The Ultimate List of BASS in Movies w/ Frequency Charts - Page 270 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 47360Likes

post #8071 of 15088 Old 06-07-2018, 05:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1345 Post(s)
Liked: 2531
I apologize in advance as i was just going to list a few of my favorite (bass) movies (on my system), but having a couple beverages,,,,, so there's more . Every set up is different so opinions may vary. Several have extension into single digits.

- Batman vs Superman
- Hulk
- 1st Star Trek, (single digit extension to 8Hz)
- Expendables 3
- Magnificent 7
- Wonder Woman
- Battle LA (single digit extension)
- Deep water Horizon
- Midnight Special
- Don't Breath (6Hz)
- Logan
- Olympus Has fallen
- HellBoy2 (6Hz)
- Hacksaw Ridge
- War Horse (love that show) (8Hz)
- Life
- San Andreas

I have so many more i want to list but i will be banned, or stoned by you guys. On my set up these movies really stand out, even the 30Hz monster San Andreas which i find ridiculously dynamic.

Just going by impaired memory so know i've missed other single digit movies on my list.
MentatYP, SBuger, grtuck and 3 others like this.

-Marantz SR-8012
-Yamaha BD-A1060
-Funk 21.0LX Master/Slave combo 4800 watts RMS/9600watts (peak)-
-Chane A-2.4 L/C/R
-Chane A-1.4 side/rear surrounds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8072 of 15088 Old 06-07-2018, 06:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked: 1543
Quote:
Originally Posted by indebtbassfreak View Post
I apologize in advance as i was just going to list a few of my favorite (bass) movies (on my system), but having a couple beverages,,,,, so there's more . Every set up is different so opinions may vary. Several have extension into single digits.

- Batman vs Superman
- Hulk
- Expendables 3
- Magnificent 7
- Wonder Woman
- Deep water Horizon
- Midnight Special
- Don't Breath (6Hz)
- Logan
- Olympus Has fallen
- HellBoy2 (6Hz)
- Hacksaw Ridge
- Life
- San Andreas

I have so many more i want to list but i will be banned, or stoned by you guys. On my set up these movies really stand out, even the 30Hz monster San Andreas which i find ridiculously dynamic.

Just going by impaired memory so know i've missed other single digit movies on my list.
That's a nice list!
I've been meaning to start a thread asking for people to list their all time favourite "movies with bass". By that I mean movies you can't help but watch start to finish and are on your "frequent rewatch" list, as opposed to movies that have a great bass scene or two - but the movie itself is pretty average. For example Pulse has a great bass scene but IMHO the movie sucked. War of the Worlds has some of the best bass ever put on film, but it's not a movie I can watch more than once every few years.
post #8073 of 15088 Old 06-07-2018, 06:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked: 1261
Quote:
Originally Posted by subacabra View Post
Watching Hurricane Heist now. About 25 minutes in and it's definitely pretty cheesy.
Bass is nice so far. Some great rumbles and couple low hits. Overhead and surrounds are very active, as they should be considering a damn hurricane is going on.
Will add to post at end of movie if I encounter any really good bass moments

Some nice bass towards the end. Not on MMFR, BR2049, Pacific Rim etc level but not shabby. It was shaking the place for sure though.

Horrible movie though lol
This one is a rare bird got it on Netflix today, it has full bandwidth center channel signal. Gives the center subs some work. Im running it at significantly less than full output, that will have to wait for the weekend when the upstairs is unoccupied.
SuperFist, subacabra and AmerCa like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8074 of 15088 Old 06-07-2018, 06:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked: 1261
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiebosco View Post
That's a nice list!
I've been meaning to start a thread asking for people to list their all time favourite "movies with bass". By that I mean movies you can't help but watch start to finish and are on your "frequent rewatch" list, as opposed to movies that have a great bass scene or two - but the movie itself is pretty average. For example Pulse has a great bass scene but IMHO the movie sucked. War of the Worlds has some of the best bass ever put on film, but it's not a movie I can watch more than once every few years.
I think Wonder Woman is my go to reference, just incredibly crafted bass, scattered throughout, building up to the tremendous finale. That and Star Wars The Force Awakens.
post #8075 of 15088 Old 06-07-2018, 06:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1345 Post(s)
Liked: 2531
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiebosco View Post
That's a nice list!
Great point. Every one of those i listed (for me) are re watchable many times over. Battle LA is a bit of a stretch.

