The Ultimate List of BASS in Movies w/ Frequency Charts - Page 488 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 49852Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #14611 of 16087 Old 05-18-2019, 06:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MagnumX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Midwest USA
Posts: 1,972
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1141 Post(s)
Liked: 659
I've got "Get Out" (4K UHD with DTS:X) and Don't Breathe (obviously only one available with 5.1) on order. Should be here tomorrow.... It'll be interesting.

Click THEATER (Updated: May-22-2019) for pics: Epson 3100 3D Projector, DaLite 92" screen, 11.1.6 (Marantz SR7012 + Yamaha HTR-5960 + Onkyo ESPro) - Dialog Lift - PSB T45/B15/S50/X1T/CS500 Speakers & Def Tech PF-1500 15" sub; 2nd Room (Updated Apr-22-2019): 48" Plasma TV, Carver AL-III, Carver C-5 Pre-Amp, Technics SH-AC500D, Dual Carver TFM-35x Amps (Active Bi-Amp), Klipsch Surrounds ; Sources: PS4, LG UP875 UHD, Nvidia Shield (KODI), ATV4K, Zidoo X9S, LD, GameCube : Props (Updated 10-13-19)
MagnumX is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #14612 of 16087 Old 05-18-2019, 09:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
AmerCa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Mexico
Posts: 1,404
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 848 Post(s)
Liked: 1789
Mad Max: Fury Road (2015)

What did I just watch? WHAT DID I JUST WATCH??

OMG!! This movie is otherworldly, a true marvel if I ever watched one! Just a few years ago I watched this film on a tiny screen on a bus. I watched like 30 minutes before writing this movie off and turning it off so I'd rather go to sleep. Boy, how wrong I was!

This movie is the Tron: Legacy of post apocalyptic worlds, a perfect marriage between visuals, action and audio, and belongs in the category of infinite replay value movies. How can you even get tired of watching a masterpiece like this?

The bass lived up to its reputation, and some more. It was hard pounding, and complemented perfectly the action. It was pummeling and relentless, and at the same time exciting and made my heart beat faster, almost to an intoxicating level. Junkie XL's score (the electronic world counterpart of Hans Zimmer, and also his frequent collaborator) is bonkers, and is perfect for the film. I can't imagine this movie without this fantastic score running through the movie's veins. The soundtrack and sound design blend so well with the rest of the film that it's essentially just one big block of an orgasmic cinematic experience. Yes, the bass is magnificent, and yet it's only one part on an amazing whole. My jaw was on the floor until the very last second.

This is an indisputable demo disc, and belongs in everyone's collection, especially if you're an HT enthusiast. If, like me, for some reason haven't checked this marvel of top tier action, visuals and sound, don't hesitate to get this one, it's worth every penny you pay for it. You'll watch it countless times.

Enviado desde mi XT1032 mediante Tapatalk
Toe, tbass2k, SBuger and 16 others like this.

Vizio 43" D Series 2017 || Onkyo TX383 7.2ch || Fronts: Sony SS-CS5 || Center: Pioneer SP-C22 || Sub: Polk HTS 12 || Surrounds: Micca MB42
AmerCa is online now  
post #14613 of 16087 Old 05-19-2019, 06:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
PioManiac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Alberta Canada
Posts: 6,400
Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3338 Post(s)
Liked: 8431
Did you forget which thread you're posting in
Mad Max Fury Road...has been the King of the Bass-Fest Movies since Sept. 2015.

It was the first 4K/UHD movie I double dipped for when I first moved to 4K in 2016
and easily the single most replayed disc in my collection. My Go-To disc for a HT Demo.
(The BD, 3D, 4K and Black & Chrome edition....all have ATMOS audio)

Great LFE for all subs in the 20Hz-40Hz range, and even has strong 10Hz at -15dB for the ULF freaks!
Non-stop action bass assault is pure High Octane ....a "soozefest" ?





Someone should graph the original from 1979

[EDIT] Done! (thanks Aron!)


Mad Max (1979) DTS-HD MA 5.1

(dashed line)


Right Side without BEQ, right off the disc lol



Toe, SBuger, jamiebosco and 6 others like this.

The Unfinished Basement Theater & Whisky Guitar Lounge | Bass EQ for Filtered Movies
JVC DLA X750 4K Projector | 120" Powered Drop Screen | 65" LG 65B6P OLED | Panasonic DMP UB900 | Oppo UDP 203 | HDFury Vertex
Yamaha RX-A3070 | 7.4.4.4 | Mission M3i x11 | Funk Audio 18.0 x2 | Velodyne DLS 5000R x2 | Crowson LvL3 MA x4 | miniDSP 2x4HD

Last edited by PioManiac; 05-21-2019 at 06:51 PM.
PioManiac is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #14614 of 16087 Old 05-19-2019, 07:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tbass2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Alabama
Posts: 1,335
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Yea, Fury Road is great in all ways....I don't care what anyone says....can't please everyone tho.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
SuperFist and richardsim7 like this.
tbass2k is online now  
post #14615 of 16087 Old 05-19-2019, 07:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MrGrey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 3,040
Mentioned: 149 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1737 Post(s)
Liked: 6490
Godzilla (1998) UHD Bass Graph

Constant surround activity for 2 hours straight!



