The Ultimate List of BASS in Movies w/ Frequency Charts - Page 546 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 50739Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #16351 of 16576 Old 11-15-2019, 07:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
indebtbassfreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Squamish BC
Posts: 2,731
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1487 Post(s)
Liked: 2881
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTX^2steve View Post
Just finished Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw...again another anemic bass track...I had to crank up the bass! I liked the movie but what the hell is going on with no bass and a movie like this...
Although most of the franchise had pretty week bass,, i threw in the towel after The Fate of the Furious as that movie took it to the next brutal level. Not even interested in Hobbs and Shaw as this pattern continues (no Red Box in Canada anymore) so i wont spend $27 on this one. Once set up in my new place hopefully i my love for movie watching will return and possibly try BEQ,,,,,,that should add many movies to the wow factor i presently have complained about.

-Marantz SR-8012
-Yamaha BD-A1060
-Funk 21.0LX Master/Slave combo 4800 watts RMS/9600watts (peak)-
-Chane A-2.4 L/C/R
-Chane A-1.4 side/rear surrounds.
indebtbassfreak is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #16352 of 16576 Old 11-15-2019, 08:08 AM
Senior Member
 
lawdogx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: South Florida
Posts: 256
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTX^2steve View Post
Just finished Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw...again another anemic bass track...I had to crank up the bass! I liked the movie but what the hell is going on with no bass and a movie like this...
I watched H&S last night but with BEQ. Much better than the anemic track the disc wants to give you but still disappointing bass content. I’m not sure what they’re going for with the F&F series but they’re some of the worst examples of bass neutering I’ve seen. I use 2 fast 2 furious and fast 5 as examples to friends of how badly bass tracks get butchered. The neutering starts in the 50’s and the left side of the heat map is pure black. They also show the kind of magic that BEQ can perform!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4A1A24AE-CD41-40C5-B368-6BC2866AED02.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	2641426   Click image for larger version

Name:	EF5C229B-636E-439E-ADA6-E4F8609167E9.png
Views:	32
Size:	1.21 MB
ID:	2641428   Click image for larger version

Name:	F7C0E325-CB83-42CC-A8E2-E12D60FD9310.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	124.4 KB
ID:	2641430   Click image for larger version

Name:	410F667E-3FA9-4A11-8BD4-CB3950CC9CA8.png
Views:	26
Size:	1.23 MB
ID:	2641432  

SPEAKERS: 3 x DIYSG 1099's LCR; DIYSG HTM 6's and 8's surround; 4 x RSL C34E's atmos.
SUBS: 4 x UM18-22 Mini Marty's and 2 x 21DS114-4 Devastators
SIGNAL CHAIN: Denon X4400; Minidsp 2x4 HD; 2 x Jensen Iso Sub 2RX; 3 x NX6000d.

Last edited by lawdogx; 11-15-2019 at 08:15 AM.
lawdogx is online now  
post #16353 of 16576 Old 11-15-2019, 08:54 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
beastaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Western NC
Posts: 14,628
Mentioned: 402 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5670 Post(s)
Liked: 5533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopinater View Post
That would be interesting. It's neat that different subs of the same size can have very different sound signatures based on design and intention of the designer. It's stuff like that which makes this hobby so interesting. And it's why its a never ending quest for many of us.
You being in Central VA we could probably make this work at some point actually. I mean it's 4 1/2 hours for me to get to Lynchburg, under 4 to roanoke, so there is that

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post
I thought the SKhorn is 24 cubes, and the TV36 ipal is 15 cubes, roughly.
Ok close enough. Two, all things considered, very large subs.

European Models do not accept banana plugs
Belly of the Beast: Bass Bunker Theater
beastaudio is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #16354 of 16576 Old 11-15-2019, 09:09 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
MKtheater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New Hartford, NY
Posts: 18,843
Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2579 Post(s)
Liked: 2798
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
You being in Central VA we could probably make this work at some point actually. I mean it's 4 1/2 hours for me to get to Lynchburg, under 4 to roanoke, so there is that



Ok close enough. Two, all things considered, very large subs.
Yeah, I just built two 17 cubes sealed LOL. I would need 30 cubes for 10hz ported with these bad boys. ULF monsters.

