The Ultimate List of BASS in Movies w/ Frequency Charts - Page 321 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 49875Likes

post #9601 of 16095 Old 08-04-2018, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 149 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1737 Post(s)
Liked: 6490
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom (2018)

UHD : DTS:X | Dolby Vision | HDR10
BD : DTS:X
3D : DTS:X

Hopefully it has a really powerful mix.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9602 of 16095 Old 08-04-2018, 06:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1678 Post(s)
Liked: 4894
Nice to see a DTS:X mix!
post #9603 of 16095 Old 08-04-2018, 07:01 PM
Toe
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 2721 Post(s)
Liked: 3569
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFist View Post
Would anyone be kind enough to send me a 3d RP1 Atmos remux and I'll send you some $$$ via paypal??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9604 of 16095 Old 08-04-2018, 07:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 3339 Post(s)
Liked: 8442
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by aron7awol View Post
I can understand feeling that way, but I just want to share that the end result of BEQ is often damn close to what an unfiltered mix sounds like, so I think it goes beyond putting lipstick on a hog, in that it's really no longer a hog, but more like a mutant boss hog that will huff and puff and blow your house down.

At this point, it takes me such a small amount of time looking at the graph, and turning on the filters in the MiniDSP, that I can't imagine not taking the minute or so it takes to do it, in order to make the 2 hour movie drastically more enjoyable.
The miniDSP 2x4HD (IMHO) is one of the best tools for the money to calibrate a 4 sub setup,
My Yamaha YPAO doesn't even EQ below 31.5Hz (mic limitation of many AVR's room calibration)

I AM Totally Pumped that the miniDSP 2x4HD can also double as a BEQ tool as well. BONUS!!!

Also excited that the IR remote was only an extra $6.50
Giving me easy quick access to 4 different pre-determined pre-sets!

To fix ALL the Broken Disney/Pixar/Beuna Vista/Lucas/Marvel 4K titles (and I have almost ALL of them since early 2016) $$$$
....for a mere $200 with a button press on a remote ??? Well Ya, I'm all in!

I spent a CRAP load of money on my Funk Audio subs, (WAY more than anything else in my room)
it would be a shame to deprive them of their Full range of capability for the sake of a couple hundred bucks.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	minidsp_2x4HD.png
Views:	20
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	2437502   Click image for larger version

Name:	minidsp_UMIK-1.png
Views:	18
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	2437504   Click image for larger version

Name:	minidsp_remote.png
Views:	203
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	2437506   Click image for larger version

Name:	RoomEQ_Wizard.png
Views:	6530
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	2437508  

The Unfinished Basement Theater & Whisky Guitar Lounge | Bass EQ for Filtered Movies
JVC DLA X750 4K Projector | 120" Powered Drop Screen | 65" LG 65B6P OLED | Panasonic DMP UB900 | Oppo UDP 203 | HDFury Vertex
Yamaha RX-A3070 | 7.4.4.4 | Mission M3i x11 | Funk Audio 18.0 x2 | Velodyne DLS 5000R x2 | Crowson LvL3 MA x4 | miniDSP 2x4HD

Last edited by PioManiac; 08-05-2018 at 06:12 AM.
post #9605 of 16095 Old 08-04-2018, 10:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1336 Post(s)
Liked: 5386
This really is a pleasant surprise from an otherwise average movie... the bass is vamptastic!!! The gunshots are chest thumping visceral, the LFE resonates in deep dark places and the Dolby Atmos is detailed with active imaging all around and above the soundstage.

I was about to go to bed before throwing this one on and I'd normally snooze through it, but this was an aural treat and something worthy of sharing with the group. Martin Liebman over at Blu-ray.com elaborates further on this 4K UHD Dolby Atmos soundtrack...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Liebman
While the Blu-ray features a DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 lossless soundtrack, this UHD release of Underworld: Blood Wars offers a Dolby Atmos soundtrack. Much like the video comparison, it's not fair to say it's substantially better, but the benefits are obvious from the get-go. The track essentially takes everything that's good about the 5.1 track and enhances it. The track feels bigger, wider, and fuller. The overall sense of space is increased, and it doesn't take long to realize the benefits. The action inside the tunnel at film's start opens up to a much more expansive area. Weapons zip through with an increased sense of movement and place, and, after the battle, dialogue reverberates with significant echoing, including filtering through the top layer. The effect seems a little overly pronounced in the name of increasing the sense of overhead diffusion, so much so that it sounds borderline tinny (which isn't unusual in an Atmos track), but it's fun and a good example of what Atmos can bring to a track. Rainfall more naturally engages the stage at the 35:40 mark, yielding a pronounced overhead effect absent on the 5.1 track. Action scenes enjoy increased activity, depth, and movement. Gunshots hit harder, objects zip faster and zoom with more intensity. Werewolf howls and growls play with increased oomph. In the most chaotic of battle scenes, the overhead element is less obvious and more supportive, generally. Dialogue remains a stalwart, firmly planted in the front-center (beyond natural reverberation) and enjoys expert prioritization, even through the film's most intensive sonic moments.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Underw...169540/#Review