Trailer


MrGrey is offline  
post #14616 of 16087 Old 05-19-2019, 08:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
PioManiac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Alberta Canada
Posts: 6,400
Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3338 Post(s)
Liked: 8431
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGrey View Post
Godzilla (1998) UHD Bass Graph

Constant surround activity for 2 hours straight!

Spoiler!


I was really on the fence with this one, then I read some of the rave reviews for the ATMOS audio
...They were 100% right! Lot's of overhead activity, definitely worth $19 for 4K/UHD/ATMOS

BEQ link

jamiebosco, SuperFist and MrGrey like this.

The Unfinished Basement Theater & Whisky Guitar Lounge | Bass EQ for Filtered Movies
JVC DLA X750 4K Projector | 120" Powered Drop Screen | 65" LG 65B6P OLED | Panasonic DMP UB900 | Oppo UDP 203 | HDFury Vertex
Yamaha RX-A3070 | 7.4.4.4 | Mission M3i x11 | Funk Audio 18.0 x2 | Velodyne DLS 5000R x2 | Crowson LvL3 MA x4 | miniDSP 2x4HD

Last edited by PioManiac; 05-19-2019 at 12:41 PM.
PioManiac is offline  
post #14617 of 16087 Old 05-19-2019, 08:31 AM
Advanced Member
 
Zarkoff500's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Seattle
Posts: 518
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by raistline View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariogonzalezzz View Post
does redbox disks have atmos audio?
every disk ive rented doesnt have atmos in the audio menu.
i suppose i can just choose atmos with my avr but thats not real atmos is it
This greatly depends on the studio. For example, Lionsgate and Sony will only give RedBox rental-copies of discs and those often don't even have HD-Audio let alone Atmos or DTS:X. There are rare exceptions where RedBox supplies the non-rental copies and also any 4K disc that goes to RedBox is the full retail copy with all the aural and video splendor that 4K holds. Most other studios though don't use the neutered rental copies and in those cases whether or not the movie has Atmos entirely depends on whether or not the they released the Blu-Ray copy with Atmos or if the studio reserved that for 4K in order to add a value proposition to 4K.
I've purchased RP1, Annihalation, Hunter Killer, Fallen Kingdom, AQP, & Overlord all from Redbox with Atmos/DTSX intact. Plus they were all $4-$5 which I couldn't pass up.
SuperFist likes this.
Zarkoff500 is online now  
post #14618 of 16087 Old 05-19-2019, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MrGrey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 3,040
Mentioned: 149 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1737 Post(s)
Liked: 6490
Godzilla (1998) It's not Deep Space, Subterranean, Blockhole bass but it gets the job done. the MOST incredible thing about this movie is it's speaker activity, it's never ending and RAW. As the user said above it's amazing in Atmos and in my opinion can be called an Reference Atmos track and worth the purchase even with it being TARDzilla .

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

Last edited by MrGrey; 05-19-2019 at 09:20 AM.
MrGrey is offline  
post #14619 of 16087 Old 05-19-2019, 09:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
PioManiac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Alberta Canada
Posts: 6,400
Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3338 Post(s)
Liked: 8431
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumX View Post
If the ONLY thing that matters to you in life about movies is bass content rather than story/plot content might I suggest a low frequency sweep generator tied to some pictures of grass growing??? It'd still be more fun than Fury Road. 🙂
Typical Straw Man Fallacy ^^^^^





The Unfinished Basement Theater & Whisky Guitar Lounge | Bass EQ for Filtered Movies
JVC DLA X750 4K Projector | 120" Powered Drop Screen | 65" LG 65B6P OLED | Panasonic DMP UB900 | Oppo UDP 203 | HDFury Vertex
Yamaha RX-A3070 | 7.4.4.4 | Mission M3i x11 | Funk Audio 18.0 x2 | Velodyne DLS 5000R x2 | Crowson LvL3 MA x4 | miniDSP 2x4HD

Last edited by PioManiac; 05-19-2019 at 06:29 PM.
PioManiac is offline  
post #14620 of 16087 Old 05-19-2019, 10:22 AM
Toe
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Toe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 16,731
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2720 Post(s)
Liked: 3560
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumX View Post
If the ONLY thing that matters to you in life about movies is bass content rather than story/plot content might I suggest a low frequency sweep generator tied to some pictures of grass growing??? It'd still be more fun than Fury Road. 🙂

There are plenty of good movies with bass in them out there.... 😉

MMFR not fun????? That movie is in the top 3, and probably #1 for most FUN HT rides I've ever experienced in my HT. 2d or 3d, it's a total thrill ride. Your certainly entitled to your opinion of course, but if that opening ~30 minutes doesnt give you a massive HT boner, I dont get it.