Building the room, speakers, and subs.
MKtheater is online now  
post #16355 of 16576 Old 11-15-2019, 12:26 PM
Member
 
Quetzalcoalt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Bulgaria
Posts: 111
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post
Some one who has watched Godzilla KOM tell me what I am doing wrong. First, I just watched an old classic, Battle for LA and as I remember, it is a bass monster! So my set up isn't perfect, but can produce really good bass...
I bought and watched G KOM last weekend and last night, I watched the first half. Either the first half doesn't have impressive bass, or I got some issue...because EVERYONE is saying this movie is a bass monster and what I was hearing good bass, but nothing impressive. Need to wait till the last 1/2 of the movie? I hope to finish it this weekend...
My system was the same. Like no bass at all. Aquaman has a ton more bass. Ready player one has more bass. Either my copy is broken or idk.
Quetzalcoalt is offline  
post #16356 of 16576 Old 11-15-2019, 02:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Hopinater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Central VA
Posts: 6,870
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3586 Post(s)
Liked: 11422
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
You being in Central VA we could probably make this work at some point actually. I mean it's 4 1/2 hours for me to get to Lynchburg, under 4 to roanoke, so there is that
That may work out some day. I'm a little further north from Lynchburg so it'd definitely be a drive for either of us but it would be interesting.

Subwoofers: PSA TV36 iPal X2 ...Speakers: PSA MTM-210T L/R - PSA MTM-210C Center- PSA MT110SR's Surrounds - RSL C34E Atmos... Motion Actuators: Crowson Shadow 8 - X2
Video: Samsung UN65KS9000 4K SUHD - Oppo UDP-203... AVR:Denon X4400... Gaming: XBOX ONE S

Guide to Subwoofer Calibration and Bass Preferences
Hopinater is offline  
post #16357 of 16576 Old 11-15-2019, 06:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Hopinater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Central VA
Posts: 6,870
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3586 Post(s)
Liked: 11422
Holy Smokes... I'm watching Terminater Genisys (blu-ray) with BEQ. The bass I'm getting is pretty incredible. I gotta say, I love LT subs. That ULF impact that just keeps going and going is awesome!

Subwoofers: PSA TV36 iPal X2 ...Speakers: PSA MTM-210T L/R - PSA MTM-210C Center- PSA MT110SR's Surrounds - RSL C34E Atmos... Motion Actuators: Crowson Shadow 8 - X2
Video: Samsung UN65KS9000 4K SUHD - Oppo UDP-203... AVR:Denon X4400... Gaming: XBOX ONE S

Guide to Subwoofer Calibration and Bass Preferences
Hopinater is offline  
post #16358 of 16576 Old 11-15-2019, 08:30 PM
Senior Member
 
HTX^2steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Tampa - Florida
Posts: 255
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Palace Theater

Ok...here is the link for my Pre-Movie Intro...Watch out at the 40 second mark. There is a +2dB 30Hz spike!

I have a friend that does voice over work and I asked him if he could create a movie intro for my theater.

Video with 5.1 audio! It came out awesome!

Does anyone else have intros for their theaters?


HTPC 5.1.2 on a budget...Epson 5050UB/120", 4-13.5" JL-Audio Subs, 4-10" JBL Woofers, 4 - Polk Surrounds, JBL Center, 2- Polk Presence speakers, 2 - Yamaha Atmos speakers, Adcom Sub Amp 555MKII, Yamaha Receiver TSR-7810

Last edited by HTX^2steve; 11-16-2019 at 10:12 AM.
HTX^2steve is online now  
post #16359 of 16576 Old 11-16-2019, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MrGrey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 3,098
Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1750 Post(s)
Liked: 6544
Creed II Dolby Atmos track is freaking awesomely well done!!.
I added an extra 6db+ on the sub and damn,
I felt hits in my body and it banged hard especially with music.
Most definitely recommend Creed I (2015) & Creed II (2018)
for an emotional, powerful and well written movie with great audio tracks.

