New placement friendly subwoofer 1700$ max - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By bpgunning
  • 1 Post By littlefoott
  • 1 Post By basshead81
  • 1 Post By littlefoott
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 03-02-2017, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
zap123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
New placement friendly subwoofer 1700$ max

Hi, I wanna buy a new subwoofer for 60% music and 40% HT.
It needs to be very placement friendly because it´s going in a small living room only 322 square feet. My budget is about 1500 dollars.

I'm considering:
Paradigm Millenia subwoofer.


Does that subwoofer deliver a good performance in addition to beeing easy to place?
What are the other models I should consider?

Thanx in advance.

Ps.

Here is the rest of the system if it matters:
2x ELAC UNI-FI FS U5
ELAC UNI-FI CC U5 slim
2x ELAC WS 1445

ANTHEM MRX-720 RECEIVER




zap123 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 16 Old 03-02-2017, 10:00 PM
Member
 
bpgunning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: ABQ
Posts: 103
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by zap123 View Post
I'm considering:
Paradigm Millenia subwoofer.


Does that subwoofer deliver a good performance in addition to beeing easy to place?
Most likely not. 300W RMS is not much in general, and it's a small sub - with few notable exceptions, most small subwoofers don't offer much in terms of performance. I'd recommend something like a PSA S1500 which you can get in some very nice finishes for highly visible living room use. It's not exactly small in absolute terms (18x17x17.25"), but is one of the smaller subs you'll see recommended on these boards I suspect. I had the 15V, a ported version, for a little while and was very impressed. If you can fit it, the S1801 would be even better - more output and a newly redesigned driver, but a substantially larger box (22x20x20.5"), and also doesn't have the custom finishes. If you need something with a smaller footprint you might consider the SVS PC cylindrical subs.

No doubt Paradigm makes some nice speakers, but for the price their subwoofers aren't really competitive with many of the fantastic ID offerings these days.
zap123 likes this.
bpgunning is offline  
post #3 of 16 Old 03-02-2017, 10:24 PM
Advanced Member
 
littlefoott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Edmonton,Alberta
Posts: 939
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked: 223
To be placement friendly , get 2 nice small ones that still perform great.

With one, you may place it where the room doesn't work with it, room acoustics have a lot to do with effective placement of a single sub.

With 2 you can be much more flexible in where they go

The Svs SB2000
has a small footprint and comes in black ash or piano black
14.6”H 14.2"W 15.4”D

great for music and good for home theater
buy dual and save $100

for 2 subs
Piano black is $1500
Black ash is $1300

enjoy!

Audyssey is a great start, but not always a great finish.
Receiver:Marantz SR-7012, Speakers:Def Tech ST-8060 towers, CS-8040 center, SR-8040 surrounds, Pro Monitor 1000 heights
Subwoofer: SVS PB-2000
TV: 65" LG UG8700 remote: Harmony 1000

Last edited by littlefoott; 03-02-2017 at 11:29 PM.
littlefoott is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 16 Old 03-03-2017, 01:43 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
zap123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpgunning View Post
Most likely not. 300W RMS is not much in general, and it's a small sub - with few notable exceptions, most small subwoofers don't offer much in terms of performance. I'd recommend something like a PSA S1500 which you can get in some very nice finishes for highly visible living room use. It's not exactly small in absolute terms (18x17x17.25"), but is one of the smaller subs you'll see recommended on these boards I suspect. I had the 15V, a ported version, for a little while and was very impressed. If you can fit it, the S1801 would be even better - more output and a newly redesigned driver, but a substantially larger box (22x20x20.5"), and also doesn't have the custom finishes. If you need something with a smaller footprint you might consider the SVS PC cylindrical subs.

No doubt Paradigm makes some nice speakers, but for the price their subwoofers aren't really competitive with many of the fantastic ID offerings these days.
Thanks for the recommendation, unfortunately, PSA subs are not sold here in Norway. Most brands mentioned here on the forum, are sold however. What about Rel? They seem to sell some small form factor subwoofers.
zap123 is offline  
post #5 of 16 Old 03-03-2017, 01:50 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
zap123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlefoott View Post
To be placement friendly , get 2 nice small ones that still perform great.