First time I watched it was Labor Day the year it came out. Me and the GF had just come off of 3 nights of Phish concerts and we were fried mentally, emotionally and everything else. Our ears were cashed, but we decided a movie sounded like a good idea. MMFR was sitting there and she said let's watch this.....ok, cool. Throw it in, crank up to my normal reference level (she was awesome.....loved it LOUD!!!) and right at the peak of that sand storm sequence we paused the film both laughing our asses off wondering WTF just happened?!?! The BASS, the visuals, the action......THE BASS just completely blew us away and was just the most amazing cherry on the sundae after the amazing weekend of Phish shows we had just experienced. We finished the rest of the movie and I remember us coming upstairs and we were both just speechless and dumbfounded!

MMFR IMO might be the all time best HT movie experience.
Alan P, SBuger, hdtv316 and 9 others like this.
Toe is online now  
post #14621 of 16087 Old 05-19-2019, 10:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
AmerCa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Mexico
Posts: 1,404
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 848 Post(s)
Liked: 1789
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumX
I take it you've never seen a Mad Max movie before? Try an actual good one (The Road Warrior with Mel Gibson). This one felt like a level on Borderlands II.
You're right, I think this is the first Mad Max movie I've seen (that I can remember). I saw the original trilogy for like 8 bucks, I think I might give them a chance.

Back to your film critique, I think you're spot on, and that's why you'll notice I never mentioned the plot. Like you say, it's a dumb action movie, but one of the best at that. Honestly, I'm quite surprised it didn't work for you, at least on an audiovisual and technical level, but we all look for different things in movies.

Mortal Engines I enjoyed a lot as well, although for different reasons. But it can't touch MMFR in sheer madness and bass assault, certainly not in action and arguably not in visuals. But at least it has a plot, so I'll give you that

Enviado desde mi XT1032 mediante Tapatalk
Toe and hdtv316 like this.

Vizio 43" D Series 2017 || Onkyo TX383 7.2ch || Fronts: Sony SS-CS5 || Center: Pioneer SP-C22 || Sub: Polk HTS 12 || Surrounds: Micca MB42
AmerCa is online now  
post #14622 of 16087 Old 05-19-2019, 10:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
subacabra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Hillsborough, New Jersey
Posts: 2,541
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1677 Post(s)
Liked: 4884
Ht boner. Lol
Toe and AmerCa like this.
subacabra is online now  
post #14623 of 16087 Old 05-19-2019, 10:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
PioManiac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Alberta Canada
Posts: 6,400
Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3338 Post(s)
Liked: 8431
We finally got around to watching Spider-Man Into the Spiderverse in (((3D))) yesterday afternoon.
...well worth waiting for (had to import that one thru ebay from Sri Lanka ($18) No NA release

Audio track is DTS-HD MA 5.1 but I up-mixed with Neural:X and threw in a little BEQ for some Single Digit ULF love.

Great 3D, and much better then the 4K/HDR version, which is most often the case for Animated flicks with a 2K DI Master.

Can't wait for HTTYD Hidden World on Tuesday!
(4K + 3D on the way, had to import the 3D from the UK)

The Unfinished Basement Theater & Whisky Guitar Lounge | Bass EQ for Filtered Movies
JVC DLA X750 4K Projector | 120" Powered Drop Screen | 65" LG 65B6P OLED | Panasonic DMP UB900 | Oppo UDP 203 | HDFury Vertex
Yamaha RX-A3070 | 7.4.4.4 | Mission M3i x11 | Funk Audio 18.0 x2 | Velodyne DLS 5000R x2 | Crowson LvL3 MA x4 | miniDSP 2x4HD
PioManiac is offline  
post #14624 of 16087 Old 05-19-2019, 10:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
PioManiac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Alberta Canada
Posts: 6,400
Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3338 Post(s)
Liked: 8431
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmerCa View Post
Mortal Engines I enjoyed a lot as well, although for different reasons. But it can't touch MMFR in sheer madness and bass assault, certainly not in action and arguably not in visuals. But at least it has a plot, so I'll give you that

Enviado desde mi XT1032 mediante Tapatalk
I remember stopping Mortal Engines within the first few minutes because I started it on the OLED,
Immediately fired up the projector and dropped the Big Screen because the visuals were so Epic!



The 30Hz limited ATMOS track needed a little BEQ help, afterall a Rolling City is deserving of a lot deeper ULF!

I tried to watch it again last night in 3D this time (yet another import that took an additional month to arrive)
....and I actually fell asleep, That very rarely happens, so I may give it another chance next weekend.