Underworld: Blood Wars 4K UHD Dolby Atmos Bass Graph

post #9606 of 16095 Old 08-04-2018, 10:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
This really is a pleasant surprise from an otherwise average movie... the bass is vamptastic!!! The gunshots are chest thumping visceral, the LFE resonates in deep dark places and the Dolby Atmos is detailed with active imaging all around and above the soundstage.

I was about to go to bed before throwing this one on and I'd normally snooze through it, but this was an aural treat and something worthy of sharing with the group. Martin Liebman over at Blu-ray.com elaborates further on this 4K UHD Dolby Atmos soundtrack...

Thanks SF! Just ordered and with mah reward points was only $6!
post #9607 of 16095 Old 08-05-2018, 03:59 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by PioManiac View Post
The miniDSP (IMHO) is one of the best tools for the money to calibrate a 4 sub setup,
My Yamaha YPAO doesn't even EQ below 31.5Hz (mic limitation of many AVR's room calibration)

I AM Totally Pumped that the miniDSP 2x4HD can also double as a BEQ tool as well. BONUS!!!

Also excited that the IR remote was only an extra $6.50
Giving me easy quick access to 4 different pre-determined pre-sets!

To fix ALL the Broken Disney/Pixar/Beuna Vista/Lucas/Marvel 4K titles (and I have almost ALL of them since early 2016) $$$$
....for a mere $200 with a button press button on a remote ??? Well Ya, I'm all in!

I spent a CRAP load of money on my Funk Audio subs, (WAY more than anything else in my room)
it would be a shame to deprive them of their Full range of capability for the sake of a couple hundred bucks.
Other than cost what is the downside of the miniDSP? Can it handle Atmos etc??

Projector: Epson 6040; Screen: 120" 16:9
Pre-amp: Anthem AVM60; Power Amps: Emotiva XPA2 Gen3, Emotiva XPA7 Gen3;
Subs: 2 x JTR S1's (sealed), LCR: 3 x JTR 228HT; Surrounds: 2 x JTR Single 8HT-LP; Atmos: 2 x JTR Single 8HT-LP
Room: Sealed ~1500^3
post #9608 of 16095 Old 08-05-2018, 04:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked: 1261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott27 View Post
You would use the minidsp with the sub out on your receiver. This only has enough input channels (2) for eq of the sub channel.

In the databass thread the full beq is provided for all bed channels, assuming you have a configuration that supports dsp on 8 channels, and 7 channels of external amplification, and powered sub(s). In that scenario the Atmos channels wouldn't be modified. In either case your receiver can continue to decode and playback the Atmos channels.

Basically the mixers are filtering the other channels in addition to the lfe, with a full beq filtering is also removed from the main channels, theres certainly an improvement in having full range to capable fronts imo. But just the sub bump can be very worthwhile.
post #9609 of 16095 Old 08-05-2018, 04:56 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 768
Yesterday I had a buddy come over for a double feature. He hadn't seen Rampage or Ready Player One yet. He hadn't even heard of Ready Player One and he is a huge video gamer and computer tech that does it for a living. He absolutely loved that movie. Anyway trying to show off I turned my volume up from my usual -20 to -18. At then end of the afternoon he left saying he had a headache.

Watching them both back to back like that I found the sound mix on Rampage not to be the greatest. It was bass heavy with lots of good effects, but the dynamics wasn't as great and seemed to drown out the dialogue at times. I didn't notice this until we watched Ready Player One after. That sound mix is so clean. When the bass is needed it hits hard and you can hear my house move, yet it quiets down and the dialogue is sharp. The separation and of sound effects is supper clean and made Rampage seem muffled by comparison.

TV: LG OLED 65B7A, Receiver: Marantz SR-6012, Blu-Ray Player: LG UBK90, Fronts: JBL S312, Center: JBL S-Center, Surrounds: JBL S38, Top: JBL S36 (4), Subwoofer: 2 PSA S3000i and one PSA XS-30se--- 5.3.4 setup
http://www.blu-ray.com/community/col...&action=hybrid
post #9610 of 16095 Old 08-05-2018, 05:20 AM

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott27 View Post
Warning: Long post with an edit because of a ham fisted accidental mouse click.

