The Ultimate List of BASS in Movies w/ Frequency Charts - Page 494 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 47359Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #14791 of 15089 Old 06-01-2019, 10:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
SuperFist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,926
Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1264 Post(s)
Liked: 4957
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMichael View Post
Not brutal like The Revenant but not awesome either. Thanks for the graph! I’m still super excited for them!
I finished watching the remastered Batman in Dolby Atmos a little while ago. The object-enabled sounds were present, but only really active in scenes that called for them. Overall I was pleased with the remaster and the re-enlivening of the audio, though there were dated CGI attempts that revealed themselves rather obviously here and there. The bass wasn't as full as we'd like it in this thread, but I would still say it is a worthy upgrade from the existing Blu-ray version with regards to the picture quality.

Subwoofers: PSA S3000i x 2 | L+R Front: Onkyo SKF-200F | Center: Onkyo SKC-200C | L+R Surround: Onkyo SKM-200S | Atmos: Pioneer SP-T22A-LR | AVR: Yamaha RX-A660BL | HTPC: Lenovo Q190
SuperFist is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #14792 of 15089 Old 06-01-2019, 10:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
PioManiac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 6,167
Mentioned: 259 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3164 Post(s)
Liked: 7719
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defcon View Post
I think thats the movie, there's a new tv show based on that book.

https://www.netflix.com/title/80200596
Found it! (Perfume) Thanks!

It wasn't listed under new releases (Netflix Canada account) but I found it using the search
Loaded it up just now, Definitely hits Hard and Low right out of the gate. Nice!

..I applied a house curve and a little BEQ that had the walls and my seats shaking pretty good.
GeoJustGeo likes this.

The Unfinished Basement Theater & Whisky Guitar Lounge | Bass EQ for Filtered Movies
JVC DLA X750 4K Projector | 120" Powered Drop Screen | 65" LG 65B6P OLED | Panasonic DMP UB900 | Oppo UDP 203 | HDFury Vertex
Yamaha RX-A3070 | 7.4.4.4 | Mission M3i x11 | Funk Audio 18.0 x2 | Velodyne DLS 5000R x2 | Crowson LvL3 MA x4 | miniDSP 2x4HD
PioManiac is offline  
post #14793 of 15089 Old 06-01-2019, 11:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Defcon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 2,906
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1539 Post(s)
Liked: 859
Quote:
Originally Posted by PioManiac View Post
Found it! (Perfume) Thanks!

It wasn't listed under new releases (Netflix Canada account) but I found it using the search
Loaded it up just now, Definitely hits Hard and Low right out of the gate. Nice!

..I applied a house curve and a little BEQ that had the walls and my seats shaking pretty good.
I just noticed your equipment list in signature. Jesus thats some good hardware - no wonder you are enjoying it I have a lowly single 12" sub in a space maybe 2500cuft or more (apartment with lots of open areas and no doors), I can't even imagine how it must sound for you.

Are you applying EQ with minidsp to boost low end even more? I saw the BEQ thread but its a bit overwhelming.

Last edited by Defcon; 06-01-2019 at 11:34 AM.
Defcon is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #14794 of 15089 Old 06-01-2019, 11:41 AM
Advanced Member
 
CallingMrBenzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 607
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked: 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defcon View Post
I just noticed your equipment list in signature. Jesus thats some good hardware - no wonder you are enjoying it I have a lowly single 12" sub in a space maybe 2500cuft or more (apartment with lots of open areas and no doors), I can't even imagine how it must sound for you.



Are you applying EQ with minidsp to boost low end even more? I saw the BEQ thread but its a bit overwhelming.


It’s actually extremely easy to set up. Spend some time and read the thread if you have interest. A cave man could do it


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Alan P likes this.