-Marantz SR-8012
-Yamaha BD-A1060
-Funk 21.0LX Master/Slave combo 4800 watts RMS/9600watts (peak)-
-Chane A-2.4 L/C/R
-Chane A-1.4 side/rear surrounds.
post #8076 of 15088 Old 06-07-2018, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 142 Post(s)
Quoted: 1692 Post(s)
Liked: 6123
post #8077 of 15088 Old 06-07-2018, 07:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 1264 Post(s)
Liked: 4957
I know this is probably a huge deviation from the main topic of this thread, but I just got Beverly Hills Cop: 3 Movie Collection on Blu-ray delivered today! I absolutely LOVE these films as I've seen them all multiple times in the theaters. So I was confused and upset as to why there was no US release of this complete set on Blu-ray, being that it was initially released here.

The only version available for purchase is from the UK, though I did purchase it from an Amazon seller stateside. You can actually get this from Amazon.co.uk $3 cheaper than I paid for it here at $13.12 shipped! Of course, there is considerable grain and other anomalies native to the film stock used here, but you will not get a better, clearer presentation of this film anywhere at this point. It's also Region Free!

Subwoofers: PSA S3000i x 2 | L+R Front: Onkyo SKF-200F | Center: Onkyo SKC-200C | L+R Surround: Onkyo SKM-200S | Atmos: Pioneer SP-T22A-LR | AVR: Yamaha RX-A660BL | HTPC: Lenovo Q190
post #8078 of 15088 Old 06-07-2018, 07:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1593 Post(s)
Liked: 4652
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFist View Post
I know this is probably a huge deviation from the main topic of this thread, but I just got Beverly Hills Cop: 3 Movie Collection on Blu-ray delivered today! I absolutely LOVE these films as I've seen them all multiple times in the theaters. So I was confused and upset as to why there was no US release of this complete set on Blu-ray, being that it was initially released here.

The only version available for purchase is from the UK, though I did purchase it from an Amazon seller stateside. You can actually get this from Amazon.co.uk $3 cheaper than I paid for it here at $13.12 shipped! Of course, there is considerable grain and other anomalies native to the film stock used here, but you will not get a better, clearer presentation of this film anywhere at this point.

But will it play on your br player? My dumb ass had to send Apocalypto back and re order bc I got the region b by mistake.
biga6761 likes this.
post #8079 of 15088 Old 06-07-2018, 07:54 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:

- Batman vs Superman

- Hulk

- Expendables 3

- Magnificent 7

- Wonder Woman

- Deep water Horizon

- Midnight Special

- Don't Breath (6Hz)

- Logan

- Olympus Has fallen

- HellBoy2 (6Hz)

- Hacksaw Ridge

- Life

- San Andreas

Lone Survivor has some really hard hitting bass

Sent from my iPhone X using Tapatalk

Sony 65" A1E | Samsung 55" UH8500
Marantz SR6011 AVR l Martin Logan motion 40's, motion 30, and motion 15 rears, Martin Logan AFX Atmos speakers atop the front L&R
SVS PB 16 Ultra x3 l SVS PC12 Plus
Oppo UDP-203 | Samsung UBD-K8500
post #8080 of 15088 Old 06-07-2018, 07:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked: 1442
Quote:

Just for fun, I bolded the titles I currently own, and bolded and italicized the titles I have but haven't watched. I'm still in the process of building my HT, but even in my modest HTiB, all of those movies really shine. I can't wait to rewatch them in my future setup. Most of these movies I got from this thread.

- Batman vs Superman
- Hulk

- Expendables 3
- Magnificent 7
- Wonder Woman (watched in cinema, demolishing bass)
- Deep water Horizon
- Midnight Special
- Don't Breath (6Hz) (watched in cinema, but can't remember the bass)
- Logan
- Olympus Has fallen
- HellBoy2 (6Hz)
- Hacksaw Ridge
- Life
- San Andreas
SBuger and indebtbassfreak like this.
post #8081 of 15088 Old 06-07-2018, 07:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 1264 Post(s)
Liked: 4957
Quote:
But will it play on your br player? My dumb ass had to send Apocalypto back and re order bc I got the region b by mistake.
Yes, I appended the post to say it was Region Free! I'm playing it now in my Blu-ray player, but I do have Noise Reduction on Medium... something I NEVER usually do!

