HSU VTF-15H MK2 to much for my space? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Raylon
  • 2 Post By HsuKevin

post #1 of 18 Old 03-07-2017, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 50
HSU VTF-15H MK2 to much for my space?

Hey everyone, thanks in advance for any feedback and help.

Budget: $1000

My current sub is a Radio Shack Optimus PRO SW-1OP that i purchased ~25yrs ago for a HTiB. The Optimus is better than having nothing but suffers from everything you'd expect from a low end sub.

I'm upgrading my HT gear (not received yet) so i'll need a quality sub to go with it. The HT gear will consist of:

Receiver: Denon 2809ci
Mains: Paradigm Studio 20's v3
Center: Paradigm Studio CC-570 v3
Rears: still need

With this better gear i'd imagine my listening and viewing habits will be 50/50 (movies/music).

My Space:

Living Room: ~2200 Cubic FT (20Lx12Wx9H). Viewing is length wise. Sofa on left wall and TV, speakers (L/C/R) on right wall. This area includes stairs along the wall (TV end, length side) up and around to 2nd floor. On the sofa end there's a archway (4 1/2ft (W) x 7 1/2ft (H) opening to the dining room (the archway and stairs are on the same length side with the other length side having the home door exit).

Dining Room: ~1200 Cubic FT (12Lx11Wx9H). This area has 2 open doorways, 1 to the kitchen and the other to a small hallway.

ATM there's really only one placement location which is next to the sofa end that opens into the dining room.

I've been reading reviews etc and the HSU VTF-15H MK2 has my attention, though it's a massive unit compared to my old sub. At 18"Wx28"D the VTF-15H MK2 would leave a small passway between the living and dining room. I'll have to clear out that area and make a cardboard replica of the VTF-15H MK2 to be sure its doable.

Will i be able to place the VTF-15H MK2 flush against the wall because its front firing?

In reviews i've read i haven't seen actual stated volume levels. I usually listen at -15 to -10 from reference. That's with the old gear and while i have gone higher the sound was easily distorted. With the newer gear i may appreciate a bit higher volume but it's not likely i'll crank it up to excessive higher output volumes. Compared to my old sub most any newer sub (ie.., PB1000) will be a vast improvement. But I figure why not get one to enjoy deep bass with.

So at -5 to -15 of referrence will i feel the base in my gut/chest etc or will i need to go to higher volume?

Is the VTF-15H MK2 to much for my space?

In comparison to my old sub maybe the ULS-15 would be a better fit? Or is ported the way to go for that deep base in movies?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 03-07-2017, 03:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 2678 Post(s)
Liked: 2465
No. To buy two would not be TOO much.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Onkyo RZ820
Roku Ultra, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Quattron
post #3 of 18 Old 03-07-2017, 04:28 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked: 583
There is basically no such thing as too much. I have an 18" sealed sub in my 10'x10' bedroom and I could still use more IMO. If it's too much, lower the gain on the sub. More headroom is better.
jsgrise likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 03-07-2017, 04:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked: 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raylon View Post
There is basically no such thing as too much. I have an 18" sealed sub in my 10'x10' bedroom and I could still use more IMO. If it's too much, lower the gain on the sub. More headroom is better.
Exactly, there is never too much of a good thing!

If it still fit, it's not too much.

Dedicated Sonus Faber HT 7.2.4 | FRONTS: Sonus Faber Venere 2.0 CENTER: Sonus Faber Venere Centre FRONT WIDES: Sonus Faber Venere 1.5 SURROUNDS: Sonus Faber Venere 1.5 TF/TR - ATMOS-DTS:X: Sonus Faber Venere Wall (4) | RECEIVER: Marantz SR7010 AMPLIFICATION: Monolith 7x200 | SUBWOOFERS: Dual 18" Dayton RSS460 Custom Build | Behringer iNuke 6000DSP | Velodyne SMS-1 DISPLAY: JVC D-ILA RS-46 w/ 128" 16:9 1.4 TREATMENT: Custom Bass Traps and Acoustic Panels (11)
post #5 of 18 Old 03-07-2017, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raylon View Post
If it's too much, lower the gain on the sub. More headroom is better.
I'm a noob, so what does having more headroom mean/do exactly?
post #6 of 18 Old 03-07-2017, 04:43 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorderl View Post
I'm a noob, so what does having more headroom mean/do exactly?
Basically if the sub isn't working as hard to achieve the volume you want then the less wear and tear on it and less distortion you will have.
post #7 of 18 Old 03-08-2017, 12:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked: 2415
Buying a sub is basically like buying a sportscar. There's not such thing as too much HP. You don't have to use it all, but it's there if you need it.