The Unfinished Basement Theater & Whisky Guitar Lounge | Bass EQ for Filtered Movies
JVC DLA X750 4K Projector | 120" Powered Drop Screen | 65" LG 65B6P OLED | Panasonic DMP UB900 | Oppo UDP 203 | HDFury Vertex
Yamaha RX-A3070 | 7.4.4.4 | Mission M3i x11 | Funk Audio 18.0 x2 | Velodyne DLS 5000R x2 | Crowson LvL3 MA x4 | miniDSP 2x4HD

Last edited by PioManiac; 05-19-2019 at 11:05 AM.
PioManiac is offline  
post #14625 of 16087 Old 05-19-2019, 11:13 AM
Toe
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Toe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 16,731
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2720 Post(s)
Liked: 3560
Quote:
Originally Posted by PioManiac View Post
We finally got around to watching Spider-Man Into the Spiderverse in (((3D))) yesterday afternoon.
...well worth waiting for (had to import that one thru ebay from Sri Lanka ($18) No NA release

Audio track is DTS-HD MA 5.1 but I up-mixed with Neural:X and threw in a little BEQ for some Single Digit ULF love.

Great 3D, and much better then the 4K/HDR version, which is most often the case for Animated flicks with a 2K DI Master.

Can't wait for HTTYD Hidden World on Tuesday!
(4K + 3D on the way, had to import the 3D from the UK)
Had a forum friend that was kind enough to send me some remuxed Atmos+3d titles and Spiderverse was one of them. Agreed that the 3d was great! I actually loved the 4k version as well as the WCG/HDR seemed to be a standout on this title. Loved it both ways and cant go wrong either way IMO.
Toe is online now  
post #14626 of 16087 Old 05-19-2019, 11:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MagnumX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Midwest USA
Posts: 1,972
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1141 Post(s)
Liked: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmerCa View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumX
I take it you've never seen a Mad Max movie before? Try an actual good one (The Road Warrior with Mel Gibson). This one felt like a level on Borderlands II.
You're right, I think this is the first Mad Max movie I've seen (that I can remember). I saw the original trilogy for like 8 bucks, I think I might give them a chance.

Back to your film critique, I think you're spot on, and that's why you'll notice I never mentioned the plot. Like you say, it's a dumb action movie, but one of the best at that. Honestly, I'm quite surprised it didn't work for you, at least on an audiovisual and technical level, but we all look for different things in movies.

Mortal Engines I enjoyed a lot as well, although for different reasons. But it can't touch MMFR in sheer madness and bass assault, certainly not in action and arguably not in visuals. But at least it has a plot, so I'll give you that

Enviado desde mi XT1032 mediante Tapatalk
I never said I had a problem with the sound (and in my case the 3D as well). What I'm trying to get across (and clearly failing in some cases) is that a great picture and great sound <> a great movie. They are icing on the cake, but I've got to have some cake or it's just icing. The Maltese Falcon doesn't have anywhere near as much icing, but oh what glorious cake! Yes, I realize this thread is supposedly about bass, but the comments I addressed weren't really about bass either.

Now some people love icing by itself. I'd liken this to limiting oneself to audiophile recordings purely because one figures mass market recordings aren't good enough for a glorious high end system and many audiophiles aren't so much into music as the sound itself. I've always tried to maintain some balance there as not all good music is recorded and mastered well and I could fall asleep to some really perfect recordings of boring as hell music.

There's no accounting for taste/subjectivity either. The actual plot just disappointed me here. They lost me once and for all when they turned around. I guess I wanted some more depth to the story and it's basically a turn and burn flick set in the Mad Max universe with some dude they want me to pretend is Mel Gibson. It's not that it wasn't well made, but that it has no reason to exist and no story to tell, just one long crazy scene that felt like an extended version of the freeway scene in The Matrix Reloaded. It just went on too long. I was literally looking at the clock wondering when it would end. I knew how it would end too. No surprises. Nothing to hold my interest. I was bored.

I realized big bass and 3D aren't enough to hold my interest. There's too many movies where I actually care about the characters. I didn't care what happened to any of these. I've seen them before. Mad Max was a novelty when it came out. This is a reboot/remake and they mostly suck precisely because I've already seen them before. Yes, I can see this movie would have some novelty if it were the first one you ever saw, but hell I liked The Road Warrior when I saw it, but I still don't like it enough to want to watch it again any time soon. Playing the Borderlands games was close enough for me. Not any kind of alternate universe I'd want to live in.

Mortal Engines at least had Hera to good my interest (no scar makes her unattractive), but god the only time Charleze looked worse was in Monster....

Hey if you guys love this movie, more power to you. Clearly you see something in it I don't. If all I want is a pleasant bass kick in the gut, I'll play "High Hopes" by Pink Floyd.
AmerCa likes this.