Oh certainly, Atmos is no problem as the Minidsp 2x4,2x4 Balanced and 2x4HD are all used as a Sub eq only in most cases. There are larger Minidsp units up to 10x10 that can be used for full system eq as well or I guess if you used enough 2x4 units it could work too. The numbers represent the # of input and output channels so 2x4 is 2 in 4 out and the 10x10 is kinda self explanatory.

The way Brother Pio is referring to using the 2x4HD is as a sub only DSP where the unit gets placed between the system receiver/pre-amp and the subs in the system. This allows signal manipulation after your receiver/pre-amp has already done the Atmos/DTS:X decoding. Although most of the signals coming into your receiver/pre-amp are digital, once decoded/processed the only signals sent out are analog(through the pre-outs or speaker outputs/binding posts), which is what the Minidsp accepts on its inputs( though the 2x4HD can also accept digital signals but not for the purpose of sub DSP). The Minidsp then does an ADC (analog to digital conversion) conversion to convert the signal back to digital allowing for the signal to be manipulated then performs a DAC (digital to analog conversion) conversion then is output to your sub amp/amps.

So what are the downsides?

The 2x4 models all accept differing amounts of max RMS voltage on their inputs and depending on how you have the units internal jumpers positioned, can act as unity gain devices, meaning they output the same voltage that comes in on the input, or the jumpers can be set to allow a higher input voltages(depending on model up to 4 or 8 volts) but are always limited in how much max rms voltage they can output by the maximum the mini can supply which is about 4.6v RMS for the Balanced and HD models and 0.9 volts for the unbalanced model. This can get a little confusing and I myself ended up ordering the wrong model (an unbalanced which is limited to 0.9v output and my amps all need a 1.4v minimum for full power output) when I was first learning DSP and had to end up selling it for the 2x4 balanced model I use now.

The voltage limits can become a problem also when adding large boosts or cuts as well if either are taken too far because it can lead to clipping of the Minidsp itself, so careful attention must be paid when setting up the gain stages and also when doing sub eq and/or BEQ corrections at the same time. There is enough voltage to work with in most cases but a close eye must be kept on a content to content basis especially if used for sub eq and BEQ at the same time.

So for instance if you are running sealed subs that need a +10db Linkwitz Transform and a few filters for a flat response during sub eq, this would limit the amount of BEQ boost that could be applied without clipping the Mini's outputs and should be watched closely. Now lets say during sub eq you only need to add a few mild +/-4db filters for a flat response then you would have much more headroom to work with than in the sealed setup with the +10db LT.

Now please don't take this to mean the Mini is severely limited because it's not. It is a really great piece or gear for the money and I love mine. I recently switched back to using my Mini on my IB and realized what I had been missing. Ever since building my SBA IB I have only used the Mini to eq and delay my Buttkickers and MBM's to blend with the IB and relied upon the DSP built into the 2 bridged Inuke 3k's that power it. Adding the MIni to the IB chain was a big boon for sound quality and took care of some very tough boomy harmonics issues I have fought for months to no avail. The instant the Mini was added the boomy drone was completely removed. Not quite sure how (though I assume through the filtering caps built into the Mini) but you can't imagine what a relief this is as I was considering tearing out the 1yr old IB to build sealed DO boxes for the 8 SI's (and I still might one day but am so relieved to not HAVE to to get the SQ I knew the SI are capable of).

Edit: Accidently hit post before finished. Lol

The Minidsp is really the only option in its price range though if you have more to spend there are much better options out there. I am moving toward a Motu setup myself though I may be saving a while longer before it happens. The abilities of the Motu gear is on another level but so is the price unless you dig deep into the used market which I'm just fine doing and is how I have scored lots of my gear through the years. If you are interested in sub DSP I recommend doing all the reading here at AVS and on all the forums you can stand and be sure you become familiar with whatever unit you intend to purchase, before purchasing to save you the possibility of accidental mistake. I got excited and ordered the wrong Mini myself because I didn't know about the voltage output differences of the units because I had yet to read the Minidsp thread here at AVS. In doing so I learned everything I should have known before purchase and could have saved me money and time. There are tons of options in between the Mini and the Motu stuff but there are lots of things to consider like what job/jobs are you to use said DSP for.

If you intend to sub eq only you may be fine with something that will eq/crossover to 20hz only like some pro eq (i.e. Berry DCX or the like) do but if you intend to BEQ you need something capable of eq into the 10hz range or lower if possible to get the most from your efforts. So do your homework and be sure you maximize your DSP dollars and get the best tool you can for the job. All DSP units, I have found, have their own list of quirks from differing input connections to limited filter/crossover range to price and like everything else comes down to finding a balance of features and price you can live with.