Subs>RBH I-12e/I-12. HSU VTF-15H mk2. Monolith THX 12(x2)/THX 10(x2). XTZ 1X12. SVS PB-1000(x2). Speakers>JBL 270/235c/230/225c, Arena 130/125c. Jamo S807/S803. Infinity P363/163. Sony CS3/CS8/CS5. QA 3020i/3090Ci, 2020i/2000c. Monolith Cinema 5 bs. Polk RTiA1/CsiA4. Other Audio>Sony MDR-Z7m2, WH-XB700, XB32, XB31. Sennheiser HD58X, HD4.50, PC37X. SIVGA SV004. HyperX Cloud PS4 HS. Plantronics RIG500 Pro HS. LG FH6,RK8,RK7,PK5. UE Boom3.
post #8 of 18 Old 03-08-2017, 06:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 7
In case your wondering, most people in the subwoofer section are going to feel like there's never too much subbage. I asked a similar question not that long ago and even though I haven't purchased yet here's the collection of responses in a nutshell.

Start with a 15"-18" ported sub, use the subwoofer crawl method to place it, then measure the room with SPL meter to tune it(HSU's owners guide tells how). Hopefully you get by with one sub. If you can't get an even response with your current sub/seating arrangement then you may need another to fill those bass nulls in your room. The HSU Owners guide is pretty detailed about sub placement and tuning. Bass is subjective. My room rattles and shakes and it like I'm tearing the house down when the bass hits(on my old setup). I had 2 15" ported subs in 3000 cubic foot room. They were built in to my towers so I couldn't adjust placement though. If I could've tuned and with placement, spl meter, and eq, I think it would've been pretty good.

I will still follow the method described here though. Subs are expensive and don't fit in rooms very well unless they are dedicated HT rooms.
post #9 of 18 Old 03-08-2017, 10:50 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 6144 Post(s)
Liked: 5366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62 View Post
No. To buy two would not be TOO much.
I see what you did there.
post #10 of 18 Old 03-08-2017, 11:13 AM

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankhenrylee View Post
In case your wondering, most people in the subwoofer section are going to feel like there's never too much subbage. I asked a similar question not that long ago and even though I haven't purchased yet here's the collection of responses in a nutshell.

Start with a 15"-18" ported sub, use the subwoofer crawl method to place it, then measure the room with SPL meter to tune it(HSU's owners guide tells how). Hopefully you get by with one sub. If you can't get an even response with your current sub/seating arrangement then you may need another to fill those bass nulls in your room. The HSU Owners guide is pretty detailed about sub placement and tuning. Bass is subjective. My room rattles and shakes and it like I'm tearing the house down when the bass hits(on my old setup). I had 2 15" ported subs in 3000 cubic foot room. They were built in to my towers so I couldn't adjust placement though. If I could've tuned and with placement, spl meter, and eq, I think it would've been pretty good.

