above? Literally lowest bang for the buck.

We don't need a high end sub. just something to take care of the lower bass so the ceiling mounted speakers aren't working as hard, hopefully to keep them from blowing out as easily.

I've looked at the Monoprice $100 12" sub that Wirecutter likes but never heard it, $141 on Amazon

I can get an SVS SB1000 or PB1000 for $250 used from a friend (he has both), but this is pretty far over budget

any other suggestions?

what do you guys think?

For the ceiling in your budget I'd look into some car door coaxial (mid driver and tweeter in the center) 6.5'' speakers. You can probably find some inexpensive Kicker brand or Polk 6.5''/Alpine 6.5'' 4 ohm speakers on Amazon.

You would want to wire 4 ohm speakers in series (2 per channel) as most receivers are rated at 8 ohm, especially entry level. For the receiver any inexpensive 60-80 watt RX with a sub out should work. For the sub, your call. Polk or Pioneer makes a entry level $90 sub on amazon.
post #3 of 4 Old 02-25-2017, 07:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 2210 Post(s)
Liked: 1156
If your budget is < 250, maybe look at Dayton Audio, Monoprice, BIC F12. In this field "best" is relative. If the AVR will support two subs, get two that the budget allows, will help even out bass in the studio. :}

\\ Sent from my mobile device //

“Ever heard of the Sullivan Act?” “Oh that's all right, Detective, we're married.”
Are you new to the forum? Please read forum FAQs and stickies. Like posts that help you. RTFM, always.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 02-25-2017, 09:42 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked: 160
According to a well known subwoofer reviewer: The Monoprice 9723 at $99.99 was the best budget subwoofer of all of them. It's $99.99 on Monoprice web site but they are out until next month. You would have to buy it on Amazon at $141.00 which is still a good price.
2nd best subwoofer on his list was the BIC America V1020. It sells for $169.00 on Amazon and Best Buy web sites.

There are plenty of others but these were his recommendation's.
ChromeJob likes this.

(Living Room) Sony XBR65X950G 4K TV, Harman Kardon Enchant 1300 & HK Enchant subwoofer, Sony UHP-H1 SACD & Panasonic DP-UB420 4K BD players.

(Garage) Sherwood RX-4105 Receiver, Samsung DVD/CD player, Klipsch 2.5 med oak speakers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page