basshead81 likes this.
MrGrey is offline  
post #16360 of 16576 Old 11-16-2019, 08:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Tom Riddle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Greater Houston Area - Texas
Posts: 1,855
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 817 Post(s)
Liked: 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdogx View Post
I watched H&S last night but with BEQ. Much better than the anemic track the disc wants to give you but still disappointing bass content. I’m not sure what they’re going for with the F&F series but they’re some of the worst examples of bass neutering I’ve seen. I use 2 fast 2 furious and fast 5 as examples to friends of how badly bass tracks get butchered. The neutering starts in the 50’s and the left side of the heat map is pure black. They also show the kind of magic that BEQ can perform!
We just finished Hobbs & Shaw, and while it’s by no means a bass monster, it wasn’t horrible. I watched at -1.5 and there were a couple of good hits. It definitely has a great Atmos track that demonstrates great object placement and three dimensional sound. Just for that, I can forgive the bass. I also enjoyed the movie and would have liked it even more if they didn’t pair so much of the action in the first half with rock songs that overwhelmed at times.
basshead81 likes this.

Routh Family Theater - My Dedicated Home Theater Build - 7.1.4 Atmos Setup
Seymour AV 100" Electronic Masking Screen - Klipsch RF-7 II's, RC-64 II, RS-62 II's, RS-52 II's, CDT-5650 II-C x 4 - PSA V3600I Sub
Marantz AV7704 with TK421 Modification - Panasonic UBD 820
Emotiva XPA -7 & XPA-5 - Sony XBR-75x940c with Ideal-Lume Panelight (Living Room)
Tom Riddle is online now  
post #16361 of 16576 Old 11-16-2019, 10:11 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
basshead81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Fort Wayne, IN
Posts: 13,408
Mentioned: 195 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 9723
basshead81 is offline  
post #16362 of 16576 Old 11-16-2019, 10:31 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
basshead81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Fort Wayne, IN
Posts: 13,408
Mentioned: 195 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 9723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopinater View Post
I actually found the bass and the over all audio to be really good, it easily exceeded my expectations... but then again I went in not knowing what to expect so I was very pleasantly surprised. Having said all that there were a couple of scenes where I felt the bass could have been a bit better. I'll definitely be buying this movie at some point.
I revisited this movie tonight. Evidently I didn't have the audio set right the first go around. Made sure it was on Atmos/THD and the bass is much better. Not top 5 but I see why you mentioned it.
Hopinater likes this.
basshead81 is offline  
post #16363 of 16576 Old 11-17-2019, 07:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
b0rnarian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Indiana
Posts: 2,711
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2104 Post(s)
Liked: 1289
Quote:
Originally Posted by lloyd401 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post
Some one who has watched Godzilla KOM tell me what I am doing wrong. First, I just watched an old classic, Battle for LA and as I remember, it is a bass monster! So my set up isn't perfect, but can produce really good bass...

I bought and watched G KOM last weekend and last night, I watched the first half. Either the first half doesn't have impressive bass, or I got some issue...because EVERYONE is saying this movie is a bass monster and what I was hearing good bass, but nothing impressive. Need to wait till the last 1/2 of the movie? I hope to finish it this weekend...
I thought the same thing about this movie, it was pretty unimpressive on my system. Not sure why but it didnt live up to the hype for me.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
The bass kicks in from the very first frame in this movie, if that's not the case for you guys, something must be up... make sure you are not using dynamic Vol ON, on your recivers or Dynamic Compression (DRC) if you have these settings on ur recievers.

Samsung 65 KS9800 + Denon X4500H (11.2) + OPPO 203 + PS4 + Roku
Disc Lot For SALE : HERE!
b0rnarian is online now  
post #16364 of 16576 Old 11-17-2019, 08:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
chucky7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Posts: 4,843
Mentioned: 318 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3675 Post(s)
Liked: 4911
Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead81 View Post
graphed "Angel Has Fallen" yet?
I watched it Friday night.