Marantz 7011- Panasonic UB-820- Xbox One X - Epson HC 5050UB - Elite Screen's 2:35:1 AT 115' - PSA MTM 110's L/C/R - Mixed Surrounds - SVS Elevations Atmos X2 - Dual PSA VT36 B&C Neo's *MiniDSP HD* Took the Red Pill BEQ
CallingMrBenzo is online now  
post #14795 of 15089 Old 06-01-2019, 10:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MrGrey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 2,895
Mentioned: 142 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1690 Post(s)
Liked: 6121
MrGrey is offline  
post #14796 of 15089 Old 06-02-2019, 12:20 AM
Senior Member
 
paulst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Essex, UK
Posts: 255
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defcon View Post
I just noticed your equipment list in signature. Jesus thats some good hardware - no wonder you are enjoying it I have a lowly single 12" sub in a space maybe 2500cuft or more (apartment with lots of open areas and no doors), I can't even imagine how it must sound for you.

Are you applying EQ with minidsp to boost low end even more? I saw the BEQ thread but its a bit overwhelming.
You should give it a try, it's a small investment for a sometimes massive improvement, and it's really simple to do.. Certainly better than listening to these filtered movies

What makes me laugh is how many people rave about the bass from movies like Overlord, The Incredible Hulk etc! But won't use BEQ.. BEQ will make most movies sound as good as those. But at the end of the day, I suppose it really depends on how much you like movies and your bass.. But I'd have thought most frequenting this thread would fall into that category?

LG OLED65B8 ~ HTPC ~ Oppo BDP-93 ~ PS3 ~ PS4 ~ Toshiba HD-XE1 ~ Harmony One
Marantz SR7011 ~ M&K LCR 851 & CS35 ~ 2x4HD ~ PSA S1811 x 2
PC - i7 4790k & GTX970
HTPC - i5 4690k & GTX1060

paulst is online now  
post #14797 of 15089 Old 06-02-2019, 06:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
indebtbassfreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Squamish BC
Posts: 2,445
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1345 Post(s)
Liked: 2531
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulst View Post
You should give it a try, it's a small investment for a sometimes massive improvement, and it's really simple to do.. Certainly better than listening to these filtered movies

What makes me laugh is how many people rave about the bass from movies like Overlord, The Incredible Hulk etc! But won't use BEQ.. BEQ will make most movies sound as good as those. But at the end of the day, I suppose it really depends on how much you like movies and your bass.. But I'd have thought most frequenting this thread would fall into that category?
+1^

Lol i'm one of them!!!. Having lost my enthusiasm due to "never been able to enjoy an evening movie" and the occasional day time one is just not the same,,,, i havent pulled the trigger on BEQ. Instead "I" complain about the filtered mixes.

-Marantz SR-8012
-Yamaha BD-A1060
-Funk 21.0LX Master/Slave combo 4800 watts RMS/9600watts (peak)-
-Chane A-2.4 L/C/R
-Chane A-1.4 side/rear surrounds.
indebtbassfreak is offline  
post #14798 of 15089 Old 06-02-2019, 06:52 AM
Senior Member
 
paulst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Essex, UK
Posts: 255
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by indebtbassfreak View Post
+1^

Lol i'm one of them!!!. Having lost my enthusiasm due to "never been able to enjoy an evening movie" and the occasional day time one is just not the same,,,, i havent pulled the trigger on BEQ. Instead "I" complain about the filtered mixes.
BEQ also cures lack of enthusiasm Once you realise it has essentially given your whole Bluray/movie collection a new lease of life, you can't stop watching them

I'd have thought those Funks would be begging you to give them some real content to play
CallingMrBenzo likes this.

