The Ultimate List of BASS in Movies w/ Frequency Charts - Page 225 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 54495Likes

post #6721 of 18442 Old 04-02-2018, 07:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 143 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1551 Post(s)
Liked: 3954
Quote:
Originally Posted by PioManiac View Post
First Rule of Fight Club ,"Nobody talks about the AWESOME BASS in Fight Club"

but I will say...EVERY BassHead should own this on Bluray!

Sweet! Thanks for the graph reminder. I haven’t rewatched Fight Club in years since drastically upgrading every part of my system and likely at a much lower volume than acceptable basshead standards...first thing tomorrow morning it’s on!

Speakers: PSA MTM-210T x2, MTM-210C, Volt-10 x2
Subs: PSA S1812 x2; MA’s: Crowson x2
Processing: Denon X4200, MiniDSP 2x4 HD
PJ: Epson 5050UB
Screen: Silver Ticket 106" HC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6722 of 18442 Old 04-02-2018, 07:34 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekosche View Post
Sweet! Thanks for the graph reminder. I haven’t rewatched Fight Club in years since drastically upgrading every part of my system and likely at a much lower volume than acceptable basshead standards...first thing tomorrow morning it’s on!
The FIRST rule of fight club......

Sony XBR75x940D, Denon X4400H, Monolith 5X, PSA S3000i, Axiom M100s, VP180, QS8s, Klipsh R12SW, Polk MC60s, Sony UBP-X800, PS4 Pro
post #6723 of 18442 Old 04-02-2018, 10:11 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Finally got to watch Annihilation (thanks Mr. Gray), quite a different take on the impending alien invasion. If you have nf/tt's or big subs you'll prob enjoy the constant rumble throughout the movie, smaller systems may be disappointed ymwv. Should be a gorgeous picture in hdr/dv.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6724 of 18442 Old 04-02-2018, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 161 Post(s)
Quoted: 1874 Post(s)
Liked: 7131
Paramount Pictures
4K Digital Intermediate
Dolby Vision & Dolby Atmos

post #6725 of 18442 Old 04-02-2018, 11:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 11
After having my HT setup for about 4 months, I’m back to tinkering. I have been doing my sub crawl and have it narrowed down to a couple acceptable spots. I have been perusing the forums for the ‘best bass’ scenes for running my sub test/ comparisons on. But I’m curious.....

Is there a particular movie (or otherwise) scene which you feel really hits a wide breath of LFE for comparing running this type of testing/ comparisons? Watching a whole movie over and over in different spots isn’t really practical for me (time or accurately remembering and comparing)

I can pick up a Blu-ray/ UHD. I also have Prime and Netflix if streaming services can produce worthy effects. Also YouTube, if that can as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sony XBR65X900E
Xbox X
Denon X4300H
5.1.4- Klipsch RC-62 ii, R-26F, R-15M, R-10SW, Monoprice 8" Black Back Ceiling Speakers
post #6726 of 18442 Old 04-02-2018, 11:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2447 Post(s)
Liked: 3131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
I guess I should ask what your opinion of the 7.1 blu ray track was and how you feel the Atmos track is better? As it was known when it first hit blu ray, "Star Trek Into Deafness" got it's name for a reason. So the Atmos track doesn't have everything cranked to 11 making it a harsh listen at reference like the original blu track?

The 7.1 mix was beyond Hot (was the poster child for the loudness wars ) and do remember posting so, could never find the right volume to watch it at as well as one minute something would sound almost fine then the next your making adjustments. As for the Atmos mix you won't have 11/ch screaming at you with massive high frequency peaks! Instead some of the best use of the platform as the use of objects are very well done with the height channels getting a full workout while the base layer and 3 dimensional pans are enough to give you vertigo with the on screen content, its almost masterfully done. Going into the movie knowing the True HD mix was hot I expected about the same and started out at a lower volume but as with all Atmos mixes (excluding Disney) -10 can be almost considered reference volume with the occasional bump to -5 if feeling Lucky I watched the vast majority at -10 and later -6.5 and it sounded spectacular. I've recently replaced the whole of the Abrams Trek and while the 4k/HDr alone is worth it (Into Darkness being the best here) the 2009 mix only got better which was hard enough to do as the 7.1 mix was already reference in my book and was more than happy when listening to the Atmos mix to find it only enhanced it and took nothing away! Beyond (well its still sound bar capable) but Into Darkness stole the show with the use of objects and precision of effects which made for one heck of a home cinema ride