Click THEATER (Updated: May-22-2019) for pics: Epson 3100 3D Projector, DaLite 92" screen, 11.1.6 (Marantz SR7012 + Yamaha HTR-5960 + Onkyo ESPro) - Dialog Lift - PSB T45/B15/S50/X1T/CS500 Speakers & Def Tech PF-1500 15" sub; 2nd Room (Updated Apr-22-2019): 48" Plasma TV, Carver AL-III, Carver C-5 Pre-Amp, Technics SH-AC500D, Dual Carver TFM-35x Amps (Active Bi-Amp), Klipsch Surrounds ; Sources: PS4, LG UP875 UHD, Nvidia Shield (KODI), ATV4K, Zidoo X9S, LD, GameCube : Props (Updated 10-13-19)
MagnumX is offline  
post #14627 of 16087 Old 05-19-2019, 01:21 PM
Member
 
hdtv316's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 185
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by PioManiac View Post
I was really on the fence with this one, then I read some of the rave reviews for the ATMOS audio

...They were 100% right! Lot's of overhead activity, definitely worth $19 for 4K/UHD/ATMOS



BEQ link



Some of them with proper Atmos setup said the usage and execution of overhead channels was underwhelming in the sense there is many unnecessary sounds coming from the height channels.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
hdtv316 is offline  
post #14628 of 16087 Old 05-19-2019, 01:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
PioManiac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Alberta Canada
Posts: 6,400
Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3338 Post(s)
Liked: 8431
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtv316 View Post
Some of them with proper Atmos setup said the usage and execution of overhead channels was underwhelming in the sense there is many unnecessary sounds coming from the height channels.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

I've watched it with a properly setup 7.1.4 system and there are more helicopter overhead fly-by moments
that pan from side to side, front to rear and even some that go diagonally ...than any other ATMOS/DTS:X movie I've played in the past 3 years.

Ralph's Review thread: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/187-o...ay-review.html

hdtv316 likes this.

The Unfinished Basement Theater & Whisky Guitar Lounge | Bass EQ for Filtered Movies
JVC DLA X750 4K Projector | 120" Powered Drop Screen | 65" LG 65B6P OLED | Panasonic DMP UB900 | Oppo UDP 203 | HDFury Vertex
Yamaha RX-A3070 | 7.4.4.4 | Mission M3i x11 | Funk Audio 18.0 x2 | Velodyne DLS 5000R x2 | Crowson LvL3 MA x4 | miniDSP 2x4HD

Last edited by PioManiac; 05-19-2019 at 01:46 PM.
PioManiac is offline  
post #14629 of 16087 Old 05-19-2019, 02:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MagnumX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Midwest USA
Posts: 1,972
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1141 Post(s)
Liked: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by PioManiac View Post
I've watched it with a properly setup 7.1.4 system and there are more helicopter overhead fly-by moments
that pan from side to side, front to rear and even some that go diagonally ...than any other ATMOS/DTS:X movie I've played in the past 3 years.

Ralph's Review thread: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/187-o...ay-review.html

I guess you never watched Red Tails in Auro-3D. Oh yeah. Yamaha. Nevermind. (Yes I realize those are planes, not helicopters, but my god is there a lot of overhead flying machine action).

Click THEATER (Updated: May-22-2019) for pics: Epson 3100 3D Projector, DaLite 92" screen, 11.1.6 (Marantz SR7012 + Yamaha HTR-5960 + Onkyo ESPro) - Dialog Lift - PSB T45/B15/S50/X1T/CS500 Speakers & Def Tech PF-1500 15" sub; 2nd Room (Updated Apr-22-2019): 48" Plasma TV, Carver AL-III, Carver C-5 Pre-Amp, Technics SH-AC500D, Dual Carver TFM-35x Amps (Active Bi-Amp), Klipsch Surrounds ; Sources: PS4, LG UP875 UHD, Nvidia Shield (KODI), ATV4K, Zidoo X9S, LD, GameCube : Props (Updated 10-13-19)
MagnumX is offline  
post #14630 of 16087 Old 05-19-2019, 03:22 PM
Member
 
DenverMDM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 126
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumX View Post
I never said I had a problem with the sound (and in my case the 3D as well). What I'm trying to get across (and clearly failing in some cases) is that a great picture and great sound <> a great movie. They are icing on the cake, but I've got to have some cake or it's just icing. The Maltese Falcon doesn't have anywhere near as much icing, but oh what glorious cake! Yes, I realize this thread is supposedly about bass, but the comments I addressed weren't really about bass either.

Now some people love icing by itself. I'd liken this to limiting oneself to audiophile recordings purely because one figures mass market recordings aren't good enough for a glorious high end system and many audiophiles aren't so much into music as the sound itself. I've always tried to maintain some balance there as not all good music is recorded and mastered well and I could fall asleep to some really perfect recordings of boring as hell music.

There's no accounting for taste/subjectivity either. The actual plot just disappointed me here. They lost me once and for all when they turned around. I guess I wanted some more depth to the story and it's basically a turn and burn flick set in the Mad Max universe with some dude they want me to pretend is Mel Gibson. It's not that it wasn't well made, but that it has no reason to exist and no story to tell, just one long crazy scene that felt like an extended version of the freeway scene in The Matrix Reloaded. It just went on too long. I was literally looking at the clock wondering when it would end. I knew how it would end too. No surprises. Nothing to hold my interest. I was bored.