I have tons of different region Blu-rays, because I can just make them Region Free with AnyDVD HD!
richardsim7 and AmerCa like this.

Subwoofers: PSA S3000i x 2 | L+R Front: Onkyo SKF-200F | Center: Onkyo SKC-200C | L+R Surround: Onkyo SKM-200S | Atmos: Pioneer SP-T22A-LR | AVR: Yamaha RX-A660BL | HTPC: Lenovo Q190
post #8082 of 15088 Old 06-07-2018, 08:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pradeep2 View Post
I think Wonder Woman is my go to reference, just incredibly crafted bass, scattered throughout, building up to the tremendous finale. That and Star Wars The Force Awakens.
Agreed on both of those.
Lots of bass, great all-round audio mix plus both are fantastic movies and very re-watchable
biga6761 likes this.
post #8083 of 15088 Old 06-07-2018, 08:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Great point. Every one of those i listed (for me) are re watchable many times over. Battle LA is a bit of a stretch.
For me it would be

Edge of Tomorrow
Oblivion
John Wick
Jack Reacher
The Equalizer
The Accountant
Mission Impossible Rogue Nation
Mission Impossible Ghost Protocol
13 Hours
Star Trek
Mad Max:Fury Road
The Avengers
Captain America :The Winter Soldier
The Incredible Hulk
Interstellar
Olympus Has Fallen

I could (and do! ) watch all of these several times per year and not get sick of them.
Sometimes the mrs walks into the room amd says "this again?.... You only watched it a few weeks ago"

Edit*forgot Olympus has Fallen!!
post #8084 of 15088 Old 06-07-2018, 09:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked: 1442
^^^^^^^^

I dig your list. Many of those are favorites of mine too. Nice to see somene love for The Accountant and The Equalizer!

Vizio 43" D Series 2017 || Onkyo TX383 7.2ch || Fronts: Sony SS-CS5 || Center: Pioneer SP-C22 || Sub: Polk HTS 12 || Surrounds: Micca MB42
post #8085 of 15088 Old 06-07-2018, 09:35 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked: 2316
These are not my favorite bass scenes but they are short, sound amazing and with lots of bass. I seem to throw these in all the time when I don’t have enough time.
Dredd
Priest
Underworld awakening
Cloverfield

Audio Design Associates/Outlaw
Speakerpower SP1-4000
subs-Re audio XXX 18 IB(LT).
DIY speakers-mktheater-S10/S12s
post #8086 of 15088 Old 06-07-2018, 10:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 322 Post(s)
Quoted: 1161 Post(s)
Liked: 3597
Ooooh I’ll play, I love this kind of stuff

I could list so many and go into extreme detail as to why on each one but will try to keep the list short and my most visited over the last couple of months and currently. I’ve made a lot of changes with my system lately with changing rooms and all, plus the latest Atmos upgrade (and more to come), and these seem to be my “Go To’s” that I play all the time. I’m so familiar with them that any changes that I make, it’s easy to notice. Plus, they are just really fun bass tracks IMO that I never tire of, with most of them being pretty good movies too.

So the Atmos tracks first, since most are included on the standard blu ray discs that I own (now that I have Atmos ) ...

-Batman vs Superman
-Justice League
-Transformers: The Last Knight
-Mad Max Fury Road
-Blade Runner 2049
-Guardians of the Galaxy 2 (have to have the 4K disc for this one)

And for the non Atmos that I have and use all the time as well ...