I'm very interested to see how ST 2009 Atmos compares to the original audio track on the blu ray. If nothing is lost on the stellar original mix, I need to upgrade my copy. I still say do it

Fight Club is definitely a favorite of mine that I haven't watched in years! The mid air collision scene was one of my go-to demo scenes 13-14 years ago. Always

Went and saw the new Pacific Rim today which was pretty fun, but nothing about it is as good as the first IMO. Then again the GFs 8 year old thought it was "his new favorite movie" so what do I know! The rest of us thought he was high, lol. The GF thought this "generic Transformers" was pretty bad and the 12 year old thought it was ok. Should still be fun in the HT though if the bass is good which I couldn't gauge at all in this particular theater as it didn't even sound/feel like they had subs turned on.
The moment I saw the early trailers and the later ones as well, this new one will get a rental at best unless it looks and sounds better, I was so disappointed. looking forward to what you find on the Trek
Toe likes this.
post #6727 of 18442 Old 04-02-2018, 11:22 AM
Toe
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 2832 Post(s)
Liked: 3788
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post
The moment I saw the early trailers and the later ones as well, this new one will get a rental at best unless it looks and sounds better, I was so disappointed. looking forward to what you find on the Trek
You've sold me! Great report! I'll put STID on the buy list as well along with 2009. Hope I can find them cheap at some point soon.

Yeah, the trailers set my expectations low as well and I'd say it's about what you'd expect going off those. Hopefully the A/V hits it out of the park at least when it hits UHD.
audiofan1 likes this.
post #6728 of 18442 Old 04-02-2018, 11:54 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7112 Post(s)
Liked: 6982
Quote:
Originally Posted by mons0160 View Post
After having my HT setup for about 4 months, I’m back to tinkering. I have been doing my sub crawl and have it narrowed down to a couple acceptable spots. I have been perusing the forums for the ‘best bass’ scenes for running my sub test/ comparisons on. But I’m curious.....

Is there a particular movie (or otherwise) scene which you feel really hits a wide breath of LFE for comparing running this type of testing/ comparisons? Watching a whole movie over and over in different spots isn’t really practical for me (time or accurately remembering and comparing)

I can pick up a Blu-ray/ UHD. I also have Prime and Netflix if streaming services can produce worthy effects. Also YouTube, if that can as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The AVS Bass Demo Discs are a great tool for this! Here's links to a couple, but there are at least a couple more floating around the forum:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...demo-disc.html
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-su...demo-disc.html

And, while not specifically bass-centric, here is a whole boatload of AVS Demo Discs:
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/150-bl...-authored.html
grtuck, biga6761 and mons0160 like this.