Good luck and please don't hesitate to reach out through PM if I can help you with finding the right Minidsp/DSP for your rig and intended use. The Mini's are great products and will serve you will enough if you know and plan for their limitations.
coolrda, Alan P, SBuger and 7 others like this.

Epson 5040UB-125" Silver Ticket 2.35:1-Xbox One S- HTPC JRiver MC24
Marantz av7702 - Crestron CNAMPX-12x60 Fully Bridged to 6x220 - 2_Crown Xls 2000's
Crown Xls 1500 - Qsc RMX 1450 - Qsc RMX 850 - 2_Inuke 3kDSP's - Inuke 6kDSP
Speakers}7.4.4 Atmos DIYSoundGroup HTM-12's, Volt-8's
Subs}8 SI HT-18 v.2's SBA 11hz Ported IB-Nr Fld 2_PA460 MBM's-UM18 FMarty-2_Buttkicker's

Last edited by biga6761; 08-05-2018 at 06:10 AM.
post #9611 of 16095 Old 08-05-2018, 06:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

^^^^ Great Post Big!

Although there are benefits to using Dirac Live software and REW to EQ/DSP all channels,
I'm only really interested in having my 4 Sub channels aligned and EQ'd below 31Hz where my 3 y/o Yamaha leaves off.
...and the New HUGE side benefit of boosting <20Hz frequencies to my Funk's, where many "Disney" titles drop off a cliff.

Yamaha's YPAO EQ/Room Correction already works very well for >30Hz for me,
and most of my room correction was addressed with proper room treatment first, before even running digital room correction.
...almost no hard/reflective surfaces, diffusion barriers on ceiling and walls, ample bass trap/absorbtion, ideal seat placement,
and toe-in for ALL 11 speakers (and subs) to the MLP "sweet spot".

Although I have Front L/R Towers that are 35Hz capable in my 7.4.4 system,
...even those are set to Small, and crossed at 80Hz 90% of the time,
and only get set to Full Range for 2 Channel audio occasionally.

If I ever find the need for external amplification, I would certainly consider adding a miniDSP10x10

I suspect my next major upgrade may just be a move to another brand,
Denon/Marantz/Anthem/Trinnov, for 7.4.6 ATMOS if Yamaha doesn't step up soon. (fingers crossed for a CX-A5200)

I've already got the matching speakers waiting for TM

coolrda, Tom C, SBuger and 3 others like this.

The Unfinished Basement Theater & Whisky Guitar Lounge | Bass EQ for Filtered Movies
JVC DLA X750 4K Projector | 120" Powered Drop Screen | 65" LG 65B6P OLED | Panasonic DMP UB900 | Oppo UDP 203 | HDFury Vertex
Yamaha RX-A3070 | 7.4.4.4 | Mission M3i x11 | Funk Audio 18.0 x2 | Velodyne DLS 5000R x2 | Crowson LvL3 MA x4 | miniDSP 2x4HD

Last edited by PioManiac; 08-05-2018 at 10:08 AM.
post #9612 of 16095 Old 08-05-2018, 06:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 757 Post(s)
Liked: 1866
Quote:
^^^^ Great Post Big!

Although there are benefits to using Dirac Live software and REW to EQ/DSP all channels,
I'm only really interested in finally getting my 4 Sub channels aligned and EQ'd below 31Hz where my 3 y/o Yamaha leaves off.
...and the side benefit of boosting <20Hz frequencies to my Funk's, where many movies drop off like a cliff.

and most of my room correction was addressed with proper room treatment first, before even running digital room correction.
...no hard/reflective surfaces, diffusion on large walls, ample bass trap/absorbtion, sub placement, toe-in for ALL 11 speakers (and subs) to MLP.

If I ever find the need for external amplification, I would certainly consider adding a miniDSP10x10

Hi Pio!
Do you have any REW measurements showing the combined response of the Funk 18's with the ported nearfield Velo's?

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
TV: Panasonic P65ST60 AVR: Denon X4000 Speakers: PSA MTM-210C (Centre), PSA MTM-210 (Left & Right), PSA MT-110 (Surrounds) Subwoofers: Dual Seaton SubMersives
post #9613 of 16095 Old 08-05-2018, 07:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiebosco View Post
Hi Pio!
Do you have any REW measurements showing the combined response of the Funk 18's with the ported nearfield Velo's?
...only buried deep in a dead laptop lol
Just downloaded REW to the new one just the other day,
jamiebosco and biga6761 like this.

post #9614 of 16095 Old 08-05-2018, 09:02 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 187 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 9289
Quote:
I can understand feeling that way, but I just want to share that the end result of BEQ is often damn close to what an unfiltered mix sounds like, so I think it goes beyond putting lipstick on a hog, in that it's really no longer a hog, but more like a mutant boss hog that will huff and puff and blow your house down.