LG OLED65B8 ~ HTPC ~ Oppo BDP-93 ~ PS3 ~ PS4 ~ Toshiba HD-XE1 ~ Harmony One
Marantz SR7011 ~ M&K LCR 851 & CS35 ~ 2x4HD ~ PSA S1811 x 2
PC - i7 4790k & GTX970
HTPC - i5 4690k & GTX1060

paulst is online now  
post #14799 of 15089 Old 06-02-2019, 07:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
indebtbassfreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Squamish BC
Posts: 2,445
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1345 Post(s)
Liked: 2531
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulst View Post
BEQ also cures lack of enthusiasm Once you realise it has essentially given your whole Bluray/movie collection a new lease of life, you can't stop watching them

I'd have thought those Funks would be begging you to give them some real content to play
Lack of enthusiasm is neighbor related,,, not source material as i have plenty of good stuff to rattle the neighborhood lol, however yes turning the rest of my collection into ULF beasts is appealing.
paulst and AmerCa like this.

-Marantz SR-8012
-Yamaha BD-A1060
-Funk 21.0LX Master/Slave combo 4800 watts RMS/9600watts (peak)-
-Chane A-2.4 L/C/R
-Chane A-1.4 side/rear surrounds.
indebtbassfreak is offline  
post #14800 of 15089 Old 06-02-2019, 09:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
PioManiac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 6,167
Mentioned: 259 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3164 Post(s)
Liked: 7719
Cool

I'm sure everyone has their own reasons for not trying BEQ,
But I don't think there's anyone who truly doubts the benefits, at least I hope not.

If anyone needs to see a good example of how studios are castrating new releases:
Hellboy II in 4K/DTS:X compared to the Original Bluray DTS-HD MA
...and that's from Universal Studios, not even a Disney release!

In the last 10 months since the start of the BEQ thread,
760+ titles have been added to the repo, (repository of miniDSP files free to download)
... so the hard part is already done for you.

The Ultimate Bass Movie thread has only added 6 Bass Monster titles in the past 5 months.
2019 started strong, but let's face facts here, it's starting to fall off a cliff (pun intended)
So I would hope no one thinks a miniDSP 2x4HD isn't worth $200 to make almost every release a 4-5 Star Bass flick.
(not only for 760+ titles posted to date, but every new release coming up)

I think most people who are interested in BassEQ know where to find it now, Here ..in case you missed it.
There's always going to be newcomers reading here, so a passing mention or the odd graph seem to be tolerated here lately,
but let's not press it too hard here or there will be backlash from those that have heard it all already.

For those that are interested but haven't made the leap of faith yet,
...of all the reasons not to try BEQ, We are attempting to mitigate any confusion
and have been working very hard at making it more user friendly to install and get up to speed right away.

The running joke lately has been "So simple even a Caveman can do it"....and it's absolutely true.
Detailed instructions and screen shots are being fine-tuned every week whenever an obstacle is presented.

There are several recent success stories from "computer challenged" members that have been stepped through the entire setup.
I know it works because I was one of them, and was manually inserting Low Shelf filters one at a time up until mid April this year
The "system" is so fine tuned now, that after the initial install/setup, you can load any movie from the 760+ repo with just a single mouse click now.

Way Less time than it takes to pull a disc from the case, drop it in the tray and press play.

...and "if" you want to go to the next step, it's totally optional!
You can easily merge all the BEQ files with your own House Curve, in less than a minute with the BEQ-Designer App (freebie download)
Don't have a House Curve yet? No worries, we can even help you create one using the miniDSP software if you have REW and a UMIK-1.

I realize the amount of information on the first page can be intimidating and overwhelming at a glance, However
a large portion of it is totally optional/supplementary that can be ignored completely or explored at a later date as your comfort level increases.

I created a TL;DR shortened version to make the basics easier: Here

I'll leave you with this, the latest addition to the list...

Captain Marvel ATMOS
(check out the <20Hz/-20dB levels before/after BEQ)



Full Range vs 30Hz


Sorry for the interruption, carry on

tbass2k, carp, SBuger and 9 others like this.