Sony XBR75X940D | Denon X4500H | Nvidia Shield | Synology NAS [52TB] | miniDSP 2x4 HD | TiVo Roamio
PSA MTM210 [x3] | Polk LS/fx [x4] | Klipsch RB61 [x2] | Crowson LvL3 MA [x2] | PSA TV42 Ipal [x2]
post #6729 of 18442 Old 04-02-2018, 04:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1138 Post(s)
Liked: 1464
Random question but what speaker wire gauge do most of you use? I use 14g and I just ran out so as I was about to buy some more and I got curious as to what you guys use. Thinking maybe I should change, Idk...
post #6730 of 18442 Old 04-02-2018, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoJustGeo View Post
Random question but what speaker wire gauge do most of you use? I use 14g and I just ran out so as I was about to buy some more and I got curious as to what you guys use. Thinking maybe I should change, Idk...
12AWG from Monoprice because it's cheap and thick.
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=2789
post #6731 of 18442 Old 04-02-2018, 05:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked: 7578
Quote:
I bought like 150ft of 12 gauge over 10 years ago and haven't had to upgrade, yet.
post #6732 of 18442 Old 04-02-2018, 05:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked: 476
Quote:
Wire gauge is dependant on the resistance of the speaker and the length of wire. Most of my cables are 12AWG, but any new runs will be 10AWG. Any 100% stranded copper will do. I buy whatever is cheapest, but will never order from Monoprice any more.
post #6733 of 18442 Old 04-02-2018, 05:21 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Unhappy New Sub

Any thought on the Bic Acoustech Pl-200 series2. Can't find any reviews on it.
post #6734 of 18442 Old 04-02-2018, 06:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 638 Post(s)
Liked: 735
Quote:
Originally Posted by duc135 View Post
I buy whatever is cheapest, but will never order from Monoprice any more.
That's a very random thing to say with no explanation. Care to explain why no more Monoprice? Not trying to be an a-hole, just curious.

Typed on a tiny keyboard, excuse any typos
biga6761 and unretarded like this.

HT: Oppo UHD-203 | Crown Amps | NX3000D | NX6000D | 1299s | Volt 8s | THTs | Crowson Shadow 8s | BOSS | Panamax 5300PM | LG OLED 65B6P
Family: Denon AVR-S740 | PSB Alpha AVs | Sony X900F | X1
post #6735 of 18442 Old 04-02-2018, 06:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked: 644
For the record, Star Trek: Into Darkness Imax 2k blu-ray, which is included with the UHD, is segmented like crazy and it is a wonder that anyone could playback the damn audio without dropouts. This maybe why I can not get eac3to to convert the file.

Anyhow I found my copy of the original 2K blu-ray and was successful in converting the file and scanning it.

Spoiler the Atmos track is a smidge bit more dynamic and appears to be more of an unique mix from the DTHD.
I think part of my beef with this film's mixes is fundamentally the EQ, perhaps a heavy usage of frequency compression. Anyhow I tried to listen to a bit of the Atmos mix today and still annoys me.

Audition DR Stats
Spoiler!

DR Meter Stats
Spoiler!

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-su...l#post55955778
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ST-ID-2K-DTHD - Copy.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	663.3 KB
ID:	2384150  

Politics is like a corral, no matter where you are you'll always be shoveling it.

Last edited by KMFDMvsEnya; 04-02-2018 at 07:02 PM.
post #6736 of 18442 Old 04-02-2018, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMFDMvsEnya View Post
For the record, Star Trek: Into Darkness Imax 2k blu-ray, which is included with the UHD, is segmented like crazy and it is a wonder that anyone could playback the damn audio without dropouts. This maybe why I can not get eac3to to convert the file.

Anyhow I found my copy of the original 2K blu-ray and was successful in converting the file and scanning it.

Audition DR Stats
Spoiler!

DR Meter Stats
Spoiler!

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-su...l#post55955778
For the IMAX Blu-Ray Compendium Collection i have it's Playlist number 00800 i dropped that into Eac3to and extracted the .wavs for the TRUH-HD track.

Last edited by MrGrey; 04-02-2018 at 08:23 PM.
post #6737 of 18442 Old 04-02-2018, 07:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked: 644
I was using MakeMKV today and it showed the multiple segments the playlist was broken into, which was an absurd number. I've been using the command line to use eac3to and perhaps if I had converted into .wavs instead of a multichannel flac file instead I might not have had problems.

Anyhow, this turd has been finally been slayed.

Still do not care for the mix, as I mention in the above post perhaps some of lies with the EQ in the track. No me gusta.