My take: it was mixed 3 to 5 dB low. There wasn't much ULF.
basshead81 likes this.

Speakers: L/C/R: JTR Noesis 212HT. Surrounds: Jamo C103, KEF Q100, Polk Audio RTiA3.
Subwoofer: JTR Captivator 4000ULF.
AVR: Denon AVR-X4400H. TV: Samsung UN75NU8000FXZA.

FS: Jamo C103, KEF Q100 and Polk RTiA3
chucky7 is offline  
post #16365 of 16576 Old 11-17-2019, 09:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
PioManiac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Alberta Canada
Posts: 6,436
Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3358 Post(s)
Liked: 8547


chucky7, SuperFist and d-rail34 like this.

The Unfinished Basement Theater & Whisky Guitar Lounge | Bass EQ for Filtered Movies
JVC DLA X750 4K Projector | 120" Powered Drop Screen | 65" LG 65B6P OLED | Panasonic DMP UB900 | Oppo UDP 203 | HDFury Vertex
Yamaha RX-A3070 | 7.4.4.4 | Mission M3i x11 | Funk Audio 18.0 x2 | Velodyne DLS 5000R x2 | Crowson LvL3 MA x4 | miniDSP 2x4HD
PioManiac is offline  
post #16366 of 16576 Old 11-17-2019, 12:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
tbass2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Alabama
Posts: 1,358
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucky7 View Post
I watched it Friday night.

My take: it was mixed 3 to 5 dB low. There wasn't much ULF.
Agreed, movie was very entertaining tho.

It's sad when a movie like Dora the Explorer has better bass than this.



Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Last edited by tbass2k; 11-17-2019 at 04:34 PM.
tbass2k is online now  
post #16367 of 16576 Old 11-17-2019, 05:43 PM
Senior Member
 
Drew Neilson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 226
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I've been researching how to properly place and setup subwoofers, and I came across the following article: Stereo Subwoofers: Why Every Man Needs Two
I'll quote the relevant parts of that article below, but I'm interested in finding out what TV shows and movies have directional bass. I thought I'd check the lists of bass in movies--lists that exist on AVSforum--and I just finished reading about how to read waterfall charts--but I now realize that it would be hard for people to measure the bass content of movies and TV shows from each speaker in their setup, instead of or in addition to measuring it from their main seating position, because if you wanted to measure a movie that has a 7.1 soundtrack, ideally you'd do it on a 7.1 setup, and you'd have to play the movie 8 times, measuring the bass sound one channel at a time, and then optionally measure it with all channels active. So, I'm not expecting to see any charts that have charted each channel individually.
Nevertheless, I am still interested in finding out whatever information I can about directional bass in TV shows and in movies. Here are some things that the article that I linked to says:
"The 5.1 system adds one subwoofer purely for very loud "booms" as a special effect for telling stories as a part of a motion picture. Each of the other five channels also has low bass, and movies today have a lot of multichannel bass information if your system can reproduce it. [...] While 5.1 SACDs may have 5.1 channels, all of those five main channels are full-range, and each deserves a big speaker — or use five + one = six subwoofers! That's how it's monitored in Hollywood. [...] Bass has been released in stereo ever since 1982 on CDs, DVD-As, SACDs, and even in 5.1 movies, and we can hear the difference. [...] Even if we can't hear the direction of the lowest 32 Hz fundamentals themselves, we very much can hear the difference in phase between the two channels, and in stereo recordings, out-of-phase bass information would be summed to zero in a single subwoofer. With stereo subwoofers, any out-of-phase bass information in a true stereo (acoustic) recording is reproduced properly at full level, adding immensely to the perceived width and depth of the room in which the recording was made.
If you sum the bass to mono and try to squeeze it through just one subwoofer, all the out-of-phase information cancels, and reduces the level."
If we're going to have discussion about the topic of directionality of bass in movies, perhaps we should have that discussion in a separate thread in order to keep this thread on-topic, and we'll expand it to include discussion of TV shows and other forms of recorded video content as well.