At this point, it takes me such a small amount of time looking at the graph, and turning on the filters in the MiniDSP, that I can't imagine not taking the minute or so it takes to do it, in order to make the 2 hour movie drastically more enjoyable.
Not me...won't support crap mixes that I have to edit. I have had mini-dsp's and other eq devices in the past. You end up spending more timing fiddling with your setup than sitting back and enjoying it. I got rid of all that stuff and keep it simple...remote in one hand, beer in the other. If I don't like what I am hearing...Next!
Toe, Alan P, Mike Butny and 8 others like this.
post #9615 of 16095 Old 08-05-2018, 09:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 360 Post(s)
Quoted: 1246 Post(s)
Liked: 4025
Quote:

Yep!! I really liked this movie (can't go wrong with Beckinsale ) and thought the video, overall sound and bass was …yes ‘Vamptastic’ like you say LOL

I’ve actually watched it quite a few times and revisit parts of it for demo sometimes. That said, I haven’t checked it out since adding Atmos recently. I need to get the Atmos version since I’ve only got the 5.1 track, even though I bet it up-mixes well.
brahman12, SuperFist and biga6761 like this.

My 'Blacked Out' Home Theater | Tactile Response for BASS | BassEQ for Filtered Movies
1400cuft Sealed Room on Suspended Floor | SY Triple Black Velvet Blackout | GIK Treatments | Denon AVR-X6300H - 7.6.4 Atmos | KEF Q Series Speakers | Epson 5040UB 4K | Eyes 6.5' to 120" AT Seymour Screen | Oppo 203 | Xbox One X | Apple TV 4K | 6x 18" Sealed DIY Subs | 6x Crowson MAs | 4x BK LFEs | BOSS 'Sub Riser' w/ 6x JBL-12s | MiniDSP 10x10HD
post #9616 of 16095 Old 08-05-2018, 12:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 413 Post(s)
Quoted: 2799 Post(s)
Liked: 11948
Quote:
Originally Posted by biga6761 View Post
The voltage limits can become a problem also when adding large boosts or cuts as well if either are taken too far because it can lead to clipping of the Minidsp itself, so careful attention must be paid when setting up the gain stages and also when doing sub eq and/or BEQ corrections at the same time. There is enough voltage to work with in most cases but a close eye must be kept on a content to content basis especially if used for sub eq and BEQ at the same time.

So for instance if you are running sealed subs that need a +10db Linkwitz Transform and a few filters for a flat response during sub eq, this would limit the amount of BEQ boost that could be applied without clipping the Mini's outputs and should be watched closely. Now lets say during sub eq you only need to add a few mild +/-4db filters for a flat response then you would have much more headroom to work with than in the sealed setup with the +10db LT.
I love your post, but just want to touch upon this particular topic...

Assuming:
1. The MiniDSP maximum output voltage is higher than the input sensitivity of the amp(s), which is a necessity anyway to take advantage of all of the amp power.
2. The signal chain (including the MiniDSP) is set up properly, so that it doesn't clip with the hottest possible transients in unfiltered full-bandwidth content.
3. BEQ is done properly.

General EQ that remains enabled even on full-bandwidth content (sub EQ, house curve EQ, etc.) does eat up headroom, but BEQ doesn't really eat up headroom or risk voltage clipping in the MiniDSP when applied properly only to content that needs it. This is because the heavy boosts only apply to signals that are very low-level, bringing them up to still-reasonable-levels.

In other words, if proper BEQ causes clipping, then the signal chain was not set up properly, and it will also occur with the hottest transients without BEQ. Generally, this occurs when someone is trying to push their subs/amps harder than they should, due to not having enough sub for their space and listening levels. Not enough overall sub headroom, the root cause of most signal chain issues.

This is confirmed by watching the MiniDSP meters and testing before/after BEQ. There's hardly any difference at the peaks. It's important to note that I have 12dB of shelving filters in my MiniDSP for sub EQ / house curve, similar to the +10dB LT you mention, so I am a pretty good high-risk test case.

I know the 30dB boosts look scary, but they are being applied to signals at levels that are fractions of a mV.
carp, SBuger, PioManiac and 3 others like this.