With one, you may place it where the room doesn't work with it, room acoustics have a lot to do with effective placement of a single sub.

With 2 you can be much more flexible in where they go

The Svs SB2000
has a small footprint and comes in black ash or piano black
14.6”H 14.2"W 15.4”D

great for music and good for home theater
buy dual and save $100

for 2 subs
Piano black is $1500
Black ash is $1300

enjoy!
I want 2 subs in the future, but I want to start with one and see if I need it, also I can buy a more expensive sub combo if I wait with the second subwoofer.
zap123 is offline  
post #6 of 16 Old 03-03-2017, 01:59 AM
Advanced Member
 
littlefoott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Edmonton,Alberta
Posts: 939
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked: 223
are you familiar with the subwoofer crawl, if not, google it

it's the best method to find where a subwoofer should go, without using specialized equipment.
if you do choose to start with one subwoofer, use that method to find a place for it.

the paradigm you mentioned was a low profile, so I didn't want to mention larger footprint options.
For your price range there are much better performers, however they are a large single enclosure.
zap123 likes this.

Audyssey is a great start, but not always a great finish.
Receiver:Marantz SR-7012, Speakers:Def Tech ST-8060 towers, CS-8040 center, SR-8040 surrounds, Pro Monitor 1000 heights
Subwoofer: SVS PB-2000
TV: 65" LG UG8700 remote: Harmony 1000

Last edited by littlefoott; 03-03-2017 at 02:09 AM.
littlefoott is offline  
post #7 of 16 Old 03-03-2017, 04:24 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
zap123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlefoott View Post
are you familiar with the subwoofer crawl, if not, google it

it's the best method to find where a subwoofer should go, without using specialized equipment.
if you do choose to start with one subwoofer, use that method to find a place for it.

the paradigm you mentioned was a low profile, so I didn't want to mention larger footprint options.
For your price range there are much better performers, however they are a large single enclosure.
Okay, so what would you recommend in a nice all be it with a larger footprint?
zap123 is offline  
post #8 of 16 Old 03-03-2017, 06:09 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
basshead81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Fort Wayne, IN
Posts: 13,997
Mentioned: 220 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked: 10948
basshead81 is offline  
post #9 of 16 Old 03-03-2017, 06:28 AM
Advanced Member
 
littlefoott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Edmonton,Alberta
Posts: 939
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked: 223
psa S3000I would be on my short list
little bit larger footprint but your movies and music would make the hair on your arms stand up, literally
Shipment dimensions (D x W x H): 28" x 23" x 28"
Shipment weight: 125lbs

Audyssey is a great start, but not always a great finish.
Receiver:Marantz SR-7012, Speakers:Def Tech ST-8060 towers, CS-8040 center, SR-8040 surrounds, Pro Monitor 1000 heights
Subwoofer: SVS PB-2000
TV: 65" LG UG8700 remote: Harmony 1000

Last edited by littlefoott; 03-03-2017 at 07:02 AM.
littlefoott is offline  
post #10 of 16 Old 03-03-2017, 06:34 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
basshead81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Fort Wayne, IN
Posts: 13,997
Mentioned: 220 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked: 10948
Op said PSA is not available in Norway. Are you not following along in the thread you have posted in 3 times? Lol
bscool likes this.
basshead81 is offline  
post #11 of 16 Old 03-03-2017, 06:41 AM
Member
 
bpgunning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: ABQ
Posts: 103
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by zap123 View Post
Thanks for the recommendation, unfortunately, PSA subs are not sold here in Norway. Most brands mentioned here on the forum, are sold however. What about Rel? They seem to sell some small form factor subwoofers.
I don't know much about REL. I would talk to Tom, he's available on the PSA website chat, and see if they have an option for you in Norway. It looks like they have a distributor for most every country in Europe but for some reason Norway isn't on the list (link). Even if it ends up costing some more for importing, I think it would be pretty challenging to find a better performance-per-dollar sub than some of the PSA offerings. And even if it's a bit more of a nuisance to get it, I think it's worth looking into. I'm not sure if the other ID companies do international shipping or have distributors for Norway either. IMO the next best bet would be the SVS subs - a SB13 Ultra is decently small at 18x17.5x20.5", and should fit in your budget ($1600). Or the the PC12 Plus if you like the cylindrical subs, or the SB2000 would be a bigger step down but much cheaper.
bpgunning is offline  
post #12 of 16 Old 03-03-2017, 07:05 AM
Advanced Member
 
littlefoott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Edmonton,Alberta
Posts: 939
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked: 223
nope, I missed that post
basshead81 likes this.