The Unfinished Basement Theater & Whisky Guitar Lounge | Bass EQ for Filtered Movies
JVC DLA X750 4K Projector | 120" Powered Drop Screen | 65" LG 65B6P OLED | Panasonic DMP UB900 | Oppo UDP 203 | HDFury Vertex
Yamaha RX-A3070 | 7.4.4.4 | Mission M3i x11 | Funk Audio 18.0 x2 | Velodyne DLS 5000R x2 | Crowson LvL3 MA x4 | miniDSP 2x4HD

Last edited by PioManiac; 06-02-2019 at 05:56 PM.
PioManiac is offline  
post #14801 of 15089 Old 06-02-2019, 05:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
SuperFist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,926
Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1264 Post(s)
Liked: 4957
Dude! Captain Marvel (Dolby Atmos) sounds frickin' AMAZING!!! The bass was bangin', too! It may not be Aquaman bass, but I was satisfied listening to it shake the room and the Dolby Atmos was definitely "ATMOSpheric" as it seamlessly tracked objects around my room and not just overhead! This is the 3rd time I've watched this film and I don't give a crap what anyone says about it... I really enjoyed it!

Until MrGrey gives us an official graph, I'll just leave this here...



Peak Spectrum Graph

Subwoofers: PSA S3000i x 2 | L+R Front: Onkyo SKF-200F | Center: Onkyo SKC-200C | L+R Surround: Onkyo SKM-200S | Atmos: Pioneer SP-T22A-LR | AVR: Yamaha RX-A660BL | HTPC: Lenovo Q190

Last edited by SuperFist; 06-02-2019 at 05:39 PM.
SuperFist is offline  
post #14802 of 15089 Old 06-02-2019, 06:20 PM
Senior Member
 
mzs22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Iowa
Posts: 342
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by PioManiac View Post
I'm sure everyone has their own reasons for not trying BEQ,
But I don't think there's anyone who truly doubts the benefits, at least I hope not.

If anyone needs to see a good example of how studios are castrating new releases:
Hellboy II in 4K/DTS:X compared to the Original Bluray DTS-HD MA
...and that's from Universal Studios, not even a Disney release!

In the last 10 months since the start of the BEQ thread,
760+ titles have been added to the repo, (repository of miniDSP files free to download)
... so the hard part is already done for you.

The Ultimate Bass Movie thread has only added 6 Bass Monster titles in the past 5 months.
2019 started strong, but let's face facts here, it's starting to fall off a cliff (pun intended)
So I would hope no one thinks a miniDSP 2x4HD isn't worth $200 to make almost every release a 4-5 Star Bass flick.
(not only for 760+ titles posted to date, but every new release coming up)

I think most people who are interested in BassEQ know where to find it now, Here ..in case you missed it.
There's always going to be newcomers reading here, so a passing mention or the odd graph seem to be tolerated here lately,
but let's not press it too hard here or there will be backlash from those that have heard it all already.

For those that are interested but haven't made the leap of faith yet,
...of all the reasons not to try BEQ, We are attempting to mitigate any confusion
and have been working very hard at making it more user friendly to install and get up to speed right away.

The running joke lately has been "So simple even a Caveman can do it"....and it's absolutely true.
Detailed instructions and screen shots are being fine-tuned every week whenever an obstacle is presented.

There are several recent success stories from "computer challenged" members that have been stepped through the entire setup.
I know it works because I was one of them, and was manually inserting Low Shelf filters one at a time up until mid April this year
The "system" is so fine tuned now, that after the initial install/setup, you can load any movie from the 760+ repo with just a single mouse click now.

Way Less time than it takes to pull a disc from the case, drop it in the tray and press play.

...and "if" you want to go to the next step, it's totally optional!
You can easily merge all the BEQ files with your own House Curve, in less than a minute with the BEQ-Designer App (freebie download)
Don't have a House Curve yet? No worries, we can even help you create one using the miniDSP software if you have REW and a UMIK-1.

I realize the amount of information on the first page can be intimidating and overwhelming at a glance, However
a large portion of it is totally optional/supplementary that can be ignored completely or explored at a later date as your comfort level increases.

I created a TL;DR shortened version to make the basics easier: Here

I'll leave you with this, the latest addition to the list...