-Underworld Awakening (like MKtheater above)
-Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell no Tales
-The Incredible Hulk
-Tron Legacy
-Avengers: Age of Ultron (MV needs about 10db louder than norm)
-Avengers
-Pacific Rim
-Star Wars: TFA

I’ll stop there, but many more

My "Blacked Out" Home Theater Room
1400cuft sealed room, suspended floor | SY Triple Black Velvet for Blackout | Denon AVR-X6300H - 7.6.4 Atmos | KEF Q Series Speakers | GIK Treatments | Oppo 203 | Epson 5040 4K | Eyes 7' to 120" AT Seymour Screen | 6x 18" Sealed DIY Subs (4x SI DS4-18s & 2x UM22-18s) | 6x Crowson MAs | 4x BK LFEs | BOSS 'Sub Riser' 6x JBL12s | MiniDSP 10x10HD

Last edited by SBuger; 06-07-2018 at 10:36 PM.
post #8087 of 15088 Old 06-07-2018, 10:40 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 672 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3513 Post(s)
Liked: 3195
Just got Fury on 4K today. You guys weren't kidding, it's awesome - both in picure quality and sound. Bass is nuts of course. I rented the blu ray when it came out and hadn't seen it since but I can tell the 4K is quite the upgrade - same for the Atmos.

Just watched The Accountant a couple of nights ago. Even when I know the 50 cal is coming it still scares the sh out of me. LOVE the part when he kills the guy and then akwardly waves good bye to his grateful clients sitting in the truck as he walks away. Perfect - makes me laugh every time.

As far as a bassy movie that I can watch and not get sick of - Hot Fuzz. I don't watch it for the sound though, my wife and I just love the movie. Never gets old. So many great lines and references to earlier parts in the movie... and the over the top gory action and exaggerated on purpose (sometimes boomy but who cares) bass gets me every time.
post #8088 of 15088 Old 06-07-2018, 11:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 322 Post(s)
Quoted: 1161 Post(s)
Liked: 3597
^^^ Cool, can’t wait to check out Fury!!
biga6761 and Pradeep2 like this.

My "Blacked Out" Home Theater Room
1400cuft sealed room, suspended floor | SY Triple Black Velvet for Blackout | Denon AVR-X6300H - 7.6.4 Atmos | KEF Q Series Speakers | GIK Treatments | Oppo 203 | Epson 5040 4K | Eyes 7' to 120" AT Seymour Screen | 6x 18" Sealed DIY Subs (4x SI DS4-18s & 2x UM22-18s) | 6x Crowson MAs | 4x BK LFEs | BOSS 'Sub Riser' 6x JBL12s | MiniDSP 10x10HD
post #8089 of 15088 Old 06-07-2018, 11:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

post #8090 of 15088 Old 06-07-2018, 11:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

The Incredibles (2014) UHD

Both from UHD disc: Dolby Atmos VS DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 ES Matrix

Via http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-In...201205/#Review

The Incredibles earns a Dolby Atmos soundtrack for its UHD debut, and it's more than a little underwhelming. First, it's not as pronounced and intense as one might expect. Disney's muting remains an issue, though perhaps not quite so much as in previous releases, though it still requires a bit of upward volume knob adjustment to find a good listening level. Bass is never quite as intense as one might expect from a movie of this nature. A blasting rocket in chapter 21, for example, offers a tangible bass line, but it's nowhere near as potent as it should be, and comparing the scene with the included DTS-HD MA track, and the Atmos' lessened intensity becomes even more obvious. Overheads don't engage with any substantial, distinct elements, either. Take a scene in chapter six when part of a building collapses under the stress of an intensely burning fire. While the surrounds pick up some details, there's no top-end sensation to really drive the moment home. There are some good moments in the track, such whirling blades chasing Dash through the jungle in chapter 23 with some enjoyable stage zip, but the DTS track is again the winner for sheer elemental intensity, which includes a large explosion partway through the chase. The track does present various atmospherics well, musical clarity and spacing are fine, and dialogue is always intelligible and well prioritized, but there's just not much life, verve, or depth to the track. It's a disappointment; choose the DTS track instead.
Toe, MentatYP, akcorr and 8 others like this.