Politics is like a corral, no matter where you are you'll always be shoveling it.
post #6738 of 18442 Old 04-02-2018, 08:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan611 View Post
That's a very random thing to say with no explanation. Care to explain why no more Monoprice? Not trying to be an a-hole, just curious.
Just had terrible customer service. In a nutshell, I had placed an of cables and accessories to build my theater room and never received the products and they refused to refund my money.

After not receiving my package on the expected ship date I checked UPS tracking site for more information. The status showed that the package was damaged in shipping and returned to the shipper several days prior. So I call Monoprice to ask for a replacement or refund. I provided them the tracking number and status per UPS. The customer service rep refused to do either until I returned the products. I informed them that there is no possible way I can return the items since I never received them. I asked them verify with UPS tracking site. They still refused to refund my money or ship me a replacement. I asked for a supervisor who gave me the same response, but said they'll research and get back to me. Of course, that never happened so I kept having to call them for a status. My last conversation with them ended with them refusing to refund or reship until I sent the items back to them first. I had to contact my CC company and have them reverse the charges because Monoprice wouldn't refund my money despite UPS tracking clearly stating that the package was damaged in shipping and returned to sender.

This order amounted to less than $100. I had spent several thousand prior this this last order. I have since rewired several of my families' homes for speakers, networks, security cameras, etc. and spending several thousand more in the process. I guess they were willing to lose a customer over a small monetary issue like this. I also steer all my friends away from Monoprice so they've lost those potential customers as well.
SuperFist and mrtickleuk like this.
post #6739 of 18442 Old 04-02-2018, 08:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by duc135 View Post
Just had terrible customer service. In a nutshell, I had placed an of cables and accessories to build my theater room and never received the products and they refused to refund my money.

After not receiving my package on the expected ship date I checked UPS tracking site for more information. The status showed that the package was damaged in shipping and returned to the shipper several days prior. So I call Monoprice to ask for a replacement or refund. I provided them the tracking number and status per UPS. The customer service rep refused to do either until I returned the products. I informed them that there is no possible way I can return the items since I never received them. I asked them verify with UPS tracking site. They still refused to refund my money or ship me a replacement. I asked for a supervisor who gave me the same response, but said they'll research and get back to me. Of course, that never happened so I kept having to call them for a status. My last conversation with them ended with them refusing to refund or reship until I sent the items back to them first. I had to contact my CC company and have them reverse the charges because Monoprice wouldn't refund my money despite UPS tracking clearly stating that the package was damaged in shipping and returned to sender.

This order amounted to less than $100. I had spent several thousand prior this this last order. I have since rewired several of my families' homes for speakers, networks, security cameras, etc. and spending several thousand more in the process. I guess they were willing to lose a customer over a small monetary issue like this. I also steer all my friends away from Monoprice so they've lost those potential customers as well.
Wow!! If I was in your position, I'd do exactly the same. Guess I'll have to find another place to buy my cables.

HT: Oppo UHD-203 | Crown Amps | NX3000D | NX6000D | 1299s | Volt 8s | THTs | Crowson Shadow 8s | BOSS | Panamax 5300PM | LG OLED 65B6P
post #6740 of 18442 Old 04-02-2018, 09:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 1977 Post(s)
Liked: 5807
Couple cool new arrivals
post #6741 of 18442 Old 04-03-2018, 12:16 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I might have missed it but can someone tell me what software was used to make these graphs?

I'd like to run it on the Dolby Atmos demo clips I've been testing my setup with!
post #6742 of 18442 Old 04-03-2018, 01:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 1715 Post(s)
Liked: 2119
Quote:
Originally Posted by ez1dog View Post
Any thought on the Bic Acoustech Pl-200 series2. Can't find any reviews on it.
Best place I found for mine was pressed up directly behind my seat...it was not bad for a cheap sub, but you need it a inch or 2 behind your seat firing directly into the seating for all of that wonderful low end bass to work................out in the room you get none of "That" effect due to being a small low powered sub.