Audyssey is a great start, but not always a great finish.
Receiver:Marantz SR-7012, Speakers:Def Tech ST-8060 towers, CS-8040 center, SR-8040 surrounds, Pro Monitor 1000 heights
Subwoofer: SVS PB-2000
TV: 65" LG UG8700 remote: Harmony 1000
littlefoott is offline  
post #13 of 16 Old 03-03-2017, 07:14 AM
Advanced Member
 
littlefoott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Edmonton,Alberta
Posts: 939
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked: 223
ok second choice JTR Captivator 118HT
and the rythmic already mentioned

Audyssey is a great start, but not always a great finish.
Receiver:Marantz SR-7012, Speakers:Def Tech ST-8060 towers, CS-8040 center, SR-8040 surrounds, Pro Monitor 1000 heights
Subwoofer: SVS PB-2000
TV: 65" LG UG8700 remote: Harmony 1000
littlefoott is offline  
post #14 of 16 Old 03-03-2017, 07:16 AM
Advanced Member
 
littlefoott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Edmonton,Alberta
Posts: 939
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked: 223
third choice svs PC13-Ultra

Audyssey is a great start, but not always a great finish.
Receiver:Marantz SR-7012, Speakers:Def Tech ST-8060 towers, CS-8040 center, SR-8040 surrounds, Pro Monitor 1000 heights
Subwoofer: SVS PB-2000
TV: 65" LG UG8700 remote: Harmony 1000
littlefoott is offline  
post #15 of 16 Old 03-03-2017, 12:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Kini62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 8,473
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2948 Post(s)
Liked: 2824
Quote:
Originally Posted by zap123 View Post
Hi, I wanna buy a new subwoofer for 60% music and 40% HT.
It needs to be very placement friendly because it´s going in a small living room only 322 square feet. My budget is about 1500 dollars.

I'm considering:
Paradigm Millenia subwoofer.


Does that subwoofer deliver a good performance in addition to beeing easy to place?
What are the other models I should consider?

Thanx in advance.

Ps.

Here is the rest of the system if it matters:
2x ELAC UNI-FI FS U5
ELAC UNI-FI CC U5 slim
2x ELAC WS 1445

ANTHEM MRX-720 RECEIVER




Tell us what is available in Norway to get a better recommendation.

Is XTZ available? They have some pretty good subs and are based in Europe. Try to buy local if possible if nothing more than for peace of mind if the warrant is needed.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Onkyo RZ820
Roku Ultra, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Quattron
Kini62 is offline  
post #16 of 16 Old 03-03-2017, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
zap123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by zap123 View Post
Hi, I wanna buy a new subwoofer for 60% music and 40% HT.
It needs to be very placement friendly because it?s going in a small living room only 322 square feet. My budget is about 1500 dollars.

I'm considering:
Paradigm Millenia subwoofer.


Does that subwoofer deliver a good performance in addition to beeing easy to place?
What are the other models I should consider?

Thanx in advance.

Ps.

Here is the rest of the system if it matters:
2x ELAC UNI-FI FS U5
ELAC UNI-FI CC U5 slim
2x ELAC WS 1445

ANTHEM MRX-720 RECEIVER




Tell us what is available in Norway to get a better recommendation.

Is XTZ available? They have some pretty good subs and are based in Europe. Try to buy local if possible if nothing more than for peace of mind if the warrant is needed.
Good point

XTZ and SVS are both available in Norway. Others include Rel, JL Audio, Velodyne and alot more, but those are the pure sub manufacturers I can rember...

What about XTZ, any model recommendations?
zap123 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off