Last edited by MrGrey; 06-07-2018 at 11:19 PM.
post #8091 of 15088 Old 06-08-2018, 02:00 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 469
Quote:
Originally Posted by brahman12 View Post
Love the Stax 700's you have...love Stax in general....I have the HE-400 's and HE-560's, and VMODA Crossfade 2's.....running from a windows-based laptop, into an ifi idsd BL, and into an ifi ican Pro amp and/or a Schiit Lyre 2 amp. My 560's enjoy power. I enjoy the Sennheisers too....my brother has the 598's and the 700's. I will be getting the Senn 800s and Focal Utopias with a Mytek Manhattan 2 Amp/Dac in the new year as my own personal Christmas gift.
Hey, nice collection! I haven't heard HiFiman's yet, but would love to someday. There's pretty much no place around here to audition headphones :/ The only way I can hear them is to buy them LOL

*edit* Oh yeah, I forgot..if you've seen the Z-Reviews video, that's my pair of L700's that he reviewed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreds View Post
Yeah, except for frequency response after I have my way with them. Here's the Sony 7506's after EQ (unsmoothed) :
Dude, that's a seriously impressive FR graph! That must have taken you a LOT of time and effort........

Heh, let's take the headphone discussion to IMs, so we don't disturb the chi of the fine people in this thread
brahman12 and biga6761 like this.

TCL 55P607, OPPO UDP-203, 4K Fire TV, Marantz 6011, Rotel 1075 (Atmos)
DefTech SM 65 (X7), SVS PB16 Ultra (X2), SVS Prime Elevation (X4)
Headphone rig: PC-> Schiit Wyrd ->Schiit Modi Multibit ->Stax SRM-353X ->THX AAA 789
Headphones: Stax SR-207, Stax SR-L700, M1060, TH-X00 Purpleheart, HD600, HD6XX, etc

Last edited by Keith Zuehlke; 06-08-2018 at 02:13 AM.
post #8092 of 15088 Old 06-08-2018, 02:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmerCa View Post
^^^^^^^^

I dig your list. Many of those are favorites of mine too. Nice to see somene love for The Accountant and The Equalizer!
I've seriously lost count of the amount of times I've watched those 2 movies!!
I don't go out to see movies very often these days, but will definitely be seeing The Equalizer 2 at the cinema when released
biga6761 and AmerCa like this.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
TV: Panasonic P65ST60 AVR: Denon 4311ci Speakers: PSA MTM-210C (Centre), PSA MTM-210 (Left & Right), PSA MT-110 (Surrounds) Subwoofers: Dual Seaton SubMersives
post #8093 of 15088 Old 06-08-2018, 04:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 624
Thanks for the bass graphs, MrGrey. Always interesting to see.

I haven't picked up The Incredibles UHD yet, but here are some of my normal stuff for the original blu-ray DTSMA 5.1. When I do eventually pick it up I'll do the same. From what has been discussed it appears that perhaps someone has potentially corrected some of the mixing (mastering) errors that are baked into the DTSMA track; specifically the clipping which could be due in part of a combination of peak normalization or just increased gain.

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=727
Spoiler!
biga6761 likes this.

Politics is like a corral, no matter where you are you'll always be shoveling it.

Last edited by KMFDMvsEnya; 06-08-2018 at 04:41 AM.
post #8094 of 15088 Old 06-08-2018, 05:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 124
@MrGrey - Thanks for posting. Even between the included DTS-MA track there's a difference. Now imagine the original BD track. Bet you it bests both of those in dynamics and LFE.

Yamaha RX-A2080 + Emotiva XPA-5 | Paradigm Monitor 11 v6 | Paradigm CC-390 | Paradigm Monitor 9 v6 | Pair of Hsu Research HIW-1s | Pair of PSA S3000i subs
post #8095 of 15088 Old 06-08-2018, 05:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMFDMvsEnya View Post
Thanks for the bass graphs, MrGrey. Always interesting to see.

I haven't picked up The Incredibles UHD yet, but here are some of my normal stuff for the original blu-ray DTSMA 5.1. When I do eventually pick it up I'll do the same. From what has been discussed it appears that perhaps someone has potentially corrected some of the mixing (mastering) errors that are baked into the DTSMA track; specifically the clipping which could be due in part of a combination of peak normalization or just increased gain.

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=727
Spoiler!

Is this why Disney has been lowering the volume on their releases? To correct clipping?