I will still follow the method described here though. Subs are expensive and don't fit in rooms very well unless they are dedicated HT rooms.
Hi Lorderl,

I think a single VTF-15H Mk2 should be a good choice. I do agree with the others that at least from a performance perspective, you can never have too much sub for your room, unless the size of the sub is prohibiting you from placing the sub in an ideal placement. Aesthetically, that may be a different story depending on your preference. If you went with the ULS-15 Mk2, would you still be confined to the same placement? Having the sub flush with the wall, may be OK, but I would recommend having it 1/4" away from the wall, or have it so that it's not touching the wall. From the listening levels given, I would say the VTF-15H Mk2 should work very well in that room and give you a good amount of clean headroom. You can also consider the VTF-3 Mk5 HP if the depth is getting in the way. It will not give you as much clean headroom in the ultra deep bass (20 Hz and below) as the VTF-15H Mk2, but it will still be a solid performer and will likely perform the same as the VTF-15H Mk2 for the majority of movies that are out there. If you do end up occasionally turning it close to reference levels, I would be more on the side of recommending the VTF-15H Mk2 or VTF-3 Mk5 HP over the ULS-15 Mk2, because it would be able to give you significantly more clean headroom in the deeper bass, so it won't compress/distort as early if you play a movie with a lot of sub bass content. In terms of the gut/chest punch, our 15" subs can certainly provide a good amount of that. Placement/room acoustics is usually the main culprit in keeping the sub from giving you that gut/chest punch feel. Whether you need to turn it up to get the punch you're looking for, at least technically shouldn't be a problem, provided you don't have significant dips in the response at those frequencies or the original material was not recorded to provide that. It does come down to personal preference as well, so there are a few variable to consider.
Kini62 and JSKMDWK like this.

Kevin W.
Hsu Research
Sales and Marketing Representative
post #11 of 18 Old 03-08-2017, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HsuKevin View Post
Hi Lorderl,

I think a single VTF-15H Mk2 should be a good choice. I do agree with the others that at least from a performance perspective, you can never have too much sub for your room, unless the size of the sub is prohibiting you from placing the sub in an ideal placement. Aesthetically, that may be a different story depending on your preference. If you went with the ULS-15 Mk2, would you still be confined to the same placement? Having the sub flush with the wall, may be OK, but I would recommend having it 1/4" away from the wall, or have it so that it's not touching the wall. From the listening levels given, I would say the VTF-15H Mk2 should work very well in that room and give you a good amount of clean headroom. You can also consider the VTF-3 Mk5 HP if the depth is getting in the way. It will not give you as much clean headroom in the ultra deep bass (20 Hz and below) as the VTF-15H Mk2, but it will still be a solid performer and will likely perform the same as the VTF-15H Mk2 for the majority of movies that are out there. If you do end up occasionally turning it close to reference levels, I would be more on the side of recommending the VTF-15H Mk2 or VTF-3 Mk5 HP over the ULS-15 Mk2, because it would be able to give you significantly more clean headroom in the deeper bass, so it won't compress/distort as early if you play a movie with a lot of sub bass content. In terms of the gut/chest punch, our 15" subs can certainly provide a good amount of that. Placement/room acoustics is usually the main culprit in keeping the sub from giving you that gut/chest punch feel. Whether you need to turn it up to get the punch you're looking for, at least technically shouldn't be a problem, provided you don't have significant dips in the response at those frequencies or the original material was not recorded to provide that. It does come down to personal preference as well, so there are a few variable to consider.
Awww crap, had a nice reply laid out but got a security token error when i submitted the post. Figures i didn't type it up in Word first like i normally would. Well here's the shorter version, LOL.

Hey Kevin, thxs for answering all my questions. With my space limitation i'm doing 1 large sub and i'm restricted to the same location regardless of the sub i purchase. I made a size replica of the VTF-15H Mk2 today and brought it out to 29" and the throughway is still clear and i'll still have a little wiggle room with the width.

My old sub is down firing and covers the area well, though of course the sound is crap. I suspect i'll get similar coverage with the VTF-15H Mk2 at this location, or are the dynamics between down firing and front firing totally different?

BTW, any talk of a newer VTF-15H Mk2 circulating? I don't know when the VTF-15H Mk2 was released but It'd be disappointing if i made a purchase then shortly afterwards a new unit is released that may suit me better.

Last edited by Lorderl; 03-08-2017 at 07:31 PM.
post #12 of 18 Old 03-09-2017, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Awww crap, had a nice reply laid out but got a security token error when i submitted the post. Figures i didn't type it up in Word first like i normally would. Well here's the shorter version, LOL.