Captain Marvel ATMOS
(check out the <20Hz/-20dB levels before/after BEQ)



Full Range vs 30Hz


Sorry for the interruption, carry on

I might just have to pick me one up, I have been interested in getting one but didn't realize it was that quick to load the files. You basically just have to connect your laptop to the mini dsp and the the files for the movie before you watch it ?
CallingMrBenzo likes this.
mzs22 is offline  
post #14803 of 15089 Old 06-02-2019, 06:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
PioManiac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 6,167
Mentioned: 259 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3164 Post(s)
Liked: 7719
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzs22 View Post
I might just have to pick me one up, I have been interested in getting one but didn't realize it was that quick to load the files. You basically just have to connect your laptop to the mini dsp and the the files for the movie before you watch it ?
Yes, clone the GitHub Repo movie files to your own pc/laptop/macbook in a couple minutes,
Then going forward, hit the load button in the miniDSP software to select the movie title and hit play.

Update your list from the Repo once a week for a refresh as new titles/updates are added.
(Please direct any further inquiries to the BEQ thread, thank you.)
CallingMrBenzo likes this.

The Unfinished Basement Theater & Whisky Guitar Lounge | Bass EQ for Filtered Movies
JVC DLA X750 4K Projector | 120" Powered Drop Screen | 65" LG 65B6P OLED | Panasonic DMP UB900 | Oppo UDP 203 | HDFury Vertex
Yamaha RX-A3070 | 7.4.4.4 | Mission M3i x11 | Funk Audio 18.0 x2 | Velodyne DLS 5000R x2 | Crowson LvL3 MA x4 | miniDSP 2x4HD

Last edited by PioManiac; 06-02-2019 at 06:58 PM.
PioManiac is offline  
post #14804 of 15089 Old 06-02-2019, 06:58 PM
Senior Member
 
mzs22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Iowa
Posts: 342
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by PioManiac View Post
Yes, clone the GitHub Repo movie files to your own pc/laptop/macbook in a couple minutes,
Then going forward, hit the load button in the miniDSP software to select the movie title and hit play.

Update the from the Repo once a week for a refresh as new titles/updates are added.
(Please direct any further inquiries to the BEQ thread, thank you.)
Thanks ! will do
mzs22 is offline  
post #14805 of 15089 Old 06-02-2019, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MrGrey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 2,895
Mentioned: 142 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1690 Post(s)
Liked: 6121
MrGrey is offline  
post #14806 of 15089 Old 06-02-2019, 07:30 PM
Advanced Member
 
nodoubt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 650
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked: 253
how is the quality of the bass when that much is added over stock version ?
im solid down to about 17 hz with my pb4000, will i benefit from this, ?
will i risk blowing the bottom out of my sub ?
will i be able to keep the flat rew settings in my svs dsp app settings ive worked for hours to fine tune ?
will my gf give me even more " what the heck are you doing adding even more gizmos to that system, i thought it sounded just fine like it was, it already shakes the whole room ! " dirty looks ?

Last edited by nodoubt; 06-02-2019 at 07:34 PM.
nodoubt is offline  
post #14807 of 15089 Old 06-02-2019, 07:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
PioManiac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 6,167
Mentioned: 259 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3164 Post(s)
Liked: 7719
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodoubt View Post
how is the quality of the bass when that much is added over stock version ?
im solid down to about 17 hz with my pb4000, will i benefit from this, ?
will i risk blowing the bottom out of my sub ?
will i be able to keep the flat rew settings in my svs dsp app settings ive worked for hours to fine tune ?
will my gf give me even more " what the heck are you doing adding even more gizmos to that system, i thought it sounded just fine like it was ! " dirty looks ?


Sorry, but in order to circumvent any potential negative issues here,
further inquires about BEQ should be posted (respectfully) in the dedicated BEQ thread.
Here: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-s...ed-movies.html
Alan P, jamiebosco and SuperFist like this.