Edited to add: The article that I linked to is a bit sexist; sorry about that.

TV: LG 47LW5700, AVR: Onkyo TX-NR787, speakers: DCM KX speakers:DCM KX-12 Series 2 (as front left and front right), DCM KX Center Series 2, DCM KX-6 Series 2 (as side surround left and right), sources: Xbox One S, Playstation 2 (fat model), Nintendo GameCube (model with digital AV output) with GameBoy Player, Panasonic VCR (PV-4661), PC: Microsoft Surface Pro (5th generation), phone: iPhone 7 Plus

Last edited by Drew Neilson; 11-17-2019 at 05:55 PM.
Drew Neilson is offline  
post #16368 of 16576 Old 11-17-2019, 06:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
srw1000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 2,974
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTX^2steve View Post
I have a friend that does voice over work and I asked him if he could create a movie intro for my theater.

Video with 5.1 audio! It came out awesome! Not sure how to post something like that...maybe a link to youtube? But waaaaay cool.


Does anyone else have intros for their theaters?
Reminds me of some of the old threads started by @mheadroom over a decade ago.

Here's a link to one of them.

He had put together an awesome set of phrases, some generic, some custom, and had a professional voice-over guy (actually there were two different ones) record them. Anyone that contributed to the effort got all of the files, which included (three, I think) phrases that you could specify. The result was really nice, and complete. I wonder if you and your friend would be willing to do something similar? If so, you could post it in the Home Theater Room Items & Accessories section to gauge interest, but you may want to check with a mod, first.

I ended up making a pretty nice custom intro, but some of today's technology wasn't in the pipeline back then, so the phrases are kind of outdated. I use it every week before playing our weekend movie.

You could easily upload your intro to YouTube for others to see, if that's something you'd want to share.

Scott
SuperFist likes this.

srw1000 is offline  
post #16369 of 16576 Old 11-17-2019, 06:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
SuperFist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,176
Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1412 Post(s)
Liked: 5768
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Neilson View Post
I've been researching how to properly place and setup subwoofers, and I came across the following article: Stereo Subwoofers: Why Every Man Needs Two
I'll quote the relevant parts of that article below, but I'm interested in finding out what TV shows and movies have directional bass. I thought I'd check the lists of bass in movies--lists that exist on AVSforum--and I just finished reading about how to read waterfall charts--but I now realize that it would be hard for people to measure the bass content of movies and TV shows from each speaker in their setup, instead of or in addition to measuring it from their main seating position, because if you wanted to measure a movie that has a 7.1 soundtrack, ideally you'd do it on a 7.1 setup, and you'd have to play the movie 8 times, measuring the bass sound one channel at a time, and then optionally measure it with all channels active. So, I'm not expecting to see any charts that have charted each channel individually.
Nevertheless, I am still interested in finding out whatever information I can about directional bass in TV shows and in movies. Here are some things that the article that I linked to says:
"The 5.1 system adds one subwoofer purely for very loud "booms" as a special effect for telling stories as a part of a motion picture. Each of the other five channels also has low bass, and movies today have a lot of multichannel bass information if your system can reproduce it. [...] While 5.1 SACDs may have 5.1 channels, all of those five main channels are full-range, and each deserves a big speaker — or use five + one = six subwoofers! That's how it's monitored in Hollywood. [...] Bass has been released in stereo ever since 1982 on CDs, DVD-As, SACDs, and even in 5.1 movies, and we can hear the difference. [...] Even if we can't hear the direction of the lowest 32 Hz fundamentals themselves, we very much can hear the difference in phase between the two channels, and in stereo recordings, out-of-phase bass information would be summed to zero in a single subwoofer. With stereo subwoofers, any out-of-phase bass information in a true stereo (acoustic) recording is reproduced properly at full level, adding immensely to the perceived width and depth of the room in which the recording was made.
If you sum the bass to mono and try to squeeze it through just one subwoofer, all the out-of-phase information cancels, and reduces the level."
If we're going to have discussion about the topic of directionality of bass in movies, perhaps we should have that discussion in a separate thread in order to keep this thread on-topic, and we'll expand it to include discussion of TV shows and other forms of recorded video content as well.