Hey Kevin, thxs for answering all my questions. With my space limitation i'm doing 1 large sub and i'm restricted to the same location regardless of the sub i purchase. I made a size replica of the VTF-15H Mk2 today and brought it out to 29" and the throughway is still clear and i'll still have a little wiggle room with the width.

My old sub is down firing and covers the area well, though of course the sound is crap. I suspect i'll get similar coverage with the VTF-15H Mk2 at this location, or are the dynamics between down firing and front firing totally different?

BTW, any talk of a newer VTF-15H Mk2 circulating? I don't know when the VTF-15H Mk2 was released but It'd be disappointing if i made a purchase then shortly afterwards a new unit is released that may suit me better.
If you're restricted by the same placement, regardless of sub, then the VTF-15H Mk2 would certainly be a safer bet as it would be able to provide you with more clean output than the ULS-15 Mk2. I would say that you would likely get similar coverage with the VTF-15h Mk2, but likely the VTF-15H Mk2 will give you more extension, depending on which sub you had previously. Bass is pretty much omnidirectional from 80 Hz and below, so generally whether it's front or down shouldn't make too much of a difference.

We generally don't like short product cycles for our subs for that very reason. As of now, we are not looking into releasing a Mk3 of the VTF-15H Mk2 any time soon.

Kevin W.
Hsu Research
post #13 of 18 Old 03-09-2017, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
If you're restricted by the same placement, regardless of sub, then the VTF-15H Mk2 would certainly be a safer bet as it would be able to provide you with more clean output than the ULS-15 Mk2. I would say that you would likely get similar coverage with the VTF-15h Mk2, but likely the VTF-15H Mk2 will give you more extension, depending on which sub you had previously. Bass is pretty much omnidirectional from 80 Hz and below, so generally whether it's front or down shouldn't make too much of a difference.

We generally don't like short product cycles for our subs for that very reason. As of now, we are not looking into releasing a Mk3 of the VTF-15H Mk2 any time soon.
Thxs again. All that's left now is to see if the wife wants the VTF-15H Mk2 in Rosenut or not. I don't really see how it'll matter as I'm sure she'll put some sort of matte covering on it, lol.
post #14 of 18 Old 03-10-2017, 01:22 PM

No problem! I hear ya on the covering. That tends to occur frequently with our subs.

Kevin W.
Hsu Research
post #15 of 18 Old 03-10-2017, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
No problem! I hear ya on the covering. That tends to occur frequently with our subs.
Just order the Satin Black VTF-15H MK2 not more than 5mins ago

Turn out the wife had no color preference, lol.
post #16 of 18 Old 03-10-2017, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Just order the Satin Black VTF-15H MK2 not more than 5mins ago

Turn out the wife had no color preference, lol.
Awesome! We did receive your order. Thank you so much! Let me know if you have any questions on setup, etc.

Kevin W.
Hsu Research
post #17 of 18 Old 06-28-2018, 04:57 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked: 190
@Lorderl

How do you like your VTF-15H MK2?
post #18 of 18 Old 06-28-2018, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pda15 View Post
@Lorderl

How do you like your VTF-15H MK2?
Hello, the HSU VTF-15H MK2 is a very good performing sub and a great value/price point. I set mine to max extension (1 port open) for movies and music. But its simple and quick to use the port plug for sealed mode.

In my room I had good tactile response and my listen level is -15 to -10mv (Denon 2809ci AVR).

I did sell the HSU sub as I wanted to move up to an 18" driver. I would easily recommend the VTF-15H MK2 but it depends on your room size/listening levels and expectations. I had the VTF-15H MK2 for ~1yr and enjoyed it very much.

Display: Samsung LN55B650
AVR: Denon 2809ci
Players: OPPO BDP-83 || Streaming: Amazon Fire TV || Kindle Fire HD8
Speakers: Paradigm Studio 20v3 || CC-570v3 || ADP-470v3
Sub: JTR Captivator 2400ULF-10hz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page