The Unfinished Basement Theater & Whisky Guitar Lounge | Bass EQ for Filtered Movies
JVC DLA X750 4K Projector | 120" Powered Drop Screen | 65" LG 65B6P OLED | Panasonic DMP UB900 | Oppo UDP 203 | HDFury Vertex
Yamaha RX-A3070 | 7.4.4.4 | Mission M3i x11 | Funk Audio 18.0 x2 | Velodyne DLS 5000R x2 | Crowson LvL3 MA x4 | miniDSP 2x4HD

Last edited by PioManiac; 06-03-2019 at 10:17 AM.
PioManiac is offline  
post #14808 of 15089 Old 06-02-2019, 08:26 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
basshead81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Fort Wayne, IN
Posts: 13,088
Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 8838
Captain Marvel is a good overall mix. The bass does lack some depth but there is plenty of it. Overall I enjoyed the flick, not quite Aquaman but it's worth watching a time or two anyway.
Toe, SuperFist, audiofan1 and 1 others like this.
basshead81 is offline  
post #14809 of 15089 Old 06-02-2019, 08:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Defcon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 2,906
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1539 Post(s)
Liked: 859
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGrey View Post
https://youtu.be/zyYgDtY2AMY

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk
James May's Grand Tour segment is one of the best things I've seen -

SuperFist and richardsim7 like this.
Defcon is offline  
post #14810 of 15089 Old 06-03-2019, 01:42 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 972
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked: 840
2 things.

1- An awesome sound I want to share
2- A question

1-
I was bored yesterday and wanted to try a DVD that I haven't watched in this room with my current setup.

I chose Gone In 60 Seconds (2000).

Most of the audio is ok I would say for it being Dolby Digital 5.1. I didn't watch the movie, I just skipped to the main action scenes. Well the main scene when he's walking down the parking garage to get into Elanor (Shelby GT500 - for fear of incorrect context lol) surprised the crap out of me!

When he turns Elanor on (car lol)......OMG!!! I watched it using Dolby Digital and then tried it using Dolby Digital + Neural X to get overhead activity. The difference is amazing in favor of Neural X! That car is in a parking garage so when using DD, it sounds a little flat, because it's just surround sound. Parking garages have low ceilings, so the Neual X gives you that FULL IMMERSION in that particular scene.

As for the bass, it's probably the best bass scene in the entire movie as well. I watched a few more min of the movie but nothing sounds like that parking garage scene!

I run my sub's very hot and it sounds and feels like that car is being started in my room!!

If you own this movie, you should turn your sub's up and have fun with that scene!

2-

Because I'm a fan of the movie itself and now being hyped about the audio (well that scene in particular), I went looking for the blu-ray. Unfortunately, it brings the same DD 5.1 audio track.

I went to Blu-ray. com and found this as their audio summary of the blu-ray:

"Dolby Digital 5.1 and uncompressed PCM 5.1 are the two options available with Gone in 60 Seconds. Both are extremely well done, but the edge definitely goes to the PCM mix. As has become the case with just about every PCM track yet released on Blu-ray, this track is far more open, clear and dynamic than the Dolby track. Dialogue is razor sharp, directional effects are outstanding and the techno music score of the film really pounds out of every speaker. Subwoofer usage was outstanding and never boomy. However, there are seemingly long sections of the move where the entire soundtrack just seems to give up and take a break. During these mostly dialog-driven scenes, I felt like I was just sitting and listening to my center channel. Sound effects and music were so low in the mix that they were almost completely absent. So, I'm taking a point away from this mix for this inconsistently. While I certainly expect dialog to be intelligible and well presented, it just doesn't have mean that everything else is cranked down to a whisper to accommodate."