I realized big bass and 3D aren't enough to hold my interest. There's too many movies where I actually care about the characters. I didn't care what happened to any of these. I've seen them before. Mad Max was a novelty when it came out. This is a reboot/remake and they mostly suck precisely because I've already seen them before. Yes, I can see this movie would have some novelty if it were the first one you ever saw, but hell I liked The Road Warrior when I saw it, but I still don't like it enough to want to watch it again any time soon. Playing the Borderlands games was close enough for me. Not any kind of alternate universe I'd want to live in.

Mortal Engines at least had Hera to good my interest (no scar makes her unattractive), but god the only time Charleze looked worse was in Monster....

Hey if you guys love this movie, more power to you. Clearly you see something in it I don't. If all I want is a pleasant bass kick in the gut, I'll play "High Hopes" by Pink Floyd.
Everyone has their opinion and yours is valid because it’s your own. However realize that your opinion isn’t a point that needs to be argued especially in this thread. You didn’t like the movie; we get it. The subtext of feminism, fighting for a home or religious fanaticism was lost on you. The old school live action direction with very little CGI by George Miller was also. Hopefully you’ll revisit this sometime later and understand why most of us think it’s one of the greatest action movies in the last few decades.
emiller1181 likes this.

Dual Denon 5200’s for 9.1.4, Emotiva IPS-1, Crown XLS 1502, Aircom S10 cooling fans | Definitive Technology BP2002, CLR 2002, BP-2x and BPX surround and heights, PSA 3600i dual 18’s (1), PSA xs15se's (2) Definitive Technology PF15TL (2)| JVC RS500, Oppo UHD-203 player, Lumagen Radiance Pro 4242, Custom 150" screen with Seymour XD material, Nvidia Shield, Panamax 5200
DenverMDM is offline  
post #14631 of 16087 Old 05-19-2019, 03:38 PM
Member
 
flyers10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 162
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Picked up few movies based on bass ratings here. Jupiter Ascending, Godzilla (1998), all 3 Cloverfield and Flight of the Phoenix. Watched FOTP and it had my sofa rumbling on that crash scene. Excited to watch the others soon.
SuperFist likes this.
flyers10 is offline  
post #14632 of 16087 Old 05-19-2019, 03:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
PioManiac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Alberta Canada
Posts: 6,400
Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3338 Post(s)
Liked: 8431
Just in case anyone was wondering...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aron7awol View Post
BassEQ Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior (1981) DTS-HD MA 5.1

The dashed line is the un-altered DTS-HD MA track, solid line with BEQ



Right side is without BEQ, in case it wasn't obvious.
A whopping +50dB Gain required to polish that turd
...and its still weak AF after BEQ compared to MMFR with no EQ changes at all.



Thanks @aron7awol for the quick turn-around on the graph
MagnumX, SuperFist and AmerCa like this.

The Unfinished Basement Theater & Whisky Guitar Lounge | Bass EQ for Filtered Movies
JVC DLA X750 4K Projector | 120" Powered Drop Screen | 65" LG 65B6P OLED | Panasonic DMP UB900 | Oppo UDP 203 | HDFury Vertex
Yamaha RX-A3070 | 7.4.4.4 | Mission M3i x11 | Funk Audio 18.0 x2 | Velodyne DLS 5000R x2 | Crowson LvL3 MA x4 | miniDSP 2x4HD

Last edited by PioManiac; 05-19-2019 at 07:04 PM.
PioManiac is offline  
post #14633 of 16087 Old 05-19-2019, 04:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MagnumX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Midwest USA
Posts: 1,972
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1141 Post(s)
Liked: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverMDM View Post
Everyone has their opinion and yours is valid because it’s your own. However realize that your opinion isn’t a point that needs to be argued especially in this thread. You didn’t like the movie; we get it. The subtext of feminism, fighting for a home or religious fanaticism was lost on you. The old school live action direction with very little CGI by George Miller was also. Hopefully you’ll revisit this sometime later and understand why most of us think it’s one of the greatest action movies in the last few decades.
I was only responding to someone's over-the-top reaction to watching that movie...sheesh. Get over it. As for subtexts, I don't call NOT using CGI a reason to celebrate (otherwise there are no real 'duds' made before the 1990s! Unless you count TRON or the Last Starfighter, but I actually loved both of those). A feminism subtext where the heroin needs a man save her, gets her old mates in the desert killed on the way back and could have spared all those deaths if she just killed the fat guy in his sleep? Yeah, what a gesture to feminism. Bald head = feminist. Religious fanaticism? Those guys? Give me a break. They were NUTZ with a capital Z. You want a good movie about fanaticism, watch, "Not Without My Daughter" with Sally Field.