Take the Red Pill (BassEQ) BassEQ Demo Clips
Video: Sony 85" X900F @ 80" eyes-to-screen (49.4° viewing angle)
Audio: Denon AVR-X4400H 7.2.4 Atmos
Mains: Fusion-15 LR, Custom Tapered Ported Volt-6 Center, Ported Volt-10 Surrounds, Custom 45°/45° Double-Angled Ported Volt-6 Atmos
Subs: The Two Towers (HT18 32cf 11.5Hz x 2), UM18 4cf x 2, Crowson MAs x 4
post #9617 of 16095 Old 08-05-2018, 12:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Extinction on Netflix has some pretty good bass for a Netflix original. Still has that typical neutered Netflix volume and not much use of surrounds though.

I watched in regular DD, might be better with the Atmos version and the DD plus soundtrack.
post #9618 of 16095 Old 08-05-2018, 12:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
@AmerCa is spot on in his description of this audio track... with the Dolby Surround upmixer, this easily sounds like it is an object-based audio mix with discrete sounds all around and above you. For those who haven't watched this in a while, it definitely begs to be revisited! This movie also makes me wish the original 300 audio and video was mixed and mastered in the same way without so much intentional digital noise, but that's just a personal preference.

300: Rise Of An Empire DTS-MA HD 7.1 Bass Graph

Watching this now. Spot on! Sounds terrific!
Crisp, clear dialogue. Awesome surround and height activity. Deep hard hitting bass.
SuperFist and AmerCa like this.

Last edited by subacabra; 08-05-2018 at 01:03 PM.
post #9619 of 16095 Old 08-05-2018, 01:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
^^^^ Great Post Big!

I'm only really interested in having my 4 Sub channels aligned and EQ'd below 31Hz where my 3 y/o Yamaha leaves off.
...and the New HUGE side benefit of boosting <20Hz frequencies to my Funk's, where many "Disney" titles drop off a cliff.

...almost no hard/reflective surfaces, diffusion barriers on ceiling and walls, ample bass trap/absorbtion, ideal seat placement,
and toe-in for ALL 11 speakers (and subs) to the MLP "sweet spot".

I suspect my next major upgrade may just be a move to another brand,
Denon/Marantz/Anthem/Trinnov, for 7.4.6 ATMOS if Yamaha doesn't step up soon. (fingers crossed for a CX-A5200)

I've already got the matching speakers waiting for TM

[/img]

I'm guessing you'll be disrupting the rest of the house much more substantially with 20db of low shelf at 20Hz or below applied
Just watching The Last Jedi with that applied on the sub out and its very satisfying, but also causing quite a bit more tactile disturbance upstairs.
PioManiac, brahman12 and biga6761 like this.
post #9620 of 16095 Old 08-05-2018, 02:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pradeep2 View Post
I'm guessing you'll be disrupting the rest of the house much more substantially with 20db of low shelf at 20Hz or below applied
Just watching The Last Jedi with that applied on the sub out and its very satisfying, but also causing quite a bit more tactile disturbance upstairs.
No Doubt!

The Last Jedi was such a huge let down after The Force Awakens shook the foundation.
I wonder if Disney/LucasFilm had too many complaints of HTIB/Soundbars exploding from the Force in TFA

I typically repeat view almost every title I purchase several times, TLJ 4K/UHD only once and got shelved.
I still have yet to break the seal on my imported UK 3D/Steelbook version because I was so pissed.

SuperFist, biga6761 and AmerCa like this.

Last edited by PioManiac; 08-05-2018 at 02:19 PM.
post #9621 of 16095 Old 08-05-2018, 02:12 PM

Quote:
I love your post, but just want to touch upon this particular topic...

Assuming:
1. The MiniDSP maximum output voltage is higher than the input sensitivity of the amp(s), which is a necessity anyway to take advantage of all of the amp power.
2. The signal chain (including the MiniDSP) is set up properly, so that it doesn't clip with the hottest possible transients in unfiltered full-bandwidth content.
3. BEQ is done properly.

General EQ that remains enabled even on full-bandwidth content (sub EQ, house curve EQ, etc.) does eat up headroom, but BEQ doesn't really eat up headroom or risk voltage clipping in the MiniDSP when applied properly only to content that needs it. This is because the heavy boosts only apply to signals that are very low-level, bringing them up to still-reasonable-levels.

In other words, if proper BEQ causes clipping, then the signal chain was not set up properly, and it will also occur with the hottest transients without BEQ. Generally, this occurs when someone is trying to push their subs/amps harder than they should, due to not having enough sub for their space and listening levels. Not enough overall sub headroom, the root cause of most signal chain issues.

This is confirmed by watching the MiniDSP meters and testing before/after BEQ. There's hardly any difference at the peaks. It's important to note that I have 12dB of shelving filters in my MiniDSP for sub EQ / house curve, similar to the +10dB LT you mention, so I am a pretty good high-risk test case.