So here is my question, I don't know much about PCM except that it's what was available before DD (I'm guessing. I do remember Prologic II though), but how will my receiver (Denon 4400) play this? And will there be an option to add Neural X to it? And plz can anyone that has the blu-ray, try both versions and let me know if you heard a difference? Thank you.
AmerCa likes this.
GeoJustGeo is online now  
post #14811 of 15089 Old 06-03-2019, 02:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
richardsim7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 2,032
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1308 Post(s)
Liked: 1674
PCM = uncompressed audio, so it's higher quality than Dolby Digital


I'll send you the scene
MALICIOUS ONE and GeoJustGeo like this.
richardsim7 is offline  
post #14812 of 15089 Old 06-03-2019, 05:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MrGrey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 2,895
Mentioned: 142 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1690 Post(s)
Liked: 6121
Captain Marvel (2019) UHD Bass Graph



Trailer
SuperFist and AmerCa like this.
MrGrey is offline  
post #14813 of 15089 Old 06-03-2019, 05:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
confinoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Shaker Heights, OH
Posts: 1,929
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1201 Post(s)
Liked: 1009
Disappointing (but not surprised) that Capt Marvel falls off rapidly below 25Hz. However pleasantly surprised as to the positive subjective response a few have posted. Typically when we see these kinds of graphs most in this thread (myself included) are not too thrilled with the soundtrack from a bass standpoint. I guess just goes to show that if done well bass in the 25-40hz range remains very important despite what we tend to focus on in this thread. I personally really enjoyed this movie and looking forward to the UHD disc arriving on June 11th.
SuperFist likes this.

LG OLED65C7P (Chad B Calibrated) | Denon X4300H | Tivo Roamio OTA | Nvidia Shield | ATV 4K | Oppo UDP-203 | Plex server
5.2.4 | Front Klipsch RP-160M x2 | Center Klipsch RP-450C | Surrounds Klipsch RP-150M x2 | Atmos Klipsch RP-140SA x 4 | Subs SVS PC-4000 x 2
confinoj is online now  
post #14814 of 15089 Old 06-03-2019, 07:40 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
MKtheater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New Hartford, NY
Posts: 18,375
Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked: 2315
The bass from 20-80hz is the most important, the ULF is just the icing for the natural weight of real bass.
Toe, hdtv316, jamiebosco and 5 others like this.

Audio Design Associates/Outlaw
Speakerpower SP1-4000
subs-Re audio XXX 18 IB(LT).
DIY speakers-mktheater-S10/S12s
MKtheater is offline  
post #14815 of 15089 Old 06-03-2019, 07:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
richardsim7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 2,032
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1308 Post(s)
Liked: 1674
This looks interesting


Here's hoping bass gets a mention
richardsim7 is offline  
post #14816 of 15089 Old 06-03-2019, 09:55 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 378
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 616
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardsim7 View Post
This looks interesting


Here's hoping bass gets a mention
That does look real interesting. Any idea where or how to watch? IMDB says in came out in April. On the movies webpage it shows some film festivals but no info where one may watch. I did end up following on their Twitter and Facebook to keep me updated so I don't forget about it.

TV: LG OLED 65B7A, Receiver: Marantz SR-6012, Blu-Ray Player: LG UBK90, Fronts: JBL S312, Center: JBL S-Center, Surrounds: JBL S38, Top: Yamaha NS-AW1, Subwoofer: 2 PSA S3000i and one PSA XS-30se--- 5.3.4 setup
http://www.blu-ray.com/community/col...&action=hybrid
Joshua Chmiel is offline  
post #14817 of 15089 Old 06-03-2019, 10:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
richardsim7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 2,032
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1308 Post(s)
Liked: 1674
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Chmiel View Post
That does look real interesting. Any idea where or how to watch? IMDB says in came out in April. On the movies webpage it shows some film festivals but no info where one may watch. I did end up following on their Twitter and Facebook to keep me updated so I don't forget about it.

It just premiered at Cannes so hopefully we'll see some type of release later this year
SuperFist likes this.
richardsim7 is offline  
post #14818 of 15089 Old 06-03-2019, 11:09 AM
Advanced Member
 
Jim Kiler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: MN
Posts: 675
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoJustGeo View Post
2 things.