Edited to add: The article that I linked to is a bit sexist; sorry about that.
I remember reading a recent post about someone remarking on the directional bass in Godzilla: King Of The Monsters as Godzilla's feet stomped around the characters in a certain scene. I just forgot who it was and what thread it was in.

Does anyone here recall this and who it was?
SuperFist is online now  
post #16370 of 16576 Old 11-17-2019, 06:41 PM
Advanced Member
 
d-rail34's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Longville, LA.
Posts: 921
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 470 Post(s)
Liked: 928
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFist View Post
I remember reading a recent post about someone remarking on the directional bass in Godzilla: King Of The Monsters as Godzilla's feet stomped around the characters in a certain scene. I just forgot who it was and what thread it was in.

Does anyone here recall this and who it was?
IIRC it was one of the trolls in another thread bashing BEQ and trying to make irrelevant and/or contradicting/meaningless points about how our bass and surround mixes should sound.

Although, I could be mistaken. Because...who would do such a thing on an audio forum?

On the topic of directional bass though, I do recall times during a few movies (don't remember which ones) over the past year that I could feel the TR moving about my seating. It was extremely cool to experience that. I just wish that it happened more often.
SuperFist likes this.

"Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken." - Tyler Durden

Living Room - Denon AVR-X2400H/MiniDSP 2X4HD/Hsu Research HB-1 Bookshelfs (4)/HC-1 Center/SVS PB12 Plus (1)/Samsung UN65H7150/Sony UBP-X800/PC Built by D-Rail/XBox One S
d-rail34 is offline  
post #16371 of 16576 Old 11-17-2019, 06:54 PM
Senior Member
 
HTX^2steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Tampa - Florida
Posts: 255
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 186
The result was really nice, and complete. I wonder if you and your friend would be willing to do something similar? If so, you could post it in the Home Theater Room Items & Accessories section to gauge interest, but you may want to check with a mod, first.

I ended up making a pretty nice custom intro, but some of today's technology wasn't in the pipeline back then, so the phrases are kind of outdated. I use it every week before playing our weekend movie.

You could easily upload your intro to YouTube for others to see, if that's something you'd want to share.

Scott[/QUOTE]


Thanks Scott...Anyone who has done post production work knows that even though it is 1.5 min long, the time to do the whole thing was very involved and time consuming.

I could just imagine when you play yours...."Experience DVD at its finest!" hahahaha

Cool link from back in the day....$30 bucks? Wow he was very generous. I know the voice over guy would want three time that amount just for the voice part and then that amount for the post video part would be the same.

It was a lot of fun but we didn't take it serious and a labor of love for this crazy hobby of ours.

I would be game and I know the other guy would also and I will check out that section you mentioned to see if anyone does have an interest/price points.

HTPC 5.1.2 on a budget...Epson 5050UB/120", 4-13.5" JL-Audio Subs, 4-10" JBL Woofers, 4 - Polk Surrounds, JBL Center, 2- Polk Presence speakers, 2 - Yamaha Atmos speakers, Adcom Sub Amp 555MKII, Yamaha Receiver TSR-7810
HTX^2steve is online now  
post #16372 of 16576 Old 11-17-2019, 07:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Hopinater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Central VA
Posts: 6,870
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3586 Post(s)
Liked: 11422
I watched Aquaman tonight with BEQ (first time I've watched it since I added the TV36 iPals). WOW!!! I think this is now my favorite bass movie and IMO it de-thrones TIH as the best superhero bass movie simply because Aquaman has almost non-stop pulsating bass. TIH may have a few more intense moments but Aquaman has (almost) constant bass. At any rate, for 2019 I'm thinking Aquaman may take the title for best bass movie.
Toe, SBuger, PioManiac and 4 others like this.

