Hard drive on top of subwoofer? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Orijen
  • 1 Post By Bill Fitzmaurice
  • 1 Post By markrubin

post #1 of 8 Old 03-04-2017, 05:00 AM - Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1859 Post(s)
Liked: 3681
Hard drive on top of subwoofer?

I know conventional wisdom is not to do it, but I have to ask:

I am running out of space to mount new gear that I want to audition: an ideal spot would be on top of a Rythmic 15 inch non ported sub woofer

I have a NAD M50.2 that contains 2 hard drives and a CD drive that I would like to place on top of the sub: I would use Vibrapods under the NAD feet

so is the answer still a no, don't do it? or is it something others have done? would it affect operation or could it damage the NAD?

tia

please take the high road in every post:do not respond to or quote a problematic post: report it
HDMI.org:what a mess HDCP = Hollywood's Draconian Copy Protection system
LG C9 OLED owner

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-04-2017, 05:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 841 Post(s)
Liked: 791
Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post

I am running out of space to mount new gear that I want to audition: an ideal spot would be on top of a Rythmic 15 inch non ported sub woofer

I have a NAD M50.2 that contains 2 hard drives and a CD drive that I would like to place on top of the sub: I would use Vibrapods under the NAD feet

so is the answer still a no, don't do it? or is it something others have done? would it affect operation or could it damage the NAD?

tia
Do it and let us know what happen

Dedicated Sonus faber HT 7.2.4 | FRONTS: Sonus Faber Venere 2.0 CENTER: Sonus Faber Venere Centre FRONT WIDES: Sonus Faber Venere 1.5 SURROUNDS: Sonus Faber Venere 1.5 TF/TR - ATMOS-DTS:X: Sonus Faber Venere Wall (4) | RECEIVER: Marantz SR7010 AMPLIFICATION: Monolith 7x200 | SUBWOOFERS: Dual 18" Dayton RSS460 Custom Build | Behringer iNuke 6000DSP | Velodyne SMS-1 DISPLAY: JVC D-ILA RS-46 w/ 128" 16:9 1.4 TREATMENT: Custom Bass Traps and Acoustic Panels (11)
post #3 of 8 Old 03-04-2017, 05:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked: 102
With 20 subwoofers in a 14 by 11 listening space. I have always found that it does not make much difference , worrying about hard drives, seeing as if I cant keep hanging pictures on any walls without getting unwanted vibration noise, and seeing as, the vibration on my wall mounted shelving is probably close to being right on top of some subwoofers, I doubt you will have many issues.

You may wish to keep a complete extra hard drive , cloned in case.

I have had over 15 drives subjected to a lot of vibration, and never had any performance issues with the drives. This is with all those drives in desktops on a shelf directly above 6 ported 15 inch subs. and the rest of the subs designated in left and right channel positions.

It would not hurt to try and dampen them off as you are doing. All the best!

AVSCIENCE.COM. topic = 459.60
A Good amplifier requires a adequate power supply, It does not matter what the amplifier is capable of if the power supply will not provide the power required. Most amplifiers have under rated power supplies. It is up to you to make sure you get the ones that are least under rated if at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 03-04-2017, 05:31 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post

If you have to ask with doubt, read the first 5 words in your own sig line.
jsgrise likes this.
post #5 of 8 Old 03-04-2017, 05:36 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 89
It won't bother a hard drive at all, even without the feet, though they might be useful to keep anything from rattling.
post #6 of 8 Old 03-04-2017, 05:52 AM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 75
If your subwoofer ever plays a tone that decays in amplitude, then the magnetic field from the woofer coils could demagnetize the hard drive .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	degaussing.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	2005417  

Mainfloor 2.1 Music/TV System: KEF LS50W, Ibeam sonic transducer, Oppo 105D, Panasonic 60VT65, Linn LP12
Basement 5.2 Theater: EV ELX115P for LR & Surrounds, 88-Special for center, stereo Stonehenge subs with RSS460HO-4 drivers, Emotiva XMC-1, Epson 6030 UB.

Last edited by hardeng; 03-04-2017 at 05:58 AM.
post #7 of 8 Old 03-04-2017, 06:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 5788
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardeng View Post
If your subwoofer ever plays a tone that decays in amplitude, then the magnetic field from the woofer coils could demagnetize the hard drive
Why don't the magnets on the speakers in a laptop do the same to the laptop HD? They're a lot closer to the HD than the magnet of a sub driver ever could be.
The reason is that a driver magnet has a permanent field. Back in the days of recording tape we used alternating field electro magnets to erase tape, and even those had to be virtually touching the tape to be effective.
Onetrack97 likes this.
post #8 of 8 Old 03-04-2017, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 1859 Post(s)
Liked: 3681
thanks for the comments

I moved some gear around and made a place for the M50.2 in the rack where I am sure it will be much happier
ChromeJob likes this.

please take the high road in every post:do not respond to or quote a problematic post: report it
HDMI.org:what a mess HDCP = Hollywood's Draconian Copy Protection system
LG C9 OLED owner

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page