For the price and what it is, it does great when put as close as possible behind the seat........I am just not sure it does 100 bucks more than the Bic F-12 does........there is not a huge difference in the 2, certainly not a 100 bucks performance difference....save the 100 bucks and get 2 F-12`s.....

I see it goes for about 250....at that price it would be worth it, at 300, just get a F-12 for 200......if you can get the PL-200 for 250 delivered, I would say it is worth it over the F-12.

Link to Stereo Integrity SI HT 18 sub build......https://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-d...-pedestal.html

Theater house build.....https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-ge...hed-house.html
post #6743 of 18442 Old 04-03-2018, 04:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked: 7578
Star Trek (2009) 4K UHD Dolby Atmos Bass Graph

Rest assured, guys... the Dolby Atmos bass is the same as the Blu-ray's
original Dolby TrueHD 5.1 mix with the ULF in tact!

Toe, MentatYP, KMFDMvsEnya and 5 others like this.
post #6744 of 18442 Old 04-03-2018, 09:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 1566 Post(s)
Liked: 2426
Star Trek ID Man the bass and Atmos are great
Attached Thumbnails
Attached Images

Toe, SuperFist and audiofan1 like this.
post #6745 of 18442 Old 04-03-2018, 10:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Finally watched Wind River. Man, Renner is such a bad a$$. Great movie.

SuperFist likes this.

post #6746 of 18442 Old 04-03-2018, 10:12 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by unretarded View Post
Best place I found for mine was pressed up directly behind my seat...it was not bad for a cheap sub, but you need it a inch or 2 behind your seat firing directly into the seating for all of that wonderful low end bass to work................out in the room you get none of "That" effect due to being a small low powered sub.

For the price and what it is, it does great when put as close as possible behind the seat........I am just not sure it does 100 bucks more than the Bic F-12 does........there is not a huge difference in the 2, certainly not a 100 bucks performance difference....save the 100 bucks and get 2 F-12`s.....

I see it goes for about 250....at that price it would be worth it, at 300, just get a F-12 for 200......if you can get the PL-200 for 250 delivered, I would say it is worth it over the F-12.
Yeah the F-12 seems to be the popular choice between the two. Thanks for your insight!
post #6747 of 18442 Old 04-03-2018, 10:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks for the graph @SuperFist for Star Trek, That is my next Atmos adventure, just after pacific rim. Home sick today so might as well enjoy being sick.......
SuperFist likes this.
post #6748 of 18442 Old 04-03-2018, 10:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 143 Post(s)
Quoted: 1551 Post(s)
Liked: 3954
I want you to hit me as hard as you can...with that bass! Fight Club definitely deserves props for its sound design.

Speakers: PSA MTM-210T x2, MTM-210C, Volt-10 x2
Subs: PSA S1812 x2; MA’s: Crowson x2
Processing: Denon X4200, MiniDSP 2x4 HD
PJ: Epson 5050UB
Screen: Silver Ticket 106" HC
post #6749 of 18442 Old 04-03-2018, 11:33 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I've got a graph request, the 1997 sci-fi movie Contact. I don't see it in the list here or over on data-bass.
I watched it on DVD a couple of weeks ago, and it seemed to have some good rumbles whenever 'the signal' is the focus. Things really picked up toward the end whenever the machine(s) are running and of course the whole wormhole scene.
KMFDMvsEnya and SuperFist like this.

TCL R615 | Sony UBP-X700 | Integra DTR-7.8 | Front = Klipsch KLF-20 | Center & Surrounds = Klipsch KG 5.5 | Subs = 3x 15 inch, 2x 12 inch, and 4x 10 inch with miniDSP handling delays and PEQs. Hybrid JBL 2384/2432H/4560/Table Tuba, active, multi-amp trio under construction and testing.
post #6750 of 18442 Old 04-03-2018, 12:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks for the reminder @Sekosche , will have to look this one up, and check out the bass!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page