Subwoofers: PSA TV36 iPal X2 ...Speakers: PSA MTM-210T L/R - PSA MTM-210C Center- PSA MT110SR's Surrounds - RSL C34E Atmos... Motion Actuators: Crowson Shadow 8 - X2
Video: Samsung UN65KS9000 4K SUHD - Oppo UDP-203... AVR:Denon X4400... Gaming: XBOX ONE S

Guide to Subwoofer Calibration and Bass Preferences
Hopinater is offline  
post #16373 of 16576 Old 11-17-2019, 09:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
srw1000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 2,974
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTX^2steve View Post
Thanks Scott...Anyone who has done post production work knows that even though it is 1.5 min long, the time to do the whole thing was very involved and time consuming.
That's for sure. Mine is only 30 seconds long, and it took a long time to put together with custom animation, but it was a lot of fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTX^2steve View Post
I could just imagine when you play yours...."Experience DVD at its finest!" hahahaha
Blu-ray and HD-DVD were a thing then already, so it's not quite that bad. The tougher part was when we moved a few years ago. I had to piece together about four different sound files to come up with the name of our new town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTX^2steve View Post
Cool link from back in the day....$30 bucks? Wow he was very generous. I know the voice over guy would want three time that amount just for the voice part and then that amount for the post video part would be the same.
The $30 was per person, and I think there were over 100 participants, and I think it was an hour or two of recording work. Even so, that put the original announcer (voiceover guy for FOX) out of reach for the subsequent editions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTX^2steve View Post
I would be game and I know the other guy would also and I will check out that section you mentioned to see if anyone does have an interest/price points.
I'll keep an eye out for it there if you end up pursuing it. I don't know if the original guy still visits here, but I know he put a lot of work into it, and it was a labor of love for him. If it would save time, the list of generic phrases he put together would make a great starting point.

Scott

srw1000 is offline  
post #16374 of 16576 Old 11-18-2019, 05:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
lizrussspike's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Parkview, IA
Posts: 3,236
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1292 Post(s)
Liked: 1950
So, again late to the party, I finally watched the remake of Total Recall with Colin. Decent upgrade, but lots of fun bass with that one. It was a rental on VUDU, so wondering about picking that one up on disc.....
lizrussspike is offline  
post #16375 of 16576 Old 11-18-2019, 06:11 AM
Senior Member
 
HTX^2steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Tampa - Florida
Posts: 255
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopinater View Post
I watched Aquaman tonight with BEQ
I thought I would never hear someone "restore" AquaBassMan with BEQ!

Nice!
Hopinater likes this.

HTPC 5.1.2 on a budget...Epson 5050UB/120", 4-13.5" JL-Audio Subs, 4-10" JBL Woofers, 4 - Polk Surrounds, JBL Center, 2- Polk Presence speakers, 2 - Yamaha Atmos speakers, Adcom Sub Amp 555MKII, Yamaha Receiver TSR-7810
HTX^2steve is online now  
post #16376 of 16576 Old 11-18-2019, 08:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
PioManiac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Alberta Canada
Posts: 6,436
Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3358 Post(s)
Liked: 8547
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTX^2steve View Post
I thought I would never hear someone "restore" AquaBassMan with BEQ!

Nice!
BEQ really helps fill in the <20Hz content for those with subs capable of playing lower,
For those with Tactile Transducers like Butt Kickers/Crowson's or a Boss system, its a game changer.

Hop is 100% right, Aquaman is the closest thing we've seen for a start to finish Total Bass-Fest (Wall of Orange/Yellow) since MMFR

Aquaman after BEQ (left) but still Very good even without BEQ (right)


The Incredible Hulk (for comparison)
Spoiler!


The Cloverfeild Paradox


Overlord


Godzilla KOTM


Alita: Battle Angel


Spider-Man Into the Spiderverse


Hunter Killer


Mad Max Fury Road (From the 2016 list)
Spoiler!
Hopinater and d-rail34 like this.