Basically, some of you are trying to make this movie into something it's not. It's a well executed action movie with great sound and visuals that simply lacks anything remotely resembling a plot or deeper story.
It's what we call a "brainless" action movie, kind of like say Commando, except I actually was amused by Commando as it was really a comedy in some senses (absurd to the point of being entertaining). Plus there was a basic plot there. Rescue daughter. Whereas Furiosa wanted to "get away" with the fat guy's wives. Then she turned around and went back.... But clearly there are fans out there even for Chuckie Chuckie Norris movies (again, no accounting for taste in this world).

Now give me THE MEG 3D in ATMOS over this rot any day. Now THAT was an action movie baby! A GREAT continuation? JURASSIC WORLD! It did what two previous sequels couldn't come close to, which was recreate the magic of the first movie. I mean TRAIN velociraptors and go hunt the bad guys WITH them? I sure as hell didn't see that one coming in a sequel.... Color me speechless when I saw that movie. Plus it had a really good looking seemingly redhead which counts for a LOT in action movies (THE CRAFT! Now THAT is a movie that deserves an upgraded soundtrack!)

But please continue. I'm highly amused by people trying to convince me fourth time heated over meatloaf (even if spruced up with a puff pastry and gravy) is as good as prime rib.

I had the same kind of conversation with fanatics that LOVED Star Wars: The Force Awakens (another example of twice backed hash served as if it were Filet Mignon). Derivative? It was a blatant COPY of parts of the prior movies with some absurd notion about Stormtroopers (like one goes roque in all the Empire?). At least it had a really cute girl in it.... and I can't fault Harrison Ford's 'old' Han Solo. He's quite believable in the part. It's just too bad they didn't give him a proper part with Luke.... My god...Luke.... the poor green milk drinking bastard...I don't even want to talk about the Last Jedi!

Geeze, I'm really just pulling you guys' chains a bit. I've seen far "worse" movies than Fury Road (it's that over-the-top post that bugged me). It just didn't make me want to watch it again any time soon...maybe in 20 years if I'm still alive?

Now get me a Crocodile Dundee movie with his kid like that Superbowl teaser spoofed and we'll have an Australian movie I really WANT to see!

Click THEATER (Updated: May-22-2019) for pics: Epson 3100 3D Projector, DaLite 92" screen, 11.1.6 (Marantz SR7012 + Yamaha HTR-5960 + Onkyo ESPro) - Dialog Lift - PSB T45/B15/S50/X1T/CS500 Speakers & Def Tech PF-1500 15" sub; 2nd Room (Updated Apr-22-2019): 48" Plasma TV, Carver AL-III, Carver C-5 Pre-Amp, Technics SH-AC500D, Dual Carver TFM-35x Amps (Active Bi-Amp), Klipsch Surrounds ; Sources: PS4, LG UP875 UHD, Nvidia Shield (KODI), ATV4K, Zidoo X9S, LD, GameCube : Props (Updated 10-13-19)
MagnumX is offline  
post #14634 of 16087 Old 05-19-2019, 04:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
PioManiac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Alberta Canada
Posts: 6,400
Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3338 Post(s)
Liked: 8431

The Unfinished Basement Theater & Whisky Guitar Lounge | Bass EQ for Filtered Movies
JVC DLA X750 4K Projector | 120" Powered Drop Screen | 65" LG 65B6P OLED | Panasonic DMP UB900 | Oppo UDP 203 | HDFury Vertex
Yamaha RX-A3070 | 7.4.4.4 | Mission M3i x11 | Funk Audio 18.0 x2 | Velodyne DLS 5000R x2 | Crowson LvL3 MA x4 | miniDSP 2x4HD
PioManiac is offline  
post #14635 of 16087 Old 05-19-2019, 08:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
AmerCa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Mexico
Posts: 1,404
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 848 Post(s)
Liked: 1789
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumX
Basically, some of you are trying to make this movie into something it's not.. It's a well executed action movie with great sound and visuals that simply lacks anything remotely resembling a plot or deeper story.
No, sir. That's not true. We know exactly what kind of movie MMFR is, and that is perfectly described in the rest of your above paragraph. No one has ever talked about the plot.

Keep in mind this is primarily a bass/audio thread, and we get excited about bass/sound, sometimes regardless of a movie's quality, which is often just a matter of personal preference. You'll find many posts of that nature often in this thread. Just...chill out a bit .

Enviado desde mi XT1032 mediante Tapatalk

Vizio 43" D Series 2017 || Onkyo TX383 7.2ch || Fronts: Sony SS-CS5 || Center: Pioneer SP-C22 || Sub: Polk HTS 12 || Surrounds: Micca MB42
AmerCa is online now  
post #14636 of 16087 Old 05-19-2019, 09:46 PM
Member
 
godwindx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 48
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Honestly I was pretty upset that WB isn't release the Godzilla(2014) before the King of the Monsters then SONY announced Godzilla(1998) will got a 4K UHD release,because it would get DTS:X upgrade from DTS-HDMA and I don't even want to hear it again even I was testing my old system with the blu-ray A LOT times.