I know the 30dB boosts look scary, but they are being applied to signals at levels that are fractions of a mV.
Beautifully written and I couldn't have said it any better myself. I tried to go into enough detail to be meaningful but as my post was getting long already I didn't go in too crazy detail on that section. As long as a body does their homework and prepare for WSC's (meaning worst cases we know of, not a true 7.1 WSC signal) with proper gain staging, as you mention, all should be well. I just wanted to be sure to caution the uninitiated well enough not to cause excessive clipping in their signal chain because of improper gain staging and over boosting at the same time. This is also why I recommended doing all the reading possible for any looking into going with any DSP for sub eq or BEQ as there is quite a bit to consider and it can be pretty easy to get wrong if care is not taken.

Again amazing highly detailed post Aron. You have a firm grasp on what you are doing and are really good at explaining it. We really should be able to put together a great BEQ thread and should try to get together soon on starting it. My time is a bit thin this time of year but I am usually up late most every night and could work on it some then. Or as an alternative I have a good bit more time in the fall and winter so worst case I could give a lot more time to it then. I will try to PM you later on this week to get your thoughts. Keep up the great work brother.
brahman12, SuperFist and aron7awol like this.

Marantz av7702 - Crestron CNAMPX-12x60 Fully Bridged to 6x220 - 2_Crown Xls 2000's
Subs}8 SI HT-18 v.2's SBA 11hz Ported IB-Nr Fld 2_PA460 MBM's-UM18 FMarty-2_Buttkicker's

Last edited by biga6761; 08-05-2018 at 04:01 PM.
post #9622 of 16095 Old 08-05-2018, 02:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 5219 Post(s)
Liked: 3389
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmerCa View Post
300: Rise Of An Empire

Apparently this movie hasn't been graphed, and I couldn't find any mention of it in this thread. I don't know how low this movie hits, but the audio mix is outstanding and I don't think many people would be disappointed with this track. Those who can upmix it to ATMOS or DTS:X will be for a treat, because the surround activity is phenomenal. If you have the chance, give it a spin, and share your thoughts.

Edit: I wanted to post a cool pic of the movie, but it shows like a miniscule thumbnail, lol.

Edit 2: I give up, I can't resize or upload pics properly.
On your thumb, right click, copy image address, then edit your post and paste the thumb url which looks like https://www.avsforum.com/forum/attac...1&d=1532641859 and remove everything after the attachmentid=somenumber part and wrap it in [img][/img] tags so it looks like:

AmerCa likes this.

Video: JVC RS4500 135" screen in pure black room no light, htpc nvidia 1080ti.
Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #9623 of 16095 Old 08-05-2018, 02:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
No Doubt!

The Last Jedi was such a huge let down after The Force Awakens shook the foundation.
I wonder if Disney/LucasFilm had too many complaints of HTIB/Soundbars exploding from the Force in TFA

I typically repeat view almost every title I purchase several times, TLJ 4K/UHD only once and got shelved.
I still have yet to break the seal on my imported UK 3D/Steelbook version because I was so pissed.
I would definitely give it another play with at least 20db of low shelf at 20Hz (or less if you have sub 20Hz dsp capability, the full BEQ has a few recommended changes beyond that). Its a completely different experience with that applied. Also need to turn up the main volume compared to most movies.
post #9624 of 16095 Old 08-05-2018, 02:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGrey View Post

Wow, Avengers: Infinity War mix is straight trash!!
I have zero hopes for the DTS-HD or Atmos mix being any different.

No Impact
No Depth
No Dynamics ❌

I scanned through the DTS-MA track on this a bit, quickly, and I think it might be the worst audio mix ever released. The main problem is that all the sounds seem extra compressed so the dynamics are shot. There's no amount of EQ or increase in volume that will help this problem. I doubt the atmos track will be any better. I was hoping the DTS-MA track would be good because I don't think Disney puts much into the height channels so a DTS-MA upscale to atmos might do more for ambiance. This is a real disappointment.
SuperFist, MrGrey and AmerCa like this.

Audio: Anthem mrx720 running 7.1.4, McIntosh MC-303, MC-152, B&W 802d3 LR, B&W HTM1D3 center, B&W 805d3 surround, B&W 702S2 rear, B&W 706s2 x 4 shelf mounted for atmos, 2 sub arrays both infinite baffle: 4x15 fi audio running on behringer ep4000 + 4x12 fi audio running on 2nd ep4000.
post #9625 of 16095 Old 08-05-2018, 02:34 PM

Quote:
No Doubt!