The Unfinished Basement Theater & Whisky Guitar Lounge | Bass EQ for Filtered Movies
JVC DLA X750 4K Projector | 120" Powered Drop Screen | 65" LG 65B6P OLED | Panasonic DMP UB900 | Oppo UDP 203 | HDFury Vertex
Yamaha RX-A3070 | 7.4.4.4 | Mission M3i x11 | Funk Audio 18.0 x2 | Velodyne DLS 5000R x2 | Crowson LvL3 MA x4 | miniDSP 2x4HD

Last edited by PioManiac; 11-18-2019 at 10:38 AM.
PioManiac is offline  
post #16377 of 16576 Old 11-18-2019, 09:30 AM
Senior Member
 
HTX^2steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Tampa - Florida
Posts: 255
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 186
All i want for Xmas!....:d
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Extreme_BEQ.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	523.5 KB
ID:	2642660  
d-rail34 likes this.

HTPC 5.1.2 on a budget...Epson 5050UB/120", 4-13.5" JL-Audio Subs, 4-10" JBL Woofers, 4 - Polk Surrounds, JBL Center, 2- Polk Presence speakers, 2 - Yamaha Atmos speakers, Adcom Sub Amp 555MKII, Yamaha Receiver TSR-7810

Last edited by HTX^2steve; 11-18-2019 at 09:34 AM.
HTX^2steve is online now  
post #16378 of 16576 Old 11-18-2019, 10:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
PioManiac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Alberta Canada
Posts: 6,436
Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3358 Post(s)
Liked: 8547
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFist View Post
Regarding damn near nonstop bass assault, don't forget Hurricane Heist!

One of the few BEQs where the bottom end stayed as is and the upper frequency of the mix was reduced!

Spoiler!
Yup, but The Hurricane Heist is already on last years (2018) list.
It's just about time to compile the finalists for 2019.... as Hop said, Aquaman looks to be a top contender for 2019

2018 list had 34 entries

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2019 List.png
Views:	109
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	2642680  
SuperFist, Hopinater and d-rail34 like this.

The Unfinished Basement Theater & Whisky Guitar Lounge | Bass EQ for Filtered Movies
JVC DLA X750 4K Projector | 120" Powered Drop Screen | 65" LG 65B6P OLED | Panasonic DMP UB900 | Oppo UDP 203 | HDFury Vertex
Yamaha RX-A3070 | 7.4.4.4 | Mission M3i x11 | Funk Audio 18.0 x2 | Velodyne DLS 5000R x2 | Crowson LvL3 MA x4 | miniDSP 2x4HD
PioManiac is offline  
post #16379 of 16576 Old 11-18-2019, 02:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Hopinater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Central VA
Posts: 6,870
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3586 Post(s)
Liked: 11422
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizrussspike View Post
So, again late to the party, I finally watched the remake of Total Recall with Colin. Decent upgrade, but lots of fun bass with that one. It was a rental on VUDU, so wondering about picking that one up on disc.....
I don't know what it is about that movie but its one of my favorites. Sometimes when I can't decide what to watch I'll pick the Total Recall remake. And yeah, it has good bass moments for sure.

Subwoofers: PSA TV36 iPal X2 ...Speakers: PSA MTM-210T L/R - PSA MTM-210C Center- PSA MT110SR's Surrounds - RSL C34E Atmos... Motion Actuators: Crowson Shadow 8 - X2
Video: Samsung UN65KS9000 4K SUHD - Oppo UDP-203... AVR:Denon X4400... Gaming: XBOX ONE S

Guide to Subwoofer Calibration and Bass Preferences
Hopinater is offline  
post #16380 of 16576 Old 11-18-2019, 03:14 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
basshead81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Fort Wayne, IN
Posts: 13,408
Mentioned: 195 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 9723
Angel has Fallen- could of been a bass masterpiece if had the ULF. Good flick all around imo, just need more of the goods. Im sure BEQ probably helps a ton on this one.
basshead81 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off