Yamaha RX-A2080 + Emotiva XPA-5 | Paradigm Monitor 11 v6 | Paradigm CC-390 | Paradigm Monitor 9 v6 | Pair of Hsu Research HIW-1s | Pair of PSA S3000i subs
post #8096 of 15088 Old 06-08-2018, 06:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1308 Post(s)
Liked: 1674
Quote:
Originally Posted by akcorr View Post
Is this why Disney has been lowering the volume on their releases? To correct clipping?
Possibly, but the problem is just turning up the volume doesn't fix the mix, they've been gimping the dynamic range too, in theory to appease those idiots with soundbars (ie most people)
post #8097 of 15088 Old 06-08-2018, 06:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1593 Post(s)
Liked: 4652
Guess I'll just get the original blu ray for The Incredibles..

Here's my list of favorite bass movies that I never tire of watching

Blade Runner 2049

Mad Max Fury Road

Cloverfield

Drive

Monster House

Power Rangers

Lego Ninjago

Hot Fuzz

Tron Legacy

Oblivion

Godzilla

Alien vs Predator

Earth to Echo

Hellboy 2

Batman vs Superman

Den of Thieves

War Horse

Terminator Salvation

Life

Interstellar

Prometheus

John Wick 2

Incredible Hulk

Jupiter Ascending

It

Dredd

There's so many more but that's my usual go to's.
SBuger, brahman12, asere and 5 others like this.

Last edited by subacabra; 06-08-2018 at 11:30 AM.
post #8098 of 15088 Old 06-08-2018, 06:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by akcorr View Post
There has been nothing substantive to indicate to why various recent Disney releases have included mixes that are lower in volume than many have become accustomed to. Several theories attempt to address it but the most popular ones seem dubious.

In the case of The Incredibles, I am just speculating that with the new mix that the parties involved seem to have corrected the peaking and clipping. If the Atmos mix is closer to the original mix that is solely my speculation and may have nothing to do with reality.

Perhaps there has been a mandate to improve mastering quality by avoiding cooking the mixes with excessive compression, aggressive peak normalization/limiting, and permitting hard clipping. This does not necessarily explain "neutered" bass or "dynamics" which is actually separate from following reasonable mixing practices.

I have begun to wonder if some, or potentially many, home mixes have instead of simply adjusting the levels of say the surrounds that instead the home mixes have been cooked and in some cases deviate greatly from the original mix.

There are a few titles that I have looked into that might lend credence to my theory, with at least some releases, and one title in particular I have done some experiments on seems to potentially affirm this view. The Atmos mix was specially supervised by the director and the UHD includes that mix but the alternative mix is much hotter than the original mix. By cooking the levels with compression and peak normalization of the Atmos mix I have reproduced something similar to the alternative mix.

Hopefully soon I will have some hard data for most of the Jurassic Park mixes that are floating around which should prove interesting and pertinent.

With a few instances in the contested Disney titles I would prefer just a smidge more bass emphasis overall, I do enjoy actually having true dynamic tracks instead of cooked 12dbs or less Loudness Wars mixes. ymmv.
brahman12, biga6761 and brbeck like this.

Politics is like a corral, no matter where you are you'll always be shoveling it.

Last edited by KMFDMvsEnya; 06-08-2018 at 07:02 AM.
post #8099 of 15088 Old 06-08-2018, 06:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1912 Post(s)
Liked: 589
Quote:
Guess I'll just get the original blu ray for The Incredibles..

Here's my list of favorite bass movies that I never tire of watching

Blade Runner 2049

Mad Max Fury Road

Cloverfield

Drive

Monster House

Power Rangers

Lego Ninjago

Hot Fuzz

Tron Legacy

Oblivion

Godzilla

Alien vs Predator

Earth to Echo

Hellboy 2

Batman vs Superman

Den of Thieves

War Horse

Terminator Salvation

Life

Interstellar

Prometheus

John Wick 2

Incredible Hulk

Jupiter Ascending

It

There's so many more but that's my usual go to's.
Great list. Also War of the Worlds and Pulse servo scene.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
biga6761 and subacabra like this.

Samsung PN F8500 60'' TV, Denon AVR X4200W, Onkyo TX SR805, Parasound HCA 1500A, SVS Prime Towers and Center, SVS Prime satellites, Proficient Surrounds, Duo Kreisel DXD subs, PSA S3000i sub, Oppo 103D player, Panamax M5300 PM, Monster HTR 3600
post #8100 of 15088 Old 06-08-2018, 06:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked: 1636
Barrel Roll in FOTP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page