1- An awesome sound I want to share
2- A question

1-
I was bored yesterday and wanted to try a DVD that I haven't watched in this room with my current setup.

I chose Gone In 60 Seconds (2000).

Most of the audio is ok I would say for it being Dolby Digital 5.1. I didn't watch the movie, I just skipped to the main action scenes. Well the main scene when he's walking down the parking garage to get into Elanor (Shelby GT500 - for fear of incorrect context lol) surprised the crap out of me!

When he turns Elanor on (car lol)......OMG!!! I watched it using Dolby Digital and then tried it using Dolby Digital + Neural X to get overhead activity. The difference is amazing in favor of Neural X! That car is in a parking garage so when using DD, it sounds a little flat, because it's just surround sound. Parking garages have low ceilings, so the Neual X gives you that FULL IMMERSION in that particular scene.

As for the bass, it's probably the best bass scene in the entire movie as well. I watched a few more min of the movie but nothing sounds like that parking garage scene!

I run my sub's very hot and it sounds and feels like that car is being started in my room!!

If you own this movie, you should turn your sub's up and have fun with that scene!

2-

Because I'm a fan of the movie itself and now being hyped about the audio (well that scene in particular), I went looking for the blu-ray. Unfortunately, it brings the same DD 5.1 audio track.

I went to Blu-ray. com and found this as their audio summary of the blu-ray:

"Dolby Digital 5.1 and uncompressed PCM 5.1 are the two options available with Gone in 60 Seconds. Both are extremely well done, but the edge definitely goes to the PCM mix. As has become the case with just about every PCM track yet released on Blu-ray, this track is far more open, clear and dynamic than the Dolby track. Dialogue is razor sharp, directional effects are outstanding and the techno music score of the film really pounds out of every speaker. Subwoofer usage was outstanding and never boomy. However, there are seemingly long sections of the move where the entire soundtrack just seems to give up and take a break. During these mostly dialog-driven scenes, I felt like I was just sitting and listening to my center channel. Sound effects and music were so low in the mix that they were almost completely absent. So, I'm taking a point away from this mix for this inconsistently. While I certainly expect dialog to be intelligible and well presented, it just doesn't have mean that everything else is cranked down to a whisper to accommodate."

So here is my question, I don't know much about PCM except that it's what was available before DD (I'm guessing. I do remember Prologic II though), but how will my receiver (Denon 4400) play this? And will there be an option to add Neural X to it? And plz can anyone that has the blu-ray, try both versions and let me know if you heard a difference? Thank you.
When Bluray discs came out not a lot of receivers supported TrueHD and DTS HD MA but the first discs used PCM, which is the same but in an uncompressed format. A lot of bluray players like the PS3 had an option to toggle the format between True HD/DTS MA or send as PCM. I thought that to play audio commentary you had to send the audio as PCM, but that may have been untrue.
SuperFist and GeoJustGeo like this.

TV - Sony 65XBR-930e | Receiver - Yamaha RX-V577 | 4K player - Sony UBP-X700 | PS3 | Router - Asus RT-AC86U | SVS SB-2000 sub | Paradigm Monitor SE 6000F L/R | Paradigm Monitor SE 2000C center | Paradigm ADP-170 v.3 rears
Jim Kiler is offline  
post #14819 of 15089 Old 06-03-2019, 11:15 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 972
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked: 840
Thanks for the PCM info guys
GeoJustGeo is online now  
post #14820 of 15089 Old 06-03-2019, 11:57 PM
Member
 
godwindx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post
Captain Marvel is a good overall mix. The bass does lack some depth but there is plenty of it. Overall I enjoyed the flick, not quite Aquaman but it's worth watching a time or two anyway.

Yeah the bass isn't that good and deep compared to Infinity Wars but it is still a good use of Atmos mix which give me hope the Endgame and incoming Iron Man/Thor UHD series would have better bass.
godwindx is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off