While the mix is not great I was shocked as shiz to find how much ULF was hiding under the filters they applied during mixing.
I used MaxMercy's correction from the Databass BEQ thread and implemented it per channel in JRiver as prescribed and the bass really come around as did the tonal balance so I would imagine the post bass mgt. method should be very similar. As much ULF as there is hiding in this one, I think you will be much happier with it once you get your Mini and start correcting Pio. The one good thing is there is zero clipping in the track and the dynamics aren't terrible once the MV is bumped to reference. Though still lacking compared to say RP1, BEQ really does help TLJ quite a lot.
brahman12 and SuperFist like this.

post #9626 of 16095 Old 08-05-2018, 02:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredxr2d2 View Post
Looks the same as Guardians of the Galaxy, GotG2, Age of Ultron, etc., etc.

I'd say, if you enjoyed those mixes, the only thing you need to do with Infinity War is turn it up about 5dB.
Unfortunately, it's far worse. The dynamics are just shot. It's nothing like those mixes. There's one scene with a huge fight in a field in Wakonda where some huge white power explosion happens and the volume of that is way lower than the rest of the scene. It's so compressed it feels like the radio did in the 90s when a powerful note hits and is lower volume than the rest of the track due to audio compression. This seems like it's going to be the worst butcher job ever done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinemaCody View Post
Interesting. Because the Graph looks like it has an average dynamic range of 30dB which is almost exactly like Guardians of the Galaxy 2, which wasn't bad at all in my opinion. And probably still more dynamic range than most movies have. I am wondering why it sounds the way you are describing it.
Maybe this shows, that graphs can't really tell wheather a mix is impactfull or not.
Those movies were a little bit poorly mixed but it wasn't so bad compared to this.
AmerCa likes this.

post #9627 of 16095 Old 08-05-2018, 02:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pradeep2 View Post
I would definitely give it another play with at least 20db of low shelf at 20Hz (or less if you have sub 20Hz dsp capability, the full BEQ has a few recommended changes beyond that). Its a completely different experience with that applied. Also need to turn up the main volume compared to most movies.
Yep, that seems par for the course for all recent Disney/Pixar/Marvel titles lately

...a few of my Pre-Orders that will all likely get similar BEQ

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Steelbook Pre-Orders.png
Views:	186
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	2437766  
biga6761 likes this.

Last edited by PioManiac; 08-05-2018 at 02:47 PM.
post #9628 of 16095 Old 08-05-2018, 02:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Ok folks, as promised! Ready Player One bomb at reference! This was insane. Loudest bass I've ever experienced with my system. It literally launched a tequila bottle six feet off a shelf in my bar room. Multiple pictures down, neighbors probably wondering if there was an earthquake lol
Holy crap
post #9629 of 16095 Old 08-05-2018, 02:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biga6761 View Post
I'm about to have a first crack at this and it will also be my first time watching it as I skipped it in the theater. This is the first Avengers I didn't see in theaters and I had high hopes but looks like BEQ to the rescue. I just hope the lossless mixes are a bit more dynamic than Mr.Grey's mayonnaise sandwich. Lol I just about spit lemonade into my keyboard on that one.

At any rate you almost read my mind on the first run BEQ filters for this mix. I was thinking about trying to reach a little higher up to the notch at 23'ish Hz +7db with my first filter and then add 2 more at 18hz +6db each. But since you have had a go already I'm gonna run with yours first and go from there. Let me know where you land and I'll do the same.
Quote:
I generally try to let the mix be itself other than countering the rolloff, and choose my LS filters based on where I want the boost to begin and end. The -20dB line has been generally my target.

The 16dB LS @ 18Hz is +3.5dB @ 23Hz and +6dB @ 20Hz, which looks to be about perfect in that area. Continue down and it's +11.4dB @ 15Hz and +16.3dB @ 10Hz, both are right on the money.

I also knew by looking at the red average line all the way to the right (120Hz+ area) that the level was low and that I'd likely be boosting MV by 5dB, so I didn't want to get any more aggressive than I already was, knowing my -20dB target was going to become -15dB.

Perhaps for future BEQs on films that don't need a MV bump I'll adjust my target slightly so that the peaks after BEQ touch -15dB but don't go any higher.
What exactly is BEQ? Is there a tutorial somewhere? i'd be interested in something to BEQ the sound track and remux it into a file but not something that BEQ on the fly, I'd rather bitstream the audio in the end.

post #9630 of 16095 Old 08-05-2018, 02:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Your poor son keeps getting taken out....

I was worried but then saw the bottle unscathed on the carpet...best to pack all that stufff up into padded boxes now.
Tom C, SuperFist, biga6761 and 3 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page