But after I watch it, WOW I'm so wrong,so fuxking wrong. The new Atmos track is not the only thing that completely changed the disk worth because HDR makes the night scene SO MUCH CLEAR than before if you had a bad contrast TV or Monitor which means you will only see very very dark scenes.



I guess SONY never disappoint us. It's pretty much like Black Hawk down is a 100% directly upgrade from blu-ray and worth every penny.

But I still want to say one thing, Come on WB. can we have a Godzilla(2014) 4K UHD with Dolby Atmos please? I don't mind a 2014 + 2019 combo as well too lol.
geoffrsc and SuperFist like this.

Last edited by godwindx; 05-19-2019 at 10:07 PM.
godwindx is offline  
post #14637 of 16087 Old 05-19-2019, 10:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MrGrey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 3,040
Mentioned: 149 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1737 Post(s)
Liked: 6490
Sony does the best remasters in the whole industry in my opinion. They do it right and get the original film elements and actually do 4K or larger scans and finish in 4K. I Don't see anyone getting close to their level anytime soon and sure as hell not Warner Bros.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk
MrGrey is offline  
post #14638 of 16087 Old 05-20-2019, 12:09 PM
Advanced Member
 
Jim Kiler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: MN
Posts: 693
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmerCa View Post
Mad Max: Fury Road (2015)

What did I just watch? WHAT DID I JUST WATCH??

OMG!! This movie is otherworldly, a true marvel if I ever watched one! Just a few years ago I watched this film on a tiny screen on a bus. I watched like 30 minutes before writing this movie off and turning it off so I'd rather go to sleep. Boy, how wrong I was!

This movie is the Tron: Legacy of post apocalyptic worlds, a perfect marriage between visuals, action and audio, and belongs in the category of infinite replay value movies. How can you even get tired of watching a masterpiece like this?

The bass lived up to its reputation, and some more. It was hard pounding, and complemented perfectly the action. It was pummeling and relentless, and at the same time exciting and made my heart beat faster, almost to an intoxicating level. Junkie XL's score (the electronic world counterpart of Hans Zimmer, and also his frequent collaborator) is bonkers, and is perfect for the film. I can't imagine this movie without this fantastic score running through the movie's veins. The soundtrack and sound design blend so well with the rest of the film that it's essentially just one big block of an orgasmic cinematic experience. Yes, the bass is magnificent, and yet it's only one part on an amazing whole. My jaw was on the floor until the very last second.

This is an indisputable demo disc, and belongs in everyone's collection, especially if you're an HT enthusiast. If, like me, for some reason haven't checked this marvel of top tier action, visuals and sound, don't hesitate to get this one, it's worth every penny you pay for it. You'll watch it countless times.

Enviado desde mi XT1032 mediante Tapatalk
As much as I love MM Fury Road, without the soundtrack i cannot imagine liking it nearly as much.
AmerCa likes this.

TV - Sony 65XBR-930e | Receiver - Yamaha RX-V577 | 4K player - Sony UBP-X700 | PS3 | Router - Asus RT-AC86U | SVS SB-2000 sub | Paradigm Monitor SE 6000F L/R | Paradigm Monitor SE 2000C center | Paradigm ADP-170 v.3 rears
Jim Kiler is offline  
post #14639 of 16087 Old 05-20-2019, 02:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
indebtbassfreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Squamish BC
Posts: 2,650
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1436 Post(s)
Liked: 2763
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmerCa View Post
No, sir. That's not true. We know exactly what kind of movie MMFR is, and that is perfectly described in the rest of your above paragraph. No one has ever talked about the plot.

Keep in mind this is primarily a bass/audio thread, and we get excited about bass/sound, sometimes regardless of a movie's quality, which is often just a matter of personal preference. You'll find many posts of that nature often in this thread. Just...chill out a bit .

Enviado desde mi XT1032 mediante Tapatalk
IMO, dont waist your time explaining yourself to someone who instead of appreciating how you felt right after watching MMFR and in your raw moment shared with us how awesome it was for you,,,decided instead to criticize your response. Doesn't matter which thread, "some" play that way regardless.

Personally i thought it was a great well written post (loved your enthusiasm) as it reminded me of when you upgraded your sub. Don't ever hold back!!
Toe, LennS, Tom C and 11 others like this.

-Marantz SR-8012
-Yamaha BD-A1060
-Funk 21.0LX Master/Slave combo 4800 watts RMS/9600watts (peak)-
-Chane A-2.4 L/C/R
-Chane A-1.4 side/rear surrounds.
indebtbassfreak is offline  
post #14640 of 16087 Old 05-21-2019, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MrGrey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 3,040
Mentioned: 149 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1737 Post(s)
Liked: 6490
MrGrey is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off